Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082668 times)

ZephyrFate

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5520 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:42 PM »
they should go at it with their bbc out

etiolate

« Reply #5521 on: July 06, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Marathoning Girls.  The first episode can serve as a kind of barrier to entry, as the sense of privilege can really undercut your ability to empathize with the main character.  I imagine the show is very difficult to stomache for people my age that are in situations far, far worse then anything that will ever happen to the characters on the show.  That being said, its genuinely funny.  I'm trying to watch the third season of eastbound and down as well and I can barely stomache it after watching an episode of girls, which just has so much more work put in to its comedy.

The privilege issue didn't bother me as much, considering it is a real situation for post-college americans. I just didn't find it funny. I watched two episodes and was bored senseless. The actor that is acting like Michael Cera doesn't help.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5522 on: July 07, 2012, 01:44:47 AM »
Been watching some South Park. Watched Guitar Queer-O and Major Boobage tonight.
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5523 on: July 07, 2012, 02:55:37 AM »
Mad Men...

I'm moving back towards the Betty Defense Force brehs. This school teacher shit...come on. And now Betty just found out about Don's previous marriage, shit is about to hit the fan

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5524 on: July 08, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »

Pilkington

:bow2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5525 on: July 08, 2012, 03:58:31 AM »
Gypsy and a Hobo...wow, amazing episode of Mad Men...

"..and who are you supposed to be?"

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5526 on: July 08, 2012, 04:05:54 AM »
I wish I could go back in time and warn some of these dumbasses about their poor choices. God dammit doctor guy married to Joan, DO NOT join the fucking army in 1963

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5527 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »
I wish I could go back in time and warn some of these dumbasses about their poor choices. God dammit doctor guy married to Joan, DO NOT join the fucking army in 1963

It pays off in the long run (last season).

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5528 on: July 08, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »
I finished watching the first six seasons of American Dad and it was pretty good.

I also got to see the first five episodes of Girls courtesy of a friend who got it from the internet store.  This show rubbed me the wrong way but I kept watching anyway because of the praise I've read here.  Then I read the Wikipedia article where the creator said that it was inspired from Sex and the City.  Then it clicked, much like Entourage and Californication in the sense that this show probably isn't meant for me and I probably will never like it.  So I'll probably just stop here.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:34:23 PM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5529 on: July 09, 2012, 02:51:26 AM »
That's how I felt about Girls as well.

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #5530 on: July 09, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
This season of True Blood has been pretty fucking awesome! can't wait for next week :hyper
Drunk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #5531 on: July 10, 2012, 01:28:31 AM »
This season of True Blood has been pretty fucking awesome! can't wait for next week :hyper

I just started watching; it seems OK. My sister is telling me I need to go back and watch the first couple seasons.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5532 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »
Newsroom is becoming more and more disappointing.

Himu

« Reply #5533 on: July 11, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
newsroom sucks
IYKYK

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #5534 on: July 11, 2012, 12:17:00 AM »
Currently Watching Season 4 of Breaking Bad... this show is awesome. Especially the end of Season 3 :)
UNF

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5535 on: July 11, 2012, 12:17:09 AM »
newsroom sucks

It just became too preachy for me and the women in it, remember when I had that rant about hysterics and how most of the Wire women didn't have that shit? Welp not Newsroom.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5536 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:18 AM »
Speaking of which Devo, another thing The Wire doesn't have: gay characters who are defined by their homosexuality. Omar, Khema, and the other gay characters act rather "normal" if you will, and while their sexuality is on display multiple times they never feel forced or like caricatures. Most gay characters on television today boil down to rather specific stereotypes, especially the witty flaming queen. It seems like 70% of all big comedy shows have at least one of these male characters. I haven't watched Happy Endings but Zeph has mentioned many times that the gay character on the show is the antithesis of this. He's clearly gay and nothing is hidden, but he isn't a stereotype.

Himu

« Reply #5537 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
I love that about The Wire as well. I especially enjoy how popular Omar is despite his homosexuality.
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5538 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:07 AM »
Speaking of which Devo, another thing The Wire doesn't have: gay characters who are defined by their homosexuality. Omar, Khema, and the other gay characters act rather "normal" if you will, and while their sexuality is on display multiple times they never feel forced or like caricatures. Most gay characters on television today boil down to rather specific stereotypes, especially the witty flaming queen. It seems like 70% of all big comedy shows have at least one of these male characters. I haven't watched Happy Endings but Zeph has mentioned many times that the gay character on the show is the antithesis of this. He's clearly gay and nothing is hidden, but he isn't a stereotype.

