Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082824 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #11820 on: September 09, 2015, 11:29:53 PM »
VB has a pretty dull first half season.  However there are a string of season 2 episodes that are some of the best comedy ever.  It takes a while for the show to grow into itself and try to be more than just a parody of old cartoons. 

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #11821 on: September 10, 2015, 10:27:34 AM »
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11822 on: September 10, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
Finished Buffy s5; I've had this forever, somehow got bummed out about the time Riley left, and how much of a melodrama it had become. I am happy I went back, because The Body is just about the best episode of TV surround familial loss. The sense of unreality and vertigo, not knowing what to do, while mortified about doing "the right thing"... these all rung very true for me.

Tasty

« Reply #11823 on: September 11, 2015, 10:39:29 AM »
Buffy s5 is the peak. :preach

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #11824 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11825 on: September 11, 2015, 04:53:13 PM »
:lawd

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #11826 on: September 12, 2015, 04:19:52 AM »
watching this wet hot American summer show makes me wish i was blind and deaf
pcp

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #11827 on: September 12, 2015, 11:07:23 AM »
Watched the first episode of Narcos. Solid fucking start.
Can't help but notice Wagner Moura's Spanish is all over the place sometimes, but I heard the dude picked it up in like 6 months just for this role. Either way shit's dope and worth a watch.
There's a lot of awkward Spanish throughout the entire show. Even more so if you want to compare it to what the subtitles are saying. Still a great show and I didn't know that tidbit which makes it damn impressive.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11828 on: September 12, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
Not for the first time am I glad I'm not half Mexican. 

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11829 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:56 PM »
I'm rewatching Deadwood because I think somebody mentioned it in here. That dialogue.

??? But not dialogue like this.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11830 on: September 12, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
That came off a lot more racist than I intended but it's ok because it was against Mexicans. 

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #11831 on: September 12, 2015, 03:16:51 PM »
Hannibal S3 was great. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was the best yet. The Toothfairy was cool (reminded me of Evilore from GAF). Sad it's over but at the same time, it feels complete after that season. I think three seasons are just fine as long they don't end on a cliffhanger.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11832 on: September 12, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »
Hannibal S3 was great. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought it was the best yet. The Toothfairy was cool (reminded me of Evilore from GAF). Sad it's over but at the same time, it feels complete after that season. I think three seasons are just fine as long they don't end on a cliffhanger.

Nah I loved it too. The slow reflective nature (of the first half especially) I think threw a lot of ppl off but if you were already in love with the show for it's everything is an abstract dream state leanings you rode the wave.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #11833 on: September 13, 2015, 12:43:12 AM »
How I Met Your Mother

I get where they were going with the ending but it was rushed, which is so dumb because it didn't have to end that way if they didn't waste the whole season on plot points that didn't matter 5 minutes into episode 23  :maf

Oh well, it was still a fun ride and at least it wasn't dexter level bad  :stahp

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11834 on: September 13, 2015, 04:42:19 AM »

Glad to hear that. I am looking for a reason to end my viewing, and that's as good as anything to finish. Buffy has a good death, and iirc the temp Slayer is Dushku, of whom I am not fond.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11835 on: September 13, 2015, 04:45:22 AM »

I'm rewatching Deadwood because I think somebody mentioned it in here. That dialogue.

Possibly me. I'm watching it almost exclusively for the dialogue. It's gold. Apparently the writers tried period-accurate swearing in early production, and everyone sounded like Yosemite Sam.

Tasty

« Reply #11836 on: September 13, 2015, 03:29:28 PM »

Glad to hear that. I am looking for a reason to end my viewing, and that's as good as anything to finish. Buffy has a good death, and iirc the temp Slayer is Dushku, of whom I am not fond.

s6 and s7 are still worth watching but I don't think there's anything wrong with viewing s5 as the series finale, because in many ways it was (it was the final season on WB before UPN picked it up for the final two seasons.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11837 on: September 13, 2015, 07:12:20 PM »

s6 and s7 are still worth watching but I don't think there's anything wrong with viewing s5 as the series finale, because in many ways it was (it was the final season on WB before UPN picked it up for the final two seasons.)

