Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 149046 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1620 on: October 27, 2022, 02:34:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1585577136940756992

Sometimes I just don’t understand.

This is the kind of shit that makes one lose all hope. The whole point of this is to show body issues and how she struggles with her self image and then some fatties got upset that she uses the word "fat"

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1621 on: October 27, 2022, 02:34:37 PM »

The fat activist crowd is low key (as the kids say) the craziest online. Like if Lizzo (or someone else who has made a big deal out of being proud to be fat) lost weight theres a decent chance someone would legit try killing her.
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1622 on: October 27, 2022, 02:57:57 PM »
lol I just got to this scene in persona 4 (skip to 50 seconds for intense fatphobia)

also Romaphobia at 1:57 :wag
Uncle

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1623 on: October 27, 2022, 03:02:27 PM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1624 on: October 27, 2022, 04:06:14 PM »
not gonna lie a fat/chubby swift wouldn't be attractive.

HaughtyFrank

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 05:17:30 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #1628 on: October 27, 2022, 09:56:27 PM »

The fat activist crowd is low key (as the kids say) the craziest online. Like if Lizzo (or someone else who has made a big deal out of being proud to be fat) lost weight theres a decent chance someone would legit try killing her.
Probably why the Queen capitulated and edited her video.

We've as a society apparently decided to not only worship the Heckler's Veto but grant it to the most delusional and irrational people we can find.

benjipwns

« Reply #1629 on: October 28, 2022, 12:37:18 AM »
Parts of Twitter are apparently quite mad about this vicious anti-Asian racism from The Daily Show in the middle of the most dangerous time to ever be Asian:
https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1584923487319121920

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1630 on: October 28, 2022, 08:39:15 AM »
Thanks Musk, see what it has become?

Himu

« Reply #1631 on: October 28, 2022, 09:05:39 AM »
Thanks Musk, see what it has become?

I don't understand.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1632 on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
You don't understand satire.

benjipwns

« Reply #1633 on: October 28, 2022, 09:19:56 AM »

Himu

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1635 on: October 28, 2022, 09:28:12 AM »
Last week the behaviour geneticist James Lee wrote an article in City Journal about how the National Institutes of Health (NIH; the US government’s major funder of biomedical research) is blocking scientists from accessing certain kinds of data.

The NIH holds a lot of genetic data in its Database of Genotypes and Phenotypes, or dbGaP for short. To access it for research purposes, you have to send in an application (that is, you can’t just click to download the data). But according to Lee, if you’re doing research on the genetics of specific traits, you might be unlucky. He writes that:
My colleagues at other universities and I have run into problems involving applications to study the relationships among intelligence, education, and health outcomes. Sometimes, NIH denies access to some of the attributes that I have just mentioned, on the grounds that studying their genetic basis is “stigmatizing.” Sometimes, it demands updates about ongoing research, with the implied threat that it could withdraw usage if it doesn’t receive satisfactory answers. In some cases, NIH has retroactively withdrawn access for research it had previously approved.
And it’s not like these are studies on the ultra-controversial parts of intelligence research:
Note that none of the studies I am referring to include inquiries into race or sex differences. Apparently, NIH is clamping down on a broad range of attempts to explore the relationship between genetics and intelligence.
Except, the NIH don’t agree. When we tried to access GWAS summary statistics from a 2019 GWAS on Alzheimer’s disease which was stored on another NIH site, called NIAGADS (the National Institute on Aging Genetics of Alzheimer's Disease Data Storage Site), we were stopped in our tracks by the following rule:
Please note that these summary data should not be used for research into the genetics of intelligence, education, social outcomes such as income, or potentially sensitive behavioral traits such as alcohol or drug addictions.
Huh. I should note that there are many downloadable datasets on the same website that don’t have this restriction: it seems to apply to this one and a couple of others that I could immediately find (one that’s also about Alzheimer’s, and one that’s about brain MRI scan data).
No justification of this rule is given on the page, and I couldn’t find any more specifics anywhere. I emailed NIAGADS to ask what the rationale was, and they replied using similar language to that quoted in the James Lee article above:
…the association of genetic data with any of these parameters can be stigmatizing to the individuals or groups of individuals in a particular study. Any type of stigmatization that could be associated with genetic data is contrary to NIH policy.
More worrying, though, is the fact that this rule could stymie potentially-important research on ageing. Alzheimer’s is all about your cognitive abilities—your memory, but more broadly your intelligence—declining to such a point that it causes you serious problems in your everyday life, causes you to lose your independence, and so on. The ageing of our cognitive abilities—whether or not this turns into diagnosable dementia—is going to become a bigger and bigger issue in ageing societies. NIH preventing scientists from using genetic data on Alzheimer’s to learn about the genetics of intelligence could easily slow down research into cognitive ageing - and into treatments for it.

