Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1856802 times)

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
Re: Other Forums Containment Thread
« Reply #27000 on: August 12, 2022, 01:38:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-created-a-facebook-page-years-ago-forgot-about-it-and-now-is-kinda-famous.618933/
So I created a Facebook page about World War II years ago. I was updating it daily and forgot about it. Logged back in today and found out that it has more than 10k followers. Not super famous but what a surprise lol

The page is called World War II In Pictures
:ego
Weird flex but ok

TacoWallace

« Reply #27001 on: August 12, 2022, 01:52:20 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ezra-miller-they-them-crimes-ot-the-stories-go-here-and-nowhere-else.617877/page-3#post-91406154

Quote from: ZeroVagine (He/They), post: 91406154, member: 1119
Having a single thread for this makes sense. Pretty much makes it impossible for any misgendering to be an accident at that point.

That’s the important takeaway here  :social2

Having a single name for your Patreon account makes sense too. Unfortunately this guy shows up in credits of youtube videos as <real first name> 'ZeoVGM' <real last name> so his resetera name gets remembered by as many people as possible.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #27002 on: August 12, 2022, 01:54:30 PM »
Think of the fatwa sex though :drool

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:larry
[close]

Surprised this doesn’t have a Demi like tbh

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27003 on: August 12, 2022, 01:57:37 PM »
Its crazy that you can opt-in to the progressive stack just by decalring yourself non binary (and then fuck it up by not even getting your pronouns fucking right) and then get to act mortally offended by people talking about someone else who you don't even fucking know and have no idea if they even care that much.

IF you're 'non-binary' you're either, neither, or both. You're not being fucking misgendered in a way someone refusing to call ellen page, she, her is.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27004 on: August 12, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »
Its crazy that you can opt-in to the progressive stack just by decalring yourself non binary (and then fuck it up by not even getting your pronouns fucking right) and then get to act mortally offended by people talking about someone else who you don't even fucking know and have no idea if they even care that much.

IF you're 'non-binary' you're either, neither, or both. You're not being fucking misgendered in a way someone refusing to call ellen page, she, her is.

this is the post that will prevent me from office

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27005 on: August 12, 2022, 02:03:10 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-i-created-a-facebook-page-years-ago-forgot-about-it-and-now-is-kinda-famous.618933/
So I created a Facebook page about World War II years ago. I was updating it daily and forgot about it. Logged back in today and found out that it has more than 10k followers. Not super famous but what a surprise lol

The page is called World War II In Pictures
:ego
Weird flex but ok

Would recommend going through and checking for any Nazi dogwhistlers tbh

WWII is pretty sus, bro. You got any pictures of WWII German leaders on that page, by chance?
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27006 on: August 12, 2022, 02:05:06 PM »
I can only assume bitch-dubs made it a containment thread because he realised how fucking stupid it is throwing bans around like candy just to appease people like astro and zerovagine who want to make it all about them, but is also too much of a bitch to tell high grossing informants to fuck off

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27007 on: August 12, 2022, 02:07:52 PM »
Quote from: wikipedia
Miller came out as queer in 2012,[32] but avoids the use of the label "queer".[33] They had also said in 2018, "Queer just means no, I don't do that. I don't identify as a man. I don't identify as a woman. I barely identify as a human."[34] Miller uses they/them pronouns, which GQ wrote in 2020 was "a pointed refusal to be gendered".[33] They previously used all pronouns interchangeably[35][36] but, as of 2022, use they/them, it, or zir pronouns.

So we're allowed to call ezra 'it' as a preferrd pronoun, and it made this choice as a 'pointed' effort to reject societal norms. Like age of consent and personal boundaries.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27008 on: August 12, 2022, 02:09:28 PM »
I can guarantee if you refer to ezra as 'it' - ONE OF THEIR STATED PREFERRED PRONOUNS - on era, you're getting a perm for 'dehumanising'

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27009 on: August 12, 2022, 02:12:43 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/

Considering how they all reacted to Dave Chappelle almost getting stabbed the thread just feels two faced to me

Also waiting for Kyuuji to make her great appearance

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/10/07/salman-rushdie-makes-gender-reassignment-warning/

I can't help but feel rustynails is lurking that thread and seething at no opportunity (yet) to jump in and complain about islamophobia

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27011 on: August 12, 2022, 02:19:35 PM »
Of course some Ree members know to find shit no normal person would consider curating for 5 seconds  :lol
🤴

Taco Bell Tower

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #27014 on: August 12, 2022, 03:28:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-3#post-91479108

:cop User banned (3 months): islamophobia, framing religious fundamentalism as an exclusively Muslim problem
Quote from: Acetown
Quote from: Mesoian
But like...

