Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM  (Read 111433 times)

Tasty

Re: Game of Thrones Season 8, we can finally stop waiting on GURM
« Reply #1440 on: May 20, 2019, 02:42:32 PM »
If the nobles get together and elect a king after the old one dies then really the king has been made into a figurehead monarch, while the six noble houses plot and scheme to distribute wealth and power amongst themselves. It makes sense that Bran is king in that capacity. Not sure why Sansa would want to be independent, then - she loses her vote as a noble and the real power she has by having a large standing army relative to the other holds. The Iron Fleet is completely destroyed, right? And House Frey has no heirs, leaving Riverrun unoccupied? So, really, Queen Sansa can extend her sphere of influence all the way from Winterfell to Casterly Rock after she forces Tyrion to give it to her, which she can do because he has no soft or hard power available to him. And if Tyrion wants to defend it then he's going to have to ask Bronn of Highgarden (this still makes me lol), who would just take it for himself or at least a large portion in exchange, so there's no situation here where Tyrion doesn't lose most if not all of his title.

I guess what I'm saying here is that, aside from the nonexistent character development which you can just imagine if you close your eyes, there are huge power vacuums and new dynamics that deserve even just the slightest elaboration.

That's all well and good if Sansa's thinking of just the next decade, but the North being independent, even if it's just for a generation, is hugely important culturally. And if they can keep that independence up even longer, then that's all Sansa really wants anyways. She doesn't want power for its own sake, she just wants to protect her Northern allies.

In addition she probably trusts Bran enough to keep the 6 kingdoms playing nice under his rule, and to not try shit in the North -- he is a Stark after all, and I can't see any of the houses pulling any obviously anti-Stark/North shit under Bran's three-eyed rule.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1441 on: May 20, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »
Oh, so what you're saying is that Bran is a puppet monarch that keeps the six kingdoms under foreign domination of house stark :hmph
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #1443 on: May 20, 2019, 02:48:27 PM »
the North is largely barren, with the majority of the land being uninhabitable, and unviable for agriculture. The North is basically Russia, destined to consolidate military power and lash out at its more prosperous Southern neighbors.

agrajag

« Reply #1444 on: May 20, 2019, 02:49:10 PM »
And House Frey has no heirs, leaving Riverrun unoccupied?

Riverrun
spoiler (click to show/hide)
past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to   Howth Castle and Environs
[close]
is ruled by the Tullys, not the Freys. The Freys were a vassal house that temporarily usurped after the Red Wedding.

Yeah, and Edmure is alive.

Tasty

« Reply #1445 on: May 20, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »
Oh, so what you're saying is that Bran is a puppet monarch that keeps the six kingdoms under foreign domination of house stark :hmph

I mean, kinda? And that's gotta be what the people of Westeros think too, right? There's now two thrones, and Starks on both of them. There's no way the common people wouldn't be talking about nepotism and sibling plots.

That's not how I see it playing out in *reality,* just that Bran's rule is probably much less susceptible to plots against him (and his House) since he has three-eyed raven powers. And his name is Stark. More of a deterrent than an active quid pro quo thing.

Himu

« Reply #1446 on: May 20, 2019, 02:52:32 PM »
People are complaining about 24 hour rule for the biggest show on tv currently having a series finale. Sorry but fuck you.

https://twitter.com/Free11Be/status/1130511634290663424

https://twitter.com/ZayneC301/status/1130506419969642496

That's one thing I loved about GoT. It was the last show of my memory to have that "event" feel. It was the last show I can remember that had the feel of the pre-DVR era. Back in the day, if you didn't watch a show you were shit out of luck and no one would hold your hand. It was straight fuck you if you hadn't watched it and made priority to watch it. I miss shit like that. Where tv felt like a big cultural event. :rejoice GoT pissing on spoiler culture :rejoice
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1447 on: May 20, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »
lol imagine all the commoners who aren't privy to all the plot details, the Bran being clairvoyant three eyed raven, Jon being a Targ, etc.are all thinking wtf just happened. Why'd they make the crippled Stark boy king?

:huh

jorma

« Reply #1448 on: May 20, 2019, 02:55:32 PM »
Nah, he's going to be bran the builder II and bring peace and prosperity to the war savaged kingdom and be the most adored ruler in westeros since the dawn of man.

agrajag

« Reply #1449 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:16 PM »
how about Meghan McCain apologizes for being a war mongering, xenophobic, entitled, talentless, far right faildaughter

:pacspit

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1450 on: May 20, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
Dope finale I liked it especially Jon stabbing Dany YEAH BOYYY KING IN THE NORTH
What

samir

« Reply #1451 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »
HODOR IS THE TRUE KING HE WAS ROBBED

Himu

« Reply #1452 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:44 PM »
lol imagine all the commoners who aren't privy to all the plot details, the Bran being clairvoyant three eyed raven, Jon being a Targ, etc.are all thinking wtf just happened. Why'd they make the crippled Stark boy king?