I hear I should get be Angel a shake... What did you think of that show?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #11838 on: September 13, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »

Possibly me. I'm watching it almost exclusively for the dialogue. It's gold. Apparently the writers tried period-accurate swearing in early production, and everyone sounded like Yosemite Sam.

I remember that, something like how they would all be saying goldarn instead of cocksucker.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #11839 on: September 13, 2015, 07:38:50 PM »
IIRC, cocksucker was period accurate, motherfucker wasn't and was never used except once when when it was ad-libed by an actor and they let it slide
___

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11840 on: September 13, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »
Quit showing off your knowledge about cocksucking, Mam.

Tasty

« Reply #11841 on: September 13, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
I hear I should get be Angel a shake... What did you think of that show?

Most people I've seen put Angel over Buffy, but it's a different kind of show. Angel is more of an anti-hero than Buffy and the stories deal with more mature subject matter than Buffy's typical high school monster-of-the-week schtick.

Personally, I'll always like Buffy more because I saw it first, but Angel is the more mature, developed series.

Bebpo

« Reply #11842 on: September 15, 2015, 03:13:43 AM »
Finished The Knick, fuck me that was so good.   I'm pretty sure there's no other TV like ever that matches up in production quality.  The directing is SO GOOD and the cinematography is fantastic, great music, and the ensemble cast's acting feels like out of an top notch film, not a TV show.  Every single actor pulls their weight and Owen and Holland are amazing.  Hell, I think Clive Owen gave the strongest acting in his career here.  The staff did a great job with the set and costume design, the subdued low color saturation, the accents, it feels really authentic.  Really good character subplots. 

I just hope S2 isn't an Ocean's Twelve.  Coming from the end of S1 it seems like any S2 would be tacked on as S1 works as a complete package of:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
A super bleak view of everything wrong with medicine and people in the 1900s.
[close]

But if they can pull off story arcs as good and interesting in S2 without the season feeling unnecessary and with this level of production, it will be awesome.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11843 on: September 15, 2015, 03:23:03 AM »
Finished The Knick, fuck me that was so good.   I'm pretty sure there's no other TV like ever that matches up in production quality.  The directing is SO GOOD and the cinematography is fantastic, great music, and the ensemble cast's acting feels like out of an top notch film, not a TV show.  Every single actor pulls their weight and Owen and Holland are amazing.  Hell, I think Clive Owen gave the strongest acting in his career here.  The staff did a great job with the set and costume design, the subdued low color saturation, the accents, it feels really authentic.  Really good character subplots. 

I just hope S2 isn't an Ocean's Twelve.  Coming from the end of S1 it seems like any S2 would be tacked on as S1 works as a complete package of:

A super bleak view of everything wrong with medicine and people in the 1900s.
[close]

But if they can pull off story arcs as good and interesting in S2 without the season feeling unnecessary and with this level of production, it will be awesome.

Bebpo

« Reply #11844 on: September 15, 2015, 04:19:08 AM »
I know, it just on its face feels unnecessary, I mean if there was no S2, then S1 ends with:

Edwards - dead in an alley
Thackery - fucked for life now with heroin
The Knick itself - Closed
Birdy - Moving on to the other doctor, depressed and upset that all his dreams were illusions
Cornelia - Married and moving off to SF and out of the story
Barrow - Super fucked, now gonna be cut into pieces with Ping Wu
Gallnger - Lost everything, probably gonna be an alcoholic or something

Only the Irishman and the Nun seem to have kind of made it out ok.

But that's pretty much an ending.  Shit happened, all the results of their decisions came back to fuck them and life sucks, be glad you're not living in 1900.  THE END.

