Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866168 times)

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20040 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »
Obama just ticked up to 70% on Silvers blog.  :lol

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20041 on: October 19, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »
Jesus Christ, can you imagine what will happen if Obama wins the EC but loses the popular vote?
yar

Trurl

« Reply #20042 on: October 19, 2012, 12:26:56 AM »
The best of American conservatives would smugly make the point that conservatives, unlike hypocritical liberals, respect the rules of a game--they will then proceed to complain for four years. 

The rest the American rightwing would declare jihad or something.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20043 on: October 19, 2012, 12:38:09 AM »
I predict a piece by David Brooks where he says that while there is nothing morally or legally wrong with this outcome, the split shows a public mandate for restraint and moderation, and that Obama can salvage his legacy by eschewing the partisan politics that characterized by the campaign and embracing his Burkean instincts, acknowledging the renewed sense of responsibility emerging from the Great Recession, and work to restore social trust rather than focusing myopically on economic issues.

Shit, now I'm pissed off at Brooks for this hypothetical column.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20044 on: October 19, 2012, 01:16:52 AM »
Very strong polling day for Obama, and more proof that early voting should seal the deal in Iowa. Romney's entire goal has to be finding a path of victory without Ohio, given the polling there; that path doesn't exist without Iowa.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20045 on: October 19, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »
Sorry, I will be occupying the same ledge as Andrew Sullivan until more polling numbers improve

Where do you guys go for your polling fix?  TPM has started to suck
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20046 on: October 19, 2012, 01:39:12 AM »
PoliGAF  posts all of them, and of course twitter. Plus DailyKos does a run down of each day's polls. For instance here's October 18

NATIONAL (Gallup Tracking): Romney 52, Obama 45 (LV); Romney 48, Obama 47 (RV)

NATIONAL (IBD/TIPP Tracking): Obama 46, Romney 46

NATIONAL (Ipsos/Reuters Tracking): Obama 47, Romney 44 (LV); Obama 47, Romney 39 (RV)

NATIONAL (PPP Tracking): Obama 48, Romney 48

NATIONAL (Rasmussen Tracking): Romney 49, Obama 47

COLORADO (PPP): Obama 50, Romney 47

CONNECTICUT (PPP for League of Conservation Voters): Obama 53, Romney 44

CONNECTICUT (Univ. of Connecticut): Obama 51, Romney 37

IOWA (NBC News/Marist): Obama 51, Romney 43 (LV); Obama 50, Romney 43 (RV)

MICHIGAN (Denno Research): Obama 44, Romney 41

MICHIGAN (EPIC-MRA): Obama 52, Romney 46

MINNESOTA (SurveyUSA): Obama 50, Romney 40

NORTH CAROLINA (Rasmussen): Romney 52, Obama 46

OHIO (Rasmussen): Obama 49, Romney 48

PENNSYLVANIA (Susquehanna Research for the PA Republican Party): Romney 49, Obama 45

VIRGINIA (PPP for the League of Conservation Voters): Obama 49, Romney 48

WASHINGTON (Univ. of Washington): Obama 52, Romney 41

WISCONSIN (NBC News/Marist): Obama 51, Romney 45 (LV); Obama 50, Romney 44 (RV)
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/18/1146287/-Daily-Kos-Elections-Polling-Wrap-The-waiting-game-begins-as-Democrats-hope-for-post-debate-mojo

Very good shit; the PA poll looks like an outlier

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20047 on: October 19, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »
Yeah, that PA is almost certainly an outlier, esp considering who conducted it.  :P

yar

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20048 on: October 19, 2012, 05:34:36 AM »
Sorry, I will be occupying the same ledge as Andrew Sullivan until more polling numbers improve

Political wire is good also.

drew

• sy
« Reply #20049 on: October 19, 2012, 07:50:10 AM »
christ this country is hopeless, the only thing you can do now is know you're not going to get who you want and prepare for the eventual fallout

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20050 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »
The best of American conservatives would smugly make the point that conservatives, unlike hypocritical liberals, respect the rules of a game
:rofl
Ask Ron Paul about the respect he got from the rules.

christ this country is hopeless, the only thing you can do now is know you're not going to get who you want and prepare for the eventual fallout

lulz
©ZH

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20051 on: October 19, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
Not gonna lie, this gave me a boner for Obama winning:

On January 1, 2013, we will all awake to a different, substantially more liberal country. The Bush tax cuts will have disappeared, restoring Clinton-era tax rates and flooding government coffers with revenue to fund its current operations for years to come. The military will be facing dire budget cuts that shake the military-industrial complex to its core.

