Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 149046 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #1801 on: November 29, 2022, 06:46:13 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #1803 on: November 30, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
That was only because of the Twitter and YouTube algorithms directing people to lies rather than truthful reviews, all of which universally loved it.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1804 on: November 30, 2022, 11:24:44 AM »
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Author warns about 'epidemic of self-censorship
In a BBC lecture on freedom of speech, the writer said young people were growing up "afraid to ask questions for fear of asking the wrong questions".

Such a climate could lead to "the death of curiosity, the death of learning and the death of creativity", the award-winning Nigerian author warned.

"No human endeavour requires freedom as much as creativity does," she added.

She said literature was increasingly viewed "through ideological rather than artistic lenses".

She continued: "Nothing demonstrates this better than the recent phenomenon of 'sensitivity readers' in the world of publishing, people whose job it is to cleanse unpublished manuscripts of potentially offensive words.

"This, in my mind, negates the very idea of literature."

If any of the books that had "formed and inspired and consoled" her had been censored, "I would perhaps today be lost", she said.

The 45-year-old also expressed concern that some people don't speak up for fear of vicious criticism or becoming the latest target of cancel culture.
"We are all familiar with stories of people who have said or written something and then faced a terrible online backlash," she said.

"There is a difference between valid criticism, which should be part of free expression, and this kind of backlash, ugly personal insults, putting addresses of homes and children's schools online, trying to make people lose their jobs.

"To anyone who thinks, well, some people who have said terrible things deserve it - no. Nobody deserves it. It is unconscionable barbarism. It is a virtual vigilante action whose aim is not just to silence the person who has spoken, but to create a vengeful atmosphere that deters others from speaking."
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63797087

No lies detected

Himu

« Reply #1805 on: December 01, 2022, 03:08:59 AM »
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1807 on: December 01, 2022, 02:08:26 PM »
 :crazy
Kanye saying something so out of pocket that even Alex Jones starts to squirm and feel uncomfortable about it.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1808 on: December 01, 2022, 02:19:51 PM »
Kanye saying something so out of pocket that even Alex Jones starts to squirm and feel uncomfortable about it.

I'm not sure where Kanye can go from here. Maybe some people at a KKK meeting will agree with him

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1809 on: December 01, 2022, 02:57:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/sarafischer/status/1598400227295514624

I'm not sure where Kanye can go from here. Maybe some people at a KKK meeting will agree with him

The Republican Primary
🤴

Himu

« Reply #1810 on: December 01, 2022, 03:17:31 PM »

I really fear he might kill himself
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #1811 on: December 01, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »
Yeah the way that these conservative influencers are using Kanye for views is really reminding me of the whole Etika thing.

Himu

« Reply #1812 on: December 01, 2022, 06:20:30 PM »
Yeah, Kanye is at a very crucial juncture and reading that he has to pay all that child support and the divorce finalization might send him into the deep end. It's arguable given his months of unhinged behavior that he's already there.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1813 on: December 01, 2022, 09:51:22 PM »
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Author warns about 'epidemic of self-censorship
In a BBC lecture on freedom of speech, the writer said young people were growing up "afraid to ask questions for fear of asking the wrong questions".

Such a climate could lead to "the death of curiosity, the death of learning and the death of creativity", the award-winning Nigerian author warned.

"No human endeavour requires freedom as much as creativity does," she added.

She said literature was increasingly viewed "through ideological rather than artistic lenses".

She continued: "Nothing demonstrates this better than the recent phenomenon of 'sensitivity readers' in the world of publishing, people whose job it is to cleanse unpublished manuscripts of potentially offensive words.

"This, in my mind, negates the very idea of literature."

If any of the books that had "formed and inspired and consoled" her had been censored, "I would perhaps today be lost", she said.

The 45-year-old also expressed concern that some people don't speak up for fear of vicious criticism or becoming the latest target of cancel culture.
"We are all familiar with stories of people who have said or written something and then faced a terrible online backlash," she said.

"There is a difference between valid criticism, which should be part of free expression, and this kind of backlash, ugly personal insults, putting addresses of homes and children's schools online, trying to make people lose their jobs.

