Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082826 times)

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #12120 on: January 01, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »
Futurama does too much navel gazing and self stroking in the fourth season but seasons 1-3 are great.  Avoid everything past the cancellation.
🍆🍆

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12121 on: January 01, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
Going to watch the new Sherlock tonight :excited

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12122 on: January 02, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »
It's out? I thought January 7th.

I watched the first episode of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. It is nuts.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #12123 on: January 02, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
Tried to watch Making Of A Murderer, quit after around 30 minutes. Seemed rather poorly done compared to other documentaries I've seen, and the focus of the doc....ugh. Dude drives a woman off the road and points a gun at her, and his lawyer makes it sound like this was nothing.

nope

That's what I was thinking too, but by the end of the episode it's awesome. Totally hooked now

this.  its a slow burn but it gets so good

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #12124 on: January 02, 2016, 05:58:57 PM »
Tried to watch Making Of A Murderer, quit after around 30 minutes. Seemed rather poorly done compared to other documentaries I've seen, and the focus of the doc....ugh. Dude drives a woman off the road and points a gun at her, and his lawyer makes it sound like this was nothing.

nope

That's what I was thinking too, but by the end of the episode it's awesome. Totally hooked now

Yeah I had the same reaction as PD at first, but stuck with it. It's at least Serial quality, for better or worse.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12125 on: January 04, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
Making a Murderer is pretty damn intriguing.

Tasty

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #12127 on: January 06, 2016, 05:49:58 AM »
Just bailed out of The Simpsons. Season 7 was already way too average.

Probably worth watching "You Only Move Twice" from Season 8 then forgetting the rest exist

itm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12128 on: January 06, 2016, 06:03:07 PM »
https://vid.me/AWpi season 10 gag reel

new episode of always sunny tonight!

Beezy

« Reply #12129 on: January 07, 2016, 12:12:21 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12130 on: January 07, 2016, 12:46:51 AM »
A bio series for a chick who isn't even dead yet SMH

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12131 on: January 07, 2016, 02:34:52 AM »
Sunny premiere was kinda weak.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #12132 on: January 07, 2016, 02:47:44 AM »
Binged season 10 yesterday and I thought it was pretty good. Nothing really stood out (except Charlie Work) but that might be because I binged it, it all kinda melded together.

Same thing happened when I marathoned Parks & Rec.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12133 on: January 07, 2016, 02:54:33 AM »
Yeah I liked season 10. Had a few really stand out episodes like Charlie Work and it felt like a continuation of the upswing in quality that 9 started.
zzzzz

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12134 on: January 07, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »
the Wade Boggs episode!!
___

Tasty

« Reply #12135 on: January 07, 2016, 11:07:49 AM »

March 18th! :hyper

Syph

« Reply #12136 on: January 07, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

nope
I really suggest you try and make it through the first 1.5 episodes and then make a decision. I know that's bullshit and shows shouldn't be like that, and I agree, but the show changes in pace and tone after that first episode. I had the same reservations as you but ended up pushing through and I'm glad I did. Also you can't be a cool kid unless you're watching the hip shows man
XO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12137 on: January 07, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

To be fair, the entirety of the last season was very weak.

season 10 was great.  This episode was a bit weak though. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12138 on: January 09, 2016, 06:32:42 PM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12139 on: January 09, 2016, 07:40:55 PM »

Disagree completely.

Feels like the episode was very unhinged, that they aren't holding anything back anymore (which makes sense for a 11 year old show). The Arabic military regiment ceremony, the flags of each team, Charlie and Mac being oblivious to how Brazilians would speak, Mac carving a dick for what he thinks love is, Dennis carving a woman's head in a freezer. Each scene had a honed in joke, and for the most part, everything landed.

The only thing that fell flat was Frank's Saw bit.

Seems like Its Always Sunny has a really divided fanbase as a whole. Tons of love it or hate it type of episodes. Tons of people loathe the "who pooped the bed" episode, I'd say its great. Charlie Work is probably my least favorite episode from last season.

OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #12140 on: January 12, 2016, 03:11:28 AM »
I finally finished Arrested Development Season 4.  I've been watching it since the day it came out, but it was just SO BAD that I couldn't get through more than an episode or two every few months.  Not only was it terribly boring & unfunny with awful new characters and bad new subplots, but it was long at 15 eps and for some reason every ep had to be LONG at ~35 mins for a comedy.  Some eps felt like an eternity.

There were like 2 actually funny good eps.  One with Job and the Jesus Christ wedding and one with George Michael inventing Faceblock.  Otoh, some of the eps like the Buster eps and the Ron Howard stuff just ran themselves into the ground over and over and over.  A lot of these characters really only work well as support characters and having them try to support entire eps just did not work.  Also not really having more than a few eps of plot advancement repeated over and over and over for 15 eps with some slightly new information each time didn't work since a lot of the subplots and scenes were bad and it was just watching bad scenes over and over and over.

Probably the worst season of a TV show I've ever seen.  Took me like 2 years but I finally made it through for completion sake.  The old seasons were amazing, it's hard to believe they could've blown it this much but they did.  Now I'm kind of afraid if they make a Season 5 or a movie because the writing magic of the old show seems almost completely gone.  Yikes.  :-\

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #12141 on: January 12, 2016, 05:47:40 AM »
Anyone watch Shannara? Shit was good

Tasty

« Reply #12142 on: January 12, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-files-tv-review-854844

New X-Files is terrible according to this review.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #12143 on: January 12, 2016, 04:41:22 PM »
Just starting Season 2 of Transparent, love the insight into the affluent society of anxious jews.... Jeffrey Tambor aka Pop Pop is great, carried the show for me at the beginning. Rest of the characters took a while to grow on me, but now it's my favourite show I've seen in the past year next to The Knick.

Also watching The Expanse and Jessica Jones. The Expanse seems really good for a Syfy show so far (of the few I've seen).

Love Jessica Jones ofc. Mad crush on Ritter.
◕‿◕

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12144 on: January 12, 2016, 06:28:12 PM »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12145 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
I really liked the third season of Maron. It evolved past being a Louie clone and became its own thing.  I don't consider it as good of a show as Louie but it's still very good.

I hated Master of None and stopped watching after the first couple of episodes.  He works best on a show like Parks and Recreation where his annoying character ends up being the butt of a lot of jokes.
🍆🍆

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12146 on: January 14, 2016, 01:47:34 AM »
Yeah, didn't like Master Of None either. Don't like Maron.

Can't say I like most comedy shows other than very few that are running, or maybe I just don't watch enough comedies that are still running :yeshrug

Only one I can say I love rn is You're The Worst and that became less of a comedy in s2 and more "horrific look into whats it like being in your late 20s early 30s right now." Throw in a sacirly accurate, like most accurate I've ever seen depicticed portrayal of depression and ayup. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #12147 on: January 14, 2016, 01:54:48 AM »
The only thing that fell flat was Frank's Saw bit.
I thought in a way that worked because of course that's Frank's go to horror situation video reference to use. Like the rest of the gang, it's all outdated and they can't pull it off.

I agree with you that they're getting dense and I think that plays a role in people disliking/liking stuff. Where before they might have a specific joke prepared for Charlie, now they run through one for Mac, one for Charlie, one for Frank, one for Dee and leave em all in for the same segment. And some combo of the four hits for you, or none of them do.

I've spotted a few scenes where I think they're actually taking two completely different cuts and combining them as if they were an extension of one another. Like Dennis' talking about all the ways he'd punish Dee when they visit the psychiatrist. Like I could see them having four ideas, and then also ad-libbing a few, and then realizing they could splice the two together into one really nasty but funny Dennis is a psychopath monologue. Or then refilming the scene with that as the dialogue now. (I know they've said they do that with some of the ad-libbing.)

benjipwns

« Reply #12148 on: January 15, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »
sunny  :lawd

mormapope

« Reply #12149 on: January 15, 2016, 01:28:13 PM »
Definitely a great nostalgia episode. The performance of Dennis being on crack in 2015/2016
 :lawd

Episode was pure fan service, but it was really well done.
OH!