....All this can come to pass because, while Obama has spent the last two years surrendering short-term policy concessions, he has been quietly hoarding a fortune in the equivalent of a political trust fund that comes due on the first of the year. At that point, he will reside in a political world he finds at most mildly uncomfortable and the Republicans consider a hellish dystopia. Then he’ll be ready to make a deal.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:32:15 AM by Mamacint »
___

Spurgeon

« Reply #20052 on: October 19, 2012, 10:25:03 AM »
How soon until the Romney campaign rallies start getting really nasty? McCain eventually called out someone for being a knob, but I don't see Mitt doing the same.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20053 on: October 19, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
That article was pretty good, but that blurb you reposted is fantasy.

I don't think anyone has the balls to let the Bush Tax Cuts rescind. At best (and highly unlikely), we will get some kind of 'taper-off' deal that slowly re-introduces them to most of the tax brackets over the next few years.

Cutting military spending in a downed economy seems unlikely also. Dollars are still jobs and many of those jobs in the most rural, poorest parts of this country. At best you will just see a re-allocation of existing spending (kind of like what he did with NASA).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:33:15 AM by ToxicAdam »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20054 on: October 19, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
Couldn't Mitt stop that when he becomes president?

Inauguration isn't until Jan 20th.  So no.
yar

Barry Egan

« Reply #20055 on: October 19, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
How soon until the Romney campaign rallies start getting really nasty? McCain eventually called out someone for being a knob, but I don't see Mitt doing the same.

Overall I would say this election has season has been more polite then 2008, mostly because all the dog whistley nonsense has already proven ineffective.  If you want a decent stream of OBONGO IS MUZLIN COMMIE HOMOFASCIST then head on over to freerepublic.com for some good times.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20056 on: October 19, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »

I doubt Mitt would want to embarass his own son like that
___

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20057 on: October 19, 2012, 11:05:23 AM »

I doubt Mitt would want to embarass his own son like that

ZING!

I'm NOT saying Tagg Romney is racist, but I AM saying that if Obama had a son who wanted to "take a swing at" Mitt Romney, the story would be 100-point above-the-fold Drudge-a-geddon, followed by Fox News and mainstream media handwringing, not completely buried for the wonkiest of political wonks only.
乱学者

Himu

« Reply #20058 on: October 19, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Romney's kids creep me out. Except that one daughter. She looks like the family outcast and I like outcasts.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20059 on: October 19, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
I don't think Obama would let all the military cuts go through, but I do believe he'll let the Bus tax cuts expire. That would give him a lot of revenue to play around with by offering a deal to republicans. Perhaps a new tax cut for $300k and below.

Obviously he could come to some grand bargain in December instead, but IMO it makes more sense to wait until you have maximum leverage on January 1st

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20060 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »
Having the Bush tax cuts expire would be huge.  I have a chub just thinking about it
püp

bachikarn

« Reply #20061 on: October 19, 2012, 02:41:11 PM »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #20062 on: October 19, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
That was awesome.
MMA

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #20063 on: October 19, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »

I just go to Silver's NYT blog, glance at the big blue change of winning percentage in the right column of the screen and go on with my day. The only thing that'd be better is if I could pin a tile for it to my start screen in Windows, maybe I'll try making an app.
QED

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20064 on: October 19, 2012, 11:57:25 PM »
NEW YORK, N.Y. - The conservative scholar behind a high-grossing film that condemns President Barack Obama has resigned as head of an evangelical college.

The King's College in New York announced Dinesh D'Souza's resignation Thursday. Its board had been meeting about the school president and his relationship with a woman who is not his wife.

The evangelical magazine WORLD reported that the long-married D'Souza was also engaged to the woman. WORLD reported that he brought the woman to a Christian values event last month and introduced her as his fiancee. D'Souza filed for divorce in California a few days after the conference.

D'Souza has denied any wrongdoing. He said he and his wife separated two years ago. He could not be immediately reached for comment Thursday.

