Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866182 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
duc

Phoenix Dark

mods, add plz

It's from opa ages

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
i forgive opa-ages its years of blithering uselessness JUST because that gif is so awesome
duc

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
(Image removed from quote.)

hooooly shit, that is fucked up :rofl

Are there any other good ones from OA we can steal?  I remember there was a cartoon hippo LOL that was hilarious.
PS4

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
(CNN) -- North Korea announced Tuesday a freeze in relations with South Korea and threatened military retaliation in response to alleged intrusions into its waters by the South Korean navy.

North Korea's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea said it would "abrogate the agreement on non-aggression" amid heightened tensions on the divided peninsular over the sinking of a South Korean warship earlier this year.

An official South Korean report accused the Communist North of firing a torpedo at the ship, killing 46 sailors.

A North Korean military official accused the South of intruding into North Korean waters in the Yellow Sea from May 14 to 24, the Yonhap news agency reported.

"This is a deliberate provocation aimed to spark off another military conflict in the West Sea of Korea and thus push to a war phase the present north-south relations," the official said in a statement, according to Yonhap.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged North Korea Monday to reveal what it knows about the "act of aggression" that sunk a South Korean warship.

She also said the United States' "support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal" and that North Korea should "stop its belligerence and threatening behavior."

South Korea has said a probe concluded the North fired a torpedo that sunk a South Korean military ship in March. The United States supports that finding, Clinton said while in China.

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak announced Monday that his country was suspending trade with North Korea, closing its waters to the North's ships and adopting a newly-aggressive military posture toward its neighbor.

"We endorse President Lee's call on North Korea to come forward with the facts regarding this act of aggression and, above all, stop its belligerence and threatening behavior," Clinton said.

U.S. President Barack Obama has directed military commanders to work with South Korean troops "to ensure readiness and to deter future aggression" from North Korea.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/05/25/n.korea.threats/index.html?hpt=T1

:fbm
dog

Phoenix Dark

So when we get drafted, which EB icon do you want in your platoon?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Himuro. His brightly-colored cravat will draw enemy fire away from everyone else.
dog

Phoenix Dark

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Himuro. His brightly-colored cravat will draw enemy fire away from everyone else.

I've goot to saaave Bubba!
         /
:himu

Oblivion

Okay, something seems wrong here.

CBO Estimates Stimulus has put up to 2.8 million to work in first quarter.

Back in February, the CBO said the Stimulus created 2.1 million jobs in the last quarter of 2009.

So with this new report, between the 4th quarter of 2009 and the first quarter 2010, the stimulus created between 3.3 million and 4.9 million jobs, which in turn would mean Herr Obama created more jobs in 6 months than Bush did in 8 years? Am I reading that right? That's almost too good to be true. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Phoenix Dark

Okay, something seems wrong here.

CBO Estimates Stimulus has put up to 2.8 million to work in first quarter.

Back in February, the CBO said the Stimulus created 2.1 million jobs in the last quarter of 2009.

So with this new report, between the 4th quarter of 2009 and the first quarter 2010, the stimulus created between 3.3 million and 4.9 million jobs, which in turn would mean Herr Obama created more jobs in 6 months than Bush did in 8 years? Am I reading that right? That's almost too good to be true. I'm sure I'm missing something.

For those that didn't see:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21487717&postcount=23710

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
oops
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 10:55:25 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Himu

[youtube=560,345]qasbSquSW54[/youtube]
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Kinda wish I lived in Arkansas so I could vote against Blanche Lincoln tomorrow

archie4208

[youtube=560,345]9zJ04AWn-5w[/youtube]

I need to rant about this yellow journalism.  He is pretending that one case of a crooked crew leader is representative Census Bureau.  He also conveniently forgets that travel time is included in your total hours.  I'm almost done with my Census job and we have to put up with alot of crap with the bureaucratic process and insane people who hate our guts and refuse to cooperate.  I have made a bunch of honest mistakes with my job, but I've never willingly committed fraud.  :maf

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Isn't that the guy that tried to wiretap that one politician's office and almost went to jail? :lol
PSP

Phoenix Dark

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
PSP

Brehvolution

©ZH

Akala

• Easy Victor
it's actually kinda genius. there is some mastermind who realizes that realigning the past of 'drill baby drill' is key to her hopes down the road. imagine the campaign commercials without it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
however, this whole hiatus on drilling sucks /selfinterest
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
Arizona Mural Sparks Racial Debate

A group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school.

