Author Topic: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba baaaa  (Read 465067 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/christopher-buckley-resig_n_134628.html

Doesnt pay to think for yerself in the conservative media omg

While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for. Eight years of "conservative" government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case.

So, to paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan: I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me.

Oooh, Sick Burn!

o_0

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
i love christopher buckley's books.  Everyone here should read Florence of Arabia.
Tonya

MrAngryFace

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14593.html

John McCain campaign senior strategist Nicole Wallace conceded Wednesday that the campaign “lost the spin war” by allowing Barack Obama’s campaign to brand the Arizona senator as a dirty campaigner.
“The truth is they play dirty politics, and maybe we haven't been quick enough. Maybe we don't have enough friends in the media to carry the message,” Wallace said on MSNBC’s Morning Joe show. “We certainly lost the spin war about his fighting a more negative campaign. The truth is that Barack Obama has spent more money on negative attack ads against John McCain than any politician, Democrat or Republican, in history.”

Wallace blamed a double standard in the media which highlights any potentially negative mention of Obama’s race while ignoring attacks against Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin’s gender.

“There is an acceptance of the gender bashing that's happened with Sarah Palin,” Wallace said. “It's an atrocity. Win or lose, we'll spend a long time examining the atrocities that have been carried out.”

“The truth is we've had a lot of thoughtful discussions about race in this campaign, and that is entirely appropriate. We should continue to do so. We have spent far less time talking about the gender bashing that happens, not only out of the Obama campaign, but on the far left,” the strategist added.

But Wallace said that no matter the tack taken by the McCain campaign in pushing its message, its efforts have so far been futile.

“Well, look, it's like running against God,” Wallace said. “You know, the media has anointed Obama. Many, many places in the media, present company excluded, and he's got more money. He opted out of public funds. No one cares about that.”

Really?  ::)
o_0

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Wait, so the Republicans are projecting their own behavior onto the Dem's  in an attempt for the Dems to have to stop and correct the Repugs instead of talking about issues? I'm shocked.

My problem with this is, why didn't the interviewer tell this person that what she just said was an incredible lie?
©ZH

MrAngryFace

yeah its like how obama didnt do town halls so mccain was gonna stall the debate lol
o_0

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #3125 on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »
Maybe it's not a lie? Obama has so much money flowing out of his anus that if he just made 1 negative ad he could afford to blast it to every state 500 times? Or maybe they are considering vaguely negative ads "attack ads"?

Not that I put it beyond McCain-Palin to lie-- they do it on a regular basis. Tucker bounds y'all
haw

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I'm very surprised that douchebag Bounds hasn't said that the Obama campaign has only talked about Ayers and ACORN and has skirted having any real plans on how to move America forward in this crisis.
©ZH

MrAngryFace

Stretch of the truth at best.
o_0

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
This is so typical of the Republican side, though. They attempt to equalize, ignoring of course differences in nature or severity of the individual attack ads.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
This is so typical of the Republican side, though. They attempt to equalize, ignoring of course differences in nature or severity of the individual attack ads.

Its classic Southern Strategy, old school Nixonian politics.  Only trouble is that the McCain side has pulled so much shit that most people aren't going to take it seriously.  McCain claiming to be the victim here is going to net very little sympathy other than those on the far right that never intended to vote for Obama in the first place.

Now they sound like a bunch of butthurt whiners.  Not sure what demographic they are angling for with this one.  It will lose them even more support.

Can McCain actually do anything right?
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon

Waterboard 'im!
yar

Tristam

Re: Evilbore's Presidential Election Thread --Its the Final COUNTDOWN Ba da ba b
« Reply #3131 on: October 15, 2008, 01:52:49 PM »
On the eve of the third debate...I think McCain is going to come out blasting and catch Obama off guard

First part maybe.  Second part not.

Obama's campaign hasn't slacked for a year and a half now while McCain keeps sending advance notice of his own tactics via Pony Express.

What is there for McCain to attack on which he hasn't tried already?  Ayers/Wright/Rezko?  The most effective lines of attack have been tried.  When McCain digs for something fresh which Obama won't have planned on the best he can do is crap like the overhead projector.

Actually, the Republican Party has one more ace up its sleeve -- Bush's impending endorsement of Obama.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #3132 on: October 15, 2008, 01:57:35 PM »
Stretch of the truth at best.