The Satanic Verses is a fictional book right?

This makes no sense to me. Which I guess is the point.
Incidents like this really shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point. We had the Charlie Hebdo massacre a bunch of years back, Jyllandsposten, the Asia Bibi case, Samuel Paty. Those are the big ones. In Sweden we had a guy who lived under 24/7 police protection over some dumb drawing (he died in a car crash just recently).
I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world, certainly a very symbolically loaded one, and at least in Europe it's come to animate a lot of the far right discourse. The Salman Rushdie case is pretty much where this conflict started.
OBE

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27015 on: August 12, 2022, 03:36:43 PM »
 :mindblown
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #27016 on: August 12, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but Muslims seem to be the only modern religious group who is killing people over simple speech...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27017 on: August 12, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »
Them and Apple fans
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #27018 on: August 12, 2022, 03:48:00 PM »
tbh I’m just learning how far reaching the fatwa is. Always thought it was was. But they’ve kept the bounty rolling since 1989, occasionally adding to the pot, and extending it past Rushdie.

The fatwa also applied to anyone involved in publishing the book. In 1991, two translators of The Satanic Verses were attacked: Its Japanese translator, the Islamic scholar Hitoshi Igarashi, was stabbed and killed at a university near Tokyo; the book’s Italian translator, Ettore Capriolo, was attacked and stabbed in his home in Milan, but survived. In 1993, a large mob targeting the Turkish translator, the leftist author Aziz Nesin, set fire to a hotel in Sivas, Turkey, killing 37 people (Nesin escaped). And later that year, a gunman in Oslo opened fire on the book’s Norwegian publisher, William Nygaard, who was shot three times in the back but survived.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27019 on: August 12, 2022, 03:52:03 PM »
whatever remnant of the BCT remains no longer has any power

most of the prominent rabble-rousers were banned over the years, and also they got fed up with having to police themselves so they mostly moved to a discord treehouse
ACAB
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27020 on: August 12, 2022, 03:53:45 PM »
tbh I’m just learning how far reaching the fatwa is. Always thought it was was. But they’ve kept the bounty rolling since 1989, occasionally adding to the pot, and extending it past Rushdie.

The fatwa also applied to anyone involved in publishing the book. In 1991, two translators of The Satanic Verses were attacked: Its Japanese translator, the Islamic scholar Hitoshi Igarashi, was stabbed and killed at a university near Tokyo; the book’s Italian translator, Ettore Capriolo, was attacked and stabbed in his home in Milan, but survived. In 1993, a large mob targeting the Turkish translator, the leftist author Aziz Nesin, set fire to a hotel in Sivas, Turkey, killing 37 people (Nesin escaped). And later that year, a gunman in Oslo opened fire on the book’s Norwegian publisher, William Nygaard, who was shot three times in the back but survived.
Like I said in the other thread, god willing someone's gonna get paid :money
🤴

Propagandhim

« Reply #27021 on: August 12, 2022, 03:55:17 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-3#post-91479108

:cop User banned (3 months): islamophobia, framing religious fundamentalism as an exclusively Muslim problem
But like...

Incidents like this really shouldn't be shocking to anyone at this point. We had the Charlie Hebdo massacre a bunch of years back, Jyllandsposten, the Asia Bibi case, Samuel Paty. Those are the big ones. In Sweden we had a guy who lived under 24/7 police protection over some dumb drawing (he died in a car crash just recently).
I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world, certainly a very symbolically loaded one, and at least in Europe it's come to animate a lot of the far right discourse. The Salman Rushdie case is pretty much where this conflict started.

