Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520671 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: The NBA thread :-(
« Reply #9300 on: April 13, 2013, 03:25:59 AM »
ugh, that has got to hurt for Kobe, after the Herculean feats he's performed dragging that shitty ass team this far

still not sure why AWESOME-O thinks it gives him license to start acting like a cuntrag to all and sundry again though. take a timeout and chill dude
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9301 on: April 13, 2013, 03:28:35 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9302 on: April 13, 2013, 03:30:32 AM »
oh god, somone gif JUST the face
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9303 on: April 13, 2013, 03:32:50 AM »
fucking hell puddles, did you even read ANY of my posts?  all of them are SYMPATHETIC AND SAD, you titshit

I make fun of laker fans, not kobe, asshole
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9304 on: April 13, 2013, 03:35:12 AM »

trending

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9305 on: April 13, 2013, 03:48:34 AM »
here, I'll be an ACTUAL ASSHOLE now

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53752659&postcount=9790

This is assuming:

Lebron has already reached his peak
Kobe's peak was probably early 2000s, even though his true peak was pretty much mid 2000s even when the team didn't win
Kobe's footwork was somehow always and forever better than lebrons

Asshole Reasons.

Lebron hasn't even reached his peak yet -- and chrissake, how can anyone determine that until he's nigh fucking 40 like kobe is, near the end of his career.  He could easily be the scoring leader this season...the assists leader...christ if he pushed Bosh or andersen aside this season he could average 15 rebounds a game most likely.

Lebron's peak, if we're assuming its this 3 or 4 year span that hasn't even ended yet, is with a team without a proper big. whereas Kobe had pretty much the best big of all time, or one of.

In regards to footwork, Lebron and Kobe could ankle break each other for hours on end -- and guess what?  THEY ALREADY HAVE. Go back to Lebron's second or third season, WHERE KOBE WAS IN HIS PRIME, and its pretty evenly matched.  Or, for what its worth, lets watch Lebron own Kobe since he was a Cav:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jUPtfJjwX4

Or here, lets take the opposite route and post what Awesome-o will post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcMCA_sJuTo

THE LAST ARGUMENT IS FUCKING STUPID. 

This is me being an asshole, Puddles, because your butthurtness is too great to go without.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9306 on: April 13, 2013, 03:49:15 AM »
Goddamit, you post that as I finish a wonderfully asshole-ish response

I'll be the cunt for the night I guess
püp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9307 on: April 13, 2013, 03:54:55 AM »
What if Kobe misses next season, and Dwight re-signs but gets shut down when his back acts up, so the team tanks, gets Wiggins, and then Kobe and Dwight come back after a bunch of steroids and experimental procedures in Eastern Europe, letting them win the title?

No NBA fan could completely write off that scenario.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9308 on: April 13, 2013, 04:09:28 AM »
Maybe the Lakers will be motivated by Kobe's injury and win one for the gipper, like Louisville did :skip

Rumors swirling that Wiggins is going to FSU. what the fuck

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9309 on: April 13, 2013, 04:20:22 AM »
superb use of Skip there :lol
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9310 on: April 13, 2013, 04:30:10 AM »
:lol
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #9311 on: April 14, 2013, 11:17:30 PM »

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #9312 on: April 14, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9313 on: April 14, 2013, 11:49:52 PM »
Lakers beat the Spurs. Pretty good shot at the playoffs now. They have to beat Houston in their final game. The Jazz have to beat the Grizzlies and the Timberwolves and hope for a Lakers loss.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #9314 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:05 AM »
Duncan was a beast in the  4th

He made Dwight look like a fool several trips in a row

It really makes you wonder what kinda stuff he's taking

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9315 on: April 15, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
yeah - Duncan was supposedly bone-on-bone years back so this is a little hard to swallow. I mean, he certainly doesn't seem bulkier but he seems capable of much better sustained production in 36 mins than 2-3yrs ago. Not that I am complaining - if the dude is manifestly healthy, and the docs are checking everything out regularly, fine
vjj

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9316 on: April 15, 2013, 12:21:29 AM »
Dirk saw this

and knew he couldn't compete.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9317 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »
The big problem slowing Duncan down was plantar fasciitis I thought?  Not that I really understand what that means for a player, and he's got a lot of mileage generally, but it's not like he was getting serial microfractures.

If everyone gets their dander up about PED's and NBA players fall apart 2-4 years earlier as a result I will be quite grumpy.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #9318 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »
If everyone gets their dander up about PED's and NBA players fall apart 2-4 years earlier as a result I will be quite grumpy.

Poor Dirk.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9319 on: April 15, 2013, 02:00:18 AM »
The big problem slowing Duncan down was plantar fasciitis I thought?  Not that I really understand what that means for a player, and he's got a lot of mileage generally, but it's not like he was getting serial microfractures.

