Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082777 times)

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #2040 on: February 17, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
Anyone else watch Drinking Made Easy on HD Net?
野球

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2041 on: February 17, 2011, 03:54:27 PM »
I've been watching the first season of Star Trek The Next Generation since I've never seen TNG before. Wesley is so obnoxious.  :-\
WDW

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2042 on: February 17, 2011, 04:03:05 PM »
I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks recently.  What's different in the International Pilot?  The pilot was pretty damn awesome.  Ominous and creepy with a lot of intrigue.  How out there does this show get?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #2043 on: February 18, 2011, 12:34:56 PM »
I watched the first episode of Twin Peaks recently.  What's different in the International Pilot?  The pilot was pretty damn awesome.  Ominous and creepy with a lot of intrigue.  How out there does this show get?

Pretty out there. It's very good especially the first season. It's more amazing that something like that for a bit was on mainstream TV and actually had a lot of buzz.

Parks and Recreations is such a good show. That's become my favorite show on that night. Very good example of a show improving from its original premise where it was just a bad office clone.

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #2044 on: February 18, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
I've been watching the first season of Star Trek The Next Generation since I've never seen TNG before. Wesley is so obnoxious.  :-\

Quick! The Enterprise is about to be destroyed...WHAT DO WE DO?
Picard: Duuuurrr
Riker: Duuuurrr
Worf: Duuuurrr
Geordi: Duuuurrr
Wesley: I KNOW!
CBG

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2045 on: February 18, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »

The first few seasons are mostly crap with the occasional good episode mixed in there. It gets better as it goes on.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #2046 on: February 18, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »

Just wait on until Riker gets a beard and/or they get small collars on their uniforms

(one of the few internet rules of thumb I'll abide until death)
___

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2047 on: February 19, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »
lulz. Because of last night's 30 rock I'm going to start watching Poirot from the beginning. Never watched it before or seen or read any of agatha christie's stuff except for murder on the orient express.

etiolate

« Reply #2048 on: February 19, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »
poirot is awesome

the books are like 80% dialogue so they work well in film

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2049 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »
poirot is awesome

the books are like 80% dialogue so they work well in film

Yeah it's tickling by british culture fetish fancy. I always knew about the show but it seemed too "highfalutin" for me to watch but now that I'm a bit older I can enjoy it. I started from the beginning and I'm 2 or 3 episodes in. Enjoying it.

etiolate

« Reply #2050 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24:40 AM »
there was a very special kosma moment on The Simpsons this week

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2051 on: February 22, 2011, 05:30:16 AM »

It gets pretty far out there.

I thought that the international pilot actually revealed the killer, but he was an entirely different manifestation than in the TV series...?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2052 on: February 22, 2011, 05:31:04 AM »

Yeah, it's as though all the writers thought the exact same thing when they read the character synopses: "A child genius? I might be able to work that in..."

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2053 on: February 22, 2011, 11:18:46 AM »

I thought that the international pilot actually revealed the killer, but he was an entirely different manifestation than in the TV series...?
I haven't had a chance to get to the second episode but what do you mean manifestation?  What kind of out there does it get?  Like a soap opera, stephen king movie or like Lost?  I'm okay with all 3 kinds actually!

I've still been watching Ugly Betty.  I can't believe I neglected this show for so long.  It's hilarious and awesome.  I love how self aware it is and how much it actually acts like a soap opera.  whole story arcs are finished in single episodes.  I love that.  It moves so fast.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #2054 on: February 22, 2011, 12:01:48 PM »
Scrubs is pretty awesome  :-[

etiolate

« Reply #2055 on: February 23, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
I tried watching Legend of the Seeker because I heard the people behind Hercules/Xena were behind this show as well, but Seeker takes itself a lot more seriously. It also has way too much matrix-effects and slow-mo i its fights. It also has a creepy ass looking Gandalf.

No.

I gave Raising Hope a shot because I caught it once flipping channels and it didn't look as bad as I had always assumed. Turns out the show is actually amusing. I might start watching it more often.

