Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082751 times)

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #3660 on: November 26, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »
AHS is amazing.  Even when it's horrible, it's amazing.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #3661 on: November 26, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
wut @ ep7 of Homeland  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
24-esque twist there, but well done (it seems). I have to watch another episode...while the twist can work, it could also lead to some shark jumping
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #3662 on: November 27, 2011, 03:39:18 AM »
AHS went past my humor tolerance for awful. I'd rather watch the show as a collection of clips than go through the plot.

Tasty

« Reply #3663 on: November 27, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
So i gave Community another shot today since it was on tv while I was eating, still awful.

Which ep?

Tasty

« Reply #3664 on: November 27, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
That was one of the worst ones this season. Remedial Chaos Theory, Horror Fiction, and Studies in Modern Movement are the best eps of the season.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3665 on: November 27, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
Walking Dead  :o

dat ending. wow

Tasty

« Reply #3666 on: November 27, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
TWD s2 ep7: 5/5
DRR! ep22: 5/5
T-cats ep13: 3/5

ZephyrFate

« Reply #3667 on: November 28, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »
Walking Dead actually had a proper episode finale. Good enough.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #3668 on: November 28, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
I wish I could muster the enthusiasm to watch The Walking Dead after that horrible first season.
zzzzz

cool breeze

« Reply #3669 on: November 28, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
I wish I could muster the enthusiasm to watch The Walking Dead after that horrible first season.

It isn't worth it.  If you really care, just watch the episode recaps on the website.

First episode of the second season was painfully dull.  Couldn't make it through the second.  Tried again with the finale, but ended up using my computer with it in the background.  The pacing is unbearable.

actually, if you've seen Season 1, it's like that scene with Andrea and her sister on the boat for 40 minutes, and then 3 minutes of something happening.  those 3 minutes are the episode recaps.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:59:00 PM by Linkzg »

etiolate

« Reply #3670 on: December 02, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »
It's nice to have Beavis & Butthead back

The Sex & The City 3 should be Human Centipede idea is awesome

« Reply #3671 on: December 02, 2011, 01:24:02 AM »
my ISP is ignoring their (distinguished mentally-challenged) cap system over the weekend so i'm downloading all the Peep Show i haven't seen (Seasons 5-7).
been a long time since i watched the first four but i know i'm ready to laugh.
thx

« Reply #3672 on: December 02, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »
yeah i suppose they will pick it back up directly from there and mark will mismanage the fall out in hilarious fashion. maybe i should rewatch the last one to refresh the details.
thx

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3673 on: December 02, 2011, 09:57:25 AM »
Always Sunny has been uphill ever since Frank's Brother.

As for The League: "Lasagna? At this time of night?"
Feels like I'm wearing a tiny hat!
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3674 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
The Office was amazing compared to most of the rest of the season, which yeah, made it okay. It would have been better if they hadn't been fucking around with Robert California and Andy like they have been all season. The Jim escape attempt was great. The Dwight stuff about getting rid of Daryl and blacks was like way too far. Creed's slight racism has been funny, Dwight isn't the character you can do that joke with.

Community seemed like a season one episode, especially Jeff and Shirley.

April was channeling The Crucible right? I hope it's not just me.

Dunno if anybody here watches the fun USA junk. Burn Notice had its best episode in ages, and finally made Anson the villain he should have been from the start, shit was hot. As for Psych, I will never get over the idea that Shatner is 80. What is he doing to look like that? Did he like somehow inherit Kirk's genes? Were McCoy's salt shakers actual secret technology?

Boss is LIT-ERALLY the best show on TV. It's not The Wire but it's up there.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3675 on: December 02, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »
I watched a few episodes of Boss but I didn't think it was that good. Kinda ridiculous in a lot of ways. I can't believe you just compared it to The Wire.
AMC

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3676 on: December 02, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Finished watching all of Peep Show. Amazing how this show maintains the hilarious dialog after 7 seasons. Can't wait for the new ones in 2012.
:9

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3677 on: December 02, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »
I discovered that Netflix has the peep show now.  I haven't seen season 6 or 7 so I'm fucking excited.  Last night I started Season 5 again because it's the only season out of the first 5 that I've only seen once. 

Episode 2 of season 5 is so good.  I feel so sorry for Sophie's little brother. 

