Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084714 times)

Tasty

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2760 on: July 27, 2011, 08:34:13 PM »
Yeah I was hoping by the second season Community might have stopped with beating us over the head with lessons, as well as Jeff being a jerk then saying he's sorry. Pierce being a huge asshat for most of the season didn't help either, ugh. I'm glad he said he's leaving, even if he doesn't his character will change for the better. The series needs to come up with a real nemesis for everyone to hate.

wrong. the one with the harlem globetrotter's owns. fucking kids.

when does this new scooby come on.

The finale just aired but if it sticks to its current schedule for re-runs, then it'll be on 7:30pm eastern on CN.

Himu

« Reply #2761 on: July 27, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
what day does it come on
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #2762 on: July 27, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
what day does it come on

Oh right, umm Tuesdays. Just checked, and they're re-running the show from the "second season" (actually isn't but CN says it is because of the break), aka episode 14-onwards starting next Tuesdays. That next ep  is the one with most of the Hannah Barbara cameos.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2763 on: July 29, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
[youtube=560,345]8kllzsPFTbg[/youtube]

I died from laughing so hard
:9

Beezy

« Reply #2764 on: July 29, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
And anyone who gave Adventure Time a shot should give this one a chance.

It's basically a show for anyone who has ever liked Scooby at any point in their lives.
Fuck. Now I have to watch this.

Beezy

« Reply #2765 on: July 29, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I've only seen one episode in cartoon network, the one where this nerdy guy is obsessed with velma. It was pretty good and I enjoyed it, might download it for my little brother.

Speaking of which I ended up watching Regular Show and Sym-Bionic Titan with him and those two are really good. I can't believe some of the stuff Regular Show gets away with and aside from being pretty funny it has cool characters and a nice episodic formula. Sym-Bionic Titan is just awesome, I will never forgive Cartoon Network for canceling it. Great characters and story with awesome action, if anyone is a fan of Samurai Jack I suggest you check it out since it was made by Genndy Tartakovsky, my favorite of the cartoon cartoon guys.
Adventure Time and Regular Show back to back are the best things CN has going for it right now. That Gumball show seems to be funny also. I've only seen a couple of episodes.

Himu

« Reply #2766 on: August 01, 2011, 01:10:27 AM »
Tonight's Curb was okay.

I'm on season 4 of Curb and honestly, I'm not sure I want to watch any more of past seasons. It's a good show, but it's very inconsistent. Let's take the last disc of season 3. The first two episodes (the corpse sniffing dog, and krazy eyez) were amazing and I couldn't stop laughing. The next two episodes I'm bored out of my fucking mind.

It rarely feels worth it watching the show because the quality fluctuates so much.

I'll still watch new episodes, but it's not like the sub plots matter enough that watching the older seasons is even necessary. I tend to prefer the crazy episodes where everything connects like Shaq or Krazy Eyez. The more realistic episodes bore me to tears. I think I'll stick with Seinfeld and Sunny.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:23:09 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2767 on: August 01, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »
On another note, netflix instant stream tv offerings just got even better. Mad Men (time for  a rewatch), Star Trek, Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Home Movies, X-Men (94 tv series), South Park...it's a mix between nostalgia overload and new offerings for me (never seen a full season of a Star Trek show).

If only they'd put The Critic, Duck Man and Science Court on there. It'd be 90's himuro all da time, baby.
IYKYK

« Reply #2768 on: August 01, 2011, 01:29:14 AM »
Freaks and Geeks isn't on Netflix Streaming, is it? I'd love to show it to my wife. I know it's on IFC all the time, but I need to start at the beginning with her.

It's basically a show for anyone who has ever liked Scooby at any point in their lives.

I always hated Scooby Doo as a kid. Good to know, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 01:31:21 AM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

Himu

« Reply #2769 on: August 01, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »
Freaks and Geeks isn't on netflix but My So-Called Life is.
IYKYK

« Reply #2770 on: August 01, 2011, 01:36:32 AM »
Freaks and Geeks isn't on netflix but My So-Called Life is.

That's cool. She loved My So-Called Life as a teenager. It came out right when we started high school so it's pretty legendary to all of our female friends.
野球

Himu

« Reply #2771 on: August 01, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »
You know what show I'd love to see on netflix? Hell, I'd love to see the movie on there: In the Heat of the Night.
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2772 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »
Tried watching some Curb, but perhaps I should stick to youtube clips. The pilot isn't good, I watched half and gave up months ago. I watched some of the second ep a few days ago, trying to get into it again. Blah.

