Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866147 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
I'm severely lttp but I just saw this on gaf

What is this shit? The first half wasn't bad I guess, but the second falls back to the typical white America nostalgia bullshit for a time when everything was perfect and those people lived over there. This country has never been perfect, or particularly great when it comes to treating its citizens like citizens - at least not until rather recently

If you had given me a transcript of the second half of that rant and told me Glenn Beck said it, I'd probably believe you

Mandark

• Icon
A lot of reviewers and bloggers have been piling on The Newsroom.  Emily Nussbaum just murdered it in her New Yorker review.

Oblivion

I feel like I should like it, but I'm not really too hot on it. Seems very disjointed, at least compared to something like the West Wing.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
A lot of reviewers and bloggers have been piling on The Newsroom.  Emily Nussbaum just murdered it in her New Yorker review.

that review made me not even bother.  the wonkette recaps have been mind boggling as well.
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
I think Sorkin's tics have grated on people long enough that there were the makings of a backlash, and hoo boy does it sound like he's indulging in all his worst habits.

Never watched the West Wing seriously myself, but I did like Charlie Wilson's War.  There was also relatively little moralizing in that one, and more mischievous sausage-making.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Sorkin on a leash can be entertaining but from everything I've read/heard about Newsroom that doesn't seem to be the case.
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I think Sorkin's tics have grated on people long enough that there were the makings of a backlash, and hoo boy does it sound like he's indulging in all his worst habits.

Never watched the West Wing seriously myself, but I did like Charlie Wilson's War.  There was also relatively little moralizing in that one, and more mischievous sausage-making.

oh and plenty of it.

Himu

PD we've been talking about how shitty newsroom is for weeks. where have you been?
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
"A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #18068 on: August 07, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
I wish we had trade programs in the school system. Pushing college on everyone isn't the best idea.

Yeah, it's not the most valuable use of HS time if they can't afford college. And HS on its own isn't prepping anyone for an actual job...

Himu

Some crazy PSA videos from my home city of Houston!

THIS DOESN'T SEEM LIKE A BAD IDEA AT ALL
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

I got through about two West Wing episodes before I just had to stop. I've heard so much good stuff about the show, and I've seen great clips from it...but the dialogue was just too much. You can tell this guy sits around determining how people should talk in a perfect world where no one had to be politically correct or polite. It just comes off as too ridiculous.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Today's athletes just aren't jingoistic enough, what happened to the days when the Olympics were just about how awesome American was?

©@©™

Himu

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

Today's athletes just aren't jingoistic enough, what happened to the days when the Olympics were just about how awesome American was?

Most of them didn't chose their outfits god dammit. Also, wearing US colors doesn't make you patriotic, jesus fuck

Even with the 90mil deal, I feel bad for Gabby Douglas. Getting shitted on by black people over her hair, now by distinguished mentally-challenged fellows over what she wears?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
WHY DOESN'T GABBY HAVE AN AMERICAN FLAG TATTOOED TO HER FOREHEAD DOES SHE HATE AMERICA???????
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
THIS IS WHY CHINA'S WINNING BECAUSE GABBY WASN'T DOING HER ROUTINE WITH AN AMERICAN FLAG DRAPED ACROSS HER SHOULDERS BECAUSE OBAMA TOLD HER NOT TO
dog

Oblivion

"If Obamacare is in fact not repealed, we will find tactics to shallow out any Obamacare costs and core strategies to pass that cost onto consumers in order to protect our shareholders best interests," Schnatter vowed.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/08/papa-johns-obamacare-will-raise-pizza-prices-131331.html

Who the hell says something like this?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
"If Obamacare is in fact not repealed, we will find tactics to shallow out any Obamacare costs and core strategies to pass that cost onto consumers in order to protect our shareholders best interests," Schnatter vowed.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/08/papa-johns-obamacare-will-raise-pizza-prices-131331.html

RICH ASSHOLES
MMA

Bebpo

People who are oblivious and about to be fired.

