Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866120 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16020 on: January 29, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
Ron Paul was aware of and edited/proofread newsletters, The Experiment vindicated: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/ron-paul-signed-off-on-racist-newsletters-sources-say/2012/01/20/gIQAvblFVQ_story.html

I think there are some interesting questions here about how activists can choose to build a coalition (do you weed out the assholes for respectability, or do you keep any ally you can?) but that's getting drowned out by the usual binary way of talking about racism, plus the Ron Paul personality cult.  Either way, Glenn Greenwald's choice of Paul as a cudgel to beat mainstream liberals with is looking pretty silly now.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #16021 on: January 29, 2012, 03:43:47 PM »
Everyone except Paulettes knew it. It's was the 90's, there was no Internet yet and only nutjobs read newletters anyway, so he figured he could get away with it as long as the nutjobs were paying the bills.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #16022 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
Just because Paul recognized and capitalized on the direction of free market bigotry doesn't mean he agrees with it!

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #16023 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »
  :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #16024 on: January 29, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »
Romney’s argument is that even though he pays only 13.9%, he’s really paying something like 45% to 50% because the investment income he lives on comes from corporations. And those corporates also pay taxes. The nominal corporate tax rate is 35%, though of course many pay much lower. But if you add Romney’s rate together with this completely unrelated corporate tax he doesn’t pay, you get 50%, which Romney is now saying is real tax rate. In other words, he’s claiming he pays both taxes.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/01/romney_actually_i_kind_of_pay_50_tax.php?ref=fpblg

This is amazing. Wow  :lol

i think we need a math test for the presidency
duc

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #16025 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
  :wtf :wtf :wtf :wtf

The absolute best part of that ad is that Newt spent six months in Brussels in 1970 working on his dissertation, and cited French-language sources in his paper, so he presumably has a damn good grasp of French himself.
MMA

Oblivion

« Reply #16026 on: January 30, 2012, 12:35:30 AM »
Romney’s argument is that even though he pays only 13.9%, he’s really paying something like 45% to 50% because the investment income he lives on comes from corporations. And those corporates also pay taxes. The nominal corporate tax rate is 35%, though of course many pay much lower. But if you add Romney’s rate together with this completely unrelated corporate tax he doesn’t pay, you get 50%, which Romney is now saying is real tax rate. In other words, he’s claiming he pays both taxes.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/01/romney_actually_i_kind_of_pay_50_tax.php?ref=fpblg

This is amazing. Wow  :lol

i think we need a math test for the presidency

Only stuck up elites bother to learn such fancy subjects like arithmetic.

REAL 'Murricans aren't afraid to answer math equations with COLORS.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16027 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:50 AM »
Sounds about right for the mentality of Paul supporters

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16028 on: January 30, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
"He's just like this down-to-earth dude who just seems like he knows what he's doing," seventh-grader Danielle Heidkamp said.

:lol

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #16029 on: January 30, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
to be fair, Ross Perot easily walked away with the win in my grade school 92 mock election.

which is why we don't give children the right to vote.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16030 on: January 30, 2012, 01:02:17 PM »
to be fair, Ross Perot easily walked away with the win in my grade school 92 mock election.

which is why we don't give children the right to vote.

The Grandpa Effect

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #16031 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:11 PM »
Paul: "Under my Presidency your school will closed ALL THE TIME and the big bad gov't will never, ever make you do schoolwork AT ALL"

Kids: "YAAAAAAAY!"
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16032 on: January 30, 2012, 07:21:46 PM »
Paul: "Under my Presidency your school will closed ALL THE TIME and the big bad gov't will never, ever make you do schoolwork AT ALL"

Kids: "YAAAAAAAY!"

If you want a school, you have to spent your own money to build one. No more of this nanny state bullshit.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16034 on: January 31, 2012, 01:26:45 PM »
Gingrinch is getting desperate, he's running out of Newtmentum in Florida.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16035 on: January 31, 2012, 09:17:11 PM »
Axelrod's twitter feed is rapidly becoming one of my favorites.  Exhibit A:

:rofl
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16036 on: January 31, 2012, 09:41:07 PM »
Odds on a republican or Fox personality bringing up Obama vouching for Michael Vick being rehabilitated?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16037 on: January 31, 2012, 09:46:40 PM »
What am I missing about that picture? All I see is a dude with his dog

context/comparison:
Newt Gingrich gave the Republican presidential front-runner a little nip in the leg on Sunday, reminding voters of an incident from the 1980s when Mitt Romney tied his dog in a kennel to the roof of his car and drove to Canada.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/16/us-usa-campaign-dog-idUSTRE80F04S20120116

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16038 on: January 31, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »

A 14-year-old girl celebrated her birthday with the Maryland’s Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee this afternoon and told lawmakers that it “would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage.” “I really feel bad for the kids who have two parents of the same gender,” she said, “they have no idea what kind of wonderful experiences they miss out on.” “People have the choice to be gay, but I don’t want to be affected by their choice. People say they were just born that way, but I’ve met really nice adults who did change.”

