Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866766 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I'm surprised Shep Smith still has a job at Fox News after this:

[youtube=560,345]m9JE5SBm9UU[/youtube]
PSP

Veidt

:lol

btw, how do I get my tag visible?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Senior Member can make tags.
PSP

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
I love Morning Joe. He disagrees with Obama A LOT, being a Republican and all but if more Republicans acted like him the party would be in a far better place going forward into 2010.

Veidt

Senior Member can make tags.

Thanks.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Beck...how does one respond to that. He's the ring leader of the crazy circus right now. I'd imagine his theatrics are fake but that's not the case for making of his delusional fans.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I love Morning Joe. He disagrees with Obama A LOT, being a Republican and all but if more Republicans acted like him the party would be in a far better place going forward into 2010.

That's because he's socially liberal - his ideaology comes into play when the economy, military, etc are involved.
PSP

Cheebs

That's because he's socially liberal - his ideaology comes into play when the economy, military, etc are involved.
Yeah, its not just that though. He isn't really firey about it. He is calm and rational even though I disagree with him on all those issues you mentioned.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Coverage of a tea party: Shock, they treat it with all the meaning as a sports event.

Holy shit... Northport? That's pretty close by, I should've gone there for the lulz.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and to try and pick up girls
[close]
^_^

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
Before you could say “Marquis de Lafayette,” it was time to hurl tea. A man with a megaphone gave a warning about littering. Then a bagpiper led the crowd through the harbor town’s loveliest taxpayer-supported amenities, from the municipal gazebo in the municipal park, across the municipal parking lot and down the municipal dock.

Delicious.

So Franken won today.

Is this shit over in Minnesota now?
野球

Cheebs

So Franken won today.

It should have ended in November. Coleman will keep his suit as long as he legally can.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
So Franken won today.

It should have ended in November. Coleman will keep his suit as long as he legally can.

Minn Post reporter thinks Franken will likely be seated May-June one way or another.
yar

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
reminder that republicans were opposed to it because they think counting votes is cheating

also i love the reactions of people to the pirate thing yesterday, where they all said obama would cave in and as soon as it turns out he set the rescue operation up, they get upset and call him names in order to literally defy reality
wtc

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
So Franken won today.

you can pry the seat from their cold dead hands!
Tonya

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Al Franken assassinated mere hours after winning Minnesota; opponent's shaky alibi of staying home to watch "Chuck" doesn't hold up after recent Neilsen ratings
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I for one can't wait for Franken to show up in the Senate, especially after the way the GOP tried at all costs to keep him out and then to delay his inevitable arrival.  I bet he has some great bills and resolutions cooked up.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Al Franken sucks.
PSP

Rman

Minnesota really looks bad in all this.  I mean this has been nearly half a year.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Al Franken sucks.

Your milquetoast tendency towards centrism and your bad taste in humor probably led you to that conclusion. 

Let me assure you, however, that anyone who thinks up Supply Side Jesus does not, in fact, suck.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
No, he just sucks.  Yes, what the Democrats need is another extremely left leaning populist - only this one writes jokes (that were funny twenty years ago)!

He's just as much of a blowhard as Glenn Beck.
PSP

Crushed

No, he just sucks.  Yes, what the Democrats need is another extremely left leaning populist - only this one writes jokes (that were funny twenty years ago)!

except glenn beck is literally insane and is responsible for deaths and has no remorse for that, whereas al franken is just a somewhat unfunny comedian who honestly cares about human beings

tl:dr you're in "heh, the answer is somewhere in... the middle " high school freshman mode out of a desire to be intellectually and morally superior to as many people as possible
wtc

Human Snorenado

• Icon

None of this refutes the sheer awesomeness of Supply Side Jesus.  I just think you're jealous of one of your own making it to the big time.
yar

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
He's not one of us - we don't need public seats of office.  We operate in the shadows.  Franken is a poseur; we have disowned him as nothing more than a court jester.  He does nothing for our way of life.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier

except glenn beck is literally insane and is responsible for deaths and has no remorse for that, whereas al franken is just a somewhat unfunny comedian who honestly cares about human beings

Seriously, dude?
PSP

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Fuck Willco, Franken is awesomeness, his humor is topnotch

I'm getting sick of this DURR DURR I HATE ALL PARTISANS! When someone like Franken goes out of his way not to be an idealogue, but gets tossed in with vile bile like Coulter, Limbaugh, etc...
___

Phoenix Dark

Wow, I agree with Willco for a change. Franken  ::)

that being said, I hope to god he shows up to his first senate seating in drag or some weird shit
4. What's next?. Coleman has promised an appeal to the state Supreme Court, but I would not count on it. He might decide that his political future in Minnesota requires him to bow out gracefully at this point. The countervailing factor is the national interests of the Republican party, which want to keep a 59th Democrat out of the Senate for as long as possible. If Coleman appeals, it is possible that the Minnesota Supreme Court would reach the equal protection issues more directly, but even if it did, I'd be surprised to see a different result.
http://electionlawblog.org/archives/013410.html

Phoenix Dark

[youtube=560,345]NQwGFDnIVeU[/youtube]

Beck's no Jesus afterall

Dickie Dee

Why??