« Reply #2773 on: August 01, 2011, 01:54:14 AM »
I get that that's the point, but every time I watch Curb I just want to punch Larry David.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2774 on: August 01, 2011, 01:59:07 AM »
Meadow's black bf in Sopranos S3  :lol

I have a feeling something bad is going to happen

Himu

« Reply #2775 on: August 01, 2011, 02:23:49 AM »
I get that that's the point, but every time I watch Curb I just want to punch Larry David.

Tonight's episode was insufferable because of this. My relationship with this show is on and off. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's creative, sometimes ballsy, but then it gets annoying and you hate all of the characters.

Sunny and Seinfeld involve terrible people, but these people are lovable.
IYKYK

« Reply #2776 on: August 01, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »

Yeah, that's probably why I've never been able to enjoy Curb.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2777 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
I'm a few seasons back at this point but I think supernatural got better after the first season mainly because they started using more season long arcs and recurring characters.

I couldn't ever make it past the first four or five episodes, but when I read the season overviews, it seems like it got a lot better. And then the last season was superfluous, apparently.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #2778 on: August 01, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
I'm a few seasons back at this point but I think supernatural got better after the first season mainly because they started using more season long arcs and recurring characters.

I couldn't ever make it past the first four or five episodes, but when I read the season overviews, it seems like it got a lot better. And then the last season was superfluous, apparently.

One thing that gets ratcheted up is the silly humor. There are some of the funniest scenarios I've seen on TV in Supernatural, mainly in the Monster of the Week episodes.
:9

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2779 on: August 01, 2011, 09:59:14 AM »

Tonight's episode was insufferable because of this. My relationship with this show is on and off. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's creative, sometimes ballsy, but then it gets annoying and you hate all of the characters.

One if my pet peeves is people who demand "lovable" characters in tv shows. That being said nobody is lovable in Sunny. At least at this stage in the show. Every character has been pushed to the extreme of unlikeableness in fact. In that sense it's one of the reasons I dont like the show as much. Not because of the unlikableness. But how predictable and lazy the show got because of it.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2780 on: August 01, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
Curb hate :piss2 fucking feggits.
Drunk

Himu

« Reply #2781 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

One if my pet peeves is people who demand "lovable" characters in tv shows. That being said nobody is lovable in Sunny. At least at this stage in the show. Every character has been pushed to the extreme of unlikeableness in fact. In that sense it's one of the reasons I dont like the show as much. Not because of the unlikableness. But how predictable and lazy the show got because of it.

It's hard to describe. The characters in Sunny are stupid assholes but I still really like them. They aren't "lovable" but I like them.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2782 on: August 01, 2011, 03:01:52 PM »
I wouldn't call any characters on Seinfeld lovable either.  I laugh at them, not with them.  They're the butt of the joke and I'm the cosmic entity laughing. 

My biggest problem with Friends is that they took the Seinfeld formula of a group of people who could/should never function in society and tried to make you care about them.  They're terrible fucking people and they're annoying so I don't want to hear sentimental music when they break up.  I want to laugh because Richard/Puddy is indifferent or something.  Jesus.  Chandler is pretentious douchbag.  Joey is a fucking moron who cheats on his women and screws his best friend out of money all the time.  Rachel... well I don't think I need to say anything (fine I will, money grubbing selfish bitch).  Monica is an OCD future catlady who will marry and date someone/anyone who agrees to give her children and marry her.  Ross is a whiny pussy.  For all the genuinely funny moments Friends has I'm eternally annoyed by the forced sappy moments that try to convince me these fucking people are worth liking. 

If you want to know why Seinfeld is so good and what it does right, look at everything that makes Friends fucking terrible.

Himu

« Reply #2783 on: August 01, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
I LOVE the characters in Seinfeld. Kramer's entrances, George's quirks, Jerry's dry wit, Elaine and her dance! They're not perfect people, they're actually very terrible, but I can't get enough of them. Same for on Sunny.

On Curb, though...

It's probably because Sunny/Seinfeld take a more cartoony approach. I like Curb when it's cartoony.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2784 on: August 01, 2011, 03:16:10 PM »
I don't know that I feel that strongly about any of these characters in these various tv shows. Especially comedies. It more about whether I find the characters or situations funny. But me liking them or admiring them generally plays very little into whether I find a show funny or not.

Himu

« Reply #2785 on: August 01, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Well, I get all of my comedy tastes and influences from classic era Simpsons so I'm quite prone to enjoying a comedy show more if I like the cast. Of course, I can like a comedy if the cast isn't likable but it's hard to explain. Some episodes I like the cast in Curb, sometimes I hate them. It's just very inconsistent with me.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2786 on: August 01, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
I LOVE the characters in Seinfeld. Kramer's entrances, George's quirks, Jerry's dry wit, Elaine and her dance! They're not perfect people, they're actually very terrible, but I can't get enough of them. Same for on Sunny.

