Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866120 times)

Mandark

• Icon
I call it the "POLITICO-ization" of journalism.  Actually, I should probably call it the "Cheebsification" of political journalism.

Bingo.

It's always been a problem (see this old NYT profile of David Gergen), but it does seem to have ramped up recently.

Politico has figured out that they can get a consistent number of hits by sensationalizing their headlines, keeping a steady stream of easily digestible non-content content (lists!), and focusing on trivial and personal issues.  The result is a readership that feels like they're privileged insiders, like Manabyte with AICN.

The worst part is they're maybe the only group to figure out how to keep a revenue stream going from online political reporting.  They're getting rewarded for almost all the stuff I think is wrong with the business.

Oblivion

Oh, lawl. Palin was for death panels before she was against them:

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin -- who has gone to great lengths to hype the supposed dangers of a big government takeover of American health care -- admitted over the weekend that she used to get her treatment in Canada's single-payer system.

"We used to hustle over the border for health care we received in Canada," Palin said in her first Canadian appearance since stepping down as governor of Alaska. "And I think now, isn't that ironic?"

The irony, one guesses, is that Palin now views Canada's health care system as revolting: with its government-run administration and 'death-panel'-like rationing. Clearly, however, she and her family once found it more alluring than, at the very least, the coverage available in rural Alaska. Up to the age of six, Palin lived in a remote town near the closest Canadian city, Whitehorse.

Officials at several hospitals in that area declined to give out information on patient visits.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/08/palin-crossed-border-for_n_490080.html

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
For policy and some political commentary:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/

For politics/news/some policy:
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

For policy and a good laugh at Washington sports fans:
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
I bought Simmons' first book.  :-[
AMC

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Biden owned.

Israel Embarrasses Vice President Biden, Sparks Rebuke From U.S.

This appears to be the diplomatic equivalent of an ambush. Vice President Biden, on a visit to Israel, spent the day talking up the close relationship between Israel and the United States.

"Progress occurs in the Middle East when everyone knows there is simply no space between the United States and Israel," Biden said. "The United States will always stand with those who take risks for peace," Biden said, telling [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu, "you're prepared to do that."

Then Israel, playing not-quite gracious host, announced the construction of 1,600 new homes for Jews in the disputed territories of East Jerusalem, a move that kicks sand in the face of Obama Administration requests to stop such settlement expansion. The press pool following Biden reports that the Vice President showed up 90 minutes late for dinner with Netanyahu, and that reporters were wondering if he would show up at all.

In the briefing room, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said the timing of the announcement was not helpful. Biden, who has not taken questions from the press today, then put out his own statement:

I condemn the decision by the government of Israel to advance planning for new housing units in East Jerusalem. The substance and timing of the announcement, particularly with the launching of proximity talks, is precisely the kind of step that undermines the trust we need right now and runs counter to the constructive discussions that I've had here in Israel. We must build an atmosphere to support negotiations, not complicate them. This announcement underscores the need to get negotiations under way that can resolve all the outstanding issues of the conflict.

Netanyahu is sleazy as hell, I've thought that for years.  I remember back during 9/11, not two days after the attack, Netanyahu was on Fox News proclaiming this showed the savagery of Muslim extremists and the US had no choice but to launch attacks on Iran, Iraq, etc.

Read more: http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/03/09/israel-embarrasses-vice-president-biden-sparks-rebuke-from-u-s/?xid=rss-topstories-cnnpartner#ixzz0hjiwtixX
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Wow, Biden got hosed.
PSP

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Why do I imagine a cloaked Leiberman in the background rubbing his hands together and laughing?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Because you're an anti-Semite!
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
PS4

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
No, Biden and Lieberman have often sparred on matters over Isreal. Or rather, Lieberman and the entire Democratic party.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/22/opinion/democrats-vs-israel.html

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Netanyahu is sleaze, Lieberman is sleaze.
PS4

Mandark

• Icon
Where have you gone, Yitzhak Rabin?
« Reply #8052 on: March 09, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
They say Netanyahu lost his seat as prime minister the first time in large part because he wouldn't play nice with the Clinton administration, and the Israeli PM can't afford to be on the outs with the US.

That may have changed, though.  Israeli politics has moved enough to the right that all the major parties are where Likud was in the 90's, and there's more pressure inside the US for politicians to be "supportive" of Israel.