The figure is technically true, because negative policy ads are counted alongside personal attacks, like McCain's weird Obama-as-child-molester bit, and because more money is being spent this cycle than before.

It's like saying John Kerry got more votes than Ronald Reagan did either time.  It's true, but not really illuminating.

Brehvolution

So soon we shall all be free from the oppression of the conservative right.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3135 on: October 15, 2008, 03:14:43 PM »
Did you guys see this early voting numbers from SurveryUSA?

New Mexico early voters: Obama up 23%

Ohio early voters: Obama up 18%

Georgia early voters: Obama up 6%

Iowa early voters: Obama up 34%

North Carolina early voters: Obama up 34%
We should caveat that these are not hard-and-fast numbers. Estimates of early voting results are subject to the same statistical vagaries as any other sort of subgroup analysis, such as response bias and small sample sizes.

Nevertheless, Obama is leading by an average of 23 points among early voters in these five states, states which went to George W. Bush by an average of 6.5 points in 2004.

Is this a typical pattern for a Democrat? Actually, it's not. According to a study by Kate Kenski at the University of Arizona, early voters leaned Republican in both 2000 and 2004; with Bush earning 62.2 percent of their votes against Al Gore, and 60.4 percent against John Kerry. In the past, early voters have also tended to be older than the voting population as a whole and more male than the population as a whole, factors which would seem to cut against Obama or most other Democrats.

Now certainly, early voters tend to be your stauncher partisans rather than your uncommitted voters -- just 1-2 percent of early voters in 2000 and 2004 reported that they would have voted differently if they'd waited until election day. So it's unlikely that John McCain is actually losing all that many persuadable voters to the early voter tallies.

What these results would seem to suggest, however, is that there are fairly massive advantages for the Democrats in enthusiasm and/or turnout operations. They imply that Obama is quite likely to turn out his base in large numbers; the question is whether the Republicans will be able to do the same.
http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/10/obama-dominating-among-early-voters-in.html

:o

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I'm not sure where SUSA got those NC early voting numbers, since early voting doesn't actually start until tomorrow.  It could be absentee ballots I guess but it sure does look and sound funny to me.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3137 on: October 15, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
I just got an astounding e-mail from a Republican consultant I know well. He's a guy who's always thought Obama had a "glass jaw," and was always among those agitating for hitting Obama harder.

Recently, he conducted a focus group in an upper-Midwestern state, showing them the kind of ad he thought would work: A no-holds-barred attack, cut for an independent group, which hasn't aired.

I'm just going to reprint his amazed e-mail about the focus group:

Reagan Dems and Independents. Call them blue-collar plus. Slightly more Target than Walmart.

Yes, the spot worked. Yes, they believed the charges against Obama. Yes, they actually think he's too liberal, consorts with bad people and WON'T BE A GOOD PRESIDENT...but they STILL don't give a f***. They said right out, "He won't do anything better than McCain" but they're STILL voting for Obama.

The two most unreal moments of my professional life of watching focus groups:

54 year-old white male, voted Kerry '04, Bush '00, Dole '96, hunter, NASCAR fan...hard for Obama said: "I'm gonna hate him the minute I vote for him. He's gonna be a bad president. But I won't ever vote for another god-damn Republican. I want the government to take over all of Wall Street and bankers and the car companies and Wal-Mart run this county like we used to when Reagan was President."

The next was a woman, late 50s, Democrat but strongly pro-life. Loved B. and H. Clinton, loved Bush in 2000. "Well, I don't know much about this terrorist group Barack used to be in with that Weather guy but I'm sick of paying for health insurance at work and that's why I'm supporting Barack."