Protecting religion is job #1 at Resetera

framing religious fundamentalism as an exclusively Muslim problem

Uh, the killing part?  It is.  Then again, words are violence so it all blends together these days.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 04:11:14 PM by Propagandhim »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27022 on: August 12, 2022, 04:00:19 PM »
weirdly I was thinking about drawings of The Prophet earlier today before this happened

was wondering what would happen if you draw a nondescript middle eastern man with the caption I REFUSE TO CLARIFY THE INDIVIDUAL WHO THIS IS A DRAWING OF

are you still getting murdered

spoiler (click to show/hide)
for ending with a preposition
[close]
Uncle

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27023 on: August 12, 2022, 04:01:10 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but Muslims seem to be the only modern religious group who is killing people over simple speech...
Hindus are doing a great job of being extremist at the moment
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27024 on: August 12, 2022, 04:09:59 PM »
wait what if you use a fucking AI art generator

:ohhh :whoo

do they have to murder the computer and the engineers who developed it
Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #27025 on: August 12, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
wait what if you use a fucking AI art generator

:ohhh :whoo

do they have to murder the computer and the engineers who developed it

A competing AI must issue a Fat32wa  :O

Polident Hive

« Reply #27026 on: August 12, 2022, 04:12:49 PM »
The Catholic Church was pretty upset at Marty Scorsese over The Last Temptation of Christ. Not trying paying out to murder him mad. Normal boycott shit. Marvel fans held a grudge longer than them. Jewish folk couldn’t even keep Mel down :cry

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27027 on: August 12, 2022, 04:17:51 PM »
the first temptation of christ was to bite mary's nipple (he abstained)
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27028 on: August 12, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »
I can't help but feel rustynails is lurking that thread and seething at no opportunity (yet) to jump in and complain about islamophobia

Oh, my bad.

He's lurking that thread furiously mashing the report button.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #27029 on: August 12, 2022, 05:21:37 PM »
3 months is pretty severe for citing relevant examples relating to the topic at hand.

Its not like he was bringing up the fact Mohammed is canonically a paedophile apropos of nothing

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27030 on: August 12, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/forspoken-is-getting-memed-on.618105/page-3#post-91373436
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling; Inflammatory Generalization; History of the Same
If you don't like the game you're racist

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27031 on: August 12, 2022, 05:26:43 PM »
3 months is pretty severe for citing relevant examples relating to the topic at hand.

Its not like he was bringing up the fact Mohammed is canonically a paedophile apropos of nothing

I'm getting the impression they're dishing out a lot more 3 months Bans than before.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27032 on: August 12, 2022, 05:27:46 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/forspoken-is-getting-memed-on.618105/page-3#post-91373436
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling; Inflammatory Generalization; History of the Same
If you don't like the game you're racist

Repeatedly and condescendingly calling people racist over a stupid ad is cool but don't you dare call it out.

Btw. I think it's hilarious they're complaining about how "no one does this with male characters". Meanwhile anytime the main character from Jedi fall order is posted it's filled with pages and pages of disgust

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27033 on: August 12, 2022, 06:44:01 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ghost-of-tsushimas-director-chad-stahelski-wants-to-make-the-film-with-an-all-japanese-cast-and-in-japanese-language.618966/#post-91482516
User Banned (2 weeks): Thread derailing; history of similar infractions
What a hilarious turd this IP is
What? Wrong thread?
I mean these laughable claims to authenticity amidst a culturally appropriative hodgepodge of a game made by Western creatives
Are you Japanese?
No? Are you?