It's a depressing state of affairs.  Netanyahu basically wants to grind down the Palestinians until they don't aspire to independence anymore, and it seems like the bulk of Israeli public opinion is with him.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
As long as the Likudniks are running Israel, shit is just FUCKED over there.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I can't even have that discussion with my grandparents, who view every criticism of Israel as a crime on par with the Holocaust. I understand that they are just a generation removed from the genocide of much of their extended family, but I can't get behind the sentiment that such atrocities gives Israel carte blanche in terms of handling their neighbors.

I'm supportive of the state up to a point: I think Israel has the right to defend its citizens and that is almost unheard of to secede land that was definitively won (and occupied) during war. That said, you can't condemn the PLO and Hamas when you knowingly provoke such organizations. Disproportionate retaliation is equally unproductive.
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
There was a whole big internets brouhaha recently re: Andrew Sullivan supposedly being an anti-semite because he thought the Gaza war was shitty.  Even if you edited The New Republic for five years, criticizing Israel's policies is apparently tantamount to anti-semitism.  Good to know!
yar

Mandark

• Icon
As long as the Likudniks are running Israel, shit is just FUCKED over there.
That's the thing.  What we'd call "Likudnik" ten years ago is now the consensus opinion, including the center-left.

Plus internal US politics make it a lot harder to exert influence.  George Bush I was apparently unafraid to tell Israel what the deal was, but AIPAC et al have made huge inroads since then.

That Safire column TA posted is tragicomic.  He uses scare quotes for "disengaged" when disengagement was the Bush administration's explicit policy towards the Palestine issue.  If people miss the old guard of conservative commentators like him and Buckley, it's only because Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck are breaking all the theoretical limits to buffoonery.

Personally on Israel, I'd co-sign on to this:

Quote from: Robert Farley
I agree with Ackerman and Yglesias that defining "pro-Israel" on the basis of belief in a particular narrative of national foundation is ridiculous and absurd. In addition to being practically nonsensical, such a metric would serve to throw a blanket on genuine historical scholarship of Zionism, the development of the Jewish population within mandate Palestine, and the early Arab-Israeli wars. Although I count myself as a patriotic American, I have few illusions about the validity or accuracy of the mythical narrative of the founding of the United States.

At the same time, I find myself pretty comfortably within the "pro-two state, pro-Israel" faction. The case against the two state solution rests, as far as I can tell, on two arguments. The first is that the creation of Israel represents a historic crime against the Palestinian people, and that this crime should be rectified. The second is that a cosmopolitan, democratic single state covering the territory of Israel/Palestine is possible, and is both ideologically and practically preferable to the division of the area into two states.

Regarding the first argument, I can only say: Meh. The founding of Israel involved brutality, theft, appropriation of land, ethnic cleansing, and murder. It also involved heroism, selflessness, generosity, hard work, and sense of historic destiny. Furthermore, the narrative that developed within Israel regarding the founding emphasizes the second set of traits at the expense of the first. These two facts distinguish Israel from approximately zero nation-states in the international system. Statebuilding and consolidation is brutal, murderous work; every major modern nation-state has bloody hands, and every modern nation-state has developed a narrative that de-emphasizes the brutality of its founding. The historic crime of Israel's founding, such that it was, is different only in that it was more recent than the crimes associated with the development of Russia, Japan, France, the United States, and so forth. The crimes serve to "delegitimate" Israel only in the sense that such crimes delegitimate the project of the modern nation-state. There's some value to that, but there's little reason to make Israel the focus of such an effort.

Regarding the second, every democracy includes groups of people who are likely to disagree with each other about how the state should be constituted. I think it's fair to say, however, that some groups of people may, as a practical matter, have views regarding the nature of the body politic that are so divergent that there is little point in including them under the same state. I think that Israelis and Palestinians represent, collectively, an example of this; the institutions of a prospective Israeli-Palestinian state seem unlikely to me to function in a very democratic or effective manner. Another way to put this is that I trust neither Israelis nor Palestinians to live in a state with the other; I trust neither to sufficiently respect the rights of the other to make democratic life enjoyable, or even possible.

And so, in this sense, I'm strongly pro-Israel. I think that the achievement of a two-state solution is both possible (although perhaps not forever) and desireable, and that both the Israelis and the Palestinians will benefit from such a separation. Moreover, within this context, I strongly support policies that increase the security and prosperity of both states. I also strongly oppose policies that make the development of two states more difficult; Israeli settlement activity is among the most important of these policies, as is the quasi-eliminationist rhetorical stance adopted by Hamas. Such a settlement would, in some sense, validate the historic crime of Israel's founding, but for me that objection carries very little weight.

