Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3098917 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Bebpo

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18481 on: October 18, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18482 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:04 PM »
Dead Space.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18483 on: October 18, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
EA said that Dead Space 3 needed to sell 5 million copies to break even, after Dead Space 2 sold around 4 million.

http://www.pcgamer.com/dead-space-needs-around-five-million-fans-to-survive-according-to-ea/
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18484 on: October 18, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18485 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
So I preordered the Super NT

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/
nat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18486 on: October 18, 2017, 09:35:53 PM »
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18487 on: October 18, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »
there's enough rumors about a game boy classic that it seems like a given at this point. i'm hesitant about it because i'm really not trying to go blind staring at a two-inch screen again. i also wonder how cheap they can make it considering it'll have a screen and battery. but if it has some kind of tv out, i'm there day one.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18488 on: October 18, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
So I preordered the Super NT

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

That's really cool. Price is a bit steep, though.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18489 on: October 18, 2017, 10:24:17 PM »
what's the advantage of getting an nt vs a regular snes with hdmi converter and wireless controller?
pcp

the freakin woz

« Reply #18490 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »
what's the advantage of getting an nt vs a regular snes with hdmi converter and wireless controller?

unofficial cores of other retro systems

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18491 on: October 19, 2017, 01:21:42 AM »
It doesn't do 4K, though... >:(

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18492 on: October 19, 2017, 03:00:52 AM »
i saved 15mb out of a 6gb folder :smug

benji thx for letting us know about that program..

here is a game list with compression results:

https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/wiki/Compression-Results:-Games
I have the "new" UT installed and check it every few months to play for a little bit to see how it's progressing and the chart is totally accurate, it compresses down to 3GB from 19GB. And I couldn't tell more than maybe ten extra seconds of loading. Some kind of crazy voodoo magic nonsense :lol

And it currently doesn't work on German and other localized systems. :<
https://github.com/ImminentFate/CompactGUI/issues/40
Right clicking a folder -> Properties -> Advanced -> Compress to save space is the same thing only it doesn't let you pick the compression setting like this tool and apparently is slower to run as it doesn't set a multi-threaded flag

It decompresses into RAM and the swap file I guess, so this may be more useful on "archiving" games you don't want to uninstall but can get 50% or more of the space back on. Then decompressing them when you want to play them.

Doesn't really seem to do much for folders with video files, music, etc. Pictures it does an okay amount on, and my old Excel/Word files it shrunk by 90%. Not that they were taking up too much space in the first place.

Probably would get more benefit on those types of things by just using the maximum 7zip setting rather than compressing the folder with this. :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18493 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:41 AM »
Apparently it's not a good idea to use it on games that frequently update, because you end up having to repeat the process.

The only other thing taking up a lot of space on my data drive are roms, but those are already compressed in a variety of formats, most of which can be read by the respective emulators.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18494 on: October 19, 2017, 10:37:04 AM »
It's using an FPGA to replicate the circuitry of the original hardware. 100% accuracy and compatibility and modern video output, with no added latency. Also, there are cores for other 8bit and 16bit systems made by the same designer that can be flashed onto it.

The guy who programmed the FPGA ultimately wants to do the same for 32bit systems, but the kind of FPGA that can do it either doesn't exist yet or is too expensive.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:23:25 PM by Rufus »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18495 on: October 19, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
@benjipwns

the freakin woz

« Reply #18496 on: October 19, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
It doesn't do 4K, though... >:(

gotta wait for the n64 box for that  :fbm

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #18498 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
Origin Access ??? I was looking through what was available as I'm keen to play Titanfall, and possibly Battlefield 1. I was not expecting Ultima and Wing Commander games to be available on the service
◕‿◕

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18499 on: October 19, 2017, 09:19:54 PM »
they've given away a lot of those for free over the years in their "on the house" thing

i have crusader no remorse, dungeon keeper, allied assault, nox, populus, sim city 2000, syndicate (original one), theme hospital, ultima 7 and 8, wing commander 3 and 4 from that on my account

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #18500 on: October 20, 2017, 03:01:10 AM »
Civ 3 is free on Humble.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18501 on: October 20, 2017, 12:20:38 PM »
Windows 10 wont let me use COMPACTGUI :(

It says Windows Defender Smart Screen has "helped" me stop the program.

Fuck off Bill Gates

nvm fixed it but damn :goty2
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:13:02 PM by MMaRsu »
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18502 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:38 PM »
Rumored list of OG Xbox backward compatible games

fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18503 on: October 21, 2017, 05:10:40 PM »
NINJA GAIDEN BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

spoiler (click to show/hide)
dead to rights and crimson skies also yes and dope
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18504 on: October 21, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Fuzion Frenzy is solid in short-bursts. But 480i emulation is... :doge

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18505 on: October 21, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »
Toying around with buying either Forza 7 or GT: Sport.