Is this a relevant question in my response to my argument? No, it isn't. There are plenty of good pieces out there written both by people who are and aren't Japanese about the issues with Ghost of Tsushima. I'd encourage you to read them rather than just playing the 'outraged weeb' card.
I am as a diaspora and with family in Japan. I've read them as well, and have differing opinions given my conversations with friends & family back in Japan and with family that lives in the West. So kindly piss off with the "weeb outrage" energy card out the gate.
:expert

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27034 on: August 12, 2022, 06:48:22 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fbi-searched-trump%E2%80%99s-home-to-look-for-nuclear-documents-and-other-items-sources-say.618657/page-35#post-91484421
True story: I unwittingly mis-typed that third code number into Google and got "18 U.S. Code § 1591 - Sex trafficking of children or by force, fraud, or coercion". Just about had a heart attack.
:gurl

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #27035 on: August 12, 2022, 07:07:26 PM »
Reee is already working themselves into another "got him" ferver.
Oi Oi

Taco Bell Tower

Taco Bell Tower

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27038 on: August 12, 2022, 07:28:31 PM »
Quote from: Comedysmasher
The funny part is how ridiculously, comically historically inaccurate Tsushima is in basically every single conceivable way, but the production values are so high that people generally overlook that. What we now consider the archetypal "katana" didn't even exist yet at the time of the first invasion and the game is like "HERE, JIN, TAKE YOUR FAMILY'S ANCESTRAL KATANA AND ARMOR"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ghost-of-tsushimas-director-chad-stahelski-wants-to-make-the-film-with-an-all-japanese-cast-and-in-japanese-language.618966/post-91484247

Oh, so now it's crucial that a game is historically accurate.

I thought historical accuracy is a white supremacist dog whistle

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #27039 on: August 12, 2022, 08:01:24 PM »
Quote from: Comedysmasher
The funny part is how ridiculously, comically historically inaccurate Tsushima is in basically every single conceivable way, but the production values are so high that people generally overlook that. What we now consider the archetypal "katana" didn't even exist yet at the time of the first invasion and the game is like "HERE, JIN, TAKE YOUR FAMILY'S ANCESTRAL KATANA AND ARMOR"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ghost-of-tsushimas-director-chad-stahelski-wants-to-make-the-film-with-an-all-japanese-cast-and-in-japanese-language.618966/post-91484247

Oh, so now it's crucial that a game is historically accurate.

I thought historical accuracy is a white supremacist dog whistle

Asians are white-adjacent so it still works :ufup

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #27040 on: August 12, 2022, 08:03:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/fox-news-breitbart-has-obtained-the-trump-raid-search-warrant-being-investigated-for-violating-the-espionage-act.618999/page-6#post-91489050
Anyone visited the old place to see the cope and mental gymnastics? I haven't yet, but I can only stay strong for so long
:lol

BrokenVerses

« Reply #27041 on: August 12, 2022, 08:49:14 PM »

But like...

That ban is not going over well at all lol.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-4

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27042 on: August 12, 2022, 08:55:59 PM »
I’d love to read a further justification of that ban, not that I’m entitled to it or anything. All I read was fact, fact, fact, informed opinion, neutral observation and fact.
There’s definitely a mod here who lacks any semblance of objectivity and is prone to childish knee jerk reactions whenever something they don’t personally like has been posted.

They'll probably lock the thread because now it's "derailed" and say that the poster can appeal the ban (which will of course be rejected but without annoying public witnesses)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27043 on: August 12, 2022, 09:09:46 PM »
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27044 on: August 12, 2022, 09:11:04 PM »
Lot of secret racists coming out of the woodwork in the thread. Ladies and gentlemen, we got ‘em!
©@©™

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27045 on: August 12, 2022, 09:15:56 PM »

But like...

That ban is not going over well at all lol.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/salman-rushdie-attacked-at-a-lecture-in-new-york.618873/page-4

Luckily, the essential diplomat Poodlestrike is there to de-escalate the issue.

Quote from: Dipshit Mod
Guys, let me point out that the user literally says, "I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world." We have this same issue IN the western world. It manifests itself as transphobia, homophobia, book bannings across America, anti-choice rhetoric, misogyny, and various other bigotries. A vast majority of it is religiously driven. Violence against LGBTQ+ people is religiously driven.

The poster was banned because they implied the religious fanaticism that results in violence was just a problem in Muslim countries. They said it was a point of contention between the West and the Islamic word. It very clearly isn't, we have the same issues to an extent, and the implication that it is exclusive to the Islamic world, is kinda bigoted.

If you'll notice, plenty of posters talked about religious fanaticism and didn't get banned. It's more than possible to have this discussion without white washing anything or implying that the problem is exclusive to one group of people.