I felt like I was taking crazy pills.  I sat on the other side of the glass and realized...this really is the Apocalypse. The Seventh Seal is broken and its time for eight years of pure, delicious crazy....
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/

[youtube=425,350]sVwmTSiYJ4M[/youtube]

MrAngryFace

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/15/palin-claims-new-hampshir_n_134934.html -- I for one welcome New Hampshire into the Great Northwest community.
o_0

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Who cares about the racist opinions of honkies.  All that matters is that Barack gets their vote nonetheless.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3140 on: October 15, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »

Fox...never change

Brehvolution

Everyone knows Cheney doesn't have a heart. Another Fox lie!
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3142 on: October 15, 2008, 04:56:47 PM »
[youtube=425,350]Rmq_Tu_vRjI[/youtube]

EPIC MELTDOWN   :lol
(4:45min)

edit: oooh fuck last second ownage as well  :lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:00:00 PM by Thanks But No Thanks »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
HAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT

James T. Harris makes Maurice look like a founding member of NWA.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3144 on: October 15, 2008, 05:11:43 PM »
I had never heard of this dude before watching the video. I know crazy fundie conservative black people who can make more coherent argument than that man-baby.

The worst black republican argument I've heard: "No, I'm not voting for Obama - unlike the rest of my race I actually think for myself"

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
:rofl 

"I'M OUT!"

:)

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/14/christopher-buckley-resig_n_134628.html

Doesnt pay to think for yerself in the conservative media omg

While I regret this development, I am not in mourning, for I no longer have any clear idea what, exactly, the modern conservative movement stands for. Eight years of "conservative" government has brought us a doubled national debt, ruinous expansion of entitlement programs, bridges to nowhere, poster boy Jack Abramoff and an ill-premised, ill-waged war conducted by politicians of breathtaking arrogance. As a sideshow, it brought us a truly obscene attempt at federal intervention in the Terry Schiavo case.

So, to paraphrase a real conservative, Ronald Reagan: I haven't left the Republican Party. It left me.

Oooh, Sick Burn!

So he was pretty much forced to resign at the National Review over a moderate endorsement he gave at an unrelated blog.  :lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:48:09 PM by Night Man »

Oblivion

« Reply #3147 on: October 15, 2008, 06:40:21 PM »
[youtube=425,350]Rmq_Tu_vRjI[/youtube]

EPIC MELTDOWN   :lol
(4:45min)

edit: oooh fuck last second ownage as well  :lol

lol @ the whole issue of being a traitor to your race. Seems the hicks were right on this one.

:piss Black people :piss2

:bow Ohio :bow2
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:54:33 PM by Oblivion »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Almost two hours!
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3149 on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »
Article on how Palin fucked up McCain's chances to win the State of MAF/Drinky

Or take Julie Follette, a 25-year-old coffee barista in Issaquah who voted for George W. Bush last time.

"Look, I love women," she said, "but you have to be able to put together a complete sentence. You know, like when you're talking to those doggone foreign leaders?"

Follette then winked at me. She designed the wink to be Palinesque — "as perky as it is phony."
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2008267851_danny15.html
 :lol
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Am I a stalker for looking her up on facebook  :-\
[close]

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
It's always been obvious that men like Palin more than women.  It's like the James T. Harris effect.

« Reply #3151 on: October 15, 2008, 08:44:55 PM »

Or take Julie Follette, a 25-year-old coffee barista in Issaquah who voted for George W. Bush last time.

"Look, I love women," she said, "but you have to be able to put together a complete sentence. You know, like when you're talking to those doggone foreign leaders?"

Follette then winked at me. She designed the wink to be Palinesque — "as perky as it is phony."
[close]

McCain NEVER had a chance to win Washington State.

The Gubernatorial race may be ridiculously close, but we were always going to go for Obama.

:bow THE POWER OF SEATTLE :bow2
野球

« Reply #3152 on: October 16, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
A Change We Needed? Fox Delays World Series for Obama

By MATT MITOVICH
TV GUIDE

A Fox spokesperson confirms for TVGuide.com that the network will push back the start of its World Series Game 6 coverage (if needed) by some 15 minutes, to make room for the half-hour of airtime recently purchased by White House hopeful Sen. Barack Obam

Last week, Obama purchased 30 minutes of prime time from Fox, CBS and NBC, to deliver a final message to voters on Wednesday, Oct. 29 (starting at 8 pm/ET). Major League Baseball and Fox were to start Game 6 at 8:20, but agreed to hold the ball for a few and accommodate the program (for which Fox is fetching some $1 million in ad revenue).

"We are pleased that Major League Baseball has agreed to delay the first pitch of World Series Game 6 for a few minutes in order for Fox to carry [Obama's] program," Fox Sports says in a statement. "If requested, the network would be willing to make similar time available to Senator McCain's campaign."

