Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866164 times)

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15000 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »
JayDubya:  Just to clarify ... you do think your particular moral ruleset is better than total amorality, right?  It's not just preferential, right?  I mean, naturally being evil all of the time is better than being evil some of the time - I'm just trying to figure out how you rank evil vs lawful neutral or whatever it is you're supposed to subscribe to.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:16:57 PM by Owl-faced Wizard »
ǚ

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #15001 on: November 29, 2011, 09:12:03 PM »
JayDubya:  Just to clarify ... you do think your particular moral ruleset is better than total amorality, right?  It's not just preferential, right?  I mean, naturally being evil all of the time is better than being evil some of the time - I'm just trying to figure out how you rank evil vs whatever it is you're supposed to subscribe to.

NOOOO you engaged him on the next page
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #15002 on: November 29, 2011, 10:13:55 PM »
JayDubya:  Just to clarify ... you do think your particular moral ruleset is better than total amorality, right?  It's not just preferential, right?  I mean, naturally being evil all of the time is better than being evil some of the time - I'm just trying to figure out how you rank evil vs whatever it is you're supposed to subscribe to.

The Bore equivalent of "hey grandpa, what were you saying about the Japanese last Christmas, I forgot"

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
duc

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #15004 on: November 29, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »

it's my fault, i had to push the 'bortion button when i saw his name
duc

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15005 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
Deja Vu.....

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #15006 on: November 30, 2011, 10:24:11 AM »
ANYWAY
o_0

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #15007 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:14 PM »
I think I know JayDubya's favorite wizard of oz character.

the yellow brick road?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15008 on: November 30, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
Oh, that JD, confusing the positive with the normative again.  What a silly goose!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15010 on: November 30, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »

the yellow brick road?

Snap!  I don't care if you keep changing your name, Methodis, that post is streets ahead.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #15011 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
It's Chipopo/My Fucking Grandpa  :P

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15012 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:52 PM »

the yellow brick road?
:lol

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15013 on: November 30, 2011, 12:47:16 PM »
Poor Chipopo  :'(
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15014 on: November 30, 2011, 01:16:48 PM »
Horse slaughter is now legal! :rock

Obama the horse slayer! :bow2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/11/30/1041092/-Obama-Legalizes-Horse-Slaughter-for-Human-Consumption?via=recent
"This was one clause in an 80 page bill, which CONGRESS passed with an veto proof majority and signing it was necessary to keep lots of necessary programs funded (like the USDA), it also does not provide any funds for USDA inspection of horse meat facilities without which the meat cannot be sold in the US for human consumption, so actually nothing will really change. It's just more politics as usual..... Again, it's congresses bill and it's just pork that some special interest group got a senator or congressman to sneak into an important bill which needed to be passed for important programs to be funded...... Not the Presidents idea.... If you want to do something constructive about it, find out who put the amendment into the bill and lobby to have it removed."
[close]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:21:58 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15015 on: November 30, 2011, 02:05:01 PM »
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/2012_presidential_matchups
The Newt Gingrich surge has moved him to the top of the polls in Iowa, big gains in New Hampshire and now a two-point edge over President Obama in a hypothetical general election match-up.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Voters finds Gingrich attracting 45% of the vote while President Obama earns support from 43%. Six percent (6%) prefer some other candidate, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

Last week,  Gingrich trailed the president by six. Two weeks ago,  he was down by twelve.

In both states, more than 70% of GOP caucus or primary voters see Romney and Gingrich as qualified to be president. No other candidate comes close.
lol at this

At least we'll be safe from the radical Muslim (like our Kenyan President) plot to turn America into a secular nation.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15016 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
please god, PLEASE let republicans nominate Newt

Cheebo

« Reply #15017 on: November 30, 2011, 02:18:08 PM »
I can't imagine anything more amazing than Newt Gingrich as the nominee. I can't believe its actually a possibility. It's too good to be true. It has to be.
₩‰\

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15018 on: November 30, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »
I can't imagine anything more amazing than Newt Gingrich as the nominee. I can't believe its actually a possibility. It's too good to be true. It has to be.

if they do, the best part won't be the election, it will be the sinking feeling between the nomination and the general realization that they just nominated NEWT GINGRICH
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15019 on: November 30, 2011, 04:59:17 PM »
I'm gonna miss Cain

Oblivion

« Reply #15020 on: November 30, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
Where's Libya.

edit:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:20:46 PM by Oblivion »

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #15022 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_presidential_election/2012_presidential_matchups
The Newt Gingrich surge has moved him to the top of the polls in Iowa, big gains in New Hampshire and now a two-point edge over President Obama in a hypothetical general election match-up.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely Voters finds Gingrich attracting 45% of the vote while President Obama earns support from 43%. Six percent (6%) prefer some other candidate, and six percent (6%) are undecided.

