Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3659666 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #37080 on: June 27, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
I don't really understand the praise for Scarlet Nexus.

The combat is garbage. What kind of action game doesn't have iframes in a dodge and a game where enemies seem to track you?

And this story is anime garbage. People are saying the girl character is the one to play because she's interesting. I don't find cold and bitchy anime girl character interesting anymore, I'm not 15.

The story is deliciously anime. Everything you could hope for. Child soldiers, one dimensional trope characters, every colour of hair in the rainbow  :uguu :uguu :uguu

I think the combat is great. The dodge is not really a problem when you get the hang of the combat.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37081 on: June 27, 2021, 04:55:25 PM »

Made the Galaxy Great Again   8)
🤴

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #37082 on: June 27, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
Some of those textures 
:woody
jon

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37083 on: June 27, 2021, 06:16:45 PM »
I don't really understand the praise for Scarlet Nexus.

The combat is garbage. What kind of action game doesn't have iframes in a dodge and a game where enemies seem to track you?

And this story is anime garbage. People are saying the girl character is the one to play because she's interesting. I don't find cold and bitchy anime girl character interesting anymore, I'm not 15.

The story is deliciously anime. Everything you could hope for. Child soldiers, one dimensional trope characters, every colour of hair in the rainbow  :uguu :uguu :uguu

I think the combat is great. The dodge is not really a problem when you get the hang of the combat.
I guess I just don't get it. The game seems to be everything I dislike about anime.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37084 on: June 27, 2021, 06:30:34 PM »
The textures in the ME1 remaster are absolutely fantastic. I forgot to take some shots of Turians but their faces have so much detail now.
Also how good is the end game, the entire Ilos -> CItadel Invasion arc is stunning.

Can't wait to start ME2 and see how they cleaned that up.
I recall it had the most interesting locales and better character models.

What's also great about this remaster is that all the cutscenes are in-engine and thus rerendered also.
This is up there with some of the best remasters I've played.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37085 on: June 27, 2021, 08:15:53 PM »
Scarlet Nexus has to be the lamest game I've played in a long time.

« Reply #37086 on: June 27, 2021, 08:49:59 PM »
Just beat Horizon Zero Dawn, nice game but by the end I set the difficulty to story and rushed to the end. Helis went down in like 5 melee attacks  :lol

now to finish Yakuza 0 and get onto some kind of adventure game (I heard all the wadjet eye games are pretty good).

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37087 on: June 28, 2021, 04:37:31 AM »
Ive been playing Stardew Valley with a girl this entire weekend

:-[ :-[
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37088 on: June 28, 2021, 09:40:06 AM »
Finally finished Berseria. Great game at first but it was just tiring to play after a while. Especially as battles were constant buttonmashy affairs where characters would yell out their moves over and over and over, drowning out everything else. The final dungeon and postgame dungeons especially were super annoying in their layouts and some of the things you needed to do to advance. Got a nice amount of trophies, including all the Katz Boxes, beat all the superbosses, got all the cooking recipes, found all the hoverboards, monsters/skits/treasures etc.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37089 on: June 28, 2021, 02:56:12 PM »
Having a lot of fun with Scarlet Nexus. I just played up to the first major story beat at the end of Phase 2.
©@©™

Rman

« Reply #37090 on: June 28, 2021, 03:03:25 PM »
Ratchet. It's fun. Nothing crazy.

« Reply #37091 on: June 28, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Finished Kasane’s route in Scarlet Nexus and starting Yuito now. Seems like the achievements aren’t too hard in this, I’ll probably get the 1000. I wish there was some way to replay boss battles, they are a lot of fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #37092 on: June 28, 2021, 10:40:26 PM »
How long is a route?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37093 on: June 29, 2021, 04:30:26 AM »
Played about 6 hours of Genshin Impact.

This game is like Zelda Breath of the Wild in the same way that the Big Bad Wolf is like Grandma when he's wearing her skin.

« Reply #37094 on: June 29, 2021, 08:06:34 AM »
How long is a route?

About 25 hours, I think. I did a lot of the side quests and social link stuff though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37095 on: June 30, 2021, 06:22:09 PM »
Mass Effect 2 looks even better  :o

:drool

:whoo

:lawd
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37096 on: June 30, 2021, 06:49:02 PM »

This game is like Zelda Breath of the Wild in the same way that the Big Bad Wolf is like Grandma when he's wearing her skin.