:huh

:lol

Right? More than that, most of the lords there didn't know Bran's story. What were they catching up while Grey Worm went to fetch Tyrion? "Oh hey, we might execute my "brother" but let's talk about how I became the three eyed raven?"
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1453 on: May 20, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »
Nah, he's going to be bran the builder II and bring peace and prosperity to the war savaged kingdom and be the most adored ruler in westeros since the dawn of man.

I was *just* thinking of Bran the Builder parallels.

Himu

« Reply #1454 on: May 20, 2019, 02:59:39 PM »

I was *just* thinking of Bran the Builder parallels.

I think a theme with GRRM is that history repeats itself and that the wheel will never be broken.

Jon is Aemon, the exiled Targaryen; Bran is Bran the Builder. It's like poetry, it rhymes. Or something.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #1455 on: May 20, 2019, 02:59:46 PM »
lol imagine all the commoners
Dope finale I liked it especially Jon stabbing Dany YEAH BOYYY KING IN THE NORTH
I guess we don't have to imagine!
每天生气

samir

« Reply #1456 on: May 20, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
For all you nerds who also read the books, how much does the plot differ? And why is GRRM so fucking lazy?

Tasty

« Reply #1457 on: May 20, 2019, 03:02:53 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1458 on: May 20, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
For all you nerds who also read the books, how much does the plot differ?

Um. Vastly.

And why is GRRM so fucking lazy?

I wouldn't call him lazy. He just wrote himself into a hole.
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1459 on: May 20, 2019, 03:04:28 PM »
Its over now, go home

agrajag

« Reply #1460 on: May 20, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »
It's ridiculous that Sansa wouldn't quietly reinstate Jon after they all packed up and left. What are the Unsullied going to do? Good luck to a bunch of spearmen trying to get past Moat Cailin.

Sansa is a power hungry bitch, she never cared about Jon or Sansa or her father, etc.

shosta

« Reply #1461 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:14 PM »
It's ridiculous that Sansa wouldn't quietly reinstate Jon after they all packed up and left. What are the Unsullied going to do? Good luck to a bunch of spearmen trying to get past Moat Cailin.
aw yeah sorry big brother, nothing I can do, real travesty that, I'll keep the seat warm for you in case things change yeah?
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #1462 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »

I wonder how MmaRsu feels about being compared with a commoner.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1463 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »
Dude actually does seem to write a lot, and we can see that in all the other material he's published outside ASoIaF in addition to all the Winds chapters he's read at cons, etc.

Problem is even by his own admittence, Winds is way too long and the publishers are basically begging him to split it up some how.

I'm sure a big part of him doing supplemental stuff is because he wrote himself into a few holes though, but at least he ironically has the show now to maybe help him out of them. :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1464 on: May 20, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »
Shows over

Close thread plz

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #1466 on: May 20, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
Won’t the remaining dothraki rape and kill Bran like a week after he takes the throne since he’s all weak and shit?
serge

shosta

« Reply #1467 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:11 PM »
But it's kinda what Jon wants so whatever lol
obligatory

每天生气

Himu

« Reply #1468 on: May 20, 2019, 03:15:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/bethisloco/status/1130341245170020353

Did we talk about the water bottle? Who hired the PA's on that fucking set man?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1469 on: May 20, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
This post aged well.

Unfortunately, whether the final episode is good or not I feel it will be divisive.

You have:

- People who think this should end like a Disney movie
- Cynical book readers
- Cynical tv watchers
- People who have legitimate criticisms but seem to be overblowing them
- Generic fantasy fans who expect LOTR
- People who are ride or die hardcore
- People who just want to see it all burn
- People that have realistic expectations of the show
- Casual fans
- Theorists
- People who bitch about everything no matter how good or bad it is
- Some of us have been watching for one year and binge watched it because of the hype for the last season
- the rest of us have been a fan of the books and show for a decade plus

And we're all in one big pot.

In other words...

(Image removed from quote.)
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #1470 on: May 20, 2019, 03:21:52 PM »
yeah dothraki running amuck in King's Landing is every far right nationalist's wet dream. Let's send these horse eating savages back to their mud huts and Make Westeros Great Again!

Tasty

« Reply #1471 on: May 20, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »
Jon *wanted* to be on the Wall, or north of it, whatever. How many times does the dude need to say "fuck off I don't want this" before people realize he's kind of a weird loner who made more friends among wildlings than Westerosi before his untimely (but great PR-wise) death and resurrection.

Jon Snow is the equivalent of Solid Snake at the end of MGS1. Except replace Meryl with Tormund.

