Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1082810 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #5040 on: April 02, 2020, 06:46:15 AM »
Don't worry Jared just ordered another truckload of plus size body bags for Kentucky

#30DAYSTODIE
🤴

Fifstar

« Reply #5041 on: April 02, 2020, 07:52:05 AM »
Mortality rates are going to be somewhat useless because there is gonna be some drastic regional differences.
Some of the poorer regions of the world might end up with rates significantly lower than say the US. Provided they also have a lower rate of obesity alongside the younger population. Smoking could screw that up though.

Mortality rate seems to mainly depend on percentage of old/already sick people infected & the load of the regional health care system. Country wide cfr data isn't really all that useful. Got to segment everything, if the data quality allows it.
Gulp

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5042 on: April 02, 2020, 08:36:51 AM »

:preach :preach :preach

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5043 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:19 AM »
Wait a minute....were the Spanish Flu and 2009 Bird Flu the same virus?
Not every virus is related, you racist bitch.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #5044 on: April 02, 2020, 09:12:29 AM »

Some feelgood music for these times.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5045 on: April 02, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »
6.6 million jobless claims this week [3.1 million were expected].

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/weekly-jobless-claims.html
dog

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5046 on: April 02, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »
6.6 million jobless claims this week [3.1 million were expected].

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/weekly-jobless-claims.html

It's as if businesses are taking the piss and getting rid of more staff so management can keep higher wages.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5048 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:15 AM »
Teach the controversy.
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5049 on: April 02, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
:confused

I literally searched for this a couple times over the past few days and every source seems to say we don't yet know if asymptomatic people can spread it, or they likely don't, or if they do the risk is very low

Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5050 on: April 02, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
We always were at war with Corona :

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-04-02/14-people-who-died-fighting-COVID-19-labeled-martyrs-PmGZKV8ll6/index.html

Among the officially recognized martyrs is Li Wenliang.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5051 on: April 02, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »

I literally searched for this a couple times over the past few days and every source seems to say we don't yet know if asymptomatic people can spread it, or they likely don't, or if they do the risk is very low

(Image removed from quote.)

My impression is that, in doubt, best to assume they are. It's become common wisdom in the past weeks, pending new info.
It seems that at this very moment there's still uncertainties on that, on how "airborne" it is, if people who get it are immune or not...
ὕβρις

Tripon

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5053 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
Though that Google response doesn't say that asymptomatic carriers are not infectious, just that in absence of coughing they're much less likely to spray you with the mentioned droplets.

Considering the recent stories about the choir group or the 40+ Spring Breakers out of 70 who tested positive after a trio in Mexico, it would seem not unlikely that close proximity might be enough even without coughing.
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5054 on: April 02, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
primarily I wanna cut the governor a little slack, I don't think it's common knowledge that asymptomatic carriers are a bigger threat than once thought, I think it's a developing story
Uncle

bluemax

« Reply #5055 on: April 02, 2020, 11:30:38 AM »
Macron says the lockdown rules will be eased for autistic persons so that they can, with their helpers, go out more and to places they're familiar with.

I think it has bubbled up everywhere through anecdotal accounts that stay at home can be very difficult for some disabled people and their families, on top of cutting them of facilities that can provide adequate care. It's good that it has been finally addressed somewhat.

My sister's son has a sensory processing disorder and it has been a struggle for him. They managed to set up video calls with his babysitter to help him see someone he was used to seeing and provide a sense of normalcy.
NO

« Reply #5056 on: April 02, 2020, 11:36:09 AM »
primarily I wanna cut the governor a little slack, I don't think it's common knowledge that asymptomatic carriers are a bigger threat than once thought, I think it's a developing story

Fuck that, it's either willful negligence or stupidity. The information has been out there, he's just refusing to listen and I'd love to know what the real reason for it is.

STOP NORMALIZING BAD BEHAVIOR.
野球

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5057 on: April 02, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »

It's somehow been common knowledge in Washington for weeks that it's a possibility; it's one of the main justifications for the quarantine / social distancing in the first place.

American conservative leaders do not need to be "cut a little slack."

Fuck that, it's either willful negligence or stupidity. The information has been out there, he's just refusing to listen and I'd love to know what the real reason for it is.

STOP NORMALIZING BAD BEHAVIOR.