Last week,  Gingrich trailed the president by six. Two weeks ago,  he was down by twelve.

In both states, more than 70% of GOP caucus or primary voters see Romney and Gingrich as qualified to be president. No other candidate comes close.
lol at this

At least we'll be safe from the radical Muslim (like our Kenyan President) plot to turn America into a secular nation.

Rasmussen is not credible

« Reply #15023 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »
JayDubya:  Just to clarify ... you do think your particular moral ruleset is better than total amorality, right?  It's not just preferential, right?  I mean, naturally being evil all of the time is better than being evil some of the time - I'm just trying to figure out how you rank evil vs lawful neutral or whatever it is you're supposed to subscribe to.

So... I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say.

It's obviously something about ethics theory, put in D&D terms. Since on some level as a gamer geek this appeals to me, I'll give it a go, why the hell not. 

Semantically, amorality is neutrality, not evil - which would be immorality. 

To super-simplify things (which is needed to avoid a bazillion esoteric tangents), "evil" lies in aggressively hurting others.  "Good" lies in helping others.  Broadly, both assertions are talking about actions you're doing of your own free will; with coerced action, the moral implications are largely muted and often eliminated altogether.

"Neutral" is neither helping nor hurting; it's usually just someone acting in their own self-interest.

"Lawful Neutral," as you put it, tends to reflect the majority: whether they believe the laws are just or they simply don't want the punishments, most folks obey the law, and don't go out of their way to help or hurt others.  Good is still commendable, but there's nothing wrong or contemptible with neutral.

Thanks for responding but you didn't answer my question, you just explained the alignment rules of Dungeons and Dragons.  Do you think your moral ruleset is better than total amorality?  And why?
ǚ

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15024 on: November 30, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »

I'm going to try to see if it is possible to get in the Republican primaries to vote for Gingrich or whoever the not Mitt Romney flavor of the month is.
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #15025 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
Anybody seen the Republican counter proposal for the payroll tax cut? Its surprisingly not completely insane! I say completely because they actually want an additional line on the tax forms for billionaires like Buffet where they can donate money to the IRS if they think they should pay more in taxes. Lol!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15026 on: November 30, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
Anybody seen the Republican counter proposal for the payroll tax cut? Its surprisingly not completely insane! I say completely because they actually want an additional line on the tax forms for billionaires like Buffet where they can donate money to the IRS if they think they should pay more in taxes. Lol!

That or direct them here:

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454
🍆🍆

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #15027 on: November 30, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »

That or direct them here:

https://www.pay.gov/paygov/forms/formInstance.html?agencyFormId=23779454

the US Government has a kickstarter page?!
乱学者

benjipwns

« Reply #15028 on: November 30, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/69460.html
Newt Gingrich, who has often blasted the press for "stupid," "gotcha" or insider questions, focused closely on process in an interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News tonight.

Via ABC News, which was given a partial transcript, Gingrich listed his accomplishments this way:

“I helped Ronald Reagan and Jack Kemp develop supply side economics. I helped lead the effort to defeat communism in the Congress.”

He also made clear he's stunned by his own success now:

“Whereas I would have thought originally it was going to be Mitt and not-Mitt, I think it’s going to — it may turn out to be Newt and not-Newt,” Gingrich tells Hannity, according to excerpts of the interview. “And that’s a very different formula than, frankly — I mean we’re having to redesign our campaign strategy because we’re at least 60 days ahead of where I thought we’d be.”

The country, he argued, is "talking to itself" and there's only one cure: More Newt.

And now he's got a video from Ron Paul like Perry and Romney:

Oblivion

« Reply #15029 on: November 30, 2011, 09:47:12 PM »

What are the non-insane components?

