Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082813 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13740 on: September 28, 2017, 01:41:27 AM »
oh my

Always happy to see Taylor Kitsch getting work. I thought John Carter was gonna be a career finisher.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13741 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
i loved the john carter movie
i believe in taylor kitsch

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13742 on: September 28, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
oh my

Anything that's ever had both Michael Shannon and Shae Wiggum in it has been dope (Bad Lt 2 being the highlight) so I'm expecting them to go 4/4 here.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #13743 on: September 28, 2017, 02:32:06 PM »
Now reached the end of S3 of BSG. Fucking hell what a goddamn trainwreck.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13744 on: September 29, 2017, 01:41:58 AM »
this could work for me

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13745 on: September 30, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
Checked out Nick Kroll's new animated Netflix show, Big Mouth. Really good shit.
zzzzz

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13746 on: September 30, 2017, 02:49:16 PM »
Checked out Nick Kroll's new animated Netflix show, Big Mouth. Really good shit.

Didn't know this was a thing, will definitely watch

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #13747 on: October 04, 2017, 01:39:35 AM »
Lucifer started back up today. :rejoice

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13748 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:46 AM »
Tin Star is kinda good

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13749 on: October 05, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
Began watching Carnivàle a few days ago. I'm three episodes in and I like it so far. Characters and especially the atmosphere are top but I'm not so sure about the story. Will see how far they take the incest angle between that preacher and his sister (I hope for god that Hawkins and that fortuneteller chick are not related although I suspect that much)   :doge

Had that show on my radar for a few years now but always hesitated because of HBO canceling it midway through its run. But after finishing season 1 of Preacher and George Martin's vampire novel Fevre Dream (set on the Mississippi River during the Antebellum years) this summer I developed a craving for more of that Southern Gothic weirdness.

Can anyone of you who watched the show tell me if they somehow managed to end it in conclusive way or if there is too much of cliffhanger?

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #13750 on: October 05, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
I couldn't get into it :( It's been many years, but I was expecting something that was aping Twin Peaks, but I recall it taking itself too seriously for me.
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13751 on: October 05, 2017, 11:58:32 AM »
Carnivale  :goldberg

You wont be getting any satisfaction, show becomes ridiculously good but there is no conclusion for you.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13752 on: October 05, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
You wont be getting any satisfaction, show becomes ridiculously good but there is no conclusion for you.
:shaq2 That's too bad then.

I'm watching it mainly for the atmosphere and the weird people. It'll suffice for now, I guess. Maybe I'll bail after the first season.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13753 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:57 PM »
Love Carnivale. Maybe my favorite HBO show. Aboslutley killed before it's time. Some powerful episodes in there though and i still think about it often.

Don't bail, finish it.

Best thing I can say about the ending is while it doesn't wrap up the whole story, it definitely feels like the ending to a chapter, or first volume in a book series. Basically the ending feels like an ending (with more to come) and not a cliffhanger. Similar to Deadwood in that way.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13754 on: October 05, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »
That reminds me that I still have to finish the last two seasons of Deadwood :lawd

Is it decided now that HBO is gonna conclude the show with a movie or two or was that just hot air (again)?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13755 on: October 05, 2017, 05:47:37 PM »
I think the movie is real

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13756 on: October 05, 2017, 07:18:03 PM »
I think the movie is real

