Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1866165 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #6360 on: November 22, 2009, 09:23:27 AM »
But democrats in Nebraska endorsed the idea of a public option  ???

The Democratic Party of Nebraska, yeah, but not Ben Nelson himself.

I'm not saying he can't be swayed into supporting the option but there is a lot pressure on him not to go through with either cap and trade or health care reform.  Even in a heavy Republican state, Nelson's always had a lot of support.  Considering how far to the right the state is, he's going to have to burn through some of his political capital if he wants to vote in a public option.  Not saying he won't, as he could say later on that it was inevitable, but there is a lot of pressure on him in the state (a lot of fearmongering ads) to vote against health care reform and cap and trade.  He doesn't have much opposition but if he votes yes to those reforms, he might.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #6361 on: November 22, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/02/nebraska-voters-favor-pub_n_343061.html

Pretty small sample, I'd like to see some bigger polls; but Nate Silver didn't raise red flags over it.

Nelson initially supported the idea of a public option. He's flip flopped pretty dramatically. Same with Lincoln; her website says she supports a public option.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6362 on: November 22, 2009, 11:07:44 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/02/nebraska-voters-favor-pub_n_343061.html

Pretty small sample, I'd like to see some bigger polls; but Nate Silver didn't raise red flags over it.

Nelson initially supported the idea of a public option. He's flip flopped pretty dramatically. Same with Lincoln; her website says she supports a public option.

I was in Omaha not too long ago and the TV ads were full of FUD on health care and cap and trade.

The public majority has supported the public option for some time or at least significant health care reform but it doesn't change the fact that there are a lot of congresspeople who were scared at the thought of following through on that reform.  Not to mention those who are getting their pockets lined with private insurance lobby money.

I didn't say Nelson would be a guaranteed "no" but in his state, there's a lot of FUD about it.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6363 on: November 22, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
Why haven't we banned lobbyists yet?

You want that to include environmentalist and women's rights lobbies?
🍆🍆

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #6364 on: November 22, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Why would he? He is one of them.

That was our great choice in 2008. Two senators. I don't think it's any coincidence that many of our greatest presidents are not senators.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:06:10 PM by ToxicAdam »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6365 on: November 22, 2009, 11:06:17 PM »
Why would he? He is one of them.

Gooble gobble!

edit:

Quote from: ToxicAdam
That was our great choice in 2008. Two senators. I don't think it's any coincidence that many of our greatest presidents are not senators.

:lol  Oh you.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 11:08:35 PM by Mandark »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #6366 on: November 22, 2009, 11:28:26 PM »
I refuse to acknowledge Bush's existence. lol

Mandark

• Icon
I figured you'd remember Carter
« Reply #6367 on: November 23, 2009, 12:12:43 AM »
It's not so much that there haven't been a lot of effective presidents who used to be senators, so much as there are hardly any senators at all that became president the last century or so.

Senators don't usually win, because once you've spent years in DC you've probably pissed off a lot of activists/donors/pundits and taken a lot of votes that can be used against you, sometimes out of context.  I don't think it's a surprise that the guy who won was very new on the national scene, and I think Hillary basically lost because of her Iraq vote.

For a long time, we've been voting for the incumbent or for the blank slate.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #6368 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »
There is one congressman who doesn't talk to lobbyists...

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politi
« Reply #6369 on: November 23, 2009, 09:10:21 AM »
just sayin'

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6370 on: November 23, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
[youtube=560,345]fxis7Y1ikIQ[/youtube]

:rofl

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6371 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »
 :lol

why do global warming/green advocates have the worst advertising ever

Bebpo

« Reply #6372 on: November 23, 2009, 11:25:41 AM »
wtf@that video

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6373 on: November 23, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
Shit! Now I'm taking a train to Toronto.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6374 on: November 23, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »
hippies and eco-sausages create lame propaganda -- as anticipated -- and we're supposed to care why. if the public endorsement of overwrought stupids invalidated a message, then there would be no ron paul
duc

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6375 on: November 23, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »
:rofl at prole

Liberal defense squad assemble.

