Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866182 times)

siamesedreamer

Re: so, Obama is president
« Reply #2760 on: March 20, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
According to a quick scan of Google results, one well-known Special Olympian, Loretta Claiborne, reportedly bowled a high of 178 in 1995. Rachel Register of Virginia bowled a 212 in 2006. Team Kentucky's top bowler, Keith Cotrell,  boasts a 150 average.

Tim Shriver also noted on GMA this morning that a Detroit Special Olympian has bowled three perfect games.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0309/Obamas_129.html

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #2761 on: March 20, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
According to a quick scan of Google results, one well-known Special Olympian, Loretta Claiborne, reportedly bowled a high of 178 in 1995. Rachel Register of Virginia bowled a 212 in 2006. Team Kentucky's top bowler, Keith Cotrell,  boasts a 150 average.

Tim Shriver also noted on GMA this morning that a Detroit Special Olympian has bowled three perfect games.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0309/Obamas_129.html

who cares

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2762 on: March 20, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
All the work we did, wasted on Leno. Maybe he does have too much on his hands/mind  :-\

Cheebs

« Reply #2763 on: March 20, 2009, 12:31:46 PM »
wtf pd, what does making a bad joke have to do with doing too much at once?

This is just the start of his media blitz. He is on Air America today doing a interview for them and then on ABC sunday night, then a prime time press conference on tuesday.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2764 on: March 20, 2009, 12:33:32 PM »
Why are you being such a slacky, we both are political minds. You have to see this is an atom bomb of a problem. Palin is ready to pounce oh god  :'(

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2765 on: March 20, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
New CBO deficit numbers:

FY09 $1.8T
FY10 $1.4T (double previous estimate)

Tax cuts for 95% of Americans!!!

Cheebs

« Reply #2766 on: March 20, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »
Call me when he actually breaks his promise and taxes the lower income brackets. Because yesterday he was still bringing up the line, he wouldn't do that if he was told he'd have to go against that soon.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2767 on: March 20, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
The Administration's long-awaited plan to save America's banks is being delayed again, government sources tell Time. Fears of an AIG-like backlash among potential private investors, and the difficulty of creating a model to price toxic assets on the banks' balance sheets, have both contributed to the delay, the sources say.

The slip is embarrassing for Treasury officials who have been assuring the media and the markets that the plan was coming, first in mid-February, and as recently as March 14 when Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner told Bloomberg TV he would release details soon. A senior Treasury department official says the plan isn't slipping, but other government officials say it is and could be unveiled anywhere from next week to early April.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1886729,00.html

Yet, he's got time to fill out his basketball bracket and go on Jay Leno. And here I thought this was the greatest financial crisis in the history of the solar system. Catastrophe, etc.  :maf

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2768 on: March 20, 2009, 01:37:52 PM »
I don't know what's cuter- PD pretending to freak out over the distinguished mentally-challenged fellow thing or sd suddenly remembering that he isn't supposed to like budget deficits.
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2769 on: March 20, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »
I don't know what's cuter- PD pretending to freak out over the distinguished mentally-challenged fellow thing or sd suddenly remembering that he isn't supposed to like budget deficits.

I know, right?  :lol

SD, are you honestly bitching about him filling out a bracket?  Fucking seriously?
püp

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2770 on: March 20, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »
Dude, I've always hated deficits. Second reason why I didn't vote for McCain.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2771 on: March 20, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

Yet, he's got time to fill out his basketball bracket

he picked almost all number one seeds, so it's not like he thought about it

Tonya

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #2772 on: March 20, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
Yet, he's got time to fill out his basketball bracket and go on Jay Leno. And here I thought this was the greatest financial crisis in the history of the solar system. Catastrophe, etc. 

The problem isn't that Obama's too busy dicking around, it's that Summers and Geithner are stubbornly trying to find a way to repackage Paulson's shitty plan of buying toxic assets from big banks at inflated values in a way that they can get past public scrutiny, and each new permutation of their idea runs into the same problems.

Those two shitburgers need the boot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:52:07 PM by Fragamemnon »
hex

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #2773 on: March 20, 2009, 02:15:07 PM »
Is this an issue? Are those that decry "political correctness" feigning outrage?

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #2774 on: March 20, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
Are those that decry "political correctness" feigning outrage?

duh. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2775 on: March 20, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »
Dude, I've always hated deficits. Second reason why I didn't vote for McCain.