Robo

RICH ASSHOLES

"Our best estimate is that the Obamacare will cost 11 to 14 cents per pizza, or 15 to 20 cents per order from a corporate basis," Schnatter said.

LOL, okay.
obo

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Yep, Papa Johns just priced me out of the market with that hike. Good jon, Papa Johns.

THey probably won't be able to run any Superbowl ads this year.  :violin
©ZH

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
15 cents? For what? I mean, other than a modern, first-world health care system.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Papa Johns pizza sucks anyway.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
15 cents? For what? I mean, other than a modern, first-world health care system.

If we got rid of the FDA, I bet we could shave over 20 cents off a Papa John's pizza and the extra ebola is no charge!
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
"HELLO, I WOULD LIKE A WORKS WITH RAINFOREST AIDS.  NO, WAIT.  MAKE THAT EXTRA RAINFOREST AIDS!"
yar

Phoenix Dark

FIGHT ME

I love their pizza

Human Snorenado

• Icon

FIGHT ME

I love their pizza

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Of course you do, it's a large chain so why wouldn't you?  I swear, you must have the shittiest local places in the world to be like this.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I know discussion has moved on but I just wanted to say that I never really liked anything Aaron Sorkin has been involved in.
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber

I'd guess someone that runs a business and is honest about what government-imposed additions to their bottom line always mean: higher prices.

Fuck off.  There are plenty of businesses GLAD to implement modern health-care for their workforce. This guys is just being an asshole because "meh, less money for our richie riches."
püp

Phoenix Dark

FIGHT ME

I love their pizza

Of course you do, it's a large chain so why wouldn't you?  I swear, you must have the shittiest local places in the world to be like this.

DUDE I live in Michigan. I can't go to many local pizza places because we barely have any. Sure there are some great places downtown, but when I get home late and don't want to order Chinese, I hit up the local Papa Johns.

excuuuse me for not living in New York or Chicago  :maf :'(

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I live in Buttfuck, NC, a small mountain town.  We have 3 awesome local pizza places within 5 miles of my house; one is within walking distance.  I just think you're not trying :P
yar

Phoenix Dark

I actually got a $5 hot-n-ready for Little Caesars today  :lol

Oblivion

I'd guess someone that runs a business and is honest about what government-imposed additions to their bottom line always mean: higher prices.

It's not that he wants to pass the costs onto consumers so much as it seems this fucker is actually gleeful about the prospect of doing so.

Human Snorenado

• Icon

:fbm
yar

We've got awesome pizza places around my house. We also have Garlic Jim's, which is just as cheap as Papa Johns, but way better.
野球

Oblivion

:fbm

I get those fairly often when I'm at work, but at least I acknowledge that they're awful.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I live in Buttfuck, NC, a small mountain town.  We have 3 awesome local pizza places within 5 miles of my house; one is within walking distance.  I just think you're not trying :P

There's 3 or 4 local Italian joints not far from where I live that also do pizza, plus a local pizza place that's a deeply ingrained part of my childhood.

However, going a bit farther [70 miles versus 15], there's this new chain called Pie Five, which is basically a Subway restaurant that makes pizzas instead of sub sandwiches. It's really great. You pick you crust, you sauces, your meat, and your toppings. Then they throw it on this conveyor and it pops out the other side of an oven in about a minute, all cooked and ready to be eaten. Really decent prices too.
dog

So we've got a primary election today in Washington state. However, the state Supreme Court final elections are on this ballot.

Steve Gonzalez, the incumbent judge, who has the endorsement of pretty much everyone, is running against Bruce Danielson, a lawyer who is pretty much unqualified and not endorsed by anyone.

http://vote.wa.gov/results/current/Supreme-Court-Justice-Position-8_ByCounty.html
Gonzalez is winning, but what is really sad is that Danielson is winning in 29 counties state wide. How much of this is due to his white sounding name? A WHOLE FUCKING LOT.

