Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866170 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Why do I give a shit what he thinks? Oh wait

Johnston also is pursuing his own book deal. He is working as a carpenter while also pursuing a movie deal.

This is like soap opera levels of stupidity. Her book deal was on the table before the resignation, I'd imagine a reality tv show with her as governor would be pretty damn popular. Don't get me wrong - money was the main reason she left. But I don't need Bristol's ex to tell me that

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Yeah but to govern, you actually need to do some work in Juneau every once in a while.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

Only if I get to bang Meghan McCain. She's a black man's dream

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Fuck you, I saw her first! :drool
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
It's a fun read, but obviously slanted.

It's a four page version of what I've already said!
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
Palin editorial on carbon cap-and-trade.

It's the only time I can recall someone unironically deploying an exclamation point on the Washington Post op-ed page.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I'm ignorant to the cap-and-trade bill, but will it bring about financial armageddon for the impoverished, as the Republicans say?
PSP

Phoenix Dark

I wonder who wrote it for her

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I am pretty sure there is one guy that writes these things for Palin, Newt, Pat Buchanon, Bill Kristol, etc.

It all sounds the same.

We must find this man.
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
I bet she mostly wrote it herself.

The meandering structure, the shot at the "chattering class" and their "gossip", the energy "that God created right underfoot on American soil", the exclamation point (a total chick move).  There's a lot of Palin in that piece.

Kristol, or any store brand conservative polemicist, would have organized it better and inevitably used at least two of the following phrases: "oil shale", "reprocessed nuclear waste", "carbon sequestration", "cooling trend since 1998", and "Cuban offshore drilling".  Palin is sympatico with the talking points, but she doesn't have the attention span to memorize them.

For an example of something blatantly ghostwritten, check out "Mike Huckabee's" Foreign Policy piece.  "Tsarist history is a case study in the struggle between westernizers and Slavophiles."  You said it, Huck.

Of course, I read Audacity of Hope cover to cover without realizing Bill Ayers wrote it.  So what do I know?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
hey look the f22 is a broken pile of military-industrial wank, who knew

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070903020_4.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2009071001019

but we need this for freedom :usacry

That's what happens when you go to Lockheed with your defense/aerospace needs.
^_^

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
http://mediamattersaction.org/factcheck/200907140002

Palin lied?  :omg

Makes me question her "God fearing" ways.
©ZH

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

For an example of something blatantly ghostwritten, check out "Mike Huckabee's" Foreign Policy piece.  "Tsarist history is a case study in the struggle between westernizers and Slavophiles."  You said it, Huck.

Mike Huckabee's knowledge of foreign countries:

MMA

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
looks like they finally found obama's kenya birth certificate:

duc

Oblivion

My roommates wanna see Obama hanged because he 'lied' to the entire country.  :'(

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Punch each and every one of them in the face for me and remind them that the republicans kept their education low to keep them stupid and ignorant.

or direct them to:
Factcheck.org
mediamatters.org

They just may punch themselves in the face instead.

©ZH

M3wThr33

My roommates wanna see Obama hanged because he 'lied' to the entire country.  :'(

HANGED? :|
The only people we really hang are.... OH. :|

Mandark

• Icon
looks like they finally found obama's kenya birth certificate:

http://assets.236.com/images/photo2/3363/original/original.jpg

That reminds me.  Screw your SAT, I scored a perfect 10 on the APGAR!

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
 :maf"GET OFF MY PHONE!!!":maf

lol
jon

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
http://www.cincinnatusblog.com/myson/?gclid=CNPQ9I7n2psCFQydnAodd3rX-w

Just a nice little piece for all of you here on EB.  ;)

Have to say, I like the Churchhill quote, though it claims I have no heart.

“A man younger than 30 who’s not a liberal has no heart and a man older than 30 who’s not a conservative has no brain” - Winston Churchill.

But yea, 700 Billion from Bush. 800 Billion from Obama, and yet we are still losing a ton of jobs each month and the recession is still here. I thought all that spending and bailing out was going to fix things  :lol ::)

XDF

Brehvolution

Fear mongering from a conservative site? I never would have guessed.
50 years from now you could talk to your grand kids about how fought against all the nice things they have now when you were younger.  ;)
You could say things like:

"back in my day, we paid out the ass for health care."

"back in my day, I thought all those scientists were full of shit about climate change and was against the mean ol' government for putting carbon restrictions on companies to force them to get more efficient. Boy is my face red about that."

I would rather have my grand kids "saddled with debt" then have them live in a ruined, toxic environment.

