Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866308 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19921 on: October 16, 2012, 11:42:23 PM »
CBS

Obama 37
Romney 30
Tie 33

Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #19922 on: October 16, 2012, 11:43:13 PM »
Now now, share with the class.

野球

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19923 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:00 PM »
The sad thing is, if that had been the performance he gave in the first debate, this shit would be over

Barring something weird, it should be over now but Obama bled for a few weeks needlessly.  Harumph.
yar

Himu

« Reply #19924 on: October 16, 2012, 11:44:35 PM »
Someone on c-span just said "Obama had a hard time answering questions" :spin
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #19926 on: October 16, 2012, 11:48:19 PM »
CBS

Obama 37
Romney 30
Tie 33

"According to a CBS poll, only 1 in 3 people think Obama won the debate!"
🍆🍆

Himu

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19928 on: October 16, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
That Libya moment really is incredible. You can just see this look in Mitt Ronmey's eyes. "I've got him. I've got him stone cold on this." And Obama just sits back and says "Please proceed, Governor." and Romney proceeds to do exactly what Obama wanted him to do: hang himself with his own rope on live TV.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/

:rofl

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/google-binders-full-of-women-rising-search-term

I have a feeling that off-the-cuff remark is going to get some play in the next few weeks.
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19929 on: October 17, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
The sad thing is, if that had been the performance he gave in the first debate, this shit would be over

Barring something weird, it should be over now but Obama bled for a few weeks needlessly.  Harumph.

Well, I think a lot of Dems were getting a bit too giddy during the post-convention phase when everything was coming up Milhouse.

Himu

« Reply #19930 on: October 17, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »

Well, I think a lot of Dems were getting a bit too giddy during the post-convention phase when everything was coming up Milhouse.

I agree with this but I think Romney's 47% comments and the subsequent Gallup polls helped birth this attitude than the DNC. Though of course, the convention contributed.
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19931 on: October 17, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
for those who may have missed the definitive moment of the debate:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19932 on: October 17, 2012, 12:29:31 AM »
It blows my mind that Mittens actually bit on that line of attack and thought it was going to be the knock out blow against Obama.
dog

Himu

« Reply #19933 on: October 17, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
for those who may have missed the definitive moment of the debate:

IYKYK

« Reply #19934 on: October 17, 2012, 12:32:10 AM »
Good lord, undecided voters are dense.
野球

Himu

« Reply #19935 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:24 AM »
With a month until election day how can anyone be undecided?
IYKYK

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #19936 on: October 17, 2012, 12:33:52 AM »
Good lord, undecided voters are dense.

MSNBC right?  I swear to God you would get more thoughtful answers from middle school kids. 

« Reply #19937 on: October 17, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »
Yep. These people are fucking idiots.

I really want to believe they're just attention whores.
野球

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19938 on: October 17, 2012, 12:36:03 AM »
I can understand not really knowing much about local or state races up until close to the election, but national races? PRESIDENTIAL races? Good grief, people.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19939 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:57 AM »
Mitt Romney raised eyebrows during the presidential debate Tuesday night when he claimed that as governor of Massachusetts, he had been so dismayed at the lack of female cabinet candidates that he sent women's groups out to find them.

"I went to a number of women's groups and said, 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women," he said.

In fact, Romney did not direct women's groups to bring him female candidates, Boston Pheonix reporter David Bernstein points out. A non-partisan collaboration of women’s groups called Massachusetts Government Appointments Project (MassGAP) was responsible for the effort in 2002, when the group's leaders realized that women held only 30 percent of the top appointed positions in the state.

Romney boasted that during his term as governor, Massachusetts had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America. "Now one of the reasons I was able to get so many good women to be part of that team was because of our recruiting effort," he said.

This statement, too, is misleading. While 42 percent of Romney’s appointments during his first 2-1/2 years as governor were women, the number of women in high-level appointed positions actually declined 27.6 percent during his full tenure as governor, according to a 2007 MassGAP study.