I_WANT_TO_BELIEVE.gif

I hope so, too.
:fbm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13757 on: October 05, 2017, 07:51:05 PM »
We're up to s3 in Person of Interest, and I'm impressed and happy with the direction the show has taken, even if it's become substantially different. It's been enjoyable to watch Reese and Finch's friendship grow, and now it looks like Fusco will be brought into the fold as a more trusted participant. Shaw is straight fucking fire, I enjoy watching her lethal, broken Jane Bourne to Reese's more subtle fixer work. I mostly like Root, but despite acting chops Amy Acker always seems just too pretty to take seriously. That says more about me than her though.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I could not BELIEVE they offed Carter. They even did a fantastic setup, where it was clear she was going to die, but then she made it, then Fusco is clearly going to die, and he makes it, and then BANG, out of fucking nowhere comes Officer Simmons. It had tremendous emotional impact, but Simmons striding toward both Carter and the Nearly Always Incapacitating Man in the Suit doesn't make any tactical sense. I have chosen to go with Simmons seizing an opportunity shot due to overwhelming anger management issues.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13758 on: October 05, 2017, 08:47:10 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13759 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:20 PM »
The Orville Episode 5 is a little bit weaker than the previous 2 despite having Charlize Theron guest star, it is however still continuing it's streak of being very recognizable as a star trek show, this show wasnt the galaxy quest I wanted, but turned into a good enough discount TNG to keep me happy.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13760 on: October 06, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
We're up to s3 in Person of Interest, and I'm impressed and happy with the direction the show has taken, even if it's become substantially different. It's been enjoyable to watch Reese and Finch's friendship grow, and now it looks like Fusco will be brought into the fold as a more trusted participant. Shaw is straight fucking fire, I enjoy watching her lethal, broken Jane Bourne to Reese's more subtle fixer work. I mostly like Root, but despite acting chops Amy Acker always seems just too pretty to take seriously. That says more about me than her though.

I started watching it exactly a year ago. I was kinda meh in the beginning but the show grew on me quickly halfway through season 1. The chemistry between Reese and Finch is great and almost carries the show on its own. I also think I developed a man crush on James Caviezel in the progress :uguu

At first it reminded me of Burn Notice. I adored that show in the beginning but got fed up after season 2 because the overarching story line was thin as hell and boring and the stand-alone episodes quickly became trite and formulaic (Michael bitching about taking another job to help out some poor fool; gets persuaded by his friends to do it anyway; some MacGyver action ensues; he saves the day, finds another teensy clue about why he was burned or whatever; rinse and repeat).

Person of Interest avoids these pitfalls, at least in the first two seasons. With shows I really like I try to savour them so I stopped after finishing season 2 last year. But I think I'm gonna start the next season soon. Shame Netflix only has the first three seasons :-\ 

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13761 on: October 06, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »

Elliot Stabler sure hit the skids after he left SVU

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13762 on: October 06, 2017, 11:48:59 PM »

I started watching it exactly a year ago. I was kinda meh in the beginning but the show grew on me quickly halfway through season 1. The chemistry between Reese and Finch is great and almost carries the show on its own. I also think I developed a man crush on James Caviezel in the progress :uguu

At first it reminded me of Burn Notice. I adored that show in the beginning but got fed up after season 2 because the overarching story line was thin as hell and boring and the stand-alone episodes quickly became trite and formulaic (Michael bitching about taking another job to help out some poor fool; gets persuaded by his friends to do it anyway; some MacGyver action ensues; he saves the day, finds another teensy clue about why he was burned or whatever; rinse and repeat).

Person of Interest avoids these pitfalls, at least in the first two seasons. With shows I really like I try to savour them so I stopped after finishing season 2 last year. But I think I'm gonna start the next season soon. Shame Netflix only has the first three seasons :-\

I'm lucky — Japanese Amazon Prime is showing 1-4 for free. There are only 5 seasons, and they may have s5 on Prime by the time we get to it.

