Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684402 times)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #2100 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »
!
sup

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2101 on: October 02, 2013, 10:53:30 PM »
can someone please recommend some sort of horror thing to me. maybe sci-fi maybe not. just need something to start october off and also to use my new kindle.
nat

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2102 on: October 02, 2013, 10:59:20 PM »
can someone please recommend some sort of horror thing to me. maybe sci-fi maybe not. just need something to start october off and also to use my new kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Terror-A-Novel-ebook/dp/B000PAAH3A/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380769125&sr=8-1&keywords=the+terror
___

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2103 on: October 02, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »
 :( I've already read The Terror  :(

thanks tho
nat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2104 on: October 02, 2013, 11:07:28 PM »
aaand that led me to Dan Simmons new book, The Abominable.

I think I'll go with that.

edit: OH WAIT fuck, it's not out yet :(
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2105 on: October 03, 2013, 05:02:27 AM »
I'm going to Shikoku next week, so I'm re-reading Ian McDonald's Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone, a cyberpunk story of Buddhist pilgrims in a post-industrial Japan.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #2106 on: October 03, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »

one of my favorite modern horror author has his newest book on Kindle for $2 right now

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Thing-That-Awaits-ebook/dp/B00B0SBF1Y/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1380800789

Over the course of two award-winning collections and a critically acclaimed novel, The Croning, Laird Barron has arisen as one of the strongest and most original literary voices in modern horror and the dark fantastic. Melding supernatural horror with hardboiled noir, espionage, and a scientific backbone, Barron’s stories have garnered critical acclaim and have been reprinted in numerous year’s best anthologies and nominated for multiple awards, including the Crawford, International Horror Guild, Shirley Jackson, Theodore Sturgeon, and World Fantasy awards.

Barron returns with his third collection, The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All. Collecting interlinking tales of sublime cosmic horror, including “Blackwood’s Baby,” “The Carrion Gods in Their Heaven,” and “The Men from Porlock,” The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All delivers enough spine-chilling horror to satisfy even the most jaded reader.
Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2107 on: October 04, 2013, 06:43:42 AM »
Purchased, thanks for the heads-up!

Polari

• Hello darkness my old friend I come to talk to you again
« Reply #2108 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:35 PM »
Read Methland and Peter Hook's Joy Division memoirs on my holiday. Both were pretty interesting. Hook is kind of a cunt though.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2109 on: October 10, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
I'm currently reading Bram Stoker's Dracula
I haven't read this in decades, I believe, so it's fun to see how closely the various film versions hew to the actual tale
Tonya

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2110 on: October 10, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
I read that for one of my University courses.

I did a comparison of it to the movie Lost Boys :lol
___

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2111 on: October 10, 2013, 11:28:38 AM »
I read that for one of my University courses.

I did a comparison of it to the movie Lost Boys :lol

Did Felddog and the Haimster adequately capture the gothic horror and lurid victorian sexuality of the Bram Stoker original?
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2112 on: October 14, 2013, 08:25:04 AM »
Read Methland and Peter Hook's Joy Division memoirs on my holiday. Both were pretty interesting. Hook is kind of a cunt though.

I felt that way after reading Anthony Kiedis' autobiography, Scar Tissue. it actually made me enjoy the music a little less than before. Dude is broken and an abusive, self destructive type.

I'd still read Flea's bio if he ever puts one out. 

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2113 on: October 14, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »
Nearly done with Ancillary Justice, a very popular space opera that's getting bonkers great reviews. I don't get it - I'd give it a 3.5 / 5. The main character is sort of interesting (she used to be a ship AI with dozens of remote bodies, but due to Circumstances is now reduced to a single human form). We learn about Circumstances in alternating flashback chapters. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like the book does anything interesting with this premise - the single-ship body seems more or less like a standard special ops badass, just one who used to be a ship.

There is an interesting linguistic trick; the ship comes from a culture with an ambiguous understanding of gender and often gets confused when talking about other people. As a result, every person in the book is referred to as "she" or "her," and you'll get lines like "she was obviously male" or "her face was covered a close-cut gray beard." But again, while interesting I don't feel like it does much with this.

If it sounds like Your Sort of Thing you might enjoy it, but it just doesn't gel together for me. And it turns out the last part of the book is a few chapters from the sequel so I'm trending towards a SUPER inconclusive ending, seems like. :goty
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #2114 on: October 15, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
finished it. very 3/5. way overhyped. :goty
乱学者

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2115 on: October 15, 2013, 05:46:48 PM »
will pass then!  thanks for taking the bullet!

