Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520670 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #7800 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7801 on: January 19, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Fucking Durant.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7802 on: January 19, 2013, 12:37:26 AM »
Crazy ass Dallas thunder game too

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7803 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
Durant. 52 points.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7804 on: January 19, 2013, 12:39:47 AM »
jesus

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7805 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
Mike James.  :lol

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7806 on: January 19, 2013, 12:42:06 AM »
 ::)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7807 on: January 19, 2013, 07:06:40 AM »
ok, the True Hoop piece on scoring is brilliant and explains a lot about why scorers with elite passing skills (like LeBron, Westbrook - who you may not think is a skilled passer but look at the numbers before you say something stupid...) or the ability to shoot over any defense (Durant, Melo, Kobe, Dirk) are the only ones still putting up big scoring numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

OTOH I wish he would STFU about ramping up drug testing. Don't you LIKE that Tim Duncan, Kobe and Nash are still playing at elite levels, and that LeBron and Westbrook never miss games? Why the fuck would you want to look any closer at that? I just don't get it. Clearly the testing they are doing now is not affecting the playing field in any way, since lots of different teams are being successful, and players are healthier and playing longer than ever. I mean, Grant Hill! Kurt Thomas! These guys are recovering better from their training, which means they are HEALTHIER and more likely to live long and productive lives after basketball. What is the goddamn problem Henry

If Lebron wasn't putting up another stupid crazy season again people would be all over Durant because he is also having a hell of a season. Actually I think if the Thunder end up with the best record in the league they will give it to Durant anyway because they are tired of giving it to Lebron even though he deserves it again this year.

I'm not certain what point of mine you are addressing here Stoney :lol   Did you just see 'Durant' and start typing?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7808 on: January 19, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
Durant - 52pts, 1 ast....I have to admit, if that was a Kobe line i'd be hatin'
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7809 on: January 19, 2013, 11:15:48 AM »
ok, the True Hoop piece on scoring is brilliant and explains a lot about why scorers with elite passing skills (like LeBron, Westbrook - who you may not think is a skilled passer but look at the numbers before you say something stupid...) or the ability to shoot over any defense (Durant, Melo, Kobe, Dirk) are the only ones still putting up big scoring numbers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/53534/where-have-all-the-gunners-gone

OTOH I wish he would STFU about ramping up drug testing. Don't you LIKE that Tim Duncan, Kobe and Nash are still playing at elite levels, and that LeBron and Westbrook never miss games? Why the fuck would you want to look any closer at that? I just don't get it. Clearly the testing they are doing now is not affecting the playing field in any way, since lots of different teams are being successful, and players are healthier and playing longer than ever. I mean, Grant Hill! Kurt Thomas! These guys are recovering better from their training, which means they are HEALTHIER and more likely to live long and productive lives after basketball. What is the goddamn problem Henry

If Lebron wasn't putting up another stupid crazy season again people would be all over Durant because he is also having a hell of a season. Actually I think if the Thunder end up with the best record in the league they will give it to Durant anyway because they are tired of giving it to Lebron even though he deserves it again this year.

I'm not certain what point of mine you are addressing here Stoney :lol   Did you just see 'Durant' and start typing?

Pretty much.  :P

I didn't read the article until later.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7810 on: January 20, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
Lakers getting crushed by Toronto.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7811 on: January 20, 2013, 03:28:11 PM »
Lakers made a little late run but still lose. Probably will lose their next two which are on the road at Chicago and Memphis. Dallas has essentially caught the Lakers now and they aren't that far ahead of Sacramento.

If you want to say anything positive about the Lakers Season and its hard to do that, it would be that they seem to have discovered something in Earl Clark who wasn't playing at all but now seems to be a player.

He's been pretty good over the last couple of weeks. Today he scored 14 points and pulled down 14 rebounds. This was in the absence of Dwight Howard who was ejected early in the game with techs.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:32:42 PM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #7812 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
@Jeff Van Gundy "Has there ever been anyone better than Kobe Bryant at scoring points well after the game is over?  You have to respect the drive and willpower."

Black Mamba - garbage time GOAT :bow2

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7813 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
The best at scoring when the game is over?

<Insert Wilt Chamberlain or Shawn Kemp joke in here>

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7814 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:08 PM »

Yep. Nene was called for a foul  ::)

They also got a technical because the coach protested the call.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7815 on: January 20, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

I mentioned something about this earlier in the thread.  :P

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7816 on: January 20, 2013, 05:40:08 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Yep. Nene was called for a foul  ::)

They also got a technical because the coach protested the call.

the 'child please' look on Nene's face is hilarious
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7817 on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »

as good a time as any to post this

also LOLkers
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:05:52 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7818 on: January 20, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8862210/miami-heat-sign-veteran-chris-andersen-10-day-contract

Why,  Riles?