©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Was listening to a Christian radio channel and the host was lambasting the health care overhaul. Kept complaining that because "3%" of the country need health care, Obama is gonna fuck it up for everyone else.

But if people like their current health care plan they can keep it right?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
"3%"?  :lol

Yes, people can retain their health care.  A public option will only drive their costs down.

And - yes! - health insurance companies will lose money, but since when did we care about an industry that routinely fucks us over?
PSP

Ganhyun

I just hope that all these poor people without healthcare (and those working without it) can afford it since if the current plan they are looking at passes those who dont purchase healthcare will be penalized for not buying. Wonder what kind of penalty there will be?

XDF

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Nice FUD.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106677783

Currently yea, but doesn't Obama want a bill that doesn't mandate people (not talking about businesses) buy into the plan? The bill isn't final

Ganhyun

50 years from now you could talk to your grand kids about how fought against all the nice things they have now when you were younger.  ;)

"back in my day, I thought all those scientists were full of shit about climate change and was against the mean ol' government for putting carbon restrictions on companies to force them to get more efficient. Boy is my face red about that."

I would rather have my grand kids "saddled with debt" then have them live in a ruined, toxic environment.

Let me fix this.

Back in my day, we didn't have to wait 6 months to go to the doctor for a routine physical.

Back in my day, before the carbon credit tax was imposed on us, our light bills were only around 75-150 dollars a month instead of the 750 now. Too bad only the biggest companies around could survive and now have no competition whatsoever.

Back in my day, a coke was $1 to 1.35 for a bottle instead of $15 now.

I would honestly rather my grandkids be able to actually eat something besides ramen noodles and saltine crackers.

But hey, since you Liberals want to be so far in debt, why not pass a law and give you guys some of these services you so desperately want now and only you guys get to use them?  That way conservatives don't have to worry about it and you get what you want.

Or you could just give me your credit card/bank account info and I'll give you that debt you want for free. :)
XDF

Phoenix Dark

Ganhyun

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106677783

Currently yea, but doesn't Obama want a bill that doesn't mandate people (not talking about businesses) buy into the plan? The bill isn't final

Yea buying the public option isnt mandatory for what Obama wants, but that little bit about those that don't buy getting penalized isnt cool. Hopefully it gets removed from whatever plan that ends up passing. Also, the current plan on the table is being shown as raising costs instead of cutting, which was the whole point of this healthcare plan wasn't it?

But yes currently they are trying to rework bills due to republican and blue dog democrat opposition.  So this plan may end up totally scrapped.
XDF

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I get so frustrated reading babble like that - it's difficult for me to muster the energy to reply.  So I will wait for Mandark to do it for me.
PSP

Ganhyun

I get so frustrated reading babble like that - it's difficult for me to muster the energy to reply.  So I will wait for Mandark to do it for me.

typical democrat. lazy and wants someone else to do it for him. ;)

PD, thanks for the link, it has the penalty info I was looking for in it.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:21:58 PM by Ganhyun »
XDF

Phoenix Dark

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=news-000003168293

So when the bill is revised for the billionth time and shows that it cuts costs, will you support it? I'm guessing the answer is no  ;)

Ganhyun

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=news-000003168293

So when the bill is revised for the billionth time and shows that it cuts costs, will you support it? I'm guessing the answer is no  ;)

And you would likely be right, but it really depends on how the bill is worded and what it does in the end.
XDF

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Where did you get any of those numbers from ganhyun?  Carbon tax is probably not going to have a significant effect on electricity costs since we'll probably be on a mostly nuclear grid by then.

And 2 liters can easily be bought for under a dollar.

Ganhyun

Hey, just noticed something in that link you sent me PD

The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee approved its draft bill Wednesday, and Christopher J. Dodd , D-Conn., the acting chairman of that panel, said his panel had reduced the initial price tag of its bill as estimated by the CBO. “I’m very confident we can meet the president’s goal of having a fully paid-for 10 year program on health care right around $1 trillion,” he said.

A while back, Shogun posted a CNN link estimating the price of this around a trillion or more and you guys laughed at him and said no way. Apparently Chris Dodd agrees with Shogun.

First part of the first reply to Shogun's post with the cnn link to the costs.

That looks like an outright lie.

Shogun vindicated.

XDF

Phoenix Dark

Ganhyun

Where did you get any of those numbers from ganhyun?  Carbon tax is probably not going to have a significant effect on electricity costs since we'll probably be on a mostly nuclear grid by then.

