Author Topic: The Game Crowdfunding Thread  (Read 295454 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Kickstarter Thread (A fool and his money are soon parted)
« Reply #1500 on: September 17, 2013, 06:40:36 PM »
They're well on their way to being funded and then some, it's hardly going poorly.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1501 on: September 17, 2013, 07:14:42 PM »
Eh, every Kickstarter is going to have lofty stretch goals, whether they're realistic or not. It gets people excited and helps maintain interest after the initial surge.
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1502 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Eh, every Kickstarter is going to have lofty stretch goals, whether they're realistic or not. It gets people excited and helps maintain interest after the initial surge.

I'm with Oscar on this one. Even if you have the goals you usually tactfully keep them in your back pocket for a few days. Everything about the Kickstarter suggests WayForward expected to be funded in the first 24 hours, not slowly grinding their way out across the finish line.
乱学者

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #1503 on: September 17, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »

I'm with Oscar on this one. Even if you have the goals you usually tactfully keep them in your back pocket for a few days. Everything about the Kickstarter suggests WayForward expected to be funded in the first 24 hours, not slowly grinding their way out across the finish line.
Wayforward didn't count on the fact that it was Wayforward making the game, which of course makes normal people wary.
vin

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #1504 on: September 17, 2013, 07:32:04 PM »
DuckTales! A bloo bloo. :tocry
乱学者

Tasty

« Reply #1505 on: September 17, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
I also think the timing was bad, revealing it a day after Mighty No. 9.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1506 on: September 17, 2013, 07:36:40 PM »

Wayforward didn't count on the fact that it was Wayforward making the game, which of course makes normal people wary.

people on kickstarter seems to found everything anyway
<----

Steve Contra

« Reply #1507 on: September 17, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

Denis Dyack :'(
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1508 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »

Denis Dyack :'(

David Jaffe :heh
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1509 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
I thought Shantae 3DS was already out? Huh. Yeah, we're reaching Shantae saturation at this point.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1511 on: September 18, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

for friggin sake... the nostalgia machine doesn't spare even robocod

:what
<----

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1512 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
I thought Shantae 3DS was already out? Huh. Yeah, we're reaching Shantae saturation at this point.

Nope, not yet.  They started the Kickstarter for the game coming out after the 3DS Shantae, which created some confusion when they revealed the 3DS Shantae game like a week later.   :dizzy

The Shantae DSi/iOS game was also recently greenlit for a Steam port.
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1513 on: September 19, 2013, 06:07:14 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1514 on: September 19, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
They purposefully budgeted their Kickstarter below what they knew they needed, because they hoped that they'd be able to secure traditional funding somewhere down the road. :beli
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1515 on: September 19, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
:beli

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1516 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:58 PM »
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200644/Another_highprofile_Kickstarter_runs_out_of_gas.php

Oops

"Clang" ran out of money. Try again Neal Stephenson

Should have kickstarted Snow Crash 2 instead.
©@©™

Damian79

« Reply #1517 on: September 22, 2013, 07:04:54 AM »

So glad i backed this.

Damian79

« Reply #1518 on: September 24, 2013, 03:42:54 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/499609193/citizens-of-earth-a-modern-rpg

A really good looking Earthbound clone.  Hopefully more people will support.  Someone post this on GAF.  :p

archnemesis

Damian79

« Reply #1520 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:34 AM »
As long as it is there i guess.

Fifstar

« Reply #1521 on: September 24, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »
Sounds interesting but the Art is atricious. Makes sense that all the money goes to asset design I guess.
Gulp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1522 on: September 25, 2013, 11:35:31 PM »
Not game-related, but this is currently a cause célèbre for Something Awful:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house

It really comes down to this post:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the fuck happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Check out the Kicktraq chart:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house/#chart-daily
dog

Steve Contra

« Reply #1523 on: September 25, 2013, 11:59:43 PM »
Not game-related, but this is currently a cause célèbre for Something Awful:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house

It really comes down to this post:

I think we've all been there, jobless with nothing but a bucket of hotdogs, a block of processed cheese, a van, an American flag, and a goddamn dream.

Or at least that was my initial impression. Since the campaign started, the guy has actually built his kitchen (look at the updates!), done some hotdog catering, set up his entire supply chain, and he appears to have his budget planned very well, albeit with the help of "How to Start a Hotdog Cart" eBooks. He's got a dream, man, and none of us and not even the devil himself is going to be able to stop him. Unlike a lot of crappy Kickstarters, I believe this is going to happen with or without our funding. This guy is Forrest Gump and his shrimping boat/hotdog stand might as well be built right next to the Field of Dreams. I don't mean to imply that he's an idiot, but that I admire his blind confidence and hotdog faith.

