Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866118 times)

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
 :lol :lol :lol

Flipped over to Hannity last night for the lulz and he said, regarding the tight NY race between Tedesco and murphy, that America was finally waking up and embracing republican ways.

:lol :lol
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
WARNING WARNING WARNING The link below contains spoilers if you haven't watched last night's episode of House.  WARNING WARNING WARNING

Kumar is going to be working in the White House!

Can legalized weed be far behind?
yar

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
lex luthor plant!
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
links?
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
oh, you typed montana and so i had no idea wtf was going on
Tonya

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Yeah, apparently Franken having more votes doesn't matter in that election. And the crawl of the judicial system is prolonging it. I would think that this should be highest on the "to do" list for the system there to name a candidate and move on.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Democrat Al Franken’s lead in Minnesota’s long-disputed Senate race increased to 312 votes Tuesday, making it mathematically impossible for Norm Coleman to win his state trial challenging the election outcome.
http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000003094559

Too bad miracle major Huckabee isn't Coleman's lawyer

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Yeah, apparently Franken having more votes doesn't matter in that election. And the crawl of the judicial system is prolonging it. I would think that this should be highest on the "to do" list for the system there to name a candidate and move on.

The worst is that Sen. Cornyn threatened WWIII (whatever that would mean) if the Dems try and seat Franken while Coleman's legal options are not completely exhausted, while acknowledging that could take years.
___

Brehvolution

I wouldn't be surprised if the Minn. courts put the kabosh on on their legal ideas right off the bat. But if that pans out exactly like that, I will have lost even more faith in the judicial system.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

What's up with this "don't criticize America while on foreign soil" bullshit about? Heard some people bitching about Obama's comments about the US being "arrogant." It makes a nice soundbyte but the total context of Obama's comments struck me as...real talk.

Dickie Dee

I wouldn't be surprised if the Minn. courts put the kabosh on on their legal ideas right off the bat. But if that pans out exactly like that, I will have lost even more faith in the judicial system.
I think he was talking about Coleman taking his appeals federal, IIRC
___

Brehvolution

What is he going to appeal with? If it is mathematically impossible for Coleman to produce more votes, what grounds do they have to keep this going on for years?
©ZH

siamesedreamer

The internals for that NYT/CBS poll are absolutely lolz-worthy.

Obama is still undoubtedly popular. There's no need for these news outlets to embarass themselves trying to prove it.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Does it drive you nuts that Obama is so popular and Republicans aren't?

:borys :borys
PSP

siamesedreamer

Not at all. The REPs deserve it. S'why I didn't vote for their presidential candidate.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I call them them the RIP.
PSP

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
Obama supports Bush wiretap program.

Change. :-\

he supported teleco immunity in the senate in a somewhat dramatic flip-flop, if I remember right. No suprise he wouldn't do so now.

I really don't care too much about such things, could never get whipped up into hysteria over FISA. But hey even if he is wrong at least he's pissing in the lolbertopian's cornflakes.
hex

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I'm not quite sure why he would drop torture, Gitmo, etc. - but not wiretapping?
PSP

Dickie Dee

I'm not quite sure why he would drop torture, Gitmo, etc. - but not wiretapping?
I think it's a little consistent, the wiretapping suit is about suing for previous wiretapping offenses, just like he's ended the torture policies yet some of the torture memos for the previous policies aren't going to be released.

I don't think he's still pursuing Bush's wiretapping policies in the future though ???
___

Mandark

• Icon
The internals for that NYT/CBS poll are absolutely lolz-worthy.

Obama is still undoubtedly popular. There's no need for these news outlets to embarass themselves trying to prove it.

"I don't see the need to talk about polls until Rasmussen releases one with results I like."

From the article, it looks like they're trying not to release information about past wiretapping, rather than going forward with a similar program (though they could very well be doing that also).  That's fairly consistent with what they're doing on the other topics.  There aren't going to be any major truth and reconciliation commissions.

Also there's a weird possible double-reverse where it might be better for the administration to take the wrong position.

See, if they fight this in court and lose, that would set a judicial precedent that keeps the executive branch from doing those things in the future.  If they released the information of their own volition, that can be interpreted as them retaining the right to secrecy in the future.

