Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866688 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10440 on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
The speech was nice and all but it is getting into the 11th hour and it would have been much better in the summer once it was obvious there wasn't going to be any growth.  Obama's summer of recovery performance was baffling, it just didn't look like he gave much of a fuck about people's concerns (the economy, you know, the main reason why people voted for him in the first place).  Now it is less than two months away from 2010 midterm elections and he is scrambling to salvage the sinking ship.

I wonder how it will impact opinion.  My guess is not much; things are moving too fast away from him.  But I guess we'll see.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10441 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:37 PM »
Don't delude yourselves- once the GOP takes over the house, there will be endless investigations into Obama's birth certificate, Michelle's vacation plans, probably Bo the dog and let's not forget anything with any sort of racial overtones they can muster up (Philadelphia Black Panther "incident", etc) for months and months.  These are still the same fucknuts who investigated the Clinton's Christmas card list for hundreds of hours.

Also, the government will shut down.  Mark my words, it's gonna happen.  Somehow all of this will be Obama/the Dems fault.  Thanks, biased liberal media.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10442 on: September 08, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
+1 Truthiness rally

Willco, grab some extra air mattresses.
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10443 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »
It's easy to create the boogey man. Any defense is an admission of guilt. The success of faux news correlates directly with the disenfranchisement of the older white American. Faux is in the driver's seat for the narrative for the time being it seems.
©ZH

« Reply #10444 on: September 08, 2010, 10:24:56 PM »
Anyone remember James Carville saying republicans would be irrelevant for a decade or longer?  Ah the ever egotistical democrats.   :teehee
+1

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10445 on: September 08, 2010, 10:31:11 PM »
Anyone remember James Carville saying republicans would be irrelevant for a decade or longer?  Ah the ever egotistical democrats.   :teehee

Anyone remember Zell Miller saying democrats would be irrelevant for a decade or longer? Ah the ever egotistical conservatives :teehee

I'm sure the GOP will subpoena Sasha, but eventually they'll have to do something constructive. Maybe at that point something will get accomplished.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10446 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »
btw Shogon, republicans are fucked in the long term. Can't wait until Texas turns blue thanks to all this messican hatin' :teehee

« Reply #10447 on: September 08, 2010, 10:32:59 PM »

Anyone remember Zell Miller saying democrats would be irrelevant for a decade or longer? Ah the ever egotistical conservatives :teehee

I'm sure the GOP will subpoena Sasha, but eventually they'll have to do something constructive. Maybe at that point something will get accomplished.

Nobody remembers Zell Miller, and those that do are trying to forget.  
+1

« Reply #10448 on: September 08, 2010, 10:46:54 PM »
btw Shogon, republicans are fucked in the long term. Can't wait until Texas turns blue thanks to all this messican hatin' :teehee

You're right, but you forget that all those messicans are catholic, bu bu but religion.  Joking aside, it'll be interesting to see if they stick to the Bush/Cheney neocon ideas or actually go back to being conservatives.  It didn't take the neocons long to hijack the teaparty.

Anyways about to call it a night to drink beer, play mass effect, drink coffee, and play more mass effect.  PEACE.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 10:49:17 PM by ShogunOfFear »
+1

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10449 on: September 08, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »

You're right, but you forget that all those messicans are catholic, bu bu but religion.  Joking aside, it'll be interesting to see if they stick to the Bush/Cheney neocon ideas or actually go back to being conservatives.  It didn't take the neocons long to hijack the teaparty.

Anyways about to call it a night to drink beer, play mass effect, drink coffee, and play more mass effect.  PEACE.

Just like those black people are intolerant christians :teehee

Latinos will vote based on their interests, and who is not calling them criminals

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #10450 on: September 08, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
Catholics lean Democrat anyway.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10451 on: September 09, 2010, 12:38:53 AM »

Yeah, but not because of anything intrinsic to Catholicism.  It's an artifact of the times when Catholics -- primarily Irish/Italian/Slavic -- were immigrating heavily to the US and seen as a nonwhite cultural threat by certain Americans.  So the Republican exploitation of nativist fears drove them to an affiliation with the Democratic party that's lasted over a century.

I mean, what are the odds that'll happen with the American latino community?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish

Tristam

« Reply #10453 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:29 AM »
I spent the weekend with a group of academics that have been studying the American conservative populist movement for years.  They have a very interesting take on how it happened and especially why it persists.  They place a lot of blame for the success of Fox News etc. on the liberal media and their inability to see the country's actual tensions while the conservative media taps right into it.

