Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866613 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7500 on: February 01, 2010, 02:39:13 AM »
Soo word on the street is that Matt Taibbi owned David Brooks here
http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/2010/01/27/populism-just-like-racism/

but it's way too long, and I don't like Taibbi that much anyway.

Mandark

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #7501 on: February 01, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »
He tore Brooks a new one recently after the "Haiti is poor because they worship voodoo; wotta bunch of losers" column.

I think of Taibbi in the same category as Michael Moore.  They're generally on the side of the angels, they've gotten people to pay attention to important issues which weren't getting much play from the media, and they're fun polemicists when they're firing on all cylinders.  But they're also both capable enough of dishonesty that I'd never believe something they told me without checking the sources, and they seem to love shit-stirring just a bit too much.  It's like Hitchens before the turn.

All that said, Taibbi's worth a thousand David Brookses.  His passive-aggressive "Oh, but I'm a moderate, Burkean conservative!" schtick gets under my skin in a way that the direct bloodlust of a Charles Krauthammer doesn't.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7502 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:36 AM »
Shame you weren't a conservative Mandark, you could have been a great Glen Beck fan.

Mandark

• Icon
Now who's seeing things in black and white?
« Reply #7503 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:53 AM »
Wouldn't the better comparison be Rush Limbaugh, who you were a listener of but realized you couldn't trust when he turned apologist for the Bush I tax hike?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7504 on: February 01, 2010, 12:44:09 PM »
Nah, if he was a conservative he'd still be rather smart. And as such Mandark would gravitate towards the intellectual idea men of the movement, such as Gingrich

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7505 on: February 01, 2010, 02:04:22 PM »
you mean david brooks :teehee
duc

Phoenix Dark

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7506 on: February 01, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
I'd patiently await Mandark's weekly State of the Bore post, complete with pseudo social labels for all posters

But which poster would he become obsessed with, almost to the point of sexual fantasies?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7507 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:54 PM »
boogie
duc

Phoenix Dark

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #7508 on: February 01, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »
So we'd get a Boogie police academy valedictorian speech fanfic  :heartbeat

But some weeks he'd be disappointed with Boggie and wonder why he was (allegedly) acting like Kosma

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7509 on: February 01, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »
At this point, I'm beginning to wonder whether Specter is planning on releasing a rap album

At a Pennsylvania Progressive forum this Saturday, Sen. Arlen Specter (D-PA) and Rep. Joe Sestak (D-PA) were supposed to be doing separate Q&As, one after the other.

But Specter apparently jumped the gun and climbed onstage while Sestak was giving his closing remarks, and a moderator asked him to get off the stage.

Watch, care of PCN:
[youtube=560,345]vEitIiaQtN8[/youtube]
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/02/specter-to-sestak-imma-let-you-finish.php?ref=tn

:lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7510 on: February 01, 2010, 04:34:24 PM »
Wow, Specter came off like kind of a jerk when he began pointing to his watch. :lol
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7511 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »
Pat Toomey is going to beat Specter this November, which is really depressing.  But Pennsylvania has a track record of inexplicably electing skeezy right wing Senators who try pretend they're not skeezy right wingers.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7512 on: February 01, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »
I can't wait for the Democrats to get voted out because people want change, the Republicans come back into power, make things worse, people vote Democrats back in for change, they do nothing and/or make things worse, vote the Republicans back into power, etc.

Stop this crazy planet, I want off.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7513 on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
Specter will probably off himself after he loses his seat  :-\

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7515 on: February 01, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
Now Prole's trollin on the facebooks cause I talked (limited) smack about Taibbi.

The problem is that he's become an avatar for fed up liberalism, and any criticism of him gets perceived as an attack on the expression of honest anger or use of cuss words when discussing politics.  So no matter what you say, it immediately turns into installment 512,207 of The Role of Tone In Political Discussion, an ongoing series.

