Author Topic: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads  (Read 852544 times)

Bebpo

Re: Bore Comics Thread: Crisis On Infinite Megathreads
« Reply #3660 on: May 25, 2015, 04:46:23 AM »
And in non-marvel, I've been on a Batman kick lately because somehow, Batman never gets old and is more enjoyable than 99% of all other superhero comics.  After finishing Arkham Origins, I watched Assault on Arkham which was alright, and then I read The Long Halloween which was greaaaat.  Loved the noir mobster murder mystery plot, loved the art, had a lot of neat scenes and incorporated a bunch of Batman villians.  Pretty much was a story that had a bit of everything Batman.  Then I read The Killing Joke and wasn't too impressed.  I felt like Alan Moore's Joker feels way too far from the Joker that I know from the Hamill Animated Series Joker and Arkham games Joker.  He's kind of too...normal and his origin story is totally boring and it's really hard picturing that the guy in the origin story could become the person that is the modern Joker.  Didn't help that I really disliked the art in this one and it was way too wordy prose-wise, plus it was a pretty short little tale and after reading the 13 issue Long Halloween it felt lacking.

Gonna read some other Batman soon, would like some more stuff on the quality of The Long Halloween.  Gonna read Hush and Morrison's Arkham Asylum, maybe Miller's The Dark Knight Returns but I'm worried that'll spoil a lot of Batman v Superman's plotline on the Batman side and I wanna go into that fresh.  I did read Year One a while back and liked it a lot.  That and the two I read this weekend are probably the only Batman comics I've read as I mainly know Batman from the animated series and the movies/games.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #3661 on: May 25, 2015, 08:58:11 AM »
Didn't help that I really disliked the art in this one

disliking Brian Bolland?

bebpo plz
Boo

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3662 on: May 25, 2015, 08:59:51 AM »
Killing Joke is definitely of its time, like DKR.  I liked it okay, but it's not amongst my favorite Batman stories. I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say they didn't like Brian Bolland's art, though :lol
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3663 on: May 25, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »
Dark Victory is a direct followup to Long Halloween, so you should check that out next, Bebpo.
sup

Tasty

« Reply #3664 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
CONVERGENCE SPOILERS: http://bit.ly/1ewjnfD

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Convergence has eliminated the collapse of the multiverse in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths

But...Infinite Crisis already did that.  :dizzy
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3665 on: May 27, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »
CONVERGENCE SPOILERS: http://bit.ly/1ewjnfD

Convergence has eliminated the collapse of the multiverse in the original Crisis on Infinite Earths

But...Infinite Crisis already did that.  :dizzy
[close]

WTF?   :lol

WWWWWWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF :rofl

Brainiac explains his origin — that he was basically created by all the DC reboots over the years, as he sought knowledge and traveled through time. "My body lost to the cancerous growths caused by exposure to the multiverse," Brainiac claims. "I wish to return to what I was."
[close]

:dead
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3666 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
I mean, it's what all the DC haters have wanted for years now, and hopefully it frees them up to do a lot more nongrimdark stories, but yeah. :dizzy

Can we go five years without a fucking multiverse-altering event, DC? For crying out loud. :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3667 on: May 27, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
And Earth 2 is, predictably, back again.  And no, that doesn't need to be spoilered.

So basically DC is doing the opposite of what Marvel is doing and bringing back all the alternate realities.   :lol
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3668 on: May 27, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »
Does this mean Batman '66 is canon now?  :hyper
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #3669 on: May 27, 2015, 02:24:21 PM »
Does this mean Batman '66 is canon now?  :hyper

It was always canon (in our hearts.)

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #3670 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:35 PM »
And Earth 2 is, predictably, back again.  And no, that doesn't need to be spoilered.

