Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread  (Read 4212358 times)

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
Re: Movie News, Reviews, and Discussion Super-Thread
« Reply #35220 on: September 18, 2019, 10:36:29 PM »
The Seventh Continent

:crazy

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35222 on: September 19, 2019, 03:07:14 AM »
The Seventh Continent

One of my favorite movies.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35223 on: September 19, 2019, 05:06:56 PM »
The Seventh Continent

I like this bit in the wikipedia article. Very #LateStageCapitalism

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Michael Haneke said that the film is based on a news article[2] he read about a family who committed suicide in this manner; police discovered that their money was flushed because bits of currency were found in the plumbing. Haneke claims to have correctly predicted to the producer that audiences would be upset with that scene, and remarked that in today's society the idea of destroying money is more taboo than parents killing their child and themselves[3].
[close]

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #35224 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
John Wick: Chapter 3 -

"Winston! Winston! I need more firepower." *Charon proceeds to walk in and grab a shotgun with no lines*

I think this is what 2 should've been. Had the contact quickly done, all hell breaks loose. But then we wouldn't have had Hallie and the dogs for a combat scene. :thinking

I do like that Fishburne is setting up for Chapter 4.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35225 on: September 19, 2019, 08:41:33 PM »
Who'd hyped for Ad Astra?  :heartbeat
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35226 on: September 19, 2019, 08:57:48 PM »
shucky 2019 is more scifi, like babbies first terminator

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35227 on: September 19, 2019, 09:08:53 PM »
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35228 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Re-watching Jurrasic World.  Honestly, I like where they took the franchise; where they are acknowledging that the whole franchise is based on bad science.  In fact, the whole franchise can be seen as a really well thought out meta commentary on bad science - even if I don't think was in the writer's minds for 3 through fallen kingdom. 

Also its basically a really good Godzilla movie, where T-rex is Godzilla. 

Bebpo

« Reply #35229 on: September 20, 2019, 12:25:55 AM »
Who'd hyped for Ad Astra?  :heartbeat

I want to see it at some point. I liked Lost City of Z even if it wasn't amazing and I'm always up for anything Brad and anything Sci-fi.

Looking forward to your review!

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35230 on: September 20, 2019, 01:28:06 AM »
Ad Astra. Daddy issues the movie.
There aren't really any plot points or spoilers in the spoiler tag, but I put it there anyway cause the movie is just released.

I liked it though actually. Some metaphors really bludgeon you over the head way too hard. Eye rolling territory. And some of the narration is a little clunky at times. Though I liked having the narration.

To me the main 3 themes are abandonment, loneliness, living up to expectations.

Beautiful movie visually.
[close]

Actual spoilers where I expand on those 3 themes. copy and past to what I wrote my friends after coming home and collecting my thoughts.

Abandonment, loneliness, living up to expectations. These to me were the 3 main themes.

Our main character (and I'll name him Brad cause I don't remember what his first name was in the movie) has never reconciled with his father's abandonment. It was on his mind before the movie and it's on his mind during the movie. It has messed with him for who knows how long. I don't know if he is looking to forgive his father or simply find closure, but it is a huge driving force why he decides to go completely against orders and try to hijack the mission to Neptune (in his mind simply joining it.

Now along with the abandonment we get the loneliness theme. I think it's pretty easy . but the amount of time spent in space is representative of the loneliness (hey a metaphor that isn't bludgeoning you over the head and it segues seamlessly in the movie). I love that *friend's name redacted* brought up that we never stick around with anybody too long. Brad either kills said person or leaves them behind. This goes directly with the abandonment issues and loneliness. He is afraid of letting people in too close. He says this directly to the computer that checks his status. So we never do get to stick around too long with any other character, because Brad himself refuses to let things get to that point. Sure he himself claims that his job isn't great for involving many people into his life, but he secretly wishes for that. Again, he tells the computer he is afraid that he doesn't allow for people to get close to him. In the movie this always plays out quite literally. Because of his lifestyle we don't get to become close to any other character.