On Curb, though...

It's probably because Sunny/Seinfeld take a more cartoony approach. I like Curb when it's cartoony.
I've never seen enough Curb to judge.  I like what I've seen though.  

And as far as the Seinfeld characters I'm not talking about loving certain aspects.  I love that George is a fucking loser.  He's the definition of the guy no one wants to be.  But I don't love him.  I love watching him get into situations and laughing when he either weasels his way out of it or when it comes crashing down on him.  But I have no emotional investment in his character.  I don't care that he's living with his parents and his wife died.  Why?  Because the show never asks you to.  You laugh at the fact that his wife dies.  Hence, why I love the show.  Most tv sitcoms do the exact opposite.  They present me with terrible people and ask me to sympathize with their situation.  Fuck that.  No thank you.  Perhaps my real beef relies with genre blending of tv shows.

Edit: So I guess I agree with you, just our definition of love needed to be clarified I guess.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2787 on: August 01, 2011, 04:08:46 PM »
Two shows that bug me to a degree are how I met your mother and sunny. And it's not because of whether the characters are likable and unlikable. It's because the character are written so blatantly to try to be quirky likable or quirky annoying. It's like the writing is based around obvious gimmicks. That's what annoys me personally. Not likability or unlikability. But a sort of cloying phoniness that most tv characters exist in.

And the thing is both of those tv shows are above average for the medium. It's just a big flaws that seems inherent to a lot of the medium.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2788 on: August 01, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
There's no room for subtlety in network TV nowadays.  Watch 2 and 1/2 men and it becomes painfully apparent.  You can see every joke coming from a mile away and all 3 characters are so rigidly written as the stereotypes they are.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2789 on: August 01, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
Breaking Bad - 4th ep of the season. 

This is getting great...the next episode should be filled with interesting shit as they planted a couple good set ups for major developments in this episode, along with the usual time bombs that are in the overall season plot. 

My only complaint is that this show lost a lot of intensity after the first two seasons...since Walt White always seemed in danger and always seemed to be getting traumatized and demoralized.  overall series spoiler:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, and he had cancer, but they're obviously waiting for the right time to bring that back (my guess is at the very end of the season.)
[close]
  It's still a very entertaining show without a lot of its original sources of tension. 

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2790 on: August 03, 2011, 05:33:51 AM »
holy fuck @ Sopranos S3 ep11 (Pine Barrens). One of the best episodes of any show I've seen.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2791 on: August 03, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
Pine Barrens is awesome.  If you had any reservations about Paulie being absolutely insane and an idiot, I'm sure they're gone now.  Chris is also a fucking idiot.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #2792 on: August 03, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »
[youtube=560,345]Co_BhTxgWys[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]K8XNrAjh7eo[/youtube]

This whole episode was gold.

©ZH

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2793 on: August 03, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Newest Breaking Bad was great.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2794 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
[youtube=560,345]RwkNdA18TJA[/youtube]
 :lol

I always get excited about a new Always Sunny trailer, then when the season starts I watch like 4 eps before losing interest due to the show trying way too hard.

Tasty

« Reply #2795 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:21 PM »

I always get excited about a new Always Sunny trailer, then when the season starts I watch like 4 eps before losing interest due to the show trying way too hard.

He actually did gain all that weight for the season. Pretty admirable.

Himu

« Reply #2796 on: August 04, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2797 on: August 07, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »
Jersey Shore season premier :bow

No more Ronnie/Sam bullshit, fuck yes

First ep was alright, but the season preview was great. Looks like Ronnie finally beats the shit out of The Situation  :o

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #2798 on: August 07, 2011, 12:15:54 PM »
No one watches Warehouse 13?  :'(

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2799 on: August 07, 2011, 03:13:46 PM »
watched season 1 of superjail.  sweet baby jesus.  amazing show.
Tonya

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2800 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
I've never seen the sitcom but have been wanting to check it out.

If it's the same Pamela I'm thinking of on Louie, she's in Californication and (wait for it) Bobby's voice on King of the Hill.

:bow

Edit: checked - yea that's her. She was also the voice of Spinelli from Recess, Shinra on FFX-2, a bunch of different people from Rugrats and The Oblongs, etc.
(|)

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2801 on: August 07, 2011, 10:07:47 PM »
Recess :bow

the movie was badass too. I remember living in the suburbs and being apart of a little crew of friends who did some cool shit, trying to mimic Recess lol. Although mainly we just rode our bikes and played Pokemon

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #2802 on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »
Watching Spider-Man '67 animated series on netflix. 