That's a lot of words when you could just have said 'better in every way'

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37097 on: July 01, 2021, 03:08:21 AM »

That's a lot of words when you could just have said 'better in every way'

My console  is stuck in verbose mode.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #37098 on: July 01, 2021, 03:33:01 PM »
Been on a Dreamcast kick lately (emulated on a PS Classic).  Goddamn that console was so great. 

Soul Calibur is probably my favorite fighting game ever.  It says a lot that I still have the muscle memory to know combos for pretty much every character.

:expert

The OG 2K sports games

:lawd

Virtua Tennis and Soccer

:uguu

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37099 on: July 01, 2021, 07:46:08 PM »
DC emulated on a PS classic you say?
What

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37100 on: July 02, 2021, 01:24:01 AM »
Anime Boy Side done in Scarlet Nexus. This game is garbage. It really makes me think Japanese game fans have low standards if they think this is good.

Combat can be fun, everything else is shit.

Don't think I'll bother with the girl side.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37101 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:45 AM »
Sounds very illegal

The best kind of legal
What

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37102 on: July 02, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »
Started playing omori. Seems cool. But I will probably end up never finishing it

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #37103 on: July 02, 2021, 10:17:23 PM »
thought lego thing was just a tech demo. pretty cool little thing

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #37104 on: July 03, 2021, 01:05:07 AM »
Just played 5 minutes of Goat Simulator. That was enough.

Anyway, back to PGA Tour 2K21
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 01:09:24 AM by Potato »
Spud

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37105 on: July 03, 2021, 02:34:00 AM »
Finally got around to hooking up the PS5 after all this time. Blame a super busy schedule, lots of shit going down in my personal life, and spending what little gaming time I had trying to finish Berseria. Didn't know that Astro's Playroom was pre-loaded on the PS5, so I played that and platinumed it.

Pretty fun game, although it wears its 3D Mario influence on its sleeve... "Shigeru Miyahon" getting a shout out in the special thanks section is entirely fitting. Easy game with little punishment for fucking up, but a cool 'final boss' fight that's a nice throwback to the PS1 tech demo dinosaur. The motion control segments were my least favorite parts, especially the ape, and probably the biggest downside for me with it.

I do like all the references thrown in there, although some of them I didn't quite get (why did I get a trophy called "Jason"? Who the hell is Jason? Was the game "Pain" for PS3 that big a deal?). I had no clue they made so many adaptors for the PS Move :P
^_^

archnemesis

« Reply #37106 on: July 03, 2021, 03:11:28 AM »
Who the hell is Jason?

Was the game "Pain" for PS3 that big a deal?
Yes. There was barely anything to play during the PS3's first year. As one of the first larger PSN games it was very hyped.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37107 on: July 03, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »

Mass Effect 2 is so good :lawd
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #37108 on: July 03, 2021, 08:13:32 PM »
It’s not the true Mass Effect experience unless you fuck Garrus  :ufup
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #37109 on: July 04, 2021, 01:16:08 AM »
Tried Prodeus - Game seems great, but holy fuck was the first level long. Sure there's checkpoints but for modern gamers that want to be able to play in short bursts this isn't gonna work. Old-school Doom levels were never this long. But the gunplay is real good and it looks and feels nice. Might play the whole thing when the final non-early-access version is done.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37110 on: July 04, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Mass Effect 2 is so good :lawd

just wait till you get to me3 and see they barely did any work on it :trumps
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #37111 on: July 04, 2021, 05:52:06 PM »

:pimp

:salute

:whoo
🤴

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37112 on: July 05, 2021, 12:27:34 AM »
Finally beat Trial of the Fool in Hollow Knight. That was effin hard and I'm scared of the other boss gauntlets now. Currently at 106/112% completion. Getting there

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #37113 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:17 AM »
I hereby proclaim this THE SUMMER OF WEEB because I bought Final Fantasy X/X-2, XII, and all three XIII episodes/games/whatevers on the steam sale because I hate myself

X "hd remaster" doesn't look that great but whatever. God the sphere grid and battle system are great, but HOLY HELL IS THE STORY TERRIBLE AND THE CHARACTERS ARE IRREDEEMABLE TRASH. Tidus is probably up for the worst protagonist of a FF ever (I still haven't played XIII and XV but we'll see) I mean HE'S A FUCKING BLOCKHEAD JOCK WITH DADDY ISSUES, WHY ARE YOU FORCING ME TO PLAY AS THIS PIECE OF SHIT. I would honestly rather be a Ronso, and I hate furries.

