Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 295465 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: The Kickstarter Thread (OUYA the new hotness)
« Reply #840 on: July 10, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
I have a better solution: plug in your PC

I have no idea why anyone wants yet another set-top box

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #841 on: July 10, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
WTF WTF WTF

Why would you want an android console

ARRGHGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I HATE KICKSTARTER

All I need is somebody to hack in emulator or media support. With that I'm fine. I don't care about the operating system.

lol. Then just buy a dinky media center PC? wtf stoney.
fat

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #842 on: July 10, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
WTF WTF WTF

All I need is somebody to hack in emulator or media support. With that I'm fine. I don't care about the operating system.

lol. Then just buy a dinky media center PC? wtf stoney.

I prefer this method. I also kinda think it would be cool to have essentially an ios type platform to play some games with a controller on a tv. That being said its 99 dollars. It's not like this is expensive. If its a piece of shit I wasted 99 dollars. I've wasted worse before. I bought a Wii.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #843 on: July 10, 2012, 05:35:00 PM »
Wii has emulator and media support!
fat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #844 on: July 10, 2012, 05:41:28 PM »
True but I like little larks like this. Hell I bought a Zodiac Tapwave back in the day. It's not much to spend on a curiosity where I have relatively low expectations going in.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #845 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Hey, at least Stoney didn't waste his money on the Penny Arcade Kickstarter instead.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #846 on: July 10, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Hey, at least Stoney didn't waste his money on the Penny Arcade Kickstarter instead.

Not true, I kicked in $500. Ads are evil!

And I'm also trying to re-kickstart that Titanic thing. I believe!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #847 on: July 10, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »

Not true, I kicked in $500. Ads are evil!

You are dead to me, Stoney.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #848 on: July 10, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
I've done like 4 kickstarters I think. The Pinball Arcade one, The Double Fine one, that ios game republique, and the ouya. I clicked on some random dude on the ouya contributers and he had done 197. I think some people are addicted to that shit in a real unhealthy way.

Stoney Mason

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #851 on: July 10, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
I've done like 4 kickstarters I think. The Pinball Arcade one, The Double Fine one, that ios game republique, and the ouya. I clicked on some random dude on the ouya contributers and he had done 197. I think some people are addicted to that shit in a real unhealthy way.

Oh, well then you are forgiven. FOR NOW.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820893788/katalyka/posts/239764
 :bow2

Her Kickstarter profile picture is a cropped version of a topless picture she has on her deviantart account. :rofl
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:59:54 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #852 on: July 10, 2012, 07:59:06 PM »
OU YA!
©@©™

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #853 on: July 10, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
I dunno, android OS and games...traditionally....just kinda...I mean...
o_0

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #854 on: July 10, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »

Her Kickstarter profile picture is a cropped version of a topless picture she has on her deviantart account. :rofl

she is insanely hot

okay where is the topless pic on deviantart I just spent 10 minutes looking for it
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:56:59 PM by The Sceneman »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #855 on: July 10, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Finally a new kickstarter I can get behind

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hiddenpath/defense-grid-2

Hopefully they can get to $1million, I'm not really interested in re-doing the original or just an expansion.
itm

Timber

« Reply #856 on: July 10, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
Lazy jagoff's RPG Maker fancy using only stock assets: $10.000
Obviously schizophrenic woman's card game that will never exist outside her head: $8.000
Dweebs wanting to remove ads from dweeby webcomic site: $THE SKY IS THE LIMIT

What's The Bore's excuse? Why are we not rich yet?
w/e

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #857 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

she is insanely hot

okay where is the topless pic on deviantart I just spent 10 minutes looking for it

Don't...trust me don't :yuck

Timber

« Reply #858 on: July 10, 2012, 09:08:23 PM »
a voice says, "Molly, if you look like a woman, then how will anyone know that you have a penis?"

Why should the people who I don't feel comfortable getting naked with have a right to know what my genitals look like?

A voice says "Molly, poopstick pedophilia."

