Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866184 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Truly a beacon of forward thinking policy initiatives there.  I'm just upset they got a trial- go ahead and shoot them.
yar

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Romney: Israel’s Superior Economy To Palestinians Result Of ‘Culture,’ ‘Providence’

Mitt Romney offered up a curious assessment of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at a fundraiser in Jerusalem on Sunday, suggesting that Palestinian suffering — rather than an obstacle to peace — was actually an encouraging sign of Israel’s greatness.

“I was thinking this morning as I prepared to come into this room of a discussion I had across the country in the United States about my perceptions about differences between countries,” Romney told a group of high-dollar donors at a fundraiser in Jerusalem’s King David Hotel. “As you come here and you see the GDP per capita, for instance, in Israel which is about $21,000 dollars, and compare that with the GDP per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian Authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita, you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality.”

As the Associated Press noted, Romney actually got the numbers very wrong: Israel’s GDP per capita was $31,000 in 2011 and Palestinians’ per capita GDP was just $1,500. Romney at no point mentioned that the Palestinian territories have for decades been occupied without sovereign control, where residents face significant restrictions on movement and employment.

“It is a racist statement and this man doesn’t realize that the Palestinian economy cannot reach its potential because there is an Israeli occupation,” Saeb Erakat, a senior Palestinian Authority official, told the AP.

Romney attributed the gap in success in part to Israel’s “culture.”

“Culture makes all the difference,” Romney said. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.” Among them, he cited “the hand of providence.”

Romney’s campaign noted that the candidate has used variations of his “culture” theory of economics before in speeches unrelated to Israel, attributing his thinking to a book by Harvard history professor David Landes. Nonetheless, Romney’s opening remarks left little ambiguity that he was making a direct comparison between Israel and the Palestinian territories. For context, we’ll provide the full remarks at the bottom.

While American lawmakers, including President Obama have hugged Israel close for decades as part of a longstanding alliance, Romney’s comments appearing to revel in Palestinian poverty were highly unusual. President George W. Bush, for example, described Palestinian economic troubles as a challenge that needed to be overcome en route to statehood rather than a sign of Israel’s moral superiority and pledged aid to that effect. Even as Bush supported economically destructive measures like travel checkpoints, he characterized them as difficult decisions that were necessary for security reasons and acknowledged their impact on Palestinians’ day to day living.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/romney-israel-palestine-gdp-culture.php?ref=fpa

oh boy

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
They have more money, so clearly they are superior to Palestinian dirtpeople. That's the principle that has guided Mitt's life so far, ain't gonna change it now. :tophat
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

If only the Palestinians would pull themselves up by their own boot straps!

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
more like sandal straps amirite
___

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Romney: Israel’s Superior Economy To Palestinians Result Of ‘Culture,’ ‘Providence’

Mitt Romney offered up a curious assessment of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict at a fundraiser in Jerusalem on Sunday, suggesting that Palestinian suffering — rather than an obstacle to peace — was actually an encouraging sign of Israel’s greatness.

“I was thinking this morning as I prepared to come into this room of a discussion I had across the country in the United States about my perceptions about differences between countries,” Romney told a group of high-dollar donors at a fundraiser in Jerusalem’s King David Hotel. “As you come here and you see the GDP per capita, for instance, in Israel which is about $21,000 dollars, and compare that with the GDP per capita just across the areas managed by the Palestinian Authority, which is more like $10,000 per capita, you notice such a dramatically stark difference in economic vitality.”

As the Associated Press noted, Romney actually got the numbers very wrong: Israel’s GDP per capita was $31,000 in 2011 and Palestinians’ per capita GDP was just $1,500. Romney at no point mentioned that the Palestinian territories have for decades been occupied without sovereign control, where residents face significant restrictions on movement and employment.

“It is a racist statement and this man doesn’t realize that the Palestinian economy cannot reach its potential because there is an Israeli occupation,” Saeb Erakat, a senior Palestinian Authority official, told the AP.