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16039 on: January 31, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
not a fan of kidz giving political statements/used as props

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #16040 on: January 31, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
Looks like Mitt won Florida

Mitt Romney   768,188   46.4%   Winner
Newt Gingrich   529,123   31.9%   
Rick Santorum   221,407   13.4%   
Ron Paul   116,239   7.0%   
Others   21,474   1.3%

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/primary-tracker/Florida/
🍆🍆

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16041 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:21 PM »
I think 14 is old enough to get involved in activism.  It's certainly an age where we're already encouraging kids to think of civics; my freshman English class was assigned to write a letter to the White House on an issue of our choosing.

Of course it'd be nice if she weren't being raised to be a bigot, butwhatcanyado?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Figures she's from Bowie.  Nothing worthwhile there.  Used to be a bowling alley which was notoriously bad.  If you joined a league using an average from Bowie, they'd prorate you because the scores there were so low.
[close]

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #16042 on: February 01, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »
Turnout down double digits

Oblivion

« Reply #16043 on: February 01, 2012, 01:38:49 AM »
Newt's victory speech was certainly better than Romney's.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16044 on: February 01, 2012, 03:41:32 AM »
Another state, another case of turnout being lower than in 2008. That's not to say republicans are fucked in November, far from it. But it's interesting how deflated they are over this crop of shit candidates.

In hindsight 2008 was quite the star studded affair. Clinton and Obama obviously trump everyone else, but let's not forget McCain and Gulianni (and Huckabee)

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16045 on: February 01, 2012, 05:30:39 AM »
08 and 92 were probably the best campaign seasons I have followed.  2016 should be really good again. It will be wide open on both sides.

benjipwns

« Reply #16046 on: February 01, 2012, 09:30:31 AM »
Well, it's not like they vote or will vote for him in numbers he's personally calculated during a "sleep" cycle.

Oblivion

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 09:44:49 AM by Oblivion »

benjipwns

« Reply #16049 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
I really hate the "blame the deficit/economy" stupidity game but how can you grant Obama credit for "cuts" (or blame him for spending) through 2017?!?

What if he loses this year and Romney jacks up defense spending by 4000%?

What if he WINS and gets 67 Senate seats and 300 House seats (work with me here) and they pass $300 trillion over five years in universal health care and free PhD's for everyone?

Unless Ron Paul somehow wins (and even then) does anyone actually expect there to not be a deficit come 2017? We haven't had a "true" surplus since 1957 ffs.

Hell, the Bush Administration projected IN 2007 major surpluses for the next fucking decade. Then we had the recession and TARP and the multiple "stimuluses" and it was all gone in less than a year.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16050 on: February 01, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »
Even more than that I hate the fear mongering that goes on about the deficit and debt.  There's a group of citizens/politicians who act like if it doesn't get fixed this year we will be bankrupt or a third world country by 2013/2014.  Ron Paul believes in the free market so much well hey, the free market is saying that in ten years they believe we'll still be fine and dandy.  The deficit and debt are a problem, but it's not at a critical state right now and it's obnoxious when people try to pretend that it is to further their own political ideologies instead of actually solve problems.  But I shouldn't be surprised I guess.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #16051 on: February 01, 2012, 11:41:36 AM »
I think 14 is old enough to get involved in activism.  It's certainly an age where we're already encouraging kids to think of civics; my freshman English class was assigned to write a letter to the White House on an issue of our choosing.

Of course it'd be nice if she weren't being raised to be a bigot, butwhatcanyado?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Figures she's from Bowie.  Nothing worthwhile there.  Used to be a bowling alley which was notoriously bad.  If you joined a league using an average from Bowie, they'd prorate you because the scores there were so low.
[close]

There's a DuClaw Brewery in Bowie... :drool

I was sent to work-related training a few years back in Landover/Bowie... now Landover, there's a shitty area with nothing there.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #16052 on: February 01, 2012, 11:51:32 AM »
I disagree in one respect because I'm effectively a filthy libertarian and I think the debt is a massive problem and that we, along with Europe, are going to suffer for it stagflation style over the next 10-20 years in the best case scenario.

But the Republicans are at best 20% actual concern over the deficit/debt, 80% trying to tap into the Perot voter who "stole" 1992 from them yet won 1994 over the budget they never balanced. (And then Bush raised non-defense spending 60+%.)

