Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2082774 times)

Valhelm

Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #14100 on: November 09, 2017, 12:32:34 AM »
so far this season the only shows I've watched to completion are The Deuce and Stranger Things.

what are the best shows i'm missing

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14101 on: November 09, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »
so far this season the only shows I've watched to completion are The Deuce and Stranger Things.

what are the best shows i'm missing

Watch Vice Principals from the beginning! It takes a few eps to get going, but by the back end of the first season it's gold. It's a half hour so it isn't a chore to watch.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14102 on: November 09, 2017, 01:16:34 PM »
DAMN IT.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Darlene did die this episode.
[close]

And USA overhyped this episode. It was solid and intense with
Angela having to get past the rioters and starting the hack herself
[close]
but "GROUND BREAKING/YOU'RE GONNA TALK ABOUT IT A LOT!" it isn't. :doge

good ep though, and that organ score bit at the end

:whew

paprikastaude

« Reply #14103 on: November 11, 2017, 02:49:01 PM »
Narcos S1: Well, that was pretty intense.
Narcos S2 midseason: Well, this is quickly turning into ludicrous and predictable shlock. What the fuck?

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14104 on: November 11, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Narcos season 1 was fun schlock, Narcos season 2 is garbage tier
zzzzz

kingv

« Reply #14105 on: November 11, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »
Woman and I have been watching Girlfriend Experience. It’s a pretty weird show, and the main character is super unlivable in season 1 (and not much better in season 2).

You’d think it would be more titillating, but it kind of isn’t.

Hyped for The Royals to come back. If your girl wat he’s that shit, watch it with her, 1) there’s a ton of hot chicks 2) it’s pretty damn funny. I started watching it to be nice, and really ended up liking it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14106 on: November 11, 2017, 07:20:36 PM »
S2 of Lady Dynamite. Please just check out the first few minutes to cross that off your bucket list lmao
:9

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14107 on: November 11, 2017, 07:32:58 PM »
Narcos S1: Well, that was pretty intense.
Narcos S2 midseason: Well, this is quickly turning into ludicrous and predictable shlock. What the fuck?

Was pretty stoked for that show. I even read Mark Bowden's Killing Pablo again for the occasion. And I quite liked it for the first half or so of the first season but then I got increasingly annoyed by it. Mostly because I was confused how the producers deviated from the actual order of events. I know, dramatic license and all that, and normally I don't really care that much about realism as long as I'm entertained. But it bothered me because it didn't really make much sense at times. Things like the passage of time and other shit.

Some of the characters, or rather their actors also bothered me. My god, I hated that fucking American cop with a passion. He was so bad and his voice-overs were even worse. I so much wanted to reach into my tv and pluck his shitty mustache, hair by fucking hair :maf

paprikastaude

« Reply #14108 on: November 11, 2017, 09:42:52 PM »
I haven't read up on anything, but during season 2 you can really see where nonsense filler material comes in. It's a total immersion breaker when you can predict certain tropes and soap opera nonsense drags the story out because they wanted a few more seasons.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14109 on: November 12, 2017, 01:55:46 AM »
Re-started Daredevil last night as the new show to watch with the wife. She loved Jessica Jones, but Daredevil may be too dark for her. I think JJ's message of empowerment is also alleviating that show's inherent darkness.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14110 on: November 12, 2017, 02:44:39 AM »
Just started Star Trek: The Next Generation. Loving the show, hate Wesley Crusher. His mom is hot as shit, though. Lots of women in this show are hot as shit.
:mynicca

they get hotter as they age and the "real world" fashions change away from a late 1980s-early 1990s vision of the future, Troi and Beverly are arguably way more attractive in First Contact and Insurrection than they were ten years younger

come in the Trek thread, it's a safe space breh, we regularly have people going through series for the first time, even stuff that everyone "knows" even if they've never really watched like TNG, right now Stoney and chrono have been working through Enterprise of all things...not too long ago somebody else went through TNG for the first time

it's not all just new films and the new series (some of us are putting that off, like i am Mr. Robot, until the season break/end since it's serialized)

and you've also got me who is me like always, but Trek was one of my first fandoms to where i read the novels as a kid let alone watched all the series from TNG season 2ish forward plus the films

my first Trek movie in the theaters was V...it could only get better from there! though i didn't really get most of it other than the action to see how bad it was

second time was a charm though with VI, though i assume i must have been the only kid under 10 there and understanding the plot :lol

for some reason i recall very vividly the theater laughing at Chekov's "guess who's coming to dinner line" that Nichelle Nichols refused to say and not getting why it's an amazingly Trekian character relevant line rather than a joke, i as a kid and everyone else knowing the reference took it as...something, along with Nichols and other blacks on the cast's refusal to say certain lines in the script AND WHY, i obviously wouldn't learn for probably a decade later
[close]

Christopher Plummer alert too! :doge
[close]
[close]

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14111 on: November 12, 2017, 04:37:13 AM »
I haven't read up on anything, but during season 2 you can really see where nonsense filler material comes in. It's a total immersion breaker when you can predict certain tropes and soap opera nonsense drags the story out because they wanted a few more seasons.

