Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866147 times)

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19320 on: October 03, 2012, 10:47:30 PM »
It was getting ridiculous. I really thought Lehrer was going to keep everyone in check. Even Romney recognized how ineffectual he was and almost terminated him on the spot (I.E. OUT OF HABIT LOL).
Unzip

Himu

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19321 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:17 PM »
It was getting ridiculous. I really thought Lehrer was going to keep everyone in check. Even Romney recognized how ineffectual he was and almost terminated him on the spot (I.E. OUT OF HABIT LOL).

:rofl
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #19322 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:54 PM »
I don't think moderators would get pad by anyone.

Of the three debates, this was the one that Romney was going to do the best in yet he's going to get torn to shreds by fact-checkers for the next week.

The next debate is the vp one and I don't think Ryan has any chance in that. Then the town hall which might bring out Romney's charisma problem, and then the foreign policy which is going to be pretty brutal.

Himu

« Reply #19323 on: October 03, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
Biden is going to destroy Ryan.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19324 on: October 03, 2012, 10:51:15 PM »
Romney killed it.

I knew Obama sucked at debates but wow, this is bad. We're looking at President Romney if this keeps up.

FUCKING LOL

someone hasn't been following the math and swing state polling
püp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19325 on: October 03, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »
"Hello friend, that's a beauty of a Republican candidate you're looking at there. Cuts taxes like nobody's business, that one. And did I mention that it hates welfare? Well it does. Runs over welfare like THAT. Comes with free bootstraps to pull yourself up by, too.

Medicare? Social Security? Doesn't that just seem so... unimportant, friend? So, tell me- what's it going to take to get YOU into this fine piece of GOP machinery today?"
yar

Himu

« Reply #19326 on: October 03, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »
Romney killed it.

I knew Obama sucked at debates but wow, this is bad. We're looking at President Romney if this keeps up.

FUCKING LOL

To be fair, that was pre-debates. Romney could still be a threat unfortunately and in order for your idea to work, those poll numbers are going to have to turn into actual votes which isn't really guaranteed to happen.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #19327 on: October 03, 2012, 11:01:04 PM »
Obama got his ass kicked

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19328 on: October 03, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
oh PD.  no he didn't.
püp

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #19329 on: October 03, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
I want my two hours back.  :-\

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19330 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:10 PM »
I wouldn't say "he got his ass kicked" but he certainly didn't win, and for the first half of the debate or so he really looked shitty.
yar

Himu

« Reply #19331 on: October 03, 2012, 11:07:12 PM »
Brand New, Obama is not new to craven politics, so please stop defending him. Romney, while having more holes in his debate than me at the end of a friday night, took advantage of Obama and had his way with him.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19332 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »
As with most things, people will talk about this endlessly, there will be back-slapping and hand-wringing in equal parts, and then very little of substance will actually emerge from it all.
dog

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #19333 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
Not really, he had no details and was just stroking himself with vague statements everytime he talked. Romney's performance in the debate will be judged over the next week as we see all the holes pointed out.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19334 on: October 03, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
Romney killed it.

FUCKING LOL

To be fair, that was pre-debates. Romney could still be a threat unfortunately and in order for your idea to work, those poll numbers are going to have to turn into actual votes which isn't really guaranteed to happen.

Historically debates have mattered very little when it comes to swaying the electorate, and this is a particularly polarized electorate with fewer undecideds then in the recent past.  If Obama merely maintains the level of performance he put out tonight he will still be easily favored to win the election.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19335 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:08 PM »
Remember those stories about aides trying to get Obama to shorten his answers during prep debates? Well, clearly he didn't listen. At all.

I thought Obama made Romney look like a fool on Medicare, but that was it. He let Romney say whatever he wanted

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19336 on: October 03, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
The real shocker was that it was fucking ROMNEY who pulled out the "you're not entitled to your own facts" line.  I mean, Jesus.  After lying for like an hour and 15 minutes, to say that?  The man clearly has balls the size of Siberia. 
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19337 on: October 03, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
Not really, he had no details and was just stroking himself with vague statements everytime he talked. Romney's performance in the debate will be judged over the next week as we see all the holes pointed out.

