Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866118 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
My main beef with Obama is that he has done nearly everything poorly almost to where if I were to don a tinfoil hat, I'd suggest he was sabotaging his own initiatives so heavily watered down legislation was the only thing that was produced.
That or complete retardican obstruction.
©ZH

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Re: Shorter last page of this thread: whine whine whine wank wank wank
« Reply #9721 on: July 14, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »

Besides which, Gore probably would have invaded Iraq too.
Explain this please. Gore was adamantly against the Iraq War since day one back before most Democrats came out against it.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9722 on: July 14, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »

Explain this please. Gore was adamantly against the Iraq War since day one back before most Democrats came out against it.

He also had the luxury of not being an elected official and needing to curry favor with PACs and wealthy assholes, you fucking halfwit.
yar

Beardo

My main beef with Obama is that he has done nearly everything poorly almost to where if I were to don a tinfoil hat, I'd suggest he was sabotaging his own initiatives so heavily watered down legislation was the only thing that was produced.

Have you forgotten who controls congress? Healthcare could have been passed Day 1 if it wasn't for democrats holding out.

Cheebs

« Reply #9724 on: July 14, 2010, 10:41:28 AM »

He also had the luxury of not being an elected official and needing to curry favor with PACs and wealthy assholes, you fucking halfwit.
Then why didn't Bill Clinton invade Iraq? And why did George H.W. Bush push back against those in his administration who wanted to invade?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 10:48:21 AM by Cheebs »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
because 9/11 changed everything
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
You keep forgetting that Clinton DID bomb the shit out of Iraq a couple times.  If something like 9/11 had happened on his watch, he probably would have ended up there too.  Shit was inevitable, just like bad romantic comedies continuing to do big box office because women are distinguished mentally-challenged fellows. 
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.

Have you forgotten who controls congress? Healthcare could have been passed Day 1 if it wasn't for democrats holding out.
How many republican bills needed 60 republican votes to pass?

Also, can you name one positive thing the republicans have done for Americans(the other 99%) in the past 50 years?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:14:37 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Oblivion

How many republican bills needed 60 republican votes to pass?

Also, can you name one positive thing the republicans have done for Americans(the other 99%) in the past 50 years?

Eh...though I'm not a Republican, many pre-dubya Republican presidents weren't as uniformly terrible in almost every area as Bush. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Richard Nixon created the EPA.  Dubya created the "do not call" list for telemarketers.  Other than that, it's been pretty terrible.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9730 on: July 14, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »

Which is similar to why I'll always believe Obama would have voted either for the war in Iraq, or "present" if he was actually a senator at the time.

T-Short

• hooker strangler

I find this whole "mosque at ground zero" discussion amazing, the old Frankie Boyle joke is becoming a reality and noone realises how brilliant the idea is!
地平線

Phoenix Dark

Second sign lol. I guess we're only to compare ourselves to the standards of godless turrists when it benefits our political agenda

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I spoke about this with my super person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation grandfolks over the weekend, and they stopped just short of siding with the bigots on this issue. It was totally discouraging. Talking about recent Israeli gaffes and my growing disdain for the President escalated into a full-on shouting match. If there's ever a time I feel pretty conservative, it's after visiting old, Jewish relatives.
PSP

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
I find this whole "mosque at ground zero" discussion amazing, the old Frankie Boyle joke is becoming a reality and noone realises how brilliant the idea is!

what's the joke?

Tonya

Cheebs

Comparing the WTC site to Mecca? lol. I didn't realize the WTC was a christian iconic site of worship.

T-Short

• hooker strangler

what's the joke?

hm. tried to find it on youtube, no luck. it's this:

http://www.capitaltrachea.se/misc/boyled.mp3
地平線

Brehvolution

I didn't realize the WTC was a christian iconic site of worship.
It's the pinnacle of supply side Jesus.
©ZH

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
from tpm:

On a serious note, I wanted to draw your attention to the news today about Dick Cheney's latest heart setback. The reports have, on their face, been fairly upbeat, with Cheney himself issuing a statement about the surgery he had last week to implant a pump to help his heart overcome his congestive heart failure. The surgery was a success, Cheney is resting comfortably, etc.

