Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866120 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20700 on: October 31, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
:bow Nate Silver :bow2
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #20701 on: October 31, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
More like Dick More-ass, amirite?
©@©™

Oblivion

« Reply #20702 on: October 31, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »
EDIT: GODDAMN YOU JOE! :punch

:bow Dick Morris :bow2

Fixed.

Oblivion

« Reply #20703 on: October 31, 2012, 10:45:02 PM »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #20704 on: October 31, 2012, 11:53:32 PM »

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #20705 on: November 01, 2012, 03:26:11 AM »
Yeah guys, trust him. He's ran a business.

and you'll find market forces will drive prices down - just like they do with private healthcare and everything else that gets privatized.

that's EXACTLY how it worked out in the UK ! We loved that everything went up 10% a year no matter which Gas/Electricity/water supply you chose!

"But private companies will be forced to price competitively!*

* - unless they form a cartel like they always do.  :teehee. Should have read the small print."
O=X

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20706 on: November 01, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
In another bit of good news, it looks like Democrats will retain control of the Senate regardless of how the Presidential election goes:

Today, all major polling aggregators forecast that Democrats will keep a majority of the Senate no matter who wins the presidency. And that’s badly damaged the GOP’s hope of making sweeping policy changes.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20707 on: November 01, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
If absolutely everything breaks right they could gain a seat or two.
yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20708 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
Nope, Dick Morris just confirmed that they're going to lose all 53 seats, even the ones that aren't being contested.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20709 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
If somehow the Republicans come within two seats of taking back the Senate (everything suggests it won't be that close but whatever) they're gonna be kicking themselves for nominating two more teahadist lunatics in what should have been an easy win in Missouri and an easy defend in Indiana that now looks like a loss.  Legitimate gift from god, those tea partiers.
yar

« Reply #20710 on: November 01, 2012, 11:51:14 AM »
Yeah, as someone from the St. Louis area, I was pretty worried about McCaskill. But then Todd Akin showed up and basically handed the election over with that boneheaded rape remark and refused to step down. Who knew that the Tea Party people were less than savvy in political nuance?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20711 on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:32 PM »
It's pretty dope that, assuming polls are correct/nothing big happens in next few days, Elizabeth Warren will be a US senator :rock

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #20712 on: November 01, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
Karl Rove's "Get Out the Vote, White Guys" piece isn't as hilarious as Morris's, but it reinforces the idea that most people don't know how the electoral college works.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204846304578090820229096046.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read
vin

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20713 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Interesting to look at the polling leading up to the 2004 election.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry_sbys.html

Florida - RCP Avg: Bush +.5  Result: Bush +5
Ohio - RCP Avg: Bush +2.1  Result: Bush +2
Penns - RCP Avg: Kerry +.9 Result: Kerry +2
Wisc -  RCP Avg: Bush +.9  Result: Kerry +1
Iowa - RCP Avg: Bush +.3 Result: Bush +1

I think the takeaway from this is that if Romney really were in 'striking distance' his polling aggregate would need to be much closer than it is.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20714 on: November 01, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
Interesting to look at the polling leading up to the 2004 election.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/bush_vs_kerry_sbys.html

Florida - RCP Avg: Bush +.5  Result: Bush +5
Ohio - RCP Avg: Bush +2.1  Result: Bush +2
Penns - RCP Avg: Kerry +.9 Result: Kerry +2
Wisc -  RCP Avg: Bush +.9  Result: Kerry +1
Iowa - RCP Avg: Bush +.3 Result: Bush +1

I think the takeaway from this is that if Romney really were in 'striking distance' his polling aggregate would need to be much closer than it is.

plus chalk it up as more evidence that the challenger does not magically gain every undecided voter on election day - that vote is effectively split, thus benefiting whoever was ahead before the election

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20715 on: November 01, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
©ZH

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20717 on: November 01, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2012/11/it-was-a-dark-and-stormy-campaign