It's already started:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/romney-backs-away-from-own-tax-plan.php?ref=fpb
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/10/romney-ill-cover-pre-existing-conditions-obama-no-you-wont.php?ref=fpnewsfeed
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19338 on: October 03, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »
This is also Obama's weakest topic of all the debates, and all intelligent peeps thought this debate would be close.  I actually expected Romney to win, and Obama didn't get killed out there.  Obama was detailed, Romney was sweeping.  In the next few days, the fact-checkers will pounce on Romney and some ads will be made.

Obama probably realizes he played it too safe, but honestly, this was the debate to do so.  I think he'll be more aware and aggressive for the next two debates, especially the third.
püp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19339 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
Vague asshole versus rambling pussy. Which one do you like better?

The real winners are the ones that didn't watch this snoozefest. :zzz
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19340 on: October 03, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
I want my two hours back.  :-\

I got so bored I went and took a shit halfway through, bringing along a copy of an EGM from '92. Reading speculation about the SEGA CD and seeing ads for shitty Acclaim games from the 90's was much more interesting.

Still voting for BHO but I just haven't been too big into politics lately. Sick of seeing and hearing Mitt.
^_^

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19341 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
Dvr'd it lol. Watched first 20 and thought "this will be a trainwreck."

Looked to Internet, see I am pretty much right. Gonna jump straight into spin and/or fact chex! :hyper

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19342 on: October 03, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »
PD in full effect on gaf, it's lovely  :lol
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19344 on: October 03, 2012, 11:31:10 PM »
PD in full effect on gaf, it's lovely  :lol
@BuzzFeedAndrew
CNN poll 67% of voters say Romney won only 22% say Obama won.

every poll showing Romney won, clearly. Keep spinning bro

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19345 on: October 03, 2012, 11:37:35 PM »
When have snap polls meant anything?

They don't mean dick.  Especially when you're citing CNN who is the concern troll Phoenix Dark of MSM
püp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19346 on: October 03, 2012, 11:43:14 PM »
What if Romney was running a clusterfuck campaign for the past month so that he could win "the expectations game" come debate night?!  :o

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19347 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
Just like vice presidents, debates don't mean shit. I can't believe all the calories that are burned discussing them. In 3 weeks it will be totally forgotten.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19348 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
So TA you still think this election has been over since may?
püp

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19349 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
Since March/April. Once I saw the demo problem Romney had in some midwestern states (during the primaries) I knew he was fucked with women and many white men making less than 50k.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19350 on: October 03, 2012, 11:59:50 PM »
bad news for obama.
püp

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #19351 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:04 AM »
So this is what BrandNew looks like in political threads.
Unzip

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19352 on: October 04, 2012, 12:04:10 AM »
Since presidential politics is mostly taking credit/assessing blame for things you actually had little control over, Obama needs to start shoving this down Republicans throats.

Although, I guess it could backfire and make all the limp-wristed greenies throw a fit and become apathetic.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19353 on: October 04, 2012, 12:12:30 AM »
So this is what BrandNew looks like in political threads.

to be fair this is what I look like in drunk threads as well
püp

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #19354 on: October 04, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
Brand New, Obama is not new to craven politics, so please stop defending him. Romney, while having more holes in his debate than me at the end of a friday night, took advantage of Obama and had his way with him.

What do you mean by you have holes in you at the end of a friday night?  ???
WDW

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19355 on: October 04, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
PD you need to pull out the Hillary card (ie. "Hillary wouldn't have lost that debate") in Poligaf. They will lose their shit.

edit: Thank you, kind sir. I can go to bed now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:06:06 AM by ToxicAdam »

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #19356 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »
I am so glad I outsourced all my electoral horserace assessments to the big numbers on the right panel of the 538 blog. They will tell me what to think tomorrow
QED

Himu

« Reply #19357 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:00 AM »

What do you mean by you have holes in you at the end of a friday night?  ???