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12150 on: January 15, 2016, 02:09:06 PM »
That was a much better version of what they tried to do in episode one. Why did they even make that first episode if they had a waaaaaaaaay better fanservice episode lined up?
zzzzz

mormapope

« Reply #12151 on: January 15, 2016, 02:15:41 PM »
I'd argue the first episode was much less about fan service, it seemed like they wanted to do another board game episode before the show is finished.

Reception to that first episode was really positive except for the bore, maybe some of you are just a bunch of birds.  :doge
OH!

benjipwns

« Reply #12152 on: January 15, 2016, 02:23:53 PM »
They did the episode a few years back with the garbage strike where they brought back and redid and referenced all sorts of prior episodes. But never an almost straight up remake.

Psych did one of those in its last season.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12153 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
I didn't think Fargo was going to be as good as it is.  It's amazing.

Also Jessica Jones is the best thing to come out of Marvel pretty much ever.
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12154 on: January 16, 2016, 02:50:48 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/x-files-tv-review-854844

New X-Files is terrible according to this review.

Not surprised lol.

We are scooping from the bottom of the nostalgia barrel, scraping wood from the base.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #12155 on: January 16, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
I think I'm done with the Simpsons... I thought of rewatching all of season 4, but I'm too bored with it. I think the problem is I've known and watched the Simpsons all my life. It's only natural to get bored of watching the same characters even if they're so good.

Marge vs. The Monorail is probably my favorite episode.
I can infinitely rewatch seasons 1-8. They're basically part of my background noise list that I stream from my pc to my TV.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #12156 on: January 16, 2016, 05:41:41 PM »
Seasons 1-6 to me are probably some of the best TV ever made.  I can understand why seasons went downhill: the first few seasons were amazing because the writers worked 20+ hours a day to get it right.  It's unsustainable and if you treat it like a 9-5, then it won't be as good.
🍆🍆

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12157 on: January 16, 2016, 10:24:36 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12158 on: January 17, 2016, 01:28:09 AM »

Tasty

« Reply #12159 on: January 17, 2016, 02:34:59 AM »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/01/16/netflix-developing-punisher-spinoff-from-daredevil

Netflix goin' Marvel-crazy. Can't blame them, DD and JJ were both huge critical and commercial hits.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12160 on: January 17, 2016, 02:35:46 AM »
doubt it'll live up to my dreams 

benjipwns

« Reply #12161 on: January 21, 2016, 08:09:26 AM »
always sunny is amazing

SPECIAL DELIVERY

spoiler (click to show/hide)
You know what. If you guys are already hard, just go ahead of me and I'll just circle back.
[close]

We're on the mountain. :aah

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12162 on: January 21, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
Always sunny :lol

Was not expecting a graphic charlie sex scene
[close]

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12163 on: January 21, 2016, 11:21:02 AM »
WDW

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12164 on: January 21, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
lol think tank

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #12165 on: January 21, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
You will know my power, but only once you are clean.
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #12166 on: January 21, 2016, 11:42:02 AM »
The Sovereign :fbm

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12167 on: January 21, 2016, 11:59:43 AM »
No, Dennis. I’m gonna race for everyone. I’m gonna race for the people. See, last night Tatiana taught me all about Communism. Cold, hard winters. Gross soups. She also taught me a lot about sex. Sweet sex, amazing sex—a lotta sex. Jacuzzi sex, Dennis!

Tasty

« Reply #12168 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:17 PM »
No, Dennis. I’m gonna race for everyone. I’m gonna race for the people.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #12169 on: January 24, 2016, 01:24:02 AM »
Just watched the Mr. Robot pilot. Holy shit that was a very, very good first episode.
:whoo

hit close to home in some respects :tocry

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12170 on: January 24, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »
Catassing Castle lately. I love Nathan Fillion and the chemistry with Stana is really charming. It's all DVR'd reruns, so the quality and relationship changes are disorienting, but it's all good.