Golden Age/Justice Society Earth 2?
sup

parallax

« Reply #3671 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:18 PM »

So basically DC is doing the opposite of what Marvel is doing and bringing back all the alternate realities.   :lol

earth prime is back, and im glad.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3672 on: May 28, 2015, 08:24:51 AM »

Golden Age/Justice Society Earth 2?

"New 52" Earth 2.  The Golden Age Earth must have another number now.  So you get the younger versions of Alan Scott Green Lantern, Jay Garrick Flash, and then new versions of Dr. Fate, Hawkgirl, Superman, and Batman (at least, I assume Batman-- Earth 2 Batman died during Convergence but it appears that Earth 2 Dick Grayson will take his place), plus Powergirl and Huntress among others.  Fury also switched sides in the last Earth 2 series, so I assume she'll end up as the new Wonder Woman or something.
ど助平

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #3673 on: June 03, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
Infinity Gauntlet was the surprise of last week.

Secret Wars #3 was good.
Boo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3674 on: June 03, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »
Infinity Gauntlet was the surprise of last week.

Secret Wars #3 was good.

Infinity Gauntlet was great, yeah.  X-Men '92 was the worst of the bunch, I think. 
ど助平

parallax

« Reply #3675 on: June 03, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »
I thought Battleworld sounded awful, but I'm really liking what we got. It's far less gimmicky than I imagined, plus anything with Doom in a central role will be awesome more often than not.

Hickman writes Doom really well.

he writes him as a tragic, sympathetic character, instead of a plot device that can only be beaten by joke characters, so i agree

Tasty

« Reply #3676 on: June 03, 2015, 09:11:28 PM »
Justice League:  Darkseid War started out ok, the focus on WW was weird since I don't read her book but fine. It really reminded me of Final Crisis which can be good or bad...

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #3677 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:39 PM »
Yeah, Secret Wars and Justice League were winners today.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3678 on: June 04, 2015, 03:26:41 AM »
Justice League:  Darkseid War started out ok, the focus on WW was weird since I don't read her book but fine. It really reminded me of Final Crisis which can be good or bad...
That's what it is...it feels like Johns doing the ultimate battle with Darkseid part of Final Crisis. I couldn't put my finger on it.

Speaking of Morrison, I wonder why DC bothered to do The Multiversity and Convergence at basically the same time. Why "map" the Multiverse if you're just going to shatter the concept completely and allow all your books to supposedly go wherever they want. Although technically they will probably "fit" into one of those worlds.

And this was really just an extensively dumb way to end and then reboot the Earth 2 series. I'll have to look at Batman Beyond to see if Futures End's plotline is actually going to go anywhere. I really liked the start of that...and Earth 2...before they went all silly. I can't imagine the readership on Earth 2 was large enough to make them the central characters in Convergence, but maybe it was?

Also, just to comment on confusion you had above I think the primary difference is that Infinite Crisis created a new multiverse, but everything that got wiped out with Crisis was still wiped out unless otherwise noted or changed by Zero Hour/Infinite Crisis/Flashpoint/Bloodlines/Secret Origins/Armaggedon 2001/Hawkworld/Justice League Cry for Justice/etc. What they've done with Convergence is say not only is there a multiverse but all that pre-Crisis stuff never got wiped out in the first place so it's all usable again. (Even though Morrison and others were using it anyway, now they don't need to come up with explanations for it.)

Trinity War/Forever Evil was still the dumbest part of the New 52 imo, felt like it had no plan or point even if it did bring back the Anti-Monitor. (Which means Crisis did happen? Or hadn't in the first place and Convergence explains why? Wait...he came back before multiple times, are there still a bunch of Monitors who don't seem to care about him? Or just Nix Uotan? Or is he just the Monitor of this multiverse since there's multiple multiverses according to The Multiversity.)

