Author Topic: What book(s) are you reading?  (Read 684402 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: What book(s) are you reading?
« Reply #2580 on: November 06, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »

i would have titled it Pants On Fire

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2581 on: November 06, 2016, 07:13:17 AM »
Any good?

benjipwns

« Reply #2582 on: November 06, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Yeah, it's alright. It's kinda weird for an academic press book though and the guy trips up on his critiques a lot. A lot of his examples I have to look up because he explains events poorly and they're from like 2012. The most interesting probably is the interviews with so-called "real" fact checkers like PolitiFact who turn down their noses at Media Matters and such partisan fact checkers. He argues, and I agree, that the partisan fact checkers play a valuable role since sometimes they're the only ones who even dare criticize certain topics, let alone media figures which the others won't touch.

I had no clue PolitiFact franchised itself out and pursued litigation against people for using "pants on fire" and other "trademarks" of their brand. That and other stuff about how the places work and stuff is the other most interesting stuff probably. He worked a few months with them on stuff.

As an aside, just to comment on the Supreme Court book above. It's supposed to be like how the Burger Court was the first steps of the horrible slide to the hellscape that is the Roberts Court. But the book utterly fails at this except for a couple examples. Most of the book is about how the Burger Court expanded free speech protections, abortion rights, womens rights, civil rights, etc. and then the authors complain that they didn't go outside the cases to do something like make quotas for women in every industry and have them paid more.

The funny part is that part of the book praises Ruth Bader Ginsburg for her incremental approach to bringing Supreme Court cases to get small wins that add up, when the book basically paints the Burger Court as doing exactly this.

The worst example was basically complaining that sure the Burger Court may have decided Roe v. Wade and a whole bunch of other birth control cases that freed these up for women from state laws. But the real horrid legacy is that the evil white men on the court (the book seriously reminds you that they're mostly white men over and over) refused to understand the real troubles of women and mandate that all forms of birth control be free forever. Also, by improving womens rights they undermined the ERA which might have passed if they had refused to improve them!

The good part is all the internal hubbub from the private papers and stuff since they're all dead. Like Roe v. Wade, that was like the Tuesday case, nobody even cared about it. Some other case everyone has forgotten was the important one that term but only one anyone remembers. Also arguments back and forth and then angry dissents. Stuff getting personal like Burger and Blackmun being friends for decades and then after five years on the Court together no longer speaking for the rest of their lives. I should read the one Bob Woodward book, it apparently has more of this kind of stuff, and is regarding the same Court.

The one Oliver Wendall Holmes circlejerk book was good for that kind of stuff and gossip and little spats, even if all of it was being twisted to make him seem like a demigod in a room full of morons who couldn't grasp his genius.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2583 on: November 06, 2016, 05:36:26 PM »
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2584 on: November 06, 2016, 06:16:54 PM »
Let me know if Midway's PS2 Joust reboot is in there. That was my last project before jumping ship to Japan.

Bebpo

« Reply #2585 on: November 06, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
I got that too!  Skimmed a little but haven't read yet.  Book is massive!

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2586 on: November 06, 2016, 06:58:12 PM »
Reading these two. American Gods I'm reading through for the second time, but I've never read the 10th anniversary edition. Which I am reading now.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2587 on: November 06, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
Let me know if Midway's PS2 Joust reboot is in there. That was my last project before jumping ship to Japan.

Will do! It's a pretty big book (480 pages!) and I'm only on the SNES section now. Some interesting things were in development that I didn't know about... Fallout 3 was originally gonna be a completely different game codenamed "Van Buuren". Overhead and more like the first 2. Also there was another game based on The Witcher in development years before CD Projekt's, it was gonna be a linear 3rd person action adventure. And a Myst game called "The Adventures Beyond The D'ni Ultraworld". Sounds like there are some fellow Orb fanboys in the dev team!
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #2588 on: November 06, 2016, 10:22:45 PM »
Reading these two. American Gods I'm reading through for the second time, but I've never read the 10th anniversary edition. Which I am reading now.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice!  I'm going on vacation tomorrow and bringing Anansi Boys to read for the first time.  Really looking forward to the TV adaptation of American Gods in January.

