Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2084762 times)

ZephyrFate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #3420 on: November 07, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
Skyler makes a great liar, jesus christ.  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3421 on: November 08, 2011, 01:06:51 AM »
dexter was pretty awesome this week, totally did not see that swerve coming

Spoil it for me! I've only seen through season 3, and have fallen off the "Dexter wagon."

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #3422 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:10 AM »
Boardwalk keeps getting better each week :bow2 you bitches should be watching that instead of the walking shit.
Drunk

Enl

« Reply #3423 on: November 08, 2011, 01:18:16 AM »

Spoil it for me! I've only seen through season 3, and have fallen off the "Dexter wagon."

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dexter gives in to the fact that he will never be rid of his murderous tendencies and now it appears that he is going to start seeing the Dark Passenger in the form of his brother from the first season.
[close]

Also 4th season is worth checking out for John Lithgow since you've stopped at the 3rd. You can easily skip the 5th season since nothing of worth happens.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:19:47 AM by Enl »
mmm

Enl

« Reply #3424 on: November 08, 2011, 03:38:05 AM »
Boardwalk keeps getting better each week :bow2 you bitches should be watching that instead of the walking shit.

Just watched it.

My hair stood up on ends at the Nucky shootout scene, and that bathroom kill was brutal. This is one of those few shows where there are so many great, well developed characters that I'd be disheartened if any of them bite the dust (and you just know some of them will by the end of this season). Also is it just me or has the cinematography this season been some of the best I've seen on television.
[close]

mmm

etiolate

« Reply #3425 on: November 08, 2011, 03:53:41 AM »
I've found this season of Dexter to be full-distinguished mentally-challenged fellow. It doesn't fit Dexter's character progression and the show has too often forgotten its own plotlines and history. Right now it feels like they stuck their hand into the bag of forgotten plotlines and pulled out a few at random, and stuck them in a season with a villian plotline that the show barely cares about.

Like the evolution of Harry is sort of the line to follow for how bad Dexter has gotten. He was once a memory that came to Dexter. Then he started to become a voice in Dexter's mind. Then he become like the holy ghost speaking to Dexter about the sacred code. By the start of this season, Harry is like the good angel telling Dexter to go be popular even though it doesn't fit Harry or Harry's code at all. Now his brother is back as the devil on his other shoulder. It's not an evolution of Dexter as a character, but just the manipulation of a ghost character for the purpose of stating inner thoughts, often extremely obvious thoughts that don't need stating.

I also find it weird how people hate s3 and s5. I find it weird because the only good seasons were maybe the first two, but at least the third and fifth season offered a meta commentary on the audience's relationship with the show. They both inserted a character into the intimate moments of Dexter's dark passenger side and offered two interpretations of the outcome of these events: 1. A dark desire upon the other to kill that is finally released but only feeds a furthering desire to kill. 2. A need for a sense of justice in a world without it, but no need to kill beyond that.

I found that entertaining or at least interesting. Everyone else seemed mad that Dexter was cheating on them with someone else during their intimate kill moments.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3426 on: November 08, 2011, 05:51:30 AM »

Dexter gives in to the fact that he will never be rid of his murderous tendencies and now it appears that he is going to start seeing the Dark Passenger in the form of his brother from the first season.
[close]

Also 4th season is worth checking out for John Lithgow since you've stopped at the 3rd. You can easily skip the 5th season since nothing of worth happens.

Thanks! Will do.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3427 on: November 08, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
4th season was soooo good.  I got a few eps into the 5th before I couldn't take it. 

Man, episode 2 and 3 of Breaking Bad Season 3 are so fucking good. 

And I'm sorry, I fucking hate Skyler.  Just something about her, I hate her.  I understand her perspective but goddamn I can't fucking stand her.  She's so irritating.  Walt is going to beat the shit of Ted's dandy ass. 

Fucking Jesse being careless as always.  I'm glad they finally disconnected Jane's cell phone.  Saul and Gus are so fucking awesome.  They make the show awesome. 

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3428 on: November 08, 2011, 12:40:07 PM »
I'd rather Ted stay unharmed. He's a hot male equivalent of a cougar. A manther, if you will.  :-*

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3429 on: November 08, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
i've enjoyed every season of dexter, it's been over the top and unbelievable since day one

you're a serial killer

who kills serial killers

and finds out your long-lost brother is

a serial killer

who got engaged to your sister

so he could serial kill her

[close]

i mean, that's some mexican soap opera shit right there
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 01:07:50 PM by Dr. Feelbad »
sup

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3430 on: November 08, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
I'd rather Ted stay unharmed. He's a hot male equivalent of a cougar. A manther, if you will.  :-*
:lol

I don't like him.  I like Walt a lot more, especially when he's in one of his alpha moods.  Ted comes off like an annoying bitch version of Walt. 
Leaves unreported income instead of making meth to provide for his family.  Hides in his office like a bitch when Walt shows up.  Doesn't care that his family hates him and wasn't willing to fight for it.  "The girls went through the same thing, they'll get over it." Doesn't take what he wants.  He's wanted Skyler since she started working there but he acted like a girl and waited for her to make the move. 
[close]
He's the opposite of everything I like about Walt.

