Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866129 times)

Tristam

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10860 on: October 31, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/30/world/asia/30japan.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Quote from: NYTimes
However, some warn that the United States could still get it wrong, especially if the midterm elections produced a sharply divided political landscape.

“The danger is if the U.S. plunges into policy paralysis just like Japan in the 1990s,” said Shumpei Takemori, an economist at Keio University in Tokyo. “Ideological divides and political divides can make bold policy action impossible.”

Leading Japanese economists also said their nation’s many failures — like the 1997 tax increase — yielded one crucial lesson on combating the aftereffects of a financial panic: the need to avoid policy flip-flops.

“The lesson is that there is a proper sequence for pulling a nation out of a financial crisis,” said Heizo Takenaka, an economist who was the architect of the successful cleanup of Japan’s banking system in the early 2000s. “First, you restore growth before worrying about deficits.”

Well, we had a good run.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10861 on: October 31, 2010, 07:57:09 AM »
I don't know what the 2010 era Republicans could bring to the table.

The teabagger movement is such that anyone who assists a Democrat will have to face a tough primary battle when it comes time for re-election.  Obama has already attempted to work with the right only to get shut down time and again.  If a GOP politician risks getting thrown out for compromising, then they probably won't work with Obama under any circumstances.

I think it will just be a cavalcade of nuttery.  The economy might start growing on its own but only because of a momentum that was established this year.  I think there will be a lot of inane investigations like wondering how much of a tab Obama ran up on the last vacation he took or the New Black Panther Party.

Hopefully it will be a Clinton thing and the economic growth will be attributed to Obama rather than teabaggers like Sharron Angle.  That way the far right loon fringe like Palin won't have a chance.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10862 on: October 31, 2010, 08:53:51 AM »
Also, about 215,000 people showed up to the Colbert/Stewart rally vs. 87,000 for Glenn Beck's August rally:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20021284-503544.html?tag=stack
🍆🍆

Himu

IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10864 on: October 31, 2010, 01:19:07 PM »
:bow:bow2
___

Himu

« Reply #10865 on: October 31, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10866 on: October 31, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »
Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot that's what I get for not reading the last posts on the previous page.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:47:47 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
Everybody, the Dean!
« Reply #10867 on: October 31, 2010, 11:17:05 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/29/AR2010102905810.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Quote from: David Broder
Look back at FDR and the Great Depression. What finally resolved that economic crisis? World War II.

Here is where Obama is likely to prevail. With strong Republican support in Congress for challenging Iran's ambition to become a nuclear power, he can spend much of 2011 and 2012 orchestrating a showdown with the mullahs. This will help him politically because the opposition party will be urging him on. And as tensions rise and we accelerate preparations for war, the economy will improve.

I am not suggesting, of course, that the president incite a war to get reelected. But the nation will rally around Obama because Iran is the greatest threat to the world in the young century. If he can confront this threat and contain Iran's nuclear ambitions, he will have made the world safer and may be regarded as one of the most successful presidents in history.

What is this I don't even

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10868 on: November 01, 2010, 01:40:14 AM »
That's pretty brilliant, why haven't we tried that before?

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10869 on: November 01, 2010, 01:47:32 AM »
Pretty standard Conventional Serious Washington Groupthink there- everything will be better if we punch the dirty hippies, do what the Republicans want and above all else, NEVER EVER EVER try to learn anything from what happened before.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10870 on: November 01, 2010, 01:55:23 AM »
Lets start a war in the middle east to fix the economy and (more importantly) create bipartisanship.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10871 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »
You can't make an omelette (bipartisanship) without breaking a few eggs (other countries)
___

Oblivion

Re: Everybody, the Dean!
« Reply #10872 on: November 01, 2010, 05:06:20 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/29/AR2010102905810.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Quote from: David Broder
Look back at FDR and the Great Depression. What finally resolved that economic crisis? World War II.

Here is where Obama is likely to prevail. With strong Republican support in Congress for challenging Iran's ambition to become a nuclear power, he can spend much of 2011 and 2012 orchestrating a showdown with the mullahs. This will help him politically because the opposition party will be urging him on. And as tensions rise and we accelerate preparations for war, the economy will improve.