Bebpo

« Reply #2589 on: November 16, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
Finished Anansi Boys, good read.  What surprised me was that the book was a very british comedy adventure considering American Gods is played pretty straight.  Anansi Boys had some really funny stuff like the lime scene.  But yeah, I just enjoyed how British humor it was.  The oddball stuff reminded me of a Douglas Adams novel.

No idea how they can incorporate any of this into American Gods TV, but if the more they can, the better.  The African animal mythology stories were great.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2590 on: November 16, 2016, 09:39:36 PM »
Chrono - no PS2 Joust reboot but there's an article on a Joust reboot for the N64...
^_^

etiolate

« Reply #2591 on: November 16, 2016, 10:13:40 PM »
read Norm MacDonald's book

it's funny

it's fiction, and if you take it as a real autobiography, he will be upset

Syph

« Reply #2592 on: November 27, 2016, 06:41:38 PM »

pretty good so far
not something i'd usually read and the jacket really turned me off, but I've plugged through and it's been very interesting
definitely thought-provoking
XO

benjipwns

« Reply #2593 on: December 12, 2016, 12:40:03 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2594 on: December 12, 2016, 09:00:04 PM »
About the author: ZACHARY AUBURN is a writer and artist whose 'zines include an analysis of every outfit worn by the Golden Girls in the first season, a Choose Your Own Adventure about a tortured relationship (which Slate called a "small masterpiece"), and a field guide to the aliens on Star Trek.

:jasoncollins

benjipwns

« Reply #2595 on: December 13, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
the back of the book has a list of "other books in the How To Talk To Your Cat About series" that I wish were real:
  • 9/11
  • Abortion Holocaust
  • Being Adopted
  • Biblical Literalism
  • Cats
  • Chemtrails
  • U.S. Corporate Tax Policy
  • Disabling Quantum Cryptography
  • Divorce
  • Eating Disorders
  • Fluroide and Mind Control
  • Gamergate
  • Georgia O'Keeffe
  • Global Warming
  • The Gnostic Gospels
  • Grand Unified Theory
  • Hippies
  • Hosting a Dinner Party
  • Immigration
  • ISIS
  • Jesus
  • Learning to Drive
  • Miscegenation
  • The Moon Landing Hoax
  • The Moral Majority
  • The New World Order
  • Objectivism
  • Online Dating
  • P versus NP
  • Phrenology
  • Planning for Retirement
  • Political Correctness
  • Postmodern Architecture
  • Project MKUltra
  • The Rand Corporation
  • Recursive Evaluation Functions in Neural Networks
  • The Riemann Hypothesis
  • Santa Claus
  • Scientology
  • Secret Minecraft Techniques
  • Sharia Law
  • Social Justice Warriors
  • States Rights
  • The Teapot Dome Scandal
  • The Afterlife
  • The Articles of the Confederacy
  • The Lost Tribes of Israel
  • The Tunguska Event
  • Thimerosal
  • Third Wave Feminism
  • The person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation Menace
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:36:56 PM by benjipwns »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2596 on: December 13, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
Why would you talk to your cat about Tunguska, since those little shards of Bast are responsible for it?

benjipwns

« Reply #2597 on: December 15, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »

very much like the SNL and ESPN books (Live From New York and Those Guys Have All The Fun) where it's 95+% interview content as oral history, not paragraphs of story and/or analysis

covers the founding to about 1992

the first modern music videos were apparently devised by British bands so as to avoid having to actually show up and play on various TV programs that all wanted them to appear over and over

laziness  :rejoice

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2598 on: December 17, 2016, 10:53:09 AM »

very much like the SNL and ESPN books (Live From New York and Those Guys Have All The Fun) where it's 95+% interview content as oral history, not paragraphs of story and/or analysis

covers the founding to about 1992

the first modern music videos were apparently devised by British bands so as to avoid having to actually show up and play on various TV programs that all wanted them to appear over and over

laziness  :rejoice

Maybe get a blister on their little finger. Maybe get a blister on their thumb.
©@©™