:-[
IYKYK

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19358 on: October 04, 2012, 03:28:41 AM »
Remember those stories about aides trying to get Obama to shorten his answers during prep debates? Well, clearly he didn't listen. At all.

You finally saw Street Fight, right?  Remember the part where the adviser is prepping Booker for the debate and telling him not to get bogged down in explanations, but to just hit his talking point and move on?  Then he says "I still think I should give a little explanation, get the real facts out there, but still keep it short..." and after he leaves the adviser rolls her eyes and says something like "he's going to blow it."

Haven't watched the debate, but that was always sort of Obama's MO.

Oblivion

« Reply #19359 on: October 04, 2012, 06:38:43 AM »
Um, after actually watching the whole debate, I'm gonna have to disagree with much of the blogosphere. After seeing Chris Matthews' meltdown, I thought Obama was gonna be shitting his pants every five minutes. But he came off as competent at the very least, with only a few missed opportunities (rebutting the $700 billion medicare cut thing).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19360 on: October 04, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »

You finally saw Street Fight, right?  Remember the part where the adviser is prepping Booker for the debate and telling him not to get bogged down in explanations, but to just hit his talking point and move on?  Then he says "I still think I should give a little explanation, get the real facts out there, but still keep it short..." and after he leaves the adviser rolls her eyes and says something like "he's going to blow it."

Haven't watched the debate, but that was always sort of Obama's MO.

Yup great doc. But Obama actually blew it this time. He did similar stuff against Hillary but it was never a resounding loss. I rewatched the first debate with McCain and Obama rambled but also had many clear answers. The problem here is that Obama has to defend his record in nuanced terms. It's not like Clinton in 1996 who could just say "I cut the deficit and created 10 million jobs, boom." So he had to give longer answers compared to Romney who could simply rely on talking points. But Obama also spent a lot of time making abstract points that didn't connect, while Romney was talking about how high taxes hurt small businesses. That's not a good contrast

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19361 on: October 04, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
Biden Implores Obama To 'Rub One Out' Before Debate
'Don't Want Pussy On The Mind Out There,' Reports Vice President
OCTOBER 3, 2012 | ISSUE 48•40

DENVER—Noting that tonight’s debate against Mitt Romney would last a full hour and a half, Vice President Joe Biden reportedly urged President Obama to “rub one out” so that he could “get pussy off the mind” before taking the stage at 9 p.m. Eastern time. “Look, Barry, you need to keep your head in the game up there, and you sure as shit can’t focus if you’ve got a full load flaring up inside you,” said Biden, telling Obama he should feel free to think about the first lady, “Jill [Biden], or whoever pops into your head while you’re polishing the ol’ Capitol dome.” “Hell, I must’ve yanked the crank a good eight or nine times before my debate with Sarah Palin back in ’08…and a few times after, too, if you catch my drift.” At press time, sources reported seeing the president enter a private bathroom with Biden’s “rare and always reliable” January 1979 edition of Playboy
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19362 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:35 AM »
I thought it was funny at the end how Romney got the last word in saying that if the prez is re-elected Amurica is doomed..... and then they all shook hands. Ann Romney stood up next to Michelle Obama and had a look on her face like she was too close to some black poors.

I thought Romney did fine. Except for the $700b medicaid bullshit. I can't believe he thinks people still buy that.
©ZH

« Reply #19363 on: October 04, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
Um, after actually watching the whole debate, I'm gonna have to disagree with much of the blogosphere. After seeing Chris Matthews' meltdown, I thought Obama was gonna be shitting his pants every five minutes. But he came off as competent at the very least, with only a few missed opportunities (rebutting the $700 billion medicare cut thing).