My Uncle is also running for Secretary of State, but I don't think he'll make it through the primary. He'll probably come in third (only the top two vote-getters move on here).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:38:45 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist

FIGHT ME

I love their pizza

DUDE I live in Michigan. I can't go to many local pizza places because we barely have any. Sure there are some great places downtown, but when I get home late and don't want to order Chinese, I hit up the local Papa Johns.

Don't you live in a college town?

Phoenix Dark

FIGHT ME

I love their pizza

Don't you live in a college town?

Yea

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Well then it makes sense that you'd have a few decent pizza places.

Brehvolution

However, going a bit farther [70 miles versus 15], there's this new chain called Pie Five, which is basically a Subway restaurant that makes pizzas instead of sub sandwiches. It's really great. You pick you crust, you sauces, your meat, and your toppings. Then they throw it on this conveyor and it pops out the other side of an oven in about a minute, all cooked and ready to be eaten. Really decent prices too.

Sounds amazing! :drool
©ZH

Trurl

I live in rural county in Ohio.  There are probably 7-8 local pizza places in the county but they are so bad that the local Domino's outclasses them all.  To get a pizza better than Domino's I have to travel 30 miles.

Domino's isn't necessarily bad, just painfully mediocre.  Just about every other pizza place near me serves pizza that is actually kind of gross.

Phoenix Dark

The best place I've been to is Aubree's, which is a Michigan franchise. Great pizza and they have lots of local beer, although I've never tried any of that

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Not only do I have a shit-ton of awesome pizza places nearby, but there's also the chance to run into Cajole there (true story, he spotted me once at a local pizza joint!)
^_^

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
He was probably responding to the beacon you put out on OKC.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/baltimore-insider-blog/bal-obama-campaign-throwing-the-wire-fundraiser-20120723,0,6590364.story

:rofl :rofl

Obama you dunce

Obama is a hypocrite. He's going to pimp his "favorite show" The Wire, and then have the audacity to laugh at the very concept of legalizing marijuana? Really? Obama has far more harsh drug laws than even Bush and he tries to raise a fundraiser for a television show that was very, very anti-war on drugs? I hope David Simon calls him out on his shit.
🍆🍆

Himu

:rofl

The Wire was against the war on drugs? Must have missed that, for me it was a show about social problems and it didnt send any clear cut message about what was wrong, it just showed stuff "as is".

:rofl Kosma
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:53:15 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Obama has said his favorite character from the show is Omar, the gun-toting, pajama-wearing, stick-up man.

Somebody needs to make an "Obama's coming!" gif.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Wait, where do you live in Michigan again?

Phoenix Dark

Wait, where do you live in Michigan again?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ypsilanti
[close]

I'm rather close to downtown, where there are a few nice places like Aubree's. But Papa Johns is closer

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
I've never really understood why that area and its famous neighbor are so seemingly dead in many respects.

Well okay, maybe I do.

Though I was probably spoiled with East Lansing.

bdoughty

Pizza Elitists, gotta love em.  Try living in a small town where you are lucky to even have a Pizza Hut.  Red Barron deep dish frozen pizzas, now that is good eating. I also enjoy Totinos and Jenos.

Where is all the outrage at Romney killing that lady with cancer, who just happened to have her own insurance and died 5 years after the closing? Freaking CNN was able to connect the dots.

Of course it was a super PAc SO WE All know Obamas camp was not involved.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/08/team-obama-says-they-dont-story-of-man-who-stars-of-131462.html

Nope not one bit.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:08:29 PM by bdoughty »

Brehvolution

Cry moar?

I really don't think conservatives have any credibility bitching about factualness in political ads. I'm sure they think they do.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:16:19 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Team Romney's already got this one covered, bdough. They issued a response that if she had lived in Massachusetts she would have been covered by Romneycare, which is nothing like Obamacare, which is bad. Problem solved; Obama annihilated.
©@©™