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2599 on: December 18, 2016, 10:26:46 PM »
snip
So I wanna come back to this post because finals just ended last week and shawty hasn't chirped back and I've spent the ensuing free time working through some of Tolkien's letters, which wound this interpretation (but not fatally, imo). The leitmotif throughout this (brief) investigation has been the reframing of the legendarium within Tolkien's own religiosity. As he himself wrote to his son in Letter 172:
The Lord of the Rings is of course a fundamentally religious and Catholic work.
Pace the above Word of God, Middle-Earth is not entirely reducible to tolkiens catholicism, but it was undoubtedly informed by it. At any rate, here's what I've come up with.

The West is a promise after death.
This is untenable, per Letter 237:
The passage over Sea is not Death. The 'mythology' is Elf-centered. According to it there was at first an actual Earthly Paradise, home and realm of the Valar, as a physical part of the earth.
From this and the 2 articles from the literature I looked at, Aman, or the 'Undying Lands', is closer to Eden after the expulsion than Celestial Paradise as such. So, a real, physical place on Arda, not a transcendent afterlife. The emendation "there was at first" is important here, Aman/Valinor was submerged after the numenoreans tried to reach it in the Silmarillion. It still exists, and is what Frodo and Bilbo sail towards, it's just been in occultation since the Second (I think?) Age. From letter 325:

The ‘immortals’ who were permitted to leave Middle-earth and seek Aman — the undying lands of Valinor and Eressëa, an island assigned to the Eldar — set sail in ships specially made and hallowed for this voyage, and steered due West towards the ancient site of these lands. They only set out after sundown; but if any keen-eyed observer from that shore had watched one of these ships he might have seen that it never became hull-down but dwindled only by distance until it vanished in the twilight: it followed the straight road to the true West and not the bent road of the earth’s surface. As it vanished it left the physical world. There was no return. The Elves who took this road and those few ‘mortals’ who by special grace went with them, had abandoned the ‘History of the world’ and could play no further part in it.

The angelic immortals (incarnate only at their own will), the Valar or regents under God, and others of the same order but less power and majesty (such as Olórin = Gandalf) needed no transport, unless they for a time remained incarnate, and they could, if allowed or commanded, return.

As for Frodo or other mortals, they could only dwell in Aman for a limited time — whether brief or long. The Valar had neither the power nor the right to confer ‘immortality’ upon them. Their sojourn was a ‘purgatory’, but one of peace and healing and they would eventually pass away (die at their own desire and of free will) to destinations of which the Elves knew nothing.

So what I said here:
It's why "The West" works as arc words: you're not literally going in a cardinal direction -iirc, he explicitly laid out that if you did, you still wouldn't reach Aman- you're passing a threshold from this world to a far green country with white shores and a swift sunrise.
Is also not true. You are actually going due west, it's just that this isn't physically possible for mortals who haven't been beknighted with divine favor. Whether that's an actually meaningful distinction I'll leave for the reader to decide. You are still passing a threshold though. Once you've gone, you exit history, which makes that last paragraph interesting: if Frodos not dead yet, and still mortal, the only thing left for him to do is willingly kill himself to reach a "destination of which the Elves know nothing." Whether that undiscovered country is the same thing as Celestial Paradise? Who knows.

The Silmarillion feels like the Bible in that there are a bunch of alien geometries and spatial/temporal ambiguities you just can't square away if you go in with the attitude that everything on the map in the appendix is a 1 for 1 representation of the proverbial thing-in-the-world...You can do that in fantasy, you can imagine time and space differently. I think that's one of the strongest points in favor of it as a genre and it's why I feel confident in drawing a lineage between Tolkien and works like Beowulf which, for obvious reasons, don't share our modernist sympathies.
So, this is the rub and I think it's still broadly defensible. Tolkien always hedges his remarks in these letters. Lines like "The 'mythology' is Elf-centered" are symptomatic and 100% deliberate. I initially had a tough time squaring away that kind of language with this new insight on Aman/Valinor but what I think he's doing here is creating a space for competing interpretations in-universe. Whether Iluvatar sunk the undying lands in moral retribution for the numenoreans hubris or a cataclysmic physical event ocurred that profoundly changed the geography of middle earth isn't the point. The point is to imitate the texts that run these distinctions together. The legendarium is misty in the same way the Beowulf we've inherited is.