Oh, and I like Bob's Burgers though it seems not many do. It is character comedy, like King of the Hill sort, and the daughters are pretty funny. It looks really out of place surrounded by McFarlane shows. I imagine viewers sitting in front of the TV very perplexed and angry that something pop culture hasn't been referenced for thirty whole seconds.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #2056 on: February 24, 2011, 12:46:30 AM »
Scrubs is pretty awesome  :-[

It gets boring in the lats few seasons.
Drunk

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #2057 on: February 25, 2011, 01:01:11 AM »
Dammit, will Stargate Universe ever get good?

First they had "we're out of sand.  Better get some.  Oh shit how we gonna make it back to the gate."
Now I just watched "we're out of water. Better get some.  Oh shit how we gonna make it back to the gate."
WTF.

At least hot medic chick featured prominently in the last one.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2058 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
Can someone explain Babylon 5 to me? I get that maybe the first few episodes aren't representatvive, but they're like really, really, really fucking bad. Like sub-Captain Power bad.

It's cool and all that the longterm story was apparently planned out from the start, but Jeebus...do people even notice it's being delivered so ridiciulously shitty or does it actually get better from here.
___

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2059 on: February 25, 2011, 11:43:49 AM »
Can someone explain Babylon 5 to me? I get that maybe the first few episodes aren't representatvive, but they're like really, really, really fucking bad. Like sub-Captain Power bad.

It's cool and all that the longterm story was apparently planned out from the start, but Jeebus...do people even notice it's being delivered so ridiciulously shitty or does it actually get better from here.

Everybody who starts Babylon 5 goes through what you are going through now.

Me at the beginning of the series 4 years ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6565545&postcount=11
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6570445&postcount=18

Me by the end.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6833867&postcount=63

The first season is hard to watch although it gets better as it goes on. But there is important story stuff being setup so you can't skip it.

All I can say is that everybody goes through what you are going through.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 11:45:49 AM by Stoney Mason »

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2060 on: February 25, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »

Me by the end.

The first season is hard to watch although it gets better as it goes on. But there is important story stuff being setup so you can't skip it.

Alright, I'll take your word for it -  just know I'm positively allergic to to shitty scifi/fantasy  ala whatever the fuck ken sorbo is in, and have no idea who actually watches it....I might  try pushing through the first season again
___

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2061 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »

Me by the end.

Alright, I'll take your word for it -  just know I'm positively allergic to to shitty scifi/fantasy  ala whatever the fuck ken sorbo is in, and have no idea who actually watches it....I might  try pushing through the first season again

I would definitely say watch the first season or as much of it as you can. It's not like its awesome or gets a shitload better on a lot of fronts but it plants the necessary seeds and curiosity and characterization that pays off later. And I actually think the first season even gets better itself even though I'm not going to deceive you and pretend its the best thing ever by the end of it.

If after a certain point you just aren't hooked by where the story is going then I would say its just not for you and drop it. The appeal of Babylon 5 is the characters and the continuing storyline. It's never the special effects or acting in general. It's that after awhile the plotting and arcs are beyond anything most TV sci-fi ever really tries.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #2062 on: February 25, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
I rewatched the show for the first time in like 7 years last summer after picking up the DVDs.

Found Season 1 to be more enjoyable than in previous viewings, but maybe that's the benefit of knowing how everything builds up.  (and because my original viewing of the series was F'd up because of all the channel- and time-slot- jumping the show did here in Canada in its original run.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2063 on: February 25, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »
Found Season 1 to be more enjoyable than in previous viewings, but maybe that's the benefit of knowing how everything builds up.

I kinda feel the same way but I know how difficult it is for new people to try to watch that first season. It seems so cheap and cheesy that at first you feel like someone is playing a savage joke on you with all the hype. But so much good shit is to come that it rewatching the first season is like building up anticipation after you've seen the whole.

There is a specific scene in the series that is one of my favorite scenes ever on TV and fucking makes me tear up like a baby everytime I see it. Very rare to me for TV as I was totally into the context and characters of the show.

Don't click obviously Mamacint
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
[close]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:51:45 PM by Stoney Mason »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #2064 on: February 25, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »
aaand now I want to post youtube clips of awesome B5 moments.  But I won't, out of respect for not spoiling stuff for mamacint if he decides to stick with it.