Why do you believe that the materials of life should serve you by attacking and brutally abusing people just for SEEING your children as something attractive?

What if I told you that I DID "poopstick pedophilia" in 2001, and I was attacked the other day on my way to the grocery store by little girls staring at me strangely, and even though I had no sexual thoughts in my mind AT ALL, I was still attacked and masculinised?

Were those little penises who work for the Navy, talking backwards?
w/e

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #859 on: July 10, 2012, 09:09:12 PM »

she is insanely hot

Click on image gallery at the top of her deviantart homepage, then click "Clothing and Costumes" on the left side. And "insanely hot" is not the descriptor I'd use.
dog

G The Resurrected

« Reply #860 on: July 10, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Hopefully they can get to $1million, I'm not really interested in re-doing the original or just an expansion.

$500 bucks gone just like that, you get the 6870 which is gonna go in my new HTPC.

I hear there are rumors that tegra 3 is just a place marker for tegra 4 if you read the OUYA's team comments. If they raise more money they will make it better.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:43:55 PM by G The Resurrected »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #861 on: July 10, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

she is insanely hot

Click on image gallery at the top of her deviantart homepage, then click "Clothing and Costumes" on the left side. And "insanely hot" is not the descriptor I'd use.

awesome thanks. I dunno I've got a real thing for average looking nerds. I guess I don't get to meet nerdy chicks very often. The whole steampunk thing is a major turnoff but

pilonv1

« Reply #862 on: July 10, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »
So if you get the $500 Defense Grid tier, do you get the 6770 AND the 6870?
itm

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #863 on: July 10, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »

she is insanely hot

awesome thanks. I dunno I've got a real thing for average looking nerds. I guess I don't get to meet nerdy chicks very often. The whole steampunk thing is a major turnoff but

Mind rehosting? I'm too lazy to make a deviantart account and I like average looking nerdy girls :P
^_^

MrAngryFace

« Reply #864 on: July 10, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »
How many kickstarter games will need to suck before people realize what a gamble it all is lol
o_0

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #865 on: July 10, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
she has disgusting tits
USA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #866 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:30 PM »

she is insanely hot

Mind rehosting? I'm too lazy to make a deviantart account and I like average looking nerdy girls :P

Geez, you guys. Okay, here it is, the topless photo of a homely nerd:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's not good, guys. Seriously. Just don't look at it. It's not worth it. But if you just REALLY HAVE TO:
[close]
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #867 on: July 10, 2012, 09:56:57 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #868 on: July 10, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »

she is insanely hot

I'm thinking just "insane".

Also:

I have a penis. I communicate it clearly and proudly. And I believe that I should be just as attractive or even more beautiful than any woman.

Just putting that there.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:07:38 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #869 on: July 10, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »
The #1 Kickstarter has been the Pebble Watch

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-e-paper-watch-for-iphone-and-android

Which did $10 million with 69k backers.

It will be interesting to see if Ouya can get close.

In 24 hours its done 1.8 million with nearly 15k backers.

The Double Fine kickstarter is the second highest one which this should eclipse pretty easily I would think.

Basically what they keep doing is adding to the available number of $99 available pledges which is the console and a controller. When I pledged this morning the limit on the numbers of consoles at that price was 5k. Which they then upped to 10k and now 20k. But there is gonna reach a point if it keeps building I would think where they can't hit those initial shipping numbers and keep upping it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:57:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
How many kickstarter games will need to suck before people realize what a gamble it all is lol

There's nothing wrong with it being a gamble, it's just that lots of people will entitlement-bitch to high heaven when the gamble fails.
野球

Stoney Mason

« Reply #871 on: July 11, 2012, 12:57:16 AM »

1 million is a lot. That would make it like the 8th largest Kickstarter ever. Only 7 have reached the million mark.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #872 on: July 11, 2012, 02:52:24 AM »
I'm thinking just "insane".

Also:

I have a penis. I communicate it clearly and proudly. And I believe that I should be just as attractive or even more beautiful than any woman.

Just putting that there.

[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #873 on: July 11, 2012, 02:55:20 AM »
I'd get a Ouya if they had a significant doujin representation

http://doujingravity.blogspot.com/search/label/Doujin%20Games

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #874 on: July 11, 2012, 03:50:20 AM »
Thought bitch was 'meh', then read on and saw she has a penis. Glad I went 'meh'.
Hi

Sho Nuff

« Reply #875 on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:27 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ocremix/a-4-disc-final-fantasy-6-album-from-oc-remix

I'm sure Square Legal will get a kick out of this

So the big question is: When will the Kickstarter fad fizzle out? Because this is getting ridikkilis

pilonv1

« Reply #876 on: July 11, 2012, 04:33:37 AM »
I went to a conference where some local indy devs said the first one that is released and doesn't live up to expectations will be the end of it. And he claimed that there were ones out there that will never be able to deliver a fraction of what they promised.
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #877 on: July 11, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »
They've done some small console stuff and iOS games so I thought it would more credible than Senior Member of the Bore. I shouldn't have discredited myself.
itm

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #878 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »

I'll be glad if they can get to $750,000 for the level editor. And will settle for $500,000 to get co-op. I think I'll put up on this. I loved Defense Grid so much. Plus if they fail, no skin off my back.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #879 on: July 11, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
I went to a conference where some local indy devs said the first one that is released and doesn't live up to expectations will be the end of it. And he claimed that there were ones out there that will never be able to deliver a fraction of what they promised.

It'll take a big game being a bust [Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland 2, Shadowrun] to burst the bubble. Some cheap-o indie thing with 100 supporters and 10k in funds isn't going to make a dent, because those 100 supporters are barely a fraction of the total pool and very few past those 100 will have even heard of that indie game [much less care about it].
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
The Kickstarter Thread (OUYA the new hotness)
« Reply #880 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:36 AM »
I know this is a popular question, but I don't keep track of Kickstarter news: has anything of note been released yet or is close to being released?
Unzip

archnemesis

« Reply #881 on: July 11, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
I've only sponsored projects that will be out soon. Diamond Trust of London is being manufactured and Xenonauts already has a functional test build available.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:22:16 AM by archnemesis »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #882 on: July 11, 2012, 08:12:45 AM »
I know this is a popular question, but I don't keep track of Kickstarter news: has anything of note been released yet or is close to being released?

Double Fine Adventure is October, Banner Saga is November [assuming they make their estimated release window]. Those are probably the first that anyone besides a handful of people care about.
dog

pilonv1

« Reply #883 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:02 AM »
dood, you're pilonv1.  i *know* you've got a good head on your shoulders, we've talked for years. 

My opinion has been on the internet too much lately! People need a break.

these random anonymous guys?  who are they?  for all i know they worked on some crappy sidhe games or something.

Mostly doing licensed stuff for THQ I think, can't remember now. One of the other guys on the panel was from a studio who is doing Rugby League games, which Sidhe were doing before they moved mainly to digital

Double Fine Adventure is October, Banner Saga is November [assuming they make their estimated release window]. Those are probably the first that anyone besides a handful of people care about.

I think whatever that one by the guy who used to "work" with Kojima will one of them (if it ever gets released :teehee ) . At least those ones you mentioned have some history of finishing projects or had something to show.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 08:20:02 AM by pilonv1 »
itm

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #884 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
I think whatever that one by the guy who used to "work" with Kojima will one of them (if it ever gets released :teehee ) . At least those ones you mentioned have some history of finishing projects or had something to show.

Yeah, I could see Republique being a bust, but we won't know until September of next year [or later].
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #885 on: July 11, 2012, 08:58:34 AM »
I haven't supported a kickstarter yet... only game that I'd even consider doing it for is the Banner Saga, but a lot of this seems like one big scam waiting to happen.
^_^

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #886 on: July 11, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
I haven't supported a kickstarter yet... only game that I'd even consider doing it for is the Banner Saga, but a lot of this seems like one big scam waiting to happen.
I haven't either, but thinking about it on the Defense Grid one. I don't get the anger people have about it. You're donating. For everything else I've seen, I've said no, for this I'm considering plopping down because I like what's on board. If they miss, I don't pay. If they hit, I get what I wanted.

Isn't the whole point that you're putting up money in the hope it can fund a project? Why are people afraid of this? Just don't donate if you're wary.

Takao

« Reply #887 on: July 11, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
I was against hipster Ryan, and am against give me free money arcade.

This is off topic, but does Penny Arcade own an arcade? That would be kind of cool.

Timber

« Reply #888 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:13 AM »
Isn't the Double Fine game due next year? I remember reading/hearing about a 1yr+ dev cycle. Half a year seems crazy.
w/e

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #889 on: July 11, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
Isn't the Double Fine game due next year? I remember reading/hearing about a 1yr+ dev cycle. Half a year seems crazy.

October was their original tentative release window, but I could easily see them pushing it back six months or so with all their extra stuff they're doing because of how much they went over their initial target budget.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #890 on: July 11, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
I haven't either, but thinking about it on the Defense Grid one. I don't get the anger people have about it. You're donating. For everything else I've seen, I've said no, for this I'm considering plopping down because I like what's on board. If they miss, I don't pay. If they hit, I get what I wanted.

Isn't the whole point that you're putting up money in the hope it can fund a project? Why are people afraid of this? Just don't donate if you're wary.

I never really get people who bitch about Kickstarter or try to hold it up to some mythical pure standard of what Kickstarter "should be". It's a big gamble on all this shit. There are of course kickstarters I mock or think are preying on the gullible or dumb but then everyday life is no different.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #891 on: July 11, 2012, 05:11:21 PM »
defense grid owns

will support
萌え~

MrAngryFace

« Reply #892 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:07 PM »
Im just sayin dollars could go to real things!
o_0

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #893 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »
id rather have defense grid 2 than food
萌え~

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #894 on: July 11, 2012, 07:04:17 PM »
OUYA does look and sound pretty hot. Will buy when it gets released if it stays at $99 USD thats pretty amazing.

WTF WTF WTF

I don't understand this. What OS would you have a low rent console use? Android's a pretty good base - I can only think of pros for an operation like this:

- most of the hard work done for them already
- optimised for cheap ARM architecture
- open source

cons:

- ?
◕‿◕

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #895 on: July 11, 2012, 07:11:22 PM »
OUYA does look and sound pretty hot. Will buy when it gets released if it stays at $99 USD thats pretty amazing.

WTF WTF WTF

I don't understand this. What OS would you have a low rent console use? Android's a pretty good base - I can only think of pros for an operation like this:

- open source

cons:

- ?

- Android development is terrible.
- This is gonna hella fork once more. "Android" is meaningless.
- Android has no good TV UI, so that's a total custom jobbie too.
- Android has significant overhead in its OS and wrapper APIs, compounded by the system being so low-spec.
- Most games don't run on ARM by default.
- ANDROID DEVELOPMENT IS TERRIBLE.

For the price they're targeting, a low-cost standard PC that people can code for using normal development methodologies would be a LOT more useful. At $99 you are gettng a GP32 that you plug into your TV. It's gonna make the Wii look like a powerhouse.
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #896 on: July 11, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
You are paying $99 for an ANDROID PHONE that plugs into your TV. If any game support a controller, then you can use a controller. THIS IS A PHONE WITH TV OUT.
乱学者

Sho Nuff

« Reply #898 on: July 11, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »

WTF WTF WTF

- open source

cons:

- ?

I simply DON'T WANT A LOW RENT CONSOLE, I already have an Xbox/PS3/PC hooked up, there is no reason for its existence in my living room

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #899 on: July 11, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
Not only that, you can get an Xbox 360 for $99 fairly easily. If you are so excited to play games on a television?

It's not too late to take back your donation!
乱学者