**I have never read Heidegger either :expert
The allusion to Heidegger's in-der-Welt-sein, or, being-in-the-world, doesn't work here. You could've picked literally any other writer in the continental phenomenological tradition to make this joke. But you didn't. And that's ok. We learn, we grow, we special fellow :expert.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:confused
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2600 on: December 30, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
Almost done with 'It'

Kinda Meh.

Tasty

« Reply #2601 on: December 30, 2016, 08:43:58 PM »
Reading/plugging my good friend's first novel, Directorate 51: Revelation, an Amazon Kindle exclusive. If you've got a buck and change to spare it'd help the guy out. :)

Tasty

« Reply #2602 on: December 30, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »
Almost done with 'It'

Kinda Meh.

It picks up with the underaged gangbang at the end. :jared

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #2603 on: December 30, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
Does sonic have a penis on that cover?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2604 on: December 30, 2016, 09:39:57 PM »
Almost done with 'It'

Kinda Meh.

It picks up with the underaged gangbang at the end. :jared

Reading now.  WTF

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2605 on: December 30, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
LOL the fat kid got the biggest dick. 

Tasty

« Reply #2606 on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »
Stephen King: Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2607 on: December 30, 2016, 10:13:49 PM »
LOL the fat kid got the biggest dick. 

Um, spoilers! :maf
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #2608 on: December 30, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2609 on: December 30, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »
Pretty sure he was off of drugs when he wrote this one. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2610 on: December 30, 2016, 10:41:49 PM »
They killed like 100 people in the flood just to save like 10 kids every 30 years, lol

Tasty

« Reply #2611 on: December 30, 2016, 10:43:35 PM »
They killed like 100 people in the flood just to save like 10 kids every 30 years, lol

I'd make the same sacrifice to kill a spider tbh.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2612 on: December 30, 2016, 10:45:05 PM »
If you consider those peoples potential children over time, I think the losers club is looking at a net loss of live from their antics.  Never trust a fucking turtle.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2613 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
Started back up midway through Toll the Hounds after being too stressed to read for 3 months.  First chapter I get to, more Bridge Burners dying :( 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2614 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:56 PM »
I'm gonna be posting in here a lot over the next year... I've decided to fail spectacularly and read a new (to me) book each week of 2017.

Up first: Neuromancer by William Gibson. Hard to believe I've never read this. About 2/3 of the way through it.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2615 on: January 02, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
Ya I'm going to be posting so much in this thread, so prepare your post-holes. 

Tasty

« Reply #2616 on: January 02, 2017, 06:27:19 PM »
Me too. Going to increase my book reading by ∞% this year (since I read zero books this year.)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2617 on: January 02, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
Me too. Going to increase my book reading by ∞% this year (since I read zero books this year.)

You should read a book on math. 

Tasty

« Reply #2618 on: January 02, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »

You should read a book on math.

Gimme recs breh.

Edit- Wait isn't it infinite?

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/qq/database/qq.09.05/joseph1.html

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2619 on: January 02, 2017, 08:25:21 PM »
No you have a divide by 0, which makes the whole thing undefined. 

Tasty

« Reply #2620 on: January 02, 2017, 08:28:16 PM »
Look, you use your math and I'll use mine.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2621 on: January 02, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #2622 on: January 02, 2017, 08:33:56 PM »
However, 0/0 is still undefined on the Riemann sphere, but defined in wheels.

BS. 0/0 is obviously 1.

benjipwns

« Reply #2623 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:13 PM »
In college, I took college algebra which was the lowest non-remedial offered because I only needed the one math credit. (I had done like past AP-calculus and stuff already but didn't want to bother with any actual work for a required core credit.)