Susan Collins surprisingly said she's open to some tax increases, but pretty sure she'll back off if it came to a vote:

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/johanns-sees-change-in-mood-for-tax-increase/

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15030 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:15 PM »
Senator Susan Collins, Republican of Maine, said Tuesday that she had formulated a plan to pay for the extension of a payroll tax holiday for American workers with a tax increase on high earners that carved out employers, so they would not be hit with higher rates.

If we're going to exempt the actual job-creators, there's really no excuse not to pass this.

RED ROVER RED ROVER
SEND GROVER RIGHT OVER

yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15031 on: November 30, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
I'm gonna miss Cain

(Image removed from quote.)

When Herman Cain looks at the world, he does so using Batman's detective mode.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15032 on: December 01, 2011, 12:15:33 AM »
Is danger and opportunity code for "Invade and pillage"?

Considering it's Cain, I'm guessing it translates to "might be undercover"

benjipwns

« Reply #15033 on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:48 AM »
Is danger and opportunity code for "Invade and pillage"?
In other words, Egypt is as tall as his wife but they might go complain to HR.

Phoenix Dark

benjipwns

« Reply #15035 on: December 01, 2011, 03:50:23 AM »

:lol at the leg cross and stuff around 30 seconds in

Saw other clips on Red Eye, Mitt didn't really seem to be enjoying himself in any part of the interview. Don't know if it has to do with them doing it in a Sam's Club/CostCo or wherever the fuck that is though.

EDIT: Guess this is the full interview:

Also, make sure to pick up your Ron Paul Family Cookbook:

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/store/miscellaneous/the-2012-ron-paul-family-cookbook/
The eagerly anticipated new Ron Paul Family Cookbook is finally here!
Featuring 28 pages of tasty recipes from the Paul family and friends, this much-in-demand and collectible cookbook will “warm your kitchen and your heart.” Packed full of photos of the entire Paul family, the book also includes Carol Paul’s “The American Dream” which briefly recounts the history of Ron Paul and the Paul Family.

Share copies of the Ron Paul Family Cookbook with your family and friends this Christmas. The Cookbook makes a great holiday gift! And plan to use the cookbook as one of the best campaign handouts you will ever find.
Just $8! (Or less for more copies!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:56:14 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #15036 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:47 AM »
I'm going to try to see if it is possible to get in the Republican primaries to vote for Gingrich or whoever the not Mitt Romney flavor of the month is.
Forgot about this earlier but you just need to check about your state. Michigan for example you can vote in any primary you want but only one of them. Other states you have to register with a party, some let you register Republican, vote, then unregister immediately, others make you stay registered for a year or cycle. (Which isn't a huge deal depending on how often you want to vote in primaries, but will get you some fun mail. Forever.) You can probably find it pretty easily if you look at either the state or in this case the Republican party's websites. In most instances where you can't just pick whatever you just have to register with the party until after the primary.

Since I know we have some people still trapped in Michigan if you want to vote in the Republican primary you don't have to do anything, just go in and vote only in Republican parts on the ballot. If you vote in anything else it'll invalidate or hold the ballot. (IIRC, the machines will automatically do this now and it may alert so you can get a new ballot if you do screw up. They were talking about this but I don't remember if they actually went through with it.) You can still vote in Democratic primaries or any others any other time you go to the polls, you just get one primary per ballot. And Republicans claim to hate it. They're convinced McCain's wins are due to Democrats crashing the primary polls, and they want to change it and have for like twenty years but I guess they never get around to it or something. I assume it must be more some kind of State GOP and Federal GOP dispute. I mean, the State GOP kept thinking Saul Anuzis was qualified to do, well anything.

EDIT: oops, dp
:tauntaun
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15037 on: December 01, 2011, 05:12:09 AM »
In NC you could be registered as an Independent and vote in one or the other, but now I'm pretty sure you have to be registered as a Republican, which means that if there's any feasible chance of voting for a shitty candidate when our primary rolls around in early May then I will be changing my registration in order to vote for Newt or whoever.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #15038 on: December 01, 2011, 07:00:51 AM »
Well, I'm technically a libertarian (SPLINTER! etc.) and I think I've been clear and open about that on here. (And can't speak for the "movement" or "family" as too many of them are exactly as Van and others describe them, which is basically all political groups especially online*.) And Ron Paul isn't my guy, he's my second guy after Gary Johnson if I waste time to vote in the primaries. (I vote third party in general for ballot status. And don't ever vote Libertarian.)