I agree that Finch and Reese's chemistry is really fantastic. It shifts a bit in s2 and seems to return in s3 after some shit goes down.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13763 on: October 07, 2017, 05:33:42 AM »
That reminds me that I still have to finish the last two seasons of Deadwood :lawd

Is it decided now that HBO is gonna conclude the show with a movie or two or was that just hot air (again)?
On April 19, 2017, Ian McShane announced that David Milch submitted a script for a two-hour Deadwood movie to HBO, saying "[A] two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO. If they don't deliver, blame them."

benjipwns

« Reply #13764 on: October 07, 2017, 05:48:11 AM »

Person of Interest does not stick to the shoehorned in case of the week format permanently like Burn Notice did until it decided to shit the bed even more and attempt serialization without a plot. (In reality, Burn Notice peaks its format in season four and should have done a shortened season five wrap-up arc with John C. McGinley's character rather than Jere Burns.)  It never fully abandons it until the endgame season unlike Covert Affairs brilliantly did (speaking of shows that didn't get to conclude) but it goes more and more episodes where they are handling some mini-arc before going back to whatever number comes up. They also start to weave more, where the numbers are seemingly not but wind up related to the overall arcs rather than some dude is bothering the daughter of someone Sam knows from the bar like Burn Notice would do constantly. (i.e. like maybe it's someone who in five episodes Finch needs to borrow some equipment from)

PoI got cut short though because of scheduling and CBS fuckery with committing to the final season threw off the availability of one of the cast, so they just kinda disappear before reappearing with no good explanation and you can tell they shunted roles to the other characters. It's not too bad but it does throw off the pacing a bit because they're short one.

Of course, pacing is like one of the most important factors for me in storytelling, to an out of the ordinary level I've noticed, so you or others might not even notice it or overlook it really easily.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13765 on: October 07, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
On April 19, 2017, Ian McShane announced that David Milch submitted a script for a two-hour Deadwood movie to HBO, saying "[A] two-hour movie script has been delivered to HBO. If they don't deliver, blame them."

Yeah I read that too on Wikipedia. Hardly reassuring especially with all the countless incoming GoT-sequels, prequels and whatnot :(

Person of Interest does not stick to the shoehorned in case of the week format permanently like Burn Notice did until it decided to shit the bed even more and attempt serialization without a plot. (In reality, Burn Notice peaks its format in season four and should have done a shortened season five wrap-up arc with John C. McGinley's character rather than Jere Burns.)  It never fully abandons it until the endgame season unlike Covert Affairs brilliantly did (speaking of shows that didn't get to conclude) but it goes more and more episodes where they are handling some mini-arc before going back to whatever number comes up. They also start to weave more, where the numbers are seemingly not but wind up related to the overall arcs rather than some dude is bothering the daughter of someone Sam knows from the bar like Burn Notice would do constantly. (i.e. like maybe it's someone who in five episodes Finch needs to borrow some equipment from)

PoI got cut short though because of scheduling and CBS fuckery with committing to the final season threw off the availability of one of the cast, so they just kinda disappear before reappearing with no good explanation and you can tell they shunted roles to the other characters. It's not too bad but it does throw off the pacing a bit because they're short one.

Of course, pacing is like one of the most important factors for me in storytelling, to an out of the ordinary level I've noticed, so you or others might not even notice it or overlook it really easily.

Next to the excellent protagonists it's the more serialized nature of PoI that finally got me hooked. Although I'm a bit wary in regards of how possibly stupid the  :hans1-plot may get farther in. But then I don't really mind ridiculous plots that much as long as it stays entertaining. And the stand-alone episodes were fun and varied in a way those in Burn Notice were not so PoI has that going for it too.

You mentioned Covert Affairs. I don't know this show so how does it compare to PoI and Burn Notice?

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #13766 on: October 07, 2017, 09:45:55 AM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13767 on: October 07, 2017, 11:38:35 AM »

Yeah PoI ended up in this weird place where the network didn't care too much about what they were doing story wise (Jonathan in interviews towards the end said they basically stopped getting notes around the last few years) but this ended up hurting their scheduling. IIRC the final season was basically done for almost a year before CBS was like yeah i guess we have to finally air this now?

Just rewatched most of it recently, still great. Easily my favorite big network show from this 10s era.

RIP Limitless you were too good for this world
[close]

Dennis

« Reply #13768 on: October 08, 2017, 01:18:04 AM »
Ozark.