Anyway, coinflip odds I abandon all of this before I get to the awesome job system and absurd dress up in X-2.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #37114 on: July 05, 2021, 01:40:49 AM »
lulu  8)

wakka is the most difficult character to enjoy. just a really bland dude, but plays his part i guess. i generally quite like the story and drama. falls hard on anime tropes, but one of the more enjoyable FF's for me. i really love the smooth character transitions in battle. incredible game
◕‿◕

« Reply #37115 on: July 05, 2021, 02:53:11 AM »
I got pretty far in ff10 and quit. I just can’t take random battles.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37116 on: July 05, 2021, 03:16:18 AM »
:piss FFX :piss2

Was basically the end of FF being good

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #37117 on: July 05, 2021, 03:39:42 AM »
:piss FFX haters :piss2

::)
Margs

Rahxephon91

« Reply #37118 on: July 05, 2021, 05:43:32 AM »
FFX da best.

FF is great.

Eat me.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #37119 on: July 05, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
if you think the characters of FFX are terrible, just wait until you get to 13 :doge
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37120 on: July 05, 2021, 09:53:04 AM »
The start of FFX is just impossibly slow, even compared to other FF i've played.
Every time i try to play it, and can barely get to Wakka and the other people.

paprikastaude

« Reply #37121 on: July 05, 2021, 10:03:43 AM »
I wouldn't cry if they deleted everything but 6 and the original 7. And maybe the new version of 12. :idont
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 02:22:39 PM by Spieler1 »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #37122 on: July 05, 2021, 12:06:57 PM »
I wish you could make the sphere grid/battle system of 10 and the characters/art of 12 fuck and have a completely awesome, competent turn based FF kid/game BUT HERE WE ARE, STUCK WITH MODERN SQUARE
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #37123 on: July 05, 2021, 01:56:19 PM »

I think there's an interesting argument to be had that the addition of voiceover as the primary means of communicating the story to the player in the PS2 era onwards really fucks over rpgs in general but FF in particular due to replacing an active form of communication (reading) that requires the player to do something and also engage their imagination vs. a passive one where your imagination is replaced with the developer's "vision." It's probably why I haven't replayed Disco Elysium since it's been fully voiced, honestly.
yar

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #37124 on: July 05, 2021, 02:34:25 PM »
wakka is the most difficult character to enjoy. just a really bland dude, but plays his part i guess.

It was really funny replaying this a few years ago and realizing how Wakka being a massive racist flew over my head as a kid.  When you make it to the Al-Bhed area he goes around calling everyone the ffX equivalent of the n word.

naff

« Reply #37125 on: July 05, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »

uncultured swine alert
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #37126 on: July 05, 2021, 05:30:24 PM »
wakka is the most difficult character to enjoy. just a really bland dude, but plays his part i guess.

It was really funny replaying this a few years ago and realizing how Wakka being a massive racist flew over my head as a kid.  When you make it to the Al-Bhed area he goes around calling everyone the ffX equivalent of the n word.

that's actually one of the redeeming aspects of the character, his racism and attachment to yuna, then realising she's an al bhed too and learning his beloved maesters are all liars and heathens  :lol. he's still a dumb bitch though
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #37127 on: July 05, 2021, 05:34:31 PM »
Started playing It Takes Two with my girl and got through the first section and idk, for all the goty 10/10 acclaim it sure felt pretty embarrassing cringy to play both in the excessive hammy cutscenes and gameplay. Does it pick up quick? Otherwise I'd rather just play something else together.

thetylerrob

« Reply #37128 on: July 05, 2021, 06:18:21 PM »
The writing never elevates above that initial level, except for one incredibly bleak and tonally jarring sequence, but we enjoyed the constantly refreshing gameplay. I think you should stick with it unless the pacing is really dragging for you.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37129 on: July 05, 2021, 08:02:03 PM »
Gameplay is super fun in my opinion.
The story is whatever, but what games do you even play for story anyway?
But yeah for me it clicked from the start, so...

