Author Topic: Catch-all Cop Thread  (Read 141729 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Catch-all Cop Thread
« Reply #540 on: July 20, 2016, 09:54:11 AM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #541 on: July 21, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #542 on: July 21, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »
Honestly, as a father of an autistic kid, I'm terrified of any interactions he might have with police. They are just trained to shoot. And that's sad. The only way this changes is if families of victims of police sue the pants off police departments. Maybe if they take a big enough financial hit it will cause them to actually consider changing.
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #543 on: July 21, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
At least he survived to tell his story. I can't believe they would cuff him after shooting him on accident. Their best excuse is that they had no idea what to do but a lot of people are going to think this was to make his injuries more severe so that he doesn't survive.

I don't see much you can do about guns and the need for regular police to carry them in America but at least if cell phone and body camera videos lead to protests and maybe even arrests (long shot) then future officers can learn what not to do. 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #544 on: July 21, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Honestly, as a father of an autistic kid, I'm terrified of any interactions he might have with police. They are just trained to shoot. And that's sad. The only way this changes is if families of victims of police sue the pants off police departments. Maybe if they take a big enough financial hit it will cause them to actually consider changing.

Probably not.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/4/27/1380655/-Cash-strapped-Chicago-admits-it-has-paid-half-a-billion-in-police-brutality-settlements-since-2004

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #545 on: July 21, 2016, 11:28:17 PM »

Probably not.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/4/27/1380655/-Cash-strapped-Chicago-admits-it-has-paid-half-a-billion-in-police-brutality-settlements-since-2004
Yeah, but that's Chicago. If they ripped out brutal police bullshit, it would be removing the bedrock on which the city was founded.  :'(

http://ktla.com/2016/07/20/unarmed-therapist-shot-by-police-while-trying-to-calm-autistic-man/

"I don't know", i.e. my training is worthless.
"administrative leave" - needs more administrative removal of employment. There is no excuse, none.

El Babua

« Reply #546 on: July 21, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
This one happened close to my old block and where a good friend's family still lives.

At least no one died.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #547 on: July 22, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
Follow-up:
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article91160077.html

They basically didn't re-assess the situation at all after getting the call that someone was going to shoot themselves in the middle of the street. The caretaker said he'd repeatedly told them that the autistic guy didn't have a weapon, but they must not have heard shit, because an officer "suggest(ed)" the autistic guy may be "loading his gun", meaning he didn't actually see shit and just guessed. So another officer fires three shots but only successfully hits the wrong target. Thankfully only in the leg.

Rivera said it wasn’t clear Thursday if the officer who fired his weapon had undergone Crisis Intervention Training. The session is required in many departments when an officer joins and is urged as a refresher in ensuing years. It is not required in North Miami.
It's too expensive, or what?

Retired firearms expert Robert Hoelscher, who spent 50 years with the Miami-Dade Police Department, said it’s hard to perceive how the situation was misjudged, but it was — grossly.

“I wish there was something positive I could say. You arrive on scene and a guy’s playing with a toy truck. Why do you bring out the assault rifle?” Hoelscher asked. “You can’t get enough training when you’re dealing with lethal force. This is as bad a situation as I’ve ever seen. It’s a good thing he was obviously a lousy marksman.”
:doge

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #548 on: July 22, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »
Follow-up:

Retired firearms expert Robert Hoelscher said  "It’s a good thing he was obviously a lousy marksman.”
:doge

jfc

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #549 on: July 22, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
I forgot to mention that the shooter is on the SWAT team.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #551 on: July 22, 2016, 10:38:04 AM »

-on the swat team
-can't aim for shit
-can't properly evaluate a situation
-isnt required to take crisis intervention classes

i would say what in the fucking fuck, but then, this is Miami Dade pd

it is REALLY hard for me to understand how crisis intervention isn't required. i mean that's literally what the main part of your job is. i need the psyduck emoji for situations like this.
pcp

helios

« Reply #552 on: July 22, 2016, 10:46:32 AM »

-on the swat team
-can't aim for shit
-can't properly evaluate a situation
-isnt required to take crisis intervention classes

i would say what in the fucking fuck, but then, this is Miami Dade pd

it is REALLY hard for me to understand how crisis intervention isn't required. i mean that's literally what the main part of your job is. i need the psyduck emoji for situations like this.
Because the job isn't policing anymore, it''s occupying.