Of course, they're absolutely right on the larger issue of tone.  If something is genuinely outrageous (and many things often are in US politics) then people should be allowed to express genuine outrage and anger without being dismissed.  Enforcing rules about politeness and decorum creates a huge bias in favor of the status quo by limiting participation to those who are comfortable with it.  Anyone who feels genuinely aggrieved is on the outside.

The problem is honesty.  You read Taibbi's stuff enough and you'll catch him misinforming or misleading the reader in ways that have to be deliberate.  I'm not talking about hyperbole for comic or emphatic effect, either.  I'm talking about times when he quotes statistics or describes versions of events in ways that are flat out disingenuous.

He doesn't do it all the time, and he probably doesn't even do it most of the time.  But he does it enough that I've learned not to simply take his word for things.  Nobody yet has given me a good explanation of why I should gloss over these things.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7516 on: February 01, 2010, 10:58:47 PM »
Wouldn't the better comparison be Rush Limbaugh, who you were a listener of but realized you couldn't trust when he turned apologist for the Bush I tax hike?

Yea, I just didn't feel like editing it. I went to bed.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7517 on: February 01, 2010, 11:02:22 PM »
The point was to get you introspecting enough to get off yer high horse, not that Limbaugh's an exact (or even terribly close) equivalent of Taibbi.

Everybody tolerates a certain amount of misbehavior among people who are fighting what they see to be the good fight.  You've personally been on the Gingrich, McCain, Giuliani, and Buckley bandwagons IIRC.  It's not like you're doling out praise only to the worthiest of worthies.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7518 on: February 01, 2010, 11:44:52 PM »
I think there is a line of distinction between admiring/respecting politicians, policy makers or people with a rare good ideas versus championing blind pitbulls chained to an ideology. What good does Pat Buchanan do for political discourse, his party or America in general? Don't get me wrong, there's times when Taibbi or Buchanan can have a paragraph or a few lines that are absolute spun gold .. but it's merely posturing and bravado. 

So, to say he is worth 1000 David Brooks is overstating his value immensely. Brooks has the ability to shift public opinion (from either side of the aisle), Taibbi and Buchanan merely convince people to remain in their shells.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:48:51 PM by ToxicAdam »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7519 on: February 02, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »
So, to say he is worth 1000 David Brooks is overstating his value immensely. Brooks has the ability to shift public opinion (from either side of the aisle), Taibbi and Buchanan merely convince people to remain in their shells.

I sincerely don't know what that means.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #7520 on: February 02, 2010, 01:09:27 AM »
Oh well. I was hoping you'd agree with me and we could walk off arm in arm.

As a centrist, Brooks' columns/ideas have the potential to shift thought more than someone coming from a more polarized, excitable corner of the political spectrum.

So, it would seem to me that you would want someone like David Brooks on "your side" of the issue, then the ever predictable Matt Taibbi. Which makes his opinion on things a bit more valuable in the grand scheme of things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:11:22 AM by ToxicAdam »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #7521 on: February 02, 2010, 01:41:48 AM »
He tore Brooks a new one recently after the "Haiti is poor because they worship voodoo; wotta bunch of losers" column.

I think of Taibbi in the same category as Michael Moore.  They're generally on the side of the angels, they've gotten people to pay attention to important issues which weren't getting much play from the media, and they're fun polemicists when they're firing on all cylinders.  But they're also both capable enough of dishonesty that I'd never believe something they told me without checking the sources, and they seem to love shit-stirring just a bit too much.  It's like Hitchens before the turn.

All that said, Taibbi's worth a thousand David Brookses.  His passive-aggressive "Oh, but I'm a moderate, Burkean conservative!" schtick gets under my skin in a way that the direct bloodlust of a Charles Krauthammer doesn't.