"To anyone who thinks, well, some people who have said terrible things deserve it - no. Nobody deserves it. It is unconscionable barbarism. It is a virtual vigilante action whose aim is not just to silence the person who has spoken, but to create a vengeful atmosphere that deters others from speaking."
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63797087

No lies detected
Knew I recognized the name of this foaming at the mouth alt-right monster:
Since 2017, Adichie has been repeatedly accused of transphobia, initially for saying that "my feeling is trans women are trans women" in response to the question "Are trans women women?"[82][55] Adichie later clarified her statement, writing: "[p]erhaps I should have said trans women are trans women and cis women are cis women and all are women. Except that 'cis' is not an organic part of my vocabulary. And would probably not be understood by a majority of people. Because saying 'trans' and 'cis' acknowledges that there is a distinction between women born female and women who transition, without elevating one or the other, which was my point. I have and will continue to stand up for the rights of transgender people."[83]

In 2020, Adichie weighed into "all the noise" sparked by J. K. Rowling's article titled "J.K. Rowling Writes about Her Reasons for Speaking out on Sex and Gender Issues",[84] and called the essay "perfectly reasonable".[85] Adichie again faced accusations of transphobia, some of which came from Nigerian author Akwaeke Emezi, who had graduated from Adichie's writing workshop.[86] In response to the backlash, Adichie criticised cancel culture, saying: "There's a sense in which you aren't allowed to learn and grow. Also forgiveness is out of the question. I find it so lacking in compassion."[84]

In a June 2021 essay titled "It Is Obscene", Adichie again criticised cancel culture, discussing her experiences with two unnamed writers who attended her writing workshop and later lambasted her on social media over comments she made about transgender people. She labelled what she called their "passionate performance of virtue that is well executed in the public space of Twitter but not in the intimate space of friendship" as "obscene".[87][88]
Once again we just have FREEZE PEACH warriors wanting to be able to say slurs and make up shit like "cancel culture" because they're really ontologically evil fascists for whom the cruelty is the point.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1814 on: December 01, 2022, 11:57:57 PM »
:O

benjipwns

« Reply #1815 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:43 AM »
Now who looks better for stanning P!nk and Pitbull over "The Greatest Of All Time" who rapped through a broken jaw. :ego

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1816 on: December 02, 2022, 03:42:11 AM »
🤴

james

« Reply #1817 on: December 02, 2022, 01:48:04 PM »
Hearing a lot of good things about this Hitler guy. Man of the year that revolutionized communication and transport as we know it? Wow. Wonder what else he got up to.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1818 on: December 02, 2022, 01:55:27 PM »
Kanye reached the "mentally ill homeless man on subway" stage

https://twitter.com/RobertsToHell/status/1598710249845706752

No idea if anyone can help this guy anymore

james

« Reply #1819 on: December 02, 2022, 02:52:36 PM »
This Hitler guy published a book, was an artist, a successful political, AND a general?

What an accomplished gentleman. Cant believe he died so young.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1820 on: December 02, 2022, 02:54:51 PM »
Hitler died?! I didn’t even know he was sick!
Margs

james

« Reply #1821 on: December 02, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Hitler died?! I didn’t even know he was sick!

Apparently suicide. We really need to do more to help people with depression. So many bright minds lost

benjipwns

« Reply #1822 on: December 02, 2022, 06:58:49 PM »
To be fair, I don't think Hitler would have lived much longer anyway. Some angry guys in adidas track suits were looking around Berlin for him talking about how he broke some kind of deal they had.

Himu

« Reply #1823 on: December 02, 2022, 07:30:17 PM »
Kanye reached the "mentally ill homeless man on subway" stage

https://twitter.com/RobertsToHell/status/1598710249845706752

No idea if anyone can help this guy anymore

This is so sad. I loved his music and shit. MBDTF, College Dropout, Last Reg, and 808s are classics. This is so heartbreaking.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #1824 on: December 03, 2022, 12:43:56 AM »
This is so sad. I loved his music and shit. MBDTF, College Dropout, Last Reg, and 808s are classics. This is so heartbreaking.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1825 on: December 03, 2022, 12:51:32 AM »
I do genuinely feel bad for Kanye (and moreso for any family and friends that genuinely care for the man), but I also wonder if him being such a public figure might be something that helps more than hinders in this instance, versus the aforementioned Etika, who during his mental breakdown was just popular enough to become a target of some truly fucking trash people (who all deserve to burn in hell).