Exactly. People just aren't defined by gender, race or sexuality tropes in that show. They are who they are. Everything else is secondary. And the only time his homosexuality comes into play is because of the obvious gangster insecurities about "feggits." In that way it's realistic and not a way to single him out.

In Newsroom the women are basically professional up until the point the relationship drama intertwines with work and it just gets to be too much. Mortimer is on point as a producer, then turns into a whiny idiot who has to throw herself under a moving train to prove to people Daniels character isn't an asshole. It's just awful.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5539 on: July 11, 2012, 12:29:08 AM »
While I haven't seen Newsroom, there really hasn't been anything from Aaron Sorkin that I've liked.

Edit: I take that back kind of.  West Wing was hit and miss to me so I can't say there hasn't been anything from Sorkin that I liked.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 12:35:10 AM by The Experiment »
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #5540 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:53 AM »
sorkin is ridiculous. he makes a tv show about news politics and the news media, and like studio 60, shoehorns a shitty romance sub-plot into the mix. why? i don't know. but after three eps I've dropped it.
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5541 on: July 11, 2012, 01:20:41 AM »
sorkin is ridiculous. he makes a tv show about news politics and the news media, and like studio 60, shoehorns a shitty romance sub-plot into the mix. why? i don't know. but after three eps I've dropped it.

Yup. 2 actually.

Kabouter

« Reply #5542 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:33 AM »
I still haven't watched the third episode of the Newsroom, such a disappointing show. Started watching Borgen instead, which is so good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgen_%28TV_series%29

Himu

« Reply #5543 on: July 11, 2012, 01:37:52 AM »
He puts romance in like 20 minutes into the first episode. No one wants to watch this show for romance. NO ONE. Especially when they hyped it to be about the news media and SOUND THE ALARMS AMERICA HAS FALLEN
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5544 on: July 11, 2012, 01:46:54 AM »
He puts romance in like 20 minutes into the first episode. No one wants to watch this show for romance. NO ONE. Especially when they hyped it to be about the news media and SOUND THE ALARMS AMERICA HAS FALLEN

That scene was so hard for me to sit through. It just droned on and on.

Kabouter

« Reply #5545 on: July 11, 2012, 01:52:52 AM »
They already lost me when the main character went into that 'OH MY GOD AMERICA USED TO BE SO FUCKING AMAZING' part of his rant, because I knew there's no way Sorkin wrote a show where the main character is intentionally ironically symptomatic of the problems he tries to fight. It's the same problem I have with the film God Bless America really.

Himu

« Reply #5546 on: July 11, 2012, 01:54:40 AM »
AMERICA USED TO BE THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND A FINE EXAMPLE OF FREEDOM AND PROSPERITY

JIM CROW, INTERNMENT CAMPS, RACISM I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5547 on: July 11, 2012, 01:58:05 AM »
AMERICA USED TO BE THE BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD AND A FINE EXAMPLE OF FREEDOM AND PROSPERITY

JIM CROW, INTERNMENT CAMPS, RACISM I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT

Yeah that part was really white man privilege moment as much as some people loved his spiel. I was like we used to fight for things? Sicking dogs on civil rights marchers? Attacking feminists? Erm ok.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5548 on: July 11, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »

Omar has to act tough to survive the line of work he's in. He doesn't hide his sexuality, but I feel that it's not because of pride but because he doesn't want to keep secrets that others can blackmail him with. He may as well own it.

I think the Sopranos did a better job of showing the gay double life of a criminal. Where a Capo who's also a great family man gets completely ostracized by his relatives/associates just because he likes dicks. And liking dicks isn't acceptable in a male-dominated crime organization.

I love that about The Wire as well. I especially enjoy how popular Omar is despite his homosexuality.

With the characters or the fans? He scares all the other characters obviously. He's like the gay version of Brother Muzone.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5549 on: July 11, 2012, 02:10:39 AM »
Eh they're completely different. First off, who's going to blackmail Omar and what would even be the point even if he was closeted? He's still a guy who robs drug dealers, he has more important things to worry about than who knows he's gay. If anything, it makes him more dangerous and effective, given how much the various characters feel unmanned by him - they're not only being robbed, they're being robbed by an openly gay man.

Whereas in The Sopranos, Vito was actually a member of an organization and not a criminal loner playing by his own rules.

Himu

« Reply #5550 on: July 11, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »
With the characters or the fans? He scares all the other characters obviously. He's like the gay version of Brother Muzone.

Fans obviously.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5551 on: July 11, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
Eh they're completely different. First off, who's going to blackmail Omar and what would even be the point even if he was closeted? He's still a guy who robs drug dealers, he has more important things to worry about than who knows he's gay. If anything, it makes him more dangerous and effective, given how much the various characters feel unmanned by him - they're not only being robbed, they're being robbed by an openly gay man.