The Wonder Woman focus is mostly explained in Divergence, but there's been a running plot in WW about her ignoring/harming her sisters to the benefit of the "world of men." Also, she's now the God of War if that hasn't been mentioned anywhere else and there's a whole bunch of responsibilities with that too she's failing to accept, mainly the whole slaughtering people through war thing. Then there's her internship at the fashion magazine plus wacky dates with the reporter from the Daily Planet.
Also, Donna Troy is back and trying to usurp her throne.
[close]

The thing I liked about Infinite Crisis, wasn't it, as much as the events on either side of it, OMAC Project, Day of Vengeance, 52, Shadowpact, Checkmate, Secret Six, etc. those felt like "big deal" status changing events more than Infinite Crisis itself. Batman's increasing paranoia, Wonder Woman killing, the major changes to how magic worked, the "human" response to the superpowered, the acknowledgement of the need of black ops heroes and not just the Suicide Squad, Black Adam seizing control of a country and personally going to "war" with everybody because why not.

If the Death of the Fourth World/Multiverse hadn't been so poorly handled, Countdown so absolutely terrible, and Blackest Night/Flashpoint so immediately in the wake, Final Crisis would have been maybe a more definitive DC event with The Bleed, The Legion and New Gods so tied in along with Superman and Batman. Should have just expanded Final Crisis by five issues and let Morrison handle the Death of the New Gods/Multiverses to start it. He did more with less than Countdown had done with its attempt at a "big deal" killing off of the different Earths. And it would have kept things tighter.

I guess it's rather amusing that the main analogy of Final Crisis is what DC editorial is now accepting. Convergence's two issues of plot stretched over nine issues with 80% of it hastily explained at the end after [meaningless crap] occurs throughout most of it retroactively made me appreciate Morrison's way of destroying and recreating the Multiverse a lot more. And also bookend plot of The Multiversity. Which now seems like Morrison trying to wrap up his "DC arc" that goes back to Animal Man (or at least Seven Soldiers...he says it only goes back to his return to DC after Marvel, but a lot of the same stuff is all over Doom Patrol and JLA...and Flex Mentallo...and The Filth) before bailing out. (I don't think he's got anything further planned for DC except Wonder Woman Earth One? I know he's got a number of other stuff like the Nameless and Annihilator coming out though and he wanted to focus on creator-owned stuff more.)

Disclosure: OMAC Project was what got me back into DC's mainline comics after I had drifted off following No Man's Land, I thought it and the mid-point of Final Crisis are some of the bigger "high stakes" moments in modern D.C. where I actually felt like a point of no return had been crossed. In Final Crisis it literally was, OMAC left a whole bunch of plot strands danging throughout Checkmate and 52 and into Final Crisis until Rucka left DC and Johns wiped most everything else in DC out with his 500 Green Lantern titles and crossovers and his incoherent after the beginning (kinda like...GL) Flash garbage*.

* :hitler Yeah, yeah, I read all of it and some of it is really good...emphasis on some.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #3679 on: June 04, 2015, 03:27:02 AM »

[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3680 on: June 04, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
Secret Wars 3 was such a great read.  Nice to see the survivors finally popping up and the reasons for Strange acting the way he has been also being revealed.

God Emperor Doom is so amazing. It's really a wasted opportunity that we're only getting this kind of scenario for 8 issues. It should have been the default state for awhile.

Definitely.  Feels like we're not getting enough time in this new world they've created.  This should have been a year-long event if not longer.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3681 on: June 04, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »
Read through Hulk (2014-2015) 1-16.  This was a pretty quick read and the storyline was pretty much entirely self-contained.   It starts out with Bruce Banner getting shot in the head and appearing to be reduced to the mental state of a two year old, but when he turns into the Hulk, the Hulk is unaffected by the brain damage.  An Iron Man-developed Extremis...thing is put inside Banner's head to help fix the brain damage, but he is warned that turning into the Hulk and back could fuck up his mind.

And then they pretty much drop this plotline entirely.