benjipwns

« Reply #553 on: July 22, 2016, 10:58:41 AM »
Follow-up:

They basically didn't re-assess the situation at all after getting the call that someone was going to shoot themselves in the middle of the street. The caretaker said he'd repeatedly told them that the autistic guy didn't have a weapon, but they must not have heard shit, because an officer "suggest(ed)" the autistic guy may be "loading his gun", meaning he didn't actually see shit and just guessed. So another officer fires three shots but only successfully hits the wrong target. Thankfully only in the leg.
Police union chief: Officer thought Charles Kinsey was in danger, aimed at autistic man

The North Miami police officer who shot an unarmed, black mental health worker caring for a patient actually took aim at the autistic man next to him, but missed, the head of the police union said Thursday.

It was a stunning admission from the police officer and from John Rivera, who heads up Miami-Dade’s Police Benevolent Association. But it was one meant to calm the fears of a nation besieged with cellphone videos of police shooting and sometimes killing unarmed black men.

In this case, Rivera said, the officer ended up wounding the man he was trying to save.

“I couldn’t allow this to continue for the community’s sake,” Rivera said Thursday during a hastily called press conference at the union’s Doral office. “Folks, this is not what the rest of the nation is going through.”
Rivera, at the end of his press conference Thursday, read from a statement he said was from the North Miami officer who shot Kinsey.

“I took this job to save lives and help people,” the officer said. “I did what I had to do in a split second to accomplish that and hate to hear others paint me as something that I’m not.”

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #554 on: July 22, 2016, 11:13:02 AM »
When all you have is a hammer...

In other news:
http://boingboing.net/2016/07/22/dallas-cops-investigated-for-v.html

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #555 on: July 22, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
This cop got 4 years in prison for nearly killing a teen after tasing him for 22 seconds and then dropping him on his face.

This shit is infuriating.

Good Lord. That "splat" at the end where he just casually drops him face-first onto the concrete is excruciating. :-\
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #556 on: July 22, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
and of course today had to be a day where my client acts out big time and a fuckload of police show up. thankfully they listened when i kept shouting that he has autism, and they acted appropriately towards him. scary thing is that they said later they initially assumed he was on pcp. that plus the fact that the first thing they did when they pulled up was to go to my coworker and angrily tell her to stop filming makes me feel that i got really really lucky today.

anyways my nerves are shot so soon as i clock out im heading strait for the nearest bottle of liquor and blacking out
pcp

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #558 on: July 23, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
https://www.readfrontier.com/investigation/judges-order-elliott-williams-jail-cell-became-burial-crypt/

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Asked in a deposition about Williams’ death, Washburn said he believed Williams received “appropriate care,” adding: “people just die sometimes.”

:pacspit
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #559 on: July 24, 2016, 06:36:27 AM »
The order notes Williams had not been violent or aggressive toward officers there appeared to be no basis for that warning.
I can guess why.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #562 on: July 27, 2016, 12:02:39 PM »
hope that jailer gets the chair

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #564 on: July 31, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »

pretty nice

« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

Throw a little girl's bike into the bushes, brehs

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #566 on: August 10, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »

Craziest part is that's what they did WITH THE FEDS RIGHT THERE IN THE CAR.

Also officers apparently document their own blatantly unconstitutional actions in written reports.  Which indicates how widespread and "normal" that sort of thing has become.  Sheesh.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: August 10, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
WHAT

IN

THE

HELL

:mindblown
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #569 on: August 10, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
I recently found out that if you are a person of great interest that the police can listen to your cell phone conversations over the internet in real time. I'm unclear how you get to be that person, but it sounds like a clear violation of the 4th amendment.
©ZH

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #570 on: August 10, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Craziest part is that's what they did WITH THE FEDS RIGHT THERE IN THE CAR.

Also officers apparently document their own blatantly unconstitutional actions in written reports.  Which indicates how widespread and "normal" that sort of thing has become.  Sheesh.

The fish starts rotting at the head.

