Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866180 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14280 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/10/restrictions_could_keep_five_million_traditionally_democratic_voters_from_the_polls_in_2012.php?ref=fpblg

14 months to get people photo IDs. Given how impressive OFA's grass roots efforts are, I think they can combat this effectively

Imagine the hysteria if dems did this shit.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #14281 on: October 03, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »
WHO THE FUCK ARE THESE DIRTY LIBRUL COMMIES

[youtube=560,345]cgbJ-Fs1ikA[/youtube]

yar

« Reply #14282 on: October 03, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
http://www.tnr.com/blog/timothy-noah/95680/gop-harvard-dump-warren - stay classy GOP

Bububu academia is artificially inflated with libruls! They're not allowing conservatives their place in that world!
野球

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14284 on: October 03, 2011, 06:29:05 PM »
He's going to raise close to a billion dollars, not sure that equals "underdog" lol

Looks like Christie will officially announce his plans to enter or not enter on Thursday. So glad that circus is coming to an end

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14285 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
I think the interest in Christie is evidence for continuing sexism in politics.  His main appeal is that he's a fat douchebag, no?  I don't see a woman with that cv getting too far.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14286 on: October 03, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
I think the interest in Christie is evidence for continuing sexism in politics.  His main appeal is that he's a fat douchebag, no?  I don't see a woman with that cv getting too far.

I think this disgusting post is a sign of how hard the struggle will be to eliminate cacomorphobia from politics.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:54:56 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #14287 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »
He's going to raise close to a billion dollars, not sure that equals "underdog" lol

Looks like Christie will officially announce his plans to enter or not enter on Thursday. So glad that circus is coming to an end

He'll have his two weeks till GOP voters find something they dont like and get tired of him.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14288 on: October 03, 2011, 07:02:45 PM »
I knew Christie was overweight, but I didn't know just how overweight he was until I saw the video of him walking around with Obama surveying the storm damage in NJ. He's like "sit on two toilets and still miss the water" fat.

Get ready for serious concern trolling over his health and who his VP would be

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14289 on: October 03, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
oh em gee @ the latest rick perry controversy

not surprising at all, and i hope it sinks his ass
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14290 on: October 03, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/10/herman-cain-rick-perry-niggerhead-controversy

I don't want to yell "I told you so" just yet, I'll wait and see how this argument is met at a GOP debate by the crowd. But it sure seems like Cain done stepped out of bounds

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14291 on: October 03, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
oh em gee @ the latest rick perry controversy

not surprising at all, and i hope it sinks his ass

What I like was that Herman Cain got asked about it, said it was insensitive to black people, and then Rush etc spent all day BITCHING ABOUT CAIN and now magically Cain doesn't want to talk about it. 

Remember, there's nothing worse about being a Republican than reminding people that yes, the party is in fact racist as fuck.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14292 on: October 03, 2011, 07:32:22 PM »

Apparently Rushbo spent all day slamming Cain over his comments. Should have stayed in his place!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14293 on: October 03, 2011, 07:32:56 PM »

Remember, there's nothing worse about being a Republican than reminding people that yes, the party is in fact racist as fuck.

on the flipside...

http://www.racialicious.com/2011/09/30/with-populists-like-these-salon-swiftboats-melissa-harris-perry
pcp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14294 on: October 03, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Rick Perry has a hunting lodge named "Niggarhead" (sp) for like 20 years.  Herman Cain remarks that such a name is insensitive to a lot of black people.

The person guilty of racism is obviously Herman Cain here.  Who the fuck takes these fuckers seriously?
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #14295 on: October 03, 2011, 09:18:29 PM »
Why are tea baggers enamored with Chris Christie? Sure, he's an asshole, but his track record is as bad, if not WORSE than Romney, when it comes to living up to conservative principles.

Even Rushbo was smitten with him. Must be a fattie thing.

Also, Melissa Harris Perry is milf-o-licious.

Oblivion

« Reply #14296 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »
Christie fans should be referred to as chubby chasers then.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #14297 on: October 03, 2011, 09:35:54 PM »
Christie won't run, it's already highly evident.
püp

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14298 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »
"chris christie plans to waddle for the highest office in the land"
duc

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14299 on: October 03, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
[youtube=560,345]tmQBJMAZZsY[/youtube]
Very good politician, and an asshole. Not many assholes can get people to laugh at stories relating to cutting other people's benefits