I had to set aside Dracula to read some library books
I'm currently reading french crime sensation, Alex which is kind of icky and I may not finish

if you want lots of sadistic sex and enjoy the victimization of women, then this may be the book of the year for you.
Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2116 on: October 20, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

Initially, I rolled my eyes at this book.  It seems like the Paleo craze is starting to peter out and when I see the word "Manifesto" written unironically, it's usually a book to pass on.  Yet I kept hearing about how it is the new Good Calories Bad Calories (or GCBC as I will call it from here on out) from some people who know their shit, including the author of GCBC.  So I got it.  You may say "paleo hnarf hnarf" but because of it, I'm back to my peak health, I have a ton of energy, can focus (instead of being in a permabrainfog like I have been for years), sleep great, and my hair stopped falling/thinning out.  Anyway, this book isn't that great.  There are so many times you can hear about how fucked farm subsidies are for dumping cheap shitty grain into the marketplace without skipping past that was sometime in 2011.  Yep, cheap grain is shitty and yep, HFCS is everywhere, even in things that you may not think have it.  This book doesn't really introduce anything new but if you're new to the scene, weigh 260 pounds and have tits that would give you a boner if you were a woman, this isn't a bad place to start.  GCBC is still the GOAT and you can find a PDF of it for free easily enough on the internet.  I recommend you do that instead (or re-read your copy) rather than mess with this book.  It's not so much bad as it is unoriginal and in a scene with literally dozens of books saying the same thing, you can safely pass this one.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:02:07 PM by Mary Tyler Whore »
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2117 on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:47 AM »
Reading Hard Magic by Larry Correia. I like urban fantasy, crime fiction, and film noir, so I'd been pretty hopeful when I approached The Dresden Files: Storm Front, which turned out to be complete crap. The hope which was mislaid there seems to have been better applied here. The book is a lot of fun, with good pacing, an interesting set of characters, and good writing, at least perfectly suited to the hardboiled genre tone.

Also re-read Scissors Cut Paper Wrap Stone, by Ian MacDonald. I'd remembered that it takes place during a pilgrimage on Shikoku, so I read it on my own pilgrimage to Shikoku, the week before last. It's a brisk read, and has very poetic language for a cyberpunk piece. Very enjoyable, though a couple central conceits don't hold up for me, while other are surprisingly prescient.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2118 on: October 21, 2013, 04:11:18 AM »
What a great book guys

:usacry  :cancry

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2119 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:49 AM »
Reading Hard Magic by Larry Correia. I like urban fantasy, crime fiction, and film noir, so I'd been pretty hopeful when I approached The Dresden Files: Storm Front, which turned out to be complete crap. The hope which was mislaid there seems to have been better applied here. The book is a lot of fun, with good pacing, an interesting set of characters, and good writing, at least perfectly suited to the hardboiled genre tone.

I got 3 books in that series for Secret Santa Bore a few years back. Good easy reads. If you like Harry try this

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2120 on: October 21, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
I read and enjoyed Already Dead; thanks!

I wasn't super thrilled with the mythology the author is working to build, so I am not champing at the bit to read the sequels.

I didn't like Storm Front at all. Hard Magic is a different beast, closer to Already Dead.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2121 on: October 23, 2013, 04:18:07 AM »
Started on Foucault's Pendulum.
It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall feeling it was not as awesome as everyone made it out to be. Hope you find it delectable.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2122 on: October 31, 2013, 08:07:01 AM »
if anyone likes old school ghost stories, Amazon currently has a great collection by MR James for sale for $3 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Ghost-Stories-ebook/dp/B005WSNYEY/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1383220740&sr=1-5

I currently own that in dead tree format and just picked it up in ebook form for comfortable reading.

If you do pick it up, I cannot say enough good things about A Podcast To The Curious which takes the format of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast of examining one story in depth with historical notes and research to kind of give context to it.

http://www.mrjamespodcast.com/

Tonya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2123 on: October 31, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »
It isn't a bad book, it is just very unoriginal. 
🍆🍆

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #2124 on: October 31, 2013, 08:47:55 AM »
I've been reading Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident

It's a non-fiction book about a filmmaker's journey to uncover the truth about what happened to the hikers that died during the Dyatlov Pass Incident.

The structure is a bit interesting. It follows three narratives; first is the author and his trips to Russia to research and investigate what happened, second is about the hikers themselves and the lead up to their ultimate demise, and the third is about the actual search party and investigation that took place after the hikers were discovered missing.

Seeing how the events played out is pretty interesting and I do like how the story is told (though the "current" narrative thread is the least interesting).