So...paranoia and racism?

Beardo

« Reply #10454 on: September 09, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
btw Shogon, republicans are fucked in the long term. Can't wait until Texas turns blue thanks to all this messican hatin'

You're joking right. You know illegal immigrants can't vote? You guys really do believe conservatives just hate people. For no other  reason to just hate. It has nothing to do with what they look like but go ahead and live in the fantasy land of a liberal Texas.

Yeah, but not because of anything intrinsic to Catholicism.  It's an artifact of the times when Catholics -- primarily Irish/Italian/Slavic -- were immigrating heavily to the US and seen as a nonwhite cultural threat by certain Americans.  So the Republican exploitation of nativist fears drove them to an affiliation with the Democratic party that's lasted over a century.

You mean democrat, if were speaking pre 20th century and around the turn of the century.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10455 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
Beardo: All Hispanics are illegal immigrants.
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10456 on: September 09, 2010, 09:35:03 AM »
It's like Republicans actually don't realize that all of this Mexicophobia is bad for them with actual legal immigrants too somehow, or that ONLY illegal immigrants will get hassled with that BS Arizona law.
yar

Brehvolution

« Reply #10457 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
It's easy to create the boogey man. Any defense is an admission of guilt. The success of faux news correlates directly with the disenfranchisement of the older white American. Faux is in the driver's seat for the narrative for the time being it seems.
Defense?
I mean things like Obama's birth certificate. Birthers say "show me the certificate" and when he doesn't, to them, it's an admission of guilt.
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10458 on: September 09, 2010, 11:30:06 AM »

Italian/Slavic here... does that mean I'm ready to call Himu and Beezy my non-white brothers?  :o
^_^

Tristam

« Reply #10459 on: September 09, 2010, 12:32:47 PM »
btw Shogon, republicans are fucked in the long term. Can't wait until Texas turns blue thanks to all this messican hatin'

You're joking right. You know illegal immigrants can't vote? You guys really do believe conservatives just hate people. For no other  reason to just hate. It has nothing to do with what they look like but go ahead and live in the fantasy land of a liberal Texas.

You mean democrat, if were speaking pre 20th century and around the turn of the century.

:lol Beardo just admitted that modern-day Republicans exploit nativist fears.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10460 on: September 09, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
I love how Beardo and other conservatives love pointing out how racist dixiecrats were while totally ignoring how they joined the republican party shortly after '64 :teehee

« Reply #10461 on: September 09, 2010, 02:06:48 PM »
The irony is that the dems are the party that benefit from racism, kind of like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson.  They need it for exploitation in their quest for progressive dominance.
+1

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10462 on: September 09, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »
You gotta be shitting me

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10463 on: September 09, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »
The irony is that the dems are the party that benefit from racism, kind of like Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson.  They need it for exploitation in their quest for progressive dominance.

:wtf
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10464 on: September 09, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
[youtube=560,345]kymkeVaSh-0[/youtube]

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10465 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:31 PM »
What I just read from shogun is "sure republicans are racist, but it's democrats who are bad guys for exploiting our noble racism for nefarious purposes"

'When Republicans are caught being terribly racist, it's the Democrats who benefit. Yes, that's right: racism helps Democrats. So who's the racist now?"
乱学者

« Reply #10466 on: September 09, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »
What I just read from shogun is "sure republicans are racist, but it's democrats who are bad guys for exploiting our noble racism for nefarious purposes"

Oh come on man, here let me help you.  Dems use it to demonize political opponents, not all, but for the far left it's their ultimate cannon bomb.

Against the healthcare bill?  Well you must be a racist  (Wink Wink)
Against big spending?  Racist

I could go on and on.  Why would I deny that racist republicans exit?  Are you going to tell me there aren't racist democrats?  Really?  I remember a democrat passing away a few months ago, you know the one with the history with the clan.  The word racist is thrown at anyone to demonize them in political discourse by the disciples of Saul Alinsky, so much in fact that one has to role his eyes when he hears the term in any political debate because it bears about as much gravity as a feather on the moon.  Yes I'd say the democrats have benefited from that tactic, while the victims of racism certainly haven't.
+1

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10467 on: September 09, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
Thought I'd share this little bit on intersecting Canadian and American politics.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/stephen-harper-condemns-koran-burning-my-christ-is-a-tolerant-god/article1700607/

Prime Minister Stephen Harper has used his Christian faith to “unequivocally condemn” a Florida church that plans to burn 200 copies of the Muslim holy book.