To be honest, my reply to Zero was me talking out of my ass in a snarky way to him since he responded to me that way :)

Though I'm not sure how quick America will be to adopt nuclear power as the main source of electrical power.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:38:34 PM by Ganhyun »
XDF

Oblivion

Let me fix this.

Back in my day, we didn't have to wait 6 months to go to the doctor for a routine physical.

I don't get this complaint. Even if that manages to occur, last I checked, wasn't this a public option? If you hate the inefficient system run by the gubment, then can't you just simply go to one of the hundreds of private plans?

Ganhyun

Let me fix this.

I don't get this complaint. Even if that manages to occur, last I checked, wasn't this a public option? If you hate the inefficient system run by the gubment, then can't you just simply go to one of the hundreds of private plans?

Yes, currently I could. And I will keep my private plan, which is a good plan. :)
XDF

Brehvolution

To be honest, my reply to Zero was me talking out of my ass in a snarky way to him since he responded to me that way :)

Though I'm not sure how quick America will be to adopt nuclear power as the main source of electrical power.

:pimp
©ZH

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm

Let me fix this.

Back in my day, before the carbon credit tax was imposed on us, our light bills were only around 75-150 dollars a month instead of the 750 now. Too bad only the biggest companies around could survive and now have no competition whatsoever.

I would honestly rather my grandkids be able to actually eat something besides ramen noodles and saltine crackers.

But hey, since you Liberals want to be so far in debt, why not pass a law and give you guys some of these services you so desperately want now and only you guys get to use them?  That way conservatives don't have to worry about it and you get what you want.

Or you could just give me your credit card/bank account info and I'll give you that debt you want for free. :)

But Obama's proposals as part of the national debt are nothing compared to TARP, prescription drug benefit, Iraq war, and 6 years of Bush tax cuts. TARP is the only one of those things not to cost over a trillion dollars. Not to blame it all on Bush, but if the national debt is truly what destroys this country then only a fool would knee-jerk blame "liberals", whatever that is.

Never mind the secret tax that is skyrocketing health insurance premiums for the last 20-30 years.

Mandark

• Icon
I'm so psyched I get to use this line now
« Reply #4544 on: July 17, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »

If you want things to be different, how about you guys win an election?

:smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug

Ganhyun

Re: I'm so psyched I get to use this line now
« Reply #4545 on: July 17, 2009, 11:14:59 AM »

A buncha smug smilies

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/generic_congressional_ballot

Rupublicans seem to be working on that ;)

Also, just a bit of food for thought:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/right_direction_or_wrong_track

Also, just a poll on the healthcare issue:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/healthcare/july_2009/49_oppose_health_care_reform_plan_46_favor_it
XDF

Ganhyun

Let me fix this.

But Obama's proposals as part of the national debt are nothing compared to TARP, prescription drug benefit, Iraq war, and 6 years of Bush tax cuts. TARP is the only one of those things not to cost over a trillion dollars. Not to blame it all on Bush, but if the national debt is truly what destroys this country then only a fool would knee-jerk blame "liberals", whatever that is.

Never mind the secret tax that is skyrocketing health insurance premiums for the last 20-30 years.

did you miss where I responded to AM Nintenho that this post was a snarky out of my ass post?
XDF

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
More Rasmussen plz

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #4548 on: July 17, 2009, 10:59:31 PM »

:smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug :smug

all aboard the smuuuuuuggg train!
UNF

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
:smug click
wtc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #4550 on: July 18, 2009, 04:36:13 AM »
Rasmussen.   :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Mandark isn't even bothering with replies at this point.  This is how bad things have gotten.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
rasmussen (tm): a matt drudge (c) production
duc

Phoenix Dark

u mad?

Phoenix Dark

Ganhyun

Washington, D.C. -- The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released estimates this evening confirming for the first time that H.R. 3200, America’s Affordable Health Choices Act, is deficit neutral over the 10-year budget window – and even produces a $6 billion surplus. CBO estimated more than $550 billion in gross Medicare and Medicaid savings. More importantly, the bill includes a comprehensive array of delivery reforms to set the stage for lowering the future growth in health care costs.

Net Medicare and Medicaid savings of $465 billion, coupled with the $583 billion revenue package reported today by the House Committee on Ways and Means, fully finance the previously estimated $1.042 trillion cost of reform, which will provide affordable health care coverage for 97% of Americans.