Loved it. Had a few issues with it but overall just fantastic.

nudemacusers

« Reply #13769 on: October 08, 2017, 11:57:31 AM »
Will co-sign, this show is great. Surprisingly sincere and honest look at adolescence.

Also has some amazing lines...

“You get turned on by that? What about a button up shirt?”

“A giant asshole and 10 clits”

:dead
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #13770 on: October 08, 2017, 06:40:09 PM »
Yeah PoI ended up in this weird place where the network didn't care too much about what they were doing story wise (Jonathan in interviews towards the end said they basically stopped getting notes around the last few years) but this ended up hurting their scheduling. IIRC the final season was basically done for almost a year before CBS was like yeah i guess we have to finally air this now?
Yeah, they aired the final season in fucking May after all the other shows had ended. I saw an interview where CBS had already committed to that final season but wouldn't tell them how many episodes and they never expected a full 22 so they kept being like "13? Is 13 good?" and CBS was like "i dunno, maybe do a whole season on less budget in case we need it early" when they knew that was never happening.

The weirdest thing of all is that its ratings weren't tanking and CBS had backed it so strongly for the first three seasons, you can tell in the first season they don't have anywhere near the budget. But CBS didn't own it so it was in the way of more NCISes and CSI:Cyber!

RIP Limitless you were too good for this world
[close]
I always thought this was a mistake not extending because it was such a versatile show in terms of they could slot it in after comedies, etc. and fill cancelled show gaps with it. Something they've done with Elementary for a couple years now. I imagine MacGyver finds itself in this role if it gets another season, the dumb thing is that it's almost the same show but worse and Limitless almost surely got canned for it and... Scorpion's going to start moving around the schedule too if its ratings collapse is legit. Limitless would be a way better show to stick behind two hours of sitcoms than a show so full of weird ass angst and anger with a near 100% unlikable cast like Scorpion.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #13771 on: October 08, 2017, 07:12:35 PM »
I watched all of American Vandal today. For such a limited concept its surprisingly hilarious.

benjipwns

« Reply #13772 on: October 08, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
You mentioned Covert Affairs. I don't know this show so how does it compare to PoI and Burn Notice?
Covert Affairs was the fifth show added to USA after they started their run of shows with Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar and Royal Pains which they would continue to do with some others that never lasted except Graceland which all had roughly the same setup as Burn Notice in particular.

Namely, a main character with one or two "creative" sidekicks who had a case to handle each week, while the season and/or the show itself had a larger unfolding story/mystery.

Covert Affairs was most similar in that it was also about CIA/spycraft. Initially it was based around the main character Annie who was a rookie agent and had a focus on how can she be an agent but also have a normal/love life, etc. and there was some weird underlying political drama that was leading nowhere. Then for the third season they threw everything out, got rid of her sister and her family (they moved), murdered one of the main characters with a car bomb and turned it into a serialized series of mini-arcs and one maxi-arc that started looking at the darker side of spycraft regarding allies and enemies vs. the real world situation, the pressures of deep cover (whereas previous all her covers lasted for the single episode), operating on all sides of all laws, and ultimately started to explore the notion of Annie's original earnest character being beaten down by "the game" which was shown in the first two seasons to be so fun and exciting and good times.

It became one of my favorites, from something I just left on with the rest of the USA shows, and the seriously drastic change it went through to become really compelling. But it got shot down after five seasons and when USA decided to completely dump all their series. Only unlike Burn Notice and White Collar it wasn't handed a short season to do an ending for. Which in a lot of ways makes me wish it never got the fifth season because the ending of the fourth season was so well handled, especially in comparison to Burn Notice's obsession with phony excess and climaxes and BIG BADS that fail to deliver. And the fifth season started introducing too many things that were obviously not part of the season arc but for later, but there was no later.