But Londo + G'Kar = best sci-fi character chemistry ever.  
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #2065 on: February 25, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
also:  Bester  :bow2

also:  Marcus :bow2
MMA

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2066 on: February 26, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Thanks, I respect your opinions and am not gonna hold against an entire series it's first few episodes being dorkily shitty - I can't remember how many episodes I watched the last time but I'll look to watch more and see if I get in the groove.
___

Diunx

« Reply #2067 on: February 26, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Fringe was pretty fucking awesome last night, I hope they do another prequel episode before going out.
Drunk

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #2068 on: February 26, 2011, 03:07:14 PM »
Maybe I'll watch Babylon 5 after  I finish watching Star Trek TNG. I'm a sucker for sci-fi, cheesy or not.
WDW

Diunx

« Reply #2069 on: February 27, 2011, 12:29:05 AM »
Episode one of Camelot is out for those interested, will download it tomorrow morning :hyper
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2070 on: February 27, 2011, 02:46:37 AM »
Hmm didn't know the show was coming out soon. I'll check it out. The trailer is meh, and I really don't like the lead actor. King Arthur should be a badass even as a young man, not some skinny feminine dumbshit.

Diunx

« Reply #2071 on: February 27, 2011, 12:11:42 PM »
Camelot was alright, there was a lot wrong with the pilot but I still give the show a couple of episodes like I usually do, Eva Green was pretty fantastic in this but the kid playing Arthur on the other hand was fucking terrible and he has a really big and really distracting forehead, he can easily brake this show I have no idea how he got the lead on this.

I hope season two of Spartacus get this kind of budget.
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2072 on: February 27, 2011, 01:50:42 PM »
The lead left Game of Thrones to do Camelot. lol

Diunx

« Reply #2073 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
There is probably a scene where he fucks Eva Green, I would have done the same if that was the case :drool
Drunk

Diunx

« Reply #2074 on: February 27, 2011, 06:13:41 PM »
When you say it like that it sounds like canada has more than one good things.
Drunk

« Reply #2075 on: February 27, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
Trailer Park Boys ... best thing Canada has ever done.

:dizzy
野球

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2076 on: February 27, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
cool, thanks for the heads-up, been wanting to check out the show for a while now
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2077 on: February 28, 2011, 09:27:26 AM »

I haven't had a chance to get to the second episode but what do you mean manifestation?  What kind of out there does it get?  Like a soap opera, stephen king movie or like Lost?  I'm okay with all 3 kinds actually!

I've still been watching Ugly Betty.  I can't believe I neglected this show for so long.  It's hilarious and awesome.  I love how self aware it is and how much it actually acts like a soap opera.  whole story arcs are finished in single episodes.  I love that.  It moves so fast.

Like a David Lynch movie. There's a bunch of very odd mysticism which gets rolled out over the course of the series. You're making me want to watch it again, just dredging up what I can remember. There was a version of Twin Peaks which was meant to stand alone as a two hour movie. The killer just turns out to be a guy who works at the hospital. In the series, it turns out to be significantly more complex. Lost Highway is actually pretty similar, if you think about the way it turns out.

Diunx

« Reply #2078 on: March 01, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
Of course, the pilot is the first episode.

Drunk

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #2079 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »
Just saw the Fringe episode guest starring Christopher Lloyd.  Wow, it was spankingly good.  What a great storyline.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2080 on: March 03, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
Just got caught up to date for this season's episodes of The Big Bang Theory and Smallville.

First things first:

Raj had a Bollywood song, and it was awesome.  And I wish I could be Howard Wolowitz for one reason...

:heartbeat  :heartbeat  :heartbeat  Bernadette  :heartbeat  :heartbeat  :heartbeat
[close]

Second,

Yes, I still watch Smallville.  I know it's not as good as it used to be, but I figured since I've been with the show since it started, I might as well see it through to the end.  And Erica Durance is really hot too.
WTF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2081 on: March 05, 2011, 11:11:55 AM »
Trailer Park Boys is finally on Netfliz streaming fyi.
:bow :bow2

Perhaps the best thing Canada has ever done.