Oops!
dog

bachikarn

« Reply #19940 on: October 17, 2012, 12:45:15 AM »
holy shit, how is this not an Onion headline

http://nation.foxnews.com/mitt-romney/2012/10/15/romney-smokes-obama-pre-debate-coin-tosses

Romney Smokes Obama In Pre-Debate Coin Tosses

Himu

« Reply #19941 on: October 17, 2012, 12:49:39 AM »
This just in: Romney eats his pre-debate dinner faster than Obama!
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19942 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19943 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:31 AM »
First of all, according to MassGAP and MWPC, Romney did appoint 14 women out of his first 33 senior-level appointments, which is a reasonably impressive 42 percent. However, as I have reported before, those were almost all to head departments and agencies that he didn't care about -- and in some cases, that he quite specifically wanted to not really do anything. None of the senior positions Romney cared about -- budget, business development, etc. -- went to women.

Secondly, a UMass-Boston study found that the percentage of senior-level appointed positions held by women actually declined throughout the Romney administration, from 30.0% prior to his taking office, to 29.7% in July 2004, to 27.6% near the end of his term in November 2006. (It then began rapidly rising when Deval Patrick took office.)

Third, note that in Romney's story as he tells it, this man who had led and consulted for businesses for 25 years didn't know any qualified women, or know where to find any qualified women. So what does that say?
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #19944 on: October 17, 2012, 02:48:16 AM »
My mom just liked "Binders Full of Women" on FB.  Sheesh.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19946 on: October 17, 2012, 08:40:08 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/first-question-from-debate-audience-somehow-comes,29947/

I liked this one too:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/debate-cut-short-as-lantern-fire-burns-down-ol-tow,29949/

“I thank God that no souls perished today in this infernal blaze,” said local pastor Cyrus T. Jebediah, speaking to a coughing Soledad O’Brien as authorities assessed the damage to the building. “Everyone in Hempstead helped quell the flames. The women in their fancy gingham gowns and bonnets, the rowdy Rachom boys—why, even crazy Jasper Pike, his bottle of corn whiskey still in one hand. Made me proud to be a Hempsteadian, I’ll swear to that.”
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19947 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:04 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/articles/first-question-from-debate-audience-somehow-comes,29947/

I liked this one too:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/debate-cut-short-as-lantern-fire-burns-down-ol-tow,29949/

“I thank God that no souls perished today in this infernal blaze,” said local pastor Cyrus T. Jebediah, speaking to a coughing Soledad O’Brien as authorities assessed the damage to the building. “Everyone in Hempstead helped quell the flames. The women in their fancy gingham gowns and bonnets, the rowdy Rachom boys—why, even crazy Jasper Pike, his bottle of corn whiskey still in one hand. Made me proud to be a Hempsteadian, I’ll swear to that.”

The best part of that is that Hempstead is the biggest ghetto on the whole island. As in, more dangerous than many parts of the boroughs... I got lost there once and got pulled over in a red zone b/c cops are so not used to seeing white people that they thought I was buying drugs there :P

My next-door neighbor took Soledad O'Brien to the prom :P
^_^

« Reply #19948 on: October 17, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
My wife's cousin works at Hofstra, I guess she'd been running around like crazy the last month or so helping with coordination of the debate.
野球

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19949 on: October 17, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
According to Romney, the recession never happened. How stupid does he think people are?
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #19950 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:59 PM »
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19951 on: October 17, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
Perfect. :lol
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19952 on: October 17, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
dog

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19953 on: October 17, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
I know that "binders full of women" is the quote getting the play, but there were two other real clunkers in that exchange; the first being, "if you're going to have women in the workplace..." like it's some hardship we need to work around, the second being the idea that you need to be flexible with women so they can get home to take care of their kids and cook dinner. (wtf)

The latter misstep in particularly struck me as insanely misogynist.
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19954 on: October 17, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
There's also the "we'll get people so anxious to hire that they'll hire women!" as if the only way to get women jobs is by making business owners desperate for workers.
dog

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #19955 on: October 17, 2012, 12:53:26 PM »
Yes, all four of those phrases are shit and write their own commercials

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19956 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
Later, he seemed to suggest that single moms were the primary source of gun violence in America.
dog

« Reply #19957 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »
I know that "binders full of women" is the quote getting the play, but there were two other real clunkers in that exchange; the first being, "if you're going to have women in the workplace..." like it's some hardship we need to work around, the second being the idea that you need to be flexible with women so they can get home to take care of their kids and cook dinner. (wtf)

Who else is going to take care of them?

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19958 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:43 PM »
Yeah, stopping gun violence by preserving marriage was a bit of a social stretch.