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14300 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:52 AM »
GOP base is made up of people that find that kind of stuff funny until it happens to them.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14301 on: October 04, 2011, 01:12:20 AM »
That's the thing though. Republicans are openly advocating for cutting everyone's benefits. Perhaps they get away with it because while everyone gets hurt, some groups (unions, the poor) get hit a lot harder and faster. I might be wrong and I'm sorta drunk watching SC2 tournaments, gonna have to wait for Mandark to google do some research, but this seems like a newish, broad national strategy that goes well beyond just fucking minorities over with cuts, or fucking unions over, etc. That's not to say republicans had the working man's best interest in mind until 2010. They tried this type of assault in 2005 with SS privatization and got soundly rejected, after misreading the election results as a mandate to do stupid stuff. And once again they've read election results as a mandate/excuse to assault entitlements, but the deficit "crisis" has finally given them the chance they've been dreaming about for ages

it's like "yea I'm getting fucked in the ass, but YOU'RE getting DP'd haha"
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:18:44 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #14302 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:28 AM »
The GOP tried to cut Medicare spending in 1995, which was the crux of the shutdown crisis.  IIRC Reagan made a run at Social Security but had to back off and set up a bipartisan commission to give him cover for a deal that didn't even cut benefits.  Along with SS privatization in 2005 and the Ryan budget, that makes four times that Republicans have overreached on rolling back social programs after a big electoral victory.

So it's not new, and I don't think the odds of a major SS/Medicare rollback have gone up.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #14303 on: October 04, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
First I'm hearing about this "999" plan from Cain. Does it involve trapping all the lower and middle class in a sinking cruise ship?
^_^

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14304 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »
Here's a related video:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Yikes.

Basically, he's taking any kind of tax increase completely off the table by equating it to an assault on American Exceptionalism, class warfare, etc. So the deficit means we all have to make sacrifices. We can't raise taxes on the wealthy even a little; we have to keep under-funding our infrastructure, take lower benefits, and just get used to a lower standard of living altogether. Because to do otherwise would make us a weaker nation.

I thought this guy was a moderate.

Hes totally got a couple Kochs up his ass
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14305 on: October 04, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
Kinda wished he decided to run just so republicans could find out he supports civil unions, believes in global warming, and put a Moslem on the NJ SC.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14306 on: October 04, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »
Kinda wished he decided to run just so republicans could find out he supports civil unions, believes in global warming, and put a Moslem on the NJ SC.

The first two are easy enough- just flip flop.  Last one is kinda troublesome.

Moot point now anyway.
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14307 on: October 05, 2011, 01:05:18 AM »
Honestly? I think Anonymous will deal some damage, but I would not be surprised if there were some serious-as-shit repercussions that come from it, retaliatory acts against Anonymous members who turn out not to be as anonymous as they thought.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14308 on: October 05, 2011, 01:09:40 AM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/44780673#44780673 -- Fuuuu SCotUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
o_0

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #14309 on: October 05, 2011, 01:48:43 AM »
tl;dw

sum it up plz
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14310 on: October 05, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »
tl;dw

sum it up plz

Karl Rove is going to spend $100 trillion to trick people into voting against Obama.
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14311 on: October 05, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/05/buddy-roemer-occupy-wall-street_n_996963.html

As far as candidates go, Buddy seems like cool people. Wish he got more face time but he's being honest with donations so thats why he'll never have a chance. God bless America.
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14313 on: October 05, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
Not really surprising. I mean, when was the last time Sarah Palin was relevant to national politics? Oh wait...NEVER.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14314 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
Duh. She literally can't afford to run for president lolol

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #14315 on: October 05, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
She should do the cover of sports illustrated swimsuit edition

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14316 on: October 05, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »
lol @ Palin's big media day being completely drowned by the Steve Jobs news

Oblivion

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14318 on: October 06, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
People laughed when I said we needed to kill some of them as an example back in 2008.  Who be laughin now, bro?
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14319 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:53 AM »
yea I wish they passed the stimulus then jumped right into a fight with Wall Street, regardless of whether it succeeded or not.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14320 on: October 06, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »
Quote from: Wikipedia: French Revolution
Louis XVI ascended to the throne amidst a financial crisis; the state was nearing bankruptcy and outlays outpaced income. This was because of France’s financial obligations stemming from involvement in the Seven Years War and its participation in the American Revolutionary War. In May 1776, finance minister Turgot was dismissed, after he failed to enact reforms. The next year, Jacques Necker, a foreigner, was appointed Comptroller-General of Finance. He could not be made an official minister because he was a Protestant.

Necker realized that the country's extremely regressive tax system subjected the lower classes to a heavy burden, while numerous exemptions existed for the nobility and clergy. He argued that the country could not be taxed higher; that tax exemptions for the nobility and clergy must be reduced; and proposed that borrowing more money would solve the country's fiscal shortages. Necker published a report to support this claim that underestimated the deficit by roughly 36 million livres, and proposed restricting the power of the parlements.