Absolutely. I basically agree with his position on Goldman Sachs, but I had a list of issues with it. He tries to have it both ways, criticizing them for one thing, then when they change tack and do the opposite, blasting them for that as well. Yes they're evil, but his position is just inconsistent sometimes. Plus, he plays the 'guilty by association' card far too much.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7522 on: February 02, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
mandark has a facebook?  :o

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #7523 on: February 02, 2010, 01:46:58 AM »
I don't think so, or else I would know about it.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #7524 on: February 02, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »
mandark: a narcissist? :o :o :o
duc

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #7525 on: February 02, 2010, 03:34:49 AM »
Let's talk this shit out over an Applebee's saladbar.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7526 on: February 03, 2010, 03:42:33 AM »
Colbert annihilating Harold Ford jr
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/02/harold-ford-panders-to-st_n_445854.html

kinda bummed no Wu Tang jokes have spawned from all this "visiting Staten Island by helicopter" talk

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #7527 on: February 03, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/supreme_court_allows?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The onion has been killing it lately.

So in a 5-4 decision, I can marry a corporation, but not the man I love. :'(

I mean, theoretically. :teehee
乱学者

Dickie Dee

« Reply #7528 on: February 03, 2010, 03:05:36 PM »
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/supreme_court_allows?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
The onion has been killing it lately.

This one on the front page made me LOL

Bald Eagle Tired Of Everyone Just Assuming It Supports War
February 1, 2010 | Issue 46•05

The symbol of American might called the 2003 invasion of Iraq "ill-advised at best, illegal at worst."

THE OREGON WILDERNESS—Frustrated by the widely held assumption that he unequivocally endorses the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, a bald eagle said Monday that his thoughts on the conflicts were far more nuanced than many Americans might expect.

Speaking to reporters from his nest in the upper branches of a 175-foot ponderosa pine tree, the eagle explained that each member of his species was different and none should be taken for granted as a lockstep supporter of American military policy.

"I think World War II was justified, and I got behind the first Gulf War [in 1990]," said the bird, who has served as the national symbol of the United States since 1782. "But the recent war in Iraq, with its shifting rationale and poor planning, was clearly a huge mistake. Personally, I believe that these crucial, life-and-death matters deserve more honest and less politicized discussion than they get."

"I'm not a hawk or a dove," he added. "I'm an eagle."

The majestic bird of prey, who said he is not registered with any political party, admitted to having some ambivalence about the current mission in Afghanistan, lamenting that any argument one could make seemed to prompt an equally valid counterpoint.

The eagle said he would like to visit Iraq someday, but is worried it might cause impromptu firefights.
"Sure, I understand the reasoning behind the latest troop surge," the eagle said regarding President Obama's plan to commit 30,000 additional soldiers to the region to combat the Taliban. "Can we allow that country to collapse and become an al-Qaeda safe haven again? That seems like a disastrous outcome to me, but at the same time, maybe our continued presence is just creating more terrorists in the long run. Plus, how can we work with someone as corrupt as [Afghan president] Hamid Karzai and still purport to be champions of democracy?"

"You see, these issues are not so cut and dried," continued the Haliaeetus leucocephalus specimen. "And yet, every time I try to explain myself from atop a flag pole or the middle of a baseball field, no one wants to listen. They just cheer and chant 'U.S.A.! U.S.A! U.S.A.!'"

Sources said the eagle then excused himself and launched into the air with a shrill "skree!" sound, returning three minutes later with a glistening fish in his talons.

"And another thing: We can't forget Pakistan," the eagle said as he used his hooked beak to tear at the flesh of the writhing rainbow trout. "We have to make sure that they're not so preoccupied with India that they neglect the terrorist threats within their own borders. Remember, Pakistan has nukes."

The eagle went on to tell reporters that, despite his attempts to individuate himself from the general public's perceptions of bald eagles, he could ultimately control his image only so much. He also admitted that he still had lingering resentment over the fact that someone had covertly photographed him crying on 9/11 and used the picture on a "Never Forget" dinner plate.