Lol yeah, the soap opera shit was another thing that annoyed me the more I watched. Stopped watching Narco even before the season 1 finale I think.

What's season 3 about? The Cali Cartel? Unlike the Medellin Cartel I don't know much about Cali and as long as they keep Escobar buried for good, then maybe I'll come back...

Re-started Daredevil last night as the new show to watch with the wife. She loved Jessica Jones, but Daredevil may be too dark for her. I think JJ's message of empowerment is also alleviating that show's inherent darkness.

Weird because for me it's the other way around. Daredevil was dark, yes but more on a level of, say, a Nolan Batman flick. The subject matter and especially the villain of Jessica Jones on the other hand made me deeply uncomfortable at times.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:45:43 AM by desert punk »

benjipwns

« Reply #14112 on: November 12, 2017, 04:45:41 AM »
I will later, especially if I have any questions. So far everything has been pretty self explanatory. As a guy who never really sat through Trek but loved a lot of things based on it, influenced by it, reference it, etc. etc. I feel like I'm already going in with a primer purely made of second hand information.
that was one of the things that i most disliked about Abrams two films because of what they did to the plot in their effort to not only tie it to the old Trek universe but also re-explain and give a primer while also not doing that really or anything new with the characters (other than a bad romance) because they didn't have the time, Trek is such a cultural force that they did so much they didn't need to do it because people know Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty even if they never saw the show or movies other than a bit here or there...

where it doesn't work is with Khan, almost nobody's seen his one episode from TOS, people know references to Wrath of Khan but they used absolutely none of any of that background for the character in ID, yet they have a big dramatic moment where he states "My. Name. Is. Khan." To which the rational response is...okay? Which is the whole reason they need to have Spock call up Old Spock to get the low down. (which consists of "he's dangerous, be careful" something they already knew and why they had him in the brig probably)

it's also why i'm generally against origin stories for all these comic adaptions, especially if there's already been one, nobody needs it unless it's a lesser known character like Ant Man or Doctor Strange and/or the origin story has a relevance that can be used that hasn't before (Iron Man/Batman Begins)

i think a lot of the villain issues in these films are related to this kind of stuff, you generally have them for one film, yet most of the film does nothing with them, they should be the star, which is arguably what The Dark Knight, and Batman (1989) and Wrath of Khan all did...and why they always get drug out as examples...Loki's been memorable because of the performance, his own two times as "the villain" have been as shit as the rest of em if Hiddleston wasn't killing it, it's also why he's now worked twice as Thor's untrustworthy sidekick
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #14113 on: November 12, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »
Part of me wants an episode in the second season of Jessica Jones to have Eric Andre, Dreama Walker and James Van Der Beek in it. Even if it's only small cameos.

The Don't Trust The Bitch Extended Universe: Jessica Jones, The Eric Andre Show, What Would Diplo Do?, Supergirl, Doubt

benjipwns

« Reply #14114 on: November 12, 2017, 05:04:44 AM »
Which is proof that when they eventually have adapted everything and the single studio left in Hollywood finally crosses over DC and Marvel to do the Amalgam Universe films, James Van Der Beek has to play a central role in it as he's clearly the connecting point.

benjipwns

« Reply #14115 on: November 12, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
The first season as a whole isn't bad bad as much as everything's kinda one note. Everyone's so dumb serious and the relationships aren't in place yet.

Plus for the second episode they had the characters already act completely out of character just as a callback to the TOS.

Fifth episode...so you're past the African planet (which I always thought was less deliberately racist and more offensive in terms of its writing even if they had been cacs) and are closing in on one of the ultimate "Wesley/first season" episodes.

benjipwns

« Reply #14116 on: November 12, 2017, 08:40:22 AM »
Also we should probably shut up about Amalgam before some executive sees "WOLVERINE PLUS BATMAN?!?!?" and we have another Avatar situation.

My favorite part of that dumb storyline was how they had the fans vote on the outcomes of a bunch of the fights, but they all suck and are meaningless anyway. So the only good matchup is when Batman and Captain America stare at each other for a bit and go "okay, so, we're evenly matched here...um, maybe we should be adults and figure this thing out unlike everyone else."