I recently found out that if you are a person of great interest that the police can listen to your cell phone conversations over the internet in real time. I'm unclear how you get to be that person, but it sounds like a clear violation of the 4th amendment.
Be in or have been in a relationship with a cop.

---

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/08/police-officer-related-deaths-department-of-justice

You can't help but laugh.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #571 on: August 10, 2016, 12:52:43 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: August 10, 2016, 02:08:49 PM »
So much wtf. First thing I wondered is why they used a real gun instead of a blank gun.

They really shouldn't even be using a blank gun in a situation like that, since blanks fired at close range can still cause damage. Unlike on a movie set where everything is tightly controlled, this was a fluid situation with amateurs.
dog

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #573 on: August 10, 2016, 02:15:31 PM »
There are too many safety "what the fucks" in that whole, but oh-so-briefly described, scenario.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #574 on: August 14, 2016, 10:40:54 PM »

I'm not finding it, but I recall reading something about how wi-fi data does not fall under the same restrictions as phone wiretapping in terms of needing a warrant.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #576 on: August 21, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160818/18363835281/woman-sues-after-police-destroy-her-home-during-10-hour-standoff-with-family-dog.shtml

On August 11, 2014, after registering her child for first grade, Ms. West returned to her home to find multiple City of Caldwell police officers in her yard searching for a Fabian Salinas. Wanting to cooperate, and uncertain whether Salinas was in her house, Ms. West gave the police a key to her house and gave them permission to use it to enter her house to arrest him. During a ten hour long standoff, police repeatedly exceeded the authority Ms. West had given them, breaking windows, crashing through ceilings, and riddling the home with holes from shooting canisters of tear gas destroying most of Ms. West and her children’s personal belongings. The only occupant of the house was Ms. West’s dog. Ms. West’s home remained uninhabitable for two months.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #577 on: August 21, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
:lol :lol :lol

and poor dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #578 on: August 21, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Glad they didn't shoot it. Seems to be the policy in some departments.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #580 on: August 21, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »
Cops acting like it's Rainbow Six Siege over here.  >:(
dog

helios

« Reply #581 on: August 21, 2016, 03:09:42 PM »
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160818/18363835281/woman-sues-after-police-destroy-her-home-during-10-hour-standoff-with-family-dog.shtml

On August 11, 2014, after registering her child for first grade, Ms. West returned to her home to find multiple City of Caldwell police officers in her yard searching for a Fabian Salinas. Wanting to cooperate, and uncertain whether Salinas was in her house, Ms. West gave the police a key to her house and gave them permission to use it to enter her house to arrest him. During a ten hour long standoff, police repeatedly exceeded the authority Ms. West had given them, breaking windows, crashing through ceilings, and riddling the home with holes from shooting canisters of tear gas destroying most of Ms. West and her children’s personal belongings. The only occupant of the house was Ms. West’s dog. Ms. West’s home remained uninhabitable for two months.

Woof

benjipwns

« Reply #582 on: September 09, 2016, 08:49:17 AM »
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/09/nopd_hate_crime_blue_lives_mat.html
Raul Delatoba, 34, was booked Monday (Sept. 5) on charges of simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace and a felony-level hate crime, his arrest warrant says. During his arrest, but after he had broken the window, Delatoba is accused of using sexist and racial slurs against police officers, the document shows.

The regional director of the Anti-defamation League, an organization that trains law enforcement agencies to enforce hate crimes, said she does not believe a hate crime occurred in this incident, based on the circumstances described in Delatoba's warrant.

Allison Padilla-Goodman, the group's director, said she believes Delatoba is possibly the first person charged with a hate crime under the "blue lives matter" provision the Legislature recently added to the state's hate crime law. The provision adds law enforcement occupation to the list of targeted victims for which a hate crime applies.
Once at the station, the warrant states, Delatoba began to verbally "attack members of the New Orleans Police Dept." The warrant states Delatoba called one female officer a "dumb a-- c---" and another officer a "dumb a-- n-----."

The warrant states Sgt. S. Jackson instructed NOPD Officer Williams Knowles to charge Delatoba with a hate crime in addition to damaging property and disturbing the peace. "The hate crime charge stems from Delatoba's attack on individuals based on their race, sex, and occupation," the warrant states.