The Extremis thing increases the Hulk's intelligence.  "Hulk is the smartest one there is" now.   He starts dressing in nice clothes and calling himself "Dr. Green."  He hires scientists to work for him in a secret lair (yes, seriously  :lol). Banner is barely present here.  Doc Green then makes it his mission to rid the world of "gamma weapons," AKA other Hulks.  He develops a serum, made from his blood and nanomachines, that will stop gamma-related powers from triggering.  Hulk succeeds in de-powering A-Bomb (Rick Jones, who quickly goes from being pissed at Hulk to being on his side because what the fuck lol), Red She-Hulk (Betty Ross), Skaar (Hulk's son from an alien world),  Gamma Force (some d-list group of gamma-powered military types), and Red Hulk ("Thunderbolt" Ross, who goes down after a series of battles). 

Hulk doesn't de-power Lyra, his daughter from an alternate future, and tries to send her back to her own time...only the A.I. he developed that was assisting him sends her somewhere else, because it has gained total sentience and turned evil.  Lyra is shown in a dimension that appears to be full of tentacle-rape monsters.  Hulk keeps saying he's going to rescue her and never does.
:dead

Hulk's evil A.I. tries to carry on Hulk's de-powering mission, only it wants to kill instead of just neuter powers.  Hulk stops it, but it ends up downloading itself into a SHIELD life model decoy and helps the Red Leader counter the effects of the serum Doc Green injects him with.  Red Leader loses his power, then whatever the A.I. gave him kicks in and he becomes the (green) Leader again.

The series ends with Doc Green finally getting to the last gamma-powered character, She-Hulk.  All the Avengers back her up and Doc Green decides he's not going to de-power her because she can keep her anger under control.  He then reveals that he is "dying," I.E. losing his intelligence and will at some point be back to the savage Hulk again. 

Oh, and who shot Banner?  One of the scientists who worked for Doc Green.  She was hired by Betty Ross to do it, because Betty works for some secret organization that works to prevent world-ending events and Hulk's name came up as a catalyst for an event.  LOLWUT

One interesting thing about this storyline is that Doc Green dreams of a future where he's become evil and has killed all the super heroes.  He is very clearly depicted...as the Maestro.   :o

Lastly, what about poor Lyra?  Well, the last two scientists working for Doc Green decide to go find and rescue her themselves in a back-up story at the end of Hulk #16.  This is made very comical and it turns out that the dimension Lyra was in is inhabited by various anthropomorphic beast-men.  The tentacle monster is actually a female Shuma Gorath-looking thing who is intelligent and kind of a nice person.  Lyra dominated the beast men and became their queen.  She has a harem of beast men who she fucks on the regular  :yuck and is quite happy.  The scientists' have a fail safe device to take them back to Earth and Lyra is taken with them.  She then makes them work for her and wear little thongs while working on a way to return her to that dimension and holy shit glad this is over and it's time for Secret Wars.
 :dizzy

Also Superior Iron Man ended...with kind of a wimper.  I blame Secret Wars for the shitty way they ended things (Tony remains an inverted asshole HEY SECRET WARS SO WHO CARES).
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3682 on: June 04, 2015, 09:08:34 AM »
And this was really just an extensively dumb way to end and then reboot the Earth 2 series. I'll have to look at Batman Beyond to see if Futures End's plotline is actually going to go anywhere. I really liked the start of that...and Earth 2...before they went all silly. I can't imagine the readership on Earth 2 was large enough to make them the central characters in Convergence, but maybe it was?

They did have two Earth 2 books for a while, so maybe it was that popular?

Earth 2 ended so badly that I'm happy to see them starting over.  Of course, the series itself changed considerably after the first creative team left the book after a year or so.  It definitely started off much, much better than how it ended.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3683 on: June 04, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
Marvel Comics' reboot will bring all-new characters, No. 1s across the board

"The all-new Hulk ... this character is certain to cause debate," he said. "The same people who went crazy with female Thor will have a field day with this one."