Whereas in The Sopranos, Vito was actually a member of an organization and not a criminal loner playing by his own rules.

I'm talking about before he developed a reputation. Hell probably before he even really got into drug dealing. He would know that keeping it a secret is a bad idea since obviously you can't keep something like sexuality a secret (unless you have a fake gf/wife).

Vito tried to act like a "respectable" member of the organization and hide his love for leather clubs and Johnnycakes. For him, he was hiding his true feelings by acting as the opposite stereotype. There's no reason to hide being gay until you're actually involved with a criminal organization.

Obviously, that's why Marlo ordered Snoop, Chris, and Michael to shoot everybody in that one house because one of them called him gay. Omar wouldn't give a shit, but somebody like Marlo would have to (even if he's not gay).

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5552 on: July 11, 2012, 02:40:25 AM »
But there's no evidence Omar was ever a part of any organization; so keeping it secret or being open was ultimately irrelevant to him from the beginning. His homosexuality only made him even more notorious, it didn't stop people from working with him or gangsters from fearing him.

Whereas Marlo and other gangsters were more concerned about what the streets were saying, and the perception of power as well as actual power. Reminds me of that Varys speech in Game Of Thrones tbh...
(major spoilers obviously)

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5553 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:04 AM »

I'm talking about before he developed a reputation. Hell probably before he even really got into drug dealing. He would know that keeping it a secret is a bad idea since obviously you can't keep something like sexuality a secret (unless you have a fake gf/wife).

Vito tried to act like a "respectable" member of the organization and hide his love for leather clubs and Johnnycakes. For him, he was hiding his true feelings by acting as the opposite stereotype. There's no reason to hide being gay until you're actually involved with a criminal organization.

Obviously, that's why Marlo ordered Snoop, Chris, and Michael to shoot everybody in that one house because one of them called him gay. Omar wouldn't give a shit, but somebody like Marlo would have to (even if he's not gay).

I don't even know the point of this argument anymore.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5554 on: July 11, 2012, 03:11:42 AM »
But there's no evidence Omar was ever a part of any organization; so keeping it secret or being open was ultimately irrelevant to him from the beginning. His homosexuality only made him even more notorious, it didn't stop people from working with him or gangsters from fearing him.

Whereas Marlo and other gangsters were more concerned about what the streets were saying, and the perception of power as well as actual power. Reminds me of that Varys speech in Game Of Thrones tbh...
(major spoilers obviously)

Being gay and hiding it won't change what people think of your capabilities as a leader/thug so much as it will make people question how much they should trust you. Like with Vito, someone like Tony just thought it was disgusting but didn't care "since he was a good earner" while others lower in the organization promised to murder him. The biggest threat to a criminal organization is a snitch, and hiding major parts of your identity obviously makes people think you're less trustworthy.

That's probably why Marlo has to acknowledge it anytime somebody says that he's gay. He can't just act indifferent about it or else people will start wondering when he'll accept a plea bargain.

For Omar, he never really worked in any organizations so it doesn't matter how much people trust him.

I don't even know the point of this argument anymore.

My point is that for the sake of survival, different gay criminals will be on opposite sides of the closet. Omar is an example where being gay is not that big a deal. It's probably taboo to be gay in that type of neighborhood but it doesn't actually affect his livelihood.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5555 on: July 11, 2012, 03:19:20 AM »
So yea...that's been my point since the beginning. Since Omar was never a part of some criminal organization, his homosexuality was not a road block to success. He ran with some stick up men who weren't into his gay shit, but they were in it purely for the money

that dude is clearly not comfortable lol

As with seeing a psychiatrist, being homosexual in the mafia would be a breach of confidence. It also would break moral opinions and the general masculinity image propagated by each crew, to the point where the mere association with a gay member would ruin your reputation. So yea, that shit had to be dealt with.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5556 on: July 11, 2012, 07:33:34 AM »
Marlo was self-obsessed with how others viewed him and his position from any perspective. Any slight sent him into overdrive. That's why when he gets out of jail, with his empire in ruins, he picks shit with some new corner kids with nothing to gain. MY NAME IS MY NAME.

Even Chris and Snoop show that they question these kind of irrational fits Marlo pulls. And they, along with others in the organization, try to keep it from him.

Omar had a self-confidence and righteousness to the point that he could have been straight and "Omar comin!" would have brought the same effect. They were afraid of him even after he was crippled because he wasn't your standard banger but did Batman style planning and execution. It's better to make him go away than fight him.

Anyway...

Episodes ended great, hope it gets another season. (Will probably have to wait for the U.S. ratings on that.)

White Collar had a top notch premiere :punch.

Covert Affairs... :wtf

Found out I somehow missed two The Finder episodes, so yay, before sadness that it's never coming back and that Finale is never getting explained.

Nobody probably watches MasterChef but this guy Tali who was on it, I need him to have a regular show.

I know we have some Celeb Apprentice fans, apparently next season might be an All-Star season. Bringing back winners and losers from past seasons.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:35:35 AM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #5557 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:39 PM »
I ordered all 4 discs of Breaking Bad s4 from Netflix so I can marathon it and watch s5 on Sunday, and this shit does not have English subtitles. You cunt mother fuckers. THIS is why people pirate. Holy shit. The hilarious thing is that the discs have French and Spanish subtitles. Holy fucking shit. I am ANGRY.
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5558 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that likes subtitles.  I always have them on if I can and get somewhat miffed if a TV show or movie doesn't.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #5559 on: July 13, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »
I have hearing loss. I don't use subtitles because I 'like' them.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #5560 on: July 13, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
they don't even include english subtitles for a lot of ken loach films, those fucking cunts. including english subs should be mandatory for all dvd/bluray release, regardless of the language spoken.

Himu

« Reply #5561 on: July 13, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »
Yo, dled sub files from subscene.com

Loaded em up in mpc. Works like a charm.

Suck my dick Hollywood. The legitimate illegal route, cunt fucks.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5562 on: July 13, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Holy shit. Breaking Bad s4 is a huge step up from past seasons already. Box Cutter was RIDICULOUS in terms of cinematography, effects, editing, tension, and acting. Goddamn, BRINGIN' IT.

IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5563 on: July 13, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
S3>S4

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5564 on: July 13, 2012, 11:25:48 PM »
holy fuck @ the second ep of Louie S3  :lol :lol :lol

I last half of that ep might be the funniest thing I've seen in years

etiolate

« Reply #5565 on: July 14, 2012, 02:53:19 AM »
Another good Wilfred episode. People watch this pls.

It's a man in a dog suit fellating himself by licking the crotch of a voodoo doll of himself.

WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT

Himu

« Reply #5566 on: July 14, 2012, 02:55:30 AM »
Wilfred was not good. Show is played out. Should have ended in season 1. Another American tv show that overstays its welcome.

Louie however was amazing.
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #5567 on: July 14, 2012, 03:05:17 AM »
himu pls

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5568 on: July 14, 2012, 04:26:14 AM »
Himu shut the fuck up

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5569 on: July 14, 2012, 08:59:49 AM »
Wilfred was not good. Show is played out. Should have ended in season 1. Another American tv show that overstays its welcome.

Louie however was amazing.

wilfred is horrible

Tonya

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5570 on: July 14, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »
holy fuck @ the second ep of Louie S3  :lol :lol :lol

I last half of that ep might be the funniest thing I've seen in years

rape isn't funny bro :wag

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #5571 on: July 14, 2012, 10:01:04 AM »
The Eric Andre show is amazing

Tonya

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5572 on: July 14, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
If Wilfred had ended with the finale from last season I wouldn't have minded really.

I may or may not be saying this to try and justify the same line of thinking for The Finder.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5573 on: July 15, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
Good ep of Breaking Bad, but not amazing. Didn't like the magnet shit...come on

Freyj

« Reply #5574 on: July 16, 2012, 12:25:33 AM »
Good ep of Breaking Bad, but not amazing. Didn't like the magnet shit...come on

How about SMALL TOWN SECURITY SUNDAYS AFTER BREAKING BAD STAY TUNED FOR A SNEAK PREVIEW OF THE WALKING DEAD DURING COMMERCIAL BREAK #14.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5575 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »
AMC is so boned once Breaking Bad and Mad Men end  :lol

Outside of Walking Dead, they won't have anything. And given how stingy they are, I'd imagine many showrunners will be avoiding them in the future.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5576 on: July 16, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
Yeah BB was good but I feel like after having watched Homeland my standard of future TV seasons has been raised.

Season 2 of Homeland is gonna kick the fucking shit out of 2012.

etiolate

« Reply #5577 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:08 AM »
Or it could bomb out the way 24 did for me after its first couple of seasons

The amnesia angle worries me greatly.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5578 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:40 AM »
Etiolate is right. I have some major concerns about Homeland S2. It could be amazing or it could be a complete fail

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5579 on: July 16, 2012, 02:58:28 AM »
black dynamite the show is fucking

awesome

i love black people