Forza's got that bullshit lootbox stuff but it's got a lot of content and cars and stuff
GT's got a cool concept but it's limited cars and stuff.

Dunno which to get. I only have a regular PS4 so won't benefit from Pro stuff for GT.

In the meantime I started playing Project Cars which is pretty gud.
nat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18506 on: October 21, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »

Forza's got that bullshit lootbox stuff but it's got a lot of content and cars and stuff

Dunno which to get. I only have a regular PS4 so won't benefit from Pro stuff for GT.

Just get Project Cars 2
What

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18507 on: October 21, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »

Just get Project Cars 2

fuck you're right.
nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18508 on: October 21, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
Really just want Orta out of BC honestly. It's the only Xbox game I'd play.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #18509 on: October 21, 2017, 10:17:33 PM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18510 on: October 21, 2017, 10:28:16 PM »
I started the Rally circuit in Project Cars 2 and it wants me to play the same race like 6 times with the same car. Four qualifying rounds, a semi final and then a final. I think I understand the point - which is to get intametly familiar with the track and the car... but sometimes it gets a little annoying.
nat

Qazcv

« Reply #18511 on: October 22, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »
Do you guys think Bethesda (ID) is working on some kind of single player Quake Soft-Reboot? I've been thinking about it recently, with the success of DOOM, and Wolfenstein showing that it is still a strong name. Not to mention Quake Champions, so some assets and ideas might be there. There's also IDTech6 which can look and play amazingly. I think there's definitely potential there, they would've just to have to decide if they take the goth/medieval look of the first of the whole industrial strogg ordeal as the main inspiration for it.

jacob.armitage

« Reply #18512 on: October 22, 2017, 12:57:32 AM »
Do you guys think Bethesda (ID) is working on some kind of single player Quake Soft-Reboot? I've been thinking about it recently, with the success of DOOM, and Wolfenstein showing that it is still a strong name. Not to mention Quake Champions, so some assets and ideas might be there. There's also IDTech6 which can look and play amazingly. I think there's definitely potential there, they would've just to have to decide if they take the goth/medieval look of the first of the whole industrial strogg ordeal as the main inspiration for it.

I really hope so, i fear that Champions isn't getting the traction they thought so I hope they don't lose faith in the IP. I never thought DOOM and Wolfenstein would be as relevant as they are again, I hope they can work that magic for Quake.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18513 on: October 22, 2017, 01:59:11 AM »
I'd figure doom 2 is next, with qc being all they have for a new quake game. and qc underperforming would make them less likely to come up with another quake game, I'd think. damn shame about qc too; i think it's a great game. just needs a more fun roster than fantasy metalhead type characters.
pcp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18514 on: October 22, 2017, 09:01:40 AM »
I wanna get your guys advice on what underrated/great pc games I should buy. I bought these games over the last week:

Alien Isolation
Batman Arkham Trilogy + Origins
CoD : Infinite Warfare ( 6 euro's on cd keys! )
Cities Skylines
CS:GO
The Darkness II
Rocket League
Dead Rising 1 + OTR + 3
DOOM
Duke Nukem Forever ( 1 euro cmon I had to have it lol )
FEAR 1 + 2
Gas Guzzlers Extreme
Mad Max
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Poker Night 2
RAGE
Red Faction Guerilla Steam Edition
UT3 Black Edition ( sadly noone seems to be playing this..why? Such a good UT game ! )
Wolfenstein TNO

Also not on Steam: Prince of Persia, FC3 Blood Dragon, FC3.

Shit..I bought a lot of games but most of them were dirt cheap. Any reccomends for unknown/underrated pc games?

Thx bore bro's
What

Qazcv

« Reply #18515 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
I'd figure doom 2 is next, with qc being all they have for a new quake game. and qc underperforming would make them less likely to come up with another quake game, I'd think. damn shame about qc too; i think it's a great game. just needs a more fun roster than fantasy metalhead type characters.

Yeah, maybe. It's an easier sell. I just hope they are not putting all their hopes about the Quake IP on Quake Champions. It's a cool game, I'll probably get it this holiday season, but they can do more with it. And hey, honestly, they should go even more metal with it.

Also, @MMaRsu (does this work like this here?), what kind of genres are you more interested in? Older, newer games?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18516 on: October 22, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »

Yeah, maybe. It's an easier sell. I just hope they are not putting all their hopes about the Quake IP on Quake Champions. It's a cool game, I'll probably get it this holiday season, but they can do more with it. And hey, honestly, they should go even more metal with it.

Also, @MMaRsu (does this work like this here?), what kind of genres are you more interested in? Older, newer games?