There's also an entirely new Spider-Man. Alonso wouldn't say much more, but hinted that there may be more than one (and the image above would certainly confirm that).

"Will there be enough room for him and Peter Parker? Read and find out," Alonso said, adding: "Wolverine will return to the Marvel Universe (again, this will be something big). Who is Wolverine? You’ll have to read and find out."
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3684 on: June 04, 2015, 01:39:06 PM »
That Iron Man design is uggo.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3685 on: June 04, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
Marvel's New 55
©@©™

parallax

« Reply #3686 on: June 04, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »
why does the article call it a reboot, when they state that the history isnt changing?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3687 on: June 04, 2015, 03:13:09 PM »
why does the article call it a reboot, when they state that the history isnt changing?

Because it's still a 'reboot' regardless.   :lol
ど助平

« Reply #3688 on: June 04, 2015, 03:43:33 PM »
marvel stays snuffing out the xmen. even wolvie cant make it on the banner. apologists where are u now???

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3689 on: June 04, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
marvel stays snuffing out the xmen. even wolvie cant make it on the banner. apologists where are u now???

They said the plan was to throw the X-Men away by shuffling them to some garbage reality all by themselves give them their own 'universe' separate from the rest of the Marvel U.  It's weird to me that Marvel is trying so hard to shit all over the X characters but has let Hickman make Doom and Reed Richards central figures in all these recent big storylines, despite canceling FF out of spite for the new movie.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3690 on: June 04, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
I wonder if that dumb-looking Iron Man armor has someone else in it?  Can't be the same 616 Tony Stark.

And now another Hulk?  Why do they keep remaking the same characters instead of just creating new ones?   :lol
ど助平

parallax

« Reply #3691 on: June 04, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »

Because it's still a 'reboot' regardless.   :lol

if the history still stands, i dont see how its a reboot, unless by reboot you mean in the sense of like going from AoA to to 616.

(Image removed from quote.)

cosmic bound thing, two wolverines, and that bad ass citizen V costume

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3692 on: June 04, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3693 on: June 04, 2015, 10:08:36 PM »
Is that real?  So they're gonna go with Old Man Logan as the "returning" Wolverine and give X-23 his costume?  Weird.
ど助平

« Reply #3694 on: June 05, 2015, 12:21:14 AM »
Marvel has hated the X-Men as a franchise since way before the MCU. This doesn't feel like the shaft though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 04:16:31 AM by Pickles the Firecat »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3695 on: June 05, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »
my girlfriend put together that banner
[close]
nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3696 on: June 07, 2015, 02:36:36 AM »
Marvel has hated the X-Men as a franchise since way before the MCU. This doesn't feel like the shaft though.
How and why? What makes you say that?

Yulwei

« Reply #3697 on: June 07, 2015, 04:22:32 AM »
Rereading The Planetary atm. It's so damn good and I wish there was more stuff like this out there.

parallax

« Reply #3699 on: June 09, 2015, 02:39:37 AM »
Rereading The Planetary atm. It's so damn good and I wish there was more stuff like this out there.

its really good, and i fear that its gonna catch fire through a movie and DC is gonna decide to take a dip into the source and fuck with it watchmen style

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3700 on: June 10, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
"New" Superman - Am pleasantly surprised by this character change so far.  I usually find Superman kind of boring, but his identity being outed and his power levels drastically-decreasing are making for an interesting twist on the character.  I didn't read the comics leading up to this change, so I'm not sure why he's lost so much of his power, how his identity was found, and why he's locked out of his fortress of solitude.  I expect the latter to be how he ends up getting his powers restored later on.  Also wondering why Supergirl hasn't been involved in any of this.  Kind of would have expected the status quo to change and DC to make her step up and become the all-powerful superhero taking charge.

New Batman - Also pleasantly surprised by this.  Batman #41 had a good pace, showing how Gordon ended up becoming Mobile Police Batman and he and the other supporting characters are in the armored suit's cheesiness, even mentioning how it totally looks like a "bat-rabbit costume."  Both Superman and Gordon also met at the end of this month's Batman-Superman comic.