Romney attributed the gap in success in part to Israel’s “culture.”

“Culture makes all the difference,” Romney said. “And as I come here and I look out over this city and consider the accomplishments of the people of this nation, I recognize the power of at least culture and a few other things.” Among them, he cited “the hand of providence.”

Romney’s campaign noted that the candidate has used variations of his “culture” theory of economics before in speeches unrelated to Israel, attributing his thinking to a book by Harvard history professor David Landes. Nonetheless, Romney’s opening remarks left little ambiguity that he was making a direct comparison between Israel and the Palestinian territories. For context, we’ll provide the full remarks at the bottom.

While American lawmakers, including President Obama have hugged Israel close for decades as part of a longstanding alliance, Romney’s comments appearing to revel in Palestinian poverty were highly unusual. President George W. Bush, for example, described Palestinian economic troubles as a challenge that needed to be overcome en route to statehood rather than a sign of Israel’s moral superiority and pledged aid to that effect. Even as Bush supported economically destructive measures like travel checkpoints, he characterized them as difficult decisions that were necessary for security reasons and acknowledged their impact on Palestinians’ day to day living.
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/07/romney-israel-palestine-gdp-culture.php?ref=fpa

oh boy

Remember, folks, Boogie has a futon in his spare bedroom AND a couch and loveseat in the living room up for auction as of November 7, 2012!
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
If only the Palestinians would pull themselves up by their own boot straps!

It's a surprisingly common sentiment.  A ton of people just have no idea how things work in Israel and the occupied territories, and assume that Palestinians are poor/disorganized cause of general Arab backwardness or something.  A conservative poster here (TA?) said Palestinians need to "assimilate" to modern Israeli society, rather than resist it.

The only problem is that they're not allowed to assimilate.  Palestinians don't get Israeli citizenship or the same rights and privileges.  They're at the mercy of a government in which they are not represented, which dictates their freedom of movement, land development, access to utilities, etc.  It's a government that subjects them to collective punishment and will not grant them either independence or equal rights.

I think this is a big reason Israel takes a ton of shit in the international community.  Whatever you think of the legitimacy of other independence movements, you're by and large talking about people who are citizens of the country they're trying to secede from.  Tibetans get the benefits of being Chinese, Catalans get the benefits of being Spanish, etc.  And while I'm sure there's very real institutionalized bias and racism in a lot of those countries, it's nothing compared to the two-class system which is enforced by statute in Israel.  Hence the use of "apartheid" by critics; it might not be underpinned by the same type of racist philosophy, but in practice it's pretty comparable.

Anyways Romney's an ass.

Phoenix Dark

In short, they wouldn't be allowed to buy the bootstraps in the first place.

Unfortunately major politicians could not argue that without being accused to antisemitism. And it certainly doesn't help having a guy who could very well be president demonizing them on a global scale.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Remember, folks, Boogie has a futon in his spare bedroom AND a couch and loveseat in the living room up for auction as of November 7, 2012!

I'm going to start the bidding at 700 Canadian Pesos and 3(three) God Save the Queens.
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/07/31/13049520-never-let-em-see-you-sweat

After several questions involving Romney's missteps on the trip, including comments he made in Israel, Romney spokesman Rick Gorka shot back.

"Show some respect," he said after being challenged for not taking questions, according to pool reports.

"We haven't had another chance to ask a question," a New York Times reporter said.

"Kiss my ass," Gorka said back. "This is a Holy site for the Polish people. Show some respect."

:lol :lol :lol

:polandcry
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
The Rush Limbaugh Show is funnier than Saturday Night Live.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Romney walks back to the Palestinian culture nonsense, but not before Jennifer Rubin could give us this gem:

If this is the Romney we’re going to see during the balance of the campaign Obama is in deep trouble. This Romney is unapologetic
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/romney-frankly-has-been-at-his-best/2012/07/31/gJQAbWrSMX_blog.html?wprss=rss_opinions

can't make this up

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Strong rhetoric and tough talk with nothing to back it up is exactly what we need to get this country back on track.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

Pretty interesting. Romney hasn't released any information on what particular tax deductables and breaks he would cut, and that study assumes many would be aimed at lower income families (such as tax credits for low income families). It also doesn't take spending cuts into account, thus solely focusing on loopholes Romney will allegedly cut. Although given Romney and the republicans recent moves, it's likely those spending cuts would come from programs that assist lower and middle income folks.