The project's leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children's ethnicity. But the school's principal says the request was only to fix shading and had nothing to do with political pressure.

The "Go on Green" mural, which covers two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School, was designed to advertise a campaign for environmentally friendly transportation. It features portraits of four children, with a Hispanic boy as the dominant figure.

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott's Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town's most prominent intersections.

"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

Wall said school Principal Jeff Lane pressed him to make the children's faces appear happier and brighter.

"It is being lightened because of the controversy," Wall said, adding that "they want it to look like the children are coming into light."

Lane said that he received only three complaints about the mural and that his request for a touch-up had nothing to do with political pressure. "We asked them to fix the shading on the children's faces," he said. "We were looking at it from an artistic view. Nothing at all to do with race."

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Blair could not be reached for comment Thursday. In audio archives of his radio show, Blair discusses the mural. He insists the controversy isn't about racism but says the mural is intended to create racial controversy where none existed before.

"Personally, I think it's pathetic," he says. "You have changed the ambience of that building to excite some kind of diversity power struggle that doesn't exist in Prescott, Arizona. And I'm ashamed of that."

Faces in the mural were drawn from photographs of children enrolled at Miller Valley, a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project, the fourth in a series of community murals painted by a group of artists known as the "Mural Mice."

The public art, funded by a $5,000 state grant through the Prescott Alternative Transportation Center, was selected by school students and faculty.

"The parents and children love it," Lane said.

I bolded that bit because it's got two classic tropes of the genre:

1)  The bigot misidentifies an ethnicity.  Unless they're a throwback, hardcore bigot who buys antique books on phrenology off of ebay, the modern racist is basically angry at a vague encroaching swarthiness and the snooty limousine liberals who are shoving multiculturalism down his throat.

2)  The bigot attempts rhetorical judo.  "I'm not rejecting them, they're rejecting us!"  Hence the nonsense about starting a "power struggle" through "ambience".  See the Michelle Obama whitey tape, the Cruz Bustamante MEChA stuff, the entire Barack Obama conspiracy ouevre, ACORN, ethnic history months as "guilt trips", etc.  It's a lot easier to believe that someone else hates you and you're just reacting to it than to confront your own ugly biases.

Link stolen shamelessly from Prole.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
re, point 2: let's not forget the snowbilly's claim that environmentalists are responsible for deepwater horizon on account of them making it tough to drill in "safe" areas
duc

Phoenix Dark

I've been sitting here trying to come up with a non-rambling 2a point in relation to how conservatives attempt to frame any civil rights/multiculturalism issue as invasive liberal politics, adding partisan controversy to issues you'd think we could all agree on. Multiculturalism goes from being a good, American/melting pot thing to a liberal conspiracy to make whites feel guilty or left out. Disdain for celebrations of diversity are often hid underneath complaints about "political correctness" and/or the double standards that allegedly limit white people from being on a level playing field with minorities ("how come black pride is ok but white pride isn't; how come black magazines are ok, but if I made a white magazine it would be racist; etc").

Whenever a prominent white personality is caught saying the n word, Fox News wonders why it's ok for black people to say the word, and why black leaders aren't working hard enough to stop the free market it.

edit: oh look
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/06/so_carolina_totally_loses_its_mind.php?ref=fpblg
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 04:10:12 AM by Phoenix Dark »

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Asked to clarify, he said he did not mean the United States was at war with India, but was at war with "foreign countries."
If I had the energy and know-how to make a gif of Riley busting out laughing on the last episode of Boondocks, I would post it here.