From a parody of George Will:

Energetic in body but indolent in mind, Barack Obama in his frenetic campaigning for a second term is promising to replicate his first term, although simply apologizing would be appropriate. His long campaign’s bilious tone — scurrilities about Mitt Romney as a monster of, at best, callous indifference; adolescent japes about “Romnesia” — is discordant coming from someone who has favorably compared his achievements to those of “any president” since Lincoln, with the “possible” exceptions of Lincoln, LBJ and FDR. Obama’s oceanic self-esteem — no deficit there — may explain why he seems to smolder with resentment that he must actually ask for a second term.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nah, that's actually George Will.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Energetic in body but indolent in mind?" Did he just call Obama athletic but dumb? Is this column actually about Javale McGee?
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:49:51 PM by Mandark »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #20718 on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
Ha!
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20719 on: November 01, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
It's always amusing when someone uses the "stop being so negative and mean-spirited!" line of attack against Obama and the Democrats.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20720 on: November 01, 2012, 03:31:53 PM »
After thinking long and hard about what a Romney administration's response to the next hurricane to hit his town would look like, Bloomberg today came out of his principled centrist ivory tower to endorse Obama.  Game, blouses.
yar

« Reply #20721 on: November 01, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
Excellent. That really helps Obama's chances of carrying New York.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20723 on: November 01, 2012, 04:48:15 PM »
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/blacks-should-vote-republican-ad-ohio.php?ref=fpnewsfeed

LMAO

Republican fringe groups trot out this old chestnut every election. I think I posted about it the last time on GAF during the last election.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20724 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
It's always amusing when someone uses the "stop being so negative and mean-spirited!" line of attack against Obama and the Democrats.

My father in law said this to me the other day. He said Romney would work with dems  whereas Obama said too many nasty things to the gop. I said I hadn't heard dems call the gop a muslim terrorist sympathizer that wasn't born in this country. He smiled and changed the subject.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #20725 on: November 01, 2012, 04:58:02 PM »
Also, that blacks vote for repub smacks of desperation.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20726 on: November 01, 2012, 05:43:07 PM »

My father in law said this to me the other day. He said Romney would work with dems  whereas Obama said too many nasty things to the gop. I said I hadn't heard dems call the gop a muslim terrorist sympathizer that wasn't born in this country. He smiled and changed the subject.

Yeah, I can just see Mitt "No Apology" Romney and his Tea Party pals reaching across the isle to work with Democrats after this election. They've just been waiting for some good spineless moderate dems to work with.
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20727 on: November 01, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »
oh LAWD i cant wait til the ad i just seen hits the net

NO SPOILERS but let me tell you it features aborted fetuses
pcp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #20728 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:49 PM »
I was hoping there would be some NLM videos this year...

Brehvolution

« Reply #20729 on: November 01, 2012, 08:07:00 PM »
Who you voting for?

Romney

Why?

I don't remember.

©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20730 on: November 01, 2012, 08:45:28 PM »
Quote from: Congressional Research Service report
The results of the analysis suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie.

However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution. As measured by IRS data, the share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009 recession. At the same time, the average tax rate paid by the top 0.1% fell from over 50% in 1945 to about 25% in 2009. Tax policy could have a relation to how the economic pie is sliced—lower top tax rates may be associated with greater income disparities.

I am shocked!

The New York Times reported on Thursday that Senate Republicans applied pressure to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) in September, successfully persuading it to withdraw a report finding that lowering marginal tax rates for the wealthiest Americans had no effect on economic growth or job creation.

Double shocked!
dog

Brehvolution

« Reply #20731 on: November 01, 2012, 09:12:34 PM »
Quote from: Congressional Research Service report
The results of the analysis suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie.

However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution. As measured by IRS data, the share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009 recession. At the same time, the average tax rate paid by the top 0.1% fell from over 50% in 1945 to about 25% in 2009. Tax policy could have a relation to how the economic pie is sliced—lower top tax rates may be associated with greater income disparities.