I am not suggesting, of course, that the president incite a war to get reelected. But the nation will rally around Obama because Iran is the greatest threat to the world in the young century. If he can confront this threat and contain Iran's nuclear ambitions, he will have made the world safer and may be regarded as one of the most successful presidents in history.

What is this I don't even

I knew David Broder was annoying, but I didn't think he was an outright distinguished mentally-challenged fellow. This goes into complete teabagger territory.

Himu

« Reply #10873 on: November 01, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
You can't make an omelette (bipartisanship) without breaking a few eggs (other countries)

:rofl
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #10874 on: November 01, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10875 on: November 01, 2010, 01:39:45 PM »
When her underwear came off, I immediately noticed that the waxing trend had completely passed her by.

:fbm

:drool :drool :drool
^_^

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10876 on: November 01, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »
tiesto... no :(

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10877 on: November 01, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/44449;_ylt=AttZ.s.SC_otIOb4WSrR1tCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNibmJtdnBoBGFzc2V0A3BvbGl0aWNvLzIwMTAxMTAxLzQ0NDQ5BGNjb2RlA21vc3Rwb3B1bGFyBGNwb3MDMQRwb3MDMgRwdANob21lX2Nva2UEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDbmV4dGZvcmdvcGxl
Top Republicans in Washington and in the national GOP establishment say the 2010 campaign highlighted an urgent task that they will begin in earnest as soon as the elections are over: Stop Sarah Palin.
Interviews with advisers to the main 2012 presidential contenders and with other veteran Republican operatives make clear they see themselves on a common, if uncoordinated, mission of halting the momentum and credibility Palin gained with conservative activists by plunging so aggressively into this year’s midterm campaigns. (See: Sarah Palin wreaking havoc on campaign trail)
There is rising expectation among GOP elites that Palin will probably run for president in 2012 and could win the Republican nomination, a prospect many of them regard as a disaster in waiting.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #10878 on: November 01, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
If Republicans think they can win with Sarah Palin, they'll nominate her- it doesn't matter how distinguished mentally-challenged they think she is.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10879 on: November 01, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »
So what Senate seats do you guys see Dems losing?  Nevada, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pennsylvania and maybe 1 or 2 more?
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #10880 on: November 01, 2010, 06:18:39 PM »
Sadly, all the ones you listed, plus Florida. I really wish Meek would drop out. :(

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10881 on: November 01, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »
So, what's the word out on the street? Dems losing the house, losing seats in Senate but still have enough for a majority? What is the effect of not having the House?
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10882 on: November 01, 2010, 06:55:23 PM »
Sadly, all the ones you listed, plus Florida. I really wish Meek would drop out. :(

:wag Florida was controlled by a Republican to begin with!  It's Mel Martinez's old seat.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10883 on: November 01, 2010, 06:57:21 PM »
So, what's the word out on the street? Dems losing the house, losing seats in Senate but still have enough for a majority? What is the effect of not having the House?

That's the conventional wisdom.  What it means is that Obama won't be able to do anything except cut taxes, and even that probably won't pass since he won't be cutting them enough/for the right people... you know, the rich.

Also, he's going to get impeached.  For something.  I'm not even kidding.  That will happen, I guarantee it.
yar

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10884 on: November 01, 2010, 06:59:53 PM »

A Tea Party served up with mmm, Peach Mint Tea
___

Oblivion

« Reply #10885 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »

:wag Florida was controlled by a Republican to begin with!  It's Mel Martinez's old seat.

Whoops! Wasn't even thinking of the right race. :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10886 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
Also, completely forgot:  dems could lose Obama's old seat in Illinois pretty easily.  That's how fucking shitty this is.  The real hilarity is that the differences in voting between allegedly moderate Mark Kirk in Illinois and obviously insane Rand Paul in Kentucky will be minimal but ye olde conventional wisdom will paint Kirk as a reasonable Republican.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10887 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
I totally forgot that after tuesday we won't have Blanche Lincoln to kick around anymore. Finally some good news

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10888 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
I totally forgot that after tuesday we won't have Blanche Lincoln to kick around anymore. Finally some good news

Yeah, me too.  That plus Dorgan's ND seat means really bad news tomorrow I'm afraid.  That's ok, America should get the govt. it deserves, and it should get it good and hard.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10889 on: November 01, 2010, 11:24:41 PM »
Thank you America. Here's your Sharon Angle sammich, enjoy

Himu

« Reply #10890 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:53 AM »
I can't wait for tomorrow.