Phoenix Dark

It's amazing how much shit is being thrown at Haley. Holy shit

This fits perfectly in with the race conversation though, with a little religion added in the mix ha
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 05:11:20 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
I've been sitting here trying to come up with a non-rambling 2a point in relation to how conservatives attempt to frame any civil rights/multiculturalism issue as invasive liberal politics, adding partisan controversy to issues you'd think we could all agree on. Multiculturalism goes from being a good, American/melting pot thing to a liberal conspiracy to make whites feel guilty or left out. Disdain for celebrations of diversity are often hid underneath complaints about "political correctness" and/or the double standards that allegedly limit white people from being on a level playing field with minorities ("how come black pride is ok but white pride isn't; how come black magazines are ok, but if I made a white magazine it would be racist; etc").

Whenever a prominent white personality is caught saying the n word, Fox News wonders why it's ok for black people to say the word, and why black leaders aren't working hard enough to stop the free market it.

edit: oh look
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/06/so_carolina_totally_loses_its_mind.php?ref=fpblg

sounds like someone is experiencing black privilege.

Tonya

Brehvolution

It's amazing how much shit is being thrown at Haley. Holy shit

This fits perfectly in with the race conversation though, with a little religion added in the mix ha
I'm not particularly surprised. She's a white woman. That is only a small step up from being black in these people's minds.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

A somewhat attractive white woman too.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I guess it fits here:

[youtube=560,345]X0EeXTG4mWw
[/youtube]
Documentary of a family escaping from North Korea.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-mike-honda/americas-longest-war-leav_b_602125.html

So when are we gonna pull our heads out of our asses and leave.

Brehvolution

When the pipeline is complete. :shh

:hans1
[close]
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

With tomorrow's Nevada primary coming up, it's worth looking back on the many gaffes and errors of former state GOP chair Sue Lowden, whose once-mighty Senate campaign has fallen behind Tea Party favorite Sharron Angle. Simply put, the chickens have come home to roost for what may be one of the worst-run Senate primary campaigns of this cycle.

Lowden shot to national fame in April, when she was caught on tape telling people to barter with their doctors in order to lower health care costs. Her other policy prescription for people grappling with expensive health care: "And if you want to save $20,000, good for you. Save it pre-tax."

So let's look at the toll that all of this helped to take on Lowden. Two months ago, Mason-Dixon had her leading the GOP primary field with 45%, followed by ex-UNLV basketball player Danny Tarkanian with 27%, and Angle at 5%. A month ago, she was down to 30%, with Angle at 25% and Tarkanian with 22%. And now the latest poll has Angle with 32%, Tarkanian at 24%, and Lowden with 23%.
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/06/totally-plucked-what-happened-to-sue-lowdens-once-formidable-campaign.php?ref=fpa

Faith in this country +1

Brehvolution

What the fuck am I gonna do with all these chickens now?  :maf
©ZH

archie4208

I have to spend about $3000 (hopefully less) to get a root canal on one of my teeth since I'm uninsured.  Thanks again, capitalism!  :american

Oblivion

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I WANT THE PRESIDENT TO SHOW MORE EMOTION

/Obama shows more emotion

ARE THE PRESIDENTS' EMOTIONS A LIABILITY?!
PSP

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
It's like that femal politicians.
First it's like, 'She's a robot where is her feminity?' then it's like, 'Typical woman, can't keep their emotions in check'.

Phoenix Dark

Blanche Lincoln won her primary. I'm gonna be sick

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Blanche Lincoln won her primary. I'm gonna be sick

I'm not sure why. Liberals always make me chuckle when they root for progressives down South.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Halter wasn't even really progressive, he never explicitly came out for the public option, just a lot of criticism of Lincoln.  He knew he'd have to tack back to the center/right in order to win the general if he won the nomination.

Oh well, +1 Senate seat for the Republicans this fall.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
remember when bush was going to bounce cheney and select guiliani in 04?
Tonya

Brehvolution

lol fox
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

Holy shit @ this lady

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/10/texas.border.patrol.shooting/?hpt=T2

This is the best they could do for PR? Wow.

Robo

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/10/strange-twist-in-senate-race/

How the hell does this happen?  Alvin Greene -- unemployed, lives with his parents, has a felony obscenity charge against his name, and hardly campaigned at all -- wins the SC democratic primary with 59% of the vote.  And apparently he's now being accused by folks of being a Republican plant.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:52:45 PM by RoboJ »
obo

Brehvolution

Looks like are friends in the GOP want it so the dirty poors can't strategically default on their mortgage.