I am shocked!

The New York Times reported on Thursday that Senate Republicans applied pressure to the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service (CRS) in September, successfully persuading it to withdraw a report finding that lowering marginal tax rates for the wealthiest Americans had no effect on economic growth or job creation.

Double shocked!
Obvious news is obvious.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:42:14 AM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

« Reply #20732 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:49 PM »
So now science, statistics, mathematics and economics are all wrong. :lol
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20733 on: November 02, 2012, 11:27:25 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/us/politics/matt-romney-goes-to-russia-for-business.html?ref=politics&_r=0

Matt Romney is going on the Mitt Romney Apology Tour, not to apologize for America but just to apologize for Mitt Romney.
©@©™

« Reply #20734 on: November 02, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
I had an evaluation meeting yesterday with a parent. The district gets reimbursed by the state for certain services if kids are Medicaid eligible, but we need the parents to give us permission to check for eligibility. After I explained this to the mom, she gladly signed the form, but started going on about "Obummer" and how he doesn't do anything for her. I just smiled and nodded politely.
野球

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20736 on: November 02, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
The U.S. economy added an estimated 171,000 jobs in October, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics monthly employment report released Friday — exceeding analysts expectations, and sparing President Obama from lackluster economic news days before the election
dog

« Reply #20737 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:19 PM »
The U.S. economy added an estimated 171,000 jobs in October, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics monthly employment report released Friday — exceeding analysts expectations, and sparing President Obama from lackluster economic news days before the election

But it went UP .1%! HOW DARE YOU SAY ITS GOOD!
野球

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20738 on: November 02, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
according to romney: unemployment is higher now than it was when obama took office

by .1%

oh and let's ignore the fact that the job losses weren't as bad in january 2009 as they were a few months later
püp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #20739 on: November 02, 2012, 05:29:28 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20740 on: November 02, 2012, 05:37:14 PM »
I believe that's what is referred to as an "ice-cold burn."
dog

Oblivion

« Reply #20741 on: November 02, 2012, 06:50:56 PM »
Can't see the video. Summary, plz.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20742 on: November 02, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »

Romney: Obama said he's going to stop the rise of the oceans!

Audience: LOL!

Romney: And to heal the planet!

Audience: LOL!

Romney: My promise is to help you and your family!

Audience: *loud applause*

And the applause continues over shots of Sandy devastation.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20743 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:19 PM »

Romney saying "Obama says he wants to lower ocean levels and heal the earth" and then rolling his eyes while the RNC audience hoots with laughter and applause. Applause continues over clips of Sandy tear-assing around the northeast. "Let Mitt Romney know that climate change is no laughing matter."
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20744 on: November 03, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »

I don't know wtf these two pollyannas are lying to you for; this is roughly what I see when I watch the video:

ROMNEY RESPONDS TO A QUESTION ABOUT LIBYA BY PROJECTING A RAINBOW COLORED PARABOLIC ARC OF VOMIT ACROSS THE DESK AND INTO BOB SCHIEFFER’S WAITING MAW. THE FOCUS GROUP LINES JERK UPWARD IN APPROVAL. HE APOLOGIZES IN A CHORUS OF FIVE DISTINCT VOICES EMANATING FROM THE SAME MOUTH. “I ATE RAFALCA,” HE SAYS BY WAY OF EXPLANATION. THIS IS THE KIND OF DIMENSIONLESS WRAITH YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A BEER WITH.
yar

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #20745 on: November 03, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »
:bow
QED

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20746 on: November 03, 2012, 02:53:00 AM »
Geraldo calling out Fox's Libya obsession
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/11/02/geraldo-rivera-calls-fox-colleague-bolling-a-po/191083

And another video of a retired general explaining how quickly help arrived, while the Fox host continually attempts to claim there was no response (ie Obama let the people die)
http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/1...geous-c/191079

When you accuse the president of the United States of letting US government military personnel die you are crossing a very dangerous line. I understand Fox needs to spin the shit out of this for maximum damage/ratings, but this is disgusting. They're essentially accusing Obama of treason and murder.