One aspect that I'm finding to be a bit weak is the authors writing. He tends to re-use writing tropes over and over, specifically he uses "As *I did this*, *this happened*". So like he'll say something like "As I stood there watching the train, a wave of realization washed over me." It's not  MAJOR issue but it's literally re-used at least once a chapter during the1st person retelling of his journey.

nat

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2125 on: November 13, 2013, 10:06:38 AM »
Just wrapped After Dracula - The Horror FIlm in the 1930s which is a short quick academic read that takes a deep look into a handful of generally pre-code films.  The book is interesting and gave some insight into the British horror film in the 30s which is generally overlooked in favor of Universal's output.  There is are very in depth looks at Island of Lost Souls and The Black Cat which were greatly appreciated.  My own experience with non-Universal Legosi / Karloff films have been limited because most of them are just godawful, so I have never seen The Black Cat, something this book has convinced me I need to rectify immediately.

After that I read Haunted Castles which is a collection of the Gothic Horror fiction of Ray Russell, a writer with whom I was unfamiliar, much to my detriment.  He was a longtime editor at Playboy which helped shape its reputation for excellent genre fiction (if you can check out the Playboy Books of Horror or Science Fiction to get a glimpse of classics which first appeared in that magazine).  These stories are gothics in the EC mode (probably influencing those comics) pitted with cruelty, irony and blackest of humors with wonderful twists

I'm currently reading Narcoland.  Hey, did you all know that Mexico's government is complicit in the cartels?  you probably guessed but it sure is terrifying to see just how intertwined the two are.
Tonya

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2126 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:16 AM »
Finished American Psycho yesterday, really enjoyed it, the food and clothes description would give GRRM the biggest hard on in his life.
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2127 on: November 14, 2013, 06:32:53 AM »
Just wrapped Hard Magic, which was great, and started Monster Hunter: Vendetta, which is pretty uninspiring so far. I like Correia's handling of noir-stylings and magic, but his gun fetish and "just a normal guy who is a total badass and loves his guns and is paranoid BUT FOR A REASON" is showing up weirdly in this modern day stuff.

Probably going to set it aside and start a different book.

Finishing up Best Served Cold in the near future as well. Abercrombie's prose is pretty smoooooth.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2128 on: November 14, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
Narcoland has a great line in it which I came across this morning
"During the 1980s, the United States authorities raised a murder of crows that today are pecking their eyes out."

It's basically about Iran Contra and how the CIA and DEA implicitly or explicitly supported the trafficking of drugs from Mexico to the US in order to raise money to murder South Americans with which they didn't agree but you can paint that to things like the middle-east today.

Tonya

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2129 on: November 18, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
Well, yeah; esp. look at Afghanistan, and how the resistance-against-the-USSR is what we're facing now in that area during our own ill-advised occupation.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2130 on: November 20, 2013, 07:41:47 AM »
finished Narcoland.  Totally depressing.  The only thing I think which can solve the issue is more opportunities for education and economic development in Mexico, but lord only knows how that will happen.  I hear that there's an increasing manufacturing sector which is doing things like building cars and such in central Mexico, but then there are places which just got electricity in 2001.  It's just insane to read about.  Sociopaths acting without fear of retribution all around, both in and out of cartels and governments.   
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2131 on: November 25, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Started reading:

(Image removed from quote.)

Non-fiction book about the history of conspiracy theories in American society/politics. Should be good.

reading this now. Still in the introduction so I don't have much to report.  As a dumb kid I loved conspiracy theories because they presented a kind of magical thinking.  I wasn't a huge believer in them pretty much knowing that the world was too chaotic to really be dictacted by something so beautifully simple as the Illuminati or what have you.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2132 on: November 29, 2013, 09:45:09 AM »
one of my favorite publishers is having a BFD sale where all of their ebooks are $.99 w/ coupon

RFD1113

http://www.chizinepub.com/titles

Titles I own from them
Celestial Inventories
Eutopia
Every House is Haunted
Horror Story and Other Horror Stories
The Inner City
Monstrous Affections
Remember Why You Fear Me
The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
Swallowing a Donkey's Eye
The Tel Aviv Dossier
Wikiworld
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2133 on: November 29, 2013, 10:19:21 AM »

Tests monday  :(

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2134 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »
is our machines learning?
©@©™

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2135 on: November 30, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »

Just diving into this now

On deck
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2136 on: December 01, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »
Couldn't put it down... and makes me think we are fucked if the Deep South ever gets political dominance again.