"This fulfills the strong commitment of the President and House leadership to enact health reform on a deficit-neutral basis," said Chairman Henry A. Waxman, Chairman Charles B. Rangel, and Chairman George Miller. "The reforms included in this legislation will help control health care costs and expand access to quality, affordable coverage to all Americans in a fiscally-responsible manner."
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc10464/hr3200.pdf

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
PWNED
PSP

siamesedreamer

Ganhyun

Washington, D.C. -- The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released estimates this evening confirming for the first time that H.R. 3200, America’s Affordable Health Choices Act, is deficit neutral over the 10-year budget window – and even produces a $6 billion surplus. CBO estimated more than $550 billion in gross Medicare and Medicaid savings. More importantly, the bill includes a comprehensive array of delivery reforms to set the stage for lowering the future growth in health care costs.

Net Medicare and Medicaid savings of $465 billion, coupled with the $583 billion revenue package reported today by the House Committee on Ways and Means, fully finance the previously estimated $1.042 trillion cost of reform, which will provide affordable health care coverage for 97% of Americans.

"This fulfills the strong commitment of the President and House leadership to enact health reform on a deficit-neutral basis," said Chairman Henry A. Waxman, Chairman Charles B. Rangel, and Chairman George Miller. "The reforms included in this legislation will help control health care costs and expand access to quality, affordable coverage to all Americans in a fiscally-responsible manner."
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/104xx/doc10464/hr3200.pdf

I saw this on GAF. Where does it say a surplus of $6 billion? All I see is the +$239 billion net change.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25104.html

Read further in the link and you'll see they're trying to pretend away significant costs:

In the bill, Democrats provide $245 billion to eliminate an annual shortfall in payments to doctors under Medicare. Democrats resolved this annual headache, in large part, to win crucial support for the bill from the American Medical Association. That money currently counts against the overall costs of the bill, but Democrats have introduced legislation that would remove this obligation from federal deficit. However, CBO won't recognize that change until those new pay-as-you-go rules become law.

Funny, I remember the same people being upset that Bush pretended away Iraq costs.

RE: Cap and Trade

I've read that the bill gives away 83% of all credits and that's why the projected consumer cost increases are negligible. Anyone else see that?

Crushed

• i am terrified by skellybones
the owner of Free Republic proposes that all conservatives marching into washington and dissolving the government to depose the Kenyan Imposter B. Hussein Osama

that's him in the middle, the head of the imminent million rascal scoot

freep immediately cries that they should all bring their guns for the start of the armed resistance
wtc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
I still LOL whenever I hear chickenhawk Republicans whine about the deficits, while fervently supporting huge deficits since Reagan.  Also interesting that the only president to achieve a surplus was a Democrat.
🍆🍆

Mandark

• Icon
Read further in the link and you'll see they're trying to pretend away significant costs:

Funny, I remember the same people being upset that Bush pretended away Iraq costs.

sd:  Har-dee-har-har.  You, of all people, do not want this to turn into a discussion of who's acted hypocritical.  Don't think your occasional fig-leaf criticisms of Bush -- for whom you voted twice, no? -- will keep anyone from pointing out the same thing T EXP just nailed you with.

For the rest of you, a teaching moment!

The $245 billion outlay (the difference between adding $239b to the deficit or shaving $6b off of it) goes towards fees paid to doctors through Medicare.  It is a long-term fix for a problem that's been temporarily patched over several times already.

For whatever reason, the laws and formulas that determine how much Medicare pays physicians are spitting out low numbers, so that there would be a pretty sharp cut and in turn many doctors might stop taking Medicare patients.

Last year they passed a bill to temporarily keep the current rates and put off the ~10% cut.  There was a similar bill in 2006 which passed with big bipartisan support, and I think at least one in Bush's first term.

So the $245 billion over ten years represents how much more the government would be paying compared to the formulas as they're currently projected.  It does not represent the increase over what we've actually been spending over the last decade.

I understand why the CBO included it.  It's coming out of the same committee right now and hasn't been attached to the PAYGO bill.  But it's not a plank of the healthcare reform plan.  This was going to happen anyway, just like it happened three times before this decade.

It's emblematic of the way Congress abetted the Bush admin in fudging numbers and shirking responsibility.

The Iraq and Afghanistan wars, cuts to the income tax, exemptions for the estate tax, and the AMT patches were all handled basically the same way:  pass a temporary solution (sometimes annually), keep it off the books to make the long-term accounts look better, and kick it down the road.

Now we have a president who's supporting a permanent-ish solution to this issue, while focusing on making his health reform package revenue-neutral, following a Republican who had three initiatives of similar or higher cost which were completely unfunded and the GOP starts bitching about deficits and financial chicanery?  Now?

Come the fuck on.