This was not received well by the King's ministers and Necker, hoping to bolster his position, argued to be made a minister. The King refused, Necker was fired, and Charles Alexandre de Calonne was appointed to the Comptrollership. Calonne initially spent liberally, but he quickly realized the critical financial situation and proposed a new tax code.

The proposal included a consistent land tax, which would include taxation of the nobility and clergy. Faced with opposition from the parlements, Calonne organised the summoning of the Assembly of Notables. But the Assembly failed to endorse Calonne's proposals and instead weakened his position through its criticism. In response, the King announced the calling of the Estates-General for May 1789, the first time the body had been summoned since 1614. This was a signal that the Bourbon monarchy was in a weakened state and subject to the demands of its people.

We must be getting pretty close to public executions of the wealthy, right?
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14321 on: October 06, 2011, 06:17:27 AM »
There needed to be harsh, draconian financial industry legislation in early 2009, back when there was generous public support to do so (and the thing that Barack Obama owed his presidency to)

Instead, people put their trust in Larry Summers and Tim Geithner.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:19:03 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #14322 on: October 06, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »
if obama really wanted to prevent the loss of jobs he would have cured pancreatic cancer

drew

• sy
« Reply #14323 on: October 06, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »
lol @ Palin's big media day being completely drowned by the Steve Jobs news

it literally dropped an hour after her announcement :lol

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14324 on: October 06, 2011, 10:11:43 AM »
Bah, fuck it.  I'll be going to Occupy Houston this weekend.  They're camped outside the JP Morgan Chase building in downtown Houston.  I'll have to put gas in with Chase card to get there :'(

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #14325 on: October 06, 2011, 11:11:48 AM »
Obama's running a great press conference right now. Why didn't he use this language for the last 2 years

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14326 on: October 06, 2011, 11:14:44 AM »
Im occupying my apartment this weekend- tired of the lack of jobs in the bedroom :*( where are the "jobs"?
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14327 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
Obama's running a great press conference right now. Why didn't he use this language for the last 2 years

I think what irritates me is that the GOP can do such obvious things to not get anything done, and no one is in their face about that. They just nod while the GOP feeds em shit at press conferences.
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14328 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:42 AM »
fast n furious? wat
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14329 on: October 06, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Haha, Bank of America just announced their explanation for the $5 fee they added for debit cards: "Fuck you, we want more money." This is the kind of honesty we need more from our banks! The Scrooge McDuck vault where they swim around in TARP money is starting to get a little low; cutting 30,000 jobs is a good start, but it's gonna take more than that.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/05/news/economy/bank_of_america_moynihan/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14330 on: October 06, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
Pretty sure all four big banks will end up doing this. They used to use this fee to rip off small business, now that they cant its time to rip off consumers.
o_0

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14331 on: October 06, 2011, 12:17:27 PM »
Glad I don't bank at one of the big banks.
©@©™

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14332 on: October 06, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
Yeah switching to a credit union was one of the smarters things I eventually did.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14333 on: October 06, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
I'm either switching to a credit union or a decent bank. There's a TCF right across the street from me, I'll do some research

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14334 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:43 PM »
I'm either switching to a credit union or a decent bank. There's a TCF right across the street from me, I'll do some research

It was easy to switch banks, the hard part was getting off my ass and doing it.
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14335 on: October 06, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
Not surprising to see costs passed onto the consumer.  Not at all.

:bow Capitalism :bow2
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14336 on: October 06, 2011, 12:39:29 PM »
Not surprising to see costs passed onto the consumer.  Not at all.

:bow Capitalism :bow2

Want to sarcastically bow?  Bow to market interference.  When government tacks onto the costs of doing business, things get more expensive.  Every time.

Interference is the only reason why this might not actually happen. Why would I want to bow to taking away hard-earned profits from job creators? I wouldn't.
dog

MrAngryFace

« Reply #14337 on: October 06, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »
Yes because big business has proven in the past that they will act fairly in an environment devoid of regulation
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #14338 on: October 06, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

It was easy to switch banks, the hard part was getting off my ass and doing it.

Yea, that's gonna be my problem. I'll have to withdraw all my money right? Why can't I just call BoA and tell them to put my money in another bank  :'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14339 on: October 06, 2011, 12:50:50 PM »
Yes because big business has proven in the past that they will act fairly in an environment devoid of regulation

Now why would you say that, MAF? History has proven that the public act large will act in an entirely logical, self-serving manner. Any corporation that engages in underhanded tactics or activities that can harm the public will be dealt with swiftly through widespread boycotts and demands for answers from top executives. This pressure is more than enough to keep corporations in line, merely the threat of such things will keep them honest. Unfortunately, we have all this messy regulation that keeps throwing our economy into chaos and keeps the wealthy and powerful in this country from doing what they do best: creating more jobs for hard-working Americans. If only they were truly allowed to be free...
dog