Goddamned ABC REMOVED all s1 Agent Carter from streaming services, including deleting the downloaded episodes I had on standby. :maf I was only one episode in so far. Jerkbags.

Tasty

« Reply #12171 on: January 24, 2016, 08:59:14 PM »
Catassing Castle lately. I love Nathan Fillion and the chemistry with Stana is really charming. It's all DVR'd reruns, so the quality and relationship changes are disorienting, but it's all good.

Goddamned ABC REMOVED all s1 Agent Carter from streaming services, including deleting the downloaded episodes I had on standby. :maf I was only one episode in so far. Jerkbags.

Still on Google Play.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12172 on: January 24, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »

Still on Google Play.

I didn't say it was not purchasable, I said that it was pulled from streaming. Google Play, Amazon, iTunes and such will happily sell it to me. I'm stating that it was deleted from my fucking DVR without warning and regardless of its displayed expiry date. Fickle, greedy dickbags.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #12173 on: January 24, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »
Just torrent it.  I haven't started season 2 yet because its the kind of show I like to binge. 

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #12174 on: January 25, 2016, 06:56:13 PM »
The Great British Bake Off is so good :lawd
vin

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12175 on: January 25, 2016, 07:02:45 PM »
Anyone watch Shannara? Shit was good

Started Chronicles of Shannara. It's... okay.

Those books came out when I was in elementary school; I never realized it was a postapocalyptic take on fantasy.  I guess it's supposedly ironic to have a fantasy world with elves and gnomes and trolls, but no-one really believes in magic.

Everyone in the show is too pretty, save John Rhys Davies. The male, blonde, half-elf lead reminds me a little bit too much of Jay, so I keep looking for Silent Bob.

benjipwns

« Reply #12176 on: January 27, 2016, 01:24:51 AM »
The Great British Bake Off is so good :lawd
Is this a show about Nigella Lawson's drug habits?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12177 on: January 27, 2016, 01:29:25 AM »
Just torrent it.  I haven't started season 2 yet because its the kind of show I like to binge.
I actually own s1 on iTunes, and now I bought one of the new Apple TV things to take back to Japan with me, so I'm likely to use that to watch Agent Carter s1 while here.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #12178 on: January 27, 2016, 10:02:58 PM »

Season 3 synopsis:

This season on PENNY DREADFUL, Tony® Award-winning star Patti LuPone (American Horror Story), who guest starred last season as the Cut-Wife, returns as a series regular in the new role of Dr. Seward, an American therapist who treats Vanessa (Eva Green) with an unconventional new approach. Wes Studi (Hell On Wheels) joins as a series regular as Kaetenay, an intense, enigmatic Native American with a deep connection to Ethan (Josh Hartnett) who also becomes an ally to Sir Malcolm (Timothy Dalton). The third season also adds Robert Louis Stevenson’s Dr. Henry Jekyll (Shazad Latif). Other guest stars include Screen Actors Guild® Award nominee Christian Camargo (DEXTER®, The Hurt Locker) as Dr. Alexander Sweet, a zoologist who strikes up an unlikely friendship with Vanessa; Sam Barnett (2012, Jupiter Ascending) as Dr. Seward’s mysterious young secretary; and Jessica Barden (The Outcast, Far from the Madding Crowd) as Justine, a young acolyte to Lily (Billie Piper) and Dorian Gray (Reeve Carney), and Perdita Weeks (THE TUDORS), as Catriona Hartdegan, a scholar with expert knowledge of the supernatural. Simon Russell Beale returns as Dr. Ferdinand Lyle. Rory Kinnear (as The Creature) and Harry Treadaway (as Dr. Frankenstein) also star.
[close]
WDW

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #12179 on: January 27, 2016, 10:08:36 PM »
:hyper

Eva Green is probably the best actress going on TV right now
___