Earth 2 Society - The follow-up to Convergence.  The Earth 2 crew are now on their restored "clone earth" and new cities have been constructed from the wreckage of the giant ships that the population came to the planet in.  This issue focuses on Batman, who is now Dick Grayson.  I'm not a fan of the yellows being used on the costume, but the trenchcoat-cape fusion is kind of cool.  Dick lost control of his legs in Convergence so I assume that the suit he's wearing lets him walk and has other stuff built-in.  Still wondering how someone who was supposed to have been an average-joe type previously is now a superhero, though.  He had no training.  They'll probably just ignore that.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #3701 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:32 AM »
Yeah, everything has been better than I expected so far. They really took advantage to try some new concepts out post-Convergence.

But the main reason I came in here was to post that I just found out Charmed has a "new seasons" series of comics like Buffy/Angel. This amuses me greatly.

Bebpo

« Reply #3702 on: June 26, 2015, 08:12:07 AM »
Man, that Bendis era Daredevil arc around issue 24-30something (1998-2011 run) about Daredevil's identity was seriously GOOD.  Amazing art, amazing writing, super page turner compelling. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3703 on: July 04, 2015, 02:05:39 PM »
Been reading a random assortment of stuff recently:

Jem and the Holograms 1-4 - It's actually, surprisingly, really good, with a very bright color palette, a lighthearted emphasis that avoids the extreme goofiness of the original series, and occasional breaks for psychedelic full-page spreads during the musical performance segments. The first volume rushed the introduction of Synergy a bit too much, but it's slowed down since then and given space for the characters to interact, allow for a bit of character development to set each of them apart. I think most people would probably find enjoyment even without having any prior knowledge of it, and if you do have any prior connection to the franchise it's probably a better modern alternative than that live-action movie.

Kaptara 1-3 - Some human astronauts get sucked through a dimensional rift of some kind and end up on some totally insane alien world. The story itself isn't overly amazing, but it's got a looseness to its dialog that makes it a brisk, amusing read. The main draw, though, is the drug-induced nightmare art and the overall just sheer insanity of everything that happens. The third volume has the protagonists being captured by a village of MRA internet trolls which the comics goes out of its way to treat with the utmost contempt.

Darth Vader 1-7 - Remember when Darth Vader was cool? That's basically what this miniseries is all about, and it's does a very good job of being an antidote to the awful of teenage Anakin in the prequel movies. Vader chases after his estranged son with the help of two psycho droids and an Asian chick, for some reason, while plotting behind the Emperor's back. The art's nice and detailed, but it sometimes feels like it moves through events and from one event to another a bit too quickly, more like a highlight reel for a movie than the actual movie itself. Anybody with nostalgia for the old Star Wars movies should pick it up, definitely.

Descender 1-4 - Really love the art in this one, like a kind of very detailed watercolor painting applied over rough sketches [it works, though, in creating a very unique look]. Good story, too, about these massive robots appearing out of nowhere and nearly wiping out humanity in a matter of minutes. Still early on in the series, from what I can tell, but it's one that I'll stick with.

I also picked up the first volume of the new Barb Wire series. :heh
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #3704 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
I'm guessing that this is from the Darth Vader comic you mentioned:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VSRKX

This is pretty great! It makes more sense than the way things are presented in the movies.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3705 on: July 07, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
Yeah, the movies never really touched on how Vader knew that Luke was his son, other than just inferring that he felt the Force connection between them. Of course, without doing a flashback later, it would have ruined the big reveal.