Bebpo

« Reply #37130 on: July 05, 2021, 08:26:38 PM »
It's not the story as much as we had to sit through 15 mins of zzz cutscenes before we could even play. Just hoping cutscenes become more sparse and it's more of a gameplay game.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #37131 on: July 05, 2021, 08:50:18 PM »
I’m playing DETROIT BECOME HUMAN, I love these dumb fuckin David Cage games due to their enormous budgets and B-tier X-Files writing. I also like how it’s not an allegory for slavery

spoiler (click to show/hide)
IT’S AN ALLEGORY FOR SLAVERY
[close]

naff

« Reply #37132 on: July 05, 2021, 08:59:00 PM »
fuck david cage AND FUCK BIG RED
◕‿◕

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #37133 on: July 05, 2021, 10:25:32 PM »
I hereby proclaim this THE SUMMER OF WEEB because I bought Final Fantasy X/X-2, XII, and all three XIII episodes/games/whatevers on the steam sale because I hate myself

X "hd remaster" doesn't look that great but whatever. God the sphere grid and battle system are great, but HOLY HELL IS THE STORY TERRIBLE AND THE CHARACTERS ARE IRREDEEMABLE TRASH. Tidus is probably up for the worst protagonist of a FF ever (I still haven't played XIII and XV but we'll see) I mean HE'S A FUCKING BLOCKHEAD JOCK WITH DADDY ISSUES, WHY ARE YOU FORCING ME TO PLAY AS THIS PIECE OF SHIT. I would honestly rather be a Ronso, and I hate furries.

Anyway, coinflip odds I abandon all of this before I get to the awesome job system and absurd dress up in X-2.

The real White Boy Summer has begun. :jeb
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #37134 on: July 06, 2021, 02:58:45 AM »
Played the 2nd stage in Prodeus. Liked it enough that I picked it up full price on Steam. Game feels real good, giving me Doom 2016 flashbacks.

I probably should play Dusk/Ion Fury/Amid Evil. Never got around to playing any of them, but Prodeus seems really good so far.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37135 on: July 06, 2021, 04:20:19 AM »
I bought DOOM Eternal and DMC V to enjoy in 4k on my new lg cx omggg looks so good

i kinda underestimated the 3070, this baby holds up
What

Hamarr

« Reply #37136 on: July 06, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
I picked up Mario Odyssey and 3D Mario Worlds, or whatever it is called.  Odyssey is pretty fun but I suck at platformers in general.  I’ve also been playing tons of Breath of the Wild.  That game is addictive.  I wish there were more Devine beasts to do, or something similar. I did the challenge island yesterday and that was fun, plus one of the dlc quests where you have the one shot weapon.  I suck at the combat, but was surprised how fun those are when you improvise.

A few friends and I also played some Guantlet Dark Legacy on Dolphin.  The online co op things worked really well except for the laggy sound.  I want a remaster Dark Legacy.   I never owned it before so I don’t think I ever finished it. 

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #37137 on: July 06, 2021, 03:25:35 PM »
It's not the story as much as we had to sit through 15 mins of zzz cutscenes before we could even play. Just hoping cutscenes become more sparse and it's more of a gameplay game.
Skip them.

« Reply #37138 on: July 06, 2021, 11:22:18 PM »
I like everything about Monster Hunter Stories except the combat system. I hate these stupid rock paper scissors systems.......

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #37139 on: July 08, 2021, 10:51:12 AM »
After Astro's Playroom I was hungry for more 3D platforming so I started playing the new Ratchet. Honestly, I've never really followed the series apart from playing a demo of one of the PS3 games. Not sure how I feel about the game - I mean it looks absolutely fantastic (especially the fur shaders), but its game design and story feels like a game from the early 2000s - don't like how fast the camera moves when you try to move it, nor how some places that it looks like you can jump on are just invisible walls. The dialogue and cutscenes are super cheesy and since I've never played the other 20 or so games, have no idea who these characters are or why should I care. A lot of the more interesting ideas (like the pocket dimensions which are more platformer-driven) are over too quickly. Also don't like the soundtrack, it feels generic marvel superhero movie... I'll still continue with it but I feel like since I never was much for the more freeroaming collectathon 3D platformers, never grew up with this series, and was too old for early 2000's CG cartoons (i.e. Jimmy Neutron), it just comes across as childish (but not in the timeless way that something like Nintendo games or lots of Disney movies are).

Astro's is definitely much more in line with what I want from a 3D platformer - more linear, platforming-based levels, and an excellent soundtrack.
^_^