This only make sense if a tattoo contest is being setup between Birdman and Lebron

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7819 on: January 20, 2013, 09:38:52 PM »
the Nuggets sideline reporter just gave an update on Westbrook's ankle just before the 3Q started, saying he was probable to re-enter the game

Westbrook was standing behind her, flexing and waiting to get the ball from the ref :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7820 on: January 20, 2013, 10:51:32 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21590095/video-russell-westbrook-denies-nuggets-mascot-halfcourt-shot

:lol

Classic Westbrook game this - poor shooting but just utterly relentless and insanely productive anyway, despite a pretty bad ankle sprain.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7821 on: January 20, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
80fts combined?  That's pretty hard to endure live

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7822 on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:09 PM »
it's testy but fast-paced, high-scoring. in OT now
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7823 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
Free throws break up the flow more if you're watching on TV, at least IME.  If you're in the arena free throws might not be as fun as the other parts of the game, but at least a local DJ isn't telling you to MAKE SOME NOOOOOOOIIIIIISE if you want a burrito shot at you from a cannon.

http://i45.tinypic.com/nxf9e.jpg

I mentioned something about this earlier in the thread.  :P

Similarly, the Clippers are undefeated when Chris Paul is on the floor for less than 32 minutes.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7824 on: January 20, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »
because they are up 20 by then...he's barely played in the 4th all year. But you know that.
vjj

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7825 on: January 20, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »
I think he's implying Kobe takes a lot of shots if they're behind.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7826 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:51 PM »
And that a lot of those <20FGA wins are games where Kobe played fewer minutes cause the team was ahead.  I mean, no question Kobe's hero ball can be detrimental at points, but eventually I get tired of seeing the basketball equivalent of the "NFL team X wins more games when it runs rather than passes!"

Anyways, have barely watched the Lakers but I feel like Dwight not being 100% has to be a bigger factor than most people are allowing for.  We know that Peak Dwight can make a top-5 defense out of practically any unit, yet the Lakers are below the league average.  Obviously if they were better in other areas they could cover for this, but isn't that where the biggest delta between expectations and performance is right now?

pilonv1

« Reply #7827 on: January 20, 2013, 11:26:28 PM »
:'( etiolate :'(
itm

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7828 on: January 20, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »
:'( etiolate :'(

11:26 PM ET

The Maloof family that owns the Sacramento Kings has reached a purchase agreement to sell a 65-percent controlling interest in the franchise to a Seattle group led by Chris Hansen for $525 million, according to league sources.

So this night hasn't all been harbaughle

pilonv1

« Reply #7829 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »
Warriors were sold for $450mill two years ago. Kings being valued at $800million is ridiculous
itm

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #7830 on: January 20, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Well, they're certainly not worth that much in Sacramento :lenowned

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7831 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:14 AM »
Warriors were sold for $450mill two years ago. Kings being valued at $800million is ridiculous

the ESPN article I saw indicates that the franchise is being valued at 525 million, not just the Maloofs' stake and including 'relocation fees'...either way, yeah, crazy high but the Maloofs did make it clear that they would facilitate a move which has to add quite a bit in this case?
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7832 on: January 21, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »
The Warriors sale price was a record for an NBA franchise, no?

Probably the market value of an NBA franchise is rising since expansion seems to be off the table and the league is on an upswing in terms of revenue and prestige.

pilonv1

« Reply #7833 on: January 21, 2013, 04:28:02 AM »

the ESPN article I saw indicates that the franchise is being valued at 525 million, not just the Maloofs' stake and including 'relocation fees'...either way, yeah, crazy high but the Maloofs did make it clear that they would facilitate a move which has to add quite a bit in this case?

Yep, early reporting was a bit off. Was 65% of $525million, not the $525million being the 65% which makes more sense.

Still the Sonics owner sold it for $325million 6 years ago.
itm

etiolate

« Reply #7834 on: January 21, 2013, 04:37:33 AM »
Anyone buying the team will have to overpay because of all of the Maloof's debt. NBA should have stepped in when the Maloofs backed out of an arena deal and forced a sale. The Maloofs said they were not selling over and over again,  that they could afford to run the team and that they would look into renovating their current arena instead. The city and KJ, and others said they were interested in buying the team and keeping it in Sacramento if the Maloofs could no longer run the franchise. But the Maloofs privately arranged a deal with Seattle and attempted to do so with Virginia Beach while tip-toe-ing around it publically and denying they were selling. So their last ultimate dick move was sellng the team to another city and not letting local ownership have a chance to buy the team.

It seems Stern may allow Kevin Johnson and his group to put forth an ownership group and bid, but it's being done with limited time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:08:09 AM by etiolate »

pilonv1

« Reply #7835 on: January 21, 2013, 06:32:26 AM »
Won't get anywhere. Stern will want to leave with a team back in Seattle.
itm

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
« Reply #7836 on: January 21, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »
Completely conflicted about this.  On one hand, I'm totally pumped that the Sonics are coming back but taking a team from another city that actually cared about them....... I don't know.  Too bad it we couldn't have gotten the Hornets.  No one gives a fuck about them, not even New Orleans.

