Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866688 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Because they have to create their boogyman. It justifies their existence. Conservatives hate government because they see it as inefficient at what it's supposed to do with their money. Then they vote for people who make it inefficient so they can point and say, "See?! Told you!"
©ZH

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Why do American conservatives always treat government-run health care like a hypothetical?  It's always in theoretical terms, couched in the ideology of anti-government rhetoric, and ignoring, y'know, the actual first-world countries that seem to make it work allright here in reality...  ???

Even when they don't couch it in a hypothetical they demonize the places that do have it. As in Canada sucks and so does their health care system. They have no interest in actually debating the issue. They have drawn a theoretical line in the sand against anymore "big government" in whatever form that constitutes.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Why do American conservatives always treat government-run health care like a hypothetical?  It's always in theoretical terms, couched in the ideology of anti-government rhetoric, and ignoring, y'know, the actual first-world countries that seem to make it work allright here in reality...  ???

bububu wait times!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
People are left to die in Canada's emergency rooms :'(
PSP

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
People are left to die in Canada's emergency rooms :'(

Actually, we leave people to die on northern ice floes.
MMA

Phoenix Dark

Kind of ironic Stevens died in a plane with a lobbyist. RIP

T-Short

• hooker strangler

Hehe, you reminded me of the classic John Oliver bit from Hawaii

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-11-2010/the-apparent-trap
地平線

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

Region-blocked.  :'(
MMA

Beardo

Region-blocked.  :'(

See. Canada sucks. Who would want to live there.

Mandark

• Icon
Sheesh
« Reply #10270 on: August 11, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

They reduced the cost because they were taking the money from elsewhere right?
No.

What Krugman fails to talk about is that everyone agrees that the Obama health care plan did nothing to combat high medical costs.

That is not a true statement at all.

So why would spending go down?

Because of cost-control measures in the bill.  Ones which were discussed ad nauseum during the process, so it's not exactly a secret.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
[youtube=560,345]P4jiqYcUoOk[/youtube]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Ah yes, mr. hypocrite himself. Mr. family values that yelled for Clinton to be impeached yet scoffs at the notion he should lose his job doing the same exact thing.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2010/09/the-point-of-no-return/8186/3/
:drudge

Glen Greenwald's epic smackdown:
http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/08/12/goldberg/index.html

I must admit I wasn't familiar with Goldberg on a name basis until today; I'm sure I read some of his stuff during the run up to the Iraq war, just didn't take note of the name. Not only does he serve up a bold face lie in the first sentence, he also provides this gem, quoted in Greenwald's article

Jeffrey Goldberg, in the new cover story in The Atlantic, on an Israeli attack on Iran:

"Israel has twice before successfully attacked and destroyed an enemy's nuclear program. In 1981, Israeli warplanes bombed the Iraqi reactor at Osirak, halting -- forever, as it turned out -- Saddam Hussein's nuclear ambitions; and in 2007, Israeli planes destroyed a North Korean-built reactor in Syria.  An attack on Iran, then, would be unprecedented only in scope and complexity."

Good news!  Israel can successfully end a country's nuclear program by bombing them, as proven by its 1981 attack on Iraq, which, says Goldberg, halted "forever, as it turned out -- Saddam Hussein’s nuclear ambitions."

Jeffrey Goldberg, The New Yorker, 2002, trying to convince Americans to fear Iraq:

"Saddam Hussein never gave up his hope of turning Iraq into a nuclear power. After the Osirak attack, he rebuilt, redoubled his efforts, and dispersed his facilities. Those who have followed Saddam's progress believe that no single strike today would eradicate his nuclear program."

