Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866130 times)

Mandark

• Icon
but this isn't quite the same as kidnapping random Muslims in the middle of the night and holding them in some secret prison where they do god know what to them just because a neighbor reported that they might, in fact, be dirty stinking terrorists.

What's the difference here?  That in one case the government says he's guilty and you're taking their word for it, but in the second case the government says he's guilty and you're not taking their word for it?

I would think the existence of evidence would make one seem like a reasonable course of action, while the other is basically up to the whims of the officials involved and word-of-mouth more than anything. I have to assume there's some evidence out there to support them putting this dude on a hit-list; if there's not then they have no reason to target him, and should be taken to task for it. I'm not saying I think the dude deserves to be killed, but rather if the evidence is out there which unquestionably paints him as a dangerous extremist who can do damage to his "fellow citizens", then snuffing him out isn't the worst thing in the world. It's a difference between one being a known criminal with influence and the ability to hurt us, while the other is arrested and, perhaps, tortured simply because one of his neighbors pointed a finger at him.

Draft

I would think the existence of evidence would make one seem like a reasonable course of action, while the other is basically up to the whims of the officials involved and word-of-mouth more than anything. I have to assume there's some evidence out there to support them putting this dude on a hit-list; if there's not then they have no reason to target him, and should be taken to task for it. I'm not saying I think the dude deserves to be killed, but rather if the evidence is out there which unquestionably paints him as a dangerous extremist who can do damage to his "fellow citizens", then snuffing him out isn't the worst thing in the world. It's a difference between one being a known criminal with influence and the ability to hurt us, while the other is arrested and, perhaps, tortured simply because one of his neighbors pointed a finger at him.
There's no rational argument for the Executive branch having carte blance to murder US citizens.

Even if the dude is a known criminal organizing and participating in attacks on "his own country"? Again I'm just basing this off accusations and what have you, but if they are indeed true then I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing something to stop people like him. It's not like this is one step away from them being able to murder your grandmother because she's wasting too many tax dollars or something.

Draft

Even if the dude is a known criminal organizing and participating in attacks on "his own country"? Again I'm just basing this off accusations and what have you, but if they are indeed true then I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing something to stop people like him. It's not like this is one step away from them being able to murder your grandmother because she's wasting too many tax dollars or something.
Even if. We don't do summary executions for known criminals, we put them on trial.

The system is not perfect, but it's like one of the fundamental parts of living in a free country.

And it's worse than one step away, it IS. Just because the President is only assassinating really, really bad people now doesn't mean that will always be the case.

Everyone's got to have the same protection under the law, or else the system is completely useless.

Mupepe

• Icon
I think the way of stopping him from these is attacks is arresting him, right?  I mean, if there is sufficient evidence to kill him, then shouldn't there be sufficient evidence to put him on trial and convict him?

Draft

I think the way of stopping him from these is attacks is arresting him, right?  I mean, if there is sufficient evidence to kill him, then shouldn't there be sufficient evidence to put him on trial and convict him?
No doubt. But this particular guy is hiding in Sudan or some other God awful hell hole, even if we knew where he was it would be a royal pain to capture him, and there can be no trial in his absence. So it's either let him be or launch a costly, dangerous ground mission to capture him.

Or, we could just give the President authority to drop predator missiles on anyone he deems a national threat.

Would it be possible to revoke his citizenship, then? I admit I'm not too clear on the details surrounding this, but after scanning both articles I really don't see anything to get up in arms about. Yes, it might be unconstitutional, and yes I agree the guy deserves a trial; have they tried any real course of action previously and failed?

So if the dude is uncooperative and would likely put innocent lives at risk before willingly submitting to a trial, you still think he deserves to just run free to plot against the US rather than, on the off chance anyone manages to track him down or get close enough to deliver a killshot, putting him down and perhaps saving countless lives?

I dunno, I'm typically a bleeding heart liberal but it's hard for me to shed a tear over the loss of a radical extremist who wants to kill me. And I still don't think this is just the tip of some huge, shady as fuck iceburg like you're letting on. It's a last ditch effort to put a miserable piece of shit out of his misery.