I feel like a S2 with that in mind is sort of unnecessary because any kind of rebound that gives all these characters a chance again feels like a forced and unnecessary, not to mention incredibly unrealistic setup since the end of S1 was so brutally nihlistically real. 

But maybe they can somehow write it in a way that it doesn't feel forced and unnecessary.  Everyone involved is talented, but sometimes like Ocean's Twelve doing a sequel just to do a sequel ends up with a vastly inferior product.  So gonna hope for the best!
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #11845 on: September 15, 2015, 04:28:30 AM »
Oh yeah and:

For all the realism, KUNG FU NINJA ASSASSIN out of nowhere wtffffff  :lol

That was so random, but kind of awesome!
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11846 on: September 15, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm confident that S2 will be dope. They've already set up some interesting shit

-specifically Typhoid Mary. Plus with Cornelia going to San Fran I'm assuming the show will touch on the bubonic plague outbreak that happened there in the early 1900s.
[close]

I trust that this won't just be a half baked sequel season ("if you thought he was crazy on one drug, wait until he's on TWO DRUGS!"). The writers involved deserve the benefit of the doubt, and it's not like they have a network breathing down their necks. Obviously sometimes these situations go to shit (see: Homeland) but I'm always confident until given a reason not to be.

All that being said I'd hope this lasts three seasons or so. Four at the most.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #11847 on: September 15, 2015, 03:44:24 PM »
The Knick is so fucking good.
I expected a quick resolution to the racial tensions in the first episode followed by mutual respect like any other show would do, but no, people act like they would have and they don't like Algernon after several episodes.
[close]
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11848 on: September 15, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »
The Knick is so fucking good.
I expected a quick resolution to the racial tensions in the first episode followed by mutual respect like any other show would do, but no, people act like they would have and they don't like Algernon after several episodes.
[close]

you mean you expected
Thackery and Algernon Black Batman to bond over their love of ragtime jazz and decide maybe they aren't so different after all? I agree. I also love how they exhausted every possible racial epithet before someone finally dropped an n-bomb on him. Racist versatility :lawd

My only problem with the race aspect was that Black Batman became way too comfortable in public with Cornelia. The idea of her being dropped off at a negro only project and staying the night doesn't strike me as believable. Nor the idea of simply eloping to Europe and everything would be fine. I understand that the gradual way he was grudgingly accepted may have made him more confident/cocky/etc but still.
[close]

Dennis

« Reply #11849 on: September 17, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »
Amazing S19E01 episode of South Park.

Should be mandatory watching for Bores and Gaffers.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #11850 on: September 17, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
Simpsons are supposed to be really good up to season 8.
ὕβρις

Steve Contra

« Reply #11851 on: September 17, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
You could argue Simpson's season 4 is the best season of any show ever if that's any help.
vin

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11852 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »
Amazing S19E01 episode of South Park.

Should be mandatory watching for Bores and Gaffers.

I had some beverages and I checked you friends privilege :lol

Also Hateful words can suck our turds cause its PC for me...and you, woo woo.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #11853 on: September 18, 2015, 07:51:16 AM »
Craig Ferguson to Host Historical Talk Show on History
Join or Die With Craig Ferguson, which has been picked up for 16 half-hour episodes, features Ferguson debating provocative and timely topics with a panel of guests including celebrities, history experts as well as the American public via social media. Topics will include a range of offerings including the biggest presidential campaign flop, greatest founding father and key inventions. The series will feature lively debates and, naturally, feature digital pieces.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11854 on: September 19, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
Started watching The Knick on HBO before it gets snatched away.

Really entertaining and the attention to detail is great. Soundtrack is cool as fuck, really glad it isn't the typical, slow paced melodrama music for anything that takes place in the early 20th century. It seems elaborate characterization isn't the goal for the characters on the show, each character has their own role and things sorta happen.