It doesnt really work like that :P. I'm mostly interested in pc games from the year 2000 onward. Genre doesn't really matter, I'm into all sorts of things. Except sim games and visual novels, I'm down with most stuff. Could be good RTS games I've ignored or games that just have a superior PC port compared to their console versions. I know that might be hard to go off, since I have played a shitton of games :success
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18517 on: October 22, 2017, 09:58:28 AM »
I wanna get your guys advice on what underrated/great pc games I should buy. I bought these games over the last week:

Alien Isolation
Batman Arkham Trilogy + Origins
CoD : Infinite Warfare ( 6 euro's on cd keys! )
Cities Skylines
CS:GO
The Darkness II
Rocket League
Dead Rising 1 + OTR + 3
DOOM
Duke Nukem Forever ( 1 euro cmon I had to have it lol )
FEAR 1 + 2
Gas Guzzlers Extreme
Mad Max
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Poker Night 2
RAGE
Red Faction Guerilla Steam Edition
UT3 Black Edition ( sadly noone seems to be playing this..why? Such a good UT game ! )
Wolfenstein TNO

Also not on Steam: Prince of Persia, FC3 Blood Dragon, FC3.

Shit..I bought a lot of games but most of them were dirt cheap. Any reccomends for unknown/underrated pc games?

Thx bore bro's

Xanadu Next is my pick - it reminds me of a long lost Dreamcast game or something in aesthetic presentation. A dungeon crawler/action RPG with some interesting level layouts and a solid difficulty level. It's from Falcom but it's not as fast as Ys or as story driven as Trails. Really flew under the radar of a lot of people.
^_^

Qazcv

« Reply #18518 on: October 22, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
I see. Well, going by the list you wrote, my first thought would be to add Wolfenstein The Old Blood, it's pretty good, like a condensed TNO with some extra mysticism. And it'll probably get a good discount on Halloween's week. Another one that's a huge game for me that is underrated is HITMAN 2016. Don't know if you like the franchise already but this game is pretty damn good. I think the intro and first level are free on steam? Maybe they changed, I don't know. It has 6 "areas" that are the levels plus a few special ones that alters the area a bit. The ways you can complete the levels are insane and learning tricks and how the logic of things work feels good, it really is the main draw I'd say. I mean, they are two very mainstream games but were the two I have on my mind now.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18519 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:17 AM »

new game from the makers of spacechem. looks super cool.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18520 on: October 22, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
I see. Well, going by the list you wrote, my first thought would be to add Wolfenstein The Old Blood, it's pretty good, like a condensed TNO with some extra mysticism. And it'll probably get a good discount on Halloween's week. Another one that's a huge game for me that is underrated is HITMAN 2016. Don't know if you like the franchise already but this game is pretty damn good. I think the intro and first level are free on steam? Maybe they changed, I don't know. It has 6 "areas" that are the levels plus a few special ones that alters the area a bit. The ways you can complete the levels are insane and learning tricks and how the logic of things work feels good, it really is the main draw I'd say. I mean, they are two very mainstream games but were the two I have on my mind now.

Thanks man, I've played a bit of TOB, but I probably won't get to it before Wolfenstein 2. HITMAN is a wonderful game, I've played through it on PS4 ( which I've sold recently ) and was thinking about getting it for PC. I'll keep an eye on the price :). I looked and it doesnt seem the intro is free on Steam, but I can buy the complete pack from cdkeys for about 15.

And Tiesto thx I'll look into Xanadu Next as well :D
What

davepoobond

« Reply #18521 on: October 22, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
anyone play Hand of Fate?  started playing Hand of Fate 2, they did a lot of interesting changes.  combat is definitely way more dynamic, still a bit simple though and clunky.

the biggest change is that you can change your appearance and be male/female instead of just being the one dude.  but some of them are crosseyed with big mouths and look like idiots as a result
dpb

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18522 on: October 22, 2017, 01:09:05 PM »
Is there anyone here interested in monster hunter world? Seeing no threads on it here, would be sad if theres no mh community from gaf here.

festwill pls

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18523 on: October 22, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
anyone play Hand of Fate?  started playing Hand of Fate 2, they did a lot of interesting changes.  combat is definitely way more dynamic, still a bit simple though and clunky.

the biggest change is that you can change your appearance and be male/female instead of just being the one dude.  but some of them are crosseyed with big mouths and look like idiots as a result

I loved Hand of Fate and didnt know a sequel was out! Thanks man
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18524 on: October 22, 2017, 01:20:20 PM »

new game from the makers of spacechem. looks super cool.
Man, I haven't even looked at Infinifacory or Shenzhen I/O yet and he's already made another game that's gonna make me feel like an idiot. :'(

---

Huh, AMD adware'd the Bethesda launcher into their latest drivers. Is this because of Evil Within 2?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 01:38:55 PM by Rufus »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #18525 on: October 22, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
taste the impotence

pcp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18526 on: October 22, 2017, 02:15:43 PM »

QC gonna do better once it goes f2p imo. It's already super solid they're just trying to get the rough edges down.