“I don't speak very often about my own religion, but let me be very clear: My God and my Christ is a tolerant God, and that's what we want to see in this world,” he said.

Mr. Harper was adding his voice to the global outcry against a Florida preacher who plans to burn copies of the Koran in a bonfire Saturday to mark the ninth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks.

But Mr. Harper was direct in his denunciation.

“I unequivocally condemn it,” he said. “We all enjoy freedom of religion and that freedom of religion comes from a tolerant spirit.”

“I don't think that's the way you treat other faiths, as different as those faiths may be from your own.”

Canada does have a conservative government, but it would be inaccurate to make straight Republican is to Democrat as Conservative is to Liberal comparisons between the US and Canada.  This is one case.  Harper is a religious man, but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve, and rarely makes overt reference to his faith in speeches.

I just saw this, and thought it was commendable for him to directly speak out against this, apparently un-prodded.

For every 4 or 5 things Harper has done in the past 2 years to piss me off, there will tend to be one thing that reminds me why I have voted for him in the past.  Not that I would expect to vote for him again at this moment, just sayin'.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:47:05 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10468 on: September 09, 2010, 03:44:12 PM »

No, that just makes you an asshole.  Or maybe a corporate stooge.  Or a cold, indifferent ideologue.  Take your pick.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:48:08 PM by Boogie »
MMA

« Reply #10469 on: September 09, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

No, that just makes you an asshole.  Or maybe a corporate stooge.  Or a cold, indifferent ideologue.  Take your pick.

I'll take constituionalist. 
+1

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10470 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »

I'll take constituionalist. 

mumble mumble three fifths of a person mumble
MMA

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10471 on: September 09, 2010, 04:20:13 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

"MASTERS DEGREE IN COMMUNICATION!!"
___

« Reply #10472 on: September 09, 2010, 04:34:56 PM »

mumble mumble three fifths of a person mumble

Translation:  mumble mumble boogie's lost his woogie.
+1

Oblivion

« Reply #10473 on: September 09, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »

Oh come on man, here let me help you.  Dems use it to demonize political opponents, not all, but for the far left it's their ultimate cannon bomb.

....but, isn't that because those allegations on many of their opponents are usually true?

Oblivion

« Reply #10474 on: September 09, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »
Also, Shogun, the dems calling someone a racist for opposing the health care bill has less to do with opposing the bill and more to do with showing up at protest rallies with signs depicting Obama as a monkey/being lynched.

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10476 on: September 09, 2010, 06:16:45 PM »

"MASTERS DEGREE IN COMMUNICATION!!"
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/phil-davison-of-freakout-viral-video-has-never-used-youtube-it-was-on-some-kind-of-electronic-server.php?ref=dcblt

"I went home and had a ham sandwich and went to bed and thought that was the end of it," Davison said when reached at home this afternoon. "A friend called, and well, I'm not very good with electronics, is there a YouTube? It was on some kind of electronic server."

Quite possibly the quote of the year

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10477 on: September 09, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
I lived only like 20 minutes away from Minerva.  :lol
püp

Tristam

« Reply #10479 on: September 09, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
I spent the weekend with a group of academics that have been studying the American conservative populist movement for years.  They have a very interesting take on how it happened and especially why it persists.  They place a lot of blame for the success of Fox News etc. on the liberal media and their inability to see the country's actual tensions while the conservative media taps right into it.

So...paranoia and racism?
To some extent, yes.  But there are tensions that run both ways in the immigrant debate and only one side musters them to any real effect.  When was the last time you heard anyone from the left's media talking to real immigrant fears instead of assuaging liberal whites that the other side is bad?

There are people in the liberal media who do highlight the racism and paranoia in the Tea Party movement and do occasionally say watch out, these crazies might actually be dangerous!. Granted, they're not as shrill or alarmist as the pundits on Fox News, but still.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10480 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »

Put more aptly, they benefit from (and stoke) paranoia regarding the perception of racism where it does not exist.

:drudge :drudge JAYDUBYA SIGHTING, JAYDUBYA SIGHTING  :drudge :drudge

QUICK, BEFORE WE HIT THE NEXT PAGE!!!!
MMA

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10481 on: September 09, 2010, 09:06:52 PM »
I embed this song in the name of JayDubya

乱学者

« Reply #10482 on: September 09, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »
Put more aptly, they benefit from (and stoke) paranoia regarding the perception of racism where it does not exist.

Exactly.

....but, isn't that because those allegations on many of their opponents are usually true?