"I really hated being exploited like that," the eagle said. "Of course I cried on 9/11. Everyone did. But I guess that's the burden of being the symbol of a nation: People are going to use you in ways you don't always like. You step out of the nest to clear your head with a few minutes of soaring, and people automatically peg you as some kind of embodiment of American freedom worth killing and dying for."

"And, frankly, that's a little messed up," he added. "I'm just a bird."
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7529 on: February 03, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
[youtube=560,345]yo7HiQRM7BA[/youtube]
The best way to view California Senate Candidate Carly Fiorina's awesomely bizarre new primary campaign ad--which includes shots of an alien robot sheep, or something--is by pressing play on your cassette tape of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon just as you click play on YouTube.

The coolest part of the whole thing is that Fiorina is positing fiscal conservatives as sheep, which is a bit like Barack Obama running a spot that posits liberals as leeches or lizards. Also, is it weird that the ad never shows Fiorina's face? Is it better that voters know their candidates by the backs of their heads? More please, more.

ALSO: I must state the obvious: The odd genius of the ad is that it is so weird that you will click on it online, and bloggers like me will link to it. The message is delivered.

Oblivion

« Reply #7530 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
Jon Stewart's gonna be on Bill O tonight. :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7531 on: February 03, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »
Ezra Klein on it

It's almost impossible for me to believe that this ad comparing fiscal conservatives to sheep -- but in a good way! -- is real. But it is! The problem with Tom Campbell, the ad says, is all of his independent thought.

Campbell is, to use a current metaphor on this blog, sort of a Paul Ryan figure in California. Very, very conservative. But interested in making progress on the issues facing the state. And that's exactly what the ad takes aim at. The narrator goes through efforts Campbell made to solve problems, and then asks the audience, can you believe all this responsible governance he attempted? The worst part is it's probably effective. Governance is unpopular! After all, if the solutions to all our problems were popular, then we wouldn't have all these problems lying around.

lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7532 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
It's funny because he was on video game message boards a decade or so ago, talking about macking on chicks.

http://www.consolecity.com/forum/member.php?u=336
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:58:15 PM by T EXP »
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #7533 on: February 03, 2010, 11:56:57 PM »
So apparently wolves have red laser eyes?
are they...cyber-wolves  :o
If so does that imply non-conservatives are evil robots from the future?

Man, Avatar is having too much influence on society!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:59:37 PM by Bebpo »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7534 on: February 04, 2010, 12:02:25 AM »
It's funny because he was on video game message boards a decade or so ago, talking about macking on chicks.

I saw some videos of him and he's a total mouth breather. Makes sense.

M3wThr33

« Reply #7535 on: February 04, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
Hey guys. Check this out:

Survey against Self-identifying Republicans:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/02/mcgop-virtues-and-vices-of-sameness.html

Basically, if you're Republican, you all think the same. VERY little deviation UNLESS you're not-white and asked about a racist topic or Palin.

Reading the 538 comments are great. Basically Republicans see this as a sign of strength and not one of brainwashing. I'd much rather live in a world where people have different ideas and can discuss things.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 02:32:37 AM by M3wThr33 »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7536 on: February 04, 2010, 03:20:03 AM »
and these are the people who will sweep in a wave of republicans in november

:-\

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7537 on: February 04, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
I thought the GOP has been known for years to be a party where everyone was in lockstep with one another.

The GOP voters will just swallow the talking points whole.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

« Reply #7538 on: February 04, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »

I saw some videos of him and he's a total mouth breather. Makes sense.

Ezra Klein mouth breather?

wha
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7539 on: February 04, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
yea dude, I'll try to find the video. it was a recent panel on health care

M3wThr33

« Reply #7540 on: February 04, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
I thought the GOP has been known for years to be a party where everyone was in lockstep with one another.

The GOP voters will just swallow the talking points whole.
It was KNOWN but not proven. This just proves it. Sadly, the more organized a party is, the greater power they hold, regardless of intentions or intelligence.