Jeremy: You made him suck you off, didn't you?
Super Hans: No
Jamie: Yes!
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #3678 on: December 02, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
Also, Sophie Winkleman (Big Suz) is so weird.  Jesus she's incredibly hot in Peep Show but she looks godawful to weird in these pictures.  Maybe she's just not photogenic. 

http://www.sophiewinkleman.com/pictures.html

to this

:drool
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:49:22 PM by Mupepe »

benjipwns

« Reply #3679 on: December 02, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I watched a few episodes of Boss but I didn't think it was that good. Kinda ridiculous in a lot of ways. I can't believe you just compared it to The Wire.
It's getting better and better. They've cut down on the random nudity and sex along with drawing back the "OMG IT'S AN EPISODE OF THE DISORDER" aspects to where it's driven mostly by the politics now. And the wife is awesome. I don't want to disagree they did a ton of stuff early on to try and catch viewers that threatened my Kesley Grammar love, especially since they committed to two seasons from the get go, but it has settled down. Grammar might not even be the best or most relevant part of the show now. Latest episode barely had him in it compared to the first couple that had him in every scene.

And I think the way it handles the politics is easily comparable to The Wire's same. They are two of few shows I can think of that show politics (especially big city politics with their racial dynamics, which for the history wonk I am, Grammar's lecture in the first episode on the unification of the ethnic enclaves into one political machine was gold, and for Chicago especially has been a major ongoing battle to hold down dem uppity blacks from voting the wrong folk in during recent, even post-Reagan decades) as the dirty ignoble business it is. Carcetti, Kane, Davis, Royce, Zajac, Ross, none of these people are heroes. Let alone Josiah Bartlet.

It's not about the rest of the city though, unless it ties into Kane, which is why it's not close as an overall package. But what is? The Wire is about a city that's more or less fallen, Boss is about a man who is in the process of doing so. (And is now becoming about how that impacts the politics of the city.) It's a much tighter scope. If The Wire had focused only on Carcetti and Royce, it probably would have been better than this because of the strength of the team behind it, but it wouldn't be the untouchable best series ever that The Wire is. I see tons of potential in Boss though because it gets lots of stuff right even as it was trying to figure itself out because even The Wire tip-toed around getting full bore into big city politics until the third season. And I'm of the mind that if The Wire doesn't take you over by the fourth episode, as that's when you really should not be able to ever turn away from the masterpiece, there's a real possibility you're a scumbag subhuman. And if you go through six episodes and drop it saying "I don't really like Law & Order type shows" well, there's a special hell for you.

In a lot of ways, the show undersells Chicago politics, like The Wire often made aspects of Baltimore life more palatable. I could write ten seasons about a show set in Flint and nobody would believe it and it'd all be basically true or composite stories.

Sorry about the ramble nobody wanted, don't want to seem like a "defense force" guy for a show nobody watches. :lol I'll rephrase to where it's a Starz version of The Wire's political plotlines that could potentially outdo that one single strain of The Wire. I admit the political aspects are done well enough to where I was overlooking the silly shit early on and now it's getting into just the politics so we're totally going steady. I just can't decide exactly which tracks to put on the mixtape though.
yeah that really took me out of the show. Dwight to me has always been off/misguided but mostly good, now he's racist?
Even Meridith/Angela I'd buy it as poorly done joke and be like haha they're a racist. Even Michael or his stand-in Andy doing it by accident or being unaware gets by. But Dwight was just such a wrong character to do it with. Everything he does is so focused. The idea that getting a black guy to invite whites, that's fine, I can buy that as him failing to understand humans. It was the getting rid of the blacks after part that took it too far.

And it undermined what was otherwise an amusing Dwight plot for me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:54:33 PM by benjipwns »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3680 on: December 02, 2011, 01:51:52 PM »
And I'm of the mind that if The Wire doesn't take you over by the fourth episode, as that's when you really should not be able to ever turn away from the masterpiece, there's a real possibility you're a scumbag subhuman. And if you go through six episodes and drop it saying "I don't really like Law & Order type shows" well, there's a special hell for you.

Thinking of someone at GAF? :lol
AMC

benjipwns

« Reply #3681 on: December 02, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
No, but I do remember that one guy who was really upset about Simon doing a better version of Homicide now that you mention it.

Actually, it's two people I know in real life. One guy watched like two episodes and asked me why people were praising it and after a bit he said something like "I don't really care about those cops and drug dealers shows, it's like none of it matters. And I don't really care for all the drug dealer parts, why are we supposed to care about criminals?" The other is from someone I convinced to watch the first season at least and he stopped halfway through comparing it over and over to Law & Order which he hates apparently only because it's on TNT all the time. One of these people is essentially in a form of urban studies. Let that scare you.