:bow not voting :bow2
:bow our new GOP overlords :bow2
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10891 on: November 02, 2010, 12:14:57 AM »
I for one can't wait to see what Senators Angle, Rubio and Paul will do for America.  The only downside is that there likely won't be a Senator O'donnell to join them, but I have high hopes for Senator Miller from Alaska.
yar

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #10892 on: November 02, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »
guys does your world really change that much if a bunch of republicans gets voted in?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10893 on: November 02, 2010, 12:41:06 AM »
if tim eyman's i-1053 in washington passes, we turn into fucking california
duc

Oblivion

« Reply #10894 on: November 02, 2010, 12:56:40 AM »

What does it do? Mandatory abortions for everyone? Or is it something bad?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #10895 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:16 AM »
Best case scenario with losing the House is that republicans will have enough responsibility in the government that they'll realize they can't keep on obstructing everything.  Worst case is that they'll see that their batshit base approves and justifies just about anything so they'll keep on doing what they're doing now, and maybe even impeach Obama even though he would never be convicted.  IIRC, Clinton's popularity actually increased with his impeachment so maybe the same effect will happen with Obama where people sympathize with the relatively innocent defendant.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10896 on: November 02, 2010, 01:19:53 AM »

What does it do? Mandatory abortions for everyone? Or is it something bad?

requires a 2/3rds state congressional majority to pass any tax increases
duc

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10897 on: November 02, 2010, 01:20:04 AM »

need supermajority and/or ballot inititiave for any and all "tax increase" (including closing loopholes)

yup, yer fucked.

any talk of telling eastern washington to gtfo - or would numbers not even matter without them?
___

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10898 on: November 02, 2010, 02:08:46 AM »
in missouri we're going to get wonderful prop. passed that will LET VOTERS DECIDE every five years if they want to end our income tax in st louis & k.c., which will destroy our bond rating immediately, and will eliminate ONE THIRD of our city revenue when the tax is inevitably repealed.  good jon hillbillies
pcp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10899 on: November 02, 2010, 03:02:44 AM »
well, i-1053, like i-960 before it, is unconstitutional (well, by the wa state constitution), which says that no legislation or legislative action may require more than a simple majority vote. the state suspended i-960; i-1053 reinstates it. ironically, i-1053 does not require a supermajority to pass. unfortunately, populist dumbassery is sure to make it pass. i am sure we will appreciate that california style gridlock!
duc

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10900 on: November 02, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »
Maybe you can pay some "Beaver" US-Canadian people trafficers to get you across to the border into a better life in British Columbia
___

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10901 on: November 02, 2010, 09:19:01 AM »
guys does your world really change that much if a bunch of republicans gets voted in?

No, because I'm white. :smug

Hopefully the blacks and arabs will still get their hour of daily internet access from the internment camps.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 09:24:43 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

treythemovie

« Reply #10902 on: November 02, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
I absentee voted ages ago and yet Obama keeps txting me to remind me to vote.* You'd think the guy would have a country to run or something.  ::)

*And he's even telling me to vote in the wrong state!

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #10903 on: November 02, 2010, 10:18:18 AM »
Just voted. Republican for governor, democrat for congress. I was tempted to vote straight line democrat but the state democratic party has been running my state so badly and the republican is pretty moderate.  I couldn't just be a rubber stamp vote this time. I believe my partner in crime PD is doing the same.

Yeah, Obama keeps texting me too. I keep getting texts from the white house in the middle of the night and it wakes me up.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:34:39 AM by Cheebs »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10904 on: November 02, 2010, 10:31:23 AM »

:rofl
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10905 on: November 02, 2010, 11:06:21 AM »
Just voted. Republican for governor, democrat for congress. I was tempted to vote straight line democrat but the state democratic party has been running my state so badly and the republican is pretty moderate.  I couldn't just be a rubber stamp vote this time. I believe my partner in crime PD is doing the same.