Though maybe that was in Avengers vs. JLA instead.
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14117 on: November 12, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
used to be more of a deanna troi boy but i became more of a beverly crusher man  :-[

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14118 on: November 12, 2017, 11:30:35 AM »
best tv theme song ever

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14119 on: November 13, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
I thought the start of this season of Vice Principals was a little weak, but the last few episodes really killed it. Great finale.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14120 on: November 13, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »

Weird because for me it's the other way around. Daredevil was dark, yes but more on a level of, say, a Nolan Batman flick. The subject matter and especially the villain of Jessica Jones on the other hand made me deeply uncomfortable at times.

Yeah, very much so. It is weird that Fisk destroying a man's head by repeatedly closing a car door on it, which is horrific but for about 30 seconds, can be seen as more horrific than the systematic degradation and dehumanization of hundreds of people. I was much more terrified of Kilgrave than Kingpin. Not that Fisk isn't scary. He's plenty scary. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14121 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:32 AM »
used to be more of a deanna troi boy but i became more of a beverly crusher man  :-[
:why_not_both.gif

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14122 on: November 13, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »
So it's official now: Amazon acquired the rights to produce a multi-season tv show based in the LotR universe, though it's not another adaption of the trilogy but instead it's a prequel.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

I guess they're not going to adapt The Hobbit again, so maybe the prequel is based between that one and the trilogy, tho I'm not sure what exactly happened in that timeframe that's worth to make multiple seasons out of it.

Not thrilled about this. So many other great fantasy shit out there for adaption but because the head honcho is a LotR nerd we get this instead  :snoop
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:43:38 PM by desert punk »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14123 on: November 13, 2017, 03:33:19 PM »
"in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust"

LOL proof that the only reason why Christopher was so pissy at the movies was that he didn't get money.

At least this means that they should have access to The Silmarillion, which I think has enough stories for them to do this right.  I'd love for each season to be a different time in the story, which would work since half the characters are elves so they can stay with the same actors.

The second age wars would be pretty good as well. 

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14124 on: November 13, 2017, 03:42:58 PM »
I think I phrased that wrong in the beginning.

It says in the article I linked that Amazon acquired "the global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien". So I don't think The Silmarillion is included in that deal, only that the writers would be allowed to create original stuff based on the LotR books. At least that's what the blogger I heard the news from first reckoned.

TVC15

« Reply #14125 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:30 PM »
No one gonna curr unless they add jumbo nekkid titties.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #14126 on: November 13, 2017, 05:07:42 PM »
elf tiddies  :holeup

hobbit tiddies  :shaq
duc

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14127 on: November 13, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »
If we don't see young Gandalf hang dong then what's the point?
zzzzz

TVC15

« Reply #14128 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Post-Hobbit Bilbo runnin’ a brothel of jailbat (under 70 year old) dwarves.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14129 on: November 13, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
def. tryna see some elves fuck

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #14130 on: November 13, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »
They're gonna sink a billion dollars on this snoozefest and it's still gonna be a pain in the ass to watch it because Amazon Video's UI will still be a Kafkaesque waking nightmare that they haven't spent a dime on >:(

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14131 on: November 13, 2017, 09:04:03 PM »
Naw dawg it’s easy to pirate tho

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14132 on: November 13, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
elf tiddies :shaq

hobbit tiddies  :holeup

Fixed that for you, Bilbo.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #14133 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
Sad to see Vice Principals end.  What a good show :(
🍆🍆

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #14134 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »
Those last two episodes of Vice Principals were fucking WILD.
AMC

TVC15

« Reply #14135 on: November 13, 2017, 11:47:28 PM »
I’m glad HBO already has Danny pinned down to do another show.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14136 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:28 PM »
I was semi-enjoying AHS Cult but the finale was just plain stupid, full of plot gaps and dropped subplots in favor of some stupid future cutaway story. This might be the worst season finale of a show I've ever seen.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14137 on: November 14, 2017, 11:33:27 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14138 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:45 AM »
All that hype for da commercial free episode, but I always watch commercial free anyway. sandwhich guy and leet old hag rule doe!

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14139 on: November 15, 2017, 09:07:06 PM »
Been going through the first season of The Expanse, seven episodes in. I hope this is a slow burn to the insane thing they seem to be alluding to on Phoebe Station. I am enjoying the ride even if there is no payoff down the line.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14140 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
it's still well paced in season two

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #14141 on: November 15, 2017, 10:48:04 PM »
Watched the second season of Stranger Things.