Though thinking about it I guess this puts me in that "Perot voter" category as I just hate this entire trying to say ohh it's Obama's STIMULUS AND OBAMACARE or NOO IT'S BUSH MEDICARE PART D AND IRAQ when both of them are pikers and it's been decades of this shit from Presidents and Congresses from both parties. And we've had the Reagan deficit panel, Gore had "reinventing government", Bush had some budget panels, Obama has had at least two or three, all of them ignored. Hell we can go back to the last of however many Hoover Committees that just shuffled bureaus around.

Politics is just stupid. But it "works."*

*This has been someone with a Masters in Poli Sci states the obvious.

To provide something someone might actually enjoy, here's Gingrich's hilarious speech from last night:

What it doesn't have is Bret Baier immediately after saying something like "Although the Gingrich campaign says '46 states to go', he will not be on the Virginia or Missouri ballots."

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16053 on: February 01, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
The debt problem isn't so much the politicians fault either, but it's the average American's fault.  They kill whoever tries to make the real changes to the system. 

And like I said, it is a problem but it's not so much one that we should destroy our small recovery's momentum by hiking taxes and gutting programs that people are relying on just to get by right now.  It's not so urgent that we can't wait for some stability.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16054 on: February 01, 2012, 12:00:44 PM »
why is the debt a massive problem again?

benjipwns

« Reply #16055 on: February 01, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »
You're right, I was falling into the "politicians must solve all our problems" trap.

It's actually probably not even as deep as "kill whoever tries to make the real changes to the system" when you look at how Congress struggles to crack 20% in approval but more than half are constantly re-elected. It's all those other jerks, not my Congressman!

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16056 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
You're right, I was falling into the "politicians must solve all our problems" trap.

It's actually probably not even as deep as "kill whoever tries to make the real changes to the system" when you look at how Congress struggles to crack 20% in approval but more than half are constantly re-elected. It's all those other jerks, not my Congressman!
True.  They want everyone else to change.  I live in a district in Texas where I cannot stand my representatives but they gets reelected every year.  But hey, this is Texas and I'm not a neocon or libertarian so I don't fit in.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16057 on: February 01, 2012, 12:10:04 PM »
I'm not saying massive debt is a good thing, but the best course of action would be to spend more money and further stimulate the recovery right now. There's no logical reason for why we aren't rebuilding infrastructure right now, on a large scale.

in terms of overall debt, it pretty much fixes itself if congress does nothing - ie let the Bush tax cuts expire and draw down the wars. Some argue this isn't the time to raise taxes on people though, so the Bush tax cuts won't go anywhere for awhile; the CBO just reported that they'll cost 3 trillion dollars from now until 2021.

benjipwns

« Reply #16058 on: February 01, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »
True.  They want everyone else to change.  I live in a district in Texas where I cannot stand my representatives but they gets reelected every year.  But hey, this is Texas and I'm not a neocon or libertarian so I don't fit in.
Well, even in a place like Texas you'll have situations where the districts make it impossible for anyone to challenge. And it's not unheard of to have say a +10 Dem district that votes a Republican into office again and again because he's been a Congressman (or Senator) for 20 years.

My Congressman seems to be a nice enough guy the two times I met him and I'd never vote for him, but his district is drawn so it cuts across three Democratic counties so he gets all the Republicans in those counties. (And the Dems are all thrown into basically 50-50 districts.)

The ballot access laws are really rigged against actual third parties. Along with the campaign finance, gerrymandering, etc. It's one reason I try to encourage people at least here in Michigan to vote third party for the highest race on the ballot. Every vote they get counts towards their future ballot status. Last time I voted I did so for the Constitution Party (U.S. Taxpayers Party) because they were the only one who were not guaranteed ballot status for the next election. I can't speak to other states, but it's one way to have your vote count in Michigan.

It's futile of course, but small victories.
why is the debt a massive problem again?
Not to get into a whole massive debate, but basically it devalues everything.

The one comfort I have is that the American economy is so large, and everyone so much worse and dependent that we can still make a soft landing. Doesn't mean I enjoy the current debt or the future debt that looks insane.

But again I'm in that libertarian/Austrian/Hayek/etc. camp, so feel free to just ignore.

Oops, sorry PD, was writing this post while you made yours:
in terms of overall debt, it pretty much fixes itself if congress does nothing - ie let the Bush tax cuts expire and draw down the wars. Some argue this isn't the time to raise taxes on people though, so the Bush tax cuts won't go anywhere for awhile; the CBO just reported that they'll cost 3 trillion dollars from now until 2021.
Actually the debt can't be addressed by rolling back the Bush tax cuts. Even if we confiscated all the income in the country we couldn't cover the outstanding debt. The debt from Medicare alone is estimated between $40-100 trillion. And that's in a best case scenario.

I think we can do a lot to push that debt farther down the road, even without raising taxes too much or substantially cutting programs, but I simply don't see the political will for it.