I think this is what he was talking about, the data we "didn't know until the last 24 hours"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/health/coronavirus-asymptomatic-transmission.html

The C.D.C. director says new data about people who are infected but symptom-free could lead the agency to recommend broadened use of masks.
Uncle

Tripon

« Reply #5058 on: April 02, 2020, 11:53:58 AM »
The national CDC office for the United States is in Georgia, where Kemp is the governor, BTW.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5059 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:56 AM »
The experts today: "The growth is less than you would expect"

Me: "This curve ain't flattening bois  :thinking"

🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5060 on: April 02, 2020, 12:01:02 PM »
The CDC themselves, based in.. Atlanta, GA, has been saying for around a month that asymptomatic spread can happen.

difference between "it can happen" and "literally new data from the CDC in the past 24 hours that it's a worse issue than thought previously" which I linked above

which is what I said:

I don't think it's common knowledge that asymptomatic carriers are a bigger threat than once thought, I think it's a developing story

a bigger threat than once thought

I think it's a developing story
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:05:06 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5061 on: April 02, 2020, 12:09:56 PM »
The good news is that in Italy and Spain, hopefully France soon, hospitalizations and ICU entries are trending down. The bad news is that deaths are now stable but will take time to decrease. And the tally will probably be incremented by outbreaks in elder homes (a worrying number confirmed in Sweden, France, Italy, Spain, US...).
ὕβρις

Tripon

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5063 on: April 02, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »
The CDC themselves, based in.. Atlanta, GA, has been saying for around a month that asymptomatic spread can happen.

difference between "it can happen" and "literally new data from the CDC in the past 24 hours that it's a worse issue than thought previously" which I linked above

which is what I said:

We aren't talking about what YOU said.  We are talking about your weird defending of what the governor of Georgia said:

ndividuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours.”

Patently false;   CDC has said it's a factor as early as March 1st, and actually first started talking about how it might be a bigger factor than they thought in Mid-March.

not defending the guy, I'm cutting him a little slack

not even a LOT of slack

there's a lot of information out there, and like I said I was searching for it myself earlier, and most of what I turned up downplayed asymptomatic carriers, which you can still find on the CDC's website currently:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/faq.html

In fact, this current page that mentions asymptomatic transmission?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Some recent studies have suggested that COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

That bullet point wasn't there at all just a couple days ago

I think the governors statement is understandable, especially if it turns out the 24 hours he's referencing are in regard to the new statements made by the CDC within 24 hours of his statement
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5064 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
regarding issuing a statewide stay at home order he should've done that two weeks ago like the more proactive states lol

evidence of asymptomatic transmission or no

I'm only talking about his mention of 24 hours

south dakota is the only fucked up state remaining though there are still many others without orders as strict as they ought to be
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #5065 on: April 02, 2020, 12:54:38 PM »
Filler news update
Last Thursday, dozens of people gathered in small groups in a Lakewood neighborhood and stood witness as a couple was to be married in a traditional Orthodox Jewish ceremony.

In very unorthodox fashion, the guests watched from three adjacent backyards on Wayne Street in an attempt to limit the number of people in any one yard. But before it was over, police showed up and broke up the festivities, issuing a criminal complaint to the host, 39-year-old William Katzenstein, for failing to abide by the governor’s ban on such gatherings amid the growing coronavirus pandemic that continues to spread unabated across the state.

On Sunday, Eliezer Silber, 37, and his wife Miriam Silber, 34, decided to go ahead with a planned Bat Mitzvah in Lakewood. Between 40 and 50 people showed up to celebrate before police again arrived to shut it down, Eliezer and Miriam Silber were both charged.

On Monday morning, as the state was in the second week on lockdown, Lakewood police broke up a group of 35 men gathered at a yeshiva on Madison Avenue. Then Tuesday night, authorities in town ended an engagement party with at least 16 people in attendance and charged 10, including a 99-year-old man.

Lakewood’s 450 confirmed coronavirus cases as of Wednesday are the most of any town in Ocean County, which has 1,256 total cases, according to the Ocean County Health Department.

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/04/heres-why-large-gatherings-keep-happening-in-lakewood-as-the-coronavirus-rages-in-nj.html

:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5066 on: April 02, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
The most recent findings seem to be that surface infection is extremely rare.
The virus is carried by droplets from coughing and sneezing.

With other words if you have the virus someone coughed their shit right into you  :-X

So 2/3 feet ain't doing shit to deal with projectile sneezers. We should distance 20 feet.
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5067 on: April 02, 2020, 01:03:48 PM »
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5068 on: April 02, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »
A Republican has called for the head of the WHO to resign on Fox News:
“I’ve never trusted a communist. And their cover-up of this virus that originated with them, has caused unnecessary deaths around America and around the world,” McSally said. “The WHO needs to stop covering for them. I think Dr. Tedros needs to step down. We need to take some action to address this issue. It’s just irresponsible, it’s unconscionable what they have done here while we have people dying across the globe.”
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5069 on: April 02, 2020, 01:04:14 PM »
Got furloughed

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5070 on: April 02, 2020, 01:28:03 PM »
We aren't talking about what YOU said.

Everything you've posted, from your very first post on this topic on

You are moving the goal posts

your entire rationale is a goal post move

are you or aren't you talking about what I said?

I'll tell you: you're talking about what I said because shifting to an argument about goalposts is easier than actually engaging with the point

you want to get into a back and forth of "you moved the goalposts" "no I didn't" "yes you did" because it means you don't have to address links directly from the CDC, or provide any sources that could refute it

regardless, my arguments haven't changed since my first post, it's always been about how quickly updated information is being disseminated, and whether new data has come to light within 24 hours of the governor's comment (it has)

I never said any of his decisions have been good and correct, or that he wasn't a moron

from the beginning I was talking about the interpretation of his comment that new info has surfaced

quote the post where I said he was a good governor

this is the difference between cutting some slack on a particular comment and outright defense of their decisions

Don't you think he should know more than you do?

I do think he should know more than I do, hell the CDC is located in his state

he should have information directly from them

which to this day still says any reports of asymptomatic transmission are unconfirmed and they don't even know what role it might play in infectiousness
Uncle

« Reply #5071 on: April 02, 2020, 01:29:57 PM »
I don't understand why you're defending this guy, Uncle.

Yet again, I'm very glad I live in the great state of Washington and not some hell hole that clearly doesn't give a shit about the well being of it's citizens.
野球

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5072 on: April 02, 2020, 01:30:25 PM »
no, stop explaining
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5073 on: April 02, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
I don't understand why you're defending this guy, Uncle.

I'm not

I'm interpreting his comment about 24 hours in a sensible way

I suppose there's nothing wrong with believing it's a coincidence that new information on asymptomatic transmission came out at the exact same time he decided to make up a lie about finding out about it

:trumps
Uncle

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5074 on: April 02, 2020, 01:36:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/carmenbest/status/1244826125328474113

the great state of washington where they focus on the important things during this time of crisis :teehee

« Reply #5075 on: April 02, 2020, 01:36:57 PM »
The governor of Georgia apparently needs an "interpreter" so that his statements are actually not factually incorrect, but meant something totally different.

Many of those Southern States are either run by complete idiots who don't understand how to read legitimate news sources or they're so beholden to the party line and maintaining power that they're willing to sacrifice their people. Or both, cause frankly at this point they've shown a complete lack of concern for human life that doesn't directly benefit them. Defend it all you want, but you're no better than them at this point. They're the first to spin this as a "BUBUBU CHINA!!" and then you realize they're behaving just like a lot of Chinese officials. Stop normalizing bad behavior.
野球

shosta

« Reply #5076 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:21 PM »
Riotous... your tits, calm them you must
每天生气

« Reply #5077 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/carmenbest/status/1244826125328474113

the great state of washington where they focus on the important things during this time of crisis :teehee

Whatever you gotta do to feel better about yourself. Enjoy your laughing emojis.
野球

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5078 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
they are pretty enjoyable. sorry you can't appreciate the slightest possible ribbing :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5079 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:21 PM »
Yeah, "at least" 884 deaths in French long care homes have been identified. 471 more people died in French hospitals today. People entering hospitals and ICUs down too.

ὕβρις

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #5080 on: April 02, 2020, 01:41:29 PM »
Even when he’s right, :reeeee tous has to get the last word. Shut the fuck up and post hog magnum dong  :bolo
Margs

« Reply #5081 on: April 02, 2020, 01:41:58 PM »
they are pretty enjoyable. sorry you can't appreciate the slightest possible ribbing :lol

Oh I can, I just don't particularly find it productive. Do what you gotta do.
野球

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5082 on: April 02, 2020, 01:42:37 PM »
sir, this is a forum. not sure what you are expecting in the realm of productivity.

james

« Reply #5083 on: April 02, 2020, 01:43:03 PM »
It's time to lobotomize Republicans. There's no other solution

« Reply #5084 on: April 02, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »

Fuck that, you can't publicly shame them if they're unable to coherently function.

Don't follow social distancing? Public shaming.
Act like it's a not big deal and then put an unnecessary strain on the system? Forfeit your right to a hospital bed and/or ventilator.
People should die for the good of the economy? You first.

I don't really feel like making excuses for people and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Especially those in positions of power and authority who have influence over others.
野球

shosta

« Reply #5085 on: April 02, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
I feel bad for those people off the coast of Florida. Just give them medical care.
每天生气

james

« Reply #5086 on: April 02, 2020, 01:49:12 PM »

Fuck that, you can't publicly shame them if they're unable to coherently function.

Don't follow social distancing? Public shaming.
Act like it's a not big deal and then put an unnecessary strain on the system? Forfeit your right to a hospital bed and/or ventilator.
People should die for the good of the economy? You first.

I don't really feel like making excuses for people and giving them the benefit of the doubt. Especially those in positions of power and authority who have influence over others.

No history has shown that they have no shame. Time and time again they will double down. They are mentally incapable of being wrong. Their brains are fundamentally broken.

« Reply #5087 on: April 02, 2020, 01:51:30 PM »
I feel bad for those people off the coast of Florida. Just give them medical care.

It shouldn't shock me but it still does that they said they'd take the Floridians but the rest of the poor people on the boat can just fuck off. That's some good Christian behavior.
野球

shosta

« Reply #5088 on: April 02, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
history has shown that they have no shame
the irony of this post!
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #5089 on: April 02, 2020, 01:54:07 PM »
It shouldn't shock me but it still does that they said they'd take the Floridians but the rest of the poor people on the boat can just fuck off. That's some good Christian behavior.
Honestly, if we're going to start ranking people's lives based on where they came from, I sincerely doubt anyone from Florida is going to rank high on that list
每天生气

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5090 on: April 02, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »
if having no shame is the baseline to get a lobotomy a lot of us here are in trouble

Tripon

« Reply #5091 on: April 02, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5092 on: April 02, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
The CDC actually started being more serious about asymptomatic people in their statements over 2 weeks ago dude; despite what their web site claims.

here's an article from March 15 where the CIDRAP director has to contradict what the CDC was saying at the time

“We now know that asymptomatic transmission likely [plays] an important role in spreading this virus," Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN, adding that it is “absolutely clear” that asymptomatic infection “can fuel a pandemic like this in a way that's going to make it very difficult to control".

Previously, it was understood that, although asymptomatic spread of the disease was possible, it was not thought to be “the main way the virus spreads,” according to the CDC.

However, it has since become clear that the risks associated with the spread of coronavirus by individuals who are asymptomatic are higher than originally thought, according to Osterholm.

“At the very beginning of the outbreak, we had many questions about how transmission of this virus occurred,” he told CNN. “And unfortunately, we saw a number of people taking very firm stances about it was happening this way or it wasn't happening this way. And as we have continued to learn how transmission occurs with this outbreak, it is clear that many of those early statements were not correct.”

The latest information regarding the spread of the virus may also contradict the CDC’s belief that people are “thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).”

here's another one from March 14

New studies in several countries and a large coronavirus outbreak in Massachusetts bring into question reassuring assertions by US officials about the way the novel virus spreads.

[...]

For weeks, federal officials have emphasized that asymptomatic transmission can happen, but have said that it's not a significant factor in the spread of the virus.

On March 1 on ABC's This Week, US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar told host George Stephanopoulos that asymptomatic spread is "not the major driver" of the spread of the new coronavirus.

"You really need to just focus on the individuals that are symptomatic," he said. "It [the containment strategy] really does depend on symptomatic presentation."

The website for the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention echoes that assessment.

"Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads," according to the website.

Spokespeople for Azar and the CDC did not respond to requests for comment from CNN.

y'know, again, providing links and documentation that riotous does not
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5093 on: April 02, 2020, 02:07:00 PM »
"911 what is your medical emergency"

"I think I just witnessed a hate crime"

"Where are you sir"

"In the digital realm"

"At the medical what sir?"

"Uncle and riotous are having a go at it, I'm scared"

"Your uncle and the riot police sir?"
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #5094 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:20 PM »
Canada really isn't doing so well other than BC, which is testing more per capita than South Korea. 

Tasty

« Reply #5095 on: April 02, 2020, 02:34:08 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5096 on: April 02, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
riotous I love you like a brother
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #5097 on: April 02, 2020, 02:40:44 PM »
just stay at least six feet away from me
Uncle

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #5098 on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
Riotous, I love you like a step brother and our parents aren’t home :uguu

« Reply #5099 on: April 02, 2020, 02:42:38 PM »
Riotous, you're my bro. Keep fighting the good fight.
野球