He's been running for president for a year and hasn't released a single detail on this, which just might have saved him from this nasty headline/report.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
why couldn't the TDKR shooter have gone into a Chick-Fil-A instead
AMC

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

(Image removed from quote.)

I see nothing wrong with this. Rush's stance on this issue is consistent and well established: he believes strongly in the importance traditional marriage. He should know as he's been through the process four times.

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
Thats the first time I've seen an actual picture of Rush.
bent

Mupepe

• Icon
Had a friend at work keep talking about the CFA thing.  Ugh.  He was going on about how the CEO was just stating facts from the bible.  While I'm not in any outrage over CFA's affiliations and I personally don't care where people choose to spend their money, I understand the concerns and why people are offended.  He just kept going on about traditional family values and I kept making this face  :-\ while saying "I don't care what people choose to believe" and trying to ignore him.  Yeesh.  I never knew and didn't expect him to think like that. 

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I'm surprised the CFA thing is having the legs it is having.

I wanted to get some CFA and at both of the locations I checked out, there were long lines on a weekday afternoon.  Probably the best business decision the CEO ever made.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

I wanted to get some CFA and at both of the locations I checked out, there were long lines on a weekday afternoon.  Probably the best business decision the CEO ever made.

The GAF thread is quite enraged that CFA is doing well. They're used to these types of things ending in the other side giving up, or being shamed to irrelevance. Not gonna happen here.

I sure as hell wouldn't have eaten there yesterday, but I'd have no hesitation of buying food from a local franchise - but there are none around here

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
im so cool i boycotted chick-fil-a years before all these schmos hopped on board
pcp

Himu

The fact that Christians are pitchin' in this much support for Chik-Fil-A instead of doing this for like, I dunno, a food bank, is pretty telling!
IYKYK

Himu

im so cool i boycotted chick-fil-a years before all these schmos hopped on board

GIMME DAP
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
you mean I can get fat and demonstrate my hate for Others with the same minimal effort?  Yes please!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:26:06 PM by Barry Egan »

Phoenix Dark

While walking through the safari desert you witness a small child starving to death. A CFA is a few yards away; it is the only restaurant for miles, and you have no food on you. Do you purchase the CFA, therefore financing bigotry, to feed the child? Or let the child starve to keep your purchasing dollars unsullied by hate

Himu

IYKYK

bdoughty

While walking through the safari desert you witness a small child starving to death. A CFA is a few yards away; it is the only restaurant for miles, and you have no food on you. Do you purchase the CFA, therefore financing bigotry, to feed the child? Or let the child starve to keep your purchasing dollars unsullied by hate

You get her a free water and then act like the biggest douche on the planet. Post it on youtube, delete it when people call you an asshole. Then find out that people have saved it, goes viral and BAM! You lose your JOB.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/02/idUS264370+02-Aug-2012+MW20120802

Kudos to the lady at the register for keeping her cool.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:57:56 PM by bdoughty »

Phoenix Dark

That video describes GAF. She had nothing to do with their stance

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer

The GAF thread is quite enraged that CFA is doing well. They're used to these types of things ending in the other side giving up, or being shamed to irrelevance. Not gonna happen here.

I sure as hell wouldn't have eaten there yesterday, but I'd have no hesitation of buying food from a local franchise - but there are none around here

In a few weeks, people will move on.  Then people will try to spin the inevitable apathy into victory.
🍆🍆

bdoughty

That video describes GAF. She had nothing to do with their stance

Yeah pretty much, minus the people afraid to dare post an opposing view in fear of being called a bigot, get banned, attacked like a rabbit by a pack of wolves, etc.