Mandark

• Icon
Not a spoof. I repeat, not a spoof.
« Reply #6376 on: November 23, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
[youtube=560,345]7sGKvDNdJNA[/youtube]

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6377 on: November 23, 2009, 05:48:04 PM »
:bow Carbon Dioxide :bow2

They'll take my CO2 from my cold dead hands!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:50:09 PM by Mamacint »
___

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6378 on: November 23, 2009, 06:55:07 PM »
Who the hell watches commercials these days?
🍆🍆

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6379 on: November 23, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
[youtube=560,345]mKKKgua7wQk[/youtube]

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6380 on: November 23, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
"Carbon dioxide: they call it pollution, we call it life." :rofl

It is like something from a screenplay for Thank You for Smoking 2: The Green House Effect.
PSP

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6381 on: November 23, 2009, 07:53:25 PM »
It's no different than the anti-smoking ads that frequently flirt with insanity
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6382 on: November 23, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »
[youtube=560,345]mKKKgua7wQk[/youtube]

Steelers fan  :lol

pollo

« Reply #6383 on: November 23, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »
Not so much the bad language as the constant, raging contempt for all people who are not Matt Taibbi.  He's written some very good stuff (and his share of crap) but he could be a lot better if he dialed down the Jim Rome act.

Jesus, what a fucking moronic article.

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #6384 on: November 24, 2009, 03:47:50 AM »
"Carbon dioxide: they call it pollution, we call it life." :rofl

It is like something from a screenplay for Thank You for Smoking 2: The Green House Effect.
I love CO2 so much I'm going to lock myself in an airtight room and convert all that nasty oxygen to awesome carbon dioxide.  I'll post later to let you guys know how it goes.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #6385 on: November 24, 2009, 04:01:13 AM »
:rofl @ that Steelers fan.
AMC

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6386 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
Anyone want to talk about the email hack of the climate change researchers?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/24/hiding-evidence-of-global-cooling/

It was announced Thursday afternoon that computer hackers had obtained 160 megabytes of e-mails from the Climate Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in England. Those e-mails involved communication among many scientific researchers and policy advocates with similar ideological positions all across the world. Those purported authorities were brazenly discussing the destruction and hiding of data that did not support global-warming claims.

Professor Phil Jones, the head of the Climate Research Unit, and professor Michael E. Mann at Pennsylvania State University, who has been an important scientist in the climate debate, have come under particular scrutiny. Among his e-mails, Mr. Jones talked to Mr. Mann about the "trick of adding in the real temps to each series ... to hide the decline [in temperature]."

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #6387 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
Those Palin supporters are experts in self-annihilation  :yuck

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:bow Martha Stewart
jon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6388 on: November 24, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
Thank god I don't take benefits from my employer. Rates are up 18% over last year for single and family plans.The family plan deduction is $80.61/week with a $5000 deductible.

322.44x12 months=3869.28+5000=$8869.28 + $15 co-pays

I feel bad for my colleagues who have no other choice in the "free market". :smug

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:18:10 AM by Zero Hero EDGE™ »
©ZH

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #6389 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Rates are up 18% over last year for single and family plans.
Good luck justifying that cost increase with low inflation the past year.

The family plan deduction is $80.61/week with a $5000 deductible.
yeesh. That's terrible
jon

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6390 on: November 24, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »
Theoretically, some people here would work 1 day out of 5 for the privilege of having insurance. :smug

Not even the nasty govt. payroll taxes can make that claim. :smug
©ZH

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6391 on: November 24, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
Those Palin supporters are experts in self-annihilation  :yuck

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

:bow Martha Stewart

I still have trouble accepting the Palin clusterfuck. Even I don't hate America enough to believe there is a movement in this country to rally behind her, but there is :usacry
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:37:57 PM by Mamacint »
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6392 on: November 24, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
martha and sarah would be an awesome MILF threesome  :drool

Dickie Dee

« Reply #6393 on: November 24, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
How are they justifying these cost increases?

When have premiums ever been tied to reality? I'm guessing they're just trying to get it while the gettin's good
___

Mandark

• Icon
Scientists pwned, delusional amateurs vindicated!
« Reply #6394 on: November 24, 2009, 04:22:50 PM »
Anyone want to talk about the email hack of the climate change researchers?
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/24/hiding-evidence-of-global-cooling/

Sure.

Would love to.

After all, we know that any time someone uses the word "trick" in a scientific context, they mean some form of deception.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6395 on: November 24, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Sorry, Mandark not one of these refutes the fact that thee top climate change scientists colluded to hide data that goes against the message they are preaching. And preaching is such a good word for this.