^_^

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2137 on: December 01, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
that's the next book i'm reading.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2138 on: December 02, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
Started reading:

Non-fiction book about the history of conspiracy theories in American society/politics. Should be good.

reading this now. Still in the introduction so I don't have much to report.  As a dumb kid I loved conspiracy theories because they presented a kind of magical thinking.  I wasn't a huge believer in them pretty much knowing that the world was too chaotic to really be dictacted by something so beautifully simple as the Illuminati or what have you.

I didn't know what what to expect but I absolutely love this book.  The author hits on some of my favorite conspiracy folk lore and provides actual history to stuff like Discordians, Church of the Subgenius, John Keel, and even touching on Charles Fort.  This is an entertaining and informative book.  I just wish it were longer.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2139 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:05 AM »
finished the Conspiracy book and the final segments were about liberal media bias, not conspiracies.  But editor of Reason Mag, whatchagonna do?  (at least it was interesting and informative in how the left portrayed the Right Wing violence spree of the past few years compared to the actual numbers)

Was going to read that American Nations book but am going to read This House Is Haunted first which is a book that seeks to emulate Victorian Ghost Stories.  I'm 25 pages in and so far we've got a Dickens appearance (reading The Signalman, no less)
Tonya

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2140 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:10 AM »
is our machines learning?

I don't know about your's but my certainly is. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2141 on: December 04, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »

My favorite part of Phil's books are how his flaws are always him caring too much or working too hard and how much he plays up (or believes?!?) his Zen Master persona.

You'd think an editor would check the win loss records and years of events though.

finished the Conspiracy book and the final segments were about liberal media bias, not conspiracies.  But editor of Reason Mag, whatchagonna do?  (at least it was interesting and informative in how the left portrayed the Right Wing violence spree of the past few years compared to the actual numbers)
The genesis of the book was this article and expanded from there after he started researching all the stuff people have believed: http://reason.com/archives/2009/09/15/the-paranoid-center

And Walker really really really hates the Southern Poverty Law Center and its use by the media as a source. So that's probably why it swerves.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 02:27:05 AM by benjipwns »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2142 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:03 AM »
I was going to read American Nations but I found the task too daunting just right now.  Am reading This House is Haunted which is a take on Victorian Ghost Stories.  This is a horror book which isn't particularly horrifying.  I'm curious enough about the central mystery to keep reading and I do like the language and the very clear (and acknowledged within the text) calls to Dickens.

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2143 on: December 05, 2013, 08:09:31 AM »
finished This House is Haunted in a day and it was ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh overall.  The actual mystery part was really good but the climax was a bit too The Conjuring for me with a goddamn ghost pulling apart a house.

Still not in the mood to read about how godawful the south is so I started reading a YA book called Beauty Queens by Libba Bray.  It's basically Lord of the Flies with beauty pageant contestants.  It's cute but not really laugh out loud funny thus far.  I do like it but not as much as Pornokitsch's review

http://www.pornokitsch.com/2013/11/review-round-up-ness-cadigan-haining-kaufman-alexander-bray.html

Libba Bray's Beauty Queens (2011) made me laugh out loud a half-dozen times. A dark, slapstick comedy about teenage pageant competitors stranded on a desert island while a bumbling Evil Corporation does Evil Stuff in the background. Ms. Bray takes wonderful pokes at reality television, consumer culture, nepotism, television, the South,... pretty much everything. But beneath it, there's a really lovely positive message about doing what you love and being yourself - whoever you are. Very highly recommended, both as a charmingly progressive book and a hilarious one.

Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2144 on: December 05, 2013, 10:34:15 AM »
The kids at school read those victorian girl books that Libba Bray writes. I decided to check out her book "Going Bovine" a while back, which was about a kid with Mad Cow Disease that goes on a phantasmagorical adventure, and it was p. okay.
©@©™

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2145 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
Finally, finally getting around to reading the Culture novels. :hyper
___

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2146 on: December 16, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »
Still not reading that American Nations book.  Lawrence in Arabia finally hit my turn after being on hold forever at my library so I dove into that pretty much immediately.  It's fascinating.  I think that Lawrence is just marketing bait because the book thus far focuses on 4 different individuals who were representative of the various interests acting on the Ottoman empire in the early 20th century.  We have TE Lawrence dispatched by the British, we have Curt Prüfer dispatched by the Germans, Aaron Aaronsohn a person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation looking to finagle a homeland for the Jews, and Standard Oil agent William Yale. 