I could care less what anyone does in their own time. I have no issue with civil ceremonies for gay couples.  That said I do not find homosexuality to be a normal practice based on my christian upbringing and personal belief and for that I would automatically get labelled a bigot.  Well this bigot just spent a few hundred dollars at Amazon.com, AFTER the $2 million donation was announced by the CEO to assist gay marriage.  The damn intolerance on both sides just continues to astound. Group A wants to attack Chick-Fil-A.  Group B wants to cancel their Amazon.com accounts. Put me in Group C who just wants good customer service and pricing.

Also could someone in the Chicago area tell me what exactly "Chicago morals" are? The people that deserve the most hatred are the two mayors, Ren and Stimpy. You know you picked the wrong side of the argument when Mayor Bloomberg takes the opposite side and people, especially conservatives, agree with his point.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:42:03 PM by bdoughty »

Himu

You find a completely natural and normal event that occurs in all animals to be not normal? That's fine, but people will call you bigot - and rightly so - if you espouse the view that homosexuals should not marry, for religious reasons or otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:45:32 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

bdoughty

You find a completely natural and normal event that occurs in all mammals to be not normal?

Depends on what each person defines as a natural and normal event.  I find it to be neither. To me natural and normal is that we are all put on this earth to procreate.  We simply share a difference of opinion. 

Freyj

You find a completely natural and normal event that occurs in all mammals to be not normal?
To me natural and normal is that we are all put on this earth to procreate.

Procreation is a big problem, what with that shortage of unwanted children.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.

Depends on what each person defines as a natural and normal event.  I find it to be neither. To me natural and normal is that we are all put on this earth to procreate.  We simply share a difference of opinion.

In other words, we're not talking about what is objectively natural in the sense that it occurs with abundance in nature but rather what you specifically think is icky.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
wrong thread.
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
That said I do not find homosexuality to be a normal practice based on my christian upbringing and personal belief and for that I would automatically get labelled a bigot.

So just because you made a moral judgment about someone, someone would then make a moral judgment about you?  That's pretty unfair.

Also, you'd find yourself as an ostracized minority for being out of sync with the community's views on sexuality?  Sounds terrible!  If only gay people knew what that feeling was like, maybe they'd be a bit more empathetic.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

There have been evolutionary justifications for homosexuality, though:
http://phys.org/news184507170.html

and of course there are gay animals!
^_^

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

A lot of traits that would intuitively work against procreation keep getting passed down through evolution. It's not so straightforward.

I mean, obviously it's heterosexual people who are making gays so that right there tells you a lot.

But yes, the man in that youtube video is a massive twat. I'll agree with you on that.

bdoughty

and of course there are gay animals!

Really? Do you want to go there?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/9172937/Dolphins-resort-to-rape.html

Guess I am bigot when it comes to rapists based on the logic of if animals do it, then it must be okay.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
The point is biologically, those preferences are wired into us/them/animals/your momma.

Rape is something that we abandoned as a practice when we decided to make social contracts and define morality and all that jazz. If you want to argue that ANYBODY is being hurt by gay dudes getting down, or getting married, then you're an idiot.

Now that you've been called an idiot, you can go ahead and take back that argument. You know that it's a stupid compare rape with homosexuality.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra

We were all put on this Earth to procreate. That is the single reason for any of our existence. So that must mean:

-You are against marriage...of ANY kind...since marriage limits our ability to procreate
-Octomom must be your personal hero, since she's procreated far better than most other people.
-Jesus. Wow, he didn't procreate at all. What a failure. Didn't even accomplish what it is we were put here to do.
WDW

bdoughty

I was not making a comparison between rape and homosexuality. It was meant in jest to the poster who simply left the comment,  "and of course there are gay animals!" Like that was supposed to validate homosexuality. Dogs lick their crotch and eat their poo. Not exactly what I would use as a go-to to defend homosexuality.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am an idiot.  Do you feel better? Goodie.
[close]

Oblivion

Oscar, why do you hate America?