Himu

« Reply #1826 on: December 03, 2022, 02:02:04 AM »
Watching that video made me cry! He really needs help. :fbm
IYKYK

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1827 on: December 04, 2022, 03:44:29 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

« Reply #1828 on: December 04, 2022, 10:45:05 PM »
That's one of those times when they'd win more customers than they'd lose by replying "it's upside down, dummy."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1829 on: December 05, 2022, 06:04:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/FreeBeacon/status/1599867671629029376

So if Mike Lindell makes an ad buy during the Super Bowl...
🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1830 on: December 05, 2022, 09:26:30 PM »

What the fuck Coca Cola

benjipwns

« Reply #1831 on: December 11, 2022, 03:31:30 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #1832 on: December 11, 2022, 03:32:27 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1833 on: December 11, 2022, 05:13:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1601635260630208512

What are the odds that the prisoner swapped Merchant of Death and the Lesbian Sports woman are on the opposite sides of the culture war :titus
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1834 on: December 11, 2022, 07:51:38 AM »
Not being a dick or anything, but if I was trading a prisoner called THE MERCHANT OF DEATH I'd want someone better back than a stoner idiot. Bad deal! :trumps

It's like swapping a charizard card for a fucking jigglypuff, I'd want Snowden at least :phil
(ice)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1835 on: December 11, 2022, 08:05:17 AM »
It's funny how even a prisoner trade becomes part of the culture war. Republicans seem a little too upset while at the same time democrats seem a little too relaxed about freeing an arms dealer.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1836 on: December 11, 2022, 09:10:35 AM »
It's funny how even a prisoner trade becomes part of the culture war. Republicans seem a little too upset while at the same time democrats seem a little too relaxed about freeing an arms dealer.
An arms dealer that completely agrees with the alpha wankdad philosophy and supports gun ownership no less  :lol

There were also pictures of Brittney Griner in her Russian prison and everyone was sort of surprised that her conditions weren't the evil Disney empire isolation cell they might expect.
Again this angered both sides because the liberals could not be mad at Russia for treating her badly and the Republicans did not get their expected torture chamber snuff film to show what happens if you are a sinner.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1837 on: December 11, 2022, 01:55:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1601001743218778113

Within the first lines the author acknowledges that less than 2% of Argentina's current population are black but then keeps going on. I'm honestly not quite sure about what point it's making

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1838 on: December 11, 2022, 02:30:51 PM »
Who the fuck thinks Argentina is a "white" nation besides ignorant Americans writing for the Washington Post? Like have they never watched a world cup game with them in it before? Or is Lionel Messi the only Argentine they know so base it off that?

Also as far as I'm aware the difference between white and black and all your racial shit is completely different in South America, apparently (I heard this on a BBC radio show years ago) the original (aka fat) Ronaldo considers himself white and he'd be seen as a black man most other places :elon
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1839 on: December 11, 2022, 02:40:59 PM »
More than half of their team are Latinx by American standards anyway :teehee
(ice)

james

« Reply #1840 on: December 11, 2022, 03:32:59 PM »
Every team that has lost so far has had zero trans players

Makes you think

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1841 on: December 11, 2022, 10:06:08 PM »
Every team that has lost so far has had zero trans players

Makes you think
Stop erasing the non-binary players. There were none of them either you genocider
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #1842 on: December 12, 2022, 12:22:00 AM »

benjipwns

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1844 on: December 12, 2022, 09:36:43 AM »
I've never seen the Witcher (or played the game) but it's been interesting reading what's happening, post-Henry Cavill's departure for them not giving a shit about the books. Netflix greenlit a prequel show that follows in line with the Rings Of Power approach of throwing the books out the window, filling the cast with diversity and expecting success. I'm not opposed to adding diverse people to these shows. But it's baffling how streaming services keep gobbling up IPs that aren't particularly diverse, adding it, erasing major parts of the books, and then get mad when it bombs.