On the plus side, my parents got so into the show they marathoned it over a summer. And it's not really the type of thing my mom would intentionally like with the rampant cursing and violence and such. But she wound up being the one to make my dad watch two or more episodes a night.

EDIT: Uploaded that The Office segment if anyone cares to see it:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 02:14:13 PM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #3682 on: December 02, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
Community, Parks and Recreation and Beavis and Butthead were good. Have to check out Sunny, The League, and The Office on dvr.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3683 on: December 02, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
Sunny and The League were hilarious. I also liked The Office more than the past episodes this season, felt a little wacky.

Himu

« Reply #3684 on: December 02, 2011, 05:08:31 PM »
So what's going on in The Office now? Is Andy the boss or what?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3685 on: December 02, 2011, 05:09:57 PM »
So what's going on in The Office now? Is Andy the boss or what?

Regional Manager? I believe. Robert California is the CEO of the company. The synergy between California and the rest of the office is funny to me but the show is obviously still trying to find its place without Michael Scott.

Himu

« Reply #3686 on: December 02, 2011, 05:11:31 PM »
What's the point of The Office without Michael Scott?

Sigh, I remember when The Office USA was must watch tv every single week. During seasons 2 and 3 it was my favorite show on the networks.
IYKYK

Timber

« Reply #3687 on: December 02, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
And I'm of the mind that if The Wire doesn't take you over by the fourth episode, as that's when you really should not be able to ever turn away from the masterpiece, there's a real possibility you're a scumbag subhuman. And if you go through six episodes and drop it saying "I don't really like Law & Order type shows" well, there's a special hell for you.

Thinking of someone at GAF? :lol

I think he just issued his own kind of fatwa on Salman Rushdie.
w/e

Himu

« Reply #3688 on: December 02, 2011, 05:15:17 PM »
So am I the only one still watching the Chuck Power Hour?

I'm still adjusting to Chuck being on Fridays. Just weird, man. I've missed like two eps, and they refuse to put them on hulu because they're dicks.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #3689 on: December 02, 2011, 05:17:04 PM »
What's the point of The Office without Michael Scott.

That's definitely an issue. A lot of these characters seemed to play off of Michael's awkwardness and created scenarios. As it is now they've moved the spotlight to Andy's awkwardness especially with California around. I think the show would be dead in the water without James Spader, he feels like the disruptive force needed to keep the show interesting.

Himu

« Reply #3690 on: December 02, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
The Saudi would say that. :teehee Did your family put a hit on Rushdie?
IYKYK

Timber

« Reply #3691 on: December 02, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
Salman Rushdie is a hack writer though, so it doesn't matter what his opinion is.

w/e

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3692 on: December 02, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »
He also has a hot wife

oh wait they got divorced years ago whatever
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:27:20 PM by CajoleJuice »
AMC

Himu

« Reply #3693 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
I've never read Rushdie so I don't know if his works are worth getting killed for.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3694 on: December 02, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
Wait, Rushdie isn't banned in Saudi Arabia? Color me shocked. I figured owning Rushdie would be grounds for execution.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3695 on: December 02, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
Goddamn, he likes to play with fire. I like that. Fire shiny. :drool
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3696 on: December 02, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »
People who don't like The Wire typically complain the show is too procedural and hard to follow. They also have problems with drug dealers being major characters which is interesting :teehee

Himu

« Reply #3697 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »
:lol Sunny was so Seinfeld-esque last night :rofl
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #3698 on: December 02, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
People who don't like The Wire typically complain the show is too procedural and hard to follow. They also have problems with drug dealers being major characters which is interesting :teehee
Okay, so I'm not the only one? (Maybe this is a Michigan thing?)

The drug stuff, I admit, I may get too libertarian about that. But I have to admit some people who have plowed through the show say it has changed their perception on drug dealers, they still don't like them, but they start to say things like "maybe medical marijuana isn't all bad" and I know a couple hardcore drug warriors who wondered if something like Hamsterdam could actually work. (They concluded yes, you let it happen and then crack down superhard on the area after a couple weeks. But still baby steps I suppose.)

I don't really want to speak for my parents, but they have both indicated a few instances post-The Wire where they have been less accepting of the war as they had been a few years before and seem to now not even care about medical marijuana. I think it's a hands-off thing for a lot of people, but something like "WHERE'S WALLACE?!?" can have an impact many people would never consider before.