Edit- Beaten but I think I'm onto something with the Snake comparison.

Tasty

« Reply #1472 on: May 20, 2019, 03:26:39 PM »
Won’t the remaining dothraki rape and kill Bran like a week after he takes the throne since he’s all weak and shit?

He may be weak in body, but they're weak in mind. He'd warg into any would-be assassin, if it came to that. Most likely he'd tell some guards ahead of time before the force arrived.

Maybe. The full extent of Bran's powers were never really well established, even before he became the 3ER.

El Babua

« Reply #1473 on: May 20, 2019, 03:33:04 PM »
Dude actually does seem to write a lot, and we can see that in all the other material he's published outside ASoIaF in addition to all the Winds chapters he's read at cons, etc.

Problem is even by his own admittence, Winds is way too long and the publishers are basically begging him to split it up some how.

I'm sure a big part of him doing supplemental stuff is because he wrote himself into a few holes though, but at least he ironically has the show now to maybe help him out of them. :lol

He's not as slow as people claim. He did write a 200k+ word tome on Targaryen kings in between Dance and Winds. I'm guessing it's both structural issues he dealt himself from Feast/Dance on top of making sure Winds is satisfying after those 2 books being essentially build up.

Again, it's rumored he supposedly had an almost complete version of Winds in 2015 but he pulled it back cause he was unsatisfied with the material. Same deal with dance where he had like a 600 - 700 page head start and it still took him 6 years.

Tasty

« Reply #1474 on: May 20, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1475 on: May 20, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »
imagine choosing to live under a surveillance state with the promise of a little more security and peace  ::)

Himu

« Reply #1476 on: May 20, 2019, 03:35:57 PM »
Otakon is an even better parallel than Meryl.

I still don't understand how Sam became a Grandmaester without a single ring.
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #1477 on: May 20, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
If the nobles get together and elect a king after the old one dies then really the king has been made into a figurehead monarch, while the six noble houses plot and scheme to distribute wealth and power amongst themselves.

That’s pretty much every real world monarchy ever. Absolute power was always a myth.

Bebpo

« Reply #1478 on: May 20, 2019, 04:11:39 PM »
For all you nerds who also read the books, how much does the plot differ? And why is GRRM so fucking lazy?

Lotta differences in how characters are portrayed. Like Stannis is way different (and fucking awesome) and still alive in the book. Book Jaime is pretty different too. Also a lot of other characters and their arcs.

I mean the thing is if you just enjoy the character arcs along the way, the book has like double the cast and that's a bunch of good stories you don't get in the show. Like Quentyn Martell in Book 5 is a fun arc that is missing from the show.

I kinda want GRRM to get pissed at the show spoiling his old concept outline and just make a lot of things even more different because of that. Like don't bring Jon back (since the last book ended cliffhanger on his assassination) lol, that'd be hilarious. Or have him be a wolf for the rest of the series or something.
Or say fuck all these losers and let Stannis sit on the throne in the end. Hell, if he makes it past Winterfell in the books and closer to endgame I'll be happy.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1479 on: May 20, 2019, 04:25:31 PM »
Otakon is an even better parallel than Meryl.

I still don't understand how Sam became a Grandmaester without a single ring.

It‘s a metaphor for the higher education system. They‘ll give you a degree for pretty much anything these days. :smug

Himu

« Reply #1480 on: May 20, 2019, 04:26:27 PM »

Lotta differences in how characters are portrayed. Like Stannis is way different (and fucking awesome) and still alive in the book. Book Jaime is pretty different too. Also a lot of other characters and their arcs.

I mean the thing is if you just enjoy the character arcs along the way, the book has like double the cast and that's a bunch of good stories you don't get in the show. Like Quentyn Martell in Book 5 is a fun arc that is missing from the show.

I kinda want GRRM to get pissed at the show spoiling his old concept outline and just make a lot of things even more different because of that. Like don't bring Jon back (since the last book ended cliffhanger on his assassination) lol, that'd be hilarious. Or have him be a wolf for the rest of the series or something.
Or say fuck all these losers and let Stannis sit on the throne in the end. Hell, if he makes it past Winterfell in the books and closer to endgame I'll be happy.

ASOIAF as we know now from the book Sam showed is about Dany and Jon though.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1481 on: May 20, 2019, 04:27:33 PM »
I put a question mark there.  I really meant for that thread though, didn't word that well. lol

Damn it. :fbm

agrajag

« Reply #1482 on: May 20, 2019, 04:41:05 PM »
what's the story behind TIMU's beef with riotous?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1483 on: May 20, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1484 on: May 20, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »

Real talk though, they have said that dragons are very smart. I have no idea why people have an issue with Drogon destroying the throne. Now flying off to his home planet with Dany tho...
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #1485 on: May 20, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »
Note: Drogon died on the way back to his home planet.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1486 on: May 20, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Speaking of power vacuums, is there a single lord in either realm that is on par with Sansa for her hand in marriage? You could say Bronn or fucking Gendry but it seems to me that Sansa would be marrying beneath her station.