When Democrats were pushing to enact "cram down," which would allow judges to rewrite mortgage contracts in bankruptcy court, conservative Democrats and the GOP argued that it would violate the "sanctity of the contract."

There is only sanctity, however, for one side of that contract. "It also disgusts me that the Republicans would use Big Government to interfere with the sanctity of contract," said Baker in an e-mail. "Those who do a strategic default are complying with their contract. The deal was that the banks get back the house if the homeowner doesn't pay the mortgage. Now, the Republicans are arguing that the nanny state has to look out for the little boys and girls at the big banks who are too dumb to understand contracts. They are going to use the power of the government to punish people because they acted on the terms of the contract to the disadvantage of the banks."

Of course there is nothing there saying anything about businesses who do the exact same thing.
©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/jun/10/strange-twist-in-senate-race/
How the hell does this happen?  Alvin Greene -- unemployed, lives with his parents, has a felony obscenity charge against his name, and hardly campaigned at all -- wins the SC democratic primary with 59% of the vote.  And apparently he's now being accused by folks of being a Republican plant.  :lol
I heard them talking about him on the radio yesterday and one theory is that he won because he was the first name on the democratic ballot.

It makes sense though that a well educated left-leaning voter in SC would be registered as republican so that they could get the most moderate republican candidate in the primaries.  Maybe general election doesn't even matter in that state.

Here in cali, I actually wanted to register as a republican so that I could torpedo the primaries but Meg Whitman got nominated anyways.  I can't believe she spent $80 bucks on every vote.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
WHY ISN'T THE PRESIDENT ANGRY ENOUGH (BY OUR ARBITRARY STANDARDS, BY THE WAY) ABOUT THIS OIL SPILL?  WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS, SPOCK?

*Obama vows to "kick ass" over oil spill*

WHOA WHOA WHOA... SLOW DOWN THERE ANGRY SOCIALIST NEGRO!

The press is probably the most useless part of the whole system by this point.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Sure the cursing seemed so forced, but the media's reaction to it was just pathetic. No wonder Obama never wants to talk to those distinguished mentally-challenged fellows

Phoenix Dark

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/06/olbermann_interviews_alvin_greene.php#more?ref=fpblg

holy fuck :rofl

It's like Himu decided his new hobby would be running for senate

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Sure the cursing seemed so forced

it wasn't forced, it was echoing the question where Matt Lauer said people wanted him to go in and "kick some butt" which Obama laughed at, it's not like it was some pre-planned talking point.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:07:59 AM by Mamacint »
___

Phoenix Dark

Oh shit, in that case I'm a victim of deceptive editing by the media  :'(

Robo

obo

Mandark

• Icon
WHY ISN'T THE PRESIDENT ANGRY ENOUGH (BY OUR ARBITRARY STANDARDS, BY THE WAY) ABOUT THIS OIL SPILL?  WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS, SPOCK?

*Obama vows to "kick ass" over oil spill*

WHOA WHOA WHOA... SLOW DOWN THERE ANGRY SOCIALIST NEGRO!

The press is probably the most useless part of the whole system by this point.

Howard Kurtz shows you can't win for losing.

Pretty much sums up what's wrong with the news media, especially the cable stuff.  It's not ideology, it's speciousness.  Everything is always narrative, personalities, conflicts, winners and losers.

This is the most inane kind, too.  "Do people feel that Obama's connecting with them emotionally?" is a question that -- even if you considered it important -- shouldn't be answered by analysts on the news, because the viewers know for themselves, one way or the other.  They ARE the people.  Talking Heads Explain To You How You Feel About Things is the worst thing in news since user-generated content.

I know that news junkies consider themselves informed enough that they think of themselves as separate from The Public, so these reports are like anthropological documents explaining how the plebes are reacting, but that's a terribly smug and self-flattering attitude.  Note to Hardball viewers:  You are not Karl Rove.  You are not even Mark Penn.
[close]

AdmiralViscen

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.