JJJ just shouted this exact line: "There should be no women in this world.  Only children and men!" 

there's an African witch doctor guy running around trying to steal JJJ's money.  For some reason, he can climb buildings. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:46:16 PM by Don Flamenco »

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2803 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47:15 AM »
Has anyone been watching True Blood?  It's actually a pretty good season right now.

Plus, Anna Paquin last night...

dem titties... :drool
[close]
WTF

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2804 on: August 08, 2011, 11:00:12 AM »
Just watched the first episode of Game of Thrones. I'm going to stop watching until I finish the first book, but it's nice to have some additional visual help from the show while reading the novel. Plus, I'm happy to visualize Danaerys as something other than a 13-year-old girl.  :-\

Has anyone been watching True Blood?  It's actually a pretty good season right now.

[close]

She was cute in X-Men, but a standard google image search reveals SHE HAS CRAZY EYES. She is probably crazy.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #2805 on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:03 AM »

[close]

Internet bro fist right here. This season has been pretty amazing.

Sookie and Eric :drool
[close]

I hope I can soon say the same for Jessica and Jason  :-*
[close]

(|)

Robo

« Reply #2806 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:09 AM »
Curb this week was HILARIOUS.  The ending was perfect.  I can't believe THAT is how they kick off the season arc in New York.  So stupid.  :lol

obo

Himu

« Reply #2807 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:55 AM »
i missed it. will hbo re-run it :(
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2808 on: August 09, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
Curb S1 ep3 :rofl

There are few things worse than attending an awkward dinner party of someone you kinda sorta know

CrystalGemini

« Reply #2809 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:09 AM »

You have the worst taste ever.
O_O

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2810 on: August 09, 2011, 02:42:35 AM »

[close]

Internet bro fist right here. This season has been pretty amazing.

Sookie and Eric :drool
[close]

I hope I can soon say the same for Jessica and Jason  :-*
[close]

Dat cliffhanger!

Curb was great! the final shot with Lewis had me rolling :rofl
Drunk

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #2811 on: August 09, 2011, 02:59:53 AM »

My wife & I watch it and after every episode the following happens:

"Why do we watch this show? It's terrible"
"I don't know, it's so bad!"
"..."
"Wanna watch another one?"

It's so nakedly mechanistic, like HERE IS A PLOT DEVICE TO TELL US MORE ABOUT CHARACTER X and HERE IS SOMETHING THAT WILL INVOLVE CHARACTER Y. It's like one of those see-through clocks or something. But it's also kind of charming in that way. After a week of Breaking Bad and whatever, it's nice to watch something where everyone gets along. Also, Pete + Micah have serious genuine chemistry and that should would have been off the air a long time ago without them. Claudia is fucking terrible. She's like MYSPACE, THE CHARACTER.

I like the new guy.

Anyway, it's a terrible fucking awful shitty show that I like a great deal because I find it sublimely comforting and charming. But that episode with the computer virus/Golem thing was honestly the worst Sci-Fi plot of all time.
wha

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2812 on: August 09, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »
Saw the first episode of WW2 in HD (I know it's not the type of show most people in here are discussing but oh well). 

Man, seeing good quality ww2 footage is quite different.  It's a lot more eerie when it's not such a fuzzy mess.  Plus the narration and the way the story progresses is really pretty neat

Tasty

« Reply #2813 on: August 09, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Just finished watching Damages s1 after watching s4 as it airs. Great stuff! Kind of pissed about the stalker girl subplot though, that was just annoying.

s2 ep1 is pretty promising so far!

Robo

« Reply #2814 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:01 PM »
Curb was great! the final shot with Lewis had me rolling :rofl

[close]
obo

Himu

« Reply #2815 on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:14 PM »
Saw the first episode of WW2 in HD (I know it's not the type of show most people in here are discussing but oh well). 

Man, seeing good quality ww2 footage is quite different.  It's a lot more eerie when it's not such a fuzzy mess.  Plus the narration and the way the story progresses is really pretty neat

WHAT CHANNEL
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2816 on: August 09, 2011, 02:03:23 PM »

WHAT CHANNEL
Netflix brochacho!

rodi

• Crotch Digger
« Reply #2817 on: August 09, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »

You have the worst taste ever.

I apologize for enjoying myself. Shall I like everything you like too, o great one?

Quote from: Mupepe

That is an awesome WWII documentary. The different points of view coupled with interviews from the actual people really hit home with me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:32:38 PM by rodi »

Himu

« Reply #2818 on: August 09, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »

WHAT CHANNEL
Netflix brochacho!

omg
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #2819 on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »
Curb this week was HILARIOUS.  The ending was perfect.  I can't believe THAT is how they kick off the season arc in New York.  So stupid.  :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

so fucking good :rofl
AMC