A police officer and the security guard who worked at a nearby building are listed as victims in the case, along with the Royal Sonesta and the state of Louisiana.
The sponsor of the "blue lives matter" legislation, State Rep. Lance Harris, R-Alexandria, said he pushed for the provision to give district attorneys "an extra tool in (their) toolbox" and offer additional protection for first responders. The change to the law received wide, bipartisan support in the legislature.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/09/man_accused_under_blue_lives_m.html
Louisiana's hate crime law was incorrectly applied to charge a man arrested after police say he damaged a hotel window and shouted racial and gender slurs at New Orleans police officers and a witness, an NOPD spokesman said Thursday (Sept. 8).

It was not immediately clear if the hate crime charge against Raul Debatoba would be dropped, however. NOPD spokesman Tyler Gamble said that decision would be made by the Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office.
Gamble said Thursday after reviewing initial facts of the case, "it is clear that the responding officer incorrectly applied the law relative to a hate crime in this incident."

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #583 on: September 09, 2016, 10:22:12 AM »
Police officers are already the most protected class of citizens in the whole country [minus, maybe, billionaires] in regards to the legal system. :goty
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #584 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:49 AM »
A friend's house got robbed last night and the cops were like "just fill out a claim online" they didn't bother showing up or anything. But those fuckers are right there if you take a right on a red. No issue there.
que

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #585 on: September 09, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
You can take a right on red....

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #586 on: September 09, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
Not everywhere.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Huh, apparently it's just New York City where it's banned.
[close]
vin

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #587 on: September 09, 2016, 01:00:54 PM »
Yeah and there's basically no way to know that unless you look it up. I only didn't do it when I moved here because it seemed super unsafe most of the time... then I found out it was actually banned.
nat

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #588 on: September 09, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
It's probably so turning cars don't clog the crosswalks.
©ZH

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #589 on: September 09, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »
A friend's house got robbed last night and the cops were like "just fill out a claim online" they didn't bother showing up or anything. But those fuckers are right there if you take a right on a red. No issue there.

A)  Your friend's house wasn't robbed, unless he was in it at the time.  Robbery = theft with the use or threat of violence.  Break-and-enter and theft (or burglary) is the term you are looking for.   /legalnerdpetpeeve

B) I understand that it may seem to reflect a disinterest on the part of police, but this sort of thing is actually (and unfortunately) a near-inevitable aspect of police reform in the 21st century, as police forces face resource and budget issues and look for ways to maximize efficiency.  Many departments are looking at ways to focus police officer resources on core policing duties, and looking for creative ways to civilian-ize (ie. admin work) or automate duties and tasks that were traditionally carried out by sworn, armed officers.

The cold, hard truth is, on an individual, case-by-case basis, there is little that police can do to solve an individual break-and-enter/burglary, and there is little value that a uniformed officer attending a BnE/burglary and taking the report can add, over filing some sort of "online claim/report", so long as the claim/report is structured in a way to gather the relevant info.

Now, that answer is little comfort to an individual victim.  Especially as a Break-and-Enter/burglary can be an incredibly traumatic event.  It affects people out of proportion to the physical loss, it's a violation of the security and sanctity of one's home, it can definitely mess with your head.  But in resource-strapped departments, it's likely the way things are going to be, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "callousness" or "indifference" on the part of a police department.

C) I know it's part joke, but no bitching about getting caught on a traffic violation.  None of us are perfect drivers, but commit a traffic violation in full view of a marked police cruiser?   That's it's own brand of Darwin award.  You're a grown ass adult, quit yer' bitchin' and hold your L.   Fuck, I don't even write tickets, and that attitude pisses me off.  :P
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:25:43 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #590 on: September 09, 2016, 05:37:31 PM »
Not everywhere.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Huh, apparently it's just New York City where it's banned.
[close]

It's not usually on a state-(or province-)wide basis.

In Quebec, rights-on-red are fine, except on the island of Montreal.  Every bridge onto the island has signs announcing the rule.