Generally speaking no. Many times the allegations of racism are not racism at all, but something else entirely and the charged infraction may very well be sinister in nature, but racism is applied to rally a particular base of the voting block.  Back in the 08 primaries I recall Bill Clinton making an arrogant remark about one of Obama's victories, I think it was SC.  I remember the nudging under the table that Clinton had said something terrible maybe even racist, someone had to get clarification on what he meant by those statements.   Obama was a rookie and the Clintons were the New York Yankees of politics so I'd call it narcissism if anything.

Also, Shogun, the dems calling someone a racist for opposing the health care bill has less to do with opposing the bill and more to do with showing up at protest rallies with signs depicting Obama as a monkey/being lynched.

Anyone depicting the sign you described would clearly be expressing racism.  What I'm referring to is that guy next to him holding the sign that says "No More Spending" being labeled as just another racist.  I'm getting at the cheapening of the seriousness of racism for political advantage.  It's easy to label someone a racist with no evidence at all while it's impossible for that person to prove they are not because no one knows what's truly in their heart and mind.  It's a low tactic, I put it down there with falsely accusing someone of rape.  I'm tired and leaving it at that for tonight.  POOF I'M GONE

+1

Mandark

• Icon
You never studied
« Reply #10483 on: September 10, 2010, 12:33:51 AM »

No, I don't.  Read a book.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10484 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »
"grrr mr president why are health care costs going up 6%!?!!?"
"uhh probably has something to do with us covering 30 fucking more million people"

No wonder Obama avoids these distinguished mentally-challenged fellows

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10485 on: September 10, 2010, 12:39:58 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/09/AR2010090907733.html

Looks like a damned liberal activist judge is shuffling DADT off the stage a bit early.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #10486 on: September 10, 2010, 01:32:50 PM »
Mandark, how can I grow up to be you?  :heartbeat
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10487 on: September 13, 2010, 03:53:33 AM »
[youtube=560,345]SoTRHbysY7g[/youtube]
 :lol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #10488 on: September 13, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »
War YES YES

Tristam

« Reply #10489 on: September 13, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »
http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/09/13/boehner.gop.taxes/?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- GOP colleagues of House Minority Leader John Boehner are distancing themselves from the Ohio Republican's recent remarks that he would support President Barack Obama's proposal to renew the expiring Bush tax cuts only for those making less than $250,000 if it were his only option.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Kentucky, announced Monday he will introduce legislation that would ensure that no one pays higher income taxes next year.

"We can't let the people who've been hit hardest by this recession and who we need to create the jobs that will get us out of it foot the bill for the Democrats' two-year adventure in expanded government," McConnell said on the Senate floor.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK MY BRAIN IS MELTING

Poor motherfucking rich people....harder hit than anyone else by this recession!

Oblivion

« Reply #10490 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
So who wants to take bets on when and which democrats will cave in on the tax cuts?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10491 on: September 13, 2010, 10:28:59 PM »
Ben Nelson, Evan Bayh, etc etc.  Possibly some who should know better but are in tough reelection fights (Patty Murray in Washington maybe?) will cave too.  Of course, the liberal media will responsibly report that they "compromised in the spirit of bipartisanship" as opposed to caving.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10492 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:34 AM »
So funny GAFers and some folks at TPM seemed to think this issue was some gift for democrats to run with, force republicans into a tough corner, and set up a more interesting November. Anyone who's half paid attention over the last couple years knew exactly what would happen: Obama makes tough speech, republicans tow the line, conservadems switch sides, media wonders why Obama isn't working with republicans, democrats cave, Obama caves and declares victory.

Only difference this time was Boehner "blinking"/fucking up on a Sunday morning show. The next day the GOP cleaned up the mess and walked in unison. We need a Walter Sobchak emote because this whole country is fucked

Brehvolution

« Reply #10493 on: September 14, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »
Dems don't have to do anything. They just expire.
©ZH

Brehvolution

©ZH

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10495 on: September 14, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
I think Christine O'Donnell is an even more useless version of Sarah Palin.  Although she's kind of cute so I hope she wins tonight :heartbeat
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10496 on: September 14, 2010, 09:06:21 PM »
I can't believe she's going to win, holy shit she's insane.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10497 on: September 14, 2010, 09:58:21 PM »
so we're either gonna have a good laugh when all these loonies crash and burn, or we're gonna be crying hard when they drive us off the edge
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10498 on: September 14, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »

officially a blog celebrity :smug

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #10499 on: September 14, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
I just saw that on his site!
QED