semi-spoil of season four's ending but i love it so much i have to talk about it:
Annie follows the BIG BAD OF EVERYTHING, who has dominated every near attempt to stop him throughout the season and pulled off insane twist murders on his own, through the crowds in the street somewhere in China, when he tries to lose her by stepping into an alley, she already had, he realizes it's the BIG SHOWDOWN and goes to give a villain speech, she just shoots him and leaves his body there with the shot lingering on the alley and the body.
[close]

also the whole season starts off in medias res before flashing back, it was just so great considering how the other shows were wearing out their welcomes with REVEALS of pointlessness and lousy bad guys and how disappointing Covert Affairs had been especially in terms of fleeing anytime it started to show some balls

edit: 2013 thread where fistful was like "wtf when did this become 24" and I jabbered about it back then, along with some of our other fine upstanding members plus thisismyusername:
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=41105.0

forgot the whole original stupid ass arc about her ex-boyfriend the series started off with...they dropped that like a live grenade in the second season and sent the guy into one-time come back episode status before pretending like he had never existed after that :lol

also, i watched Graceland since then and it was okay, really good...in the second season maybe? but it never got to resolve some plots and also there were a shit load of problems with the characterization on that show

i noticed Chuck has survived the seeming USA ensemble actor curse and been promoted to starring next to Scott Bakula on NCIS: Bakula

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13773 on: October 08, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
Covert Affairs was the fifth show added to USA after they started their run of shows with Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar and Royal Pains which they would continue to do with some others that never lasted except Graceland which all had roughly the same setup as Burn Notice in particular.

Namely, a main character with one or two "creative" sidekicks who had a case to handle each week, while the season and/or the show itself had a larger unfolding story/mystery.

Covert Affairs was most similar in that it was also about CIA/spycraft. Initially it was based around the main character Annie who was a rookie agent and had a focus on how can she be an agent but also have a normal/love life, etc. and there was some weird underlying political drama that was leading nowhere. Then for the third season they threw everything out, got rid of her sister and her family (they moved), murdered one of the main characters with a car bomb and turned it into a serialized series of mini-arcs and one maxi-arc that started looking at the darker side of spycraft regarding allies and enemies vs. the real world situation, the pressures of deep cover (whereas previous all her covers lasted for the single episode), operating on all sides of all laws, and ultimately started to explore the notion of Annie's original earnest character being beaten down by "the game" which was shown in the first two seasons to be so fun and exciting and good times.

It became one of my favorites, from something I just left on with the rest of the USA shows, and the seriously drastic change it went through to become really compelling. But it got shot down after five seasons and when USA decided to completely dump all their series. Only unlike Burn Notice and White Collar it wasn't handed a short season to do an ending for. Which in a lot of ways makes me wish it never got the fifth season because the ending of the fourth season was so well handled, especially in comparison to Burn Notice's obsession with phony excess and climaxes and BIG BADS that fail to deliver. And the fifth season started introducing too many things that were obviously not part of the season arc but for later, but there was no later.

semi-spoil of season four's ending but i love it so much i have to talk about it:
Annie follows the BIG BAD OF EVERYTHING, who has dominated every near attempt to stop him throughout the season and pulled off insane twist murders on his own, through the crowds in the street somewhere in China, when he tries to lose her by stepping into an alley, she already had, he realizes it's the BIG SHOWDOWN and goes to give a villain speech, she just shoots him and leaves his body there with the shot lingering on the alley and the body.
[close]

also the whole season starts off in medias res before flashing back, it was just so great considering how the other shows were wearing out their welcomes with REVEALS of pointlessness and lousy bad guys and how disappointing Covert Affairs had been especially in terms of fleeing anytime it started to show some balls

edit: 2013 thread where fistful was like "wtf when did this become 24" and I jabbered about it back then, along with some of our other fine upstanding members plus thisismyusername:
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=41105.0

forgot the whole original stupid ass arc about her ex-boyfriend the series started off with...they dropped that like a live grenade in the second season and sent the guy into one-time come back episode status before pretending like he had never existed after that :lol

also, i watched Graceland since then and it was okay, really good...in the second season maybe? but it never got to resolve some plots and also there were a shit load of problems with the characterization on that show

i noticed Chuck has survived the seeming USA ensemble actor curse and been promoted to starring next to Scott Bakula on NCIS: Bakula

I AM TRYING TO RESPOND WITHOUT READING THE SPOILERTEXT.