I come from Hipsterville where we only eat hotdogs ironically, as a joke, so that other people can look at us and say "Haha. That's hilarious. Let me take an Instagram of that. Imagine if you ate hotdogs and actually liked them." So this campaign touches me in ways both mystical and nostalgic. It makes me yearn for the days when I could eat bad food unironically and wear plaid because it's warm and because lumberjacks are cool, not because I'm trying to convey some dumb hidden message. Every time you eat a hotdog, you get to become a kid again for two minutes.

The hotdogs are hilarious, but I genuinely hate it when people get flak for "trying too hard." We badly need more people who try too hard. It's the most foolish insult to say, "I dislike you because I dislike effort." We are a generation of people who were told their entire lives by nurturing, caring, hippie parents they we are all geniuses. Every boy a wonderboy. Every child above average. But rare is a parent who doesn't care about test scores and IQs, but instead praises their kid only for trying and failing. Effort, man. Effort. That matters so much more than innate intelligence, than knowledge, than wit. You should try to do new things even when (hell, especially when) you think you will fail. This man is trying hard, with all his might, for an aspiration that isn't even lofty. It's humble man wanting for a reachable goal involving the most meager of foods in the tiniest of towns in the poorest of states.

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm going to dislike a guy for trying too hard. It's apparent that he has turned to crowdfunding only because he has already put every spare dollar he owns into this business. I might not believe in the superior deliciousness of Doobie's hotdogs, but I want to believe in them. And I would eat one.

Another thing is that this appears to be a very small town where the median household income is 20 grand and the most prominent restaurant is a Subway. A hotdog stand, of all things, could affect real change there. It's a good story: The unfeeling internet hordes pulling together to fund a rural hotdog stand in Reform, Alabama. That is something I want to be part of. "Doobie's Dog House" is a name worthy of headlines. I want confused journalists to try to figure out what the fuck happened, why it happened, and how they can possibly convey the idea of crowdfunding to their readers. It'll be like when CNN tries to explain memes. At the very least, this has the potential to make an entire town wonder about Something Awful. Someday, I would like to drive to Doobie's Dog House, eat a hotdog, and think of goons.

To finally answer your question about our motivations, it's definitely the third option. We are good and bad meats processed together and extruded as 6 foot tall tubes, both cynical and kind, complicated and salty. Goons are actual hotdogs. I pledged $25 for both entertainment and charity. If this works and there's a hungry Alabama goon who wants my hotdogs, they can have them. Just please take pictures so it's like a child sponsorship charity, only for meat tubes instead of impoverished children. If the Kickstarter fails, then I will have paid nothing and told a guy that I admire his efforts and his gumption.

Check out the Kicktraq chart:

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house/#chart-daily
:american
vin

Steve Contra

« Reply #1524 on: September 26, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »
:fbm
vin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1525 on: September 26, 2013, 12:10:24 AM »
the only part that's going to suck is when his business folds within six months, leaving his family penniless.

Better to have loved and lost, than to have never kickstarted at all.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1526 on: September 26, 2013, 12:39:42 AM »
the only part that's going to suck is when his business folds within six months, leaving his family penniless.

Better than leaving his family penisless.

Tasty

« Reply #1527 on: September 26, 2013, 12:55:42 AM »
Wait I don't get the context here. Why is this KS failing good? Or bad? Give me a side to blindly root for.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1528 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:27 AM »
Sometimes you just wanna go to Alabama and get a hotdog, this man is working hard to make that possible.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #1529 on: September 26, 2013, 02:45:38 AM »
Oh cool. Couldn't tell if that SA post was satire (aren't they all? lol.)

I didn't know hipsters apparently hated Hot Dogs. Wtf. :maf (In before Devo defending hipsters. ::))

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #1530 on: September 26, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
I get that the man has a dream but

:kobeyuck

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1531 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:30 AM »
Apparently, those pictures were taken from a meal his family was having that night.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1532 on: September 26, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »
Funding achieved:

dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1533 on: September 26, 2013, 11:29:43 AM »
I get that the man has a dream but

(Image removed from quote.)

:kobeyuck

These dawgs are 100% alabama, you best check your yankee privilege.  :gurl
©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #1534 on: September 26, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
Shitty hot dogs  :lawd

Right up there with shitty hot wings for shit I'll eat no matter the consequences
vin

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1535 on: September 26, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
that slightly warms even my frosty heart.

No... that's just heartburn.

So "Alabama" is shitty chilli with American processed cheese? Got it.