And for what? If you think my points above are a bit vague (“there might be benefits in future”), then that’s in part because the benefits of science are often hard to predict - that’s why we give scientists freedom of inquiry. But few people ever question the precision of the language on the other side of the argument: should we just accept that (a) this research really is “stigmatising”; (b) that this stigmatisation causes actual quantifiable harm in the real world; and (c) that these harms outweigh the potential benefits of research on these topics going ahead? If there’s a case for any of these points, it’s never laid out with any accompanying evidence.
This NIH kind of rule is clearly, in part at least, a reaction to that kind of research. But it’s not clear that it’s required: to access the NIAGADS data, you have to submit a letter from your university’s ethics board saying they approve of the research, as well as a biographical sketch to show that the lead researcher has the experience necessary to handle the data, along with other documents. Only scholars from bona fide universities are going to even attempt to access these data - many of the internet-troll researchers don’t have a university affiliation in the first place.

Also, though, and as mentioned by James Lee in his article, the rule doesn’t specifically ban research that’s on race or sex differences. It doesn’t specifically ban research that’s poorly designed, or confounded. It bans all research to do with genetics, intelligence, or income that uses these data. Even a study that used these data to show that “actually it’s not possible to learn anything useful about race or sex differences using these data due to XYZ statistical and methodological problems” would be blocked. That’s obviously an overreaction, an overcorrection to the problem of low-quality research in the field.

If your response to a few crank researchers using particular data is to stop all researchers from using it, you’re creating very bad incentives. As I noted in my little 2015 book on intelligence, it’s already the case that the loudest voices on this issue are those from the extremes - researchers who massively overplay the role of intelligence in explaining society, or those who deny it’s a measurable or useful quantity in the first place. If you forbid people from doing the research, not only will it attract the attention of controversialist cranks—many of whom are right now taking to Twitter to say that “the NIH knows these data show we’re right, and are covering this up”—but it’ll make mainstream, non-crank researchers want to avoid it even more.
I shouldn’t have to state this, but sometimes things can be true and also upsetting. A lot of people argue, for example, that doctors advising obese patients to lose weight is “stigmatising” - but obesity is a very well-established risk factor for all sorts of health problems. If you’re going to ban research that might be “stigmatising”, shouldn’t you also ban research on obesity - let alone on its genetics?

And why stop there? People often object to specific kinds of research for political or other partisan reasons. I often see Scientologists protesting outside the psychiatric hospital near where I work. They are—or they profess to be—very upset and offended by psychiatry, both in practice and research, and its “human rights abuses”. Obviously it would be a terrible idea to ban researchers from using certain datasets if they wanted to look at psychiatric outcomes - even if that kind of research really riled up the followers of L. Ron Hubbard.

This would be akin to the “heckler’s veto” that’s often mentioned in arguments about free speech - stopping someone from exercising their right to free expression because someone else react (or might react) loudly or violently to what they’re expressing. Are we really comfortable with saying that anytime anyone feels stigmatised by research—or just might feel that way—we should scrap the research, rather than making it clear that, following David Hume, we must rigorously separate the findings of research (the “is”) from the way we treat people or organise society (the “ought”)?

Of course, I say “precedent”, but actually the precedent has already been set. You might have seen that the journal Nature Human Behaviour recently published an editorial which stated that they’d be consulting “advocacy groups” about whether papers on controversial topics should be accepted - or even retroactively corrected or retracted. As Jesse Singal wrote at the time, this was worryingly vague, in exactly the same way as the “mission creep” I mentioned above. Could perfectly sound research be nonetheless pulled from the journal because one of the advocacy groups advocated particularly strongly against it? From the way the editorial was written, it seemed perfectly possible (the journal has more recently published some examples in an attempt to clarify that vagueness).
:science

jorma

« Reply #1636 on: October 28, 2022, 09:32:58 AM »
Parts of Twitter are apparently quite mad about this vicious anti-Asian racism from The Daily Show in the middle of the most dangerous time to ever be Asian:

[close]

First trevor noah, then james from the bore.com and now this, honestly i think 'muricans should be banned from talking about race in europe, because it's probably going to end up being racist  :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #1637 on: October 28, 2022, 09:41:24 AM »

[close]

:info

Is this where woke humour is going? Because it's terrible.

"How come I don't feel represented :gurl ??" /rimshot

Himu

« Reply #1638 on: October 28, 2022, 09:52:26 AM »
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1639 on: October 28, 2022, 01:01:11 PM »
 :donot

facebook boomer content
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1640 on: October 28, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »
https://twitter.com/MattZeitlin/status/1585671467970215936

:yeshrug

tbf i bet he isn't the first or last highly successful artist to consider doing that just to see if they can get away with it :yeshrug
(ice)

Tasty

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1642 on: October 29, 2022, 05:01:40 AM »
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1643 on: October 29, 2022, 05:23:33 AM »
More like Ultra Deluxe Plus Plus Plus-size.

What's the short called? Oink?