I'm about 99.44% sure that you voted for W. in 2004, so I find your insistence that you "always" hated deficits kind of laughable.  If it's that important to you that you're having a cow about it during a severe, severe recession where the govt. actually NEEDS to run deficits then I would suggest that you go sit in the mooncalf section with FoC and Beardo.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2776 on: March 20, 2009, 02:22:28 PM »

I got you initially

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2777 on: March 20, 2009, 02:23:44 PM »

I got you initially

Only because my default state re: you is to WANT to yell at you.
yar

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2778 on: March 20, 2009, 02:42:16 PM »
Tonya

Cheebs

« Reply #2779 on: March 20, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
I read that Bush took a week long vacation at his ranch already at this point in his first term, how come republicans were ok with that but Obama can't dick around in LA for 2 days?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2780 on: March 20, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
I read that Bush took a week long vacation at his ranch already at this point in his first term, how come republicans were ok with that but Obama can't dick around in LA for 2 days?

Honestly, at this point in his first term not much was going on.  While I think they're being obnoxious tards for whining about it, you're being an absurd cheerleading fanboy for trying to compare the two.
yar

Cheebs

« Reply #2781 on: March 20, 2009, 03:10:57 PM »

Honestly, at this point in his first term not much was going on.  While I think they're being obnoxious tards for whining about it, you're being an absurd cheerleading fanboy for trying to compare the two.
He has gotten a shitload done in 60 days and is about to pass a massive budget, its not like Obama isn't working at breakneck speed here.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2782 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:08 PM »
I'm about 99.44% sure that you voted for W. in 2004, so I find your insistence that you "always" hated deficits kind of laughable.

Touche...

But, W's deficits were at most 3% of GDP. Not acceptable, but not horrible. I've always maintained he should have had some kind of trigger mechanism with the tax cuts that would have prevented the deficits from getting as big as they did - especially after 9/11. And don't even get me started on the Medicare PDB. Obama is like Bush on winstrall though. He's gonna make him look like the ultimate fiscal conservative in a couple years. If I could go back to 2004, then I would similarly vote 3rd party. That's a mistake I'll never make again.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2783 on: March 20, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »

He has gotten a shitload done in 60 days and is about to pass a massive budget, its not like Obama isn't working at breakneck speed here.

Jesus, are you really that DENSE?  I'm not talking about that.  I'm saying that it's DISINGENUOUS to compare taking a week long vacation during your first term when there's not a MAJOR, 2G2D RECESSION going on to Obama going west for a couple of days.  Trust me, I like making Republicans look bad as much as anyone, but you're just reaching here.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2784 on: March 20, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »
It's fitting that Fox news is running with the SO thing seeing that there viewers are only 1 or 2 IQ points away from being eligible to compete in the special olympics.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:20:38 PM by Zero Hero »
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2785 on: March 20, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
I'm about 99.44% sure that you voted for W. in 2004, so I find your insistence that you "always" hated deficits kind of laughable.

Touche...

But, W's deficits were at most 3% of GDP. Not acceptable, but not horrible. I've always maintained he should have had some kind of trigger mechanism with the tax cuts that would have prevented the deficits from getting as big as they did - especially after 9/11. And don't even get me started on the Medicare PDB. Obama is like Bush on winstrall though. He's gonna make him look like the ultimate fiscal conservative in a couple years. If I could go back to 2004, then I would similarly vote 3rd party. That's a mistake I'll never make again.

Again, you're smarter than this... or I had hoped you were.  W's books were cooked by not including the cost of the wars- that just magically showed up in the "debt" column at the end of the year to make the budgets look relatively sane. 

And I still fail to see what the big fuckin' deal of running hefty deficits during a severe recession is.  Then again, I likewise failed to see what was so terrible about the surpluses we were supposed to have at the beginning of the decade that necessitated the dumbest tax cut in history.  If deficits are so terrible, wouldn't it be prudent to build up a nice kitty during good times in case we needed it during the bad times?  But no!  Taxes are always evil and must always be cut.  Do you see why it's hard for me to take you guys seriously?
yar

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2786 on: March 20, 2009, 03:22:41 PM »
It's fitting that Fox news is running with the SO thing seeing that there viewers are only 1 or 2 IQ points away from being eligable to compete in the special olympics.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2787 on: March 20, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
And I still fail to see what the big fuckin' deal of running hefty deficits during a severe recession is.

Come on now. There's an obvious difference between running deficits during a recession and running an average deficit of over $870B for the next 10 years.

(That's actually probably much higher with the $1.6T extra they're projecting now. Divide that by 10, add it to the $870B previously projected, and its ~$1.03T per year.)

We're probably a lot closer on this than you give me credit for.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:30:10 PM by siamesedreamer »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2788 on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
Oh no, I'm as imperfect as Obama.

/cuts wrist
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2789 on: March 20, 2009, 03:48:47 PM »
A great quip after that Special Olympics gaffe would have been to say, "Joe Biden told me to say that".