Steve Contra

« Reply #1536 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:26 PM »
I tossed the guy some money.  Living the dream.
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1537 on: September 26, 2013, 03:37:47 PM »

Why do you hate America?
dog

« Reply #1538 on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »
I love hot dogs. Fuck the haters. I'll toss him $20.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1539 on: September 26, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
I love hot dogs. Fuck the haters. I'll toss him $20.

Sure, it looks like it's made with Wolf Brand chili and a slice of american cheese, but if the weiner tastes good, then who cares? :drool
©@©™

Steve Contra

« Reply #1540 on: September 26, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »
That dude must be losing his shit.  Imagine waking up and finding out that weird internet people from all over the world have given you 6 grand?
vin

Tasty

« Reply #1541 on: September 26, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »
I love haters and fuck hot dogs. I'll toss him $20.

Fixed.

« Reply #1542 on: September 26, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
I love haters and fuck hot dogs. I'll toss him $20.

Fixed.

Whatever floats your boat, dude.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1543 on: September 26, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
http://kotaku.com/backers-livid-as-carmageddon-kickstarter-mentions-tiere-1399549666

Sorry for Kotaku link, but its where I found it.

TL;DR version:
Carmageddon Kickstarter promises full game for $15 tier.
Carmageddon announces Steam Early Access, and DLC.
Kickstarter babies cry about DLC not being included in there pledge rewards.
Carmageddon devs claim "full game" means just the full game, then relents and says it will give DLC to backers.

Even shorter version:
Entitled crybabies push developer to giving them free stuff.

Steve Contra

« Reply #1544 on: September 26, 2013, 08:02:13 PM »
They definitely shouldn't have announced DLC before the backers have gotten theirs, that for damn sure.
vin

Tasty

« Reply #1545 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:56 PM »
They definitely shouldn't have announced DLC before the backers have gotten theirs, that for damn sure.

Yeah, that was a boneheaded move.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1546 on: September 26, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Ehn, see, this is the thing with Kickstarter.  You have to word things carefully because your backers, your investors, the only reason you were able to make your project happen literally *are* entitled.  And there's nothing wrong with that expectation IMO.  Don't use the word 'full' even in the sense we typically understand it in the industry, because it certainly has a very arguable definition that ought to include everything.

Hopefully lessons will be learned.

On the other hand, some people were mad at the Shadowrun Kickstarter because only backers were going to get the first DLC pack for free. But I digress.

But yeah, this was a dumb move by the Carmageddon guys. They should have at least waited until after release to talk about DLC if they weren't going to give it to the backers for free. Kickstarter success is all about goodwill, if you don't have goodwill then you're going nowhere. Bringing up DLC, especially after the game's been funded and before it's actually released, is going to upset the kind of people who fund games on Kickstarter, especially when you tell them they're going to have to pony up extra money for it.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:00:07 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1548 on: September 28, 2013, 12:18:31 PM »
Mighty No. 9 is at $2.76 million with 3 days to go.

Shantae is at $478k with 6 days to go.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1549 on: September 28, 2013, 02:42:57 PM »

Why do you hate America?

s/America/Alabama.

Then again I do hate American processed cheese...

Takao

« Reply #1550 on: September 29, 2013, 03:10:15 PM »
The Shantae Kickstarter is a bit weird. The only people who would care about that IP are Nintendo handheld owners, but this new one isn't on a Nintendo handheld.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1551 on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »
gave a try to this

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/460275866/valdis-story-abyssal-city

meh,there isn't really anything wrong with the metroidvania elements but it's somewhat barren's,there aren't a lot of kind of enemies (usualy there is a melee one,a ranged one and a big one for every one of the 3 race's) and of course the art is super :kobeyuck

the boss are allright at least
<----

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1552 on: October 04, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
Shantae ended today with about $811k.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1554 on: October 07, 2013, 10:57:14 PM »
Shovel Knight looks kind of cool going from a trailer I just viewed. Former Way Forward people though so I guess that means it'll just look/sound cool and that's it. :fbm
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #1555 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
I dunno, the core gameplay looks fun enough on its own even if they don't do much with it.

Tasty

« Reply #1556 on: October 07, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
i stopped caring about shovel knight now that mighty no 9 exists.

Inafking > ex-WF?

Tasty

« Reply #1557 on: October 07, 2013, 11:11:08 PM »
But wasn't Contra 4 good?

(That's the only one I ever hear the majority of people praising.)

Damian79

« Reply #1558 on: October 08, 2013, 03:24:08 AM »
How to do a good kickstarter.  Thought Sho Nuff might be interested if he is going to do one.

magus

• LIKES FF7
« Reply #1559 on: October 08, 2013, 06:36:41 AM »
How to do a good kickstarter.

hello my game was inspired by *insert popular 90 game* there i saved you an hour and half
<----