The author Scott Anderson is doing a very good job of painting the main players right now and the societies from which they originate and how those actors viewed the Middle East.  He's not doing so well on how the people who live in the Middle East view the outsiders, but I imagine there's less documentation from which the historian can pull.
Tonya

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2147 on: December 16, 2013, 11:31:36 AM »

Not really a huge King fan, but I do enjoy reading his short stuff. I'm almost finished with the first novella "1922" and it's pretty good. It's about a guy that kills his wife, pulls off the perfect murder, but in doing so he triggers a domino effect that ends up ruining not only his own life but the lives of everyone around him.
©@©™

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #2148 on: December 16, 2013, 11:50:59 AM »
Morals & Dogma - Albert Pike.  :lol

Well, trying to at least. It is a bit dry.
:-[

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2149 on: January 06, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

Bought this when I bought American Nations, since I'm into sociology/nonfiction type stuff... liked it a lot more than Patchwork Nations (plus it has plenty of stats and numbers!)... seems much more logical in the way they grouped different parts of America together - by demographics, population density, population growth, religion, income, race, etc. instead of just by its historical founding.

Now finally getting around to Fareed Zakaraia's Post American World.

Think it's time for some fiction after this though!
^_^

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #2150 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

The Art of Explanation: Making your Ideas, Products, and Services Easier to Understand

o_0

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2151 on: January 08, 2014, 12:23:11 PM »

A meh-ish "sequel" to one of the earliest (1976) post-Lovecraft mythos anthologies. Most of these stories are a bit silly and bank pretty heavily on sex. One of the stories is inexplicably a sequel to The Island of Dr. Moreau written by Fred Olen Ray (director/producer of Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers and Emmanuel 2000) for chrissakes.  :wtf
©@©™

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2152 on: January 08, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »

Follow up (prequel lolol) to Paris 1919. My backlog is getting ridiculous now but I picked this up and may bump it up to the front.
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2153 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm rereading The Dark Tower series.  Currently on The Drawing of the Three.  Forgot how good it is.  :drool

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2154 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
I finally finished Best Served Cold, Abercrombie's stand-alone swords and soldiers and revenge book, set in the same world of his more famous book series, of which I've read none. Cormacaroni gave me the whole series, so I will read it, because everyone seems to agree that it's better than this. BSC was not bad by any measure, but the characters were not, by and large, likable, and the whole thing is either humorless, or so dry in its humor that it sailed past me. Except for the poisoner and Cosca. I liked it, but I'm going to wait a bit before starting The Blade Itself.

Just wrapping up Monster Hunter International. After enjoying the alternate history in Hard Magic so much, I figured MHI would be a slam dunk for popcorn fare. Instead, I feel like I'm reading through some gun-fan, fantasy-geek libertarian's wet dream. It's the story of a large, angry man who was trying really hard to fit into normal society after a long dark history of fringe violence (illegal street fighting, bouncing) but turns out that he's not meant to be an accountant, and instead finds a group of licensed monster hunters (HENCE THE TITLE) who share his repressed need to enact violence, also love their guns (but he's just a little bit better than they are), and accept him for who he is! Also, dispersions are cast against the government at just about every turn. The main character also falls for a girl who is going out with the badass Camaro jerkface captain of his group, who she can't see is just a prideful asshole Who is Afraid of The Main Character.

Yeah... NONE of this was present in the Hard Magic book, which was a lot more fun and felt much less like one long Freudian slip. I'll continue reading the latter series, but I may be done with MHI.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2155 on: January 09, 2014, 03:47:18 AM »

Good stuff.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
So obvious Lamb = Logen
[close]

This took about three weeks but the last 500 pages I burned through because it's so entertaining. Also ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't get too excited Rotfuss is taking FOREVER with the final part.

Ive found the main character kind of annoying too.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2156 on: January 09, 2014, 04:54:14 AM »
Yeah, I agree, Kvothe is too perfect. Made me hesitant to pick up the second book.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #2157 on: January 09, 2014, 07:13:57 AM »
I'm currently reading Will McIntosh's Love Minus Eighty which is about deep freeze wives for lonely space colonists

it posits a pretty horrifying future
Tonya

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2158 on: January 09, 2014, 07:41:41 AM »
Yeah, I agree, Kvothe is too perfect. Made me hesitant to pick up the second book.

It really put me off on the whole fantasy genre for a while as I'm really starting to get bored of this coming of age genre, until some smart people recommended me the First Law trilogy which is amazing and fresh.

Robo

« Reply #2159 on: January 09, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »
I'm reading Glamorama, which is about fucks and shits and girls with no tits.  I like it!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:51:43 AM by Robo »
obo