I've actually seen some of the school based episodes used by faculty here but it wasn't in the fields that could learn from it (education for example) that I could tell. I realized it because it was next door and I'd hear the renditions of "way down in the hole"  :lol
That's definitely an issue. A lot of these characters seemed to play off of Michael's awkwardness and created scenarios. As it is now they've moved the spotlight to Andy's awkwardness especially with California around. I think the show would be dead in the water without James Spader, he feels like the disruptive force needed to keep the show interesting.
I think it's the most important issue. Andy stinks. And they've had how many episodes where he either A.) Tries to win over the office or B.) win over James Spader. Solve one or the other already! Why not make him a semi-successful over his head boss of the office that lets Stanley and Jim and co bring in their numbers, but Robert California comes in every so often? You could still let Andy try to replace Michael Scott (which barely made sense) and find his footing, but also work against Robert's wacky schemes along with the occasional Dwight does this or Jim and Pam do that episodes.

Instead they're like this episode means Andy tries to win over Robert, this one he tries to win over the staff, this one it's Daryl, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT

I like the show, it's great for prep as you don't have to pay attention really, but it's not like they don't have established characters, why keep going back to the same three Andy stories? I think after how many years he's been around we can "accept" Andy as the boss and move on.
:lol Sunny was so Seinfeld-esque last night :rofl
When Frank was the only one not there I knew it had to be the bomb threat.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 07:19:59 PM by benjipwns »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3699 on: December 02, 2011, 07:21:24 PM »
Have your parents seen The Sopranos, and if so did they like it. Hence my :teehee because I've run into many stories about some white people utterly hating The Wire due to the drug dealing grey characters while loving The Sopranos and other mafia related shit.

Where are you in Michigan breh

benjipwns

« Reply #3700 on: December 02, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
From Flint, Lansing area most of my relevant life, almost all of the family still in Flint though. They haven't seen The Sopranos that I'm aware of, and honestly I haven't either as I was waiting for it to end and then got distracted by so much else.

We're white btw, I don't want to confuse anything, though from my experience that's not a great thing in Flint in any case, most minorities I knew booked out like my mom and it's a lot of white trash more or less. I've felt safer in Detroit where there weren't any trees at night than any time of the day in Flint with white people all over.

My mom hated what happens to all the "kids" in The Wire basically. She grew up with people and knew people who ended up like that, hell, our family has stuff like that, but it was one of those situations where you're emphasizing with the character but pulling other stuff in. A few years later and that would be her life kind of thing as she raised her brothers and sisters, etc. She's kinda big on family though, I had to convince her that a girl we hadn't seen for years who was not born nor adopted to anyone in the family and ran away that when she came back pregnant and drug addicted did not necessarily need a birthday and Christmas present. (Yes, I'm heartless. Yes, she got both. And yes she only showed up once ever again.)

I can see where aspects of white people hate the show. One of the people I suggested it to, who hates it, is like epic white, private schools, etc. He hates it. Yet, he went to a private college in the Baltimore area for years and will mention how he didn't take public transportation incase he wound up in the "bad areas" and I'm like "this was all happening down the street from you!" (So was Ace of Cakes to be fair!) I know people in Flint who hate it too. I don't get it, they do the same shit. One guy I knew did "recognize" with the second season so they have that...

Guess I don't get it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3701 on: December 02, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
Yea, Flint is easily the scariest place I've ever been. To me, Detroit is fine overall. As long as you aren't walking around where you're not supposed to be, you'll be fine. Anything can pop of at any time in Flint.

The Wire is definitely too realistic for some, to a point where they cannot stand it; even serious shows are often entertaining, so a show that prides itself on such drastic realism is bound to rub people the wrong way. I've been waiting for ages for my parents to get to S4. I remember my dad was VERY bummed about..