However, to really simplify my perspective, and I don't necessarily want to argue it extensively even though I could and would, but because I like you guys and would rather be laid back, snark at the stupidity of the 2012 Rethuglicans and talk horse race crap than get into long-winded fights about ideology that won't convince either side and just annoy everyone. But I would be more than happy to answer any questions about us outliers who also control everything and cause all the problems of the world through our Kochs.

I guess I'll start with this quote:
Imagine: any problem that has ever existed - we can solve it together.
What is the alternative? That we must use force, jailing or murdering some segment of people to force them to "solve the problem"? If we cannot voluntarily choose to work together to meet all our demands as best we can, then why should some be allowed to enslave others, no matter how partial, to service only the demands of a few?

Essentially I would argue that central planning doesn't work, no matter how "small" because of lack of price signals and other information, and that an expansive, complex and increasingly arbitrary regulatory state only serves to increase costs and consolidate private actors into large firms, and this all assists cronyism and corruption and that ultimately it necessitates an even larger correction within the market.

The market is all of us trading voluntarily to try and meet each others demands. Central planning replaces actual demands with political incentives which distort prices and lead to misallocation of resources.

And I do get the other perspectives, I am especially bombarded with it constantly, I even understand your quite green metaphor, I just don't buy that explanation or the others along similar lines. The logic doesn't work for me. I don't think "most of us would be better off" instead it would just throw greater and greater power and capability to the elite.

Don't worry though, none of us in the libertarian family matter. We're just here to either rub it in your face when we're right and the hellscape happens or enjoy the paradise when we're wrong.

We do pop out of the monster closets and pull the levers that derail the otherwise functioning system though. I had this duty last weekend and while you get all the mint juleps you want. That's all you get.

I apologize if people are annoyed with this type of stuff or any discussions of the irrelevant ideological family.

Please instead watch Mitt Romney angrily cross his legs above.

And make sure to purchase 11-15 copies of the Ron Paul Family Cookbook at a special discount.

* I put this here just incase anyone actually wonders. But I have personally witnessed "libertarians" who feel we need to militarize the borders and invade Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, etc. slaughtering as many citizens as possible. And others who have advocated to round up hispanics until we check each one for legal status. Actually, most of these, especially the former, are Objectivists. And I think we can all agree, everyone in the world, that Objectivists are the worst people of all.

But there is this one guy who posts everywhere that I can't think of his site now but is convinced to be a "true libertarian" you support increased defense spending and invasions, increased Medicare, no immigration, 500% tariffs on all foreign goods and slaughter brown people until they submit to American will. And that voting for Ron Paul over Rick Perry will destroy the country.

So that's fun.
[close]

This is a bad post.

Oblivion

benjipwns

« Reply #15040 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
I still don't get why THESE are the candidates.

Obama was never going to really lose, but it's not like there isn't a good chance if things break properly, why did none of the "powers" get in? Palin, Christie, Jindal, or Rubio probably could have run roughshod all over this field. And the latter three probably have as good as shot as Romney does at beating Obama. If say Romney wins, you're waiting until 2020?

It's why I think Pawlenty still bailed too early. GOP doesn't like Huntsman and it appears they might know Santorum isn't an option, despite all our wishes, and Paul would never be. This would be where everyone just settles for Pawlenty.

Unless we buy the one GOP theory that 2013-2016 is a lost cause so you go for the "permanent majority" and "split ticket" while not telling your Presidential candidates. (Or telling only some?) As the field has continued to suck I've seen talk of repeating 1994-2000, with R Congress vs. D President. And THEN in 2016 you get the good candidates. Nine or ten Reagans.

« Reply #15041 on: December 01, 2011, 08:27:07 AM »
Do you think your moral ruleset is better than total amorality?  And why?

You're asking me if I think the fairly standard "moral ruleset" of "helping people is commendable" and "aggressively hurting people is contemptible" is better than "total amorality?"

Yes, I'd say so.