I'd say that overall it isn't necessarily a great comic or anything, but I like that expands on plot threads that didn't get much focus in the movies and adds some nice POV details.
dog

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #3706 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
just bought the first three volumes of Ms. Marvel.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #3707 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:40 AM »
Alias :rock This was damn good.  Best comedy series I've read in a while.  Felt like Kevin Smith's Clerks if instead of Clerks they were PIs.  I really, really hope they don't fuck the Netflix show up.  Comic is 24 issues of hilarious dark comedy filled with FUCK FUCK SHIT cursing every other word and then like 4 issues of a single serious plot arc at the end to conclude it.  If they make the Netflix show about the one serious plot arc (which they are covering) and make it a super serious "dark" and "gritty" show trying to be like Daredevil... :duh would be completely missing the tone and point of Jessica Jones' character.  Fingers crossed they know what they're doing.

X-Statix - Peter Milligan's X-Statix was a solid parody/satire of the glamerous super hero genre.  I really didn't like the art style which made it take a half-dozen issues to really get me on board (the characters and the art is pretty ugly), but once I got in the groove, I appreciated a lot of the humor and plays on tropes.  Stuff like EL GUAPO the skateboarding superhero and main characters dying permanently left and right was all pretty great.  Hell, the commentary on racial diversity, sexisms, violence and fanboy-ism were fairly legit stuff.  Plus it introduced DOOP and DOOP is awesome.  The arc against the Avengers poking fun at how Avengers are basically the mainstream frat boys of the MCU was good.  Was sad to see it go at the end of the run, though I hear the 2006 Dead Girl mini-series revives it a bit.  Still, would have liked to see more of the characters survive into the MCU besides just DOOP.

Otherwise still working through Bendis' Daredevil which is super super good.  After Bendis Daredevil and Alias I love Bendis' down to earth street level writing.   

Also reading stuff from the early 2000s like Alias and X-Statix where they're really trying their hardest to bring something different to Marvel and make it a little more high brow and critical of its own base gives me a lot of hope for Marvel Comics.  Though as I get further into catching up, I'll see how much of this stuff survives to modern day Marvel.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3708 on: July 09, 2015, 09:53:18 AM »
Secret Wars #4 - Felt really short. Still loving the hell out of God Emperor Doom. Wish we could get like a year of this.

Really hoping
Strange isn't dead.
[close]

Yeah.  I really wish this event was at least a year long.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3709 on: July 13, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »
Batman #42
Superheavy: Part 2

"Bruce Wayne" is "back." Don't know if it's really him or some kind of doppleganger (they had Hush pretend to be Bruce to keep Wayne Corp. business afloat during Batman RIP.)

Bruce choosing to give up being Batman goes against a central tenet of the character. Don't know how I feel about this. Snyder might be losing his touch.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 12:45:59 AM by Tasty Meat »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3710 on: July 13, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
Not the first time that Bruce Wayne has stopped being Batman.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3711 on: July 13, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »
If I had to place bets, I'd say he has amnesia. We'll see.

I don't get the point of Snyder trying to build an entirely new status quo, and doing a decent job of it, only to undermine it from the start (Bruce was at the end of the first "Gordon as Batman" issue.) Seriously, what's the point? An easy escape button?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3712 on: July 13, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »
If I had to place bets, I'd say he has amnesia. We'll see.

I don't get the point of Snyder trying to build an entirely new status quo, and doing a decent job of it, only to undermine it from the start (Bruce was at the end of the first "Gordon as Batman" issue.) Seriously, what's the point? An easy escape button?

I haven't read it yet, but I skimmed the issue and looked at the ending-- they call him "Mr. Wayne" so I doubt it's an amnesia angle, unless you mean everyone knows who he is but he doesn't remember being Batman or whatever.

I still find it odd that they made Gordon Batman.  Or rather that they changed up his appearance like that.  It's like they're trying too hard to make him younger.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3713 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »
Yeah I dunno. I can't see this lasting more than another year. State-funded Gordon robo-Bat-cop? I'm all for trying new things but I can easily see sales tanking when casual Bat-fans pick up an issue and go "WTF is this shit?"

I meant amnesia about being Batman at all.