I enjoyed it but not as much as the first season. I think my issue this season was the supernatural elements weren't as interesting to me this go around. There was a lot of mystery in that first season and there was a lot less mystery by comparison in the second season both with the main plot and because we are familiar with the characters.

There was still enough fun elements with the kids to make it worth watching and in general I enjoyed the season plenty, I'm just not sure how many times they can go the same well before it starts to run dry.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14142 on: November 15, 2017, 11:12:56 PM »
Holy shit. Tonight's Mr. Robot got real.

All ya'll not watching due to Season 2: :umad :ufup

71 buildings were bombed instead of ONE. White Rose basically won.
[close]

This felt like a season finale with all the shit popping off. It's kinda hilarious Sam and crew hyped up last episode when this actually had the IMPACT of what happened in that previous episode.

Cryo

« Reply #14143 on: November 16, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »
Holy shit. Tonight's Mr. Robot got real.
:anhuld :anhuld :anhuld :anhuld :anhuld :anhuld
This season is certainly one hell of a course correction in pacing and plot movement after S2.

TVC15

« Reply #14144 on: November 16, 2017, 02:31:15 AM »
Going to this in January, the day before my birthday.

http://sched.co/CzIz

"SF Sketchfest pays tribute to the amazing world of "Twin Peaks" in the shadow of San Francisco's Twin Peaks at the Castro Theatre. Join us for an afternoon with cast members from David Lynch and Mark Frost's beloved series featuring an in-depth discussion about the old series, the new series and everything in between. Find out if the owls truly are not what they seem."

Featuring Dana Ashbrook, Josh Fadem, Harry Goaz, Michael Horse, Matthew Lillard, James Marshall, Kimmy Robertson, Ray Wise.

I'm getting VIP so I get meet and greet to touch Bobby, James, and Ray Wise.
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14145 on: November 16, 2017, 03:40:31 AM »
Daredevil s1 has pretty much R-rated violence in every episode. I mean, I read Frank Miller's original DD run when it was coming out, and it felt gritty, but this show is just fine showing some Eli Roth level meanness.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14146 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:20 AM »
Been going through the first season of The Expanse, seven episodes in. I hope this is a slow burn to the insane thing they seem to be alluding to on Phoebe Station. I am enjoying the ride even if there is no payoff down the line.
I didn't notice any kind of pacing issue. OTOH I was enthralled with the visuals, and had read the book, so I wasn't waiting for stuff to happen.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14147 on: November 16, 2017, 04:03:28 AM »

I heard people complaining about season 1 of The Expanse being rather sluggish. I didn't really perceive it that way; there's a lot of tension and a palpable sense of urgency and dread even before things get hectic on Eros Station. But then again, I did read the Expanse novels up to and including book 3. So I dunno, maybe knowing what happened made things different for me.

Anyway, the show is well worth watching and better than the original books even. Tho I haven't seen season 2 yet, so maybe there's a dip in quality...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14148 on: November 16, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
Yeah I think the Expanse pace was fine too.
ὕβρις

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #14149 on: November 16, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
The internet's best movie review show, On Cinema At The Cinema, is back!

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/on-cinema/the-trial-day-1/

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14150 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »
When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose!
zzzzz

Tasty

« Reply #14151 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:42 AM »
Daredevil s1 has pretty much R-rated violence in every episode. I mean, I read Frank Miller's original DD run when it was coming out, and it felt gritty, but this show is just fine showing some Eli Roth level meanness.

I've rewatched s1 like three times and I actually have no idea what you're talking about.

Tasty

« Reply #14152 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »
Also Eli Roth is trash.

TVC15

« Reply #14153 on: November 16, 2017, 11:15:42 AM »
Knock Knock is the best bad movie sine The Room.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14154 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Knock Knock did have that hawt Keanu sex scene 🤔

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14155 on: November 17, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
Always Sunny is being taken off Netflix in December. Its my #1 goto background show when doing shit. This is bullshit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14156 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »
Three episodes in to The Punisher, kinda boring. :zzz I hope Alt-Right Man gets his own Netflix series.
©@©™

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #14157 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »
Always Sunny is being taken off Netflix in December. Its my #1 goto background show when doing shit. This is bullshit.
Wait, where do you live? I never saw it on Netflix. :(

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14158 on: November 18, 2017, 11:15:13 AM »
punisher is great 3 episodes in

paprikastaude

« Reply #14159 on: November 18, 2017, 11:34:48 AM »
I don't care much for it after 3 episodes. Nothing seems to stand out (or happen), except for the occassional cringey side-character. Daredevil I enjoyed in the first half of each season. This feels more like the second half of the DD shows, in which the budget for setpieces/cinematography seemingly took nosedives and the story always fizzles out.