And he says something about the sins of the father being passed on to the son. Well look at Brad and look at Tommy Lee. My oh my. Maybe on the inside they might be different people (they are very much so), but on the outside things play out very similarly with them. Both killing people they didn't wish to kill, but in their minds were necessary to kill. Both of them alone for a very long time. In ways the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Finally the last theme is living up to expectations. For Brad this tags along with the abandonment theme because everything about those expectations has to do with his father. He didn't become an astronaut just because. No, he saw his dad was the man and felt he should follow in his footsteps. He wanted to impress his father desperately. To work with his old man later on. He pushes himself and is pretty much as skilled as his old man presumably is or was. And all of this because he thought this would make his old man proud. And he feels those expectations placed onto him since he chose a similar path. Constantly other characters don't go "oh Mr. Brad bla bla blah." They always go "Mr. Brad the son of Tommy Lee." He forever has to live up to those expectations since he is in the same field. It doesn't even matter if he thinks it. Everyone else brings it up to him more or less.

All these things bear down on Brad. It isn't until the end where he is finally able to let go. After hearing his fathers words in the ship up in Neptune? After his father abandoned him again? Either way it was that last encounter that seemed to break him free from those themes. He was finally able to move on.

Those are my thoughts on the main 3 themes.

Now that I am no longer super serious. Can I just say one more time man I'm happy that shitty pilot got killed after almost fucking up the landing, refusing to go check out that mayday call ship and finally nearly shooting his own ship into shit. What a shit heel. Well played though. Very unlikable in a good way.
[close]

Oh yeah, and cool soundtrack. I should see who it was.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 01:48:36 AM by EchoRin »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #35231 on: September 20, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »
There aren't really any plot points or spoilers in the spoiler tag, but I put it there anyway cause the movie is just released.

I liked it though actually. Some metaphors really bludgeon you over the head way too hard. Eye rolling territory. And some of the narration is a little clunky at times. Though I liked having the narration.

[close]

Actual spoilers where I expand on those 3 themes. copy and past to what I wrote my friends after coming home and collecting my thoughts.

Abandonment, loneliness, living up to expectations. These to me were the 3 main themes.

Our main character (and I'll name him Brad cause I don't remember what his first name was in the movie) has never reconciled with his father's abandonment. It was on his mind before the movie and it's on his mind during the movie. It has messed with him for who knows how long. I don't know if he is looking to forgive his father or simply find closure, but it is a huge driving force why he decides to go completely against orders and try to hijack the mission to Neptune (in his mind simply joining it.

Now along with the abandonment we get the loneliness theme. I think it's pretty easy . but the amount of time spent in space is representative of the loneliness (hey a metaphor that isn't bludgeoning you over the head and it segues seamlessly in the movie). I love that *friend's name redacted* brought up that we never stick around with anybody too long. Brad either kills said person or leaves them behind. This goes directly with the abandonment issues and loneliness. He is afraid of letting people in too close. He says this directly to the computer that checks his status. So we never do get to stick around too long with any other character, because Brad himself refuses to let things get to that point. Sure he himself claims that his job isn't great for involving many people into his life, but he secretly wishes for that. Again, he tells the computer he is afraid that he doesn't allow for people to get close to him. In the movie this always plays out quite literally. Because of his lifestyle we don't get to become close to any other character.

And he says something about the sins of the father being passed on to the son. Well look at Brad and look at Tommy Lee. My oh my. Maybe on the inside they might be different people (they are very much so), but on the outside things play out very similarly with them. Both killing people they didn't wish to kill, but in their minds were necessary to kill. Both of them alone for a very long time. In ways the apple does not fall far from the tree.

Finally the last theme is living up to expectations. For Brad this tags along with the abandonment theme because everything about those expectations has to do with his father. He didn't become an astronaut just because. No, he saw his dad was the man and felt he should follow in his footsteps. He wanted to impress his father desperately. To work with his old man later on. He pushes himself and is pretty much as skilled as his old man presumably is or was. And all of this because he thought this would make his old man proud. And he feels those expectations placed onto him since he chose a similar path. Constantly other characters don't go "oh Mr. Brad bla bla blah." They always go "Mr. Brad the son of Tommy Lee." He forever has to live up to those expectations since he is in the same field. It doesn't even matter if he thinks it. Everyone else brings it up to him more or less.

All these things bear down on Brad. It isn't until the end where he is finally able to let go. After hearing his fathers words in the ship up in Neptune? After his father abandoned him again? Either way it was that last encounter that seemed to break him free from those themes. He was finally able to move on.