So if I have typos, that's why: I'm not looking at the screen. :lol

I tried watching the first episode of Covert Affairs, but couldn't hack its cheerful triteness. Hearing it compared to PoI and Burn Notice, I'll have to give it another shot.

benjipwns

« Reply #13774 on: October 08, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
season and series trendlines from imdb episode user scores:

TVC15

« Reply #13775 on: October 08, 2017, 11:10:40 PM »
Entourage had a pretty great season finale last night.

I really have a love/hate relationship with the show. I kind of wish it was only about Ari.

We forgot the 8 year anniversary of this post, bros. #neverforget
serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13776 on: October 09, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13777 on: October 09, 2017, 02:17:12 AM »

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13778 on: October 09, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »

Huh. I was under the impression that the 10th season bombed critically and ratings-wise but I guess I was wrong. I didn't watch it so is it any good?

Lol I just can't take Kit Harington seriously as an actor no matter what. And that moustache doesn't do him any favours either :rofl

Trailer looks okay tho
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:47:26 AM by desert punk »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13779 on: October 09, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Rewatched The Knick S1, in prep for finishing S2 which I didn't complete due to some fuckery. It still holds up very well. The pacing is fast, the exposition is sparse, and there's virtually no filler. Most shows have at least one season-long side plot that is just weak. The Knick avoids this masterfully while presenting multiple arcs that could all be the main story. My only complaint is there's one ep that kinda seems almost trivial. Probably the wrong word to use to describe an episode about a race riot, but the TONE of the episode just seems off when compared to other episodes.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13780 on: October 09, 2017, 12:18:55 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13781 on: October 09, 2017, 12:34:53 PM »

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13782 on: October 09, 2017, 12:38:03 PM »
Covert Affairs was the fifth show added to USA after they started their run of shows with Psych, Burn Notice, White Collar and Royal Pains....

Thanks for the write-up :like

Sounds interesting! So if I decided to watch it should I bother with the first two seasons or should I jump straightaway to season 3?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #13783 on: October 09, 2017, 01:13:47 PM »
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #13784 on: October 09, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »
I haven't felt secondhand embarrassment like this in probably more than ten years, Jesus fucking Christ.

Reb

• Hon. Mr. Tired
« Reply #13785 on: October 09, 2017, 02:50:14 PM »
It's incredible how some people are defending this as being staged, like that makes it less embarrassing.
brb

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #13786 on: October 09, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »
We're one episode away from concluding the third season of Better Call Kim Wexler (and I'm aware of how the main plot will wrap up next) and it's still a great show all around. Super cast, interesting characters, great visual aesthetics, etc... But it seems obvious now it's all about bridging the gap to Breaking Bad and I feel the show will lose some of its own impetus. I mean really this season will conclude its core plot and by now the protagonist is unambiguously indefensible...

(terrific scenes by Odendirk with the insurance agent and seniors BTW)
[close]

...so I'm feeling we're soon gonna hit that point of diminishing returns most long running shows have, with the writing getting more aimless as it essentially produce filler for as long as the thing can get renewed.

Haven't started Orange is the new black latest season, but that show is already there really. Still will be glad to keep following the characters, I guess.
ὕβρις

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13787 on: October 09, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
Big Mouth is really great! It's funny as hell but like nudemacusers said, the show still manages to be very perceptive about the characters and how they handle growing up, without getting all trashy or mean about it. It's actually rather sweet at times...

Episode 2 was hilarious with it's depiction of the social dynamics of school bus rides:

"You and Male Lesbian are middle-of-the-bus people."