Draft

Would it be possible to revoke his citizenship, then? I admit I'm not too clear on the details surrounding this, but after scanning both articles I really don't see anything to get up in arms about. Yes, it might be unconstitutional, and yes I agree the guy deserves a trial; have they tried any real course of action previously and failed?
The realest course of action: this dude is ON the hit list. This isn't a theoretical hit list. It's a real hit list. Presumably, if we do figure out where he is one of these days there will be tactical course of action streaking towards him pretty quickly.

What I'm asking is have they made it known that they were after him and wanted to put him on trial previously, and did he, knowing this, still willingly evade capture, hide out "in the Sudan or some other hellhole", and still participate in actions against the US? If so, then my point stands. Dude is clearly not going to go willingly. If not, then that is indeed a pretty serious breach of protocol.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
McDonnell Apologizes For Proclamation, Adds Slavery Clause
http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/mcdonnell-apologizes-for-proclamation-adds-slavery-clause.php?ref=fpblg

What genius thought this was a good idea

Confederate History Month :bow

I'm gonna get all my white friends together and talk about how much better life was when we didn't have to do anything for ourselves.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Make sure you're drinking a mint julep as you do it, otherwise it doesn't count.
yar

Phoenix Dark

it was all about tariffs tho breh

How is it possible to celebrate being a Confederate while playing the "but seriously guys, slavery sucks" card? There's a difference between having pride in your region and flying the flag of an army that was literally fighting to be able to keep black people as pets.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
bu bu bu think of all the good things nazis did
PSP

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
one of my crowning achievements was getting someone to agree that nazis had pretty great social programs for minorities in front of his asian girlfriend
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
i lead a very small life
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

bu bu bu think of all the good things nazis did

Next time I take an archeology class perhaps I should propose Schutzstaffel Month, in recognition of the SS' contributions to the study

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Why do we even need a national confederacy month in the south? Should we have a national Tories month for the americans who sided with the british during the revolution?

Phoenix Dark

how come when blacks have a history month that's ok but when confederates have a history month it's "racist." double standards like this continue to discriminate

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
what I don't get is that the confederacy was of course an unconstitutional secessionist movement from 150 years ago.  we don't normally have months for those.

At least with black, latino, lgbt, jew, and women history months you probably have friends or family in those groups who were discriminated against.  I mean it'd be more sensible for Germany to have a Nazi history month.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
In 100 years we will celebrate Tea Party month in the bombed-out remains of post-nuclear-holocaust America.
PS4

Human Snorenado

• Icon
In 100 years we will celebrate Tea Party month in the bombed-out remains of post-nuclear-holocaust America.

In a hundred years our descendants will be watching "Ow My Balls" while drinking Brawndo, quit kidding yourself.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This statement brought to you by Carl's Jr.
[close]
yar

Cheebs

how come when blacks have a history month that's ok but when confederates have a history month it's "racist." double standards like this continue to discriminate
Celebrating a race that has had a lot of hardship over American history is a little different than celebrating an illegal unconstitutional secessionist movement one would imagine.

Why not have northern states create a national union month to celebrate the joy of being part of the union and sticking loyal to the federal government? Seems less silly seeing how they are the ones who won after all.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
I want to go for the jugular and have a Sherman's March Appreciation Month.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
There should be a Confederate History Month, but it should be one month a year where people from any non-Confederate state is allowed to come in and randomly start kicking anyone while ironically giving the rebel yell.
___

Phoenix Dark

Celebrating a race that has had a lot of hardship over American history is a little different than celebrating an illegal unconstitutional secessionist movement one would imagine.

Why not have northern states create a national union month to celebrate the joy of being part of the union and sticking loyal to the federal government? Seems less silly seeing how they are the ones who won after all.

It's hypocrites like you that ensure MLK's dream will never come true :punch

Mandark

• Icon
Even if the dude is a known criminal organizing and participating in attacks on "his own country"? Again I'm just basing this off accusations and what have you, but if they are indeed true then I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing something to stop people like him.