There is a lot of damning evidence about these researchers concealing information that counters their bias. In another exchange, Mr. Jones told Mr. Mann: "If they ever hear there is a Freedom of Information Act now in the UK, I think I'll delete the file rather than send to anyone" and, "We also have a data protection act, which I will hide behind." Mr. Jones further urged Mr. Mann to join him in deleting e-mail exchanges about the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's (IPCC) controversial assessment report (ARA): "Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re [the IPCC's Fourth Assessment Report]?"

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6396 on: November 24, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »
hard to deny their own words. global warming annihilated

I hope there's a criminal investigation into this and possible charges; hell, a warrant to search Al Gore's computer seems like a good idea. Hopefully we don't waste billions on this fraud anymore.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:01:25 PM by Phoenix Dark »

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6397 on: November 24, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
I'm renting a hummer and driving 10 full tanks in protest!  :maf

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6398 on: November 24, 2009, 05:27:08 PM »
Liberals are eating a lot of crow lately. Here is the latest.

http://www.kentucky.com/latest_news/story/1032979.html

Census worker killed himself, tried to make it look like homicide, officials say

"We believe it was an intentional act on his part to take his own life," said Rudzinski, who helped lead the investigation.
Sparkman's nude body was found Sept. 12 by people visiting the cemetery. There was a rope around his neck tied to a tree, and he had what appeared to be the word "fed" written on his chest in black marker.

Remember back when dailyKos said this was a hate crime?  :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6399 on: November 24, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »
tehjaybo and Bloodwake knew him.
PSP

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6400 on: November 24, 2009, 05:32:04 PM »
tehjaybo and Bloodwake knew him.

That's racist wilco, not everyone in kentucky knows each other.  :maf

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6401 on: November 24, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
But they actually did know him. They grew up with his son or something.
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6402 on: November 24, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »
But they actually did know him. They grew up with his son or something.

Census worker Bill Sparkman committed suicide and deliberately made it look like murder as part of an insurance scam, Kentucky state police have concluded.

State police, working with the FBI, said at a press conference moments ago that Sparkman had recently taken out two life insurance policies that would not pay out for suicide. It appears Sparkman hoped that the scheme would benefit his son, Josh Sparkman.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/11/police_sparkman_committed_suicide_made_it_look_lik.php?ref=fpb

:drudge :drudge :drudge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6403 on: November 24, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
Damn, here I was hoping there was actually a heroic vigilante going around.   :'(

Yeah, the tyranny of answering the census is truly unforgivable.  ::)
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6404 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »
Damn, here I was hoping there was actually a heroic vigilante going around.   :'(

Yeah, the tyranny of answering the census is truly unforgivable.  ::)

Apparently, Bill Sparkman thought so.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6405 on: November 24, 2009, 10:05:09 PM »
No, apparently he thought the only way his kid was ever going to be able to get any money after the economy cratered was if he killed himself and the kid collected the insurance money.  8 years of conservative shitfuck economics will do that to you.
yar

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6406 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:45 PM »
No, apparently he thought the only way his kid was ever going to be able to get any money after the economy cratered was if he killed himself and the kid collected the insurance money.  8 years of conservative shitfuck economics will do that to you.

And yet somehow you're still alive...

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6407 on: November 24, 2009, 10:23:51 PM »

And yet somehow you're still alive...

I'm not in Kentucky.  :smug
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6408 on: November 24, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
you in michigan yet? :smug

ToxicAdam

« Reply #6409 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:51 PM »
http://bishophill.squarespace.com/blog/2009/11/20/climate-cuttings-33.html

I don't know if you guys care, but here is a pretty thorough dissection of those hacked emails.

Seems like Phil Jones and Mann (he of hockey stick fame) are real assholes.

FlameOfCallandor

• The Walking Dead
« Reply #6410 on: November 24, 2009, 10:33:19 PM »
Michael Mann discusses how to destroy a journal that has published sceptic papers.(1047388489)

Tim Osborn discusses how data are truncated to stop an apparent cooling trend showing up in the results (0939154709). Analysis of impact here. Wow!
Phil Jones describes the death of sceptic, John Daly, as "cheering news".

Briffa says he tried hard to balance the needs of the IPCC and science, which were not always the same.

WTF

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6411 on: November 24, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »

Briffa says he tried hard to balance the needs of the IPCC and science, which were not always the same.