Phoenix Dark

I can't even have that discussion with my grandparents, who view every criticism of Israel as a crime on par with the Holocaust. I understand that they are just a generation removed from the genocide of much of their extended family, but I can't get behind the sentiment that such atrocities gives Israel carte blanche in terms of handling their neighbors.

Sort of like how my grandparents won't let anyone make negative comments about Michael Jackson

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
My Constituents Care Way More About Political Gamesmanship Than Jobs, Health Care, And The Economy
By House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH)
Trust me: If you talk to an unemployed, uninsured mother of two in Greenville, she'll tell you that jobs and reliable medical coverage come a distant second to the crafting of meticulous talking points that deftly omit the facts and reduce what should be honest discourse about our country's future to a series of contrived, easy-to-digest sound bites designed to sway crucial independent voters.
The Onion has just been killing it lately.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I saw this on gaf and had to  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

dirty poors don't create jobs :smug

Brehvolution

The top 10% are good at creating jobs..................................... in China. :smug
©ZH

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
raises taxes on the poor and middle class, cuts taxes for the rich, AND takes in a shitload less money.

even W. was better at spinning his bad ideas.  I mean, "Across the board tax cut" sounds good, doesn't it?  Fair and such.

Phoenix Dark

I find myself kinda wishing republicans controlled things just so people could see how ridiculous this is. but then I remember people got 16 years of it under Reagan n Bush, and apparently still don't "get it"

Oblivion

Reason #34335 why Alan Grayson is awesome:

Subject: Palin Attacks Grayson; Grayson Applies Calamine Lotion to the Resulting Reddish Skin

On Friday night, Sarah Palin came to Orlando, and attacked Rep. Alan Grayson. This is what she said:

"I got to meet quite a few candidates who are lining up in a contested primary who want to take out Alan Grayson. And I think Alan Grayson -- what can you say about Alan Grayson? Piper is with me tonight, so I won't say anything about Alan Grayson that can't be said around children. [Good one, Sarah!] But thank you, Florida, for allowing candidates in a contested primary to duke it out over ideas and principles and values, all with the same goal, and that is unseating those who have such a disconnect from the people of America. That's what the goal is here in this race against Alan Grayson. Please fight hard, and do this for the rest of the country. Fight hard, and send a conservative to Washington, DC."

Palin, the former half-term Governor, current-nothing and future-even-less, charmed the all-Republican audience with her folksy folksiness and her homespun homespunnery. Atypically, Palin was wearing clothes that she had paid for herself. At the end of the event, she shared her recipe for mooseface pie.
In response to Palin's attack on Rep Grayson, Grayson actually complimented Palin. Grayson praised Palin for having a hand large enough to fit Grayson's entire name on it. He thanked Palin for alleviating the growing shortage of platitudes in Central Florida.

Grayson added that Palin deserved credit for getting through the entire hour-long program without quitting. Grayson also said that Palin really had mastered Palin's imitation of Tina Fey imitating Palin. Grayson observed that Palin is the most-intelligent leader that the Republican Party has produced since George W. Bush.

When asked to comment about what effect Palin's criticism might have, Grayson pointed out, "As the Knave's horse says in Alice in Wonderland, 'dogs will believe anything.'" Earlier, as the Orlando Sentinel reported, Grayson said, "I'm sure Palin knows all about politics in Central Florida, since from her porch she can see Winter Park," which is part of Grayson's district.

Grayson said that the Alaskan chillbilly was welcome to return to Central Florida anytime, as long as she brings lots of money with her, and spends it. "I look forward to an honest debate with Governor Palin on the issues, in the unlikely event that she ever learns anything about them," Grayson added, alluding to Politifact's "liar, liar, pants on fire" evaluation of much of what Palin has said.

Scientists are studying Sarah Palin's travel between Alaska and Florida carefully. They hope to learn more about the flight patterns of that elusive migratory species, the wild Alaskan dingbat.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
 :lol That's hilarious, what is it from?
WDW

Brehvolution

©ZH

Brehvolution

Also:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/16/tea-party-protest-signs-r_n_500803.html
But if you see the signs today, you might end up missing the connection to the RNC entirely. That's because the RNC took the unusual step of covering up its involvement. David Weigel of the Washington Independent reports that a black sticker has been placed over the RNC's label at the bottom center of the signs. Apparently, this is a cunning enough stratagem to keep protesters from discovering the RNC's involvement.