D'Souza directed the anti-Obama documentary "2016: Obama's America'.'
http://news.yahoo.com/conservative-obama-filmmaker-resigns-evangelical-college-over-relationship-175207758.html

Bless you with a shorty then we set you up

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20065 on: October 20, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »
dude was a fucking CUNTFUCK on real time the other day, and that's coming from someone who doesn't really like bill maher, like at all.
püp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20066 on: October 20, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »
Charlie Cook says this is what the campaigns are seeing in the swing states. Numbers worse for Obama are from the Romney internals, and numbers worse for Romney are from the Obama internals

NC: Romney +1 to 2

FL: Obama +1 to Romney +2

VA: Even to Romney +2

CO: Obama 1 to 5

IA: Romney +1 to Obama +7

NH: Obama +2 to 5

NV: Obama +3 to 7

WI: Obama +3 to 7

OH: Obama +4 to 7

MI: Obama +7 to 8

PA: Obama +7 to 9

Romney's camp currently projects an Obama victory

Barry Egan

« Reply #20067 on: October 20, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
Can I get a link to that PD?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #20068 on: October 20, 2012, 07:55:04 AM »

I just go to Silver's NYT blog, glance at the big blue change of winning percentage in the right column of the screen and go on with my day. The only thing that'd be better is if I could pin a tile for it to my start screen in Windows, maybe I'll try making an app.

Yep, I only go to this site, much like I did in 2008.  Since it is the last month of the election, I'm pretty much tuning everything out except that site.  His site seems very honest and that is all I want: the numbers, sans spin and bullshit.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20070 on: October 20, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
diablos is quite possibly the worst poster on gaf's community section
püp

Himu

« Reply #20071 on: October 20, 2012, 04:48:43 PM »
How about you shut the fuck about gaf in this thread, you bitch?
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20072 on: October 20, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »
ok  :(
püp

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #20073 on: October 20, 2012, 05:16:51 PM »
binded

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20074 on: October 20, 2012, 05:37:18 PM »
WASHINGTON — The United States and Iran have agreed for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/world/iran-said-ready-to-talk-to-us-about-nuclear-program.html?_r=3&hp&

surprise!

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20075 on: October 20, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
Republicans are going to scream appeasement just because we showed up to the table, but this is a good thing.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20076 on: October 20, 2012, 06:51:24 PM »
WASHINGTON — The United States and Iran have agreed for the first time to one-on-one negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, according to Obama administration officials, setting the stage for what could be a last-ditch diplomatic effort to avert a military strike on Iran.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/world/iran-said-ready-to-talk-to-us-about-nuclear-program.html?_r=3&hp&

surprise!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20077 on: October 20, 2012, 06:58:16 PM »
Obama's apology tour continues. How low will bow to the Ayatollah? Watch Fox News to find out.
©@©™

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #20078 on: October 20, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
Talking? Sounds like appeasement to me. Romney'll let his nukes do the talking.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
While I find Bibi's interference in our political process disgusting, I'm totally okay with the ayatollahs being in the tank for Obama. :shh I mean, if I were Iran, I would be SCARED SHITLESS by the possibility of a Romney presidency. :o
[close]

Also, the timing on this - right before Monday's foreign policy debate - could not be better.
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20079 on: October 20, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
Can't wait for Romney's response. I'm not sure he'd agree to negotiations. Obviously Iran has gotten our hopes up before so I won't hold my breath here...but it's worth noting that these sanctions have crippled their economy. They just might have reached the breaking point

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20080 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:23 PM »
“Talking points” prepared by the CIA on Sept. 15, the same day that Rice taped three television appearances, support her description of the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. Consulate as a reaction to Arab anger about an anti-Muslim video prepared in the United States. According to the CIA account, “The currently available information suggests that the demonstrations in Benghazi were spontaneously inspired by the protests at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and evolved into a direct assault against the U.S. Consulate and subsequently its annex. There are indications that extremists participated in the violent demonstrations.”

"bububub cover-up!! Benghazi-gate!"
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20081 on: October 20, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »
Iran/US relations are probably the issue I've followed most closely, and I am completely psyched about the possibility of Khamenei being willing to strike a deal, forget what it means for the election.  It's not the threat of imminent war so much as the odds of war approaching one the longer the situation between the two countries festers.  De-escalation would be so nice.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20082 on: October 20, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
The administration is trying to walk back the reports of it being one-on-one, but clearly something is happening after the election.

This plus the CIA report on Libya should make Monday's debate interesting to say the least

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20083 on: October 20, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
Imma gonna rant here, so get your tl;dr gifs ready.

This whole faux-outrage over the Benghazi attack perfectly encapsulates why I gave up on the Republican party. After 9/11, it would have been easy for Democrats to jump atop the rubble and condemn Bush for allowing such a terrible attack on American. For not knowing that something this big was coming, for not putting more effort on fighting terrorism in his first 9 months, for not doing MORE. But they didn't. In part, obviously, because they didn't feel like committing political suicide, but also because I think they respected the President's right to respond to this crisis, with both words and actions. They let the President be the President.