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2790 on: March 20, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
A great quip after that Special Olympics gaffe would have been to say, "Joe Biden told me to say that".

:lol

I think that one of the great unintended pluses of the Obama presidency, no matter how long it lasts, will be the Biden Gaffe File.
yar

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2791 on: March 20, 2009, 09:42:05 PM »
Johnny Mac is getting all mavericky again ...

McCain speaks up for Geithner

Tim Geithner, the embattled US Treasury secretary, should be given a chance to succeed, says John McCain, the former presidential candidate, who is the first prominent Republican to speak up in Mr Geithner’s defence amid growing calls for his resignation.

Speaking to the Financial Times, Mr McCain said that the “perfect storm” over AIG “has been as explosive in a short period of time as anything I have seen”.

Mr McCain, who was one of the few Republican senators to vote in favour of Mr Geithner’s nomination after revelations of tax arrears, was speaking at the end of a week in which the Republican Party has targeted Mr Geithner amid mounting public anger over Wall Street bonuses.

“Everyone acknowledges he needs help,” said Mr McCain, in reference to the Obama administration’s difficulty in recruiting nominees to the Treasury department, where Mr Geithner remains the only official to have been confirmed.

Mr McCain also distanced himself from Republican “righteous indignation” over Mr Obama’s budget tactics. Many of Mr McCain’s colleagues fear Mr Obama will use the congressional “reconciliation” process, which enables the majority to circumvent an opposition filibuster, to smuggle through healthcare reforms and energy cap and trade in the budget.

Mr McCain said that a congressional short-cut could be employed by the administration that had been devised by Republicans and used by George W. Bush to push through tax cuts. “Republicans invented this,” he said. “I don’t like it but there are chickens coming home to roost.”

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2792 on: March 20, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
your right wing crazy for the day

[youtube=560,345]jqALdkTArqs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:11:59 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2793 on: March 20, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
HEAR MY COMPOSITE SELF FOR THE PHARAOH ZEUS!
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2794 on: March 20, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
http://www.newshounds.us/2009/03/20/megyn_kelly_melts_down_over_acorn.php
(skip the write-up and watch the video at the bottom)

jesus fucking christ
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:27:37 PM by Phoenix Dark »

Brehvolution

« Reply #2795 on: March 20, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
It's too bad a chick that hot  is made so ugly by her brain.
©ZH

Robo

« Reply #2796 on: March 20, 2009, 11:08:05 PM »
Our first distinguished black fellow - he with game!  (Thank you Satan!) ...SHNEERSH, distinguished black fellow game!  But I is honest!

:rofl :rofl
obo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2797 on: March 21, 2009, 01:39:08 PM »
sup

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #2798 on: March 21, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
mmmm, nappy-headed hos
duc

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2799 on: March 21, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
i laughed at the special olympics joke, btw

and the nappy-headed hos joke

it is my policy to laugh at and mock everyone i do not see in my bathroom mirror when i occasionally shave

what america needs is more cruel humor
sup

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2800 on: March 21, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »
Agreed, just not from the president of the United States

spoiler (click to show/hide)
although I definitely lol'd, and would give Obama a high five
[close]

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2801 on: March 21, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
i liked that you could hear people in the audience murmuring after the laffs

"HAHAHAHAHAHA....uhiamisupposedtolaughatthisidontknow...."

that made me laugh even harder
sup

Cheebs

« Reply #2802 on: March 21, 2009, 02:12:20 PM »
Obama told a off-color joke, it actually makes me like him a bit more. Humanizes him a bit. Perfect pc-type politicians are boring. Probably why I have always been a fan of Biden for years now, he is NEVER PC.

Probably why I loved it when earlier this week Biden sarcastically told someone "fuck you!" when they called him Mr. Vice-President instead of just Joe.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2803 on: March 21, 2009, 02:15:25 PM »
Obama struggles with jokes lol. I bet he has a long history of this stuff

Wright: what's that dirt on your forehead?
Ayers: it's Ash Wednesday...
Obama: lol sort of like a Holocaust remembrance type thing?
Ayers: ....
Wright: god damn..