Ice cold burn.
©ZH

Oblivion

Is...is that Plankton?

Phoenix Dark

don't you have kids? smh that's the dude from Monster's Inc  ::)

M3wThr33

It's Mike! Mike Wazowski!

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
and that's the wizards hat from Fantasia.

I know someone will make a Manabyte joke if I don't, but I can't think of anything clever at the moment.

Oblivion

:'(

In other news, only around 300 teabagggers showed up for the final Health Care protest before the bill gets passed. :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Even Kucinich has finally come around and said he's gonna vote for it.  I'm fucking shocked.

Best thing about this is in a month, six months, a year or whatever I'm going to call up all my conservatard friends and ask them how their lives have been ruined since Obamacare came into being.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
Glad that Kooch did the right thing.  It's one thing to vote against a liberal bill that's going to pass anyway as a way of protesting the flaws (S-CHIP, the Iraq withdrawal), and another to vote against a major piece of social legislation that's still up in the air.

I wish the reality of Obamacare would calm down the crazies, but that's what I figured would happen after he took office.  Turns out they just move on to the next outrage, real or (usually) imagined, and retcon the last one.  Impending government takeover of health insurance, and stay away from my Medicare etc.

Phoenix Dark

Immigration next baby!

Green Shinobi

I SMH so hard every time I read a religio-conservatard comment related to the healthcare debate along the lines of "weeping and praying for my country."

If I'm to understand it properly, they are praying that God will prevent health insurance from being made available to those who can't afford it or outright can't get it due to pre-existing conditions?

Sounds exactly like the shit Jesus was talking about in the Sermon on the Mount.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/steve-king-calls-for-revolution-in-the-streets-of-washington-to-stop-health-care-bill.php?ref=fpblg

"So this is just like Prague under communist rule?" the Huffington Post asked.

"Oh yeah, it is very, very close," King replied. "It is the nationalization of our liberty and the federal government taking our liberty over. So there are a lot of similarities there."

the nationalization of our liberty? 

what the fuck does that even mean?

one good buzzword tacked on to one bad buzzword

it's like watching management talk
Tonya

Brehvolution

I SMH so hard every time I read a religio-conservatard comment related to the healthcare debate along the lines of "weeping and praying for my country."

If I'm to understand it properly, they are praying that God will prevent health insurance from being made available to those who can't afford it or outright can't get it due to pre-existing conditions?

Sounds exactly like the shit Jesus was talking about in the Sermon on the Mount.
These people are just answering the call to defend their corporate lords. Thankfully, these morons are the minority.
©ZH

Tristam

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/steve-king-calls-for-revolution-in-the-streets-of-washington-to-stop-health-care-bill.php?ref=fpblg

"So this is just like Prague under communist rule?" the Huffington Post asked.

"Oh yeah, it is very, very close," King replied. "It is the nationalization of our liberty and the federal government taking our liberty over. So there are a lot of similarities there."

the nationalization of our liberty? 

what the fuck does that even mean?

one good buzzword tacked on to one bad buzzword

it's like watching management talk

:rofl :duh

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Or how Glenn Beck was mocking "social justice" on his show the other day.  Good times, good times.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
Greenwald's actually being pretty disingenuous throughout that column.

His writing on the health care bill has been way, way below the standards he's set writing about the federal government's detainment and torture policies.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Who the fuck insults nuns?

Congressman Bart Stupak, D-Mich, responded sharply to White House officials touting a letter representing 59,000nuns that was sent to lawmakers urging them to pass the health care bill.

The conservative Democrat dismissed the action by the White House saying, “When I’m drafting right to life language, I don’t call up the nuns.” He says he instead confers with other groups including “leading bishops, Focus on the Family, and The National Right to Life Committee.”
___

Brehvolution

Stolen but reconciliation draft is online and only 12 pages:

Here
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

nice cbo report. can't wait to see republicans change the issue all week, and the media play along

DEEM AND PASS
51 MAJORITY
gives 32 million people hc coverage, cuts deficit
PROCEDURAL TRICKERY

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Noted conservative lunatic Representative John Shadegg tied himself into knots yesterday on MSNBC trying to attack the health care bill- his premise was that it was all a big give away to the health insurance companies, and that they kept the public option from being in the bill.  David Schuster actually got him to say that he wanted Medicare for all, which is hilarious.
yar

Brehvolution

Until he had to vote for it. :smug
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Noted conservative lunatic Representative John Shadegg tied himself into knots yesterday on MSNBC trying to attack the health care bill- his premise was that it was all a big give away to the health insurance companies, and that they kept the public option from being in the bill.  David Schuster actually got him to say that he wanted Medicare for all, which is hilarious.