The far, fringe right accused JFK of letting US and Cuban military personnel die during the Bay of Pigs but it stayed on the far fringe right. This is being broadcast nearly 24/7 on the most popular television news station in the county. When I read the stuff on twitter coming from the right about this...it sounds an awful lot like these people have a bloodlust for the president, with this "Benghazi-Gate" situation being the final straw, as if they're all demanding "something" be done. The rhetoric is genuinely scary, and will only get more toxic if Obama wins on Tuesday

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20747 on: November 03, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
I don't know, some protester held up a sign calling Bush Hitler, so both sides do it, really.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20748 on: November 03, 2012, 03:06:57 AM »
Obviously there were more than a few cases of military parents who accused Bush of being a murderer, and far left (internet) media doing the same...but there's a major difference here. As I said this is the #1 news station in the country, propagating pure treason charges against the president. They literally have the parents of the former SEAL believing Obama watched a live feed of his son getting killed, and did nothing. That he made a "political decision" that it benefited him more to let Americans die than save them.

Did the administration handle this perfectly? No. Did the CIA's involvement make this more complicated and messy? Yes. But the idea that we had the power to save these people but didn't because Obama said "fuck it, I have to go to Vegas tomorrow" is reprehensible.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 03:34:23 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20749 on: November 03, 2012, 04:09:18 AM »
He flat out said "the WH murdered my son" on Hannity and the right are fapping fast and furiously to that. I'm not blaming him because I know he's upset, but damn, you don't gotta run stuff like that as "news".
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:14:27 AM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20750 on: November 03, 2012, 07:24:20 AM »
This is the problem when you propagate  questionable rhetoric. It gives the other side the liberty to do the same down the road.

It feels like a never ending cycle that has kept escalating since the Reagan years.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #20751 on: November 03, 2012, 07:53:38 AM »
I just don't understand the reasoning why they think Obama just let them die. What possible motive could he have for doing that? What is his endgame here?

1. Watch some dudes get killed, eat some popcorn.
2. Prevent rescue efforts, then go party in Vegas.
3. ???
4. Profit
WDW

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20752 on: November 03, 2012, 10:09:58 AM »
3. Pal around with terrorists.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20753 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Chris Stevens had Obama's REAL birth certificate! :omg
dog

Phoenix Dark

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20755 on: November 03, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
http://www.dickmorris.com/in-the-last-few-hours-sudden-danger-signs-in-polling/

Even Dick Morris has given up on Romney and it's all Sandy's fault.  :'(
dog

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
bent

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20757 on: November 03, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
http://www.dickmorris.com/in-the-last-few-hours-sudden-danger-signs-in-polling/

Even Dick Morris has given up on Romney and it's all Sandy's fault.  :'(

Perhaps he sees this as a chance to save some face, but then again there's literally nothing that could happen to change an election from a 400 EV landslide to a slim win for the opponent - outside of Obama being caught diddling kids. Morris literally predicted Romney could get 400 EVs just a few days ago, but I'd imagine if republicans (and the Beltway) make this the narrative than it will stick. Remember, even mainstream commentators have argued Romney still had TEH MOMENTUM until the storm ruined it

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20758 on: November 03, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Dick Morris is a washed up has been. Nobody has taken him seriously in many a year. These types of pundits exist to fill the news hole and say a million crazy things and get plaudits when they are correct every blue moon and ignore the other 99% they are wrong. It's how cable news exists.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:30:11 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #20759 on: November 03, 2012, 04:37:35 PM »
@ppppolls: Our final Washington poll finds the state is likely to approve gay marriage- 52% support it, 42% are opposed
:rock