When it suited him back then, Goldberg made the exact opposite claim, literally, of the one he makes today.  Back then, Goldberg wouldn't possibly claim what he claims now -- that the 1981 strike permanently halted Saddam's "nuclear ambitions" -- because, back then, his goal was to scare Americans about The Threat of Saddam.  So in 2002, Goldberg warned Americans that Saddam had "redoubled" his efforts to turn Iraq into a nuclear power after the Israeli attack, i.e., that Saddam had a scarier nuclear program than ever before after the 1981 bombing raid.  But now, Goldberg has a different goal:  to convince Americans of the efficacy of bombing Iran, and thus, without batting an eye, he simply asserts the exact opposite factual premise:  that the Israelis successfully and permanently ended Saddam's nuclear ambition back in 1981 by bombing it out of existence (and, therefore, we can do something similar now to Iran).
:lol

I can't wait to see how Goldberg possibly responds to this, and whether the media trumpets his claims over the next couple weeks.

Brehvolution

©ZH

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
So "Anchor Babies" are now being regarded as possible future terrorists? ghahahahah. This seems like a new level of shameless terrorism linking. They're being referred to as "Terror Babies" :lol
:9

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Anchor Babies is my new favorite term
PSP

huckleberry

I cannot believe that there are people in this country who would give a fuck about Iran at this point.

Our economy is completely in the shitter, we are in a boondoggle of a war in Afghanistan, the Republicans would have you believe that the mongrel hordes are flowing over the southern border (i.e. we do need immigration reform, or at least a real discourse)

.....and a few dumb cunts want to make war with Iran.  Awesome....just awesome.
wub

Oblivion

So "Anchor Babies" are now being regarded as possible future terrorists? ghahahahah. This seems like a new level of shameless terrorism linking. They're being referred to as "Terror Babies" :lol

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Phoenix Dark

"did you read your own website? did you read what Tony said?"

what the FUCK  :lol

"help us fill the hole, Anderson"
 :lol

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:29:02 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I cannot believe that there are people in this country who would give a fuck about Iran at this point.

Our economy is completely in the shitter, we are in a boondoggle of a war in Afghanistan, the Republicans would have you believe that the mongrel hordes are flowing over the southern border (i.e. we do need immigration reform, or at least a real discourse)

.....and a few dumb cunts want to make war with Iran.  Awesome....just awesome.

What it all boils down to is that a bunch of nervous Jews want to.  REAL TALK.
yar

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

huckleberry

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/News/Article.aspx?id=185060

First it's 8 days and now its 3.....fuck you John Bolton.
wub

Obama visited Sub Pop Records in Seattle today. :rock
野球

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Obama the Shellac fan :rock
pcp

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
i am shocked by this turn of events

shocked
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Gov. Appalachian Trail also ended taking stimulus money.
yar

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
The Republican neocon hypocrisy is absolutely mindblowing. 

Makes me want to move to Canada.
Tacos

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

I've got a futon available in my living room.
MMA

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Can it fit two?
Tacos

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
MMA

Hitler Stole My Potato

• The Pelé of Anal
Then I imagine Angie and I will be up there sometime after the 2010 elections.  Make some sandwiches.
Tacos

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
 :lol :lol :lol
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon

I've got a futon available in my living room.

...but where will the horse sleep?
yar

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Phoenix Dark

I saw that headline on TPM and almost broke shit. Then I heard the audio was posted by Breitbart so I thought maybe just maybe it was another smear edit drive-by. Then I heard it's legit and I want to break shit even more

TLDR:  >:( :-\  :omg  >:(

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store

Mandark

• Icon
I normally try to ignore Palin cause she's just trolling, but I'll take the bait on this one: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/08/sarah-palin-defends-dr-laura.html

SarahPalinUSA  Dr.Laura:don't retreat...reload! (Steps aside bc her 1st Amend.rights ceased 2exist thx 2activists trying 2silence"isn't American,not fair")

SarahPalinUSA  Dr.Laura=even more powerful & effective w/out the shackles, so watch out Constitutional obstructionists. And b thankful 4 her voice,America!