The opposite situation is the Ali Al-Marri case.  The Supreme Court was going to hear his case (on whether the government can indefinitely imprison someone without trial) but Obama said he would be transferred back to the court system and given a trial.  It's a good thing in the one instance, but if the Supremes had found in Al-Marri's favor it would have had much wider implications.

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
Oh yes, the internals argument. I remember seeing conservatives constantly trash polling in 2008 because they had democrats with too large of a registration lead over republicans. Except they all turned out more or less correctly. The network polls are far more accurate than those online dailies from the republican outlet rasmussen lol.

siamesedreamer

So, you're saying you believe a poll that has a 23% weighting for REPs is accurate?

I don't really care regardless. People are still rightfully giving him the benefit of the doubt. But, I think its a bit funny how the NYT/CBS have to skew the internals to come up with numbers a little higher than what they would have otherwise been.

siamesedreamer

Er...the treasury delaying the stress tests can't be good. Suppose that enables the banks for fudge their numbers as much as possible for their earnings reports. More lies.

siamesedreamer

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsnews/idINN0747118320090407?rpc=33

Check out the last quote:

But officials are worried about how the market will react to the stress test results if there is not a clear recovery path for a bank that is deemed to have a large capital need. The last thing Treasury wants to do is set off a panic, the source said.

That cannot be good.

Also, looks like the PPIP isn't drawing much interest:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=akOTNxeaTGzk&refer=home

That cannot be good either.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Shoulda voted McCain

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

Rman

Man, triumph, I almost forgot her.

Mandark

• Icon
I totally would have voted for Hillary!
« Reply #3268 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »
So, you're saying you believe a poll that has a 23% weighting for REPs is accurate?

Sure.  Nobody wants to cop to Republicanism these days.  Even you front like you're an independent.

Phoenix Dark

Mandark

• Icon
Saw that as the main Google News headline.

He's certainly striking while the iron's hot, isn't he?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
I'm just saying the obvious but there is no way that amnesty is that popular now with so many unemployed Americans.  A lot of democratic senators probably aren't going to be so supportive of something like that.  Especially ones in states with low hispanic populations.

Cheebs

I'm just saying the obvious but there is no way that amnesty is that popular now with so many unemployed Americans.  A lot of democratic senators probably aren't going to be so supportive of something like that.  Especially ones in states with low hispanic populations.
You'd be surprised. anti-immigration stuff hurt the republicans really really badly in 2006-2008. It went from a small democratic advantage to a nearly 3:1 advantage, republicans used to be competitive in california until they pushed hard against amnesty. The hispanic population is skyrocketing, the democrats want to lock them down as part of their base because if they do it will be very hard for them to lose elections. The dems won't be against this.

Brehvolution

here we goooo
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/09/us/politics/09immig.html?_r=1&hp

Where is the cheap labor going to come from if they are nationalized? Employers would have to pay minimum wage to the same people they probably payed $3/hr.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Milo Bloom headline of the day:  SECRET MUSLIM WITH RADICAL PASTOR HOSTS SEDER.
yar

Eric P

• Icon
Milo Bloom headline of the day:  SECRET MUSLIM WITH RADICAL PASTOR HOSTS SEDER.

worse than a muslim

he's a JEW!

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
also, there's a fun one burning up the charts DID OBAMA BOW TO THE SAUDI KING??!?!?!?!?!?!?
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon
also, there's a fun one burning up the charts DID OBAMA BOW TO THE SAUDI KING??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dick "Hooker Enthusiast with a Foot Fetish" Morris remarked the other night on Hannity I think it was that Obama's European trip was basically the equivalent of repealing the Declaration of Independence.
yar

Eric P

• Icon

Dick "Hooker Enthusiast with a Foot Fetish" Morris remarked the other night on Hannity I think it was that Obama's European trip was basically the equivalent of repealing the Declaration of Independence.