The pacing for each episode is perfect, rarely feels like you spent an hour watching something.
OH!

studyguy

« Reply #11855 on: September 21, 2015, 04:20:09 PM »
Fear The Walking Dead continues to be that show about idiots in a zombie apocalypse making idiotic decisions.
Not sure why I expected more.
pause

Steve Contra

« Reply #11856 on: September 21, 2015, 04:43:06 PM »
Finished The Knick.  Everything about this show :rejoice

Eve Hewson is really the standout besides Clive.  She never overacts and does so much with so little expressiveness.  There's a point later in the season where Soderbergh just lets the camera linger on her exhaustion and happiness for longer than anybody else would in a tv show.  It's one of my favorite moments in a tv show ever.
vin

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11857 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
Finished The Knick.  Everything about this show :rejoice

Eve Hewson is really the standout besides Clive.  She never overacts and does so much with so little expressiveness.  There's a point later in the season where Soderbergh just lets the camera linger on her exhaustion and happiness for longer than anybody else would in a tv show.  It's one of my favorite moments in a tv show ever.

Side note but she looks exactly like my mental picture of Daenerys when I first read the book. Her eyes are so...cold. Even when expressing some form of joy or happiness there's a hint of melancholy.

I'd be dead inside if Bono was my dad too :tocry

studyguy

« Reply #11858 on: September 23, 2015, 12:24:46 PM »
I still can't get over how utterly braindead the people in Fear The Walking Dead are.
For fucks sake, my girl is into zombie shows so I'm basically going to end up watching this shit to the end regardless.

Everyone's so fucking dense to the point where the characters are willfully throwing themselves into harm's way or compromising the safety of others for no reason.
pause

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #11859 on: September 23, 2015, 12:28:57 PM »
I still can't get over how utterly braindead the people in Fear The Walking Dead are.
For fucks sake, my girl is into zombie shows so I'm basically going to end up watching this shit to the end regardless.

Everyone's so fucking dense to the point where the characters are willfully throwing themselves into harm's way or compromising the safety of others for no reason.

Isn't that the walking dead formula though. I've only watched like the first two seasons of the original show but it always seemed to alternate between being infuriating and then boring.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11860 on: September 23, 2015, 12:57:14 PM »

Isn't that the walking dead formula though. I've only watched like the first two seasons of the original show but it always seemed to alternate between being infuriating and then boring.

It's far worse here because people are already familiar with the universe, having seen 6 seasons of Walking Dead. So this new show feels like a complete retread of shit the audience already knows. Three episodes in and characters in the show were still trying to touch/hug/help walkers.
:mindblown

To make matters worse there isn't a single interesting main character. The lead is in many ways similar to Rick in early Walking Dead. Good guy, just wants to help his family, might be too good to survive in this new world. The rest of the cast feels like generic disaster film fare - difficult step daughter, drug addict step son, distant biological son, ex wife, etc. Walking Dead at least gave you a few interesting folks from the beginning.

Why make another zombie show that doesn't stand out in any way, outside of racial diversity? I would have loved to see a spin off that focused on grayer characters.

studyguy

« Reply #11861 on: September 23, 2015, 01:02:58 PM »
The thing that annoys me the most is rather than focus on the fact that they know the "infection" causes people to go crazy, come back to life and fuck shit up. They're focusing on the military conspiracy. Why aren't they letting us out, what's out there? Anyone with half a brain knows what's out there as they live on a fucking hill and can see the city. Everyone's fucking dead, sneaking out to see it yourself isn't somehow going to change the fact that you just watched at least 3 of your neighbors in the past week kill one another.

Fuck they saw one neighbor get attacked RIGHT OUTSIDE THEIR DOOR early on and in the later scene they were playing monopoly not worrying about it despite the fact they could see it from their front lawn.

Like what the fuck  :lol
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11862 on: September 23, 2015, 01:37:34 PM »
Not to mention the fact that she cut open the fucking gate, thus opening up the potential for the walkers she knows exist to enter their safe zone.
:mindblown

Why even set the story in LA if all you're going to do is show a suburb and military conspiracy shit? I thought this would be about surviving the apocalypse in one of the most densely populated cities in the country.