Salman Rushdie did not deserve to be attacked and Iran was in the wrong for putting out a hit on the man just because he criticized their leader. What's happened to him after writing that book is unconscionable and indefensible, but that doesn't make bigotry ok. We can criticize the actions that led to this attack without being bigots. It's not a high bar to clear and pretty much everyone else in this thread has managed to clear it. We aren't asking a lot.

As expected, its helping to calm down the other posters tremendously.

literally grasping at straws.
Nowhere in Acetown's post is it framed as being 'exclusive to the Islamic world.' You're imagining something that isn't there.
Nothing about the quote you're focusing on implies anything else you said to be untrue.
How hard is it to admit that a mod fucked up? This is a dogshit reply.
Here’s a thought, maybe instead of dropping a 3 month ban over something you feel was implied, ask the user to clarify first. Holy shit.
Nowhere in the posters comment did they imply religious fanaticism was a solely Muslim problem.
The ban makes no sense at all.
I am really sorry, but this is absolutely insane. Both the initial ban and this awful response.
The logical outcome of the justification for the ban would be that in any discussion of the growing threat and reality of neofascist, Christian-inspired violence against marginalized groups in the United States would have to be accompanied by a disclaimer about Islamist-inspired violence elsewhere. Which is simply ludicrous.
I don’t see this whatsoever. I understand what you’re saying, but it is simply not true. He does not deserve to be banned.
He should not be banned. Not that it should matter but I am a Muslim and what he said I agree 100%. There are bad apples in my "community" and no one here said they are significant number of among my group. I am not shocked what someone thought Islam allowed him to do (stab a man in this case) which is 100% opposite of my understanding of my religion. Please unban him.
So you made an assumption and instead of asking the person in question to clarify themselves they immediately got banned. Not a very healthy or constructive way of doings things tbh.
Unless there's something else in their posting history to confirm otherwise, that feels like a huge assumption of bad faith.
The poster is discussing blasphemy in particular, the implication that he was referring to all religious violence is a major stretch here
Absolute nonsense. None of this was implied in that post.

Well done, Chief. Mission accomplished.

:wow

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27046 on: August 12, 2022, 09:18:36 PM »
Poodlestrikes response is a great insight into the mod process

Guys, let me point out that the user literally says, "I feel like the question of blasphemy and free speech has become one of the biggest points of contention between the west and the islamic world." We have this same issue IN the western world. It manifests itself as transphobia, homophobia, book bannings across America, anti-choice rhetoric, misogyny, and various other bigotries. A vast majority of it is religiously driven. Violence against LGBTQ+ people is religiously driven.

The poster was banned because they implied the religious fanaticism that results in violence was just a problem in Muslim countries. They said it was a point of contention between the West and the Islamic word. It very clearly isn't, we have the same issues to an extent, and the implication that it is exclusive to the Islamic world, is kinda bigoted.

If you'll notice, plenty of posters talked about religious fanaticism and didn't get banned. It's more than possible to have this discussion without white washing anything or implying that the problem is exclusive to one group of people.

Salman Rushdie did not deserve to be attacked and Iran was in the wrong for putting out a hit on the man just because he criticized their leader. What's happened to him after writing that book is unconscionable and indefensible, but that doesn't make bigotry ok. We can criticize the actions that led to this attack without being bigots. It's not a high bar to clear and pretty much everyone else in this thread has managed to clear it. We aren't asking a lot.

Here’s a thought, maybe instead of dropping a 3 month ban over something you feel was implied, ask the user to clarify first. Holy shit.

So you made an assumption and instead of asking the person in question to clarify themselves they immediately got banned. Not a very healthy or constructive way of doings things tbh.