Ok, but you didn't say why.  I know it's kind of shitty to, out of nowhere, ask short questions that require involved answers so imma make this post longer.  See you at the end!
I am sincerely interested in what your answers are, but it's probably better that I tell you up front that I am highly incredulous, and have already pretty much made up my mind that you're not gonna be able to answer satisfactorily without slipping out of deontological ethics and blowing the whole thing.  I say this in the interest of full disclosure so you can make an informed decision over whether to indulge my question or not.
ǚ

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15042 on: December 01, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
Also, make sure to pick up your Ron Paul Family Cookbook:
(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.ronpaul2012.com/store/miscellaneous/the-2012-ron-paul-family-cookbook/
The eagerly anticipated new Ron Paul Family Cookbook is finally here!
Featuring 28 pages of tasty recipes from the Paul family and friends, this much-in-demand and collectible cookbook will “warm your kitchen and your heart.” Packed full of photos of the entire Paul family, the book also includes Carol Paul’s “The American Dream” which briefly recounts the history of Ron Paul and the Paul Family.

Share copies of the Ron Paul Family Cookbook with your family and friends this Christmas. The Cookbook makes a great holiday gift! And plan to use the cookbook as one of the best campaign handouts you will ever find.
Just $8! (Or less for more copies!)

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15043 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
:rofl
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #15044 on: December 01, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol
©ZH

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15045 on: December 01, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »

My FB stream doesn't disappoint.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #15046 on: December 01, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »
So the heeee-larious Robin-You Hood pun would look more intact, I guess?  I want to know why the "S" in "WORKERS" is trying to make a break for it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15047 on: December 01, 2011, 04:41:37 PM »
It also directs you to a myspace page :lol

One of the many businesses to suffer during the reign of Nobama

« Reply #15048 on: December 01, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
Republican Jewish Coalition Bars Ron Paul From Presidential Debate, Saying He's Too "misguided and extreme"

http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/01/republican-jewish-coalition-bars-ron-pau
+1

Oblivion

« Reply #15049 on: December 01, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/david/bachmann-suggests-intelligent-design-scienti

During a question-and-answer session at the University of Northern Iowa Wednesday, Bachmann was asked if intelligent design should be taught as science in public schools.

"I think that all science should be on the table," the candidate explained. "I think the one thing we do not want to have is censorship by government."

"I do believe that God created the Earth," she continued. "And I believe there are issues that need to be addressed -- the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the issue of irreducible complexity, the dearth of fossil record."

Jaydubya, I have a question that's tangentially related to this, and I'm asking you specifically, being that you're one of the few libertarians on the bore.

Are you rich? I ask, cause Bill Maher wondered something a good while back, that's stuck with me. He said that he understands why the 1% votes Republican, but not why the other 99% do. Obviously, I get why the religious set does, but this is a question specifically for the libertarians. I figure the latter doesn't really care too much about social issues (god, guns and gheys), and at least has SOME appreciation for science (at least moreso than the former group).

In other words, what would (generally) tip the scale for an average libertarian to vote for a Republican*, someone like Bachmann, would be primarily monetary based. My question is, at what point do you think that the costs of the money that you save from smaller government would be worth the cost of having a bunch of Bachmanns running around in government, dictating things like science policy? Is a few hundred or thousand bucks really worth it to let people like her replace every doctor/scientist at the CDC with priests and ministers?

*I actually don't know whether you've voted for Republicans in the past, I'm just assuming based on arguments in the past, that if it came down to it, you'd probably go with the Rs, rather than the Ds. Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but that's the impression I get.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15050 on: December 01, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »
Republican Jewish Coalition Bars Ron Paul From Presidential Debate, Saying He's Too "misguided and extreme"

http://reason.com/blog/2011/12/01/republican-jewish-coalition-bars-ron-pau

Explain your peoples, Mandark

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15051 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
Forgot about this earlier but you just need to check about your state. Michigan for example you can vote in any primary you want but only one of them. Other states you have to register with a party, some let you register Republican, vote, then unregister immediately, others make you stay registered for a year or cycle. (Which isn't a huge deal depending on how often you want to vote in primaries, but will get you some fun mail. Forever.) You can probably find it pretty easily if you look at either the state or in this case the Republican party's websites. In most instances where you can't just pick whatever you just have to register with the party until after the primary.