Yeah, I saw maybe 60 percent of it, and if I was convinced that the election hinged entirely on debate style points, I'd probably give the nod to Mittens. But overall, I didn't think it was some landslide. Yeah, Romney was certainly convincing if the goal was simply to assure people that he had the moxie needed to turn things around, but clearly the only substance to any of that amounted to "there's more than one way to skin a cat!" And Obama was Obama. So, yeah, if you start with the caveat of "facts schmacts!" then Romney wins. But I don't buy into the "Romney killed it while Obama came off like an incompetent, rambling boob" narrative.

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #19364 on: October 04, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
Damn, that scary Ted Bundy looking cracker is intense... He's going to rape American and toss it in a ditch. :lol Silly honkeys.
:-[

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
o_0

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19366 on: October 04, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
This certainly didn't take long:

dog

« Reply #19367 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:21 PM »
This certainly didn't take long:

What a shameful ad. Mitt could not have been more clear about how he was going to do it by explicitly spelling out that he was going to eliminate non-specific loopholes. What more does Obama want?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:11:47 PM by Steve Youngblood »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19368 on: October 04, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
There's also this one:

dog

Himu

« Reply #19369 on: October 04, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/404175

They only aired half of this on last weeks Weekend Update. The full version loses its focus near the end but still pretty good.
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

« Reply #19370 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:55 PM »
I'm going to say something controversial here," Gore began. "Obama arrived in Denver at 2 pm today, just a few hours before the debate started. Romney did his debate prep in Denver.

"When you go to five thousand feet, and you only have a few hours to adjust, I don't know," Gore said, as other panelists in the post-debate discussion chimed in.

:spin Current TV

Himu

« Reply #19371 on: October 04, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
I'm going to say something controversial here," Gore began. "Obama arrived in Denver at 2 pm today, just a few hours before the debate started. Romney did his debate prep in Denver.

"When you go to five thousand feet, and you only have a few hours to adjust, I don't know," Gore said, as other panelists in the post-debate discussion chimed in.

:rofl
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19372 on: October 04, 2012, 02:41:44 PM »
Quote from:  @BigBird
Yo Mitt Romney, Sesame Street is brought to you today by the letters F & U! #debates #SupportBigBird
©ZH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #19373 on: October 04, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »

:yuck
püp

« Reply #19374 on: October 04, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

As wacky as that sounds, there are people that really think that the elevation messes with you. I've only really only vacationed in the mountains once, but one time I went to Breckenridge (a ski resort town about an hour and a half out of Denver), and I was really confused by some of the things going on. For one, there were oxygen bars that otherwise healthy people would go to to get hooked up to oxygen tanks because, apparently, some people don't react well to less oxygen in the higher altitudes. Also, there were a few cautions that one alcoholic drink would hit you about as hard as three would at sea level.

Personally, it all seemed like malarkey to me. But, I'm no expert on the matter.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19375 on: October 04, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
Ummm, you're kidding right?
vin

« Reply #19376 on: October 04, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
No. A quick Google search shows that it's an often-repeated claim. However, its validity -- as expected since I myself drank and didn't anecdotally notice anything amiss -- seems in doubt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/02real.html?_r=0

Oblivion

« Reply #19377 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:35 PM »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #19378 on: October 04, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »

As wacky as that sounds, there are people that really think that the elevation messes with you. I've only really only vacationed in the mountains once, but one time I went to Breckenridge (a ski resort town about an hour and a half out of Denver), and I was really confused by some of the things going on. For one, there were oxygen bars that otherwise healthy people would go to to get hooked up to oxygen tanks because, apparently, some people don't react well to less oxygen in the higher altitudes. Also, there were a few cautions that one alcoholic drink would hit you about as hard as three would at sea level.

Personally, it all seemed like malarkey to me. But, I'm no expert on the matter.

I worked at a ski resort after university and i remember that was one of the reasons people as listed why we were all perpetually sick with something
___

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #19379 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
No. A quick Google search shows that it's an often-repeated claim. However, its validity -- as expected since I myself drank and didn't anecdotally notice anything amiss -- seems in doubt.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/02real.html?_r=0
Oh, the alcohol thing.  Yeah, that's probably BS.  But altitude sickness is a very real thing.
vin