Wouldn't hold my breathe for Quake SP though. Community already split about which era they prefer (the classic goth vibe shit of q1, or the mechagoth shit of q2) and I don't really see a market for either right now. Especially with the kinda money Bethesda would probably have to pour into it in this climate.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18527 on: October 22, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
taste the impotence

(Image removed from quote.)
EA sits on a throne of skulls, true, but this is pure cringe. :doge
When did the 'news' he certainly still writes soak into the comic?

Rich!

« Reply #18528 on: October 22, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
Much interest here in retro games? I might start up a general retro thread, share some guides on how to get the best out of your consoles and shit like that, emulation too.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18529 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
Sure, go nuts. We've got some retro fans here. Most people here would rather run ZSNES instead though.
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18530 on: October 22, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
I've been getting into retro gaming and retro game collection recently [OG Xbox, Sega Saturn, some Genesis games, and few other random stuff]. Start up a thread if you want and we'll see where it goes.

Also, we have an emulation thread, it just hasn't been active recently:

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42040.0
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18531 on: October 22, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
I've got a sizeable retro getup as well -> Google Doc
fat

Rich!

« Reply #18532 on: October 22, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
Sure, go nuts. We've got some retro fans here. Most people here would rather run ZSNES instead though.

ZSNES?  :trigger

Stopped using that back when I was working on Zelda: Parallel Worlds.

But yeah awesome, I'll knock something out tomorrow after work maybe

Rich!

« Reply #18533 on: October 22, 2017, 02:56:00 PM »
I've got a sizeable retro getup as well -> Google Doc

Damn, that's impressive. I have more hardware than anything else, spent a lot of time getting everything up to RGB standard and modding stuff myself. Even built an RGB input for a PVM I have which saved me a good few hundred quid on an input card.

Edit: double post, meant to edit...trying to post this stuff on a mobile phone is a goddamn challenge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18534 on: October 22, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
Do you know how to softmod OG Xbox? Been looking for a 2017 tard-proof method, I've got 3 of them in my closet.
fat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #18535 on: October 22, 2017, 03:07:30 PM »
Man, I haven't even looked at Infinifacory or Shenzhen I/O yet and he's already made another game that's gonna make me feel like an idiot. :'(

i wasnt too interested in infinifactory because i dont really want to be walking around in a first person puzzler spawning things (altho it's frequently cited as their best game) and shenzhen was a little too close to straight up programming, which I'm also not that interested in. Spacechem is the same kind of programming stuff obviously, but it's hidden behind some fun abstraction. This new one looks even better because it's (seemingly) not constrained by fixed input/output locations and board size, and the abstraction is even better than spacechem. which is important for lore reasons, probably.

Rich!

« Reply #18536 on: October 22, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
Do you know how to softmod OG Xbox? Been looking for a 2017 tard-proof method, I've got 3 of them in my closet.

Yeah, I have one kicking around somewhere with a 160gb HDD. It was ages ago but fairly simple - I used a copy of splinter cell: chaos theory and a USB adapter with a hacked save on it. Booted it up to put the console into soft boot mode, then while it was running, hot swapped the HDD with a new one and installed the custom dash on that via LAN. I don't really have a guide to hand but you can buy kits with the game and adapter on eBay, and ide hard drives are cheap as shit now

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18537 on: October 22, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
Much interest here in retro games? I might start up a general retro thread, share some guides on how to get the best out of your consoles and shit like that, emulation too.

considering i just preordered the Super NT, I'm def interested in the scene.
nat

Rich!

« Reply #18538 on: October 22, 2017, 03:20:12 PM »

considering i just preordered the Super NT, I'm def interested in the scene.

Sweet. I pre-ordered one a few days back. I already have an RGB SNES Jr/OSSC setup but the NT has loads of potential if it's cracked. And the fact that an FPGA SNES is even possible already is mind-blowing.

My SFC Jr has a great image but still suffers from a slight blur that all SNES consoles have an issue with. I could have fixed it by lifting a tiny pin off the PPU and adding a resistor but that was just too sketchy to attempt.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18539 on: October 22, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »

i wasnt too interested in infinifactory because i dont really want to be walking around in a first person puzzler spawning things (altho it's frequently cited as their best game) and shenzhen was a little too close to straight up programming, which I'm also not that interested in. Spacechem is the same kind of programming stuff obviously, but it's hidden behind some fun abstraction. This new one looks even better because it's (seemingly) not constrained by fixed input/output locations and board size, and the abstraction is even better than spacechem. which is important for lore reasons, probably.
Good point. Meeting the increasingly stringent requirements is what wore me out on Spacechem, since I wasn't patient enough to adapt my solutions or solve the problems in a forward looking way and efficient way. Definitely looks like Opus Magnum be more accessible in that regard, though who knows what other devilish hurdles they'll put up instead.