he gave america back to the queen in secret london meeting
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I can confirm that after meeting with my cabal of Jewish bankers for our annual Passover Matzo-Brye breakfast summit, that the United States of America was indeed sold back the U.K. for some Dr. Dre mixtapes and a bag baked Doritos.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
You'd be surprised. anti-immigration stuff hurt the republicans really really badly in 2006-2008. It went from a small democratic advantage to a nearly 3:1 advantage, republicans used to be competitive in california until they pushed hard against amnesty. The hispanic population is skyrocketing, the democrats want to lock them down as part of their base because if they do it will be very hard for them to lose elections. The dems won't be against this.
Yeah, but back then there wasn't a HUGE risk of losing red-blooded, umemployed voters.  I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of dems throw obama under the bus over this proposal.  I think that whatever plan does pass, hispanics will be disappointed.

Cheebs

Yeah, but back then there wasn't a HUGE risk of losing red-blooded, umemployed voters.  I wouldn't be too surprised if a lot of dems throw obama under the bus over this proposal.  I think that whatever plan does pass, hispanics will be disappointed.
Those type of white voters you describe are not nearly as important to the democratic coalition as the rising Hispanic population, and they are becoming less and less vital for electoral reasons. If they lock up the Hispanic vote they can ensure Nevada/Colardo/Arizona/etc are theirs in all future elections. With that they don't need those red-blooded white blue collar voters of the mid-west.

Democrats will push hard for the more pro-amnesty type of immigration reform, it would be politically stupid not to.

Phoenix Dark

I dunno if it's "amnesty." He's said countless times that those who illegally got in will be put in the back of the line and fined; it's not like he's going to just give them a magical golden card and make them citizens. Making the process easier for folks to become citizens seems like a good idea to me

But of course it won't be framed like that, and with folks losing jobs I'd be interested in seeing how this plays out.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
I can confirm that after meeting with my cabal of Jewish bankers for our annual Passover Matzo-Brye breakfast summit, that the United States of America was indeed sold back the U.K. for some Dr. Dre mixtapes and a bag baked Doritos.
buy low, sell high

Eric P

• Icon
and definitely don't buy while high

Tonya

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon

I live in a state with record high unemployment, and to be honest I'm not seeing the anti-immigrant sentiment. People are more pissed off at/blaming the executives and bankers about the job issue rather than immigrants.

It's not the white middle-class winner issue for conservatives that they think it is.
hex

Eric P

• Icon
and definitely don't buy while high

Last time that happened I ended up with two Mel Gibson movies and beef flavored tomato juice :-\

i don't know which of those things is the most horrific

probably the tomato juice
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
but it's close

it's DAMN close
Tonya

Human Snorenado

• Icon
This is easily settled- was either of the two Gibson flicks Passion of the Christ?
yar

Eric P

• Icon
WHY DOES THAT EXIST?
Tonya

Brehvolution

©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Imma put that on some ramen noodles. Ghetto spaghetti  :o

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
i'd brush my teeth, then drink a glass

siamesedreamer

Anyone know if the mark-to-market changes had an effect on the supposed Wells Fargo earnings? Seems awfully convienent. But, I think Wells Fargo was actually one of the banks in the best position.

siamesedreamer

OK. So I guess it still took some accounting tricks then. What's interesting is that WF announced a profit and then all the other banks who are in horrific position rally. I read something earlier today about GE Capital sitting on a $45B loss.

Oh and supposedly all the banks "passed" the stress tests.

Herr Mafflard

new comic book out in june

In the cartoon, he [Obama] takes on his nemesis, Sarah Palin, who sports a wolf skin cape and her trademark glasses - and very little else. Obama will also feature in another book, 'Drafted: One Hundred Days', about an intergalactic war.

Eric P

• Icon
drafted is a pretty damn cool book on its own

but i guess obama is the magical sales negro ever since everyone went gaga for that fucking lame spiderman book
Tonya

Cheebs

drafted is a pretty damn cool book on its own

but i guess obama is the magical sales negro ever since everyone went gaga for that fucking lame spiderman book
Put Obama on the cover of something and sales instantly skyrocket. Plus it might have to with the fact Obama likes comics and claims to still collect Spider-Man and Conan the Barbarian comics (probably why they used Spider-Man and this conan looking thing for his appearances).