In Ontario, and Michigan, some cities have some intersections that have no-right-on-red.  Those have signs on an intersection-by-intersection basis.   It is a true pain in the ass.
MMA

benjipwns

« Reply #591 on: September 09, 2016, 11:22:46 PM »
They're often at weird ones too. Like you'd expect to see it for a one-way road headed left, but they don't always put one up. But some random road where there'd be no hazard because you can clearly see, sry breh we just decided.

The illegitimate semi-monopoly violence of local government.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #592 on: September 09, 2016, 11:57:02 PM »
They're often at weird ones too. Like you'd expect to see it for a one-way road headed left, but they don't always put one up. But some random road where there'd be no hazard because you can clearly see, sry breh we just decided.

The illegitimate semi-monopoly violence of local government.

The one-way sign pointing to the left tells you you can't turn right tho. The fun thing is when you're on a one-way street and want to turn left onto another one-way (SF has a ton), in which case you can turn LEFT on red. It's awesome since the B pillar barely obscures your view. Probably why Mad Max takes place in Aussie.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #593 on: September 10, 2016, 12:47:54 AM »
Yo Boogie, if someone one steals from me you gonna hold my hand and make me feel better right?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #594 on: September 10, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
Yo Boogie, if someone one steals from me you gonna hold my hand and make me feel better right?

Just hold your hand?  :-*
MMA

« Reply #595 on: September 13, 2016, 08:26:06 AM »
We threat eliminators nao 👮

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

After responding to a report of a domestic incident on May 6 in Weirton, W.Va., then-Weirton police officer Stephen Mader found himself confronting an armed man.

Immediately, the training he had undergone as a Marine to look at “the whole person” in deciding if someone was a terrorist, as well as his situational police academy training, kicked in and he did not shoot.

“I saw then he had a gun, but it was not pointed at me,” Mr. Mader recalled, noting the silver handgun was in the man’s right hand, hanging at his side and pointed at the ground.

Mr. Mader, who was standing behind Mr. Williams’ car parked on the street, said he then “began to use my calm voice.”

“I told him, ‘Put down the gun,’ and he’s like, ‘Just shoot me.’ And I told him, ‘I’m not going to shoot you brother.’ Then he starts flicking his wrist to get me to react to it.

“I thought I was going to be able to talk to him and deescalate it. I knew it was a suicide-by-cop” situation.

Mader was responding to a 911 call from Williams’s girlfriend. In that call, she told police that Williams was threatening to kill himself, not anyone else.

What Mader did upon arriving at the scene is a hell of a lot braver course of action than simply opening fire when the suspect doesn’t immediately disarm. What Mader did is in fact exactly what we want cops to do when someone is in crisis. It’s also precisely what law enforcement officers say they do on a daily basis — put themselves at risk in order to save lives. Mader should have been given a medal. Unfortunately, two more cops then showed up, and quickly shot Williams dead.

Then came the punchline.

Mr. Mader — speaking publicly about this case for the first time — said that when he tried to return to work on May 17, following normal protocol for taking time off after an officer-involved shooting, he was told to go see Weirton Police Chief Rob Alexander.

In a meeting with the chief and City Manager Travis Blosser, Mr. Mader said Chief Alexander told him: “We’re putting you on administrative leave and we’re going to do an investigation to see if you are going to be an officer here. You put two other officers in danger.”

Mr. Mader said that “right then I said to him: ‘Look, I didn’t shoot him because he said, ‘Just shoot me.’ ”

On June 7, a Weirton officer delivered him a notice of termination letter dated June 6, which said by not shooting Mr. Williams he “failed to eliminate a threat.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-watch/wp/2016/09/12/west-virginia-cop-fired-for-not-killing-a-man-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.0a6128a6f892

helios

« Reply #596 on: September 13, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
 :goty :picard :tocry

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #597 on: September 13, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
Dude also got robbed of his pension rights because heh !
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #598 on: September 13, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
:goty :picard :tocry
Don't worry, the black guy still got tried and sentenced:
But just then, two other Weirton officers arrived on the scene, Mr. Williams walked toward them waving his gun — later found to be unloaded — between them and Mr. Mader, and one of them shot Mr. Williams’ in the back of the head just behind his right ear, killing him.

A month-long West Virginia State Police investigation later concluded the shooting was justified

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #599 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:24 PM »
Forget suicide booths, just dial 911.