Henry Abbott is really really REALLY pissing me off with his constant agitation for this. I realize it's all coming from love of the game or whatever but really, he needs to stop fomenting outrage where no-one is doing anything outrageous.

In football, I wonder if it would actually help the average career, since guys wouldn't get hit quite so brutally hard? The monsters they have now look like they could stop a truck, never mind Tom Brady
vjj

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #9320 on: April 15, 2013, 02:10:00 AM »
I would think basketball is relatively minor for PED use. MMA, football and baseball would be the big ones.

Depends, I'd imagine that no amount of PEDs would help your brain getting hit continually by giant linebackers or defensive ends, or joint injuries. You might help some wear injuries and aid recovery, but you'd probably see some more typical steroid injuries (muscle/tendon tears).
itm

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9321 on: April 15, 2013, 02:14:39 AM »
I wonder if there's any Adderal use in the NBA, given its allegedly propensity in the NFL

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9322 on: April 15, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
I would think basketball is relatively minor for PED use. MMA, football and baseball would be the big ones.

Depends, I'd imagine that no amount of PEDs would help your brain getting hit continually by giant linebackers or defensive ends, or joint injuries. You might help some wear injuries and aid recovery, but you'd probably see some more typical steroid injuries (muscle/tendon tears).

I was actually asking what if PEDs were successfully eliminated? Athletes wouldn't recover so fast or be so strong/fit/fast, but on the other hand, the other guys wouldn't be so powerful either so they wouldn't get hurt by them so much
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #9323 on: April 15, 2013, 03:22:42 AM »
Sorry, just assumed you were being pro-PED, got mixed up. Anyway I agree with you.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9324 on: April 15, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »
Definitely generally pro-PED, assuming it can be brought into the light and carefully monitored and studied. I just look at some of the NFL guys and think, Jesus how can a normal human being be hit by that and live
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #9325 on: April 15, 2013, 07:16:05 AM »
Yeah I think that watching rugby league too. Some of it is sickening.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9326 on: April 15, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
Points scored so far this season

Carmelo Anthony - 1920

Kevin Durant - 2251

Yet Melo will win the scoring title because of the per game average? Why do we care about the AVERAGE when we can just COUNT THE POINTS SCORED

331 extra points for KD there - that is not insignificant. 10 extra high scoring games vs Melo (or anybody else). At the end of the day, any coach is gonna want the guy who scores more points for the season rather than the guy with the higher average, right?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:03:54 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9327 on: April 15, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »
Yet Melo will win the scoring title because of the per game average?

dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9328 on: April 15, 2013, 10:16:37 PM »
the guy who scored the most points will not win the scoring title?

:mindblown
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9329 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:47 PM »
:drudge Scoring title actually somewhat arbitrary statistical measure, not true reflection of a player's value! :drudge

It's not like anyone important thinks Carmelo's actually better.  Durant's been 1st team All-NBA three years running and Carmelo's never made it, Durant's #2 on ESPN's big player ranking thing vs. Carmelo's #9, Durant's a two-time MVP runner-up, etc.  Let the kid have this.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9330 on: April 15, 2013, 10:24:45 PM »
consolation prize then!

Good good, more ammunition for my coming beef with Beezy over the Knicks - Celtics series
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9331 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
Celts/Pacers game canceled due to the Bostom Marathon bombings.  The game won't be rescheduled.  Playoff seedings wouldn't be affected regardless.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9332 on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:50 PM »
I will henceforth refer to Melo as the 'Average Scoring Leader for 2013'
vjj

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9333 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9334 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
i don't know if you understand how bad the Celtics are this year Mandark. i need some kind of edge here
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #9335 on: April 15, 2013, 11:53:26 PM »
Points scored so far this season

Carmelo Anthony - 1920

Kevin Durant - 2251

Yet Melo will win the scoring title because of the per game average? Why do we care about the AVERAGE when we can just COUNT THE POINTS SCORED

It's even worse when you look at their percentages.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9336 on: April 15, 2013, 11:56:50 PM »
LeBron has more makes on less shots than either of 'em
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #9337 on: April 16, 2013, 12:01:06 AM »
Exactly, LeBron and Durant would have ridiculous averages if they had the freedom Melo has
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9338 on: April 16, 2013, 12:02:07 AM »
But yeah, not arguing for LeBron o/c, he'll have the only hardware anyone cares about. I think Durant will definitely end up with more scoring titles than Jordan, Wilt or anybody else eventually so hard to be too upset on his behalf either.