That's why I made the Queen Elizabeth I reference in my tl;dr post. Unless she marries for ~true love~ (which I'm sure her deceased brother would caution against could he) there's no logical marriage as alliance available.

Maybe in 50 years Doofus Karstark, first of his name, will marry some Tully or whatever and defuse regional tensions a la Dorne but that's way down the line.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1487 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
There is always the Habsburg method. :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1488 on: May 20, 2019, 05:10:51 PM »
The Throne was like the ring from LOTR. Only those who don't seek power were immune (Ned, Robert, Bran).

The red priests, the blood magic, the lord of light, prophecies, they had some neat tricks but it was all bullshit that meant nothing.

Anyhow, between the North keeping its independence and handing Bronn the most wealthy lands (the Lannister mines ran dry as Tywin mentioned) they're setting themselves up for another terrible decade.
Also, I might've missed him but I didn't see Gendry Baratheon at the council meeting. Probably plotting somewhere to retake the throne too.

Tyrion's arc is surprisingly the saddest. He directly or indirectly kills most of his family and friends and finally he convinces Jon to kill the one person he believed in as well.

Also a big L to Grey Worm. Yes, the Northmen and probably the Knights of the Vale and Dornish were camped outside Kings Landing.
Still, he had all the lords and ladies in one place and could've easily had the Unsullied kill them all, thus 'Breaking the Wheel'.

After all it was Petyr Baelish who set all these people up to start the war and it still seems like most of them didn't realize he was the sole architect of most of the conflicts between the great houses.
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #1489 on: May 20, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
Maybe that‘s what Arya is doing, find a brother in law. :thinking

The best method is to wait a few years and see which house could become dangerous in the future and try to control them and keep them loyal via marriage.

Before you ask, yes, I have played Crusader Kings II as you can see. :smug

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1491 on: May 20, 2019, 05:17:06 PM »
One of the spin offs is probably The Legend of Arya: The Wind Waker.
She had not once brought up this idea of heading west or using a boat to do anything.

The Starks also have ships now and she's a captain that knows how to command a ship.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #1492 on: May 20, 2019, 05:17:50 PM »
Nintex, Gendry was at the council.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #1493 on: May 20, 2019, 05:18:17 PM »
Sailing off to find new lands after rejecting birthright privileges is The Phantom Hourglass :ufup
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1494 on: May 20, 2019, 05:25:10 PM »
I mean her brother is King of the 6 Kingdoms, I'm sure he can commandeer a boat for her.

Entire thing was a bit silly but where she got the boat from is hardly some unsolved mystery.
You mean, after Davos has a back and forth with Bronn about if they should fund ships or brothels?
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #1495 on: May 20, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
What do you think is Arya‘s credit score at the bank of braavos?

daemon

« Reply #1496 on: May 20, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
Guys, the North is not part of the 6 Kingdoms. They can do a ship for the sister of the Queen in the North lmao.

BisMarckie

« Reply #1497 on: May 20, 2019, 05:35:49 PM »
Guys, the North is not part of the 6 Kingdoms.

In name only.
Kara, please tell this ignoramus about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. ::)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1498 on: May 20, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
- Stannis takes control of the Royal Fleet when Robert dies
- Tyrion destroys most of the Royal Fleet with Wildfire during the battle of the blackwater
- Stannis takes the remainder of the Royal fleet (a handful of ships) and sails beyond the wall to 'save' Jon Snow
- Cersei notices the lack of a fleet at Kings Landing and allies herself with Euron and the Iron Fleet
- Grey Worm tries to take Casterly Rock, surprise attack from Euron destroys the Unsullied fleet
- Dany moves with her army to Kings Landing from Dragonstone. Euron destroys their ships. Leaving them stranded.
- Dany has to wait for Jon Snow to walk from Winterfell to Kings Landing with the rest of her armies
- Dany burns the Iron Fleet and every other ship in King's Landing
- A new King has been picked
- Grey Worm leaves for Naath with the Unsullied taking seemingly every ship with him
- The North is ravaged by the Night King and depleted from the wars. Thousands of Northmen are still camped outside Kings Landing waiting for Sansa to broker for peace with the Unsullied
- Bronn prioritizes spending on brothels vs. spending on ships
- Arya magically acquires a ship and a crew for this fun idea she has
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1499 on: May 20, 2019, 05:52:32 PM »
I dunno, a ship seems like a rare and valuable commodity not something you can just grab and run off with.

The same with how fast they had seemingly rebuild the red keep. I guess those Dothraki are pretty good builders?

🤴