Robo

« Reply #3431 on: November 08, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »
i've enjoyed every season of dexter, it's been over the top and unbelievable since day one

you're a serial killer

who kills serial killers

a serial killer

[close]

I'm still holding out for Doakes' twin brother to return, absolve his brother and go back to work on the force in his place (but then it turns out he's a serial killer and knows Dexter's secret  :o).

It could happen.
obo

Enl

« Reply #3432 on: November 08, 2011, 01:40:59 PM »

you're a serial killer

who kills serial killers

a serial killer

[close]

I'm still holding out for Doakes' twin brother to return, absolve his brother and go back to work on the force in his place (but then it turns out he's a serial killer and knows Dexter's secret  :o).

It could happen.

Hey there's a new buff, bald black dude on the force so that plot line is a possibility! 
mmm

Himu

« Reply #3433 on: November 08, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
I really liked season 2 of Dexter.  :-\ I mean, it wasn't bad. Season 1 was just as coincidental and ham fisted. Thankfully the show is so well written I think it overcomes these flaws.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3434 on: November 08, 2011, 02:41:39 PM »
Dexter and well-written in the same sentence.  :dizzy
AMC

« Reply #3435 on: November 08, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
Mad Men is still back in February, right?
野球

Himu

« Reply #3436 on: November 08, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
March I think? :(
IYKYK

« Reply #3437 on: November 08, 2011, 02:53:27 PM »
Yep, March according to Wiki. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about it, since I'm sure they're filming.
野球

Himu

« Reply #3438 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:17 PM »
They're filming now. Maybe even done. I think they started filming in August?

I've read we have a new (yes another) Bobby Draper.
IYKYK

Hock

« Reply #3439 on: November 08, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
I thought Dexter Season 1 was one of the best individual seasons of tv ever. It could have ended there, and it would have been perfect. Such an excellent, self-contained story. I liked the first half of Season 2, but I thought it kind of fell apart towards the end. Never watched Season 3 or beyond. Is it worth it?
Dexter was one of my favorite shows period during Season 1 and 2. 3 is not nearly as good and is really just more of the same with a good antagonist for Dexter to play off of. 4 is more of the same with a better antagonist for Dexter to play off of. I don't know where Season 5 goes after the first two episodes since that's where I stopped.

I still think the show made a huge mistake by (Season 2 spoiler) 
Killing Doakes
[close]
looking back it just reeks of a move to keep the status quo. I don't even know why they are so in love with the "Dexter kills people but is also the police" idea when they could have gone in so many different directions.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3440 on: November 08, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
I agree, Hock.  It's just stale. 
It didn't seem like much changed when Rita died.  It just seemed like they were going to brush over it real quick with no real consequences
[close]

Himu

« Reply #3441 on: November 08, 2011, 03:42:46 PM »
I agree in regards to that s2 spoiler. Shit was stupid and the only bad thing about s2.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3442 on: November 08, 2011, 07:52:26 PM »
I agree in regards to that s2 spoiler. Shit was stupid and the only bad thing about s2.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time wondering, oh, hell, how are they going to get out of this. I wasn't prepared for that solution. In as much as that, I was impressed with it, but it robbed the series of one of its sources of constant tension.

Beezy

« Reply #3443 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:20 PM »
Am I the only one here watching season 4 of Sons of Anarchy? Probably the best so far.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3444 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:50 AM »
breaking bad S4: All the Jesse scenes have been ace. Watching him just become totally numb to the world is incredible.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3445 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:18 AM »
Am I the only one here watching season 4 of Sons of Anarchy? Probably the best so far.

I'm going to marathon it one of these days.
AMC

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3446 on: November 09, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »
I'm about 8 episodes into Season 3 of Breaking Bad and fuck it's good. 

Jesse just agreed to cook in the lab with him
[close]

As this goes on, my hatred for pretty much all the characters grow but I continue to watch to see their lives fall apart.  So good. 