Please attempt a coherent answer please.
___

Mandark

• Icon
Mamacint is right.

Willco's wrong but I see how it's an easy impression to pick up.

Crushed's reaching a bit, but there's definitely a point there.

PD is a human compass who points to wrong.

Phoenix Dark

Why??

Uhh, I don't think he's funny at all. I find his brand of partisan commentary/politics to be distasteful, and it just makes me roll my eyes; I'm not going to say he's the liberal equivalent of Sean Hannity or Coulter because he certainly isn't. Truth be told he just strikes me as a huge asshole who doesn't realize he's not funny (sort of like me). Yea Hannity/Coulter/Beck are assholes too, but they get into manipulative shit, distortions, and fan hate. Fraken doesn't do any of that, he just gets on people's nerves

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

PD is a human compass who points to wrong.

:lol
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
...again.

Supply Side Jesus isn't funny?

Even someone who likes Creed should be able to admit that's good stuff.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Also, holy shit @ Mandark.  PD, if you don't change your tag to "a human compass who points to wrong" RIGHT NOW you'll never, EVER get into the cool kids' club.

...I'll also accept "The Pop Culture Mark Halperin".
yar

Dickie Dee

Edit: lol, I was grumpy, but Mandark applied ether in a way i never could
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:04:03 AM by Mamacint »
___

Phoenix Dark

Why??

Uhh, I don't think he's funny at all. I find his brand of partisan commentary/politics to be distasteful, and it just makes me roll my eyes; I'm not going to say he's the liberal equivalent of Sean Hannity or Coulter because he certainly isn't. Truth be told he just strikes me as a huge asshole who doesn't realize he's not funny (sort of like me). Yea Hannity/Coulter/Beck are assholes too, but they get into manipulative shit, distortions, and fan hate. Fraken doesn't do any of that, he just gets on people's nerves

ACORN ,Goerge Soros!!

Brilliant retort. I'm guessing you're disappointed with my answer, and the lack of ammunition I provided you with.

*returns to O'Reilly clips from this week*

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Hating on Franken and people like him on the left is the easy out for people like Pee Dee and Federwang to assuage their guilt at taking sides and not trying to present a David Broder-esque "let's all hold hands and be bipartisan, because anything less is illegitimate" front.  Being able to say "but I don't like Al Franken or Keith Olbermann either" after ripping into idiots like Rush, Beck or Hannity gives them the illusion of being, dare I say it, FAIR AND BALANCED.

Basically, they're worried about being labeled a partisan so they temper their right bashing with the easy slap at a Franken or an Olbermann.  Then Maurice goes on to write a paragraph about how he loves the "boyishly engaged" simpleton Chris Matthews, or how noted loofah enthusiast Bill O'reilly gives him the lulz.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
That's cool and all, Cohen... but surely you can acknowledge the hilariousness that is Supply Side Jesus, no?

yar

Dickie Dee

That is something that continually sticks in my craw. I'm hardly a Michael Moore fanboy, but the thought of hey "he says some shit, Ann Coulter says some other shit" and then shrugging your shoulders without actually looking at what was said peeves me off like nobodies business.
___

Phoenix Dark

Hating on Franken and people like him on the left is the easy out for people like Pee Dee and Federwang to assuage their guilt at taking sides and not trying to present a David Broder-esque "let's all hold hands and be bipartisan, because anything less is illegitimate" front.  Being able to say "but I don't like Al Franken or Keith Olbermann either" after ripping into idiots like Rush, Beck or Hannity gives them the illusion of being, dare I say it, FAIR AND BALANCED.

Basically, they're worried about being labeled a partisan so they temper their right bashing with the easy slap at a Franken or an Olbermann.  Then Maurice goes on to write a paragraph about how he loves the "boyishly engaged" simpleton Chris Matthews, or how noted loofah enthusiast Bill O'reilly gives him the lulz.

Nearly all the conjecture in this post is wrong. I'm not concerned about appearing bipartisan by liking or disliking blowhards and tv pols. While I'm not comparing their mental states there's very little difference between Beck and Olbermann's theatrics and diva egos. In terms of content/intent obviously there are huge differences

I think Matthews is hilarious. I think O'Reilly is entertaining. If these two opinions make me a simpleton...eh alright. I dunno why anyone would watch either show for in depth analysis of anything outside of political history (in Matthews' case) or grumpy old man antics (in O'Reilly's case).