Yeah, Obama keeps texting me too. I keep getting texts from the white house in the middle of the night and it wakes me up.

I'm voting for Synder, fuck it. Doing my research now to see if I have any blue dogs on my ballot

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10906 on: November 02, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
lol voting republican.  have fun when yr "moderate" falls in line with the crazy to keep his numbers up.

i fucked myself out of voting because my address on my i.d. doesn't match the one on the voter registration and i kept putting off getting it changed.  sucks, but missouri is fucked big-time anyway.  only six more months before i can jump ship on this hillbilly hellhole...
pcp

Cheebs

« Reply #10907 on: November 02, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »

I'm voting for Synder, fuck it. Doing my research now to see if I have any blue dogs on my ballot
your congressman is as liberal as they come.

Yep Synder for me too. You know we are in for a landslide when like all of the houses I drive by in ypsi have a RICK MICHIGAN sign.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10908 on: November 02, 2010, 11:46:21 AM »
Hmm some quick research finds Synder wants a 6 billion tax cut? That's only going to fuck us more smh

Cheebs

« Reply #10909 on: November 02, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
It's too late. It's already happening. He is like 30-40% ahead in the polls. He'll even win the ann arbor/ypsi area.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10910 on: November 02, 2010, 12:02:04 PM »
Cutting the Michigan Business Tax will cut education by almost a billion dollars :violin

and he wants to repeal health care? Nah
http://www.freep.com/article/20101010/NEWS15/10100444/Virg-Bernero-and-Rick-Snyder-Where-they-stand

Cheebs

« Reply #10911 on: November 02, 2010, 12:09:16 PM »
Get used to it buddy boy. Synder is already our governor basically. The GOP is going to sweep basically every single position in state government today. The state Democratic party here is effectively dead for now.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10912 on: November 02, 2010, 12:16:47 PM »
I'm gonna vote for Dingell but jeez, he probably shouldn't be running. At his age he should be at home enjoying his last few years

Cheebs

« Reply #10913 on: November 02, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm gonna vote for Dingell but jeez, he probably shouldn't be running. At his age he should be at home enjoying his last few years
He was part of the same freshman house class with John F. Kennedy back in the 50's. He is oddly facing the first decently close election he has had since forever. That GOP wave even started to nip at his heels. He had to have Bill Clinton come in and do a rally for him.

« Reply #10914 on: November 02, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
I mailed my ballot in last week. Straight democratic/liberal voting like usual, but I did vote against 1098, which would enact a state income tax for individuals making over $200,000 a year and for couples that make more than $400,000 a year.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10915 on: November 02, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
Just got back from voting (Michigan). Voted for Bernero for governor, even though he has no shot at winning.

Not many people at the polling place. I remember going in 2008 around the same time and the polls weren't full at all either. Only time I've seen a full, long line was in 2006 but I'm guessing it's because I voted around 6pm that year.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10916 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
I voted for a bunch of long shots as well.

Not a big deal to me.  If there wasn't early voting where I could vote at my convenience, I probably would have never bothered.
🍆🍆

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10917 on: November 02, 2010, 03:48:31 PM »
THE OLDS ARE OUT EN MASSE

takin' their country back from da kidz!
duc

« Reply #10918 on: November 02, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
I was so torn on 1098. I have no problem with taxation, but knowing our legislators here in Washington, they'll have everyone paying an income tax on top of a 10% sales tax in two years if it passes.
野球

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10919 on: November 02, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
requires a 2/3rds state congressional majority to pass any tax increases

Here in Montgomery County we've had an initiative like that on the ballot every two years thanks to a local crank, and it actually passed last time.

Now raising property taxes requires a unanimous (!!!) vote, and I suspect that's behind the current push to start charging ambulance fees, which itself has spawned a ballot initiative and a really bitter fight to go with it.

Functioning government is hard enough without putting up more obstacles, man.