Fast-forward to 2012 and you have the Republican candidate for President harping on the current president in the zero hour. It's been followed up by a conga line of outrage and consternation that Obama didn't use the right verbiage or that maybe he actually sympathizes with the killers and doesn't want this latest incident to turn the public eye on the campaign to slaughter Americans abroad [no one's said this, of course, but does anyone doubt the implication is there?]. Fox News and Tea Party doesn't respect the President and they don't respect his right as the duly-elected leader of this nation of respond to incidents like this. That's hardly anything new, as this has been their modus operandi for 5 years. They have the nerve, after two years of publicly-declared obstructionism, to pin the problems of the nation, the slow speed of the recovery, on the President and his party, who "just aren't willing to cooperate."

It's not enough to disagree with the President, it's not enough enough to dislike him. They hate him, hate him all the way down to his guts. He's a terrorist-sympathizer, an unworthy foreigner, a disgusting Communist, who doesn't understand what's so great about America and is doing his hardest to push through bills that will tear this country apart for his own amusement. He's not just wrong, he's EVIL. Mitt Romney's first day will included repealing every single piece of major legislation that Obama passed over 4 years in office. They want him gone yesterday, they want every shred of his existence expunged from history as soon as possible. They want everything he did to be either swept away or poisoned. And it makes me sick. I'm tired of hearing this on TV, I'm tired of my family spouting these lines they heard from Rush, Hannity, and whatever blubbering gob of flesh the Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch are pushing in their faces and their ears in as many venues as possible every second of every day.

In a better world, responsible mainstream media would point this out for what it is: a barely-concealed propaganda campaign to use whatever line of attack, whatever outright lie or misconception of the truth to undermine the President and make you, too, hate his guts just as much as they do. It's painful to watch this actually WORK, especially when a quick search on Google shreds these lines to bits with ease. But they won't do that, because the popularity and power of Fox News and right-wing media has forced an absurd "fair and balanced" approached to every story. You can't call out lies and hypocrisy from one individual, it's got to be a problem with both sides. Every story has to be couched in illogical mealy-mouthed PR-speak. "Some say this, but other say that." And it makes me sick. I hear it every single day, those little lies that dig under the skin of some members of my family and propagate the hate against the President. It does no good to bring up those easily found facts, because then I just become the Democratic mouth piece who doesn't understand what's wrong with the President and why he ought to go away as quickly as possible. It doesn't work, it never will, and it makes me sick.

I hate the Republican party, the Tea Party, Fox News and right-wing radio for what they've reduced members of my family to. And I won't vote for a Republican in a national election until it finally stops. But it won't stop, and thinking that quietly weathering the 2012 storm, will finally put an end to this madness is foolish. It won't stop, it'll only be that much more shrill the next time. Think 2012 is bad? Just wait until 2014 if the Democrats win in Congress or the Presidency. I want it to go away, I desperately want a return to at least some manner of decorum, at the very least, but I don't really believe it will. So having said that, I'm stocking up on Pepto Bismol, because it looks like I'm going to be feeling sick for quite a while.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #20084 on: October 20, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »

This whole faux-outrage over the Benghazi attack perfectly encapsulates why I gave up on the Republican party. After 9/11, it would have been easy for Democrats to jump atop the rubble and condemn Bush for allowing such a terrible attack on American. For not knowing that something this big was coming, for not putting more effort on fighting terrorism in his first 9 months, for not doing MORE. But they didn't. In part, obviously, because they didn't feel like committing political suicide, but also because I think they respected the President's right to respond to this crisis, with both words and actions. They let the President be the President.

Fast-forward to 2012 and you have the Republican candidate for President harping on the current president in the zero hour. It's been followed up by a conga line of outrage and consternation that Obama didn't use the right verbiage or that maybe he actually sympathizes with the killers and doesn't want this latest incident to turn the public eye on the campaign to slaughter Americans abroad [no one's said this, of course, but does anyone doubt the implication is there?]. Fox News and Tea Party doesn't respect the President and they don't respect his right as the duly-elected leader of this nation of respond to incidents like this. That's hardly anything new, as this has been their modus operandi for 5 years. They have the nerve, after two years of publicly-declared obstructionism, to pin the problems of the nation, the slow speed of the recovery, on the President and his party, who "just aren't willing to cooperate."