There's a lot of good, diverse fantasy out there by black authors. Asian authors. Indian authors. I know GRRM is exec producing Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death for HBO. Netflix is adapting The Three-Body Problem. Outside of that they're focused entirely on hiring white women show runners to erase various books' plots and add diverse casts. It's almost like it's a deliberate pipeline to give white women exec jobs...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1845 on: December 12, 2022, 10:41:02 AM »
Witcher seemed interesting enough for about 2 seasons. The spin-offs and prequels don't make sense nor does continuing the show without Cavill.  :doge

In the end not that many folks had any problems with the casting even though they added some more diversity in a world that had none.
However, Cavill carried the entire thing along with the girl that played Yennefer Vanderberg. If he didn't mimic videogame Geralt to near perfection and made sure the lore was accurate it wouldn't have worked and simply have been a silly fantasy show.
Which I fear is what will happen with the Witcher without him.

It's kinda like doing Death Pool without Reynolds or LOTR without Christopher Lee as Saruman.
Sure, you can find someone else to play the role but you can't replace the knowledge about the source material and effort to get invested into the character.
Especially a world as complex as The Witcher which depends on all sorts of small details.
🤴

james

« Reply #1846 on: December 12, 2022, 10:46:25 AM »
I never watched the witcher. Doesnt make sense to me. The lead is a guy, but witches are supposed to be female? Bonkers

NekoFever

« Reply #1847 on: December 12, 2022, 11:22:20 AM »
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1601001743218778113

Within the first lines the author acknowledges that less than 2% of Argentina's current population are black but then keeps going on. I'm honestly not quite sure about what point it's making

CORRECTION
Due to an editing error, an earlier version of this piece noted that roughly one percent of the Argentinian population was Black according to a 2010 government released census. While the number of Black people cited was accurate, the percentage was actually far less than one percent and the piece has been amended to state that.

:dead

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1848 on: December 12, 2022, 11:36:33 AM »
Princess Merwyn (Lead, female)

Described as ‘the flower that no one noticed had poison blooms beneath her thorns’. Intelligent and sharp-minded but hiding behind the mask of a feckless girl. In a patriarchal world, she was raised as a chess piece to be married off and forgotten. Biding her time, she leant how to appear docile, concealing her true intelligence and tactician’s mind in order to strike when no one would expect it. Appears in 6 episodes.

???

Who does this appeal to? Especially in a post-Game Of Thrones era where there's a clear blueprint for how to do this stuff without banging anyone over the head. Arya, Dany, Cersei, etc etc all dealt with that exact issue, often mentioned the sexism they faced (without using that word obviously). This is clearly messaging to viewers. Hey watch this, it's about the issues you care about but there are elves and magic.  :doge

I don't get it. You'd think there would be a clear cut push to find the next Game Of Thrones. Strong, multi leveled female characters. Strong, multi leveled male characters. Twists. "Subverting expectations." Magic, preferably with dragons or other creatures. Decent to good writing (S1-4 lol). And a fan base you appreciate to a decent degree.

I think a lot of this boils down to writers who want to make another show, don't have the talent to create anything decent enough to get greenlit, and then attach themselves to an IP where they focus on their own vision instead of whatever the IP is about.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1849 on: December 12, 2022, 12:00:05 PM »
I think a lot of this boils down to writers who want to make another show, don't have the talent to create anything decent enough to get greenlit, and then attach themselves to an IP where they focus on their own vision instead of whatever the IP is about.
This seems to be happening a lot throughout pop culture, including video games.

They mostly do it with things that already have a clear identity even though there are many 'blank slates' that won't see as much push back.
Just look at Saints Row. They want to make an open-world soy story knowing it'll never get greenlit, so they take something that exists (Saints Row) and transform it into zoomer land.
But in Need for Speed it works, because it always followed whatever was trending. So making a game based on current fashion and tiktok 'trends' actually makes sense and making it over the top works too (because being over the top fits Need for Speed in general).

The worst offender is of course Star Wars, especially since after they ran it into the ground Disney lined up their actors to blame any criticism on racism, transphobia and bigotry.

With Netflix it is most baffling though because what's trending or being watched on Netflix is not the social issues or current trends at all. Netflix was built on juggernauts like House of Cards, Marvel spin-offs, Scandinavian Crime Dramas and Hollywood blockbusters.
The Witcher was succesful because it matched the game perfectly. Cyberpunk Edgerunners improved on the Cyberpunk universe. But somehow they still insist on doing projects that appeal to no one.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1850 on: December 12, 2022, 01:34:52 PM »
I've never seen the Witcher (or played the game) but it's been interesting reading what's happening, post-Henry Cavill's departure for them not giving a shit about the books. Netflix greenlit a prequel show that follows in line with the Rings Of Power approach of throwing the books out the window, filling the cast with diversity and expecting success. I'm not opposed to adding diverse people to these shows. But it's baffling how streaming services keep gobbling up IPs that aren't particularly diverse, adding it, erasing major parts of the books, and then get mad when it bombs.

