Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866308 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19200 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:42 PM »
I've pretty much retired from politics threads but even still I'll dip into to admit how both happy and surprised at how much Romney has been in self destruction mode recently. He doesn't seem to understand that the things you go on Rush Limbaugh and say are different than the things you say to actual Americans as general discourse.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19201 on: September 30, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

wow

Oblivion

« Reply #19202 on: September 30, 2012, 07:10:16 PM »
What, he's only been pimping his plan for a mere 3 years.  :'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19203 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:35 PM »
"It's revenue neutral."

"It's about you keeping more of your money in your pocketbook."

Now, how is that supposed to work?
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19204 on: September 30, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »
Closing secret Loopholes, duh. Paul Ryan has given you people all you need to know.
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #19205 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:18 AM »
Yahoo News had that Ryan quote in their headline. Hopefully that'll get a lot of use from the Obama campaign.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19206 on: October 01, 2012, 03:34:00 AM »
dog

Himu

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:45:33 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19209 on: October 01, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
Has my brother Ta-Nehisi Coates commented on that article? btw I didn't read it and skipped the debate here, but lemme give you my two cents anyway. If people can't vote for Obama based on civil liberties, so be it. I just hope they use the same standard for all major candidates, meaning they'll likely never vote to re-elect a modern president because drones are here to stay.

Are there people who instead base their votes on issues that are more immediate to them, like taxes, jobs, food stamps, etc? Yes, and they often vote practically. But I'd imagine someone who writes for The Atlantic isn't worrying about that stuff, and can instead vote based on whatever is the most important issue to them.

ie I plead the Stony Masonth

Himu

« Reply #19210 on: October 01, 2012, 12:00:57 PM »
Coates hasn't commented on the original article. Also, your argument is a strawman.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19211 on: October 01, 2012, 12:03:42 PM »
ok

Himu

« Reply #19212 on: October 01, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
In any case, I think the original article and his follow up and all the rebuttals in between are worth reading.

From the latest article:

Many more correspondents disagreed with the notion of dealbreakers. They insisted that it's irrational to have them in a two-party system, where the proper way to vote is to choose the least bad option.

Although that isn't my theory of voting, it is a perfectly defensible one. My problem is that I just don't believe very many Democrats actually hold it. As I noted at the beginning of my piece, "Tell certain liberals and progressives that you can't bring yourself to vote for a candidate who opposes gay rights, or who doesn't believe in Darwinian evolution, and they'll nod along. Say that you'd never vote for a politician caught using the 'n'-word, even if you agreed with him on more policy issues than his opponent, and the vast majority of left-leaning Americans would understand."
Neither the left-of-center coalition nor the social circles of its various members include many Pakistani families from North Warzistan. Saying the deaths of innocent children there is wrong and regrettable, but not a dealbreaker, is a much more comfortable thing to do on a typical left-leaning blog than saying you'd vote for a president despite the fact that he uses vile anti-Mexican slurs.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19213 on: October 01, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
Conor is a total and complete stooge for the Koch brothers, and as has been pointed out you are dwelling in a pretend land where your bullshit is apparently gumdrops and sunbeams to your eyes, himumu.  Grow the fuck up and settle for the least shitty option available to you- it's what being an adult is all about, you self-entitled fuckwad.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19214 on: October 01, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19215 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »
Ugh that evolution/nicca comparison.

First, it's a straw man.  "I've talked to liberals who said this, but now other liberals are saying something else.  Since I can assign you other people's opinions via the Transitive Property of Political Bullshitting, doesn't that make you a hypocrite?"

Second, the liberal who drew that line would be wrong.  Denying badly needed support to those who can least afford it because of what the guy says about evolution?  As much as creationism offends my effete coastal sensibilities, that's the definition of the privileged selfishness that Loomis was talking about.

Third, it's pretty much cost-free for a Democrat to draw that line in the sand, because they know there's a 99.9% chance they'll never have to think about crossing it.  A liberal in 2012 saying they won't vote for a racist, homophobic, young Earther is like a vegan "boycotting" Chik Fil-A.  Context makes all the difference, and when your chosen issue is one where you're opposing a deeply entrenched consensus, then you are making a decision to abstain from mainstream electoral politics over the long haul, which is a pretty big f'n deal when you're reckoning with how to change policy.