(If you meant the deficit, ignore this comment. For five years or so.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:28:10 PM by benjipwns »

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16059 on: February 01, 2012, 12:48:41 PM »
I think he meant deficit.  Even if we keep a low deficit for a while the outstanding debt we currently have will shrink at some point.  And I don't think anyone believes we can keep Medicare as it is.  But the outrageous Medicare costs are so closely tied to how fucked our healthcare system is that we need to reform both to fix it.

benjipwns

« Reply #16060 on: February 01, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »
Yeah, but even the Tea Party is KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE!

That's going to be a hell of a nut to crack.

I mean this was decades ago now:

And there's going to be gobs more of them.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #16061 on: February 01, 2012, 01:16:52 PM »
If Libertarians believe in the in the all powerful free market so much, how do they square their gov't deficit/debt bogeyman with the fact that the price of US bonds are at historic highs?
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16062 on: February 01, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
I mean the deficit, which can be handled by getting rid of the Bush tax cuts and the Iraq/Afghanistan drawdowns

benjipwns

« Reply #16063 on: February 01, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »
I mean the deficit, which can be handled by getting rid of the Bush tax cuts and the Iraq/Afghanistan drawdowns
I figured you did, but I don't think even either of those do so. I know the Bush Tax Cuts don't if you only do the top two brackets, unsure about if you repeal all of them. (Which will result in a 50% tax increase on the lowest bracket.)
If Libertarians believe in the in the all powerful free market so much, how do they square their gov't deficit/debt bogeyman with the fact that the price of US bonds are at historic highs?
Least bad of terrible options? QEx being just another bubble sustaining foolish endeavor?

And we don't "believe in the all powerful free market" it's just we consider it...the least bad of terrible options. Better that everyone on the planet make multiple decisions for themselves than some small elite group make a few decisions for everyone.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16064 on: February 01, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »
And we don't "believe in the all powerful free market" it's just we consider it...the least bad of two options. Better that everyone on the planet make multiple decisions for themselves than some small elite group make a few decisions for everyone.

Forgive the snark, but this seems to be more accurate.

benjipwns

« Reply #16065 on: February 01, 2012, 03:24:58 PM »
Forgive the snark, but this seems to be more accurate.
Could you elaborate with a sentence or two? I don't want to go down the wrong path and miss your point.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #16066 on: February 01, 2012, 03:41:39 PM »
I think he's saying that you're only looking at two extreme options.  a society where there are a rich few powerful and one where the "free market" decides what goes down when there's a sea of options in between the two.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16067 on: February 01, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
When you discuss economic systems, you tend to frame it as a binary choice: free markets (good) or centralized command economies (bad) and to the degree that there other options, they simply lie on a continuum between the two (getting worse as there's more state involvement).

That implies that all (or almost all) aspects of the system should be given over to unregulated private markets, which as policy is indistinguishable from JayDubya's faith-based approach.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16068 on: February 01, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
Even conservatives aren't happy with the Romney gaffe
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/02/conservatives-arent-happy-with-romneys-very-poor-quote-either.php?ref=fpa

Taken in context, it struck me as a typical modern republican tenet, just worded horribly. The rich have help, the poor have help, it's the middle class that needs help, blah blah blah. The problem I had with it was that Romney's policies actively attempt to dismantle the security networks for the poor - which also happens to be used by the middle classic btw.

This guy is a riot. If the economy wasn't such a question mark he'd be marching towards a beatdown in November.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:36:54 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #16069 on: February 01, 2012, 06:45:35 PM »
Well, we already know which "people" Romney is most concerned about.

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16070 on: February 01, 2012, 06:48:14 PM »
If corporations are people, why can't they be sent to jail?
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16071 on: February 01, 2012, 07:15:46 PM »
If corporations are people, why can't they be sent to jail?

Or better yet, executed?  :teehee
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #16072 on: February 01, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
Or speak?
©ZH

« Reply #16073 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:29 PM »
Washington state senate votes on the gay marriage bill tonight at 6pm. If it passes, it just needs the governor's signature, and she's in support of the bill.

http://tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwliveplayer&eventID=2012020049

:rock
野球

Dickie Dee

« Reply #16074 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
 :elephant :supergay :elephant

woot!
___

Oblivion

« Reply #16075 on: February 01, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Washington state senate votes on the gay marriage bill tonight at 6pm. If it passes, it just needs the governor's signature, and she's in support of the bill.

http://tvw.org/index.php?option=com_tvwliveplayer&eventID=2012020049

:rock

Congratulations, you just put Newt's marriage in (further) jeopardy.  :'(

« Reply #16076 on: February 01, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
Shit, my marriage will explode in a little bit, too!
野球

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16077 on: February 01, 2012, 09:11:16 PM »
One step closer to marrying my toaster.  DON'T JUDGE OUR LOVE
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16079 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »

matthews going full blown comrade :o