Trials are how we determine whether someone has committed a crime or not.  That's the entire point.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Even if the dude is a known criminal organizing and participating in attacks on "his own country"? Again I'm just basing this off accusations and what have you, but if they are indeed true then I see no reason why we shouldn't be doing something to stop people like him.

Trials are how we determine whether someone has committed a crime or not.  That's the entire point.

You and your filthy "laws" and "trials."
PS4

Phoenix Dark

DAMMIT MANDARK THERE'S NO TIME

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Creator of white-only basketball league defends himself:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-march-29-2010/snowball

He's not a racist, he just wants white players more than skilled ones.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I want to go for the jugular and have a Sherman's March Appreciation Month.

My favorite general of all time.  Has the added benefit of creeping JayDubya out.

:bow William Tecumseh Sherman :bow2
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I just loved how his army actually grew in size as it went through the South.

Phoenix Dark

I can't fucking wait. I hope we still have Juggalos.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Are you shitting me?  By that point we will have changed "congressman" to "juggalo" for sure.  "If I may rise in courteous disagreement with the distinguished Juggalo from the Colorado sixth..."
yar

Bring It On :bow

Cheebs

The verision of the treaty to reduce our nuke stockpile by 1/3rd and such Obama is signing is much longer than the one the Ruskies are signing.  :o

Conspiracy?  :ussrcry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Seriously though this treaty is awesome. The senate better not fuck it up and let it go through.
[close]

« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:35:13 PM by Cheebs »

Obama is actually autographing a copy of Dirty Game, a 500 page screenplay he wrote about a no-bullshit, tough as nails sexy new president-elect fighting a corrupt system and bringing the sexy back to Washington :bow

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
___

Cheebs

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
All I can see is that repeated shot of the hot girl shaking her ass around. :drool

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
(Image removed from quote.)

The two "comrades" look to be as thick as thieves together.

That Maddow video highlights everything wrong with Fox News. Nice to still see people like Willco treating them like valid sources, though. :spin
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:55:18 PM by The Dark Shake 3000 »

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Oh, Shake. :lol
PSP

I had to clear my browser history after following that link. :'(

Oblivion

Never knew Obama is left-handed :o :o :o

What do you expect from a far left radical? :smug

My roommate actually made this argument yesterday when we were watching Anderson Cooper.  :'(

Also,

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/where-are-the-black-tea-partiers-theyre-here-hated-and-trashed-by-liberals-90088802.html

"Some of my best friends are black teabaggers." :smug
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 05:01:12 PM by Oblivion »

Phoenix Dark

I find that when an organization/group/etc has to tell you how diverse they are amidst criticism, they're probably not diverse.

Eric P

• Icon
oh i dun know

they are DI VERSE ORGANIZATION I HAFF HEARD OV
Tonya

Ichi, where did you get this? It is amazing

:lol :lol :lol

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Cue the next 3 months of republicans talking about strict constitutionalists.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Sarah Palin's speech today made me gag. :-X
PSP

Cheebs

Sarah Palin's speech today made me gag. :-X
Are you still a registered Republican?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I am. :D

I am still hoping that Meghan McCain and I have beautiful children that will form some kind of dynasty of fiscally conservative politicians that are not religiously-motivated and for individual rights.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 05:15:17 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Yeah, might as well give that one up.  As long as the South is the backbone of Republican support, the party is gonna be dominated by The Crazy.
yar

Eric P

• Icon
i too am a registered republican

i can't wait to primary
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Eric P and I are going to wreck some shit. Suck it, Palinites! :punch
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
i too am a registered republican

i can't wait to primary

Pfft, you don't count.  You just did it to be ironic, hipster.  :wag

Also, I'm thinking about voting in the Republican primary coming up here so I can vote for the craziest candidate in each race.  That's the best way to sink these idiots quicker.
yar

Eric P

• Icon
that's fraud, mr acorn!
Tonya