:usacry

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Chik-Fil-A has had more than a dozen lawsuits against it over employment discrimination.  Not just gay people, but a woman who was allegedly fired after getting pregnant so she'd have more time to be a good mom.  So, their views definitely filter down into the day to day operation of the chain.
yar

Himu

Oscar, Christians try to have a monopoly on morality in regards to EVERYTHING.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/21/opinion/brown-kicked-out-for-saying-vagina/index.html

Well, not every Christian. But man, a giant majority have no clue what freedom of religion means. They think it literally means that Christianity - apparently the only religion or religious view! - has the freedom to do what it wants, not that it merely means that you can practice any religion you choose without fear of being burned on a stake for being an infidel.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 12:03:53 PM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Well, not every Christian. But man, a giant majority have no clue what freedom of religion means. They think it literally means that Christianity - apparently the only religion or religious view! - has the freedom to do what it wants, not that it merely means that you can practice any religion you choose without fear of being burned on a stake for being an infidel.

I've got a friend who thinks like that. You'd seriously get farther talking to a brick wall.

Every time I call him on it, I get responses like "I'm struggling with it" or "I want to believe that it's the right way."
野球

Himu

CULTURAL PLURALITY? WHAT IS THAT?!?!?!?!?!
IYKYK

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
So when will the hard right realize that historically Romney is not the twat being presented in this electorial campaign. He is not without his faults of course but the actions and behaviors he has displayed in the past are quite different. I don't think the world will end if elected but I do think the plebs that support him now are going to be super pissed off, much like the people that voted Obama in thinking he was an actual liberal.
reckt

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
so did we mention that romney didn't pay his taxes for a fucking decade itt yet?  because ive walking around with the biggest boner since i heard that
pcp

Phoenix Dark

That has not been confirmed, pretty hard to discuss as a rumor.

I doubt Romney is dumb enough to run for president with that in his closet. Also he gave McCain's camp 20 years of taxes iirc, so they'd know. If that was true, why not leak the information in the primaries to destroy Romney/save the party?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
That has not been confirmed, pretty hard to discuss as a rumor.

I doubt Romney is dumb enough to run for president with that in his closet. Also he gave McCain's camp 20 years of taxes iirc, so they'd know. If that was true, why not leak the information in the primaries to destroy Romney/save the party?

These are Republicans.  They probably view it as a plus.  I doubt he did anything illegal, probably just gamed the system.  Plus, the choices were either Romney or a disgraced former Speaker of the House who left his first wife while she was in treatment for cancer, or a former Pennsylvania Senator that lost reelection by double digits and whose name is synonymous with butt cum.

Also, this was fucking brilliant by Harry Reid.  The whole not releasing his tax returns already has people kind of suspicious of Romney.  Now, either he doesn't release the returns and has to deal with this up until the election, or he releases the returns and is seen as caving.  I guarantee you there's shit in there that he doesn't want people to see.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:58:19 PM by Creepy Old Guy »
yar

Phoenix Dark

Nah bro, not paying taxes for ten years would be a death nail. I find it hard to believe GOP operatives wouldn't eventually find out about that and stage an intervention during the primary - whether that meant going to Chris Christie and presenting the info to him, or someone else.

In 2008, John Edwards' camp was ready to expose his affair if he managed to get close to the nomination. I'd imagine Romney has payed 13-15% in taxes over the last couple decades. That's bad, but not nearly as bad as not paying any taxes at all.

Romney ain't releasing shit either way though. Interesting, Mark Halperin has claimed the Obama camp has a big bomb in their pocket for Romney, and are just waiting to deploy it

Anonymous CNN Source Says Harry Reid's Anonymous Romney Tax Source Is a Good Source

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/harry-reid-romney-tax-source-_n_1735729.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

I wonder how long they can keep this going?
野球