This was all spurred by hearing Zach Lowe make the case for Marc Gasol over Duncan in the DPOY discussion. it all came down to minutes played - everything else being equal, you have to take the guy who literally produced the most.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9339 on: April 16, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »
So the Heat finish 40-4 over the last 3 months. Not much for Stoney to complain about. Only OKC can realistically challenge them - I think OKC-Heat is a lock for the finals....first time i've felt sure about the best team in the West since 2002 probably.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9340 on: April 16, 2013, 12:07:32 AM »
Don't think San Antonio has a chance against OKC? Just curious, I've barely watched anything and just glanced at the standings today.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9341 on: April 16, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »
Manu will likely still be out, Parker is really banged up and ineffective. They'll still be good because San Antonio but not good enough to beat OKC unless they heal up real fast
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9342 on: April 16, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »
actually Manu may be back earlier than that but who knows about his game shape. He hasn't looked good to me at any point this year.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9343 on: April 16, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »
and check TP's numbers for the past 5 games

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker

OUCH
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9344 on: April 16, 2013, 12:35:27 AM »
STEPH CURRY  :whew
vjj

pilonv1

« Reply #9345 on: April 16, 2013, 12:43:54 AM »
Smashing the made 3s record while shooing 45%. And he's only 24.
itm

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9346 on: April 16, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »
we can take comfort in the fact that his ankles are 64
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9347 on: April 16, 2013, 12:57:23 AM »
 :ufup
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9348 on: April 16, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »
So the Heat finish 40-4 over the last 3 months. Not much for Stoney to complain about. Only OKC can realistically challenge them - I think OKC-Heat is a lock for the finals....first time i've felt sure about the best team in the West since 2002 probably.

There is literally nothing for me to complain about.  :'(

They look like the most obvious title pick in a long time. And the teams that could potentially give them trouble in the West like the Grizzlies or the Spurs also don't seem likely to beat the team they've already shown they are better than OKC.

It's honestly been an utterly boring second half of the season from a worry perspective. Even Spoelstra is starting to look like at least an average NBA coach.  :maf

The only possible media narrative talking point is that it looks so obvious it can't be this easy.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9349 on: April 16, 2013, 01:49:04 AM »
As great as they are, winning a title's generally hard, and OKC was close in most of last years Finals games, no?  The Heat have to be heavy favorites, but it's certainly possible they hit a roadblock.

So hopefully we get a competitive Finals, and if not we'll get the Heat playing against history.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9350 on: April 16, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »
Spoelstra has been excellent - has a very firm grasp on his team's capabilities and has gotten everyone on board with the best way to exploit them. Not much more you can ask. Was stunned at the Joel Anthony offensive outburst today :lol

vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9351 on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:40 AM »
Certainly anything is possible when you have players the caliber of Durant and Westbrook. And in a weird way I think Kevin Martin might actually be a tougher matchup against the heat than harden was since the heat tend to give up a lot of three's. (Harden also had a miserable finals so them getting anything from Martin will be an improvement)

The problem is deep down I believe OKC is roughly the same team they were last year with the same fundamental matchup issues with Miami, while I think Miami is a lot better than they were last year. Watching them is just so night and day to what they were. Everybody does what they are supposed to do and then they have these two fucking gods who can bail you out on both the offensive and defensive end if things aren't going well. And they are just loaded with 3 point shooting now. It felt like it took them until late in the playoffs to finally figure things out last year. Right after the All-Star Break is when they seemed to figure things out this year.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:01:05 AM by Stoney Mason »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9352 on: April 16, 2013, 02:01:19 AM »
It feels like Barkley's Suns vs Jordan's Bulls though. 2nd best is great but it's still 2nd best
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9353 on: April 16, 2013, 02:06:31 AM »
It feels like Barkley's Suns vs Jordan's Bulls though. 2nd best is great but it's still 2nd best

I was going to say this feels like Jordan & Pippen and the Bulls versus those Trailblazer teams with Drexler and Porter. Drexler and Porter were great but they just weren't at that bulls levels.

I say this not because of any similarity in the playing styles but just the way it felt. I rooted for Drexler and Porter (I respect Jordan but I hated him and those bulls as a squad) versus the Bulls but it quickly became clear there was just a gap.

Of course perhaps Durant and Westbrook will prove me wrong. I couldn't hate against that.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #9354 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:21 AM »
at some point, they probably will be better, or at least better in aggregate than LeBron + chief sidekick (whether Wade, Dwight, Kyrie or whoever) but they remain reliant on one-on-one play that can be limited by a fast, athletic defense. And if they keep burning minutes with Perkins, gah. The Thunder are better to the extent that Westbrook and Durant have improved but the overall team play seems very similar to last year. Which is a problem the Heat already solved.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9355 on: April 16, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
just watched last nights warriors game.  Curry  :damn

Dude is totally breaking the record
püp

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9356 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »
I was traveling in LA and missed the chance to troll Kobe fans online :'(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although I did plenty in person :mynicca
[close]
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9357 on: April 16, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9358 on: April 16, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
:drudge

Y! Sources: Seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady has reached agreement on a deal with San Antonio

« Reply #9359 on: April 16, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
Could someone please punch Kevin Johnson in the face? At this point, I don't care who gets the Kings, I just want him to shut the hell up.
野球