Well, I guess it's time to build that orange volcano in SODO and tell Howard Lincoln and the Mariners to go fuck themselves.

Tacos

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #7837 on: January 21, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
The Warriors sale price was a record for an NBA franchise, no?

Probably the market value of an NBA franchise is rising since expansion seems to be off the table and the league is on an upswing in terms of revenue and prestige.
I think a good part of the seemingly ridiculous price is that the Kings don't come with a lease that needs to be bought out to relocate.  Let me see if I can find the article that said this.
vin

etiolate

« Reply #7838 on: January 21, 2013, 05:03:35 PM »
Right, the team can immediately apply for relocation. There is a loan on the current arena that the Maloofs still need to pay back. The Maloofs also owe the NBA money. Some have estimated the total debt is around 221 million. All that adds up to an increased price.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7839 on: January 21, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
I want the Kings to be called the Seattle Grunge.  Shit would be awesome.

But it'll be the Sonics I suppose.  That's cool too.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
püp

Beezy

« Reply #7841 on: January 21, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »
Heard about that earlier. Terrible.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7842 on: January 21, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »
I didn't realize the Lakers are playing the Bulls right now on TNT.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7843 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »
Belinelli is terrible, he singlehandedly brought back the Lakers

How was he drafted in the 1st first round? 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7844 on: January 21, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »
sure sounds like Pau is halfway out the door, although nobody really seems to want him or be prepared to give more than 50 cents on the dollar for him
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #7845 on: January 21, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »
Sounds like Amare.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7846 on: January 21, 2013, 11:43:02 PM »
Pau for Amare

win-win

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7847 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:54 PM »
amare back with nash and dan tony

honestly that doesn't sound terrible
püp

Beezy

« Reply #7848 on: January 21, 2013, 11:55:15 PM »
Anyone who can stay on their man would be an improvement for the Knicks. If Amare honestly does become an average defender by the end of the season, then Woodson is a wizard.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7849 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »
Man the bulls fucking give effort every night.

:bow2

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7850 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
Come on, Lakers, at least make it 5 or 6 so you'll have a nice moral win streak

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7851 on: January 22, 2013, 12:06:24 AM »
Nash is a negative on this team if he doesn't take at least 20 shots

He made Hinrich look like a future HOFer

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7852 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:44 AM »
Nash is a negative on this team if he doesn't take at least 20 shots

He made Hinrich look like a future HOFer

His defense is indeed awful at this point but like most people I think everybody thought Dwight would just be able to bail everybody out by holding down the lane.

This loss is also on Kobe though with that 7 of 22.

I'm just gonna go ahead and pencil in a loss for them next with the Grizzlies which would make them 3-10 in their last 13 games. They are not getting better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:12:33 AM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

« Reply #7853 on: January 22, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »

His defense is indeed awful at this point but like most people I think everybody thought Dwight would just be able to bail everybody out by holding down the lane.

yes, that's why I said "on this team"

With nobody covering Nash's back, he's gonna have to do much more on offense to overcome his terrible D

etiolate

« Reply #7854 on: January 22, 2013, 02:53:54 AM »
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski
It's been misreported that SAC is just now responding. Plans have been in the works for months, needed Maloofs to go public

Well I guess they may be more prepared than I thought. I still don't see the logical reason for the Maloofs to hide they were negotiating a sale of the team.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7855 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
PJ Carlesimo is the new Phil Jackson. :bow

Speaking of coaches, I wish there were an alternative universe where I could see how the Mike Brown-led LA Lakers are doing. I would bet they play better defense, utilize Pau Gasol and actually make entry passes into the paint. Not sure if that means more wins, but it would be interesting to see.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 10:35:47 AM by ToxicAdam »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #7856 on: January 22, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »
“Obviously, this isn’t working,” Bryant told Yahoo! Sports.

“We need to go back to basics,” Bryant said. “We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve Nash is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I’m best from the free-throw line extended down. Let’s go back to basics.

“We’ve got to evaluate what’s going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I’m looking at myself. I’m shooting a low percentage right now, and I’ve got to look at that.”

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7857 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »
so basically kobe fuckball for the rest of the season
püp

Beezy

« Reply #7858 on: January 22, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7859 on: January 22, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »
If Howard had a jump shot, they could just move him to PF and play Pau at C. Even without it, he can just roll on every Nash pick and roll and most teams still wouldn't have a prayer of stopping it.

Anyway, that Grizz-Cavs trade has Hollinger written all over it. The Grizz saved a bunch of money without giving up any real pieces, taking IMMEDIATE advantage of the Varejao news and the subsequent permission granted by Cavs fans to ownership to tank the rest of the season away. Nice job. I MISS MY PER DIEM SO BAD THOUGH, Kevin Pelton is insightful but nowhere near the writer Hollinger was...
vjj