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2804 on: March 21, 2009, 02:17:41 PM »
most precious and unique people?  lol
püp

Cheebs

« Reply #2805 on: March 21, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »
I have read before that Obama in private is pretty off-color in how he talks. He swears constantly apparently.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2806 on: March 21, 2009, 02:23:16 PM »
he's a giant fucking hypocrite, though
sup

Cheebs

« Reply #2807 on: March 21, 2009, 02:42:42 PM »
I dunno about the blowjobs. Based on his autobiography he was no Bill Clinton in his younger days. He didn't seem to have any luck with women in college and was pretty much a loner who stayed in his apartment reading books and smoking weed. I got the impression from his biography that Michelle was his real first serious gal pal, unlike Bill Clinton's autobiography where I lost track of all the girlfriends he talked about lol.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2808 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:22 PM »
pr- you're forgetting about distinguished mentally-challenged fellow strength

Also, lol @ Palin getting outraged about a joke and turning down money for special ed kids from the stimulus.  Can't make this shit up.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2809 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
They're too special for government money

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2810 on: March 21, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Krugman rips the administration's bank plan from limb to limb, drops it in a vat of acid, and then shits on the remains:

The Geithner plan has now been leaked in detail. It’s exactly the plan that was widely analyzed — and found wanting — a couple of weeks ago. The zombie ideas have won.

The Obama administration is now completely wedded to the idea that there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with the financial system — that what we’re facing is the equivalent of a run on an essentially sound bank. As Tim Duy put it, there are no bad assets, only misunderstood assets. And if we get investors to understand that toxic waste is really, truly worth much more than anyone is willing to pay for it, all our problems will be solved.

To this end the plan proposes to create funds in which private investors put in a small amount of their own money, and in return get large, non-recourse loans from the taxpayer, with which to buy bad — I mean misunderstood — assets. This is supposed to lead to fair prices because the funds will engage in competitive bidding.

But it’s immediately obvious, if you think about it, that these funds will have skewed incentives. In effect, Treasury will be creating — deliberately! — the functional equivalent of Texas S&Ls in the 1980s: financial operations with very little capital but lots of government-guaranteed liabilities. For the private investors, this is an open invitation to play heads I win, tails the taxpayers lose. So sure, these investors will be ready to pay high prices for toxic waste. After all, the stuff might be worth something; and if it isn’t, that’s someone else’s problem.

Or to put it another way, Treasury has decided that what we have is nothing but a confidence problem, which it proposes to cure by creating massive moral hazard.

This plan will produce big gains for banks that didn’t actually need any help; it will, however, do little to reassure the public about banks that are seriously undercapitalized. And I fear that when the plan fails, as it almost surely will, the administration will have shot its bolt: it won’t be able to come back to Congress for a plan that might actually work.

What an awful mess.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/21/despair-over-financial-policy/?scp=1&sq=The%20Geithner%20plan%20has%20now%20been%20leaked%20in%20detail.&st=cse

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2811 on: March 21, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
Not that I don't agree with Krugman, Stiglitz, etc but I have to ask you sd- if tomorrow Obama fired Geithner and Summers and hired Krugman and Stiglitz, would you back their more activist plan?  Would you decry the "interference of the govt. in the private sector"?  Somehow I think you would.

What boggles my mind is that this is the type of plan a Republican administration would have come up with.  Sigh.
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2812 on: March 21, 2009, 04:28:34 PM »
Summers and Geithner need to GTFO.  I'm tired of their uselessness.

Krugman and Stiglitz would be awesome replacements or at least Stiglitz anyway.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2813 on: March 21, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
I HAVE HAD IT WITH THESE MOTHERFUCKIN' RUBINITES IN MY MOTHERFUCKING GOVT!
yar

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2814 on: March 21, 2009, 06:15:36 PM »
sd- if tomorrow Obama fired Geithner and Summers and hired Krugman and Stiglitz, would you back their more activist plan?

Not sure who Stiglitz is, but I think Krugman knows what he's talking about. Same with Roubini.

And same with Lindsey Graham and Richard Shelby.  :smug

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2815 on: March 21, 2009, 06:19:13 PM »
I'm a fan of Stiglitz's work.  He was pretty critical of Summers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stiglitz
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #2816 on: March 21, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
Here's an article by Stiglitz on a bank plan that would work:  http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090323/stiglitz

Plus he was fired by the World Bank for criticizing it's policies, so you know he's good!
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #2817 on: March 22, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »
God, Gaborn couldn't be more fucking annoying than he is in the political threads.
püp

Cheebs

« Reply #2818 on: March 22, 2009, 09:42:23 AM »
The problem with summers/geithner is that there isn't a serious academic to balance them out.  geithner needed a second with some serious chops. 
Isn't he basically running the whole department by himself though? All the deputy's and the like Obama wants are being held up by the Republicans in the senate. Is any of Obama's lower level treasury guys from a different school of thought than summers/geithner? If so that would help a great deal.

siamesedreamer

« Reply #2819 on: March 22, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »
Isn't he basically running the whole department by himself though? All the deputy's and the like Obama wants are being held up by the Republicans in the senate.

Link?