S1 spoiler:
Wallace getting killed
[close]
S4 takes that stuff to new heights. And having grown up in Detroit and seeing the city go from a middle classic haven until the drug explosion of the mid 70s and 80s, I'm sure the season will hit close to home for them, especially my mom.  I'm verious curious to get their reactions. Right now my dad is loving S3, although I have a feeling he'll be bummed again by the last couple episodes

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #3702 on: December 02, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
you type a lot, benji
AMC

benjipwns

« Reply #3703 on: December 04, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »
you type a lot, benji
haha, yeah sorry folks, been doing this stupid other shit last week or so and rambling about irrelevant topics on the internet is a semi-release and I'll claim it keeps the brain working
Yea, Flint is easily the scariest place I've ever been. To me, Detroit is fine overall. As long as you aren't walking around where you're not supposed to be, you'll be fine. Anything can pop of at any time in Flint.
People in Flint, and I mean "normal" residents, swim in the Flint River for recreation. And they see nothing wrong with it even though they basically all know someone who got stabbed with some piece of rebar in the river. Not to mention what else is in that river. That city destroyed itself, Detroit at the very least had the destruction of Black Bottom, the race riots, years of government corruption to help out.
Is it me or is the house in American Horror Story the same as the house in Charmed?
Based on the GIS result for American Horror Story, no, the Charmed one is all squarish, right angles.

On-Topic:
Boss took it up another notch again. Show has ditched like everything wrong with the first few episodes. The last 20 minutes of this episode was truly up there in terms of all the plots coming to a head and Kane showing what his wrath actually looks like.

"Watched" a few Simpsons episodes from this season that somebody said were good while playing games. One was alright, none of them are particularly funny anymore but sometimes one or two a season has a good enough plot or a good segment. "The Book Job" was like that. I did laugh at sad Homer in "The Food Wife" which wasn't recommended but had crappy cameos of people I like. They should have Neil Gaiman write episodes.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #3704 on: December 04, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
This season of Dexter is God-tier trash TV.
hi5

etiolate

« Reply #3705 on: December 05, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
I gave up after the third episode this season. What are they doing now?

Himu

« Reply #3706 on: December 05, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
Is Dexter going to be a "believer" by the end of the season? The typical "haha non-believer will see the power of God!" storyline? To make matters more interesting you have a serial killer as an atheist. lol
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #3707 on: December 05, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
If my feel for Dexter's writing is correct, they probably dropped the religion story like a chopped up body in the ocean but bring it back out of nowhere in a later episode via a special ghost character.

Himu

« Reply #3708 on: December 05, 2011, 12:39:09 AM »
i heard religion is a big part of the season though. bet you they'll make dexter believe in god by the end of the season and this will help cure his ills. it's such a cliche'.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #3709 on: December 05, 2011, 12:43:10 AM »
If they wanted to cure his ills then they could have kept his family around since that actually fits in with his character. The religion thing is I don't know what.

Beezy

« Reply #3710 on: December 05, 2011, 03:17:09 AM »
i heard religion is a big part of the season though. bet you they'll make dexter believe in god by the end of the season and this will help cure his ills. it's such a cliche'.
nope

Timber

« Reply #3711 on: December 05, 2011, 06:38:31 AM »
Anyone here watch Boardwalk Empire? It's been so good lately. Gonna download last night's episode and watch it later today. Stoked  8)
w/e

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #3712 on: December 05, 2011, 08:01:51 AM »
Anyone here watch Boardwalk Empire? It's been so good lately. Gonna download last night's episode and watch it later today. Stoked  8)

Get ready for a confused boner. :teehee
(|)

Timber

« Reply #3713 on: December 05, 2011, 09:32:41 AM »
I've seen the first episode, which was great. But I'm trying to muster up the enthusiasm to watch the rest of the episodes  :lol

Some (most?) people weren't completely sold on the first season, so if you ever end up watching it be prepared for a slow burn or a bit of an investment. The pay-off is so worth it, though. S2 has been killing it.

That's my preferred kind of boner!
w/e

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #3714 on: December 05, 2011, 02:13:21 PM »

Nothing confusing about the boner I got :drool :drool :drool
Drunk

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #3715 on: December 05, 2011, 02:36:26 PM »
I'll try to watch S1's finale tonight. I just never got around to watching it. The season was so uneven, meh. It's a show with no interesting characters; I liked Young Capone though.

« Reply #3716 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »

My wife and I do, but haven't watched in a while. I think we have six or seven episodes sitting on the DVR waiting to be watched.
野球

Timber

« Reply #3717 on: December 05, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
My wife and I do, but haven't watched in a while. I think we have six or seven episodes sitting on the DVR waiting to be watched.

Those episodes all range from good to excellent.

I'm watching yesterday's ep right now - paused to get some coffee. I get the feeling that these flashback scenes are going to a strange place.
w/e

Timber

« Reply #3718 on: December 05, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
YUP OKAY
w/e

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #3719 on: December 05, 2011, 03:50:06 PM »
 :lol Let me know if vomit and/or tears make for good lube.

My brain says no, but my genitals say yes.
(|)