:-/ For some reason I had Hannity on two days ago and a woman called in. She runs some business and wanted to rant about the Jobs bill. Basically she said if she hired someone, she still wouldn't have any more customers anyways and fire them a month later and they'd start collecting unemployment again.

You need to work for 6 months to collect unemployment. :-(

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #7541 on: February 04, 2010, 03:00:02 PM »
I'm surprised that the birther nonsense is still so widely believed.  When Glenn Beck thinks its bullshit, you know its crazy.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #7542 on: February 04, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
I don't think Ezra Klein is a mouthbreather but I think it is clear that he will either be an official of some type or run for some kind of political office someday.  It would be interesting to see if something like internet forum activity would be scoured by the opposition and if something was discovered, whether it would be used against him, and also how the public reacts to it.
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

« Reply #7543 on: February 04, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
If they want to make hay out of things he posted when he was ~15 years old, they're more than welcome.

I'm also not sure if mouthbreather means what you think it means. Even if he's a knob (which I've seen little evidence) I don't see any way you could claim he's too dumb to breath properly, which is what that term means.
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7544 on: February 04, 2010, 06:22:01 PM »
Too dumb to breath properly? That's not what mouthbreather means dude.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #7545 on: February 04, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
What does it mean to you peedee?
___

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #7547 on: February 04, 2010, 07:51:37 PM »
Reconcilation is not representative, by Senator Judd Gregg

This piece is a riot. Some highlights:

In a last-ditch effort to drag their bloated and unpopular $2.3 trillion health care reform package across the finish line, congressional Democrats, reeling from the loss of their 60th Senate seat, are reviewing their options to achieve this goal.

With the election of Republican Scott Brown to the U.S. Senate, more than 40 out of 100 senators now oppose the Democrats’ plan.

Shit, nothing should ever pass if a majority of 41% opposes it!

Democrats may attempt to use reconciliation to short-circuit every senator’s right and responsibility to fully debate a measure that will affect one-sixth of our economy.

Translation: short-circuit the minority party's right to suspend all debate.

If reconciliation is used, it will be a clear signal to Americans that the administration and the Democratic majority are willing to trample the spirit of the Senate in order to pass a highly partisan policy, regardless of the damage it does to the concept of representative government.

Kind of like how the Republicans have trampled the spirit of the Senate by using a procedural glitch to derail EVERYTHING they don't agree with?
smh

Where do they get 2.3 trillion from? Probably adding the full house/senate bills plus a few billions here or  there. Also it's funny reconciliation wasn't a senate killer when republicans used it to pass Bush's tax cuts and the perscription drug bill

I read somewhere that republicans can block reconciliation for 20 hours; they won't be able to submit endless amendments as Gregg has claimed they'll do.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #7548 on: February 06, 2010, 02:26:26 AM »
Wow... even Joe Klein has noticed that Republicans aren't serious, calling McCain out:  "the formerly virtuous John McCain, a sore loser who has reversed his position on practically everything lately."

I'd hesitate to call him "formerly virtuous" but nonetheless, this answers a long standing question of mine... are our pundits learning?  I guess so.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #7549 on: February 06, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
I'd hesitate to call him "formerly virtuous" but nonetheless, this answers a long standing question of mine... is our pundits learning?  I guess so.

Fixed.

M3wThr33

« Reply #7550 on: February 06, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14341404?nclick_check=1

Anthem Blue Cross to hike California health premiums as much as 39 percent
LOS ANGELES — Anthem Blue Cross has told some customers it will raise their health insurance premiums as much as 39 percent beginning March 1.

The increases, reported today by the Los Angeles Times, involve as many as 800,000 customers who buy individual coverage. People with group coverage aren't affected.

In a statement, the Woodland Hills-based insurer declined to specify the size of the rate changes or how many people will be affected. The company — which is the largest for-profit health insurer in California — blames the increases on rising health care costs. It says its prices may be adjusted more frequently than its typical annual increases.