I also like poodlestrike's condescending "Just don't be a bigot" as if it was just established that the banned poster is absolutely a bigot

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27047 on: August 12, 2022, 09:21:08 PM »
Quote from: Poodleshit

mother fucker

:rage

if I say "the question of condiment usage is one of the biggest differences between hamburgers and hot dogs" I haven't made the claim that there is no contention about what condiments to use just among burgers

when you compare two things, YOU ARE COMPARING TWO THINGS, YOU'RE NOT EVEN IMPLYING ANYTHING ABOUT JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS UNLESS YOU EXPLICITLY SAY SO

:kinison

and Poodleshit literally says there that it's not a point of contention, because it's a problem within one culture also, as if that's evidence of anything happening or not happening between two different cultures

Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #27048 on: August 12, 2022, 09:21:16 PM »
The logical outcome of the justification for the ban would be that in any discussion of the growing threat and reality of neofascist, Christian-inspired violence against marginalized groups in the United States would have to be accompanied by a disclaimer about Islamist-inspired violence elsewhere. Which is simply ludicrous.

Lol at thinking these hypocritical, double-standard-loving shitheads would ever use logic.  :lol

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27049 on: August 12, 2022, 09:21:54 PM »
Oh shit, gold mine territory. They should put that thread in the Hall of Fame now.

Even if you want to ban someone for making a clumsy association, 3 months is over the top. It's not evidence of someone being a shitheel if they acknowledge a specific strain of murderous fundamentalism. I decry white supremacist and Christian fundamentalist violence all the time, I'm not *simultaneously suggesting* that other extremist violence doesn't happen or isn't a problem when I do that. That's the kind of argument that right-wingers use all the time. It's tribal politics and we can and should be above that.

:comeon

HECHT ALERT

Quote from: Even Bigger Dumbass
Ok look.

What is the common thread between the examples Acetown listed:

Charlie Hebdo
Jyllandsposten
Asia Bibi case
Samuel Paty

If they want to appeal to discuss what they MEANT, then fine, we can talk about it.

Tbh what wasn’t taken into account was the “this shouldn’t be shocking” line, which is borderline victim blaming and/or inherent disregard for Islam.

Let’s get back on topic.

Always circle the wagons.

Always.

EDIT: And HOW is "this shouldn't be shocking" victim blaming? The VICTIM is Rushdie, NOT Islam.

BisMarckie

« Reply #27050 on: August 12, 2022, 09:25:15 PM »
The victim is always the mod team :ufup

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27051 on: August 12, 2022, 09:25:36 PM »
Oh shit, gold mine territory. They should put that thread in the Hall of Fame now.

Even if you want to ban someone for making a clumsy association, 3 months is over the top. It's not evidence of someone being a shitheel if they acknowledge a specific strain of murderous fundamentalism. I decry white supremacist and Christian fundamentalist violence all the time, I'm not *simultaneously suggesting* that other extremist violence doesn't happen or isn't a problem when I do that. That's the kind of argument that right-wingers use all the time. It's tribal politics and we can and should be above that.

:comeon

HECHT ALERT

Quote from: Even Bigger Dumbass
Ok look.

What is the common thread between the examples Acetown listed:

Charlie Hebdo
Jyllandsposten
Asia Bibi case
Samuel Paty

If they want to appeal to discuss what they MEANT, then fine, we can talk about it.

Tbh what wasn’t taken into account was the “this shouldn’t be shocking” line, which is borderline victim blaming and/or inherent disregard for Islam.

Let’s get back on topic.

Always circle the wagons.

Always.

EDIT: And HOW is "this shouldn't be shocking" victim blaming? The VICTIM is Rushdie, NOT Islam.

What is the common thread? Blasphemy you absolute idiot  :lol
Almost like that was the point of his post

Propagandhim

« Reply #27052 on: August 12, 2022, 09:26:28 PM »
"Inherent disregard for Islam"

ITS A FUCKING RELIGION.  Nobody needs to have any regard for any religion, you fucking antediluvian psychopaths.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27053 on: August 12, 2022, 09:26:44 PM »
Oh, boy. Hecht's calm discourse is definitely doing the trick.