One day, like ten people in the class were arguing with the professor for like twenty minutes that 2/2 = 0 because when you divide something by itself you have nothing left.

I did beat Metroid: Zero Mission tho

Tasty

« Reply #2624 on: January 02, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
In college? :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2625 on: January 03, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
I want to laugh, but the only way I know how to explain why they were wrong would be to repeat what I learned when I was little, which is "how many times this number fits into this other number".

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2626 on: January 03, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
In college, I took college algebra which was the lowest non-remedial offered because I only needed the one math credit. (I had done like past AP-calculus and stuff already but didn't want to bother with any actual work for a required core credit.)

One day, like ten people in the class were arguing with the professor for like twenty minutes that 2/2 = 0 because when you divide something by itself you have nothing left.

I did beat Metroid: Zero Mission tho

I beat Metroid: 2/2 Mission :smug
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #2627 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:32 AM »
Eventually the professor was so frustrated she just said "for the purposes of this class any number divided by itself will equal 1!!!"

Thing I never understood is like...did they ignore what their TI-84+ Silver Edition Pluses were telling them?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2628 on: January 03, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
Why didn't you just get credit for the AP class? Also, did you never take a stat class? Thought you had some kinda social science major.

benjipwns

« Reply #2629 on: January 03, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
Ya, but those stats classes aren't like...math math.

I didn't take any of the AP tests.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #2630 on: January 04, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »
In college, I took college algebra which was the lowest non-remedial offered

I didn't take any of the AP tests.

This is some kinda The Murder of Roger Ackroyd situation where the twist is you're really the one who's bad at math, isn't it?

benjipwns

« Reply #2631 on: January 04, 2017, 12:34:55 AM »
No, I said I beat Metroid: Zero Mission.

Shrew

« Reply #2632 on: January 18, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
Been in a nostalgia mood lately, so I've been reading some older Fantasy books I read as a kid to see how they held up. Shannara, Thomas Covenant, Dragonlance, etc.

Most of them held up pretty well, if a little cheesy, because they're aimed at younger readers.

And then I read the Xanth books. Holy shit, the Xanth books  :crazy

Shrew

« Reply #2633 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:14 PM »
Wrapped up the Malazan books.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
While reading it, I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but during the last book, everything sort of fizzled. I dunno. Same thing happened with Wheel of Time. Shit is cool and awesome, but I got no sense of closure, the World and story got too big, too many story lines, what the fuck happened to this guy, and whatnot.
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2634 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »
I just started Dust of Dreams

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2635 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »
Here's what I have on my nightstand, which should I read next?

The City & the City - China Mieville
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
The Stress of Her Regard - Tim Powers
©@©™

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #2636 on: January 30, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »
City and the City

Lord of Light is also p. cool.
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2637 on: January 30, 2017, 06:52:12 PM »
Here's what I have on my nightstand, which should I read next?

The City & the City - China Mieville
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
The Stress of Her Regard - Tim Powers

I had a difficult time finishing that Powers' book. I'm interested to hear what you think of it.

benjipwns

« Reply #2638 on: February 01, 2017, 03:45:46 AM »

both of these felt like what you'd produce because your 200 page book is due in three days but you've got the wikipedia pages and linked articles already printed out and spread out on the floor in chronological order of events

benjipwns

« Reply #2639 on: February 01, 2017, 06:33:03 AM »
next/now:

An oral/interview history like the MTV book above. Covers up through the TOS movies.

One thing that I noted because of reading the Seinfeld book just prior. In that case, neither Larry David nor Jerry Seinfeld had any familiarity with sitcoms and how they were to be written and so on, later they brought in writers from SNL/etc. In Trek's case, initially they had no experience with science fiction, it was later that the names came in.

Also, on Seinfeld every script went through Larry David who would re-write it totally at times hollowing out the original script, same with Gene.

And yes, there's a TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT follow up I suspected was coming but didn't know was already out: