Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082683 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #6120 on: October 26, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
The eps I've seen of Happy Endings were funny, and I went in not knowing what it was about/middle of season one. I'll have to watch it all soon

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6121 on: October 26, 2012, 08:29:43 PM »
I will also vouch for Happy Endings. I also like all of the main characters on the show, which is rare for me in an ensemble show like this. There are usually at least one or two characters that I can't stand.
They've really worked on Alex and Dave, who have become so absurd as to be hilarious.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6122 on: October 27, 2012, 02:31:01 PM »
Homeland
spoiler (click to show/hide)
That ep gave me so many 24 vibes lol

Still, the end was pretty ballsy. Can't wait to see where this goes; it almost seems like the show has shot it's load too early. I'm guessing Estes talked to Carrie, and she agreed to set Brody up? Seemed like Saul wasn't in on the plan
[close]

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6123 on: October 27, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Homeland

Still, the end was pretty ballsy. Can't wait to see where this goes; it almost seems like the show has shot it's load too early. I'm guessing Estes talked to Carrie, and she agreed to set Brody up? Seemed like Saul wasn't in on the plan
[close]

My impression was that confronting Brody took a psychological toll on Carrie and results in her having a paranoid fit of sorts.  All of a sudden she is "sure" that Brody has figured everything out even though the guys on surveillence see nothing to indicate this.  When Brody is alone in the hotel room he just kinds of slinks on to the bed, he doesn't call his contact up as he would if he was suspicious.  It was all in her head.  She then pulls the trigger on her own because she's panicked.  My sense is that she might have really blown things in the long run by doing this.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6124 on: October 27, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
Homeland

[close]

My impression was that confronting Brody took a psychological toll on Carrie and results in her having a paranoid fit of sorts.  All of a sudden she is "sure" that Brody has figured everything out even though the guys on surveillence see nothing to indicate this.  When Brody is alone in the hotel room he just kinds of slinks on to the bed, he doesn't call his contact up as he would if he was suspicious.  It was all in her head.  She then pulls the trigger on her own because she's panicked.  My sense is that she might have really blown things in the long run by doing this.
[close]

As a viewer I got the impression Brody saw through her when she appeared rattled about the shock therapy. And in terms of what Carrie is doing, earlier in the episode she admitted she wanted to "tear the bark off" Brody. She's out for revenge, and I think it may be clouding her judgement - which is typically more long term than her actions in that episode. I also thinks she believes she can "break" Brody and thus get Nazir. She seems delusional in that regard.

Estes didn't sound comfortable letting Brody continue to pal around Walden. All through the series he has put his own job/advancement over everything else, so it wouldn't be surprising if he decided to pull the trigger ASAP; that's why I believe he may have come to some agreement with Carrie. I really see no other reason for a bunch of CIA agents to bust into his room and arrest him unless someone high up gave the order - and it clearly wasn't Saul.
[close]

etiolate

« Reply #6125 on: October 27, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »
Homeland TALK

Estes is still screwed by Brody getting bagnapped, because it hurts Walden's campaign even if they cover it up. Walden wanted Brody's PR to push him into office.

I wonder now if they decide to turn Brody double agent or just beat information out of him?

I have a feeling they will delay the answer to that for an episode and the next episode will be about fallout and Carrie's psyche.
[close]

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #6126 on: October 27, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »
Don't care lol
[close]
But Vegas 6 mins in, is just hilariously entertaining.
[close]
I could seriously imagine Chiklis as a Scientology member.
:{]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6127 on: October 27, 2012, 06:37:48 PM »
Put me in the "Happy Endings is great" group. I hated it at first but after watching it from the beginning on Eric P's instruction I've become a fan.
Yo momma so fat, she died!

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #6128 on: October 28, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
Fringe.  :'(

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6129 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:42 AM »
I'm watching Terriers, how come nobody told me about this show before?*

* -
[close]

I finished Terriers and wow, what a great show.  It deserved better! :gloomy

I'm now watching Sons of Anarchy.  I heard the first season is good but falls apart from there.  We'll see.

I lied, I've been watching Nip/Tuck instead.

Now back when it was on, I watched maybe the 4th and 5th seasons.  Right now I'm halfway through the fourth season.  I thought the show was pretty decent but it seemed like at the third season, they just kind of said "Fuck it" and took the show off the rails into all kinds of ridiculous shit.  For a while, when there was a big twist, I'd say "oh shit!" but when it happens every episode, it kind of loses the effect.

Oh well, it's a decent watch anyway.
🍆🍆

Timber

« Reply #6130 on: October 28, 2012, 08:34:46 AM »
:bow Malcolm F. Tucker :bow2
w/e

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6131 on: October 28, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
Anyone watch Suits? It's garbage but I'm strangely addicted to it. As someone said on twitter, Harvey Specter is the Jack Bauer of talking
vjj

Timber

« Reply #6132 on: October 28, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

Best thing on tv.
w/e

etiolate

« Reply #6133 on: October 28, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
that was awesome

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #6134 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
ASH Asylum is so fucking good.  I was kind of let down by the first episode but man, this second one is the same good crazy stuff.  I could do without the "modern day" intros though.

Arrow is still good?  Even when they bring in a goofy villain like Deadshot (they lose his outfit but keep his wrist guns which i thought was a nice touch).
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #6135 on: October 29, 2012, 10:05:44 AM »
Walking Dead is almost a totally different show now. A good one.
sup

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6136 on: October 29, 2012, 04:11:30 PM »
Best Homeland episode yet, better than "The Weekend" from last year.

TWD was meh, Michonne following the "how little can black characters say on this show" trope and pushing it further, and the show only sinks further when people actually talk.

FatalT

« Reply #6137 on: October 29, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
I now have all the comics up to the latest one for The Walking Dead and I'm almost all caught up with the TV show. I'm really enjoying it (although season 2 of the show is soooo slow). I haven't started playing the game yet but I have all the episodes on the PS3 and PC. The 100th issue of the comic had multiple covers from different artists and I picked Todd McFarlane's. It's pretty sweet (bottom left). The first compendium is issues #1-48 and the second compendium is issues #49-96.

[close]

Spoiler tagged because the latest issue (#103) has a main character about to be brained with a baseball bat on the front cover.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:05:34 PM by FatalT »

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #6138 on: October 29, 2012, 07:21:09 PM »
Why on Earth didn't they round it off to a nice 50 issues per compendium? Makes my OCD flare up.  >:(
WDW

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6139 on: October 29, 2012, 07:23:49 PM »
Why on Earth didn't they round it off to a nice 50 issues per compendium? Makes my OCD flare up.  >:(

12 issues per year
so it's 4 years worth as opposed to 4.2
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6140 on: October 29, 2012, 11:15:24 PM »
Anyone watch Suits? It's garbage but I'm strangely addicted to it. As someone said on twitter, Harvey Specter is the Jack Bauer of talking

I've seen a few episodes here and there. It definitely isn't good but it's somewhat charismatic for lack of a better word. So I can see how you can get addicted to it.

Harvey has style for days, that's really the appeal.  Like Dexter, the lead character is really the only reason to watch. I could give a fuck about Mike and Rachel or the case of the week.

It is one of the worst abusers of the following TV hack trope:

IN THE THIRD ACT:
Character 1 is wrestling with a mystery (usually a thorny legal case here...). In the middle of a casual conversation with another character about an unrelated matter, Character 2 drops some cliche like 'Well, I guess you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater!'. Character 1 then spazzes out, usually thanks 2 effusively (Rachel, you're a GENIUS! Dinner is on me!') and runs off, having unlocked the entire mystery (like how the police forgot to check the bathwater the dead guy was in for poison or some shit) thanks to that one super-obvious statement.

I need some shorthand for the above because I swear to fucking GOD, it appears in every single ep.

vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6141 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »
Walking Dead is almost a totally different show now. A good one.

Yup. Really liked that ep; nice change of pace. At first I was like "god dammit" when I realized it wouldn't focus on the "main" story, but it turned out to be even more interesting

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #6142 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26:46 PM »

Harvey has style for days, that's really the appeal.  Like Dexter, the lead character is really the only reason to watch. I could give a fuck about Mike and Rachel or the case of the week.

IN THE THIRD ACT:
Character 1 is wrestling with a mystery (usually a thorny legal case here...). In the middle of a casual conversation with another character about an unrelated matter, Character 2 drops some cliche like 'Well, I guess you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater!'. Character 1 then spazzes out, usually thanks 2 effusively (Rachel, you're a GENIUS! Dinner is on me!') and runs off, having unlocked the entire mystery (like how the police forgot to check the bathwater the dead guy was in for poison or some shit) thanks to that one super-obvious statement.

I need some shorthand for the above because I swear to fucking GOD, it appears in every single ep.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EurekaMoment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Suits  Ctrl+F "EurekaMoment"
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:28:52 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6143 on: October 29, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »

IN THE THIRD ACT:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EurekaMoment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/Suits  Ctrl+F "EurekaMoment"

perfect, thanks
vjj

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #6144 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:39 AM »
Best thing on tv.

I think the only big kicker was how completely watered down Malcolm has become (outside his "chinless Aliens" rant and the Star Wars bit) - though the rise of Olly as the guttersnipe replacement all fits in well with how things have actually changed.

Peter was absolutely amazing this season though - easily the funniest character by far. His fights with Stewart were fantastic.

"Fuck you all up the wrong 'un!"
O=X

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6145 on: October 30, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »
Homeland....wow. This show delivers. My prediction from this point on is that:

Brody starts working as a double-double agent against Nazir. The only way for him to stay in politics/public life is if the CIA sees him as a more useful asset that way. I can't see him ever becoming the VP but this show has so many tricks up it's sleeves that it's hard to say.
[close]

Dexter also delivered. This season is the best one in quite a while.

Boardwalk Empire was a bit boring. Other than Richard Harrow always being awesome and Gyp getting ready to do something big.

This season of Treme has more substance than last season. I like how they're showing the political/cultural changes New Orleans went through after Katrina. Does have those typical David Simon soap box moments though where the characters explain how wrong greed and corruption are.

Downton Abbey went way beyond my expectations with Thomas being snitched on. That's far more interesting than Lord Granthem and Mr. Crowley playing real estate games.

Best Homeland episode yet, better than "The Weekend" from last year.

TWD was meh, Michonne following the "how little can black characters say on this show" trope and pushing it further, and the show only sinks further when people actually talk.

I think it fits her character to not waste time making chit-chat. Especially with a group of people who just kidnapped them at gunpoint and are trying to get them to stay no matter how many times she says she wants her weapons.

I do wonder why such a cold-blooded group would even save somebody like Merle. Unless it's like with the pilot, they only save people who can lead them to a larger group of survivors.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6146 on: October 30, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
She literally scowled the whole episode. She's clearly a concept, not an actual character, at this point; to be fair, that's exactly what Michonne is in the comics, too.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6147 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:35 AM »
meh, I know her character's back story so it makes sense why she would be cold. She kind of does command attention in her scenes even though she doesn't talk.

Although, in support of your theory, there was that one black guard who was following them around town and I don't think he ever said a word.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6148 on: October 30, 2012, 04:25:42 AM »
meh, I know her character's back story so it makes sense why she would be cold. She kind of does command attention in her scenes even though she doesn't talk.

Although, in support of your theory, there was that one black guard who was following them around town and I don't think he ever said a word.
T-Dogg alone supports that theory. He's had a handful of lines in three seasons; when he does speak, once or twice does anyone ever actually acknowledge that he said anything.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #6149 on: October 30, 2012, 04:30:33 AM »
You know what would be ironic is if the Governor's village has a movie theater, and that's when Michonne starts talking.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6150 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
You know what would be ironic is if the Governor's village has a movie theater, and that's when Michonne starts talking.
:lol

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6151 on: October 30, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
:lol also ironically a subtle Don't Trust the Bitch in APT 23 joke

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6152 on: October 31, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »
Latest ep of Homeland was definitely one of the best of the series

that interrogation...wow

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6153 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
Happy Endings was so hilarious last night.

:lol :lol :lol

cool breeze

« Reply #6154 on: November 01, 2012, 10:14:31 PM »
Arrow doesn't screw around.  I'm amazed at how quickly it's going though the all these plotlines that other shows would drag out.  It's nice!

All the usual origin tropes are almost finished.  I'm assuming there's a grander idea once they finish burning through this stuff, with Capt Jack as the big antagonist.
[close]

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6155 on: November 01, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
Yeah, I was quite surprised they went THERE that quickly. Was sure that would be a season end cliffhanger if they used it at all.

Ollie smiled!
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #6156 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »
Guess I'll have to check out Arrow.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6157 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »
It's really not good. It's just surprisingly watchable
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6158 on: November 01, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
It's like when you have nothing else to drink so you break into the cooking wine, and find it is actually not poisonous and you end up drinking the lot.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #6159 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:24 AM »
Well I watched the Pilot episode and it felt like a good(?) action show. Not great or anything, but it seems to occupy a space not well occupied right now. I can't really think of many watchable tv action shows. It's a bit 80s in that. Well that and the muscle man porn element.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6160 on: November 02, 2012, 04:54:33 AM »
The action aspects are pretty decent actually. They play him as a genuine uber-prepared, uber-proficient badass that uses his weapons to straight up kill fools. So when he interrogates someone by say, handcuffing them to a train track, there is genuine tension.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #6161 on: November 02, 2012, 05:41:55 AM »
On the other hand, there really is some unbelievable stuff in it and the female actresses are all rather bad. The show does have some quality male actors for the side characters.

Just watched the fourth episode and when they reveal
the boat being kept in a warehouse, the immediate question is why hasn't it been burned and gotten rid of?
[close]
That sort of stuff annoys me, but I'll probably keep watching for the action and the story of his time on the island.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #6162 on: November 02, 2012, 06:36:20 AM »
Yeah, Diana Lance is turrible...flip-flops on everything twice an episode. Not the actress' fault but all that manufactured drama with her and Ollie/her father/The Law is tripe
vjj

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6163 on: November 02, 2012, 09:22:04 AM »
Well I watched the Pilot episode and it felt like a good(?) action show. Not great or anything, but it seems to occupy a space not well occupied right now. I can't really think of many watchable tv action shows. It's a bit 80s in that. Well that and the muscle man porn element.

pretty much.

when it wasn't immediately horrible i was somewhat surprised and have kept watching.  i honestly expected it to be more smallville and less nolan batman
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6164 on: November 02, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
I used to love Smallville :(

American Horror Story S2 Ep 3 was amazing.  This shit just keeps getting better.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6165 on: November 02, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
i KNOW

AHS is craycray
Tonya

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6166 on: November 02, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
"But the Christians are about to be eaten"

:rofl :rofl

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6167 on: November 02, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
At least Arrow is doing well enough in the ratings that it won't vanish overnight

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/02/arrow-offers-encouraging-news-for-the-cw/
Tonya

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6168 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
childrens hospital last night  :lol :lol :lol

"When I do coke, I want to say the n-word...

niii.. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.. niiiiehhhh..... NICKEL!"

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6169 on: November 02, 2012, 03:15:36 PM »
I'm watching Terriers, how come nobody told me about this show before?*

* -
[close]

I finished Terriers and wow, what a great show.  It deserved better! :gloomy

I'm now watching Sons of Anarchy.  I heard the first season is good but falls apart from there.  We'll see.

I lied, I've been watching Nip/Tuck instead.

Now back when it was on, I watched maybe the 4th and 5th seasons.  Right now I'm halfway through the fourth season.  I thought the show was pretty decent but it seemed like at the third season, they just kind of said "Fuck it" and took the show off the rails into all kinds of ridiculous shit.  For a while, when there was a big twist, I'd say "oh shit!" but when it happens every episode, it kind of loses the effect.

Oh well, it's a decent watch anyway.

I finished watching this show.

The first three seasons were actually pretty good and were addicting to watch.  The show should have just ended there.

The fourth season started getting ridiculous.  At some point, they must have ran out of ideas and just went balls out with ridiculous shit.  There were so many significant change ups in the plot that it just came off as desperation.

Sensing that maybe the show was going off the rails too much, the fifth season was a reset but lost everything that made the first three seasons good almost right away.  AnnaLynne McCord's character came off more boring than anything else.  The show continued to devolve into desperate grasps at trying to make things exciting.  Everything except good writing.  The only good parts was the porn side story with Ram Peters and Matt almost going into gay porn where some muscle bound dude with probably a 10" hog wondered aloud if he was going to break this meth-frail cool young dude in half.

The sixth season was unwatchable.  I still watched it because fuck it, it isn't like my time is super valuable anyway.

I'm watching Twin Peaks for the very first time :omg
🍆🍆

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #6170 on: November 02, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
I doubt you'd dig this one then.  It's the same type of Lynch-ish crazy shit.  The setting is a bit more interesting though and the material is of a different nature but the tone hasn't seemed to change.  It's quickly paced and batshit insane.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6171 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:28 PM »
second season is weirder.  They really turn up the gothic trappings but have added in a super strange sci-fi angle as well.

Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #6172 on: November 02, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
if you didn't like the first season, this is like that, just w/o the family.  it's also had weird ass demon possessions and lots of sex including James Cromwell as a dirty dirty dirty old man

Everytime he rapes someone I imagine him saying "that'll do pig" after he's had his way.
Tonya

OptimoPeach

« Reply #6173 on: November 02, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
Psych S6 now on Netflix!

Also finally started The Walking Dead. I'm on S2E1 or S2E2. Feels like LOST with zombies. I hope everyone except for Daryl dies. What a bunch of unlikable pricks. Can't believe they have the black guy calling himself T-Dog :lol
hi5

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6174 on: November 02, 2012, 11:14:14 PM »
The end of breaking bad season two with the teddy bear in the pool was so cheap.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6175 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »

that interrogation...wow

I thought they took the obvious route too early but I won't argue it was well done.

However the teenagers sub plot is the dirt worst fucking thing I've ever seen. It's just so out of place.
itm

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #6176 on: November 03, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »
The end of breaking bad season two with the teddy bear in the pool was so cheap.

yea it's a low point in the series.  Thankfully they don't pull anything like that in future seasons.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6177 on: November 03, 2012, 10:14:07 AM »

that interrogation...wow

I thought they took the obvious route too early but I won't argue it was well done.

However the teenagers sub plot is the dirt worst fucking thing I've ever seen. It's just so out of place.

I will say that the teen stuff made my 24 alarm go off. Before the big scene I bet my brother that
Zander would kill or try to kill the VP's son before the end of the season. Alas it seems that they dropped the love triangle shit for this car stuff[\spoiler]
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #6178 on: November 03, 2012, 10:39:48 AM »

that interrogation...wow

teenagers doing something reckless oh no this is the worst thing ever oh my god

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #6179 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »
OH MY FUCKING GOD FELICITY

so my wife has been watching this p.o.s. for the last couple weeks and its been killing me. its typical late 90s WB trash - some college kids that whine and cry at each other all the damn time and never have to worry about real world problems because hey, tv. the central conflict is felicity going back and forth between two guys who simp on her for YEARS even tho she fucked them like once apiece.

its all really repetitive and boring up until near the end of the last season.  out of nowhere they decide to kill the ONE black character - felicity's level-headed advice-giving friend whos been around since the beginning (even tho they never act like shes felicity's best friend because... you know...). she randomly dies in a car accident and everyones sad and then its BACK TO THE RELATIONSHIP TRIANGLE where one of the dudes cheats on her AGAIN. what does she do about all this? she enlists the help of her wiccan friend to help her travel back in time. mind you, there were no supernatural elements at all for the entire show. NONE. and what does she do when she goes back in time? she gets with the OTHER guy she likes so her poor heart wont get broken again. she sees her black friend and says hi but DOESNT warn her that maybe she should stay away from cars for awhile so she could NOT DIE. no, the whole reason she traveled thru time is to not get cheated on! and then of course the dude DOES cheat on her anyway :lol

and who's the dude (of course its a dude) who brought us all these wonderful plot twists and great characters? why its series creator and mastermind j.j. abrams :lol

pcp