Alfred has been conspicuously absent through all this, too.

Also, in the last issue of Grayson they played it like Dick didn't know Bruce was alive at all. Plot hole!

Tasty

« Reply #3714 on: July 15, 2015, 01:48:54 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/EPAyB (Justice League #42)

Geoff...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #3715 on: July 15, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
I read Grant Morrison's Nameless #1 - 4. It's p. cool, it's like Armageddon + At the Mountains of Madness. It's about this occult expert named "Nameless" (he forfeited his name to prevent anyone from using his true name to gain power over him) who gets recruited by this Gazillionaire techie who's mounting a mission to stop this extinction-level asteroid from colliding from Earth. The asteroid has a three-mile wide occult symbol carved into and is broadcasting a message in a celestial language basically saying "Get rekt, humanity". Bad stuff ensues, reality starts to get all wibbly-wobbly, and somehow it all ties back to a classified government project that Nameless was involved in called Razor House.

The art has this weird style varies from cartoonish to grotesque, but it's really effective.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3716 on: July 15, 2015, 03:57:56 PM »
http://imgur.com/a/EPAyB (Justice League #42)

Geoff...

DA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

BAT-GOD!
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3717 on: July 15, 2015, 06:17:14 PM »
Read Grant Morrison's Fantastic Four 1234.  I've realized at this point I just don't like Grant Morrison's comics.  At least not his takes on Marvel characters.  The pacing always feels bad, the plots border on nonsensical and half the characters are unlikeable dicks (see: 2001's Marvel Boy).  I appreciate all the new stuff he brought to the New X-men refresh he did, but otherwise when I pick up a comic and it's written by Morrison I know to keep expectations low.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3718 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
Where Monsters Dwell: Am still trying to figure out what the hell this has to do with Secret Wars.  The original comic series was a horror anthology that Marvel released in the 1970s, with various monsters and the like.  This comic has a 1920s setting and the characters journey to a Savage Land-like setting with dinosaurs.  No real "monsters" to be found as of issue three.  No real references to Battleworld or Doom either, for that-- the main character even yells "Jesus Christ!!" (Should have been Doom's name) at one point.  :lol 

The story so far is that main character Karl Kaufmann -a British WW1 airforce veteran and not the nazi party member...bad choice of naming there, Mr. Ennis- is hired by Clemmie Franklin-Cox to fly her somewhere, but they get lost in a thunderstorm and wind up in a savage world, fighting off dinosaurs.  Karl is immediately shown to be a womanizing asshole and tries to put the movies on Clemmie, who rejects him.  They then get captured by a group of half-naked Shanna The She-Devil-lookalikes (and surprise, surprise- Frank Cho is doing the covers  :lol) and Clemmie eagerly sheds her clothes for a leopard bikini and joins the tribe...because she also likes the ladies, you see, and figures there's no way they'll ever get home.  There's no men in the tribe and this is because they kill most of the men who come around and keep a few locked up, to masturbate for their seed.  The latest issue ends with our hero being stripped naked and brought before a tiny chopping block, meant to be used to cut off his junk.  Yes, I'm serious.  This is the plot of a Secret Wars comic called "Where Monsters Dwell."   :lol

Read Grant Morrison's Fantastic Four 1234.  I've realized at this point I just don't like Grant Morrison's comics.  At least not his takes on Marvel characters.  The pacing always feels bad, the plots border on nonsensical and half the characters are unlikeable dicks (see: 2001's Marvel Boy).  I appreciate all the new stuff he brought to the New X-men refresh he did, but otherwise when I pick up a comic and it's written by Morrison I know to keep expectations low.

Not a big fan of his work, either.  I still have never liked New X-Men.  Frank Quietly's art is also just  :yuck.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3719 on: July 16, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
I feel like Marvel is using the "Secret Wars" label to try to wring some extra sales out of some otherwise obscure comics that few people actually care about.
dog