What I haven't heard in all this discussion is a plausible alternative route for activists.  "I'm not voting for Obama, cause he does Bad Things."  So instead, you're going to do X, which will lead to Y through the mechanism Z.  Please solve for the variables, specify any exogenous parameters, and try to stay within the historical data.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19216 on: October 01, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
I'm writing in Mickey Mouse. Take that, Obummer!
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19217 on: October 01, 2012, 01:31:43 PM »
You would have to assume that the drone war would only escalate under GOP control. That's why they aren't trashing the president on it, they're just trying to point out liberal hypocrisy. And who knows more about liberal position than conservatives. They'll even make one up about you to fit a narrative.
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19218 on: October 01, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
It would be nice if the choice in November was "Drones" and "No drones," but it isn't. At best it's "Drones" and "Drones." Voting against Obama because of drone attacks is pointless because drone attacks aren't even an issue. Obama's not talking about them, Romney's not talking about them. They're accepted reality by both parties and the views of both candidates on the issue are virtually identical. So, you've only got two real options here if you want to stop drone attacks: get both candidates talking about them and hope that their views eventually diverge or you can start pushing it as an issue at the local level and hope those candidates who oppose it win and slowly push it up the political chain of command. Voting against Obama because of drone attacks isn't going to stop drone attacks, plain and simple.
dog

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #19219 on: October 01, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
In a two party system it has always been the lesser of two evils and in a hundred years at least in America it will always be a lesser of two evils choice. Two party systems mean big tent parties with broad positions. When people draw their line in the sands, it tends to say more about their maturity level when it comes to American politics.

In full disclosure I didn't vote for John Kerry in 2004 exactly because I made one of those draw a line in the sand declarations. My only real saving excuse at the time being in the state I was in at that time, Kerry was going to win it no matter what. If it was close I would have voted for him despite not really being a fan of him.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:49:19 PM by Stoney Mason »

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19220 on: October 01, 2012, 03:46:23 PM »
The needle moves for both parties, no doubt.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19221 on: October 01, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
In a two party system it has always been the lesser of two evils and in a hundred years at least in America it will always be a lesser of two evils choice. Two party systems mean big tent parties which broad positions. When people draw their line in the sands, it tends to say more about their maturity level when it comes to American politics.

In full disclosure I didn't vote for John Kerry in 2004 exactly because I made one of those draw a line in the sand declarations. My only real saving excuse at the time being in the state I was in at that time, Kerry was going to win it no matter what. If it was close I would have voted for him despite not really being a fan of him.

:teehee
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19222 on: October 01, 2012, 04:45:01 PM »
CNN's latest poll shows Bams and Willard in a statistical tie.  In other news, CNN is still pathetic and useless.
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19223 on: October 01, 2012, 05:44:37 PM »
CNN's latest poll shows Bams and Willard in a statistical tie.  In other news, CNN is still pathetic and useless.

Literally this morning, I was watching Fox & Friends scoff SCOFF at the notion that the media "couldn't wait for a Mitt rebound". Of course they knew the truth, that the librul media loves Obama and is out to get Mitt, and that those dirty commies at CNN would have no interest in the higher ratings they get by making this thing a horse race.
©@©™

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19225 on: October 02, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
Not enough zingers.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19226 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
I swear Brooks has used this fanfic setup before.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19227 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
David Brooks needs to put his writing talents to better use: Romney and Obama interracial slash fiction.
dog

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #19228 on: October 02, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

Mitt Romney swings by Chipotle for a photo op
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19229 on: October 02, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl
yar

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #19230 on: October 02, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
Hearing Seattle conservatards get all bent outta shape over Michelle coming here to raise money- so obnoxious. I like how they rail against her raising funds the old fashioned way- but no one wants to talk about shadow donations from individuals that want to bend the country to their will.
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19231 on: October 02, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
wait, why are they upset...? She's not allowed to campaign/raise money now? Or is this a "grrrr my work commute will be fucked up by Michelle's motorcade" attack

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #19232 on: October 02, 2012, 04:04:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

lesbian hand holding cropped out

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19233 on: October 02, 2012, 04:09:59 PM »
We need that guy's face as an emoticon. :lol

wait, why are they upset...? She's not allowed to campaign/raise money now? Or is this a "grrrr my work commute will be fucked up by Michelle's motorcade" attack

"I wonder how many millions our tax dollars they're spending on THIS trip? Ridiculous."
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19234 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

lesbian hand holding cropped out

But the gang sign was left in.
©@©™

« Reply #19235 on: October 02, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
Hearing Seattle conservatards get all bent outta shape over Michelle coming here to raise money- so obnoxious. I like how they rail against her raising funds the old fashioned way- but no one wants to talk about shadow donations from individuals that want to bend the country to their will.

At work, or were you listening to Dori Monson?  ;)

We've also got a Mariners game and Madonna concert tonight to fuck up traffic.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:38:14 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #19236 on: October 02, 2012, 09:25:47 PM »
:drudge JEREMIAH WRIGHT :drudge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19237 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:32 PM »

Is this a confirmed Jeremiah Wright sighting, or just that conditions are right for a Jeremiah Wright to form?