Fuck all of them. Give me a show with that fat kid from the first episode, and the older Mexican guy. They're the only people who have any sense of competence.

studyguy

« Reply #11863 on: September 23, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »
Is the Mexican daughter adopted? Her Spanish accent is AWFUL like 3rd generation immigrant kid status bad. Like holy fuck I work with this corn fed white dude out of Illinois who has a better accent in Spanish than she did. It's not even Spanglish, just butchered straight up Spanish.

Also yeah the fat kid and the Mexican dude could easily team up and survive since everyone else is a fucking moron to the nth degree.
pause

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #11864 on: September 23, 2015, 07:48:06 PM »
Catching up on Penny Dreadful s2, actually feeling a sense of dread over the witches. Still feeling uneven character writing between Nina being overwhelmed with God issues, then having a little chat with Frankenstein's monster in the cholera pit.  ??? Also, as long as that monster doesn't engage in a shit-tonne more random killings ALL THE WHILE lamenting his own questionable existence, I will end up liking that character more. Jesus, what a childish little emo bastard. Still loving the show's great production values.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11865 on: September 23, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »
I will say that I give Fear Of The Walking Dead dap for having one of the hottest chicks on television.

the step daughter :lawd

and she fucks with niccas (on the show at least) :lawd

:heh @ Randy escaping the rugged foster home system of Baltimore only to find himself in the middle of the zombie apocalypse in LA

studyguy

« Reply #11866 on: September 24, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

Saw Rosewood before Empire yesterday. Lasted some 20 minutes before I just jumped on my phone and ignored the rest of it. Shit was  :zzz :zzz :zzz status.

Empire S2, gorilla suits in cages, Don Lemon, Chris Rock as a kingpin  :lol, and Tomei dancing to Hot Boy.
What the fuck was I watching  :lol
pause

Dennis

« Reply #11867 on: September 24, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »
There is an new clip on IGN from the Season 3 premiere of Agents of SHIELD and it is looking pretty darn good.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/24/marvels-agents-of-shield-watch-the-big-opening-sequence-to-season-3

YouTube as well

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11868 on: September 24, 2015, 06:57:16 PM »
Wow that is a hell of an opening. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Phoenix Dark

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #11871 on: September 28, 2015, 01:33:50 PM »
Started Luther. Three episodes in and I'm kinda ehhh :yeshrug

It's ok. Not a fan of the monster of the week structure, which seems to get more ridiculous with each episode. The first ep set quite a standard for fuckery.

I was watching the pilot with someone and I was like "oh shit, she hid the gun inside the dog," just throwing it out there. My lady friend busted out laughing and called bullshit...and lo and behold the murderer did indeed hide the gun inside the dog.
:dead
[close]

And I'm upset my nicca Idris' hair isn't brushed. I get that he's supposed to be an obsessed cop who doesn't have time for basic shit like brushing his hair but god dammit. Don't let my black brother take an L like this.
:brazilcry

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11872 on: September 28, 2015, 01:43:35 PM »
AofS is tomorrow.  So hyped. 

studyguy

« Reply #11873 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:07 PM »
AoS always struck me as corny af for some reason.
pause

Tasty

« Reply #11874 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:26 PM »
Criticize another man's unkempt hair when you're ostensibly """straight""", brehs

Tasty

« Reply #11875 on: September 28, 2015, 01:47:47 PM »
AoS always struck me as corny af for some reason.

It's a Whedon joint, it's gonna be corny at times.

s2 was great tho.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #11876 on: September 28, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
s2 was so damn great. 

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #11877 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:32 PM »
Another fun Rick and Morty!
brb

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11878 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:56 PM »
don't hate procedural drama

studyguy

« Reply #11879 on: September 29, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
The new daily show was dope.
Always figured as much would happen. Trevor seemed great, but it's always the writing team that did the heavy lifting.

That opening  :heh
pause