My wife and I were talking about endings last night and I would love it if everyone got killed except Saul, Gus and Walt Jr.  At the end Walt Jr is staying at some house or hotel or something or he's on the street and Saul walks up to him says a few quick witted lines and says "Here kid, your dad left this for you.  Cheer up!" and walked away.  I'd love it.  Those are the only 3 characters I don't hate.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #3447 on: November 09, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »

Yeah, it's been pretty great, nice bounceback afterv S3
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3448 on: November 09, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
I really wanted to see History Channel's Vietnam in HD but I don't have cable and I can't find a damn torrent anywhere :maf

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3449 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
Nearby general store was mentioned on Colbert Report (yesterday but I caught the rerun today):

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/401791/november-08-2011/the-blitzkrieg-on-grinchitude---fired-santa-claus---colbert-super-pac-christmas

:piss Suffolk County, can't pay $800 for Santa to entertain kids at the general store, but pays their cops RIDICULOUSLY high salaries (highest in the nation) to patrol one of the safest counties in the country.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #3450 on: November 11, 2011, 12:17:16 AM »
Catching up on Breaking Bad season 4. Still one of the few shows that manages to make me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack each episode. FUCK.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3451 on: November 11, 2011, 05:16:54 AM »
I finally got around to starting Parks and Recreation. The first few episodes of S2 are much better than S1. And Ron Swanson is already my favorite comedic character since Gob. Fucking amazing.
AMC

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3452 on: November 11, 2011, 05:25:08 AM »
"I'll whip 'er in the face if she makes a peep!" god i love frank

god i love it's always sunny

kitten mittens

that is all

etiolate

« Reply #3453 on: November 11, 2011, 05:44:04 AM »
"watch out for his pointy feet"

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3454 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »
Watched The Fly episode of Breaking Bad last night.  Man, it wasn't a particularly horribly written episode.  But it definitely felt like the first filler episode of this show.  I know it was supposed to be a lot of character development but most of it fell flat IMO.  The change in pace from previous episodes was too abrupt.  It only got good towards the end and that's because I thought Walt was going to tell Jesse the truth about Jane.  Oh well. 

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3455 on: November 11, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
Sunny was a good episode last night. They always have a couple great ones in a season.

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #3456 on: November 11, 2011, 10:07:24 AM »
Watched The Fly episode of Breaking Bad last night.  Man, it wasn't a particularly horribly written episode.  But it definitely felt like the first filler episode of this show.  I know it was supposed to be a lot of character development but most of it fell flat IMO.  The change in pace from previous episodes was too abrupt.  It only got good towards the end and that's because I thought Walt was going to tell Jesse the truth about Jane.  Oh well. 

One of the reasons I didn't mind that episode was
(IIRC) Walt acknowledging the events of the Season 2 finale, and the sheer mathematical odds of how it played out. For a show somewhat based around a character with a science background, seasons 2's ending bugged the shit out of me, and having Walt touch on it made me a little happier.
[close]
fek

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3457 on: November 11, 2011, 10:09:12 AM »
I finally got around to starting Parks and Recreation. The first few episodes of S2 are much better than S1. And Ron Swanson is already my favorite comedic character since Gob. Fucking amazing.
You aren't really prepared coming straight out of S1 like that, it makes grand jumps with each season. S1 is like The Office's first season was. Parks has yet to come back down though.
"I'll whip 'er in the face if she makes a peep!" god i love frank

god i love it's always sunny

kitten mittens

that is all
THE VASE! SHIT!
[close]

The League was great this week, both episodes, Office was somehow even more horrendous than normal. Community had its usual couple good minutes.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3458 on: November 11, 2011, 10:19:38 AM »

One of the reasons I didn't mind that episode was
(IIRC) Walt acknowledging the events of the Season 2 finale, and the sheer mathematical odds of how it played out. For a show somewhat based around a character with a science background, seasons 2's ending bugged the shit out of me, and having Walt touch on it made me a little happier.
[close]
Yeah that was one of the better parts of it.  It wasn't just the absurdity of it that bugged me, it was that it never showed Walt even acknowledging it after he must have figured it out.  Like it didn't matter.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3459 on: November 11, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:55:55 AM by Stoney Mason »

Robo

« Reply #3460 on: November 11, 2011, 12:19:08 PM »
Having just finished S3 of P&R, I think the one specific thing that contributes the most to its overall improvement is Leslie's turn from a moronic Michael Scott copypasta to a unique character.  That's part of the writing improving in general, but Leslie is an amazing central character by the end of S2 and commands the direction of the show (for the better).
obo

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3461 on: November 11, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »
Having just finished S3 of P&R, I think the one specific thing that contributes the most to its overall improvement is Leslie's turn from a moronic Michael Scott copypasta to a unique character.  That's part of the writing improving in general, but Leslie is an amazing central character by the end of S2 and commands the direction of the show (for the better).

I think they were simply making an office clone when the show began and that's a tired idea. They then quickly fixed a lot of stuff by not only making Leslie competent but everybody became more competent. Everybody become more likable. And the characters started to actually like each other. All changes for the better for this type of show. You can't help but watch this show and smile all the way through it. And not in a syrupy way. But just in a good way. 