Phoenix Dark

but what about sensitivity, Sarah

Mupepe

• Icon
i think sarah palin is really the only politician i'd probably hit if i came with in striking distance and she opened her mouth.  she reminds me of every annoying religious woman (the mist) cliche in every movie, but worse because she's real and she influences and affects my surroundings.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Phoenix Dark

Wow, destroyed yet again.

Mandark

• Icon
I'm sure Greenwald is right (or at least more right) on the merits, but I ain't reading that.

You'd be hard pressed to find two dudes who cling as tenaciously and humorlessly to political e-beef than those two.  It's like Ichi-GS with a bigger audience.

Phoenix Dark

"change ur blog glenn"
"no u"

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
I'm sure Greenwald is right (or at least more right) on the merits, but I ain't reading that.

You'd be hard pressed to find two dudes who cling as tenaciously and humorlessly to political e-beef than those two.  It's like Ichi-GS with a bigger audience.

well, shit, now I feel all dirty an' shit for reading most of that link.  Thanks, Mandark!  :-X :yuck
MMA

huckleberry

Can someone help me to understand how Russia is helping Iran with it's nuclear reactor in direct contravention with United Nations resolutions concerning the Iranian enrichment of uranium?  I don't quite understand how a permanent member of the security council can do this.....sorry, woefully ignorant of how the UN works.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:39:25 AM by Arde0 »
wub

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Can someone help me to understand how Russia is helping Iran with it's nuclear reactor in direct contravention with United Nations resolutions concerning the Iranian enrichment of uranium?  I don't quite understand how a permanent member of the security council can do this.....sorry, woefully ignorant of how the UN works.

Basically, Putin is a Bond villain.
yar

Mandark

• Icon

It's not actually against any UN resolutions (all of which Russia had to vote for in order to pass).  There are limited sanctions aimed at Iran, but no wholesale ban on nuclear development.  The facility in question is being monitored closely by the IAEA to make sure it's used as a power plant rather than for weaponizing plutonium.

The official rationale of the sanctions have to do with Iran not fully cooperating with the IAEA or abiding by the Non-Proliferation Treaty (setting up a secret facility at Qom, doing some sort of reprocessing/enrichment shenanigans).  Supervised nuclear power isn't prohibited, so long as all the right things are properly accounted for.  This deal has been a while in the making, and Russia wouldn't have voted for any sanctions that would have scuttled it.

At least that's my vague understanding of the situation.  Anyone who actually knows their onions is welcome to explain it better.

Oblivion

I feel slightly dirty saying this, but David Gregory's been doing a pretty good job of grilling republicans on the tax cuts and the deficits for the past few weeks.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship

“The most important number here for this recovery plan is how many jobs it produces, not how many votes it gets,” Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel

Whatever happened to old Rahm-bo anyways? They've kept him tucked away for quite awhile now.

Phoenix Dark

too bad Obama's not a reincarnated Jimmy Carter or we'd have some killer jobs numbers right now

Mandark

• Icon
Oh, don't pay him no mind.  I just checked at GAF and he's still doing his old schtick, holding up a "moderate" Republican as a paragon of virtue (George Voinovich in the Newt role) and retconning recent political history to make libruls look worse.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
So angry. But when your viewpoints have the political relevance and influence of the libertarians, I would be angry too.

Bernie Sanders 2012. Let's shoot for 2%!

Mandark

• Icon
Hey, my guy won and I'm getting most of what I expected out of it.  Presumably you just haven't been keeping up with the thread and figured I'd take the Triumph line, so fair mistake.  Plus as a pro-gay, pro-choice Republican you can't really be against minority political views, eh?

But seriously, don't fall too hard for Voinovich.  He's all "Grrrr!  Deficits!" now, but he voted for the all the worst budget-busters of the Bush era (tax cuts, Iraq, Medicare Part D) and some of the medium-sized ones to boot.  If you really care about this stuff you shouldn't be letting him off the hook so easy.