<----*cough*
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2082 on: March 05, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
Wow the last season of Scrubs sure shat the bed. Never thought I'd witness a season finale worse than Lost's

:fbm

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2083 on: March 05, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Wow the last season of Scrubs sure shat the bed. Never thought I'd witness a season finale worse than Lost's

Are you talking about the non-Zach Braff season?
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #2084 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
Yea. Most of the main characters were either barely in it or not at all. And nearly all of the new med students were horrible. Looking back S8's finale seemed more like what you'd expect from a season finale

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2085 on: March 05, 2011, 03:27:55 PM »
I remember really liking bitch-tough chick, but the main character/narrator girl was hooorrrrriibble
___

cool breeze

« Reply #2086 on: March 07, 2011, 01:49:29 AM »
Veronica Mars episode 1/pilot

After watching and rewatching Party Down on Netflix, I decided to check it out because there are connections or something.  Anyway, it was pretty good.  I'm eager to watch more, although, for some reason I remember a lot of melancholy whenever it was mentioned on forums.  This isn't one of those shows that got canceled too soon or went to shit, was it?

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #2087 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:07 AM »
So recently me and a mate got into the habit of watching blue mountain state while drinking in the evenings for our cozy weekday bro-outs, and while it's incredibly juvenile and simple I suppose I am too cus that shit is the bomb. I also love American Pie: Beta House so I guess I'm predisposed to liking shitty college poop jokes.

archie4208

« Reply #2088 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
Just finished season 3 of Six Feet Under.

[close]

etiolate

« Reply #2089 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »

After watching and rewatching Party Down on Netflix, I decided to check it out because there are connections or something.  Anyway, it was pretty good.  I'm eager to watch more, although, for some reason I remember a lot of melancholy whenever it was mentioned on forums.  This isn't one of those shows that got canceled too soon or went to shit, was it?

First season is pretty good. Then the show goes to shit.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2090 on: March 08, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
Just watched both seasons of Frisky Dingo and laughed my ass off the whole time (love Archer so went back and watched this)

Never watched Adult Swim so I imagine there's a bunch of shit I've never seen. (I know he did Sealab as well but I kind of find that 70s animation style depressing now somehow)
___

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #2091 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
Check out Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law
SRY

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2092 on: March 08, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
I love the first few seasons of Sealab until obviously harry goz dies.

Archer is okay to me but I don't like it nearly as much as some people do.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2093 on: March 09, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »
Currently going through the first and only season of Trauma on Netflix.  Mixed feelings...
WTF

cool breeze

« Reply #2094 on: March 09, 2011, 02:10:03 AM »

First season is pretty good. Then the show goes to shit.

At least the first season is like ~20 episodes.  The first three episodes have been good.

The show really highlights how impossible it is to look cool when you wear backpack.  I think that's why most shows in high school don't bother with them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2095 on: March 09, 2011, 02:29:38 AM »
Just watched both seasons of Frisky Dingo and laughed my ass off the whole time (love Archer so went back and watched this)

Never watched Adult Swim so I imagine there's a bunch of shit I've never seen. (I know he did Sealab as well but I kind of find that 70s animation style depressing now somehow)

I've only seen one ep of Sealab, but it was good.
Have you seen The Venture Brothers? It's not as "cobbled together" but it is pretty damned funny. It's a post-Jonny-Quest parody.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #2096 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:37 AM »

I've only seen one ep of Sealab, but it was good.
Have you seen The Venture Brothers? It's not as "cobbled together" but it is pretty damned funny. It's a post-Jonny-Quest parody.

I tried the first couple episodes but just couldn't get into it. Keep hearing good things though and have always wanted to give it another shot.
___

Himu

« Reply #2097 on: March 09, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
WHY THE FUCK HAVEN'T WE GOTTEN A CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN GLADIATORS 2008
IYKYK

« Reply #2098 on: March 09, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
Because it sucked?
野球

Himu

« Reply #2099 on: March 09, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »
Because it sucked?

i am going to kill you
IYKYK