Now that I am no longer super serious. Can I just say one more time man I'm happy that shitty pilot got killed after almost fucking up the landing, refusing to go check out that mayday call ship and finally nearly shooting his own ship into shit. What a shit heel. Well played though. Very unlikable in a good way.
[close]

I just need to know whether it will give me an existential crisis like Gravity/Interstellar.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35232 on: September 20, 2019, 12:23:42 PM »

[close]

[close]

I just need to know whether it will give me an existential crisis like Gravity/Interstellar.

Unlikely. I didn't see it in IMAX, but I would wholeheartedly recommend it if you have the option.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35233 on: September 20, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35234 on: September 20, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
Interesting reception for Ad Astra.
The trailer made it look kind of cretin.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #35235 on: September 20, 2019, 02:42:41 PM »
The reviews have made me real lukewarm to Ad Astra. Seems like (thematically) it's just a retread of half a dozen movies that have come out in the 15 years.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35236 on: September 20, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »
Spiderman Far From Home was incredibly bad for me.
I haven't watched anything in the MCU since GotG 1, so basically none of them, but i did watch Homecoming (which was pretty good) as well as Spiderverse (which was great).

Nonsense plot, boring characters, boring action, shit humor.
Just had a miserable time with it, i hope the Sony split will mean they'll stop with this MCU bullshit at least.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #35237 on: September 20, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35238 on: September 20, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »
You know if they didn't show a flash back not a single person would have remembered that hologram shit from Civil War

I felt the flashback was unnecessary because I knew what they were talking about.  I am not alone.  We will shit on your face. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35239 on: September 20, 2019, 05:00:59 PM »
Nah guy, I got a colostomy so I wouldn't miss a thing. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35240 on: September 21, 2019, 12:08:18 AM »
Hobbs and Shaw was really dumb.  I mean I liked it, but it wasn't really a F&F movie.  It was basically the Rock the Movie, which is saying something because every Rock movie is the Rock the Movie. 

Bebpo

« Reply #35241 on: September 21, 2019, 12:47:40 AM »
Hobbs and Shaw was really dumb.  I mean I liked it, but it wasn't really a F&F movie.  It was basically the Rock the Movie, which is saying something because every Rock movie is the Rock the Movie.

:'(

Coax

« Reply #35242 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »

Ironically I think the short composite tests during the credits are the best parts.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35243 on: September 21, 2019, 10:04:44 AM »
Saw Ad Astra and I liked it a lot though it gets maybe just a few minutes too long in the tooth* and there's a couple of unneeded touches about the pretty transparent central theme (EchoRin mentioned a couple of lines who are wholly unnecessary) all the more so if you've seen The Lost City of Z. I didn't see any of the recent movies the trailer made me think of (The Martian, Gravity, Interstellar...) so I don't know how original it is but I was surprised by the direction taken by the near future / anticipation setting. I expected something a lot more dignified and bombastic but it's a bit like the British Airways 2001 sequence updated for the modern age : we have started colonizing space and made it immediately miserable. The world building is very allusive and in the background, maybe even peripheral to the core of the story but a lot of the moment to moment narration ties back more to it than the main thread. We're not too far from an adventure on the high seas (or a crime story) and it helps the film keeping the excitement up while being mostly introspective and contemplative. It's never cretin, to answer to one concern, though there's an always an element of absurdity to inserting some classic movie bits in the plot. It always serves it rather than just by the numbers in my opinion, the zero G induced clumsiness keeps things suitably down to earth and low key.

The rover car chase is pretty rad tho.
[close]

Stunningly beautiful film, by the way. I know it's a bit of a tired compliment but it genuinely looks and feels close to it's 70's influences without being too performative about it (there's a part at the two thirds who leans really hard on that sort of set design) or forced. It has a good score too, as expected. As always with Gray, it's tasteful, subdued and modest.

TLDR : Looks like an Expanse prequel.
[close]

I would perhaps have stopped the film after Pitt's ship leave Venus and disappear to the stars on his way back to Earth instead of that sequence with Liv Tyler.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:46:41 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35244 on: September 21, 2019, 11:37:37 AM »
I looked up the Director of Photography and he also did Interstellar, Her, Dunkirk, Let the right one in and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. So yeah.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35245 on: September 21, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »

Ironically I think the short composite tests during the credits are the best parts.

I felt that way too.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35246 on: September 21, 2019, 04:33:14 PM »
Ad Astra was a solid, well-made space flick. Doesn't really try for anything new or ground-breaking, but it's serious about what it's doing and doesn't feel like it's trying to do too much. Great acting from Pitt especially [but also old men Sutherland and Jones], a score that accentuates the action but doesn't overwhelm it, stellar visuals, and a sprinkling of cool action scenes. There were a few minor things that could have handled better, but nothing that would really amount to more than nitpicking.

As far as ending:

It's just a reinforcement of the central theme: what's important are the things we have with us right now and we should appreciate and protect them, not some nebulous thing out there in the universe that may not even exist.
[close]
dog

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #35247 on: September 21, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
The Seventh Continent

One of my favorite movies.

This scene in particular was so depressing to me.

'It tastes bitter."

:stahp

Bebpo

« Reply #35248 on: September 21, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »
I'm down sick so was browsing Netflix in bed and watched an indie horror flick they added called Head Count. It was slow, dumb and bad. Don't watch it.

*edit* ok, here is why it sucks:

Introduce a monster very very slowly built up. When shit goes off have the main guy read a bit online on the monster but not tell anyone aka just feed the audience some background on it, audience then watches monster kill everyone. Movie ends.

To make this movie work, you would need the main guy to learn a little about the monster, inform everyone else and then try to come up with a counter plan/survival plan even if they are all going to lose and die. You need something more to make it work.

Also the slow build setup has the monsters special ability as being able to shape-shift as the different people in the room. Ok, cool, so when it goes off it'll use that and do cool crazy shit with it, right? Nope, when the monster actually attacks it just magically looks at people and causes them to kill themselves aka Bird Box. So they don't even do anything interesting with the shape-shifting.

Just a lame ass little straight to streaming indie flick. Would've been ok as a short in some collection like VHS or XX or something, but as a full feature it sucks.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:32:13 PM by Bebpo »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #35249 on: September 21, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »
Burning was as good as everyone said it would be
每天生气

EightBitNate

« Reply #35250 on: September 21, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
Asking my mom what she thought of Hustlers:

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #35251 on: September 21, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »
And that's notable coming from such an expert in the field. 

EightBitNate

« Reply #35252 on: September 21, 2019, 11:58:54 PM »

She spends her weekends watching Lifetime movies so obviously

Bebpo

« Reply #35253 on: September 22, 2019, 12:31:43 AM »

I think it's great but they could cut an hour of of the first 90 mins and nothing would be lost.

:whew

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35254 on: September 23, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
People are saying Ad Astra is too boring, I say Ad Astra is not boring enough.

All the "action" scenes are ridiculous. The fight against the space pirates, the fight about the space monkeys, and the fight against the space crew that all accidentally space kill themselves while Brad Pitt looks around helplessly. They should have all been replaced by scenes of Brad Pitt eating at Space Applebees and having a space monologue about his space dad.
[close]

Stop trying to cater to normies and just give me a glacially paced space movie that has people standing around talking for four hours, that's all I'm asking for.
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #35255 on: September 23, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
You mean like Life?
每天生气

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35256 on: September 23, 2019, 08:25:28 PM »
People are saying Ad Astra is too boring, I say Ad Astra is not boring enough.

All the "action" scenes are ridiculous. The fight against the space pirates, the fight about the space monkeys, and the fight against the space crew that all accidentally space kill themselves while Brad Pitt looks around helplessly. They should have all been replaced by scenes of Brad Pitt eating at Space Applebees and having a space monologue about his space dad.
[close]

Stop trying to cater to normies and just give me a glacially paced space movie that has people standing around talking for four hours, that's all I'm asking for.

High Life

I hated the movie, but maybe it would fit what you're looking for. Still haven't watched a good movie with Robert Pattinson. Though I've only seen 2. Hoping I finally score one with Lighthouse this year

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35257 on: September 23, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »
I haven't seen Life, but maybe I will now.

High Life is on my too watch list as well.
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #35258 on: September 23, 2019, 08:31:26 PM »
I religiously watch anything with Jake Gyllenhaal in it, even that shitty art movie we complained about a few months ago.
每天生气

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #35259 on: September 23, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »
20% of Ad Astra is Brad Pitt doing the replicant baseline test from 2049, 40% is him monologuing about nothing, and the other 40% is space kino.

If you took out the monologue audio it would be a vastly better film. So much so that I wonder if they were added in post-production
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35260 on: September 23, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »
 :delicious
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #35261 on: September 23, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »
Mark Kermode mentioned in his review that the action scenes were done by a different director, so yeah, it definitely feels like they ruined this film trying to get normies to watch it

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #35262 on: September 23, 2019, 08:47:29 PM »
I religiously watch anything with Jake Gyllenhaal in it, even that shitty art movie we complained about a few months ago.

Loved Nightcrawler but recently watching Enemy and Prisoners made me a fan.

Sarah Gadon in Enemy  :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

Bebpo

« Reply #35263 on: September 23, 2019, 09:25:05 PM »
So wait, should I see Ad Astra or not? You guys are being too fair with both positive and negative comments. Need more hyperbole.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35264 on: September 23, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
Do you enjoy wanking to beautiful looking movies? If so, watch it regardless.

The actual content. Well, you've seen the various arguments in this thread.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35265 on: September 23, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
So wait, should I see Ad Astra or not? You guys are being too fair with both positive and negative comments. Need more hyperbole.

Do you like space movies? If yes, go watch it.
dog

bluemax

« Reply #35266 on: September 23, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
X-Men 12: Dark Phoenix (2019) :

While this wasn't the absolute shit show of terrible that Apocalypse was (imo, up there with the worst comic book movie of all time, one of the worst big budget movies in general that I've ever seen), this was possibly worse in that it was just incredibly boring. At least with Apocalypse you could laugh at how awful it was. This just bored me, almost literally, to sleep, despite watching it at 9AM. I nodded off more than a few times. I suppose it's a combination of a lot of things:

The Dark Phoenix thing has been done in every fucking X-Men adaptation since the early 1990s. Every cartoon, every movie series, every game. It's been done to death.

All the young actors who started in Apocalypse are fucking terrible. The scenes where it was Hoult/McAvoy/Fassbender interacting with each other were good. The scenes with Sansa/Cyclops/Storm/Nightcrawler/even Mystique are fucking terrible. Just awful. You can't have a role like this with a bad actress and expect the movie not to be bad. Even Jessica Chastain, who is traditionally excellent in any role she's in, is cast as as character that doesn't emote in any way and instead of coming off like the weirdo alien the character was, she instead came off as bored and sleepy.

The continuity of this franchise is so utterly fucked and nonsense. Forget that the prequel series erased (some but not all?) the original trilogy continuity even though you only care about these characters because you're familiar with what they become in the first 3 movies that now never happen despite the time travel movie that was only possible with all those events happening exactly the way they happened , didn't the last fucking movie have Jean tap into the Phoenix to kill Apocalypse? Let's not even take into consideration the Deadpool and Wolverine movies which also don't fit into continuity despite trading in X-Men movie continuity. Charles Xavier's character has been completely assassinated in the prequel series into being a self serving, scummy, shady, boozy dickhead who uses the X-Men for his personal gratification to the point of willingly putting them at risk of death so he can get awards from the president and then uses his mind tricks to brainwash the people around him to be on his side. But also feel bad for him when old Patrick Stewart is shitting himself and dying in a different movie.

It feels like the movie at some stage was a horror movie, a sci-fi movie, and a straight action movie, then got cut up and a bunch of shit got changed in post-production. The tone is off and inconsistent the entire movie, at some points it's a full bore Michael Bay knock off, at other points it's serious character drama (attempted, it's hard to be serious character drama with such fine actors as Sophie Turner), other times some wild cosmic thing, other times sad and mopey. It's just a mess, and usually there's some entertainment value in such a mess, but all these pieces were jammed together and sanded down so it's just a dull mess. The music especially is horror music throughout the whole movie, even in the action scenes, and it never fits with any scene.

The action is incredibly dull. 90% of the characters powers are standing (or sitting) and touching their temples or otherwise just putting their hands up and grimacing. The few times there is actual physical action, it also looks like shit due to either janky CGI or awkward wire work in the case of Beast, so it's really a lose-lose situation.

All in all this feels like a movie that was completely changed 2-3 times in post-production and none of the possible versions seem like good movies. #DontReleaseTheKinbergCut

The entire ending was tacked on in post.
NO

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #35267 on: September 24, 2019, 01:21:14 AM »

thats my boi

Occam

« Reply #35268 on: September 24, 2019, 01:42:25 AM »
The Dead Don't Die. Incredibly bad movie. It's almost like it's intentionally awful in every regard. I kept thinking that there had to be some clever twist, which is why I finished watching it the next day after initially turning it off after 45 minutes. There wasn't. I am shocked Bill Murray, Steve Buscemi, Danny Glover etc. were in this. Worst movie I have seen in a long time. 4/10, avoid.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #35269 on: September 24, 2019, 01:48:30 AM »
yea, i knew ad astra would be polarizing mid-way through the film with all the improbable and unnecessary shit but i'm just here to say i fall on the the end of the spectrum that found it to be an extraordinary film

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35270 on: September 24, 2019, 02:47:21 AM »
Mark Kermode mentioned in his review that the action scenes were done by a different director, so yeah, it definitely feels like they ruined this film trying to get normies to watch it

That's... absolutely not what was said ? He mentions second unit directors sometimes being in charge of action scenes and the debate about authorship resulting from that. He doesn't know if that's the case here, he just found the tone jarring as if two movies collided. I don't expect people to be overly familiar with Gray but he already had a slighty off kilter car chase in a film before (one that in spirit is close to what he's doing here), he's not exactly a stranger to complex, operatic, spectacular sequences in general (just watch the opening if the Lost City of Z) and he had a film shelved for over a year because he wouldn't bow to Weinstein requests of editing a new version to his liking. The whole "normie" thing is a pretty shit, lazy take.

I'm honestly not sure I see the same disconnect several people, including Joe Molotov, mentions about those sequences. They absolutely do participate in illustrating that the myth of space exploration is just that, a myth, much like Pitt's character story is that he's fronting constantly and that his father is a lot more than just being "the greatest astronaut ever". That Mankind immediately exported its misery and mediocrity into space (including nationalism, consumerism, war and crime) is an essential part of its meaning and modest final message regarding Pitt's character arc.

It is absolutely one of this director's themes that small vices spiral into greater tragedies and often into awkward, unintended violence and manslaughter. Likewise with having stories (notably mob ones, but it's also true for his romantic drama or early 20th century explorer flick) presented with a muted and mundane tone. That chase scene is obviously both spectacular within the context of that particular film but also inherently toned down by Hollywood standards because of the setting and sound design. You could say... it's subverting expectations.
:mike

In my opinion the film would actually be a lot more "full of itself" or "insufferable" and a lot less unique and distinctive without this. All that being said, I can see why some people would feel the whole film doesn't mesh well even if I don't agree.
:yeshrug
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:12:04 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #35271 on: September 24, 2019, 02:57:18 AM »
fuck that youtube garbage. it's a fucking scifi film that is akin to the myths of the conquistadors who were in the search for something far greater than themselves, e.g. aguirre wrath of gods. the themes aren't even uniquely gray's to begin with although the film is a retread of idea he explored in lost city of z, but much better imo

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #35272 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:59 AM »
I feel that at it's core, the message of the film is that evil space monkeys are bad.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35273 on: September 24, 2019, 06:11:27 AM »
I feel that at it's core, the message of the film is that evil space monkeys are bad.
All monkeys are bad. Period.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35274 on: September 24, 2019, 08:48:53 AM »
I wanted the movie to end with Brad Pitt coming back to Earth to find that it had been taken over by the evil space monkeys.
dog

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #35275 on: September 24, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35276 on: September 24, 2019, 07:06:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/ThePlaylist/status/1176206359072690176

Joe Pesci: "Fuck Shoot, these motherfuckers fella's are messing with us"

Al Pacino: "You are right, those motherfuckers they should show some goddamn respect behave themselves better"

Robert de Niro: "I'm glad, I'm ready to cap that scum drive you guys to where you need to go carbon free"

THE NEUTERED IRISHMAN
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35277 on: September 25, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »
Robocop 2

An overstuffed sequel that doesn't come close to the perfection of the original. Terrible villain, compared to Boddicker and Dick Jones is the original movie. I don't blame Tom Noonan, he was great as Dollarhyde in Manhunter, but he just didn't have much to do. Most of the lines were given to the dumbass kid.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35278 on: September 25, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
Peter Weller body acting is pretty awesome tho. It definitely is overstuffed, poorly structured and defanged a bit despite the film trying to crank up the humor and the self awareness of being a sequel. It's still decent in parts and the Frank Miller input does shine through at points.
ὕβρις

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #35279 on: September 26, 2019, 04:15:00 AM »