But reading between the lines, you're left with the distinct impression that Cheney, 69, is entering the late stages of congestive heart failure, that his prognosis is not very good, and that the available treatment options are very limited. That's my lay person rendering after a close read of this afternoon's reports. Here's a more informed read from TPM Reader JK:

I'm a surgeon and just read your wire story about Dick Cheney getting a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD) placed. The story downplays the seriousness of that procedures...once you've got an LVAD in place, it means your heart is essentially incapable of working on its own and has no potential to improve. While LVAD outcomes have been improving, and some patients live months or even years with one of these devices in place, this is a HUGE operation with MAJOR associated morbidity and mortality. If he's not listed for a heart transplant, his days are seriously numbered. Life on an LVAD isn't something I'd wish on my worst enemy...an axiom that this situation really tests. He's in for a rough time.We've known for a long time that Cheney is suffering from serious heart disease. He has known his fate and been upfront about it. But it does appear that things have entered a new and more serious stage, even if he and everyone else knew it would come eventually.
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/07/grim.php#more

what a shame
pcp

Brehvolution

©ZH

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Richard Nixon created the EPA.  Dubya created the "do not call" list for telemarketers.  Other than that, it's been pretty terrible.
Wasn't the EPA pretty much only made because of DDT paranoia?  IIRC, the EPA head was actually from the Audubon society and wasn't even a scientist.  There were seven months of testimony on the possible danger of DDT after which the trial judge ruled that DDT posed no threat humans or wildlife, and the the head of the EPA, who hadn't attended a day of the hearings or even read the transcript, overturned his decision and ruled that DDT was carcinogenic and that it had to be pretty much entirely banned.

At least originally, it seems like the EPA was an entirely political and bullshit entity.  It might be a lot more scientific and transparent today though, but I see no reason to praise Nixon for creating it.  I can believe that Nixon created it only for the PR bonus and not because he had any respect for science or the environment.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
CNN has been reduced to putting up hatespeech with no counterpoint in its attempt to be fair and balanced.

http://on.cnn.com/9yh8Ty

Even the headline is kind of creepy, but that could be forgiven if the article had the balls to say "hey, it ISN'T a dishonor to the dead to have a Muslim near the site"

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
It's not even a mosque they're building. Why does everyone keep calling it a mosque? It's like a 13-story community center, with a mosque inside it.
PSP

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Nothing honors the dead like a discount clothing store. I will not stand for it being replaced.

Phoenix Dark

1. it's not being built on Ground Zero
2. what country do conservatives think they live in? the mosque property was legally purchased/zoned/etc, it's their right to put it there
3. one of the most popular conservative arguments against Muslims/blacks/brown people/etc revolves around them not denouncing the fringe groups, whether they be black panthers or terrorists. Yet here we have muslims denouncing terrorism, opening a very visible center for all to see, and integrating into the culture yet it's a problem apparently.

And if/when some conservative fucktard bombs the place I wonder how long it will take before conservatives/Fox News wonders whether the moslems brought it on themselves. I can just imagine Gretchen Wilson saying "what's the term Ron Paul used about 911? I don't think it applies for 911 that's disgusting, but in this case I think it's fair to ask right?"

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
What's the best way to protest a community center with Muslim-faith prayer services? Why, build a mega church right next to it! :lol

In response to a proposed mosque blocks from ground zero, controversial televangelist Bill Keller announced on Tuesday that he plans to open a Christian center nearby.

"How do you battle the darkness? With the light!" he states on the 9/11 Christian Center at Ground Zero website.

Rather than hold protests over the Cordoba House – a 15-story facility that project leaders claim will promote tolerance, help improve Muslim-West relations, and serve as a platform for people of all backgrounds to come together – Keller says he wants to take "an ongoing stand" against the mosque in a meaningful way.

The Christian center will serve to "combat this new evil being constructed near ground zero" and "bring people the Truth of God's Word and the love and hope of Jesus Christ," the fire-and-brimstone preacher states.

:rofl
PSP

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
you guys should build a synagogue in mecca

Eric P

• Icon
oh man

i just don't even know what to say.

apocalyptic american tradition just drives me insane
Tonya

Brehvolution

Anecdotal evidence and all, but Jesus was supposed to come back 20 years ago.
©ZH

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Probably the most offensive political ad I have seen thus far:

[youtube=560,345]mjGJPPRD3u0[/youtube]
PSP

Phoenix Dark

They're building the mosque to celebrate 911?  :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
The best part about that video is the subtle insinuation that our secret Muslim Kenyan President won't stop the project... or is he behind it altogether?!
PSP

Cheebs

I like the idea that they want the fed. government to stay out of local affairs yet implying Obama isn't doing enough to stop this action being done which is done at a local government level.

Phoenix Dark

"Kill the mosque"? Seriously?

what happened to being able to worship your faith wherever you wanted. oh wait, it only applies to Christians  :american

Phoenix Dark

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.

Q: Please identify homosexual conduct here

A: The soldier in the first row, 2nd from left is the one known as Pheonix Dark
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 03:01:38 PM by Mamacint »
___

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Probably the most offensive political ad I have seen thus far:

[youtube=560,345]mjGJPPRD3u0[/youtube]
Holy shit at the cross made out of I-beams. :rofl  Not surprisingly, networks are refusing to air the spot.