Edit: LOL, wait so the video's been on Youtube since 2007, but now it's an EXCLUSIVE OBAMA SHOCKER, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING? :lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:21:47 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19238 on: October 02, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »

holy shit Hannity's black voice is like Michael Scott's

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19239 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

Is this a confirmed Jeremiah Wright sighting, or just that conditions are right for a Jeremiah Wright to form?

Edit: LOL, wait so the video's been on Youtube since 2007, but now it's an EXCLUSIVE OBAMA SHOCKER, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING? :lol

Quote from: TPM
But the Associated Press covered the speech. Brian Williams mentioned it that night on his NBC News broadcast. Maureen Dowd referred to it the next day in her New York Times column.

LOLOL
___

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #19240 on: October 02, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
The Romney camp is so desperate for a "47%" moment of their own, I guess they'll give anything a shot. First the "Obama Redistribution" video, now this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:50:22 PM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19241 on: October 02, 2012, 11:01:45 PM »
my long thoughts on this shit: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42790740&postcount=16829

TL DR: surprise, Obama is a liberal who supports urban development and recognizes the impact white flight had on inner cities. And the Katrina stuff? I don't think republicans want to re-litigate that disaster and the racial implications throughout it.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19242 on: October 03, 2012, 12:20:34 AM »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19243 on: October 03, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »
Tucker Carlson is really trying to hammer this video home. He just can't believe no one gives a shit.

After a 5 year smear campaign by the right, it seems more and more people are seeing through this bullshit.
©ZH

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19244 on: October 03, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
I can't wait for Drudge to discover which terrorist Obama has been "palling around" with.  This could be a gamechanger!
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19245 on: October 03, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
This is what happens when you spend 4+ years crying wolf and demonizing a guy who is actually a decent person and an okay President. People eventually tune you out and find it more difficult to believe what you say:

At least as discouraging, for Republicans, however, is that Romney’s favorite Obama quote — “You didn’t build that” — isn’t even a net drag for the president. After hearing his comments, voters reacted positively by a 36-32 margin overall, and independents and “up for grabs” voters actually approved of them by slightly higher margins.

Romney bet big on attacks built around the snippet, devoting not only millions of dollars in ads but an entire day of the Republican convention to the theme. Its failure to turn the polls may point to larger problems with the GOP strategy of using Obama’s own words against him. A focus group of undecided voters conducted by former Haley Barbour’s firm found that they were resistant to judging Obama by his quotes in comparison to Romney, often because they assumed they were taken out of context.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19246 on: October 03, 2012, 02:06:13 PM »
Just thought I'd leave this here:

dog

« Reply #19247 on: October 03, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
What exactly does it say about the GOP that they keep bringing up Reverand Wright every chance they get? Not joking around, I'm serious. You'd think after the first three or four times that it didn't work they'd get it, but here we are with the 20th time they've pulled this card.
野球

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19248 on: October 03, 2012, 02:54:48 PM »
It says they've got a bad case of the blahs
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19249 on: October 03, 2012, 07:04:06 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/files/Focusletter.pdf

how did I miss this in 2008  :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19250 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »
Just thought I'd leave this here:

6 years later I guess I'm the only person who still didn't find this performance impressive. I agree that partisan hackery sucks but Stewart didn't do much of anything to highlight this. Just vague generalizations, and the few specific charges were wrong (ie Carlson and Begala going to the spin room after the debate).

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19251 on: October 03, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
the point is it got crossfire canceled
pcp

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19252 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »
Your crusade against Jon Stewart is cute, but PT's right.  He went on a show, told them they sucked, and then they got cancelled.  Plus Carlson's never recovered; he's like a hobo who got a bad concussion which was never treated.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19253 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »
the point is it got crossfire canceled

And it was 8 years ago, and PD won't admit shit about Stewart in a positive light because it would ruin an entire career of concern trolling.  But whatever.  Obvious troll is obvious.

edit: fuck, beaten by Mandark by 23 fuckin' seconds.  FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19254 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
I don't hate on Stewart! I think he's funny, I just also think he pretty much sucks when he tries to play serious

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19255 on: October 03, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
Are you guys ready for the media talkin' bout ZINGERS?
vin

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19256 on: October 03, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
http://www.wnd.com/files/Focusletter.pdf

how did I miss this in 2008  :lol

The part about military policy is hilarious. :lol
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19257 on: October 03, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
I don't hate on Stewart! I think he's funny, I just also think he pretty much sucks when he tries to play serious

You always hate on Stewart wtf

When he plays SERIOUS serious and not IMMA JOKE BUT BE SEMI-SERIOUS, he's an amazing linguist and debater.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19258 on: October 03, 2012, 08:59:27 PM »
LETS DO THIS SHIT
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19259 on: October 03, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »
CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THOSE AMAZING ZINGERS
dog