And yes, the "once every man in America has a job, they'll have no CHOICE but to hire women!" was a bit condescending - like there's no room for women in the economy until it's boom times again
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #19959 on: October 17, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »

Who else is going to take care of them?

lesbian mom #2, the stay-at-home one. duh
乱学者

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19961 on: October 17, 2012, 01:00:32 PM »
Not only was it completely tone deaf and misogynistic, it was also a lie!
dog

« Reply #19962 on: October 17, 2012, 01:03:48 PM »

Oh, right right. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't suggesting that -- should my wife inexplicably abandon her duties and start working long hours -- I would actually take on some of these duties.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19963 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

Oh, right right. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't suggesting that -- should my wife inexplicably abandon her duties and start working long hours -- I would actually take on some of these duties.

Oh goodness, no! A man leaving work early to take care of his children? What an amusing thought! Haha! I must tell this little joke to Reginald next time I see him down at the country club!
dog

« Reply #19964 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:17 PM »

What really bothered me was Mitt's assumption that all women have children. Because you know, if you don't have a kid you're a total failure.

Later, he seemed to suggest that single moms were the primary source of gun violence in America.

That totally killed me. Gun violence is due to a lack of a mother or a father in a kid's life. All you have to do is get married and it all goes away.

There is a cycle of violence that occurs in some families, but to suggest that marriage can solve gun violence completely by itself is absolutely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:58:37 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19965 on: October 17, 2012, 02:04:17 PM »
Well Obama was raised by a single mother, and he killed Bin Laden and America

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #19966 on: October 17, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »

There are probably millions of people doing the same thing on the internet today.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:28:18 PM by ToxicAdam »

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #19967 on: October 17, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
If I had that body I would walk around shirtless too.
Drunk

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #19968 on: October 17, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »

What really bothered me was Mitt's assumption that all women have children. Because you know, if you don't have a kid you're a total failure.

That totally killed me. Gun violence is due to a lack of a mother or a father in a kid's life. All you have to do is get married and it all goes away.

There is a cycle of violence that occurs in some families, but to suggest that marriage can solve gun violence completely by itself is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, that whole part with the gun violence and talk about single parents was a real headscratcher... basically shit all over single parents too. These last few debates have really made me come to hate Romney as a person. I mean, Bush was a horrible president and dumb as dogshit but he was at least sincere (Cheney and Rove being the 2 big bastards). But Romney, he's so fake, such a liar, and is an outright asshole.
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19969 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »

There are probably millions of people doing the same thing on the internet today.

Average American voters.
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #19970 on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »

That was by far and away the most  :wtf point in the entire debate. I mean, how the hell do you make that pivot?

Himu

« Reply #19971 on: October 17, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

:rofl
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19973 on: October 17, 2012, 03:50:08 PM »
If only Romney had been born a Latino, he'd be leading with them right now!
dog

Oblivion

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19975 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:56 PM »

DEM BOOBZ

yar

Oblivion

« Reply #19976 on: October 17, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
Also, one thing I hope doesn't get lost in the shuffle (cause I haven't heard many people talk about it, but thought it was kind of important):

MS. CROWLEY: Mr. President, let me get — let me get the governor in on this.

And Governor, let’s — before we get into a vast array of who said what — what study says what, if it shouldn’t add up, if somehow when you get in there, there isn’t enough tax revenue coming in, if somehow the numbers don’t add up, would you be willing to look again at a 20 percent —

MR. ROMNEY: Well, of course they add up. I was — I was someone who ran businesses for 25 years and balanced the budget. I ran the Olympics and balanced the budget. I ran the — the state of Massachusetts as a governor, to the extent any governor does, and balanced the budget all four years.

"Of course they add up cause I used federal money to save the Olympics and was mandated by law to balance my state's budget!"

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19977 on: October 17, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
OH HAI GUYZ WHAT'S UP

http://polltracker.talkingpointsmemo.com/contests/president-12-latinos

romney's dumb ass actually said "illegals" last night; cant wait to see his numbers drop from that
pcp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #19978 on: October 17, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »

DEM BOOBZ

Still fine

I watched Do The Right Thing again a few weeks ago and oh boy...dat ice cube scene

Oblivion

« Reply #19979 on: October 17, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »

Guess it was Obama that was the one that got destroyed in that exchange after all. :smug

edit: wtf? Why can't I embed it?