Phoenix Dark

Eric P

• Icon
ha ha ha

Tonya

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
holy fuck let's post that for everyone that doesn't click the link.  excerpts are from the blog of Mark Williams, national spokesman for the Tea Party Express:

Here's a sample (the post is written in the form of a mock letter to President Abraham Lincoln from Ben Jealous, president of the NAACP):

"We Colored People have taken a vote and decided that we don't cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!"

That's just the introduction. Here's the good stuff:

"Perhaps the most racist point of all in the tea parties is their demand that government "stop raising our taxes." That is outrageous! How will we Colored People ever get a wide screen TV in every room if non-coloreds get to keep what they earn? Totally racist! The tea party expects coloreds to be productive members of society?

Mr. Lincoln, you were the greatest racist ever. We had a great gig. Three squares, room and board, all our decisions made by the massa in the house. Please repeal the 13th and 14th Amendments and let us get back to where we belong."

Again, for the record: this how an official at the Tea Party Express explains how not racist the Tea Party is.
pcp

Brehvolution

[youtube=560,345]ZtH7vH4yRcY&NR=1[/youtube]
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]UTeVfkji9HE[/youtube]

got to be shitting me

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Are you offended by the term "colored people", PD?
PS4

Phoenix Dark

No. It's outdated language, just like negro. I've heard my grandparents use both terms multiple times. This tea party guy takes the cake in terms of being a dumbass. I've never been a fan of the NAACP, but the idea that they're racist because "they" call black people colored is the dumbest thing I've heard all year. He must realize that's a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged argument. All this does is further show how inept and categorically stupid the tea party is.

And how laughable is his outrage over the word colored. It doesn't take a genius to guess his real opinion would go something along these lines: "why is it offensive? everyone is technically colored, we all have a color. I don't see why it's not ok to call one group of people colored, but it is ok to call another group of people colored. I'm tired of political correctness ruining this country."

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I listen to Rush, Sean, and Glenn.  As much as people suggest Glenn is the most radical of the three, they all say the same thing basically.  All of them say that NAACP is the real racist organization, that tea partiers are never racist, that the tea party is a racially diverse group of people (in spite of those signs that we've seen) and that the NAACP is racist for being racially divisive over the issue.  Now they are trying to link the NAACP to the New Black Panther Party.  It is only a matter of time before they start linking it to the Obama administration.
🍆🍆

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Haha, it's impossible for the Tea Party to be racist?
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I for one can't wait for the new Republican Congress to look into possible links between the Obama administration and the New Black Panther Party.  Also his birth certificate, etc etc.
yar

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
'tea party' sounds so gay

Oblivion

'tea party' sounds so gay

Should change it to 'tea baggers'.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
shut up fool
___

Phoenix Dark

Indeed.

It is much more accurate to call the NAACP racist because they believe that people should be treated differently in the eyes of the law on the basis of race.
           /
 :himu

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Indeed.

It is much more accurate to call the NAACP racist because they believe that people should be treated differently in the eyes of the law on the basis of race.

/
 :himu

:lol
duc

Brehvolution

Indeed.

How dare the NAACP infringe on your white privilege.
©ZH

Tristam

Indeed.

Yes, the Tea Party and its officials aren't racist when the spokesman of the Tea Party Express snidely insinuates that black people are too lazy to work for their government-provided HD TEE VEES and are too stupid to think for themselves and instead prefer to pick cotton as slaves (where they belong).

John Calhoun would be proud, JayDubya, you fucking dimwit shitbag.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 09:28:00 AM by Tristam »

Phoenix Dark

How come race satire is fine when Chris Rock does it, but not ok when a white guy does it!

Oblivion

How come race satire is fine when Chris Rock does it, but not ok when a white guy does it!

You ever notice how there's no WHITE history month?

Think about it. :smug

bagofeyes

• blow me - I deserve it
Indeed.

Yes, the Tea Party and its officials aren't racist when the president of the Tea Party Express snidely insinuates that black people are too lazy to work for their government-provided HD TEE VEES and are too stupid to think for themselves and instead prefer to pick cotton as slaves (where they belong).

John Calhoun would be proud, JayDubya, you fucking dimwit shitbag.

lol, ouch

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I literally erupted into a John McEnroe-inspired battle cry of, "You cannot be serious!" when I read JayDubya's reply. He is the best Internet troll ever.
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
The tea party is all about that *wink wink* type racism.  The "It's ok, I have a black friend!" type of racism or "I don't mean to be racist but why are black people so lazy?" type of racism.

The tea party is just a 21st century variant on the "state's rights" set.  I'll be interested in hearing how tea baggers will react if their elected candidates vote hard right authoritarian like we know they all will, much like their anointed leader, Dick Armey, voted when he was in Congress.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

If they don't care that Reagan raised taxes, spending, and the deficit, why the fuck would they care what Michelle Bachman does when republicans take over?