Himu

« Reply #1644 on: October 29, 2022, 07:28:40 AM »
Until she loses weight from ballet and they riot
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1647 on: October 29, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »

Himu

« Reply #1649 on: October 29, 2022, 07:55:55 PM »
We have to get Kanye on his fucking meds.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1650 on: October 29, 2022, 08:09:23 PM »
Musk, Ye, Trump, Zuckerberg, Gates ... America's oligarchs are unhinged I wonder what crazy hijinks Bezos is up to
🤴

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1651 on: October 29, 2022, 08:15:34 PM »
My first reaction was hold on Bezos isn't Jewish. But after some google searches that may have put me on an FBI watch list, apparently these bozos believe that Bezos and others are initiated into Judaism on some Bohemian Grove shit.

benjipwns

« Reply #1652 on: October 29, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
My first reaction was hold on Bezos isn't Jewish. But after some google searches that may have put me on an FBI watch list, apparently these bozos believe that Bezos and others are initiated into Judaism on some Bohemian Grove shit.
You think Jorgensen is just some common Danish name, it's really deep secret Jewish because Frederick III allowed the Sepharadim or "Hispanic" Jews to come to the Kingdom, you'll note that Bezos is the name of his Cuban-American step-father also a Hispanic, if you'll turn to page 356 in the pamphlet you'll see this chart...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1653 on: October 29, 2022, 08:33:19 PM »
Should have known. He keeps his hair cut off so we don't see the kink/nappiness of his hair.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1654 on: October 30, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/DillardVicki/status/1586346869139001344

:yeshrug

That comment was promoted in reddit by just 1 random user in any sub it allowed to post it. I discovered by accident just searching about Kanye last meltdown.

Then the alt righters bitch about manufactured controversies  ::) .

HaughtyFrank

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1656 on: October 30, 2022, 06:54:40 PM »
Uncle

Boredfrom

« Reply #1657 on: October 30, 2022, 07:23:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Being fair, there is a lot of people that will want to actually educate you about progressive stuff. The reactionaries are usually the ones that don’t want to bother because they are as clueless as the average person.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1658 on: October 30, 2022, 07:24:11 PM »
I like how the nazi guy looks like Alex navvaro :society
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1659 on: October 30, 2022, 08:43:33 PM »
The biggest problem in news media is that the same line of thinking has given birth to the paywalls.
This was especially ridiculous during the COVID Pandemic. "We're not telling you important medical information unless you pay $10 a month"

In the other side you will get articles, podcasts, interviews, books and newsletters and most of it for free across a variety of channels.
You want to stream CNN as they cover an important live event? You can't on YouTube.

You want to hear what the leader of NATO has to say? Here's a 3 second soundbyte from a 3 hour interview. You didn't see the clip on Twitter? Sorry you missed it.
You want to hear Tulsi's take? Here's a 4 hour podcast with Joe Rogan. Russell Brand's reaction video of that same podcast, Jimmy Dore's summary of that same podcast, Tulsi's own reaction to the podcast, Tucker's segment on the podcast etc. .
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #1660 on: October 30, 2022, 09:20:34 PM »
 :gaas

benjipwns

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1663 on: October 31, 2022, 09:02:12 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1664 on: November 01, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »
People so obsessed with demanding "correct" representation they force an 18 year old kid to come out

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1587404847065743360

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1665 on: November 01, 2022, 03:38:00 PM »
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1666 on: November 01, 2022, 03:49:47 PM »
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1667 on: November 01, 2022, 04:22:50 PM »
:wut

That's the issue they have with the concept?  :steel

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1668 on: November 01, 2022, 10:34:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/magiciansbook/status/1585323578429415424

The review, the twitter responses...garbage.

benjipwns

« Reply #1669 on: November 01, 2022, 10:44:57 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1670 on: November 01, 2022, 10:46:33 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1671 on: November 02, 2022, 08:58:38 AM »
Might be a top 10 weirdest thing I've read this year, in a year full of weird shit. Mainly because this is not some tiktoking college kid with the literary IQ of a third grader, misreading Huck Finn. She's a well read literary critic.

Polident Hive

« Reply #1672 on: November 02, 2022, 11:42:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1587111930350682116

Is something in the water. Is it the weather. What’s going on.

benjipwns

« Reply #1673 on: November 02, 2022, 11:44:30 PM »
Tweet really undersells the disclaimer on that quote.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1676 on: November 03, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »
https://twitter.com/UN_Women/status/1587777181081559041

I'm really trying to understand why someone would make a tweet like this. Like clearly the problem is that journalists are targeted, not that 1/10 of them are women?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1677 on: November 03, 2022, 12:31:51 PM »
https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1587111930350682116

Is something in the water. Is it the weather. What’s going on.

Hitler. Jesse Owens hater. Forced sterilizer of black Germans. Friend of the black man.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1678 on: November 03, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »
I'm really trying to understand why someone would make a tweet like this. Like clearly the problem is that journalists are targeted, not that 1/10 of them are women?

look, when people name a specific demographic that needs help and all you can come back with is ALL lives matter...
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1679 on: November 03, 2022, 01:33:05 PM »

look, when people name a specific demographic that needs help and all you can come back with is ALL lives matter...

https://twitter.com/tragicbirdapp/status/1588215743656579072

:doge