Since I know we have some people still trapped in Michigan if you want to vote in the Republican primary you don't have to do anything, just go in and vote only in Republican parts on the ballot. If you vote in anything else it'll invalidate or hold the ballot. (IIRC, the machines will automatically do this now and it may alert so you can get a new ballot if you do screw up. They were talking about this but I don't remember if they actually went through with it.) You can still vote in Democratic primaries or any others any other time you go to the polls, you just get one primary per ballot. And Republicans claim to hate it. They're convinced McCain's wins are due to Democrats crashing the primary polls, and they want to change it and have for like twenty years but I guess they never get around to it or something. I assume it must be more some kind of State GOP and Federal GOP dispute. I mean, the State GOP kept thinking Saul Anuzis was qualified to do, well anything.

EDIT: oops, dp
:tauntaun
[close]

I'm having some difficulty finding the requirements.  I'm in Iowa so I want to make sure I vote for the shittiest flavor of the month not-Mitt Romney GOP primary leader.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #15052 on: December 01, 2011, 09:46:01 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CAIN?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-12-01-18-29-14
Herman Cain is still campaigning for president. But by most measures, his White House bid is all but over. His standing in polls is cratering. Supporters are wavering if not fleeing. Fundraising is suffering.

And, these days, the former pizza company executive is less a serious candidate than the butt of late-night comedy jokes after a string of accusations of sexually inappropriate behavior and, now, an allegation of a 13-yearlong extramarital affair.

"His chance at winning the presidency are effectively zero," said Dave Welch, a Republican strategist who worked on both of John McCain's presidential bids.

And Republican strategist Kellyanne Conway said: "It's the daily dose of the wince-and-cringe factor that leaves people wondering what could be coming next,"

As it has since Ginger White stepped forward Monday, the allegation of an affair overshadowed Cain's campaign for another day Thursday, when he told the New Hampshire Union Leader that his wife, Gloria, did not know he was providing the 46-year-old Atlanta-area businesswoman with money for "month-to-month bills and expenses."
Whoops!

But really, it's easy to forget that kind of thing. How can one man keep track of all the women he's paying or has paid money to in order to keep them quiet?

I'm having some difficulty finding the requirements.  I'm in Iowa so I want to make sure I vote for the shittiest flavor of the month not-Mitt Romney GOP primary leader.
It appears you can just show up at the Caucus on Jan 3rd, register as a Republican and participate, I haven't found anything to contradict that information:
http://iowagop.org/caucus/findmycaucus.php
https://www.sos.state.ia.us/elections/voterreg/pollingplace/search.aspx

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15053 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:10 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going to go to the GOP primaries.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15054 on: December 01, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »
Voting in a caucus can be kind of tough. You'll have to stand around for a bit, then get herded to whatever candidate you're supporting; you don't just fill out a ballot and waltz out the door.

Vote for Gingrich!

benjipwns

« Reply #15055 on: December 01, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Yeah, caucuses are different and they do all sorts of useless party crap to go do with the eventual voting. They always get new people though so you probably wouldn't be the only one just there to vote for President with no interest in the other hours of crap.

Plus you get to watch all the Junior and College Republicans hustle around like they're accomplishing something of value.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15056 on: December 01, 2011, 10:11:49 PM »
I don't understand why states with such large populations of old people decided to make voting so uncomfortable and inconvenient. Bah, but on the other hand old people have enough time on their hands to be inconvenienced and uncomfortable, whereas someone with a job, in school, or with small kids don't.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #15057 on: December 01, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
I went to the Iowa Democrat caucus in 2008 for Obama.  It was a weird and obnoxious process.  I figure I can weather this one fine.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #15058 on: December 01, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
It's a reason to get together and force people to talk to them. If you go to most any non-urban (and even most of those, you just need large slacks in voting period) polling place during non-rush hours like mid-morning or afternoon it'll just be a bunch of old timers standing and sitting around chatting about their medical problems and families. With the one or two younger then elderly pollworkers sitting there with a dead look in their eyes wishing for democracy to end.
I went to the Iowa Democrat caucus in 2008 for Obama.  It was a weird and obnoxious process.  I figure I can weather this one fine.
Ahh, yeah, shouldn't be too different from that in terms of process then.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #15059 on: December 01, 2011, 10:20:25 PM »

Damn, that must have been packed as fuck