There's a lot of good, diverse fantasy out there by black authors. Asian authors. Indian authors. I know GRRM is exec producing Nnedi Okorafor's Who Fears Death for HBO. Netflix is adapting The Three-Body Problem. Outside of that they're focused entirely on hiring white women show runners to erase various books' plots and add diverse casts. It's almost like it's a deliberate pipeline to give white women exec jobs...

That's why it so often just feels like lip service. Instead of making an actually diverse project they just cram it into a project that's originally super white, no surprise that this then has a good chance of standing out or making hardcore purist fans mad. It's the same with remakes which are then "remade for a modern audience". How about you make something original for a modern audience? I promise you it's actually going to flow much better with the setting, story etc. It's a bit like wanting your cake and eating it too. You want the hardcore fans, that's why you pick and already proven IP, but then you also want to change that IP to appeal to whatever is trending on twitter right now which then pisses off the hardcore fans. Meanwhile the "Modern audience" might not even care remotely as much as you thought so you end up with something nobody really wanted.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1851 on: December 12, 2022, 02:28:36 PM »
The Witcher is an especially strange one because it is based on Slavic and Polish folklore and twisted European fairy tales.

You could actually consider it a sort of anti-Disney with how it portrays these fairy tales as violent and cruel stories.
Even more violent than Game of Thrones. I already found that the Netflix TV show was sort of too PG-13 compared to the game and the book goes far beyond the game in certain areas. 

The characters you now see in the marketing materials for the spin-off would not survive in the Witcher world.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1852 on: December 12, 2022, 04:46:27 PM »
I'm 90% convinced articles like this are just written by a bot

https://www.cbr.com/worst-written-female-sci-fi-movie-characters/?fbclid=IwAR3wc6mSRI6F0FXI_flYStPJIcIiSp-UQvboAb31nWtAJqat3Jv123OdwHU

It's the kind of surface level critic you can apply to anything you want and declare it "problematic"

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1853 on: December 12, 2022, 05:03:52 PM »
I believe this is what people in the industry refer to as "click bait" :snob
(ice)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1854 on: December 13, 2022, 05:14:36 PM »

That's why it so often just feels like lip service. Instead of making an actually diverse project they just cram it into a project that's originally super white, no surprise that this then has a good chance of standing out or making hardcore purist fans mad. It's the same with remakes which are then "remade for a modern audience". How about you make something original for a modern audience? I promise you it's actually going to flow much better with the setting, story etc. It's a bit like wanting your cake and eating it too. You want the hardcore fans, that's why you pick and already proven IP, but then you also want to change that IP to appeal to whatever is trending on twitter right now which then pisses off the hardcore fans. Meanwhile the "Modern audience" might not even care remotely as much as you thought so you end up with something nobody really wanted.

It's also a symptom of our current #content consumption practices, where media matters more than art and the comic (or fantasy) character matters more than the actor. If all that matters is an established character then race switching is just a marketing tool. There is no effort to tell a "black story" - it's just a suit saying "if we make Elektra black then you get an interracial relationship with Daredevil and bring in black women viewers."

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1855 on: December 13, 2022, 09:49:02 PM »
personally i'm convinced skynet has already got its claws into netflix, and is deliberately lowering the collective creative IQ and desire for innovation or challenging critical thought to the point that it can be seamlessly supplanted by shows created entirely by AI synthesis without the need for a single original thought.

they've already claimed dancing though tik tok. reducing spontaneous and fluid human expression to a series of programmed automaton movements.

Phoenix Dark

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1857 on: December 14, 2022, 03:41:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/heyyeaitsmeidk/status/1602674095316942854
I'm more interested in knowing when people who don't like comedy will stop doing stand-up comedy shows?
Spud

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1858 on: December 14, 2022, 04:50:01 PM »
that guy is white?

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1859 on: December 14, 2022, 04:50:36 PM »
what is white?
(ice)