I mean you have more people disagreeing with you and the ban then the topic at hand. That says enough, The examples relate to the attack at hand. Just if another abortion clinic or doctor gets attacked I’m going to discuss the radicalism of far right Christianity and a “this shouldn’t be shocking” statement would absolutely fit in that same scenario
So just lock the topic if you don't want any one discussing this. He brought up a perfectly valid interpretation of this issue and nowhere implied it was all Muslims. Just take the overzealous ban L and free him.
Blasphemy... in a thread about someone trying to kill Salman fucking Rushdie. Again.
The common thread is the murder of innocent people by Islamic fundamentalists. It's a pattern of killing originating from a specific extremist, right-wing ideology that once again has reared its ugly head in this very case. Acknowledging that pattern is no more an indictment of Islam or Muslim people than acknowledging a pattern of white supremacist terrorism is an indictment of white people, or what

:rejoice :sabu :mynicca :neogaf

samir

« Reply #27054 on: August 12, 2022, 09:27:20 PM »
Islam should be ridiculed at all times.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27055 on: August 12, 2022, 09:29:20 PM »
"Pretty Islamophobic to only cite Islamic blasphemy murders while talking about an attempted blasphemy murder. Meanwhile the US discriminates transgender people and abolished Roe v Wade! Why aren't you talking about that, huh??"

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27056 on: August 12, 2022, 09:31:35 PM »
Oh lord, man. There are some posters fed up with the bullshit it seems.

Wait wait wait. So is your argument that there is NO connection between these events?
Or is it that suggesting any connection between them is Islamaphobic?

What is even going on here.
I dont know whats worse. The 3 month unwarranted ban or the administrator response doubling down in one of the worst posts i have ever seen in this forum thats not basically insulting, bigot or racist.

Just said you guys made a mistake and unban the guy damn, is not that hard and you will be wiser.
The common thread you are trying to get people to find is the very same thing this entire thread is about, because that's what has made Salman Rushdie a target for years.
That ban is a total embarrassment
It's OK to hold your hands up and admit you made a mistake, character building even.
Please take a second to read what you've just written.

You clearly didn't take any time to consider it while typing.

:mynicca

I’m with every single other person replying in this thread. The poster made very valid points. Sorry, but the ban was ridiculous and the replies have been too.
WHAT.

This is a discussion board…maybe they could have “discussed what they meant” if they we’re banned because of a knee jerk reaction from a mod? Nothing in the poster’s comment was worth a ban. You’re just making assumptions.
This has become a ban searching for a justification. Creating contexts that Acetown never conveyed and then expecting them to address them in appeal is so unfair.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #27057 on: August 12, 2022, 09:34:03 PM »
This thread has been a real jump the shark moment. If mods and admin can just read whatever they want into a post then damn near any post can be misinterpreted into something ban worthy, at which point how can any sort of genuine conversation occur. 99 percent of people would not read that post in a negative way.

It's almost as if the mods aren't moderating...

*puts on sunglasses*

in good faith

:yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #27058 on: August 12, 2022, 09:34:08 PM »
Quote from: kmfdmpig
This thread has been a real jump the shark moment. If mods and admin can just read whatever they want into a post then damn near any post can be misinterpreted into something ban worthy, at which point how can any sort of genuine conversation occur. 99 percent of people would not read that post in a negative way.

man that would be terrible if that started happening at a site like resetera

can you imagine what it would be like?  if they just started misinterpreting people into bans whenever they wanted?
Uncle

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #27059 on: August 12, 2022, 09:44:07 PM »
Sorry but not sorry, gotta keep going.

Staff response in this thread is disgraceful, do better.
If I pointed out a bunch of well known examples of Christian extremists being transphobic when another Christian extremist is transphobic, should I be banned? Should posts about fascist Christians in the US make sure to give a disclaimer about other religions and not all Christians are like this?
So when discussing terror attacks by extremist members of one religion we must now include examples from others? What?
how come people get shorter bans for racism or transphobia than that lol
This an embarrassing look for resetera and its admins. And no amount of “get back on topic” will make this go away. Fucking sickening.
Regarding the ban and the bullshit reasoning from the mods, do better - You keep trying to create reasons for it instead of maybe realizing oh we fucked up. our bad. Literally a thread about Salman Rushdie getting attacked, and blasphemy laws
It's extremely worrying that a 3 month ban was given out with out even a clarification asked on a form of communication meant for discussion.

There's only one solution. A calm hand to help moderate the situation.

NepNep, I choose you!