Of the Big 3's 8 o'clock programs, only ABC's Pushing Daisies remains unaffected by the half-hour delay. CBS is shuttling Old Christine to 8:30 (bumping Gary Unmarried), while NBC's plans for that gap (where the back end of Knight Rider usually airs) have yet to be announced.
野球

duckman2000

Isn't that just going to piss people off?

Brehvolution

It's going to be so weird watching the Obama special on Fox while Ayers and ACORN shit will be scrolling across the bottom of the screen.
©ZH

« Reply #3155 on: October 16, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »
It's going to be so weird watching the Obama special on Fox while Ayers and ACORN shit will be scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

Broadcast Fox, not Fox News.
野球

Brehvolution

;)
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3157 on: October 16, 2008, 03:33:50 PM »
Isn't that just going to piss people off?

No one cares about the world series this year! :shh

patrickula

Yeah I'm not sure how this half hour of TV time is going to come off well and not just annoy people  ???

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Besides, there's not going to be a game 6.  Whichever AL team wins will sweep the hapless Phillies.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3160 on: October 16, 2008, 04:49:12 PM »
What do you know Joe!
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=6047360&page=1
(front page news)  :lol

Brehvolution

Oh shit! :lol
©ZH

« Reply #3162 on: October 16, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »

[close]

McCain NEVER had a chance to win Washington State.

The Gubernatorial race may be ridiculously close, but we were always going to go for Obama.

:bow THE POWER OF SEATTLE :bow2
How a state could flirt with the likes of Ellen Craswell (fucking Ellen Craswell), and then repeat it twice with Dino Rossi is beyond my humble comprehension.  If Gregoire can't win re-election in WA, Seattle should secede.  Leave the Eastside to suffer the ills of it's proximity to the desert out east.

I loved my time at the UW, still have family in Seattle, but can barely stomach the thought of someone as desultory as Rossi being governor.  I don't "hate" Eastern Washington, but can they stop trying to kill Puget Sound.  Please!

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3163 on: October 16, 2008, 05:09:27 PM »
http://drudgereport.com/

Check out the head line :lol  :lol :lol

Banging The Narrative drum

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111211/Gallup-Daily-Obama-49-McCain-43.aspx
The "traditional" likely voter model, which Gallup has employed for past elections, factors in prior voting behavior as well as current voting intention. This has generally shown a closer contest, reflecting the fact that Republicans have typically been more likely to vote than Democrats in previous elections. Today's results show Obama with a two-point advantage over McCain using this likely voter model, 49% to 47%, this is within the poll's margin of error. -- Frank Newport

2008 is an entirely different ballpark than 2004 when republicans were the more fired up/enthusiastic group. More democrats are going to vote this year, and every poll takes this into account. WHOOPS

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
under an obama administration, will matt drudge be forced out of the closet
duc

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Likely Voters (Republican Ideal)
乱学者

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3166 on: October 16, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
Every poll except likely voter polls, pd.  smh.

Uhh no, even likely polls give dems a 6-8% advantage.

Pew
http://people-press.org/report/?pageid=1402

Rasmussen
For polling data released during the week of October 12-18, 2008, the partisan weighting targets used by Rasmussen Reports will be 39.3% Democratic, 33.0% Republican, and 27.7% unaffiliated.
http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_presidential_election/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

Research 2000/Kos
Democrats   391   (35%)
Republicans   278   (26%)
The tracking poll has a baseline of 1100 likely voters nationwide.
http://www.dailykos.com/dailypoll/2008/9/19

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
I've had it on CNN for a bit (background noise) and if I hear "Joe Plumber" one more time, I'm going to kill a middle aged white guy.
:9

Brehvolution

You mean the Joe Plumber that isn't a certified plumber and owes $1200 in back taxes. Truly an honorable American.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3169 on: October 16, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »
I've had it on CNN for a bit (background noise) and if I hear "Joe Plumber" one more time, I'm going to kill a middle aged white guy.

Wurzelbacher also acknowledged that he had no specific plans for buying Newell’s business, saying he and Newell had simply talked about the idea from time to time. He might have difficulty making the purchase: Court records from his divorce show that Wurzelbacher made $40,000 in 2006.