"Don't sit with the kid with the rolly backpack. He can't read social cues."

Dennis

« Reply #13788 on: October 09, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
Why aren't you watching Ozark?

More people need to watch so I can get a season 2.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13789 on: October 09, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »

Show looks great. The book its based on was groundbreaking. It's the book that led Thomas Harris to write Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs, etc.

Simple rent payments are what drove him to write Hannibal, and Hannibal Rising was probably cocaine money, but I'm straying from the point. (Much like Thomas did.)

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13790 on: October 09, 2017, 07:58:15 PM »
He wrote Hannibal Rising because the movie was being made with or without him, and wanted to handle it himself instead of letting someone else do it. Trashy af but the NBC show handled the material pretty well tho imo

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13791 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
yeah and they way they handled it well was by having a lot of it be more implied/hinted at instead of diving head first into it. Background coloring.  :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13792 on: October 09, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
He wrote Hannibal Rising because the movie was being made with or without him, and wanted to handle it himself instead of letting someone else do it. Trashy af but the NBC show handled the material pretty well tho imo

I'm just… so unhappy that such a refreshingly new boogieman was turned into such a joke by the later books and movies. He was horrifying in the first two books. And then he's turned into an antihero with an origin story, and he even lives with or beds Starling in some fucking villa after she walks away from everything her life has meant. WTF. :maf

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13793 on: October 09, 2017, 11:17:40 PM »
Yeah, the last two movies, especially Rising, are so cartoonish and silly. Rising is also really boring and forgettable, whereas the camp of Hannibal sticks with you a bit. The shot of Ray Liotta's exposed brain being revealed is an image I sometimes think of and chuckle about. Another case in point for my argument that Ridley Scott is a hack

yeah and they way they handled it well was by having a lot of it be more implied/hinted at instead of diving head first into it. Background coloring.  :lol

The show itself also eventually leans into the kitsch by the middle of the second season, so once they get around to dealing with his sister you've kind of been eased into the waters of the elevated goofiness of the show

Tasty

« Reply #13794 on: October 09, 2017, 11:22:56 PM »
Ridley's not a hack. Hack has a very specific, work-for-hire connotation.

But it's clear that most of the time, his vision exceeds his grasp. I would say most director's are like him, but most directors didn't burst onto the scene with Alien and so were far less noticed.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13795 on: October 09, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »
His grasp is hella weak. He hasn't made shit that's good for decades besides maybe Matchstick Men, which I liked, and The Martian, which was tolerable but I completely forgot about as soon as it ended. At least Tony knew his lane and made fun dumb shit. True Romance? That shit's a classic

nudemacusers

« Reply #13796 on: October 09, 2017, 11:44:15 PM »
His grasp is hella weak. He hasn't made shit that's good for decades besides maybe Matchstick Men, which I liked, and The Martian, which was tolerable but I completely forgot about as soon as it ended. At least Tony knew his lane and made fun dumb shit. True Romance? That shit's a classic
Comparatively, tony’s recent work has been much more consistent.  :doge

Sorry I’ll go to bed now.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TVC15

« Reply #13797 on: October 09, 2017, 11:51:41 PM »
I think Ridley is just kinda shitty at picking scripts/projects.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13798 on: October 10, 2017, 12:42:45 AM »
Ridley's highs are higher but Tony I think was always a bit more clear with his intentions as a filmmaker. That is, he was making pretty fucking movies.

The Last Boy Scout and Man on Fire are a god damn classic though so put some respek on his god name.

Actually look at this filmography...nudemac is right. Tony > Ridley

Beverley Hills Cop 2
The Last Boy Scout
Man on Fire
Enemy of the State
Top Gun

what ridley got? Alien...BR...KH:DC , black hawk down...yeah idk Im still leaning Tony right now.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13799 on: October 10, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
Tony didn't make Prometheus so he wins.