Anthem's rates are under review by the state insurance department.

Looks like the "Double by 2020" estimation is coming a fuck lot sooner. I wonder if that means 800,000 more people supporting health care reform.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #7551 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:39 PM »
Para Sailin'  speaks @ 9PM tonight for the tea bagger suck-a-thon. Whats' the over under that she doesn't show up? :teehee

Can't wait to read the fact check tomorrow.
©ZH

Bebpo

« Reply #7552 on: February 07, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14341404?nclick_check=1

Anthem Blue Cross to hike California health premiums as much as 39 percent
LOS ANGELES — Anthem Blue Cross has told some customers it will raise their health insurance premiums as much as 39 percent beginning March 1.

The increases, reported today by the Los Angeles Times, involve as many as 800,000 customers who buy individual coverage. People with group coverage aren't affected.

In a statement, the Woodland Hills-based insurer declined to specify the size of the rate changes or how many people will be affected. The company — which is the largest for-profit health insurer in California — blames the increases on rising health care costs. It says its prices may be adjusted more frequently than its typical annual increases.

Anthem's rates are under review by the state insurance department.

Looks like the "Double by 2020" estimation is coming a fuck lot sooner. I wonder if that means 800,000 more people supporting health care reform.

I live in CA - check
I have anthem blue cross - check
I am on individual coverage - check

ffffffuuuuuu

I already spend like 10k a year on medical.  I wonder how many more thousand this is gonna raise that :\
Good thing I'm almost done with law school.  I need my BIG MONEY job soon so I don't die from Obama not getting the healthcare bill I need through.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #7553 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:08 AM »
Good thing I'm almost done with law school. 

Bebpo

« Reply #7554 on: February 07, 2010, 01:01:11 AM »
 :'(

At least when I just checked my insurance stuff, it's only going up by $12 a month with this raise.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7555 on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:09 AM »
Government health plan :rock

90k a year gross w/ overtime :rock

Socialism :rock
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:30:52 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Green Shinobi

« Reply #7556 on: February 07, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »
How is it possible for health costs to double by 2020? Where the fuck does the money go? How the fuck is the rest of the world so much better at this than we are?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #7557 on: February 07, 2010, 08:44:31 AM »
Government health plan :rock

90k a year gross w/ overtime :rock

Socialism :rock

wtf. 

There are doctors in the us who don't make this much  :'(

Green Shinobi

« Reply #7558 on: February 07, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
Couldn't the state insurance department refuse to allow the rate increase? 39% is pretty ridiculous. I can't see how they could even attempt to justify that.

Found this today:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-soda-tax7-2010feb07,0,282916.story

Beverage industry douses tax on soft drinks
The idea had been floated as a way to finance a healthcare overhaul while combating obesity. But the industry has lobbied key lawmakers and financed scientific studies favorable to its position.

Reporting from Washington - Employing a broad-based lobbying effort, the soft drink industry has smothered a plan to tax sugared beverages -- a plan advocates said would have reduced obesity and helped finance healthcare reform.

Only months ago, public health advocates thought the tax would be a natural for congressional Democrats looking for revenue to fund expanded health insurance coverage. The soaring costs of treating ailments related to excess weight -- including diabetes and heart disease -- added urgency to the issue.

Is there any good idea that lobbyists can't kill?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:33:07 AM by Green Shinobi »

M3wThr33

« Reply #7559 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »
Well, it IS under investigation, but like fuck they'll do anything. Hell, the Comcast/NBC merger and Ticketmaster/Livenation merger were approved and those contradict SOOO fucking much.

Also, check this:

HAI GUYZ. I can't remember the basic GOP tenants, so I wrote them down on my hands!
http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/07/sarah-palin-hand-cheat-notes-photo/2#comments
Typical GOP comments respond about Obama's teleprompter. (Yay for selective memory!)