I like the idea of bipartisanship. Most people like the idea of working together towards common goals, putting differences aside, etc. But that's impossible to do when one side couldn't care less about solving a problem, and instead attempts to score as many cheap/expendable political points as possible. It requires two players, and that just doesn't happen when one side spends all their time demonizing the other. I forgot which EBer said it's like trying to agree on a dinner selection with someone who's only interested in ordering a pie of feces sprinkled with glass. You're not gonna find any common ground with that type of person, unless you don't give a shit about hepatitis.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:20:29 AM by Phoenix Dark »

Cheebs

Franken was in the movie Trading Places with Eddie Muprhy and Dan Akyrod. I love that movie therefore I love Franken.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Franken was also a writer in the SNL heyday, but that doesn't mean he should be writing policy.

Franken sucks.  Just because the Republicans tried to hinder his bid for the Senate - looking arguably stupid in the process - doesn't make him any less of a blowhard.
PSP

Cheebs

There are plenty of blowhards in the senate, on both sides. He won't tip the scale much. Better him than Norm Coleman.

Although I suspect he'll become one of those TV senators who appear constantly on sunday morning shows and cable news.

Dickie Dee

Franken was also a writer in the SNL heyday, but that doesn't mean he should be writing policy.

Franken sucks.  Just because the Republicans tried to hinder his bid for the Senate - looking arguably stupid in the process - doesn't make him any less of a blowhard.

He's probably more wonkish than 90% of currently sitting Senators.
___

siamesedreamer

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601130&sid=aVgwamEW_98I&refer=environment

Fuckers were into everything.

Also, Goldman Sachs is saying the AIG bailout had zero impact on their earnings (ie CDS payouts). More lies...

Phoenix Dark

Dear Friend:

The strength of our democracy is built on a fair and accurate system of elections. Our Constitution provides for Due Process and for Equal Protection in order to better guarantee the enfranchisement of every voter.

Unfortunately, those fundamental principles are under attack in Minnesota. Since Senator Norm Coleman was first ahead by hundreds of votes at the end of election night, the Democrats have aggressively worked to change the rules of the game after it's been played.

Last night, they succeeded in convincing a three-judge panel to issue a fundamentally misguided ruling that disenfranchises over 4,000 Minnesota voters. They did so by imposing a different, and stricter, standard for votes to be counted rather than following the rules that were in place in Minnesota on Election Day.

In doing so, Constitutionally-valid Due Process and Equal Protection concerns have been raised...and as of yet, have not been resolved. Which is exactly why Senator Coleman is appealing this decision to the Minnesota Supreme Court: the votes of over 4,000 Minnesotans disenfranchised by this court's opinion deserve to be counted.

It's frankly shocking that many of the same Democrats who so loudly decried voter disenfranchisement during the Florida recount in 2000 have so quickly run away from that principle when it no longer fits their political agenda.

Nonetheless, Republicans, and the NRSC in particular, remain committed to a full and fair resolution of this election contest and stand firmly behind Senator Norm Coleman.

Your strong and continued support is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Senator John Cornyn
Chairman
National Republican Senatorial Committee
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/04/cornyn-stands-by-coleman-in-appeal.php

Dickie Dee

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
And in Cavuto’s defense, if you are planning simultaneous tea bagging all around the country, you’re going to need a Dick Armey.

:rofl

___

Mandark

• Icon
Lordy, the copy writers just went to town on that, didn't they?

Crushed

look, coleman was ahead by hundreds of votes on election night. sure, only a small percentage of votes had been returned, but he was ahead. he reached the cookie jar and shouted "first!", he wins, them's the rules.
wtc

Dickie Dee

Lordy, the copy writers just went to town on that, didn't they?

I know I should be a better person, but I giggled incoherently through the whole thing.
___

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Well if this don't beat all.  It appears that in the approval of absentee ballots for NY-20, the former Congresswoman and current US Senator just had her ballot challenged by the Republicans.

This just in from Columbia County: when Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s absentee ballot came up in the queue, the poll watchers for Jim Tedisco objected to it, saying the senator was in the county on election day and should have voted in person.

And they wonder why they lose elections.
yar

Rman

Apparently, the DHS is saying that the recession may be fueling right wing extremism.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopNews/idUKTRE53D5SH20090414

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
They've been saying that a while.

I attended a presentation with a guy from Homeland Security in 2006.  Even then, he said at that point, the department believed that domestic (right wing) terrorists were a bigger concern than international terrorists.
🍆🍆

siamesedreamer

I believe the media's worship of Obama hit critical mass today with their coverage of the new dog. Absofuckinglutely pathetic.

Eric P

• Icon
Tonya

Crushed

republican amnesia is setting in so hard

"deficit spending!? animals!? slight faux-pas with foreign leaders!? this is unprecedented! impeach this monster, hold a tea party to protest taxes (that are actually being cut)"
wtc

Mandark

• Icon
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:washingtonpost.com+barney+terrier&hl=en&start=20&sa=N

What's amuses me is how effortlessly sd reaches such a high pitch of outrage.

siamesedreamer

He even named the dog after his initials. How fitting.

Eric P

• Icon
Tonya

Mandark

• Icon
[youtube=560,345]S4UEv_jjPL0[/youtube]

edit:  argh goddam Eric P