That character they got rid of who Leslie liked early on was the perfect example. He was this cynical Jim type character from the office and he doesn't fit a show like this at all. This show isn't about being cynical. Which is a refreshing change. You want to like these characters and you want to root for them.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 12:32:10 PM by Stoney Mason »

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3462 on: November 11, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
Sunny was a good episode last night. They always have a couple great ones in a season.
I've loved every episode of It's Always Sunny. That show is comedic gold.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3463 on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
I don't really care for the show that much anymore. I felt like they trapped themselves by trying to out-vulgar and out shock themselves to me. But occasionally the old magic works like it did last night.

cool breeze

« Reply #3464 on: November 11, 2011, 03:05:26 PM »

« Reply #3465 on: November 11, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »
The League was great this week, both episodes, Office was somehow even more horrendous than normal. Community had its usual couple good minutes.

Sunny has improved since last season, but The League is now the funniest show on FX.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3466 on: November 11, 2011, 05:34:49 PM »

I think they were simply making an office clone when the show began and that's a tired idea. They then quickly fixed a lot of stuff by not only making Leslie competent but everybody became more competent. Everybody become more likable. And the characters started to actually like each other. All changes for the better for this type of show. You can't help but watch this show and smile all the way through it. And not in a syrupy way. But just in a good way. 

That character they got rid of who Leslie liked early on was the perfect example. He was this cynical Jim type character from the office and he doesn't fit a show like this at all. This show isn't about being cynical. Which is a refreshing change. You want to like these characters and you want to root for them.

Well, they didn't get rid of him, they just made him get a concussion while falling into the pit and used that as an excuse to make him nicer. hahaha

And I think Archer is the funniest show on FX, while Louie is the best.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:36:55 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Robo

« Reply #3467 on: November 11, 2011, 05:37:07 PM »
end of P&R Season 2 semi-spoiler
They actually get rid of him.  And I completely agree with Stoney re: the cynicism.  By the end, he's completely out of place with the rest of the cast and his role is wisely diminished.  Plus for Season 3, they add Adam Scott and Rob Lowe to more than fill the position.
[close]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:57:37 PM by Robo »
obo

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3468 on: November 11, 2011, 05:47:40 PM »

This has convinced me to start watching Strike Back

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3469 on: November 11, 2011, 05:54:21 PM »
I went to quote your post, Robo, to reply and ask what show you're talking about, and I forgot that would reveal the spoiler. Oh well, it's a fucking comedy show. Adam Scott is awesome. Can't wait.

And that GIF has convinced me as well, PD.
AMC

Robo

« Reply #3470 on: November 11, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
Yeah, it's just something to look forward to.  Season 3 is so good.
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3471 on: November 11, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
Downton Abbey   :-[ :bow

first time I've teared up due to a television series since The Wire S4

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3472 on: November 11, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »

Sunny has improved since last season, but The League is now the funniest show on FX.
Archer and Wilfred and Louie say no.

« Reply #3473 on: November 11, 2011, 10:03:16 PM »
Archer is brilliant, but I relate to The League, so I find it even funnier.
野球

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3474 on: November 11, 2011, 10:55:59 PM »
I know a girl who hates football and doesn't know much about fantasy football, but LOVES The League. I'll have to check it out, see what the hype is about. But damn, I have so many shows I need to start.

Pretty much right now I'm just watching The Walking Dead, Always Sunny, Downton Abbey, and re-watching The Wire S1. I'll probably start Homeland soon

Stoney Mason

« Reply #3475 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
Well, they didn't get rid of him, they just made him get a concussion while falling into the pit and used that as an excuse to make him nicer. hahaha

Not Andy. This dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Brendanawicz

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3476 on: November 12, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »

Not Andy. This dude

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Brendanawicz

Nah, I was talking about him, but I thought you were talking about S1->S2, not S2->S3.
AMC

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3477 on: November 12, 2011, 04:15:58 AM »
You know what's even funnier than the FX comedies? The Onion News Network. Oh my fucking god.

"A fat black man's laugh, like the tinkling of bells, can brighten anyone's day."  :lol :lol :lol :lol

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3478 on: November 12, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
breaking news:

BREAKING BAD SEASON 3 IS AMAZING!!
nat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3479 on: November 12, 2011, 09:17:09 PM »
I know a girl who hates football and doesn't know much about fantasy football, but LOVES The League. I'll have to check it out, see what the hype is about. But damn, I have so many shows I need to start.

Pretty much right now I'm just watching The Walking Dead, Always Sunny, Downton Abbey, and re-watching The Wire S1. I'll probably start Homeland soon

The League's use of fantasy football is great. Its just the underlying motivation for all these people to hang out and get into shit. Also I love how they have Jenny in there as the almost straight (comedically) woman but also gets into some hijinks. She's also fucking hot.
:9