Hold on

"bill is a big givaway to insurers. At least we took the public option out!"

that makes no sense  :lol

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
John Shadegg said he wanted medicare for all?

Yeah right and I am miles davis. That dude is in the same kook brigade as blackburn and bachmann.
hex

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Judd Gregg was just on Andrea Mitchell Reports talking up a whole lot of bullshit. I really wish the Obama administration had locked him down. Oh well.

What a farce this whole process has been. I've become completely disenchanted with public office as a result, rapidly leaning towards the apathy my brother and many of his peers have for government.
PSP

Oblivion

Greenwald's actually being pretty disingenuous throughout that column.

His writing on the health care bill has been way, way below the standards he's set writing about the federal government's detainment and torture policies.

What's wrong with what he said?

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Hold on

"bill is a big givaway to insurers. At least we took the public option out!"

that makes no sense  :lol

No, at first he was all "the insurance companies WANTED the individual mandate and DIDN'T WANT the public option, look what's in the bill lolz" and Schuster rightly fired back with, "uh wait a minute didn't you guys just spend almost a year telling everyone that the public option was the devil and a govt. takeover of healthcare?  are you for it now?" and Shadegg from there managed to dig himself into supporting Medicare for all.  It was pretty awesome.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I like David Schuster, but his bias gets in the way of me fully endorsing him.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
He misrepresents the debate over reconciliation, acting like its current use for the patch bill validates those who wanted to use it for the whole hog.

That's not true.  Reconciliation is only available for certain types of legislation, and some of the core parts of the bill (community rating, pre-existing condition regulations, lifetime caps on OOP costs) would have been excluded.

They're not passing "the healthcare bill" through reconciliation.  They're passing a much smaller bill meant to substitute for the changes that would have been made in a conference committee if they hadn't lost the MA Senate seat.

Also, he completely glosses over the fact that adding a public option in the Senate would require bouncing the bill back to the House.  Right now one of the biggest obstacles is convincing members of the House that the Senate won't screw around with their bill, hence the demand for some kind of promise beforehand on the part of Senate Democrats.

More generally, he's been slamming the current bill as "corporatism" because the government will subsidize people buying private insurance.  At the same time, he opposes any cap on the tax exemption for health care benefits, which is essentially a subsidy for employers to buy private insurance.  Besides, it's weird that AHIP hasn't caught on that it's a big giveaway to their members and is fighting against the bill.

For Greenwald and the FDLers, it's identity politics now, not public policy.  They've repeated the DFH vs. VSP thing (which really did encapsulate the way DC newsmedia operates) until it's just cant, and nurtured their sense of grievance.

For them, the public option isn't about the impact it would have on actual people.  It's a symbol of their struggle.

Oblivion

Mandark, even if he's wrong about the actual procedure of reconciliation, his thesis on a number of Dems, including Obama himself, not wanting to actually support the PO, and just put on a show isn't too far off the mark, is it?

Here you go:

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/republican-congressman-i-would-support-single-payer.php

Pretty funny stuff.

Quote from: Shadegg's spokeswoman
Congressman Shadegg believes health insurance companies should have to compete for our business as individual consumers. Forcing them to compete, even through a public option, would be better than an individual mandate which will not work.

Wow, even after the interview he didn't backpedal? Wtf?

Maybe now that a douchebag republican supports a PO, Obama will try and fight for it again...

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Democrats: We want a public option!

Republicans: We won't vote for a bill with a public option! Socialists! Tyranny!

Democrats: Fine, we don't want a public option!

Republicans: We won't vote for a bill unless it has a public option! Corporatism! Freedom!

:duh
PSP

Phoenix Dark

I'm not convinced Obama ever supported the PO, or would have fought for it. While I agree with Mandark, the fact remains that senate leadership did say they had 50 votes for the PO, not 60. The public option would meet reconciliation requirements, and if democrats supported it, it could have passed with 50 votes. I just don't see democrats letting the entire bill burn just to appease the health care industry, if Obama/Reid had ensured a PO was in the reconciliation bill.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Reconciliation is so two weeks ago. Today, it's all about the DEEM AND PASS. More liberal book learnin' tricks and double talk!

I imagine it takes all of the Repubs' collective strength not to refer to them as Jews and shysters.
PSP