WTF

Looks like he's bitching about having to do managerial stuff which takes time away from being able to do new, publishable research.

Quote from: Briffa
I am happy to pass the mantle on to someone else next
time. I feel I have basically produced nothing original or substantive of my own since this
whole process started. I am at this moment , having to work on the ENV submission to the
forthcoming UK Research Assessment exercise , again instead of actually doing some useful
research !

This is a complaint I've heard first- or second-hand a gazillion times by professors who are organizing a conference, serving on some administrative committee, dealing with the national association for their field, etc, and I'm pretty tenuously connected to higher education.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #6412 on: November 24, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
clearly, libertarians have never worked in a real job in their life or participated in a heavily-contextual email thread! :lol

get jobs, fruits

the email threads i could show you would BLOW YOUR FUCKIN MINDS, and, if read in a vacuum, would make you think i was the worst person in the world yet the end result was still a valid product. sarcasm, references to external events, the textual rendering of complicated interpersonal and interorganizational relationships are necessary parts of such discussions. office politics: not for outsider newbs to understand!

fabricated example: "Yes, you're so right. The product is a total piece of shit. When we applied for ABC licensing, we had no idea what we were doing, and of course we were just going along with the wacky ZZZZ standards committee. That said, someone has to clean up the data we sent Bob Bobbins, because he's not gonna like what we have to say anyway." REALITY: the product is in great shape, we've got a go on licensing, and Bob Bobbins is gonna complain no matter what so just send him something easy to read to shut him up so we can ship already.

:punch libertarian leeches :punch
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:44:04 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #6413 on: November 24, 2009, 11:57:45 PM »
I think she's refreshing- a breath ....of fresh air.

Just the way she said it  :lol :lol :lol

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6414 on: November 25, 2009, 12:01:26 AM »
Mandark, admit defeat. You've been foiled. Climate change is an elaborate hoax, and these e-mails prove it.

Carbon dioxide: some call it pollution, we call it life. :rock
PSP

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6415 on: November 25, 2009, 12:04:20 AM »
I wonder what type of emails scientists send concerning evolution :smug

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6416 on: November 25, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »
Mandark, admit defeat. You've been foiled. Climate change is an elaborate hoax, and these e-mails prove it.

Carbon dioxide: some call it pollution, we call it life. :rock

OH GOD IT WAS ALL A LIE.  THE NATIONAL REVIEW WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!

*sobs hysterically*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:bawl   <--- This really doesn't do justice to the magnitude of my emotional breakdown.
[close]

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #6417 on: November 25, 2009, 12:16:53 AM »
I really cannot comment on these e-mails or the men in question, because I haven't read anything about it - but does it surprise people to learn that even scientists have an agenda?

And does that necessarily negate global warming? Break out the champagne, pop the corks, burn needless fossil fuels! Let the good times roll!

When scientists learned that cholera was not necessarily due to filthy inner city conditions, and thought that such a revelation might undermine their efforts to bring about government-funded sanitation (which was non-existent), many chose to withhold their findings. Or even spread misinformation.

I'd like to think that proper sanitation, waste removal, water filtration, etc. are still very important government services, regardless of whether or not it is only indirectly responsible for cholera and not the primary cause.
PSP

ToxicAdam

« Reply #6418 on: November 25, 2009, 12:37:41 AM »
Weren't many of those things available to the Romans? Isn't that just a logical step in civilization, rather than science pushing an agenda?

What's the point in carbon mitigation if we can not control population or it's incessant need for energy, meat, rice, etc? It seems like a losing battle. If CO2 is the death of us all, why not straight up carbon taxing?

If CO2 was found to be a minor player in the greenhouse effect, would that make the green industry disappear? Wouldn't it still continue on? Would we still not seek more efficient homes and appliances? A smarter energy grid? A more varied use of energy sources?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:39:34 AM by ToxicAdam »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6419 on: November 25, 2009, 12:44:05 AM »
I wonder what type of emails scientists send concerning evolution :smug

Actually, there was some pretty heated back-and-forth about punctuated equilibrium back in the 70's.

A bunch of quotes from people like Stephen Jay Gould, criticizing other biologists, keep getting recycled on creationist sites to prove how corrupt the scientific community is.  I can only imagine what they'd do if they got big archives of private correspondence.  Richard Dawkins alone would give them more material than they'd ever need.