It's not enough to disagree with the President, it's not enough enough to dislike him. They hate him, hate him all the way down to his guts. He's a terrorist-sympathizer, an unworthy foreigner, a disgusting Communist, who doesn't understand what's so great about America and is doing his hardest to push through bills that will tear this country apart for his own amusement. He's not just wrong, he's EVIL. Mitt Romney's first day will included repealing every single piece of major legislation that Obama passed over 4 years in office. They want him gone yesterday, they want every shred of his existence expunged from history as soon as possible. They want everything he did to be either swept away or poisoned. And it makes me sick. I'm tired of hearing this on TV, I'm tired of my family spouting these lines they heard from Rush, Hannity, and whatever blubbering gob of flesh the Koch brothers and Rupert Murdoch are pushing in their faces and their ears in as many venues as possible every second of every day.

In a better world, responsible mainstream media would point this out for what it is: a barely-concealed propaganda campaign to use whatever line of attack, whatever outright lie or misconception of the truth to undermine the President and make you, too, hate his guts just as much as they do. It's painful to watch this actually WORK, especially when a quick search on Google shreds these lines to bits with ease. But they won't do that, because the popularity and power of Fox News and right-wing media has forced an absurd "fair and balanced" approached to every story. You can't call out lies and hypocrisy from one individual, it's got to be a problem with both sides. Every story has to be couched in illogical mealy-mouthed PR-speak. "Some say this, but other say that." And it makes me sick. I hear it every single day, those little lies that dig under the skin of some members of my family and propagate the hate against the President. It does no good to bring up those easily found facts, because then I just become the Democratic mouth piece who doesn't understand what's wrong with the President and why he ought to go away as quickly as possible. It doesn't work, it never will, and it makes me sick.

I hate the Republican party, the Tea Party, Fox News and right-wing radio for what they've reduced members of my family to. And I won't vote for a Republican in a national election until it finally stops. But it won't stop, and thinking that quietly weathering the 2012 storm, will finally put an end to this madness is foolish. It won't stop, it'll only be that much more shrill the next time. Think 2012 is bad? Just wait until 2014 if the Democrats win in Congress or the Presidency. I want it to go away, I desperately want a return to at least some manner of decorum, at the very least, but I don't really believe it will. So having said that, I'm stocking up on Pepto Bismol, because it looks like I'm going to be feeling sick for quite a while.

I never once flirted with being a Republican.  I always ranged somewhere from die hard communism to democratic socialism to just hoping the Democrats show some balls now and then.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20085 on: October 20, 2012, 09:32:56 PM »
tl;dr version: Republicans r dum
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20086 on: October 20, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
agreed on Libya though
[close]

Oblivion

« Reply #20087 on: October 20, 2012, 10:50:43 PM »
communist claptrap

As someone stated a few weeks ago, if you wanted to see how Republicans would have acted on 9/11 with a Democrat president, now you know.

The closest I've been to a right winger was a very short period where I flirted with libertarianism, but other than that I've never really allied with the right. Of course, although I didn't agree with them, I didn't think they were fucking scumbags until 2004 with the swiftboating thing. One of the few people I thought Republicans would never attack would be those from the military. But when I saw them call John Kerry a coward, traitor, etc. it was made pretty clear to me that these fucks don't give a damn about ANYONE that isn't 1) on their team 2)supports what they support. Obama never called McCain any of those things, and Democrats in general wouldn't stoop to such scumbag tactics.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
"A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20088 on: October 20, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
I think you've being naive if you think both sides don't use personal attacks.
dur

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20089 on: October 20, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »
True, but you'd have to be willfully ignorant to say that "both sides" spread misinformation equally as much and in the same way.

Aside from the odd apocryphal Lincoln quote, my liberal FB friends don't copy/paste the sort of BS chain emails that my conservative ones spam my feed with and that keep Snopes.com so busy.  Which makes the phenomenon that much weirder.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20090 on: October 20, 2012, 11:40:40 PM »
I think you've being naive if you think both sides don't use personal attacks.

Sure, we've all heard about how Mittens is a super-wealthy jerk who doesn't much care about poor folks. However, there is at least SOME evidence to support that. Obama has been called a communist, a terrorist-sympathizer, a Muslim, a Kenyan, and a traitor who wants to tear this country apart, with only the most spurious, easily-disproved scraps of evidence supporting those charges. Like Mandark said, you can argue that both sides do get into some name-calling, but there is a tangible difference between what's coming from both sides.

communist claptrap
But when I saw them call John Kerry a coward, traitor, etc. it was made pretty clear to me that these fucks don't give a damn about ANYONE that isn't 1) on their team 2)supports what they support. Obama never called McCain any of those things, and Democrats in general wouldn't stoop to such scumbag tactics.