Even if he did buy Newell Plumbing and Heating, Obama’s tax plan wouldn’t affect him. While Wurzelbacher told Obama that he would be taxed at a higher rate because the company grossed more than $250,000 a year, Ohio business records show the company’s estimated total annual revenue as only $100,000. Actual taxable income would be even less than that.

In any event, Obama’s tax plan specifies that the higher rate would apply only to income above the $250,000 threshold. Assuming Wurzelbacher’s income as owner somehow hit $280,000 — the top end of his supposition of the company’s revenue — only the extra $30,000 would be taxed at a higher rate.

Analysts calculated that the extra tax would amount to $900, which would likely be more than offset by separate provisions of Obama’s plan: a 50 percent tax credit for health care and elimination of the capital gains tax for small businesses.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27221645/

In other words he's full of shit.

A business with $250,000 profit a year isn't a small business, in most cases. The language surrounding that number has been very muddled, and no one is separating profit from revenue.

duckman2000

What a fitting example for the Republicans to use. Screw reason and truthfulness, this is politics!

Brehvolution

There is a listing for Wurzelbacher in Wassilla Alaska. I wonder if there is any relation?
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3172 on: October 16, 2008, 07:38:42 PM »
What a fitting example for the Republicans to use. Screw reason and truthfulness, this is politics!

someone on GAF made a great post about how this seems like a guy who is middle class at best, yet is far more concerned with his aspirations of joining the financial elite that he forgets that they don't give a shit about him. He made $40,000 last year and is acting like he's on the cusp of making $250,000 profits as a plumber. My dad has his own dental practice and doesn't bring home that much in profit  :lol

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #3173 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »

someone on GAF made a great post about how this seems like a guy who is middle class at best, yet is far more concerned with his aspirations of joining the financial elite that he forgets that they don't give a shit about him. He made $40,000 last year and is acting like he's on the cusp of making $250,000 profits as a plumber. My dad has his own dental practice and doesn't bring home that much in profit  :lol

He was also pretty obviously a dupe of the Right Wing Noise Machine.  During his interview or whatever in his driveway this morning he said that he thought we ought to get rid of Social Security entirely and that he was "tired of people trying to make America out to be the bad guy."
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3174 on: October 16, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
I don't think he was some "plant" (too conspiracy theory-esque for me, and it sounds like bitter grapes) but he clearly isn't an "undecided" voter. Obama explained his plan very clearly (didn't stop Fox/McCain from distorting his words), and independent sources are saying Joe's business wouldn't be crippled by higher taxes.

I hate hearing the media treat this guy as some type of avatar for the common man. First off, if his business was making a $250,000 profit he wouldn't be an average joe middle class citizen. Second off, considering he made $40,000 last year and the business he wants to purchase is worth $100,000 he won't even be taxed under Obama's plan. It's ridiculous

And all this "why should anyone pay higher taxes" bullshit is a riot. It's truly impressive and saddening that the GOP elite have convinced average people (like Joe, lawl) that they not only are fighting for them, but no one should face high taxes. Why shouldn't those who have considerably more wealth than everyone else be taxed more?! I'm no socialist but jesus fucking christ, if I make 20mil a year of course I should face higher taxes (percentage wise) than someone making 20k a year. I wish I could pull off that level of bizzaro land mental fuckjob on chicks so they'd sleep with me.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Yeah, I don't understand calling him a plant.  I mean, he talked to Obama when Obama was walking around canvassing with a volunteer the other day.  It's kind of ridiculous to think that he was "planted" in the neighborhood.

Now, he did admit that he saw Obama talking to other people and went up to ask him a question.  It's pretty obvious from everything we now know about the guy that he had an agenda.  But at the same time to say that he's coordinating with the McCain campaign is pretty tin foil hattish.
yar

Beardo

« Reply #3176 on: October 16, 2008, 08:24:09 PM »
Black people who dont vote for Obama should be lynched. AMIRITE guys?

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
Plumbers make a lot of money "under the table." Joe, therefore, probably makes a lot more than he reports.

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Plumbers make a lot of money "under the table."

yeah, I saw a movie about that
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
Plumbers make a lot of money "under the table." Joe, therefore, probably makes a lot more than he reports.

if his tax liens -- $3000ish total -- are any indicator, he's not in the habit of reporting ANYTHING
duc