A quote courtesy of Tea Party member Joe Walsh about his opponent:

“That’s what’s so noble about our heroes. Now I’m running against a woman who — I mean, my God, that’s all she talks about,” said Walsh, in video posted by Think Progress. “Our true heroes, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. Our true heroes, the men and women who served us, it’s the last thing in the world they talk about. That’s why we are so indebted and in awe of what they have done.”

For bonus sleaze points, he also complained about Tammy Duckworth buying a dress for the Democratic convention.
dog

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20091 on: October 20, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »
I guess this is the page where we pretend liberals didn't go apeshit over Bush. Hey guys, remember how we were going to attack Iran imminently, and Bush would declare martial law to cancel the 2006 (and 2008) elections? Trutherism, or the more tame "Bush knew and did nothing to justify war" arguments?

Dunno what you guys were doing in the aughts but I was knee deep in the Randy Rhodes and antiwar.com trenches

Not saying things aren't worse now, just saying liberals had plenty of crazy shit for 8 years

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20092 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:35 PM »
True, but you'd have to be willfully ignorant to say that "both sides" spread misinformation equally as much and in the same way.

Aside from the odd apocryphal Lincoln quote, my liberal FB friends don't copy/paste the sort of BS chain emails that my conservative ones spam my feed with and that keep Snopes.com so busy.  Which makes the phenomenon that much weirder.

The right has a weird fetish for conspiracy theories. Even the 9/11 truthers are mostly ultra right wing nutters.
©@©™

ToxicAdam

« Reply #20093 on: October 21, 2012, 12:12:52 AM »
What you mean to say is that white males with a proclivity for guns are more susceptible to conspiracy theories.

Although reflecting on that, there are plenty of people who buy into all kinds of conspiracies. Big Oil squelches electric motor technology, the Government created AIDS, the government allows drugs to be sold in the inner cities, etc
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:16:31 AM by ToxicAdam »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20094 on: October 21, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
I guess this is the page where we pretend liberals didn't go apeshit over Bush. Hey guys, remember how we were going to attack Iran imminently, and Bush would declare martial law to cancel the 2006 (and 2008) elections? Trutherism, or the more tame "Bush knew and did nothing to justify war" arguments?

Dunno what you guys were doing in the aughts but I was knee deep in the Randy Rhodes and antiwar.com trenches

Not saying things aren't worse now, just saying liberals had plenty of crazy shit for 8 years

There's a complete difference between that stuff (which all happened WELL AFTER the bullshit Iraq war) and what the GOP did re: Benghazi.  That's complete and total false equivalence.  Show me the Democrat saying Bush was incompetent and a pussy on 9/12, because that's what we're talking about here.  You can't equate some crazy ass leftist activists calling Bush Hitler in 2006 to the GOP nominee attempting to exploit a terrorist attack like that.  You're either being willfully obtuse or (more likely) trolling the shit out of me.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20095 on: October 21, 2012, 12:16:24 AM »
Well, what are the UN stormtroopers going to come take away if you don't have any guns?
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20096 on: October 21, 2012, 12:17:01 AM »
Well, what are the UN stormtroopers going to come take away if you don't have any guns?

...white women?
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20097 on: October 21, 2012, 12:18:39 AM »

...white women?

True, that's why I keep a several safely stored in my underground bunker for emergencies.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20098 on: October 21, 2012, 12:28:15 AM »

There's a complete difference between that stuff (which all happened WELL AFTER the bullshit Iraq war) and what the GOP did re: Benghazi.  That's complete and total false equivalence.  Show me the Democrat saying Bush was incompetent and a pussy on 9/12, because that's what we're talking about here.  You can't equate some crazy ass leftist activists calling Bush Hitler in 2006 to the GOP nominee attempting to exploit a terrorist attack like that.  You're either being willfully obtuse or (more likely) trolling the shit out of me.

I was making a general point on the idea that insane conspiracy theories/crazy emails/etc are predominantly exclusive to one group. There's no question the Libya shit has been disgusting, not just from the fringe folks (which is to be expected) but from mainstream republicans as well.

Himu

« Reply #20099 on: October 21, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »

I remember all of this because I was heavy into the anti-war movement and even went to a few protests in freshman year.
IYKYK